PDA

View Full Version : Players whose names are never spoken correctly.

siddharthrajpal
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
it is so irritating when people call "na li" "li na" and rest of the Chinese players ... even the chair umpire does that :rolleyes:
and so far i have never heard anyone say agnes szavay's name correctly..
which other player are humilited with this manner?

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
it is so irritating when people call "na li" "li na" and rest of the Chinese players ... even the chair umpire does that :rolleyes:
That's how it should be said. :shrug:

Sammo
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Henin

iGOAT
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM
That's how it should be said. :shrug:
Right :spit::tape:.

How about Cagla Buyukakcay...

Kipling
Well, we've had multiple threads on how to say "Mirza"....

Kipling

How about Cagla Buyukakcay...

I can't even spell that.

wildemu
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Safina

wozniacki

Kipling
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:03 PM
There's always Akgul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRD7Or3qH64

KournikovaFan91
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:05 PM
How will umpires deal with Zarah Razafimahatratra when she hits the pro circut :lol:

hdfb
Safarova for sure.

Vanity Bonfire
When you say a person's name in Chinese, you address them by surname first and then their first name, so commentators are totally right calling her Li Na. At least I think so, anyway.

We have to get NA-MUG on this.

Vanity Bonfire
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Safarova for sure.

And Benesova.

siddharthrajpal
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
When you say a person's name in Chinese, you address them by surname first and then their first name, so commentators are totally right calling her Li Na. At least I think so, anyway.

tennis umpire say the first name first no matter what they do in chinese :unsure:

sarah7
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Henin by the American commentators in particular

Mynarco
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:11 PM
szavay.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Yes.:)

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM

What he said:

:shrug:

Ksenia.
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
People usually fail to put emphasis on a right syllable in Russian last names I think :scratch: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Safina, Dementieva etc

spiceboy
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Same with Spanish players when retarded commentators call them by their second surname :weirdo:

Yesterday, in the Rezai vs APS the guy was calling her Santonja all the time or when they call MJMS just Sánchez :tape:

Just Do It
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
There's always Akgul:

I was thinking about this video some days ago :sobbing:
Gotta love how Akgul makes a " WTF " face :sobbing:

Svetlana)))
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:33 PM
It's a peculiar situation with Li Na. Her name by itself is Li Na, with Li being the surname. If she follows the Western style of addressing a person by his/her surname, wouldn't she still be called Li Na? I totally do not understand how Na Li came about because her surname is Li. This is coming from a Chinese :)

nevetssllim
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Djokovic, even nowadays. :rolleyes:

Sammo
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:41 PM
In Roland Garros they say StoSUUUUGGGGGGGG

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM
People usually fail to put emphasis on a right syllable in Russian last names I think :scratch: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Safina, Dementieva etc
Can you write phonetically what syllable(s) should be emphasized in those 4 names?

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Chair umpire Alves saying Zvorenova.

I don't know the right way to say it, but the way it comes out when Alves says it strange.
And she seems tense or nervous pronoucing it.

Bud Collin trying pronounce any Russian name, especially Sharapova.

PamShriver
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
With the Russians is it supposed to be pronounced: sha-ROP-ova? With the Czechs is it nav-ra-TEE-lova?

ajmo!
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
i remember one guy on tennisradio who called Lucic Lubicic.. :lol:
Also she's Lučić, not Lucik like many people call her.
Same thing with Šprem and Tomljanović.

DefyingGravity
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
With the Russians is it supposed to be pronounced: sha-ROP-ova? With the Czechs is it nav-ra-TEE-lova?

Yeah...it's sorta like that, which makes the French Open one of the only tournaments to say it right.

Petkorazzi
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I think the Li Na example was used because they say " Game, Li Na " sometimes while they don't say " Game, Serena Williams ", just the family name. :shrug: May be mistaken though.

DefyingGravity
i remember one guy on tennisradio who called Lucic Lubicic.. :lol:
Also she's Lučić, not Lucik like many people call her.
Same thing with Šprem and Tomljanović.

See, I would say it like that if the ESPN people would bother to put the little "Czech hook" (as I call it, I don't know the real terminology) so I can add that sound in.

tennisbum79
Thanks. How about Zvorenova?

Petkorazzi
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM
"zvanariova" roughly.

iGOAT
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I HATE HATE HATE when commentators don't use the full name :weirdo: like MJMS as "Maria Sanchez" or LDL as "Lourdes Lino" or AMG as "Anabel Medina" or MLDB as "de Brito" and the list goes on and on :sobbing:.

Also, people always pronounce Patty "Schneeder" as "Schneider".

iGOAT
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Zvorenova :spit::weirdo:?

DefyingGravity
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:03 PM
My grandmother calls Zvonareva "Zvonavera"...SO CLOSE!

To her:

Vaidisova = Vladisova
Capriati = Capurati
Hantuchova = Hatchinova
Kuznetsova = Kutznetsova
Ivanovic = Ionovic
Jankovic = Junkovic

It's a little bit of a travesty.

fouc
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Chair umpire Alves saying Zvorenova.

I don't know the right way to say it, but the way it comes out when Alves says it strange.
And she seems tense or nervous pronoucing it.

I wanted to say Zvonareva, but... with an exception of Alves. It was the only I heard Vera's surname been pronounced correctly.

Domachowska, Wozniacki, Lisicki, Hradecka

iGOAT
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I've heard "Koonsetova" many a time for Sveta.

Polikarpov
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Can you write phonetically what syllable(s) should be emphasized in those 4 names?

Hope this helps. Russian names starts at 2:31
E-V0Gtj4BZ0

Beat
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
i go with henin, english speaking people never get that name right.

HuHu
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Doubles pair Aina Rafolomanantsiatosika / Nantenaina Ramalalaharivololona must be a real challenge for the umpires :lol:

Kipling
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Doubles pair Aina Rafolomanantsiatosika / Nantenaina Ramalalaharivololona must be a real challenge for the umpires :lol:

Man, I would just call them "R & R"....

Acinolbaj
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hantuchova

KournikovaFan91
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Can I clear this up.

Why do some Spanish use both their name? particularly the women.

Like Conchita Martinez only used one name but all others seem to use both. :shrug:

Singleniacki
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Marion has it too.

She gets a lot of people saying

Bar - tow - lee

Instead of

Bar - teh - lee

I'm not sure how you prononuce Dulgheru.

I've heard, dul - ger - roo and dul - her - roo

frenchie
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
In the video, Henin's name is wrong!

It's Henin like Hénin

rockstar
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
E-V0Gtj4BZ0

Li LINLIN

:hysteric:

Ramos
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Clijsters obviously. But everyone so used to it being pronounced the way they do it, it would almost sound weird if the English or French speaking (outside of Belgium) commentators did it correctly.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Bud is the only western commentator that calls it correctly.

