PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Endorsements

spartanfan
Jul 7th, 2010, 11:30 PM
How much do the top players generally earn every year for their racquet deals? And did anyone else find it strange that at the biggest tournament of the year a certain high profile Russian didn't have a logo on her racquet? What's that all about?

Atrixo
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Just as a example, I looked up what Maria Sharapova's "lifetime" contract with Prince is estimated to be worth. According to sources, it's valued at about $25 million dollars over a 10 year period.

As to why her racquet was lacking the "P" logo, most pros use custom strings and don't bother (and aren't required) to repaint them

50Sense
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Just as a example, I looked up what Maria Sharapova's "lifetime" contract with Prince is estimated to be worth. According to sources, it's valued at about $25 million dollars over a 10 year period.

As to why her racquet was lacking the "P" logo, most pros use custom strings and don't bother (and aren't required) to repaint them

Aren't required to repaint them??

Atrixo
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Aren't required to repaint them??

If you buy a standard off-the-shelf racquet, the characteristic branding of the strings with the company logo
"P" = Prince, "W" = Wilson, etc...) is present.

Pros use custom strings of their choice, and those lack any branding. They don't bother to re-brand those custom strings.

I really don't thing Prince gives a crap about the branding. Everyone knows Maria uses their racquets anyway. That goes with most of the major stars.

VS Fan
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM
If you buy a standard off-the-shelf racquet, the characteristic branding of the strings with the company logo

Pros use custom strings of their choice, and those lack any branding. They don't bother to re-brand those custom strings.

I really don't thing Prince gives a crap about the branding. Everyone knows Maria uses their racquets anyway. That goes with most of the major stars.

I don't know the correct answer, but to me the above quote is rather hard to believe. I have NEVER seen Serena or Venus swinging a raquet in any tournament that did not have the "W", or Jennifer Capriata play with out the "P". And I know that raquets are routinely restrung at the major Tourneys.

50Sense
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:16 AM

Everyone knows she uses them because they recognize the P for years and years. :lol:

No racket company would pay players millions of dollars to play with their rackets and not require them to wear their logo. That notion seems absurd to me.

Shafanovic.
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:18 AM

They do have to have the logo on the strings even if it's not their string. They go with the logo of the racket usually. But in Maria's case, she is trying out rackets from other brands, and by law, they can't put the logo on it, so they blacked out the frames and didn't put a logo on the strings.

I believe she's using Head at the moment, and Prince is trying to copy that, because it's better for her shoulder.

Sean.
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Ana's 4 year deal with Yonex was rumoured to be huge, surprising given she hadn't won a slam or been #1 at that point. Bet they regret that contract now. :o

northern lad
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Ana's 4 year deal with Yonex was rumoured to be huge, surprising given she hadn't won a slam or been #1 at that point. Bet they regret that contract now. :o

there was actually a ridiculous bonus for if she did win a slam... and then she did... and then she fell off the ranking chart. poor yonex :hysteric:

Sean.
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:07 AM
there was actually a ridiculous bonus for if she did win a slam... and then she did... and then she fell off the ranking chart. poor yonex :hysteric:

Also she reached #1, I believe she got an extra bonus for that too. :lol:

I think I read somewhere to get the full bonus she had to be ranked #1 for 1/2 the time of the contract, i.e. 2 years. But I can't find anything to back that up so I could be talking absolute shite.

miffedmax
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:22 AM
The best racquet story I know is that Elena used to play Prince. Apparently after her big year in 2000 they made her a much enhanced offer (apparently the old one was along the lines of "Here, have some free rackets, nice bangs btw.") Anyway, somehow the Prince rep lost the contract (why nobody made a backup copy I don't know and Elena didn't say in the interview). And in the meanwhile Yonex made a better offer.

Loungy
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM
They do have to have the logo on the strings even if it's not their string. They go with the logo of the racket usually. But in Maria's case, she is trying out rackets from other brands, and by law, they can't put the logo on it, so they blacked out the frames and didn't put a logo on the strings.

I believe she's using Head at the moment, and Prince is trying to copy that, because it's better for her shoulder.
Ah, really interesting. I had no idea. Thank you for the information.

pav
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Bepa has a quota on her racquets , due to a certain habit:tape:

Serenus Christ
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I wonder if Serena got a bonus after USO 2009,
EVERYONE IN THE WORLD saw her racquet!