PDA

View Full Version : Budapest QF: Alex DulGOATru def. Anastasija Sevastova 6-7(1) 6-2 7-6(4)

Six Feet Under
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Mentally tough :bowdown:

Fought back from 5-2 down :bowdown:

Did amazing to stay in the some of the points :inlove::worship:

In the semis :cheer:

Daruma.
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Alexandra! :banana: She was down 2-5 in the final set. Win the title now! :bounce:

Dodoboy.
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Quite a nice match. Sevastova played a WOEFUL tiebreak, deserved to lose.

Lachy
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Dulgheru always involved in these ridiculously long epic matches :rolleyes:

A-Bond
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I can't stand Dulgheru although she played more agressively in this match than in the others I saw from her. Especially when she was down 2-5. Nastija played great to go up 5-2 and then she fell apart. Dulgheru really seems to play well on clay. But there's just something about her I really don't like. Hopefully Agi or Polona will win the title.

TheBoiledEgg
Nastja :o that was very lame and she just beat herself in the end, very negative :o

ciprianned
Another comeback :D
Congratulations ! ! !

Andreas
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Nastja didn't give a fuck in the 3rd set TB :o She was like, oh, my shot went in, I better hit another one :weirdo: Should have won this match :(

Agata.
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Alexandra :) Into the SF

GL against Cornet or Szavay now

mckyle.
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:32 PM
What a GOAT.

Michael.
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Eww.

darkangel23
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I can't stand Dulgheru although she played more agressively in this match than in the others I saw from her. Especially when she was down 2-5. Nastija played great to go up 5-2 and then she fell apart. Dulgheru really seems to play well on clay. But there's just something about her I really don't like. Hopefully Agi or Polona will win the title.

It's that her game works well on clay (even on grass at times I guess) but on hardcourts she just can't be so far behind the baseline as she likes and is mostly overpowered because she doesn't get the time to be aggressive cause everything's going to fast

Corswandt
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Dulgheru always involved in these ridiculously long epic matches :rolleyes:

She tries to outlast the opponents she can't outplay.

TennisFan66
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM

If you dont like Dulgheru for not being aggressive, what is your view on Sevastova :rolleyes: ...

Anyho, amazing match imo. Dulgheru should never have lost the 1st set (tie break aside). Great play in 2nd and then a fab come back in 3rd.

Credit to both players!!

nevetssllim
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Alex! :yeah:

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Nastja didn't give a fuck in the 3rd set TB :o She was like, oh, my shot went in, I better hit another one :weirdo: Should have won this match :(
Definitely, it was ridiculous. On some of the points she was just walking to the ball and then staring at her shots for about 10 minutes before realising that she had another shot to hit.

I really thought Sevastova would push on after that tournament win a month or two ago, but she has just been so bad since then. Dulgheru is the type of player she should be swatting away without too many problems if she really wants to start making a name for herself.

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
If you dont like Dulgheru for not being aggressive, what is your view on Sevastova :rolleyes: ...

Anyho, amazing match imo. Dulgheru should never have lost the 1st set (tie break aside). Great play in 2nd and then a fab come back in 3rd.

Credit to both players!!
TennisFan66 starting his campaign for TWAT. :worship:

Elwin.
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Alex! :D

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM
:worship:

Sevast:hug:

Mynarco
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Sevastova :sad:

serenus_2k8
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Wow great fight from Dulgheru. Sevastova seemed mentally weak to me, but Alex was gritty and fought hard. well done :yeah:

Aaron.
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Alex :D

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Great match and a really fun one to watch. I knew Alex would have to improve substantially from the way she played against Chakvetadze and she raised her level just fractionally enough. Nastja played some lovely shots, her angles are amazing and she had an absolute field day with her dropshots. I love a good dropshot and in the battle between Alex and Nastja's dropshots, Nastja's were so much better it wasn't even a contest. But while Nastja tried to attack Alex using angles, Alex responded by hitting both her forehand and backhand very aggressively dtl and forcing Nastja on the defensive for large portions of the match. But credit to both players for an entertaining contest.

One of those matches when it wasn't clear who will be the winner until the very end although even when Alex was behind I did have a feeling she would find a way to win. You can say what you like about Alex but she is one tough girl to put away. ;)

She tries to outlast the opponents she can't outplay.

Did you watch the match? Dulgheru certainly didn't win this match because she was the fitter player that is for sure. Yes, a case could be made that she won the match because she was the mentally stronger player but if one looks at the stats of the match she was clearly the more deserving winner. With the exception of the early part of the 3rd set, at no other time during the match was she ever being outplayed, aside from those snazzy dropshots by Nastja.

The Kaz
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Well Done Alexandra :cheer:

Good luck in the SF you little GOAT :p

Nastja :hug:

Loungy
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Sad. :sad: I became fond of Sevastova in that Estoril final, when she had the mental fortitude to wrap up the match in the nick of time, just before things were about to get noisy/ugly.

And for some reason I really can't warm up to Dulgheru. Oh well. Better luck next time, Anastasija.

iPatty
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Dulgheru so lucky to win that match. :lol: Did nothing to win it.

Better luck next time Nastja.

Mynarco
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Dullgheru is a lesser version of Wozniacki. Boring game, long rallies and waiting opponents to make mistake (especially during the match between her and Anna)

LeonHart
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Definitely, it was ridiculous. On some of the points she was just walking to the ball and then staring at her shots for about 10 minutes before realising that she had another shot to hit.