Julian.
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Zheng Jie

I don't even know how to pronounce it correctly :lol:

Ellery
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Jie's name is kind of butchered, but for the most part, it sounds right-ish. It's hard to make the jie sound correctly, so saying Jay is about as close as you can get, I guess :shrug:

Zheng is pronounced relatively well for the most part.

Julian.
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Jie's name is kind of butchered, but for the most part, it sounds right-ish. It's hard to make the jie sound correctly, so saying Jay is about as close as you can get, I guess :shrug:

Zheng is pronounced relatively well for the most part.

How to pronounce Zheng Jie correctly btw?

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Li LINLIN

Very useful.

Thank you very much.

French, Italian, Spanish, American, British, Serbian, Belgian names where what I expected.
Most Russian names is what I had expected, still Zvorenova is abit difficult for me.
Except for Li Na, the other chinese names are still a bit of challenged for me.

The Italian and Spanish names pronunciation were the most beautiful.
Going in, I thought it would be the Russian.

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Bud is the only western commentator that calls it correctly.
Yeah, after reading the phonetic. I must say I was surprised.

Now Bud is a true tennis historian.
But it is stil difficut to watch how his mouth goes into some contorsion while sayng Sharapova.

Bud also says "Justine" correctly.

Rising Sun
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
E-V0Gtj4BZ0
The woman said the Japanese names the wrong way around. :tape:

Ellery
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Jie sounds like jiay. But the j sound is very soft, not sure how to explain it.

Zheng sounds like Jheng.

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Jie sounds like jiay. But the j sound is very soft, not sure how to explain it.

Zheng sounds like Jheng.
You mean how Spanish pronounces 'j'?

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty used to Dinara Safina's name being pronounced "sa-FEE-nuh" but I noticed while watching the 09 Aussie Open final that the commentators were calling her "SAFF-in-uh" the entire time.

Ellery
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM
You mean how Spanish pronounces 'j'?

No. :p

It's not anything like the Spanish J. :p

gentzy
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I would go with the one I've heard one too many times being butchered...It's Cirstea...They always stress out the last syllable, the tea..I goes like Cirs - téča alltogether :)) Actually her name doesn't have any stress on any syllable...it's Cîrstea, but with the romanian î it gets difficult to pronounce it...

clonesheep
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:30 PM

Na Li is called "Li Na" in her own country. Incidentally, Agnes Szavay is called "Szavay Agnes" in her own country.

Polikarpov
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM

You could hear it at 1:05 of the video posted. The letter J in Jie sounds to me like something in between T and Ch.

clonesheep
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I would say the most widely mispronunced name is Lucie Safarova. To begin with, it's not "Lucy" but "Lutsjie".

supergrunt
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
E-V0Gtj4BZ0

Safarova's pronunciation tripped me out :scared: .

njnetswill
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Chinese is also hard because it is a tonal language. So Zheng Jie is fourth tone (like when you curse "shit!"), second tone (rising like when you ask "oh?"). I think anyway. Someone can correct me. :lol:

To me, the Chinese "Zh" has always sounded like the French "Je"? :shrug:

I love it when Navratilova commentates when Czechs are playing :hearts: Sha-FAH-fuhva or whatever for Safarova.

WhoAmI?
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Someone once posted this video in a similar thread:
RRqAa8f-CAY

Personally I find Zheng Jie hard to pronounce.

On the topic: Russian names pronunciation. I know that they don't say the Czech names correctly either, but it doesn't bother me since in my head I say their names the same way:p

wateva
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
What's wrong with calling Li Na Li Na? Chinese names are supposed to be pronounced with their surname first. Anyone who thinks that is a mistake is just disrespectful to the chinese culture. Also, japanese players are supposed to have their surnames pronounced first. Eg. Sugiyama Ai; Morita Ayumi.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Pennetta seems impossible to be pronounced right by all the americans :o

Mynarco
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Chinese is also hard because it is a tonal language. So Zheng Jie is fourth tone (like when you curse "shit!"), second tone (rising like when you ask "oh?"). I think anyway. Someone can correct me. :lol:

To me, the Chinese "Zh" has always sounded like the French "Je"? :shrug:

I love it when Navratilova commentates when Czechs are playing :hearts: Sha-FAH-fuhva or whatever for Safarova.

Yup:)

Geertvg
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
No one ever does Clijsters right...

Sean.
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Šafářová = SHAFF-aar-zhov-aa

Zvonareva too is always mispronounced, I've only ever heard Alves get it right!

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
No one ever does Clijsters right...
it is horrible sometimes! :)

when I was in my hotel in New York last September, I saw two older ladies coming to the elevator with hats from the US Open and I didn't know if Kim won her 2nd round against Bartoli that day, so I asked them if they knew what Clijsters (pronounced as in Dutch ) did, and they looked at me like 'what are you saying?', so I repeated my question pronouncing it like umpires and commentators always do, and immediately got my answer "Ooooh, Kim, she won and she was so sweet"

the Amanmuradova-video is hilarious

Fantasy Hero
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
how to spell Zvonareva
ZJ1SbjiVLqw

:happy:

Elisse
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Most people pronounce Akgul Amanmuradova wrong, and especially the Umpires at Wimbledon, they really make a mess of her name there..and in the US too :o

Also have heard some terrible pronunciations of Yaroslava Shvedova's surname :help:

SVK
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Wozniacki, Lisicki and everybody with "cki" aren´t never spoken recently

And Safarova is very hard to pronounce, I think just Czech´s know how to pronounce it right, this "ř" is very hard to pronounce for Non-czechs:lol:

pav
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I remember the pudding coming out and saying her name should be pronounced "Claysters" once, but no bugger took any notice.
They must ask players who come to Auckland and then they give it it a good go, Decheee, and Camy Parn, and they didn't do the standard "Dement e ava "

Keegan
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Lucie Safarova's name is terrifyingly difficult to pronounce...

Julian.
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Someone once posted this video in a similar thread:
RRqAa8f-CAY

Personally I find Zheng Jie hard to pronounce.

On the topic: Russian names pronunciation. I know that they don't say the Czech names correctly either, but it doesn't bother me since in my head I say their names the same way:p

Thank you for the video! :lol:

Kipling
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I know the American commentators say "Kleb-a-KNOW-vuh" and the Eurosport commentators say "Kluh-BAH-na-vuh".

Ksenia.
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I know the American commentators say "Kleb-a-KNOW-vuh" and the Eurosport commentators say "Kluh-BAH-na-vuh".

It's something like "Kley-BAH-na-vuh" in fact :scratch:

Gallofa
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Can I clear this up.

Why do some Spanish use both their name? particularly the women.

Like Conchita Martinez only used one name but all others seem to use both. :shrug:

Well, we all have (at least) three names, same as Anglo-Saxon people, who have a first, a middle and a last name.

Only, in our case, we have a first name (sometimes two, e.g. María José) and two last names. The 1st last name is the father's 1st last name. The 2nd last name is the mother's 1st last name. So the 2nd last name is as important as the 1st (particularly to women) because it is your mother's family name, and a lot of people do not like to drop it.

Soooo. If say, Rafa Nadal married Serena Williams in Spain, and they had a baby girl named Jupiter, she would be Jupiter Nadal Williams. That would be her official name and she would had to use it for all things official. If she was a tennis player, it would be up to her to be called only Jupiter Nadal or to use the full name, but probably, out of respect for her mom, she would go for the full thing.

Did that make sense? :lol:

Bobisa
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Pavlyuchenkova
Amanmuradova
Harkleroad
Yanina Wickmayer

SVK
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I still don´t believe, that most people think that pronouncing Wozniaki is right:weirdo:

Sammy Stones
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
There's always Akgul:

the name and her reaction :hysteric:

MB.
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:25 PM
How about calling Ana Ivanovic 'ANNA', or pronouncing 'Jelena (Jankovic)' as 'yell-EY-nah' instead of 'YELL-e-na'?

Annoying as shit, but then again, those are just my two peeves because those are my top 2. Jankovic also isn't pronounced Janko-vick....

KournikovaFan91
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Well, we all have (at least) three names, same as Anglo-Saxon people, who have a first, a middle and a last name.

Only, in our case, we have a first name (sometimes two, e.g. María José) and two last names. The 1st last name is the father's 1st last name. The 2nd last name is the mother's 1st last name. So the 2nd last name is as important as the 1st (particularly to women) because it is your mother's family name, and a lot of people do not like to drop it.

Soooo. If say, Rafa Nadal married Serena Williams in Spain, and they had a baby girl named Jupiter, she would be Jupiter Nadal Williams. That would be her official name and she would had to use it for all things official. If she was a tennis player, it would be up to her to be called only Jupiter Nadal or to use the full name, but probably, out of respect for her mom, she would go for the full thing.

Did that make sense? :lol:

Yes that made sense.

I knew the whole two name thing was mandatory for official stuff but I just wondered why some women use two names and others use one, also what if you get married and want to take your husbands name?

Sammy Stones
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I HATE HATE HATE when commentators don't use the full name :weirdo: like MJMS as "Maria Sanchez" or LDL as "Lourdes Lino" or AMG as "Anabel Medina" or MLDB as "de Brito" and the list goes on and on :sobbing:.

Also, people always pronounce Patty "Schneeder" as "Schneider".

if you're only going to say Michelle's last name it doesn't make sense to say the 'de'. just say Brito. 'de' just means 'of' and it only sounds right if you say another name. Michelle of Brito.

not as strange as the way that (at least) the RG production used Rossana de los Rios' name on the on-screen score. they just had 'De'. Rossana of the Rivers becomes 'Of' on screen. :hysteric:

Yes that made sense.

I knew the whole two name thing was mandatory for official stuff but I just wondered why some women use two names and others use one, also what if you get married and want to take your husbands name?

you add the name and end up with 3 last names.

in portugal (and spain too, I think) it's somewhat common for people to have 3, 4 or even 5 last names.

Wiggly
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM
And Benesova.

Yeah, the "s" is more of a "sh" than a "ssss".

mure
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I thought Lisicki's name was pronounced "Lisi-TS-ki" until i wathed her bag check..it's lisi-K-i

Lucie Safarova's name is terrifyingly difficult to pronounce...

what's her father's name?Safar or Safarov?Czech girls have names similar to Russians but that's not the case with the males..i've wondered about this..

Sammo
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Oh God!! :eek: :bolt:

Sammo
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I thought Lisicki's name was pronounced "Lisi-TS-ki" until i wathed her bag check..it's lisi-K-i

what's her father's name?Safar or Safarov?Czech girls have names similar to Russians but that's not the case with the males..i've wondered about this..

Maybe Safari :happy:

égalité
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Pretty much every player from Russia.

Keegan
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM

It's Safar I believe. Like Hantuchova's brother and father are 'Hantuch' and Navratilova's step-father is 'Navratil'.

SVK
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM

I believe it´s Safar...Czech male surname didn´t finish with -ov mostly...and I´m surprised about Lisi-K-i...She maybe can be called Lisi-K-i but the right way is Lisitski for sure...Also I heard that Wozniacki wants to be called Woznia-K-i..dunno why, just because it sounds better in English?:shrug:

cellophane
Jul 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Pretty much every player from Russia.

God yeah. DementiEva is so cringeworthy. Strange, because they started out calling her DemEntieva.

Привет
Jul 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I believe it´s Safar...Czech male surname didn´t finish with -ov mostly...and I´m surprised about Lisi-K-i...She maybe can be called Lisi-K-i but the right way is Lisitski for sure...Also I heard that Wozniacki wants to be called Woznia-K-i..dunno why, just because it sounds better in English?:shrug:

Probably because they realise it's far easier for them to just accept the way English speakers will say their name rather than try to teach them the correct way. An English speaker with no knowledge of Polish names or language would look at 'Wozniacki' and see 'Woz-nee-ack-ee' not 'Voz-nee-ats-skee' or whatever the correct Polish pronunciation is.

I think a lot of players would find it much easier to just accept the Anglicised version of their name. :shrug:

xan
Jul 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Double Post. :o

xan
Jul 9th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I remember they asked Maria about whether she objected to being called SharaPOva rather than ShaRApova. She just said something like "It's probably too late to change that now."

I notice though when they give her name in Russian broadcasts they don't say either. It sort of comes out as a slurred sort of "ShaRApoyyy"

égalité
Jul 9th, 2010, 11:40 PM
God yeah. DementiEva is so cringeworthy. Strange, because they started out calling her DemEntieva.

ZvonarEva is the worst for me :hysteric:

I just can't get over how they always put the stress on the O-va: SharaPOva, KleybaNOva, etc... except they say KuzNETsova, even though Kuznetsova is one of the few names where it's actually correct to stress the second to last syllable. :spit:

LightWarrior
Jul 9th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Mariana Alves saying "Zvonareva" during the the Wimbly final. Can this poor woman be ever right ?

Sean.
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Mariana Alves saying "Zvonareva" during the the Wimbly final. Can this poor woman be ever right ?

The way Alves said it is the correct pronouncation. :tape:

LightWarrior
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM
The way Alves said it is the correct pronouncation. :tape:

so she's making up for her poor umpiring by spelling Russians' players the native way ? Alves, you score !!!

aisha
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Chakvedatze, I mean Chakvetadze.