I really thought Sevastova would push on after that tournament win a month or two ago, but she has just been so bad since then. Dulgheru is the type of player she should be swatting away without too many problems if she really wants to start making a name for herself.

Goes to show how much you know about tennis. LOL.

Dulgheru :rocker2:

Haters :nerner:

*Jean*
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Anastasia :sad:

Ferg
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I left after Sevastova won the 1st. Alex was so-so, as she has been all tournament so fully expected her to lose, but coming back and hearing about this is great. Hope she can take the title.

Ferg
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Great match and a really fun one to watch. I knew Alex would have to improve substantially from the way she played against Chakvetadze and she raised her level just fractionally enough. Nastja played some lovely shots, her angles are amazing and she had an absolute field day with her dropshots. I love a good dropshot and in the battle between Alex and Nastja's dropshots, Nastja's were so much better it wasn't even a contest. But while Nastja tried to attack Alex using angles, Alex responded by hitting both her forehand and backhand very aggressively dtl and forcing Nastja on the defensive for large portions of the match. But credit to both players for an entertaining contest.

One of those matches when it wasn't clear who will be the winner until the very end although even when Alex was behind I did have a feeling she would find a way to win. You can say what you like about Alex but she is one tough girl to put away. ;)

Did you watch the match? Dulgheru certainly didn't win this match because she was the fitter player that is for sure. Yes, a case could be made that she won the match because she was the mentally stronger player but if one looks at the stats of the match she was clearly the more deserving winner. With the exception of the early part of the 3rd set, at no other time during the match was she ever being outplayed, aside from those snazzy dropshots by Nastja.

You shouldnt even try, these are the same people who claimed Alex would disappear once her Warsaw points 'came off' and how she'd never win a match this year.

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Goes to show how much you know about tennis. LOL.

Dulgheru :rocker2:

Haters :nerner:
Totally, i'm definitely the poster who compared Dulgheru to Hingis. :wavey:

LeonHart
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Totally, i'm definitely the poster who compared Dulgheru to Hingis. :wavey:

You're an idiot - to me they are similar because they play a different game than ball bashing. If you can't see the similarity then spare yourself the embarrassment of posting.

Similarities - They place the ball rather than bash it. Backhand is the strength, forehand is the weakness. Backhand crosscourt rallies to finish points off with a backhand down the line. Drop shot returns. Forehand down the line approaching the net, finishing off with smashes or volley. These are vintage Hingis points. Don't tell me you think Venus or Golovin does this type of play :haha:

Differences - Hingis is a more confident player (can take the ball earlier, approach the net easier, finish points off easier, blah blah). Hingis drops more on her backhand side whereas Dulgheru drops more on her forehand.

Aaron.
Jul 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM
You're an idiot - to me they are similar because they play a different game than ball bashing. If you can't see the similarity then spare yourself the embarrassment of posting.

Similarities - They place the ball rather than bash it. Backhand is the strength, forehand is the weakness. Backhand crosscourt rallies to finish points off with a backhand down the line. Drop shot returns. Forehand down the line approaching the net, finishing off with smashes or volley. These are vintage Hingis points. Don't tell me you think Venus or Golovin does this type of play :haha:

Differences - Hingis is a more confident player (can take the ball earlier, approach the net easier, finish points off easier, blah blah). Hingis drops more on her backhand side whereas Dulgheru drops more on her forehand. :rolls: I hope Alex doesnt fail a drug test too :sobbing: Then they would be really similar :eek:

rucolo
Jul 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Great fight, Alexandra!:):worship:

Alex came back from 2-5 in 3rd set?!:speakles:

Interesting SF match vs Szavay.

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
This comeback shows her GOATness even more! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Win the f*cken thing baby! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Differences - Hingis is a more confident player (can take the ball earlier, approach the net easier, finish points off easier, blah blah). Hingis drops more on her backhand side whereas Dulgheru drops more on her forehand.
Firstly, i'm not an idiot.
Secondly, contrary to what most people say, there are so many players who "play a different game than ballbashing"
Thirdly, she will do those plays for maybe a handful of times per set. The main part of her game is waiting, waiting and throwing up all sorts of junk til she gets the perfect ball to attack on whereas variety defines Hingis.
And finally what the hell do Venus and Golovin have to do with this?

Setsuna.
Jul 9th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Dullgheru is a lesser version of Wozniacki. Boring game, long rallies and waiting opponents to make mistake (especially during the match between her and Anna)

agreed.
and i don't think she will be a top player like Caro.Caroline way better than her.

KamilZ
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Alex :)

LeonHart
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Firstly, i'm not an idiot.
Secondly, contrary to what most people say, there are so many players who "play a different game than ballbashing"
Thirdly, she will do those plays for maybe a handful of times per set. The main part of her game is waiting, waiting and throwing up all sorts of junk til she gets the perfect ball to attack on whereas variety defines Hingis.
And finally what the hell do Venus and Golovin have to do with this?

I'm wrong for calling you an idiot. But it's still not right for you to think your opinion is better than everyone else's on a forum.

And there are a very few people that play like Hingis. I happen to think Dulgheru is one of them.

LeonHart
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:11 AM
agreed.
and i don't think she will be a top player like Caro.Caroline way better than her.

Do you realize how many people were saying Caro would never be top 20, top 10, top 5, then top 2 on this forum? :o