She was a top 10 player, I would think Mary Jo or Pam would know how pronounce it by now. :o

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
It always used to bug me when commentators said "Sperm" instead of "Sprem" :rolleyes:

cellophane
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:48 AM
ZvonarEva is the worst for me :hysteric:

I just can't get over how they always put the stress on the O-va: SharaPOva, KleybaNOva, etc... except they say KuzNETsova, even though Kuznetsova is one of the few names where it's actually correct to stress the second to last syllable. :spit:

I know, right? Epic :sobbing:

Caipirinha Guy
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Agnieszka Radwańska is never pronounced correctly.

Caipirinha Guy
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:55 AM
It always used to bug me when commentators said "Sperm" instead of "Sprem" :rolleyes:

Actually it should be pronounced Shprem. :)

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Okay.. So like in the name Šprem, how would the "S" with the accent be pronounced?

Or names with the accent over the "c", like: Ivanović. How is that pronounced?

Is it "Shprem" and "Ivanovich"? (in very simple phonetics :lol: ). Š = sh and ć = ch?

Caipirinha Guy
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Š is sh
Č is ch
ć is not ch. :p
http://www.ivona.com/

Switch to Polish voice and write Ivanović. (pronouncation the same in Polish as in Croatian/Serbian)

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Š is sh
Č is ch
ć is not ch. :p
http://www.ivona.com/

Switch to Polish voice and write Ivanović. (pronouncation the same in Polish as in Croatian/Serbian)

It sounds to me like she's saying Ivanovich :lol:. I'm just an ignorant American :sobbing:

Joana
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Is it "Shprem" and "Ivanovich"? (in very simple phonetics :lol: ). Š = sh and ć = ch?

To put it very simply, yes. Serbian "ć" is somewhat "softer" than the English "ch", while "č" (though I can't think of a player whose name contains that sound) is "harder". But that's really not a distinction non-native speakers can notice, so it's not that important.

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:23 AM
To put it very simply, yes. Serbian "ć" is somewhat "softer" than the English "ch", while "č" (though I can't think of a player whose name contains that sound) is "harder". But that's really not a distinction non-native speakers can notice, so it's not that important.

So "ć" is more of an "sch" sound? :lol:

Okay, I understand :yeah: Thank you :)

kiwialicat
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I always thought Justine Henin was relatively easy to pronounce. But seeing as people are saying its pronounced wrong, how do you actually say it?

and how do actually pronouce Lucie Šafářová and Clijsters?

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I always thought Justine Henin was relatively easy to pronounce. But seeing as people are saying its pronounced wrong, how do you actually say it?

Well, with French pronounciation, Henin is: En-ah. I've always assumed (and heard) that it's pronounced that way.

I think people were reffering to all those who call her Hen-In, or Hen-ah even.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Oudin

Steven.
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM
if you guys post a name can you post the correct pronunciation with it too, because I haave difficulty saying a lot of them correctly. ;x

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:16 AM
if you guys post a name can you post the correct pronunciation with it too, because I haave difficulty saying a lot of them correctly. ;x

Agnieszka Radwańska: Ag-nee-esch-ka Rahd-vahn-sh-kah
Karolina Šprem: Kare-oh-lee-nah Shprem
Ana Ivanović: Ah-nah Ee-van-oh-veech
Jelena Janković: Yeh-lay-nah Yan-kho-veech
Lucie Šafářová: not even going to attempt this one phonetically :haha:. Something like: Loo-chee Sha-fah (almost like in apple)-zhoh-vah

[above names compliments of www.ivanova.com]

Justine Henin: Just-een Eh-nah (but the "J" isn't really a J sound, it's a lot softer, almost like "Shh")
Melanie Oudin: Her last name is tougher to write. It's kind of: Oo-dah. The end should sound about like the end of Henin, but maybe a little harder. Oo-dahn, but not quite. :lol:

cellophane
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Clijstersova :inlove: ;)

heart
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:01 AM
williams.

Steven.
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:17 AM
looks like I've been getting radwanska's, ana's, jelena's right at least. Didn't know the final n in Henin's name was silent.

ty twight.

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:27 AM
looks like I've been getting radwanska's, ana's, jelena's right at least. Didn't know the final n in Henin's name was silent.

ty twight.

Sometimes, English-speakers will pronounce the "n," but like 99% of French words, the end isn't pronounced. Rendezvous, for example, it's pronounced rahn-dez-voos, it's rahn-day-voo. The "z" and the "s" are swallowed up. Henin is from a part of Belgium with mostly French speakers, so I'm assuming her name follows French pronounciation. One of the reasons why many people prefer Spanish (where virtually every letter has a sound) to French (where a lot of letters just aren't pronounced in words) when it comes to speaking/learning it :lol:

Another French player, Julie Coin, for example. It isn't pronounced like the English word "coin," but instead like... "qua," with a nasal ending where the "n" is basically swallowed up. Same thing with Camille Pin.. It isn't the English word "Pin," but instead "Pan" with a very weak, nasally "n" that isn't really pronounced. And lastly Alize Cornet.. It isn't Cor-net, but instead Cor-nay, your voice just stops on the "t." Or Pauline Parmentier. Not Par-men-teer, but instead Par-mehn-tee-ay. And for Marie-Eve Pelletier, it's not Pell-et-eer, but Pell-eh-tee-ay (she's French Canadian).

Same with Oudin. However, that is more American-ized, so you will often here it as "Oo-dan," and the ending is pronounced.

And that's my French lesson for the day :lol: I hope French posters out there agree with me :unsure:

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM
williams.

Right up there with Li :lol:

Havok
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Jelena DAHkic courtesy of Ping Pong Pam.

hellas719
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Most names :shrug:
The worst is Schnyder though :rolls:. All Americans say "Schneider" when it's really "Schneeder" :lol:

hellas719
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM
E-V0Gtj4BZ0

The Chinese guy is wearing a Greek football jersey :inlove:
And the Czech guy is scary :scared:

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Most names :shrug:
The worst is Schnyder though :rolls:. All Most Americans say "Schneider" when it's really "Schneeder" :lol:

I fixed it for you ;)

I've always pronounced it Schneeder, and I've been criticized more than once for referring to American "Schneiders" as "Schneeders" :p :lol:

omoruyi
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM
mo-NEE-ka she-LE-sch?

Albireo
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
See, I would say it like that if the ESPN people would bother to put the little "Czech hook" (as I call it, I don't know the real terminology) so I can add that sound in.

It's called a hacek (hah-CHECK). (It's occasionally called a caron, if you're in printing/typesetting.)

Albireo
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Wozniacki, Lisicki and everybody with "cki" aren´t never spoken recently

And Safarova is very hard to pronounce, I think just Czech´s know how to pronounce it right, this "ř" is very hard to pronounce for Non-czechs:lol:

In the olden days, you could say "pronounce it like in 'Dvořak'" and many people would get it. Not sure that would help as many people now.

One of the reasons it's hard for non-Czechs is that it's a phoneme pretty much unique to Czech; a few other languages (Sorbian, for one) have the same grapheme ("letter," i.e. ř), but it's not pronounced the same as in Czech. For what it's worth, the technical term for it is "alveolar trill fricative," and its phonetic symbol is /r̝/; it's so rare that it doesn't even have a phonetic symbol of its own.

/ask me about my labiodental flap

Aryman3
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Radwa-ń-ska like in Spanish Ni-n-a

GeeTee
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:51 AM
It's funny when two commentators for the same match pronounce the name differently. This has happened plenty of times on Aussie TV particularly when Fred Stolle is commentating :)
Player Aussie TV Fred Stolle
Safina Safin-a Sa-FEE-na
Clijsters Clay-sters Kim
Zvonareva Zvona-raver The Russian

Though even Fred pronounces Enn-a correctly.

Jajaloo
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Serena Williams smh.

Pron: Sar-in Willams-ova.

olivero
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Radwa-ń-ska like in Spanish Ni-n-a

ń is just like Spanish ń

so you could also say Radwańska ;)

but Aga's name and surname are often mispronounced.
Agnieszka is often 'Agneska' while it should be Agnee-eshka
Radwańska is usually called 'Rad-one-ska' while it's Rad-VAŃ-ska

all the surnames with Polish origin are usually pronounced incorrectly. But it's true that most of these players want people to say their names in English version. I guess it's just for practical reasons. However when Caro was in Poland she asked commentators to call her with her Polish name: Karolina Woźniacka.

anyway correct way to say Polish names would be something like:
Lisicki: Li-shee-ts-ki (while 'shee' sound is very soft between shee and see)
Woźniacki: Vozhee-nee-ats-ki (this one is hard. ź is somewhat like jie/zhee also very soft and 'nee' is like knee in English but shorter)
Woźniak: same as Woźniacki only ending with a strong K

and Domachowska is do-ma-HOV-ska (not DOW-ma-ko-vska)

Ramos
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Well, Klaysters comes probably closest to Clijsters. But it's certainly not Kl-eye-sters. There's an audio sample on her English wikipage that pronounces it perfectly if you want to hear it.

Henin is a French name so it's different. The H and the last N is silent. If a French speaking person would read the fictional word "énain" in French s/he would have pronounced her name. You can hear it here i think. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Justine_henin.ogg

Caralenko
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It's funny when two commentators for the same match pronounce the name differently. This has happened plenty of times on Aussie TV particularly when Fred Stolle is commentating :)
Safina Safin-a Sa-FEE-na
Clijsters Clay-sters Kim

I love Fred :sobbing: He's gone completely senile.

MAGIKARPETTA
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
PENNETTA is not
p-e-n-č-r-a
or
p-e-n-e-t-a

:o

It is Flavia Pennetta: 2 N and 2 T

i LOVED how the speaker called Francesca after she won Roland Garros final
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNbgxtC62Bs

at 1:25 Francesca Schiavoooone :lol:

kiwialicat
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I still have absolutely no idea how to say Lucie Šafářová. I think I'm pretty much okay with everyone else.

gsm86
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:25 AM
at 1:25 Francesca Schiavoooone :lol:

At least he didn't call her Francesca Schiavonč :shrug:

There is an American commentator who can not speak Fognini's name...he always says Fabio FROG-NINI :lol:

Hakapeszi
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I still have absolutely no idea how to say Lucie Šafářová. I think I'm pretty much okay with everyone else.

http://www.forvo.com/word/lucie_šafářová/

FrOzon
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM
She maybe can be called Lisi-K-i but the right way is Lisitski for sure...

There's no "right" way. Lisi-K-i is just the German way to pronounce it...

cosmoose
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Sabine Lisicki's first name is almost always mispronounced in US.

people pronounce it "Sah-been"
but actually her name is pronounced "Zuh-bee-na"

gsm86
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:42 AM
how to spell Zvonareva
ZJ1SbjiVLqw

:happy:

:haha:

Italian commentators :smash:

Pops Maellard
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sabine Lisicki's first name is almost always mispronounced in US.

people pronounce it "Sah-been"
but actually her name is pronounced "Zuh-bee-na"
On Youtube 'bag check' series Sabine pronounces it herself like, "Suh-been", I wonder why. :p

FrOzon
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:56 AM
On Youtube 'bag check' series Sabine pronounces it herself like, "Suh-been", I wonder why. :p

Little bit strange... but maybe she just wanted to "americanize" it?

Sabine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TmAGhFcqE)

cosmoose
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
She pronounces her name in "American" way in America because she is so used to having people call her Sah-been.

She explained it to one of her twitter follower

@kevin33000 I simply got use to be called this way in the states.:) In Germany its still "Zabinee" ;)
4:12 AM Jun 11th via Twitter for BlackBerryŽ in reply to kevin33000

Kworb
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
They never pronounce the B in Ivanovic :sad:

Shepster
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Also I heard that Wozniacki wants to be called Woznia-K-i..dunno why, just because it sounds better in English?:shrug:
I remember her talking about this last year around Wimbledon, she said that she's Danish and she wants her name to be pronounced how it is there, not how it is in Poland.

cosmoose
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
They never pronounce the B in Ivanovic :sad:
you prefer Ivanobitch? ;)

Gallofa
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Yes that made sense.

You cannot take your husband's name. Nor can he take yours ;). Nor can you add his name to yours (as some people in other countries seem to do, adding an hyphen.)

For all things official, the name remains the same after marriage. Changing names is a VERY big deal in Spain, it's nearly impossible.

Unofficially, (and going back to my fictional marriage), they would normally be called Mr. and Mrs. Nadal Williams. It's the family name for everyone: children and family unit. They'd be the Nadal Williams family. Hardly any woman would say I am Mrs. Husband Surname, unless she was trying to clarify who she was and why she was there to someone, in a "you know my husband but not me" type situation.

Ksenia.
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
btw commentators often say Kanepi... It's Kanepi in fact.

Jajaloo
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
US commentators always called JJ Yan-ker-vick.

Roger Rasheed calls her JANK-ker-vick.

volta
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
believe it or not but one of the Portuguese commentators (i forgot his name) can't spell Venus , nor Williams nor can he say Hingis the right way :o he often says HANG-Ins :sobbing:
The worst thing is that he has people on his side commentating the matches with him spelling it correctly and he still doesn't get it :sobbing:

rockstar
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Li LINLIN

The Chinese guy is wearing a Greek football jersey :inlove:

the chinese guy is LINLIN, from TF right? why am i the only one pointing this out? :sobbing:

Keadz
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Vera's last name is still too hard to pronounce for me...I find that the hardest :lol:

Tanja8
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Tadeja Majerič, Andreja Klepač, Andrea Hlaváčková ...;)
With Maša Zec Peškirič I`m not quite sure ... I believe her surname is originally Peškirić, but in Slovenia it`s mostly written as Peškirič. Slovenian language doesn`t have "ć" but we write it in foreign names (Serbian and Croatian). (and mostly we don`t bother with different pronunciation)

Lisicki and Wozniacki - their names are of Polish origin and in Poland they are pronounced with "-tski". Since they live in Danmark and Germany they (or their parents) probably decided they would accept their way to pronounce it. It`s annoying to correct people every day and it˙s easier just to accept it. And obviously they decided to give their daughter name "Wozniacki", not "Wozniacka".
They could have decided to change their name to "Lissitski" or "whatever Danish people write to make them pronounce Wozniatski".

I know many people from Serbia who live in USA and changed their name to "Yankovich" (or whatever other surname ending with "ć"). Obviously they prefer to have their name correctly pronounced and therefore accept different way of spelling.

"Zvonareva" case: I think they (I don`t know who;)) did the transliteration wrong. They should write "Zvonaryova" and there would be no problems at all.(Russian "ё" is transliterated as "yo" in English and "jo" in Slavic languages).

ptitnavet
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Names from Madagascar are pretty harsh to pronounce :lol:

Valisoa RAFOLOMANANTSIATOSIKA
Nantenaina RAMALALAHARIVOLOLONA
Zarah RAZAFIMAHATRATRA
Seheno RAZAFINDRAMASO
Lalatiana RANDRIAMANANTENA

frenchie
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Zarah RAZAFIMAHATRATRA
Seheno RAZAFINDRAMASO

Lol
This girl was once in my car when I had to drive her to the train station

Nice girl;)

twight6
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Safina Safin-a Sa-FEE-na
Clijsters Clay-sters Kim

:spit: :sobbing:

Sammy Stones
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:05 PM
believe it or not but one of the Portuguese commentators (i forgot his name) can't spell Venus , nor Williams nor can he say Hingis the right way :o he often says HANG-Ins :sobbing:
The worst thing is that he has people on his side commentating the matches with him spelling it correctly and he still doesn't get it :sobbing:

are you sure it's a portuguese commentator? it's the brazilians that tend to butcher foreign names.

Melange
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I love Fred :sobbing: He's gone completely senile.

:hysteric: He, Les Murray and Phil Liggett

volta
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
are you sure it's a portuguese commentator? it's the brazilians that tend to butcher foreign names.

Sim é um da Eurosport que normalmente comenta com o Mguel Seabra. Qcho que já foi capităo da nossa equipa sa fed cup ou qualquer coisa assim. Pior que ele só mesmo o pai da Frederica Piedade (ou Neuza Silva já nāo sei engano-me sempre :lol: )

V-MAC
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
The way that Tracy Austin says "Stosur" has always irked me:o

Jane Lane
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM
This has probably been mentioned already but the way most of the American commentators say Radwanska bothers me.

Albireo
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I know, right? Epic :sobbing:

It's pretty simple to understand why, though.

Humans tend to look for patterns in things. Americans/Westerners see -ova/eva/ëva on a name and--using a couple of familiar, famous examples--place the stress uniformly on the suffix-initial vowel. (Semi-regular spelling = regular pronunciation*, amirite?) It's rather the opposite of -son, where we realize that stress is always (almost, anyway) on a preceding syllable. (And don't forget the idiotic right-wing flap over the pronunciation of "Sotomayor.")

To take it a step further, consider the following name-suffixes from other languages, and how they're commonly pronounced in the States/the "West". Here, the commonly (rightly/wrongly) stressed vowel is in bold, and V stands for any allophonic variations of a vowel; also, these suffixes are not necessarily exclusive to the given languages:

-Vdze, -vili (Georgian)
-enko (Ukrainian)
-porn (Thai, stress on a previous syllable)
-polVs (Greek, here representing secondary stress)
-escu (Romanian)
-oglu (Turkish)
-dottir (Icelandic, stress on a previous syllable)
-nen (Finnish, stress on word-initial syllable)

Other than Finnish, I'm not really familiar with these languages and their stress patterns. But based on the pronunciations I've repeatedly heard from media figures, my initial instinct (as with most people, I suspect) is to pronounce all of these as written, until told otherwise.

:cool:

* :sarcasm:

LightWarrior
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
The way English-speaking people say Mauresmo. It's not Maurezmo. lol

Ferg
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM
akgul amanmuramoravavoova...

shega
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
so far, except for those from Madag., it's so easy to pronounce them ...maybe cause my native language doesn't develop such difficulties plus we've got almos all sounds or letters used before...And Zvonareva seems so easy...i might be some kinda alien here...

BluSthil
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Martina Navratalova must be in the top 10 ! It is pronounced: Na Vra Ta Lo Va

Most people pronounce it: Na va ta lo va

Lisickinator
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Navratilova ;)

Endru.
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:42 PM
noppawan lertchekwaran :spit:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
My commentators can't even pronounce Serena nor Venus correctly, let alone more complicated surnames :lol:

LightWarrior
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:06 PM

How so ?

iamme
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Szávay is just always awful :lol:

Shepster
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:53 AM
The guy on the livestream for the betting sites in the UK was calling her "Savvy" this week :tape::help::smash:

fouc
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:00 AM
My commentators can't even pronounce Serena nor Venus correctly, let alone more complicated surnames :lol:

:) If you mean polish commentators, you're bit too harsh I'd say. For me, it's acceptable to read their names like if they were polish (the difference isn't that big), as long as the surname is correct. And as much as I hate most of those commentators, I think that in comparison to what I get on streams, they make a exceptionally good job learning to pronounce the names! Of course, it's easier since 70% of players are eastern europeans, but still.

twight6
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM

Isn't it, Ah-g-n-eh-sh Sh-ahv-hi (the "sh" is harder than the typical sh and the "i" at the end is long)?

Joana
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Isn't it, Ah-g-n-eh-sh Sh-ahv-hi (the "sh" is harder than the typical sh and the "i" at the end is long)?

Not really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuqlgEEM6w
Here you can hear it, right in the beginning of the video. Note: it's said in the Hungarian name order, family name first, given name second.

twight6
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Not really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghuqlgEEM6w
Here you can hear it, right in the beginning of the video. Note: it's said in the Hungarian name order, family name first, given name second.

Hmm, interesting. I always though the Sz had more of an "h" in it, that it was much softer.

What about Agnes?

fouc
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I always thought the only thing to remember about Agnes Szavay is that, despite appearances, "s" in Agnes is more like "sh" and "sz" is basically a plain "s".

Joana
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Hmm, interesting. I always though the Sz had more of an "h" in it, that it was much softer.

What about Agnes?

Watch the video again, "Szavay Agnes" are the first words spoken in it. :p

twight6
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Watch the video again, "Szavay Agnes" are the first words spoken in it. :p

I thought he said "Szavay Agi" :confused:

Joana
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I'm confused now too. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm7ITzoAau0&feature=related
Here you can hear it clearly, at about 0:05.

DualMedia
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Serena and Venus williams! they always leaves the S out!

twight6
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM

:haha: Okay, thanks :yeah:

fouc
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:47 AM

So it's the second video where they pronounce her name YAgnesh :) On a previous one I though that "Y" comes from SzavaY being said first, but it doesn't seem this way here.

edificio
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:33 AM
If you look at the Tennis Channel YouTube bag check videos, most of these players use the international pronunciation of their names. Vera pronounces her name the same as many of the tennis commentators, and not like Mariana Alves. So, I guess she doesn't care that much that her name is mispronounced by much of the world.

I always wondered how Wozniacki could stand the way her name is butchered. Might be better to be called Sunshine.

Tripp
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM
As someone with a complicated to pronounce last name, I know you just end up getting used to the fact that no one will pronounce it right and just stop caring about it.-

twight6
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:59 AM
As someone with a complicated to pronounce last name, I know you just end up getting used to the fact that no one will pronounce it right and just stop caring about it.-

So true. Even though my last name is as simple as "Wight" (like the color), you wouldn't believe how many people pronounce it Wright, Wigget, etc.. Even when I spell it out for them, they still put the "r" in :rolleyes: I finally stopped caring a couple year ago :lol:

Svetlana)))
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I always thought the Agnes in Szavay was the same as the brand Agnes B. as in Ahn-NYAS

Pops Maellard
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Personally I always thought of Szavay as "Shuh-vye" before reading this thread. :lol:

Bruno71
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Jelena Janković: Yeh-lay-nah Yan-kho-veech

I think it's more like YEH-leh-nah

kittyking
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Nastya Rodionova - people around here just call her the bitchy one

Pops Maellard
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Nastya Rodionova - people around here just call her the bitchy one
Which is no lie. :secret:

Hakapeszi
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:43 AM

at 0:01 the man says 'Szávay Ági', at 0:06 the woman says 'Szávay Ágnes'

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
:) If you mean polish commentators, you're bit too harsh I'd say. For me, it's acceptable to read their names like if they were polish (the difference isn't that big), as long as the surname is correct. And as much as I hate most of those commentators, I think that in comparison to what I get on streams, they make a exceptionally good job learning to pronounce the names! Of course, it's easier since 70% of players are eastern europeans, but still.

No, it's killing me :o Both young and old Tomaszewski do that and it's awful. And Nowak fails to pronouce every more complicated name.

Hakapeszi
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:44 AM
So it's the second video where they pronounce her name YAgnesh :) On a previous one I though that "Y" comes from SzavaY being said first, but it doesn't seem this way here.

Here is the pronunciation using IPA symbols: ˈaːɡnɛʃ ˈsaːvɒ.i

Note
The "aː" is not the same sound as "Á", but sounds so close, so if you say it, you don't make a big mistake.

Gregorio87
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I always thought the only thing to remember about Agnes Szavay is that, despite appearances, "s" in Agnes is more like "sh" and "sz" is basically a plain "s".

Yeah that's the biggest problem with the pronounciation of her name, it's as simple as you wrote (s-sh, sz-s). The end of her her surname is so difficult for non Hungarian speakers that it's ok to not use it correctly.

Hakapeszi
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Hungarian 'S' pronunciation guide in shell :)

(cyrillic equivalent in brackets)

'SZ' - skip, say (С)
'ZS' - pleasure, leisure (Ж)
'CS' and 'TS' - check, cheese (Ч)
'S' - shake, fish, sure (Ш)

The 'TS' is old usage, you find it only in family names (see Gallovits) and old texts.

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:14 AM

how Clijsters is pronounced in Dutch, you can hear at the beginning of this video ;) but I think it's almost impossible for non-dutch speaking people to pronounce the IJ sound correctly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Zwhf8w6i0&feature=related

Tanja8
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
If you look at the Tennis Channel YouTube bag check videos, most of these players use the international pronunciation of their names. Vera pronounces her name the same as many of the tennis commentators, and not like Mariana Alves. So, I guess she doesn't care that much that her name is mispronounced by much of the world.

Well, there is no such thing as "international pronunciation". You probably think English or American one.;)

Monzanator
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM

In Polish it would be Szafarzowa but I think everyone calls her Szafarowa or Safarowa anyway (the latter being outrageously wrong since Slavic languages are very familiar with diphtongs :rolleyes: )

Spiritof42
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hungarian 'S' pronunciation guide in shell :)

(cyrillic equivalent in brackets)

'SZ' - skip, say (С)
'ZS' - pleasure, leisure (Ж)
'CS' and 'TS' - check, cheese (Ч)
'S' - shake, fish, sure (Ш)

The 'TS' is old usage, you find it only in family names (see Gallovits) and old texts.
Thanks for the info. :yeah:
I've been wondering about the Hungarian pronunciation of these letters or groups of letters, and since I'm already familiar with Russian, giving the cyrillic equivalents is really helpful. Now I know how to say Bacsinszky, Szavay and Gallovits correcty. :)

Break My Rapture
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I think Kader Nouni called Maria something like "Shoperova" during her match with Zheng at IW this year.

LH2HBH
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
sharaPOva should be shaRAPova

edificio
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Well, there is no such thing as "international pronunciation". You probably think English or American one.;)

I know. I was just trying to figure out a way to describe it. However, I've heard Hungarian, Spanish, Italian, Australian, English, Russian, Japanese, and American pronunciation of names, so...there is a regularity to the pronunciation of certain names.

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
All the Spanish players (except Conchi and very few others). Here we don't use the second surname (mother's name) except for documentation or identification. A. Sánchez (Vicario), M. J. Martínez (Sánchez), Cristina Torrens (Valero) and so on are not well typed. There's no need for a 4 words name when here in the sports news they never say those second surnames (well ASVS is an exception; it seems that she payed a big amount for a pija name).

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Oops, sorry, forgot the emoticons:

:tape: :weirdo: :cheer: :banana: :rolleyes: :o :devil:

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:22 AM
About Russian players: the news in Catalonia are mostly 100% of the time respectful towards pronounciation of Russian names (they always say SaRÁpova for example). Instead, Spanish journalists are most of the time retards :weirdo: who think that to speak properly makes them sissies... :weirdo:

JustPetko
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Dally Randriantefy, Jadwiga Jędrzejowska...

Beat
Jul 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM

:spit:

Andiyan
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Zarah RAZAFIMAHATRATRA
Seheno RAZAFINDRAMASO

Malagasy names are not hard to pronounce, they're just long which makes it likely to forget a part. :p

mb011
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Monika Seleš. Nowdays she is Monica Seles.

Cp6uja
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Some names is really hard to spoke correctly even for professional linguists... look for example at names of any of 17 currently active WTA players from Thailand (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/RankingsNSingles/0,,12781~0~182,00.html).

But in general, main problem here is stupidity and arrogance of so big percentage of sports journalists around world :shrug:. It's theirs job to be informed about how should sound some name of some international player, instead to make same mistakes year after year, confusing everyone with that. Also, there is "smartass syndrome" where some journalists thinks they are actually smarter than anybody, so they make mistakes because ignore all advices. For example I know one Serbian sports journalists which wrongly called even one Serbian Tennis player!? Instead Bojana Jovanovski, he always says Bojana Jovanovska. Bojana really have Macedonian origins and there like in Russia, Poland, CZE&SVK or Bulgaria womans surnames have that "A" at end, but Bojana is born, live and represent Serbia, so her surname should be spoken by Serbian language rules, not Macedonian, so that's why Jovanovski is correct, not Jovanovska (Wozniacki, Lisicki and Golovin is correct, not Wozniacka, Lisicka and Golovina, despite Polish/Russian origins). That same guy also heard somewhere that Li Na is actually more correct than Na Li, but in his version that sounds almost always like one word (Russian name LINA) :weirdo:. That means if someone is enough stupid, arrogant, supercilious... even such short and simple name like Na Li have chances to be "problematic" :shrug:

ptitnavet
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Malagasy names are not hard to pronounce, they're just long which makes it likely to forget a part. :p

Yeah that what I wanted to say :) I feel sorry for the umpires :p

To pronounce perfectly Clijsters for me it's impossible :p

Monzanator
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM
(Wozniacki, Lisicki and Golovin is correct, not Wozniacka, Lisicka and Golovina, despite Polish/Russian origins).

Polish commentators always call these girls by Polish version (Karolina Wozniacka, Sabina Lisicka) and Caroline herself has prompted everyone here to call her like that. It would be ridiculous for Polish people to call her Wozniacki with the "ck" as "k" on top of that. However all the non-Slavic commentators (apart from Poland, Czechs also call her the proper way but that's natural) still refuse to call her Wozniatzki and go on with Wozniaki. It was a similar case with Polish F1 driver Robert Kubica which was called Kubika at the beginning and only after a couple of years they started calling him Kubitza like it should have been. I wonder if I live a day when Wozniacki and Lisicki would be pronounced the right way. After all, they don't represent English speaking countries and as with Kubica, it's possible to get it right one day :rolleyes:

FedererBulgaria
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM
TSvetana....Cvetana Pironkova ;)

twight6
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Polish commentators always call these girls by Polish version (Karolina Wozniacka, Sabina Lisicka) and Caroline herself has prompted everyone here to call her like that. It would be ridiculous for Polish people to call her Wozniacki with the "ck" as "k" on top of that. However all the non-Slavic commentators (apart from Poland, Czechs also call her the proper way but that's natural) still refuse to call her Wozniatzki and go on with Wozniaki. It was a similar case with Polish F1 driver Robert Kubica which was called Kubika at the beginning and only after a couple of years they started calling him Kubitza like it should have been. I wonder if I live a day when Wozniacki and Lisicki would be pronounced the right way. After all, they don't represent English speaking countries and as with Kubica, it's possible to get it right one day :rolleyes:

So how exactly would Wozniacki be pronounced? And Lisicki

KournikovaFan91
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Yes but Lisicki and Woz don't live in Poland so why should their names be pronounced in the Polish way.

Like I don't care that Keohe, Donohoe, Cahill, Murtagh and several other Irish surnames are pronounced differently by Americans and Brits because despite having Irish names those people live in those countries.

For example the Ca in Cahill should be pronounced like the Ca in Cat not the Ca in Cave but apart from the Irish I don't think others pronounce it this way.

When in Rome :shrug:

Monzanator
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
So how exactly would Wozniacki be pronounced? And Lisicki

Wozhniatzki and Lishitzki (quite frankly "si" is effectively a diphtong common for Slavic langauges and I don't think it's possible for English people to pronounce it correctly, the closest word matching it is "easy", so Lieasytzki would be just about right :) ).

Yes but Lisicki and Woz don't live in Poland so why should their names be pronounced in the Polish way.

Like I don't care that Keohe, Donohoe, Cahill, Murtagh and several other Irish surnames are pronounced differently by Americans and Brits because despite having Irish names those people live in those countries.

For example the Ca in Cahill should be pronounced like the Ca in Cat not the Ca in Cave but apart from the Irish I don't think others pronounce it this way.

When in Rome :shrug:

Well, with all the respect the names are Polish, and it's not impossible for English people to pronounce "ck" as "tz" instead of "k" :shrug:

I'm aware of the difference between English and Irish pronounciation but that's internal case of the most popular language in the world. Polish is not as popular and it's pronounciation is more straight-forward.

bingdian
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I'm a Chinese. In China,we call people by surname first and then their name(We have one name only. First name and second name do not exist in Chinese culture). For us Chinese,our three famous tennis players are LiNa,ZhengJie,and PengShuai.We never call them Nali,JieZheng and ShuaiPeng.

Albireo
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Some names is really hard to spoke correctly even for professional linguists... look for example at names of any of 17 currently active WTA players from Thailand (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/RankingsNSingles/0,,12781~0~182,00.html).

As a professional linguist, I resemble that remark.

égalité
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
The commentator in the Chakvetadze/Pervak match is pronouncing it "Chakvetadez." :spit: :weirdo:

Joana
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I still remember "Jackweedatzee" by Eurosport commentators from her early days. :sobbing:

markdelaney
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Henrietta Nagyova was a good example

My favourite was the commentator who pronounced Bettina Bunge in a similar way to the verb "lunge"

Kipling
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Henrietta Nagyova was a good example

My favourite was the commentator who pronounced Bettina Bunge in a similar way to the verb "lunge"

:lol:

"Bettina the Bungee jumper"....

Martian Jeza
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Wozhniatzki and Lishitzki (quite frankly "si" is effectively a diphtong common for Slavic langauges and I don't think it's possible for English people to pronounce it correctly, the closest word matching it is "easy", so Lieasytzki would be just about right :) ).

Well, with all the respect the names are Polish, and it's not impossible for English people to pronounce "ck" as "tz" instead of "k" :shrug:

I'm aware of the difference between English and Irish pronounciation but that's internal case of the most popular language in the world. Polish is not as popular and it's pronounciation is more straight-forward.

Very interesting, thx ! :yeah: