PDA

View Full Version : Is S.Williams bad for the tour by playing only the Slams????

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Actually, I don't think she is bad for the tour, but I really think it is a shame she doesn't play more often. She doesn't care about non-Slams tournaments (except Miami), I am glad not everybody is copying her, WTA would become so poor. The day when they will start doing a Serena by skipping most of "useless" tournaments, female tennis is going to die.

I mean, why does Serena skip these tournaments ? I know, she must find a balance between her offcourt life and tennis, but c'mon, she comes fresher than most of the field in Slams. Maybe that's not fair :confused:

I repeat it again : I have huge respect for Serena Williams, and she is the greatest of her generation and one of the GOAT. But let's face it : does not playing others tournaments favour her ? :confused:

She plays Sydney - get thrashed by Dementieva 6-3 6-2. It's obvious she doesn't care at all.
Then she wins AO :tape:

Then Rome :eek: (Ok I know, she was badly injured, she even missed her favourite non Slam : SEWTA Miami ) : she cares because she lost to JaJa in three tight sets : 4-6 6-3 7-6(5)

Then Madrid : she lost to Petrova :lol: At least, she fought past Douchevina because she won 6-7 7-6 7-6 :eek:

After, Roland-Garros : poor Serena, she had a MP, and still lost :awww: She fought so hard, it was heart-breaking to watch her losing to a robot with sunglasses : 6-2 6-7(2) 8-6

We can't say she skipped the whole clay season. :worship:

BUT she doesn't play any grass tournament : :help: and she wins Wimbledon in straights !
Then she barely plays any hardcourt tournaments, and she is fresher than most of the girls at the US Open. We all know she has an amazing fighting spirit, so it helps if she is physically fresher IMO.

It applies on doubles too, they only play the Slams and Dubai.

Why do they play not a lot of tournaments SERIOUSLY??? I don't mean these tournaments where they show up to have their appareance money or something....

Please, be objective just like me, I don't want some trollish posts such as "but, they can afford it, they are absolutely the best of their generation" .

Serena is right to do so, it works for her, she is fresher than everybody, but I don't think it's a good model for the tour and not so fair (but it's not breaking the rules so she is right). For instance, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin chose to be part-time players, it just doesn't seem to work so far for them :tape: They think they can win everything, but they are not Serena Williams. Such a shame.

kiwifan
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
If the tour can't get along without any one player...

...that's bad for the tour...

...players need to do what is best for them as individuals because the tour will be move on without a care when that player is gone; think about the thousands of tour players who can't play anymore...

...who cares about them? ;)

kiwifan
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Besides she's not a young kid anymore...

...let the 19 year olds do their job...

...the lack of STAR POWER amongst the rest of the tour, especially the 16-23 year olds, is what is "bad for the tour". :devil:

narutos
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned Serena, Venus, Henin, Clijsters and Sharapova can do whatever they want they are good for the tour even though they play few tournaments and without them I know the tour would be a huge mess.

AcesHigh
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:21 PM
You're really living up to your name lately...

shoryuken
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:21 PM
She also plays doubles :shrug: That's enough tennis for her.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
If the tour can't get along without any one player...

...that's bad for the tour...

...players need to do what is best for them as individuals because the tour will be move on without a care when that player is gone; think about the thousands of tour players who can't play anymore...

...who cares about them? ;)

.......for example Jennifer Capriati

HippityHop
Please, be objective just like me, I don't want some trollish posts such as "but, they can afford it, they are absolutely the best of their generation" .

:tape:

Polikarpov
Campaigning for TWAT?:lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:25 PM
:lol::lol:
Debby >>>>>>>>> :lol:

Aaron.
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:25 PM
You're really living up to your name lately... IKR :lol:

Campaigning for TWAT?:lol: It Seems so :hysteric: Unseeded and Looming :inlove:

:tape: :lol:

Serenita
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Should the young take stand and start playing and winning some tournies. I mean Serena is 29 , Venus 30, Kim 27? , Justin 27. It's time for the young to stand up. They can't keep relying on Serena for the lead, they need to make things happen.

Gdsimmons
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=413983 (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/413983/gtfo.html) GIFSoup (http://www.gifsoup.com/)

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned Serena, Venus, Henin, Clijsters and Sharapova can do whatever they want they are good for the tour even though they play few tournaments and without them I know the tour would be a huge mess.

Maybe it would be better for the tour if they played a bit better. If the younger players can't live up to their potential, maybe that's because they can't play the biggest players on the court that often. The youngsters always start to beat some big names in non-Slams tournaments, then in Slams....

Campaigning for TWAT?:lol:

Why ? I am stating a truth : Serena Williams doesn't play a lot of tournaments, and I don't think it's good for the game, because it prevents the others from playing her more often, so to learn how to play her.
It's astounding how Serena only completed a match against Sunshine, although Sunshine is playing loads of tournaments :eek:

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
She should play less tourneys IMO and for it concentrate and try to play well in all of them. But for that her scheduling is way too messed up anyway...

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
You know the other players want all the top 10 to lose at Tier I's and Super Tier I's.
There's a lot of points and money at those tournaments.

It doesnt hurt the WTA tour as long as Serena is in the draw.
Serena was in the Sydney final, and last summer the Rogers Cup SF.

Anyway, Wimbledon is over. Serena has won the USO once since 2002, so this major is more open than Wimbledon

Lulu.
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
No. But I do wish she'd try more in some tour events. :shrug:

kiwialicat
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
She is doing what is good for her, and good on her for doing it. It's not her responsibilty to look after the tour. What happens, when this current crop of older players retire?

As long as there is a reason she chooses to skip these events ie. it allows her to give her best for the slams, then I don't care.

narutos
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:48 PM
No. But I do wish she'd try more in some tour events. :shrug:

I think that's what she did in 2008 and then couldn't bring it all in Majors now she changed her approach and seems to do very well at Majors.

Diesel
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
:tape: They think they can win everything, but they are not Serena Williams. Such a shame.

That's the point that's got you all hot and bothered.

Serena is one person. It's more of an insult that posters at TF disrespect the Kims, the Justines, the Jelenas, Carolines, Vikas, and others by saying they aren't good enough on all levels that Serena, her serve, her tournament choice invalidates them as the rest of the tour. Serena wins and these saviors suddenly turn into pumpkins.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I am not saying she is wrong, but that her approach might be wrong for the tour, because everybody can't afford to only plays Slams like her, but they will try it ( Kim, Justine, Pova...) and fail now in Slams.
Also, the younger players can't play the champions more often, so how could they build their game and confidence? :shrug: Every champion had big wins outside of Slams at the beginning of their career.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
You know what's even more worse for the tour?

An experienced 7 time GS winner winning matches only by blatantly taking instructions from her coach on every point during every match ( and therefore giving the tour a bad name and creating an extremely unfair atmosphere for the rest of the players)

AcesHigh
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM

An experienced 7 time GS winner winning matches only by blatantly taking instructions from her coach on every point during every match ( and therefore giving the tour a bad name and creating an extremely unfair atmosphere for the rest of the players)

:lol: Nice try.

"Extremely unfair" :spit:

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM

An experienced 7 time GS winner winning matches by blatantly taking instructions from her coach on every point during ever match.

I am glad you are back :worship: I was worried, you were not even around for celebrating Serena's win. :sobbing:

Back to the Herpestards-Sarintards rivalry :

At least, she doesn't threaten any lineswoman in order to win some matchs, and she doesn't intimidate any player before the matchs (even the Evil Carlos Rodriguez said it so in 2007. He always tells the truth, I am going to trust him. :p ).

Lulu.
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I think that's what she did in 2008 and then couldn't bring it all in Majors now she changed her approach and seems to do very well at Majors.

She won three tour events, made the final of Wimbledon and won the US Open that year.

Gdsimmons
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM

SPEAK ON IT!

narutos
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I am not saying she is wrong, but that her approach might be wrong for the tour, because everybody can't afford to only plays Slams like her, but they will try it ( Kim, Justine, Pova...) and fail now in Slams.
Also, the younger players can't play the champions more often, so how could they build their game and confidence? :shrug: Every champion had big wins outside of Slams at the beginning of their career.

Maria's last results at Majors have nothing to do with that, Clijsters I think so and Henin is just nowhere near her real level.
But I agree about the last part it's really sad to not see battles out of Slams players seems to avoid each other they aren't even playing the same tournaments and when they are, they are mostly injured etc...

kiwialicat
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM

omg, are you really going to try to make this thread about Justine?

'giving the tour a bad name and creating an extremely unfair atmosphere for the rest of the players' :lol: Oh , I'm sure there are much worse things giving the tour a bad name. Shall, I mention them?

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Anyway, Wimbledon is over. Serena has won the USO once since 2002, so this major is more open than Wimbledon

LOL!

And before this year's Wimbledon she had only won it once since 2003.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I am glad you are back :worship: I was worried, you were not even around for celebrating Serena's win. :sobbing:

At least, she doesn't threaten any lineswoman in order to win some matchs, and she doesn't intimidate any player before the matchs (even the Evil Carlos Rodriguez said it so in 2007. He always tells the truth, I am going to trust him. :p ).

And Serena already paid for that incident. Sadly even when the commentatos point out time and time again about the oncourt coaching issue and it is still taking place without any punishment

now you tell me which is bad for the tour? A playerbpreservig her body for the bigger events or a player not playing by the official rules?

narutos
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:05 PM
She won three tour events, made the final of Wimbledon and won the US Open that year.

She was so not convincing at Wimbledon there was just noone on the other side of the net except Venus in the final then USO she finally made it but her movement was pretty horrible in the final she almost lost a set against JJ :rolleyes:

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Maybe it would be better for the tour if they played a bit better. If the younger players can't live up to their potential, maybe that's because they can't play the biggest players on the court that often. The youngsters always start to beat some big names in non-Slams tournaments, then in Slams....

Why ? I am stating a truth : Serena Williams doesn't play a lot of tournaments, and I don't think it's good for the game, because it prevents the others from playing her more often, so to learn how to play her.
It's astounding how Serena only completed a match against Sunshine, although Sunshine is playing loads of tournaments :eek:
So it's Serena's responsibility to play others so they can learn how to beat her. You can't be serious. :eek:

n1_and_uh_noone
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Not as long as GOAT discussions are so heavily weighted with Slam numbers. Cannot blame her, really. Evert/Graf/Navs clearly did not receive the memo.

Lulu.
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM
She was so not convincing at Wimbledon there was just noone on the other side of the net except Venus in the final then USO she finally made it but her movement was pretty horrible in the final she almost lost a set against JJ :rolleyes:

You said she tried playing well in tour events in 2008 and couldn't bring it at the slams. What I posted proved that to be untrue.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
So it's Serena's responsibility to play others so they can learn how to beat her. You can't be serious. :eek:

Where did I say that? I only said it was bad for tour, AND that she was right :weirdo:

@Reetard : Nothing about intimidating players in the lockerooms? :p

Gdsimmons
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
How does she intimidate people in the locker room??

spiritedenergy
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
trollby is at it again: trolling:o

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM

:cuckoo:

narutos
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You said she tried playing well in tour events in 2008 and couldn't bring it at the slams. What I posted proved that to be untrue.

I remember her saying so, I don't have the article but in 2008 she wasn't in a good shape even after her win she pull out from YEC.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Where did I say that? I only said it was bad for tour, AND that she was right :weirdo:

@Reetard : Nothing about intimidating players in the lockerooms? :p

Because there is no truth in the whole 'Serena bullied Justine in lockerroom ' myth . Justine and Serena were friendly in the lokeroom as proved by the the catsuit incident.

Question still remains (and I am just tying to put things in perspective here, nothing against Justine, she is a great player) 'which is bad for the tour? A playerbpreservig her body for the bigger events or a player not playing by the official rules?'

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
How does she intimidate people in the locker room??

I don't know, I can't remember what Carlos said precisely, but he said the sisters were bullying a bit the other players in the lockerooms, so they already had the mental advantage before the match.

kiwialicat
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Because there is no truth in the whole 'Serena bullied Justine in lockerroom ' myth . Justine and Serena were friendly in the lokeroom as proved by the the catsuit incident.

Question still remains (and I am just tying to put thugs in perspective here, nothing against Justine, she is a great player) 'which is bad for the tour? A playerbpreservig her body for the bigger events or a player not playing by the official rules?'

omg, why are you trying to bring Justine into this? The topic isn't about her. If you want to talk about how awful Justine is for looking over to Carlos all the time then there is an appropriate thread for it.

oh, please. Justine may not have been bullied by Serena in the locker room but no way are they in any way friendly.

Aaron.
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know, I can't remember what Carlos said precisely, but he said the sisters were bullying a bit the other players in the lockerooms, so they already had the mental advantage before the match. Keep believing that :worship: It may help lick your wounds

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

spiritedenergy
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't know, I can't remember what Carlos said precisely, but he said the sisters were bullying a bit the other players in the lockerooms, so they already had the mental advantage before the match.

what kind of bullying could they ever do? It's professional tennis, not high school... i doubt they even speak to others in the locker room... most players said about Serena and Venus that they keep for themselves, how can they go from that to bully? please quit it, your trolling attempt is pathetic:help:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM

He said to Justine......he did not mention any other players. He used it as his way of validating her cheating at the French Open.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Question still remains (and I am just tying to put thugs in perspective here, nothing against Justine, she is a great player) 'which is bad for the tour? A playerbpreservig her body for the bigger events or a player not playing by the official rules?'

Serena didn't listen to Justine's advice, she asked her so because she knew Justine knows nothing and is always wrong in fashion :kiss:

Well, the umpire didn't call Carlos out for coaching Justine, and I don't think that Justine is cheating because she never listens to her coach, and can't win Slams lately :lol:

WTAtennisfan15
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Serena is incredible athlete, great person and open minded too!
She is not bad for the tour at all!

young_gunner913
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Oh Debby, still bitter as fuck that Christine didnt win Wimbledon.

Diesel
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM

All reports from several players is that Serena sticks to herself. Unless you're Caroline/Victoria, etc. These players seem pretty ticked about not getting hellos and small chats from Serena so... Serena even asked Henin's advice, :spit: , in 2002 about the catsuit. So when did this bullying take place?

Carlos only made up the bullying stuff after he admitted Justine was a jealous and petty troll.

narutos
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I don't think that Justine is cheating because she never listens to her coach

Seriously?

Gdsimmons
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
So we're using Carlos as the beacon of truth, honestly and reliance?

aisha
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Nope, not bad for the tour at all. It's not her fault other players peak before and crash during these slams. Self preservation is its own reward. :drool:

Jealousy just eats you up inside. Are threads like this worth it? :nerner: :lol:

goldenlox
When you have a clear #1, who is being compared to all time greats, that's never bad for the tour.
You want this, or a 2 player rivalry.
Serena has now separated herself from the pack.

So if she gets beat this summer, that makes news, the same as when she wins.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Serena didn't listen to Justine's advice, she asked her so because she knew Justine knows nothing and is always wrong in fashion :kiss:

Well, the umpire didn't call Carlos out for coaching Justine, and I don't think that Justine is cheating because she never listens to her coach, and can't win Slams lately :lol:

So you agree that Carlos was lying when He Said that Serena Billies JUstine (as proved by the incident they )

Good job on evading my main question anyways

Seriously?

THis lol

You have been owned enough in this thread Debby, give up!

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
OMG :happy::happy::happy::lol::lol::lol::haha::haha: :haha:

Deck
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
cut "only the Slams" and I'm with you

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Oh Debby, still bitter as fuck that Christine didnt win Wimbledon.

She was injured, so no, I like to think she would have won Wimbledon if she didn't get injured. :hearts:

All reports from several players is that Serena sticks to herself. Unless you're Caroline/Victoria, etc. These players seem pretty ticked about not getting hellos and small chats from Serena so... Serena even asked Henin's advice, :spit: , in 2002 about the catsuit. So when did this bullying take place?

Carlos only made up the bullying stuff after he admitted Justine was a jealous and petty troll.

Are you Justine? Oh my apologies, Queen :hearts:

Seriously?

Yes, she nevers listens to her, she always looks at him, but she told him to shut up several times. She only needs Carlos to be here, not to give her some tips during matchs.

So we're using Carlos as the beacon of truth, honestly and reliance?

Yes, he is love. Without him, Justine would have not been such a big champion. Thanks Carlos !!!11

So you agree that Carlos was lying when He Said that Serena Billies JUstine (as proved by the incident they )

Good job on evading my main question anyways

You have been owned enough in this thread Debby, give up!

I don't know, maybe they were friends in 2002 because Serena was happy to win everything, then the Hand incident happened :angel: Easy to bully someone when you lost your Slam invincibility to her.

edificio
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Can't live with her, can't live without her.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
The problems that Justine, Kim, Venus and Maria are having..
they show how hard it is to do what Serena is doing.
Winning 5 of 6 is tremendous. To come back 7 years later and win 5 of 8, no one else this era is doing either.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Winning 5 of 6 is tremendous. To come back 7 years later and win 5 of 8, no one else this era is doing either.

7 years later ? :confused:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I don't know, maybe they were friends in 2002 because Serena was happy to win everything, then the Hand incident happened :angel: Easy to bully someone when you lost your Slam invincibility to her.

He said the bullying occurred before the hand incident, and that is why Justine did not tell the truth. She deserved it for the bully in the locker room.

spiritedenergy
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM

not only that... but how many tournaments do a player usually win in 1 year? I'd say a good player might win 3-4 maximum... Serena in 2009 won 2 slams and YEC, which makes 3 tournaments, it's pretty good for me. They happen to be the best tournaments of the year, which means she is smart at picking where to peak.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
He said the bullying occurred before the hand incident, and that is why Justine did not tell the truth. She deserved it for the bully in the locker room.

Really? :confused: I thought it was after the hand incident !

LUVMIRZA
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
cut "only the Slams" and I'm with you

:lol:

LUVMIRZA
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM
So many threads on Serena...its scary to come to GM these days:o

Tech1
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
http://austrianeconomists.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451eb0069e2011570ea5170970c-800wi

Mynarco
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
You can't really blame her. Just like Roger, champions need to save energy for slams.

Volcana
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I mean, why does Serena skip these tournaments ? I know, she must find a balance between her offcourt life and tennis, but c'mon, she comes fresher than most of the field in Slams. Maybe that's not fair She's currently carrying 15 tournaments, and she was injured part of the last 12 months. The WTA minimum is 16. From the WTA website.
"The ranking system is a 52-week, cumulative system in which the number of tournament results comprising a player’s Sony
Ericsson WTA Tour Ranking is capped at 16 Tournaments for singles and 11 Tournaments for doubles.
The results used to determine a player’s Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Ranking shall be those yielding the highest ranking points
during a rolling, 52-week period, and must include a player’s ranking points from the Grand Slams, Premier Mandatory
Tournaments and the Sony Ericsson Championships plus the best two (2) Premier5 Tournament results for Top 10 Players."

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Rankings_Stats/howitworks.pdf

Serena isn't playing less. The other players are playing more, some because they need the money, the better players to improve their ranking. Serena's ranking can't BE improved. The thing Serena doesn't do is schedule a bunch of events to make up for missed time due to injury. If she schedules 19 events, and misses three due to injury, it's just a 16 event season. She doesn't cram a lot of events into a short period of time and physically, I don't think she can anymore. Just too much wear and tear over the years.

Same with Clijsters. She's only played 13 events in 11 months. Henin has played six events in six months. Venus, who has had a relatively healthy 12 months, is carrying 17 tournament, one over the minimum. These are older players who go deep into tournaments. They aren't going to play every week.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
So debby which is bad for the tour? A player preserving her body for the bigger events or a player not playing by the official rules?

So many threads on Serena...its scary to come to GM these days:o

She just won her 13th slam, what did you expect? :weirdo:

LightWarrior
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
You can't really blame her. Just like Roger, champions need to save energy for slams.

Fed plays many more tournaments outside the slams than Serena on a regular basis.

miffedmax
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Yes and no. It is bad for the tour when players only play slams. But it's also bad when you have tournament whores who play every week and can't win a match at a slam to save their souls.

Yes, I am on again about the bifurcated tour that is emerging--and right now the one good thing about Serena is she is the only thing that's keeping slam titles from becoming as devalued as the #1 ranking is--and it may yet happen if she loses her form or once she retires.

The bottom line is the tour really needs to restructure itself in view of the increased travel, increased athletic demands of the game, and other physical and psychological demands it makes on its players.

These things are not Serena's--or JJ's, or Caro's, or Franny's, or Elena's, or Dinara's fault--but the fact is that whether conciously or not, these players have chosen to focus on the tour or the slams and that split is not good for tennis. However, little blame can actually be assigned to the players, who have been put into that position by the people with the checks.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Yes and no...

These things are not Serena's--or JJ's, or Caro's, or Franny's, or Elena's, or Dinara's fault--but the fact is that whether conciously or not, these players have chosen to focus on the tour or the slams and that split is not good for tennis. However, little blame can actually be assigned to the players, who have been put into that position by the people with the checks.Everyone is playing the tour, besides Serena.
Fran has 1 major, total. Kim has 1 in 5 years. Sveta has 1 in 6 years.
No one else has won a major in over 2 years. Why are they pointing for just the majors?
Everyone is playing the tour.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Really? :confused: I thought it was after the hand incident !

Would that make sense....to be spiteful against a player that has not done anything wrong to you? If Serena supposedly bullied Henin after why did she cheat at the French Open against Serena. Think about it for a moment.

Pureracket
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:31 PM
What the hell is Carlos doing in the womens lockerroom? :confused:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Yes and no. It is bad for the tour when players only play slams. But it's also bad when you have tournament whores who play every week and can't win a match at a slam to save their souls.

Yes, I am on again about the bifurcated tour that is emerging--and right now the one good thing about Serena is she is the only thing that's keeping slam titles from becoming as devalued as the #1 ranking is--and it may yet happen if she loses her form or once she retires.

The bottom line is the tour really needs to restructure itself in view of the increased travel, increased athletic demands of the game, and other physical and psychological demands it makes on its players.

These things are not Serena's--or JJ's, or Caro's, or Franny's, or Elena's, or Dinara's fault--but the fact is that whether conciously or not, these players have chosen to focus on the tour or the slams and that split is not good for tennis. However, little blame can actually be assigned to the players, who have been put into that position by the people with the checks.

Bifurcated or not, if players want to be considered great they better start winning on the big stages. The division in the tour is only going to cause further devaluation of the ranking system and not the majors.

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Fed plays many more tournaments outside the slams than Serena on a regular basis.
That's because the men have more mandatory tournaments than the women.

spartanfan
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
As someone else pointed out, Serena wll be 29 in September. Look at all the players of her generation that didn't stay on tour to the age of 29. Heck even Steffi Graf retired at 29. I don't think its unusual for more seasoned players to cut back on the number of tournaments they play each year (male and female). And if you know Serena's history, she's been plagued throughout her career with injuries that have prevented her from playing on tour for extended periods of time. Why should she not take it easy on her body? And why are people acting like Serena has never won at the tour level events? It's funny you never hear any of the tour players bitching and complaining about the WS limited schedules. At the end of the day each and every player has to do whats best for him or herself, not necessarily the tour. If the tour had it's way, the WS would be playing each and every week. And historically neither WS has ever played the "regular" amount of tournaments, they rarely play more than 15 tournaments a year. Back in 2002-03 when Serena was dominating the tour the first go around, she held down the #1 ranking with just 13 tournaments on the books. Why would she need to play more?

Serenaluv
Jul 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I do not think Serena is bad for the tour! It ain't her fault the competition is dreadful at the moment???

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I won't even bother with trollby and re(e)tard :yawn:

I do not think Serena is bad for the tour! It ain't her fault the competition is dreadful at the moment???

The "dreadful competition" doesn't explain her losses at the non-Slams, though.

not only that... but how many tournaments do a player usually win in 1 year? I'd say a good player might win 3-4 maximum... Serena in 2009 won 2 slams and YEC, which makes 3 tournaments, it's pretty good for me. They happen to be the best tournaments of the year, which means she is smart at picking where to peak.

LOL...no. For a #1 player, 3-4 tournament wins in 12 months is weak. Justine won 10 tournaments in 2007, Kim in one year won (I think) 9 tourneys and still didn't finish the year as #1. Seles, Graf and Hingis in their prime won 9-10 tourneys per year, too.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I won't even bother with trolly and re(e)tard :yawn:

You can't even bother to write my username properly. Trollby. :kiss:

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM
You can't even bother to write my username properly. Trollby. :kiss:

:lol: Sorry, I will edit it for you. Trolly sounds nice, too, though :p

DA FOREHAND
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:32 AM

LOL...no. For a #1 player, 3-4 tournament wins in 12 months is weak. Justine won 10 tournaments in 2007, Kim in one year won (I think) 9 tourneys and still didn't fi

nish the year as #1. Seles, Graf and Hingis in their prime won 9-10 tourneys per year, too.

where was Henin for 3/4 of 2008?

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM
where was Henin for 3/4 of 2008?

What does this have to do with my post? :confused:

DA FOREHAND
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Henin ran herself into the ground. Serena's fans don't want that for her.

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Henin ran herself into the ground. Serena's fans don't want that for her.

I'm not sure if Henin lost her motivation because of her many wins in 2009 (if that is what you are trying to say...).

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I'm not sure if Henin lost her motivation because of her many wins in 2009 (if that is what you are trying to say...).

First it was in 2007 and second of all she said so herself I remember her saying after the Yec match she was thinking about that but of course she said all this stuff after Maria and Serena whooped her ass:tape:

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2010, 06:09 AM

LOL...no. For a #1 player, 3-4 tournament wins in 12 months is weak. Justine won 10 tournaments in 2007, Kim in one year won (I think) 9 tourneys and still didn't finish the year as #1. Seles, Graf and Hingis in their prime won 9-10 tourneys per year, too.

Yada yada....Serena has the same amount of titles this year as your Juju..but I'm sure Juju would trade her titles for Serena's.

Sometimes QUALITY is better than QUANTITY. Besides since Serena almost never plays below tier II, it's not surprising that she's gonna run in some losses. Still...F Sydney, SF Rome..it ain't like she's bombing out early WHEN she plays.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM

:spit: So Serena's bad for the tour because she's not playing more tournaments therefore not giving the other players more opportunities to learn how to beat her? So in essence, it's not Serena's lack of play that you think is bad for the tour, you are personally holding her responsible for teaching the rest of the tour how to play. And apparently she's responsible for boosting their confidence by letting them beat her more? I'll bet it rains coconuts in your mind.

StephenUK
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM
The slams win, but the tour events lose out, I think.

In the olden days of the 70s or 80s, players like Navratilova, Evert, Graf would win most of the slams, 10+ tour events a year and rarely lose to anyone at all, even the rest of the top 10. They were as bothered about being world no 1 as winning slams and that meant not only winning slams, but also winning tour events and not losing as the rankings were based on average performance until the 90s so any loss would bring your ranking down.

Since her injury lay off in 03, Serena has only prioritised slams and not the world no 1 ranking or winning tour events. It has now got to the stage that it looks like she is deliberately not winning them in case she peaks at the wrong time before a slam or picks up an injury. It has clearly worked for both her and her sister in the slams and as regards longevity in the game as they are still in slam finals over a decade after first appearing in them.

The fact is, though, that it can't be good for the tour. If you are selling that event to the public, with Serena on the posters and publicity, you want her in the final. What I don't understand is her fans' attitude. If you paid good money to see Serena and happened to live in San Diego and not Melbourne, wouldn't you want to see her play her best tennis and not RubbishSerena? As I am not a fan, I am quite happy to see her lose matches but that can't be everyone's attitude.

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Well everyone would lose the f*ck out if the most famous, talented and succesful player was constantly exhausted from flying here there and everywhere to win a cupl of grand in Malaysia etc.

Let the up & comers develop their games, confidence and match winning mentalities at these events so they can bring more confidence on to the stages that matter most. Surely then they can make more of a match of things at the slams and then everyone wins :shrug: Yeah :yeah:

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hmmmmm....it ain't like she's tanking matches perce. Like in Rome...just couldn't finish it up. But rather there than at a WImby or Oz open.

Bijoux0021
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
:spit: So Serena's bad for the tour because she's not playing more tournaments therefore not giving the other players more opportunities to learn how to beat her? So in essence, it's not Serena's lack of play that you think is bad for the tour, you are personally holding her responsible for teaching the rest of the tour how to play. And apparently she's responsible for boosting their confidence by letting them beat her more? I'll bet it rains coconuts in your mind.
These haters never failed to find new shit to blame Serena. :cuckoo:

Bijoux0021
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hmmmmm....it ain't like she's tanking matches perce. Like in Rome...just couldn't finish it up. But rather there than at a WImby or Oz open.
The fact that she was able to finish at Wimby or OZ is really what her detractors are most upset about. :banghead:

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
First it was in 2007 and second of all she said so herself I remember her saying after the Yec match she was thinking about that but of course she said all this stuff after Maria and Serena whooped her ass:tape:

What was Justine thinking after she whooped your faves ass at the YEC?

Yada yada....Serena has the same amount of titles this year as your Juju..

Yes, Justine's comeback isn't proceeding that terribly, right?

Halepsova
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Let her play 5 tournaments per year if she can win them all! :bounce:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
yes

the more slams she wins annoys the hell out of me

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
yes

I knew it ! You are a Veetard or a Justinetard ! :hearts:

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
yes

:lol:

Best not watch the US Open then ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I knew it ! You are a Veetard or a Justinetard ! :hearts:

let's not get carried away :p

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
What was Justine thinking after she whooped your faves ass ?

Way too easy she was thinking about Carlos as usual.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Way too easy she was thinking about Carlos as usual.

You are not funny on this one. :sad:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
7 years later ? :confused:

As of Wimbledon 2003, Serena had won 5 of the last 6 majors (and reached the final in 6 of the last 7).

7 years later, in 2010, Serena has won 5 of the last 8 majors (finals now is 6 of the last 9).

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Yes, Justine's comeback isn't proceeding that terribly, right?

:lol: Stuttgart and 's Hertogenbosch vs major nr 12 and nr 13.

Juju's doing pretty good, Stuttgart and den Bosch sure's gonna help you get to the HoF. ;)

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You are not funny on this one. :sad:

Says the Henin fan :lol:

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
The fact that she was able to finish at Wimby or OZ is really what her detractors are most upset about. :banghead:

Aaaahaaaa...THAT's the crux!

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Juju's doing pretty good, Stuttgart and den Bosch sure's gonna help you get to the HoF. ;)

You are a bit harsh, Justine just came back noone expect her to win big titles rite now give her a little time and you already know she will work really hard to be at the top again.

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Henin just isnt a factor at the top of the game anymore. Her fans got over excited about her come back and its a bitter pill to swallow, sorry.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
As of Wimbledon 2003, Serena had won 5 of the last 6 majors (and reached the final in 6 of the last 7).

7 years later, in 2010, Serena has won 5 of the last 8 majors (finals now is 6 of the last 9).

Ok thanks :yeah:

Even as a hardcore Herpestard, I can't believe Matt01 dared to say this bullshit :spit: He's really trying too hard, and after he says he won't bother with Reetard and me :lol:

Please don't turn this thread into another Serena-Justine fanbases fight although I would love it :inlove:

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Ok thanks :yeah:

Even as a hardcore Herpestard, I can't believe Matt01 dared to say this bullshit :spit: He's really trying too hard, and after he says he won't bother with Reetard and me :lol:

Please don't turn this thread into another Serena-Justine fanbases fight although I would love it :inlove:

Justine-Venus threads are fights, Serena-Justine threads are just a mauling for Henins fans. Serena is in a separate league to Henin/Vee/Hingis now :shrug:

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Henin just isnt a factor at the top of the game anymore. Her fans got over excited about her come back and its a bitter pill to swallow, sorry.

It's funny because you probably think there is still hope for Venus and not for Henin of course.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Justine-Venus threads are fights, Serena-Justine threads are just a mauling for Henins fans. Serena is in a separate league to Henin/Vee/Hingis now :shrug:

Errrr no Serena >>>>>>>>> Henin >>> Venus >>>>>> Hingis

in that order

and I was talking about fanbases, like it or not, Serenatards fight the most with Justinetards. Justine is still above Venus.

http://i47.tinypic.com/346ls0g.gif

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Errrr no Serena >>>>>>>>> Henin >>> Venus >>>>>> Hingis

in that order

and I was talking about fanbases, like it or not, Serenatards fight the most with Justinetards. Justine is still above Venus.

http://i47.tinypic.com/346ls0g.gif

:rolls: Yeah, of course. :rolls:

Find a hobby, please :sobbing:

TennisFan66
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
You're really living up to your name lately...

That was my first thought too ...

WTA rules are the same for everyone, incl Serena Williams.

When a player outside top 10 plays tournaments, she's a tournamet whore.
When a player inside top 10 and reaching her twilight years are scaling down, she is bad for the tour because she doesnt play it.

What do you people want? .. Thats apart from just another excuse to moan, sulk and whine.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
That was my first thought too ...

WTA rules are the same for everyone, incl Serena Williams.

When a player outside top 10 plays tournaments, she's a tournamet whore.
When a player inside top 10 and reaching her twilight years are scaling down, she is bad for the tour because she doesnt play it.

What do you people want? .. Thats apart from just another excuse to moan, sulk and whine.

I never blamed Serena on doing that, she is right, but I think it's bad for the tour. Nothing wrong. Sunshine is getting injured by playing too many tournaments, she is not right to do so, so nothing to do with tournaments whores here.

:rolls: Yeah, of course. :rolls:

Find a hobby, please :sobbing:

Says the one who has 10k posts and has joined in October 2007 while I've joined early 2007 and didn't even make it to the half of your posts.

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
It's funny because you probably think there is still hope for Venus and not for Henin of course.

Venus has won 2 Grand slam titles this year, Henin has won 0. Venus year has done much more for her legacy than Henins, sorry. I wouldnt say no to 5 titles and 2 finals

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Venus has won 2 Grand slam titles this year, Henin has won 0. Venus year has done much more for her legacy than Henins, sorry.

In doubles? Pleaaaaaaaase. *rena3 Who cares about doubles when we are talking about SINGLES CAREER ?!

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I never blamed Serena on doing that, she is right, but I think it's bad for the tour. Nothing wrong. Sunshine is getting injured by playing too many tournaments, she is not right to do so, so nothing to do with tournaments whores here.

Says the one who has 10k posts and has joined in October 2007 while I've joined early 2007 and didn't even make it to the half of your posts.

You just spend your time trolling. You're lucky you made it to as many as you have, its only really a matter of time til you get banned anyway :wavey:

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM
In doubles? Pleaaaaaaaase. *rena3 Who cares about doubles when we are talking about SINGLES CAREER ?!

Who mentioned singles careers?

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Venus has won 2 Grand slam titles this year, Henin has won 0. Venus year has done much more for her legacy than Henins, sorry. I wouldnt say no to 5 titles and 2 finals

Doubles career that's the only thing you can come up with because since 2008 Venus hasn't reached a GS final in singles I know Henin did just this year.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Who mentioned singles careers?

Me.

When I am talking about Henin >>> Venus >>>>> Hingis, it's obvious I am talking about singles career. It would be unfair for Henin to count her doubles accomplishments because she didn't want to play doubles after 2001/2002 to focus on Slams. She was not fortunate enough to have a sister who is GOAT. She could have played in dubs with her. But her sister is not a GOAT, she only comes for her matchs to support her.

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Me.

When I am talking about Henin >>> Venus >>>>> Hingis, it's obvious I am talking about doubles career. It would be unfair for Henin to count her doubles accomplishments because she didn't want to play doubles after 2001/2002 to focus on Slams. She was not fortunate enough to have a sister who is GOAT. She could have played in dubs with her. But her sister is not a GOAT, she only comes for her matchs to support her.

What :weirdo: Make ur mind up.

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I made a mistake, it happens. :weirdo: typing mistake.

mykarma
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
You are a bit harsh, Justine just came back noone expect her to win big titles rite now give her a little time and you already know she will work really hard to be at the top again.
That's not true, didn't you know Justine was coming back to save the WTA.

serenus_2k8
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I made a mistake, it happens. :weirdo: typing mistake.

Your mum made a very grave mistake indeed :sobbing: You cant even troll properly because you're too dumb to not tie yourself in knots :rolls: Well tried though :hug:

debby
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Your mum made a very grave mistake indeed :sobbing: You cant even troll properly because you're too dumb to not tie yourself in knots :rolls: Well tried though :hug:

Do you even dare to call me a troll? OMFG !!!! At least, I never do personal attacks. That's why I didn't get banned.:wavey:

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM

So it's all about getting into HoF now? :confused:
Well, Justine should be quite safe then...
And yes, number of tournament wins does help you there...

Baselinebasher
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM

And yet, most people would still rather see Justine matches rather than the all-serve ball basher you so worship :wavey:

BlameSerena
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Is S.Williams bad for the tour by playing only the Slams????
:weirdo:

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
And yet, most people would still rather see Justine matches rather than the all-serve ball basher you so worship :wavey:

Have you seen Justine played lately she has zero control on "her game" not really surprising though because she is trying things that she is not used to, leave ballbasher game for real basllbasher.

Gdsimmons
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
This thread :banghead::banghead:

Talula
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM
No. It shows the Tour up. That isn't Serena's fault, it means the other players need to work harder rather than fluffing and saying they don't care.

mykarma
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Now that's some funny shit.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :happy:

SerenaSlam
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
i dont think the lack of regular tournmanet play is a henderance. i believe serena's past 4 out of 5 slams she has won the singles and the doubles if im not mistaken. since the 2009 Aussie. That in its self physically is taxing compared to a lot of the top players that do not even on a regular make it to later stages of slams in singles and doubles. She is fresh for the slams but physically the woman she is trumps so many of the players automatically. And she is a Champion. At the end of the day she gets to the slams and is at a level that most of these other players really are not. 2 years ago I believe her career turned to "slam counts" and even though she states she isn't counting how many they are def her focus.

LightWarrior
Jul 9th, 2010, 11:40 PM
So does the OP imply that for the last 10 years Elena Dementieva has been good for the tour by playing/focusing on tournaments outside the slams but not playing/focusing on slams ? Just a thought...

spiritedenergy
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Do you even dare to call me a troll? OMFG !!!! At least, I never do personal attacks. That's why I didn't get banned.:wavey:

:awww:

(sorry i know it's cheesy but couldn't help to remark the fact that she wrote it yesterday:lol:)

Sp!ffy
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:48 AM
She doesn't only play the slams :weirdo: She plays I think the right amount of tournaments outside of the grand slams. Plus, since she plays so consistently and makes the GS stable I think she should have the privilege of not being forced to play in a million little tourneys.

Venus should play more non GS tourneys, just saying

Serenita
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:56 AM
:awww:

(sorry i know it's cheesy but couldn't help to remark the fact that she wrote it yesterday:lol:)

:lol: Ain't life a bitch :lol::lol::lol:

narutos
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
:lol: Ain't life a bitch :lol::lol::lol:

OMG Debby is banned is that permanent? I hope so.:mad:

Lachy
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I think Serena is good for the tour, she won the AO and Wimbledon. :haha:

serenus_2k8
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
:wavey: Debby :rolls:

frenchie
Jul 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Serena uses wta events as a practice in order to PEAK at the Slams

I'm fine with that!

cellophane
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Serena uses wta events as a practice in order to PEAK at the Slams

Would it be fine if everyone gave a half-assed effort in non-Slams? If she is there, she should make her best effort to win the match IMO. The tank vs. Dementieva in Toronto last year was so annoying. I'm used to it, but it makes everything so predictable. OK, Kim did this as well in 2007 when she was retiring and looking back now I have to say it was pretty bad from her too and I can see why everybody was trashing her then :o

mykarma
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
That's hysterical, especially the :wavey:.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

sweetpeas
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Again!

BluSthil
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
If Serena wants any chance to catch Graff (22), Everet (18), and Navratalova (18), she will have to play mostly the Grand Slam tournaments. She would not be able to physically play the Premier Mandatory & Premier 5 tournaments and be healthly for the GS's.

In all fairness, Graff (107) Everet (154) & Navratalova (167) played far more singles matches than Serena (37).

As far as tennis accomplishments, Serena has a ways to go to be consisdered in the GOAT discussion.

There is no question, however, that she has the most powerful serve to date.

Olórin
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
There is no question, however, that she has the most powerful serve to date.

Yes there is. She doesn't have the record for the most powerful serve of all time. Perhaps do some research next time.

BluSthil
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Excuse me Olorin !!! I meant most powerful PLAYER ! I'll proofread myself the next time...

For your entertainment, Venus has the most powerful serve (129 mph) to date !!!

Serenita
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
That's hysterical, especially the :wavey:.

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Poor thing she probably didnt expect it :lol:

Nefertiti
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:47 PM
No, she is the best player right now!!!

mykarma
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Poor thing she probably didnt expect it :lol:
She set herself up making that statement.

Aaron.
Aug 11th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Welcome back debby :hearts:

debby
Aug 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
:lol: Thanks for bumping my OLD thread.
She won't play till the US Open. :angel: But she is injured ...

StephenUK
Aug 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
It can't be great for the tour that the biggest player only bothers with the grand slams and doesn't show up for the other events. This was not the case in the days of Navratilova/Evert - they wanted to win every event, have the No 1 world ranking, this mattered as much as slam wins.

But times change. Serena, with her past injuries, has clearly decided that it is better for her to concentrate on the slams and not bother trying to emulate Navratilova/Evert with huge win streaks and winning 10+ WTA events per year on top of her slams. And who can blame her? The strategy has kept her at the top of the game whilst many of her contemporaries have not survived. Also, the roadmap means that all the top players play the big events making the tour events Serena plays extra hard to win - this was not the case even with the slams in Navratilova/Evert's day and certainly not the tour events they played.

Maybe the roadmap needs to be redesigned a little more to let top players have a bit more choice in playing the big tour events as it doesn't seem to have succeeded as regards having better quality events and forcing players to play in events they don't want to seems counterproductive, especially after the US Open.

Jajaloo
Aug 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe the roadmap needs to be redesigned a little more to let top players have a bit more choice in playing the big tour events as it doesn't seem to have succeeded as regards having better quality events and forcing players to play in events they don't want to seems counterproductive, especially after the US Open.

You're just generalising. There's no proof to suggest that players do not want to play Premier Mandatory tournaments. There's only 1 Premier Mandatory, 1 Premier 5, 1 Premier tournament and the YEC after the USO. Beijing is the only one players are committed to play. And you'd assume they would want to play Tokyo because it's a Premier 5, and the YEC for the prestige, points and money.

They don't only just play slams. Of the Premier 5's and Premier Mandatories we've had so far, Venus has played 4/5 and Serena has played 2/5. Of the 4 Venus played, she got to the final of 3 and won 1.

It's really a non-issue, but if we redesigned the tour everytime the Williams' don't turn up to a tournament, Copenhagen would be a slam by now.

Matt01
Aug 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
^No.
The Top 10 players have to play 4 of the 5 Premier 5 tourneys, if they play less than that, then get a zero pointer for the ranking.
And if thay play all 5 Premier 5 tourneys, they will get bonus $$$. So they basically they have to play 8 out 9 Premier 5/Premier Mandatory, but practically all of them more or less aim to play 9/9. The top players more or less are forced to play the tourneys the WTA get their $$$ from. They cannot play where they want to play.

SymphonyX
Aug 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hmm...

Take away the Williamses, Clijsters, Sharapova and Henin. Then what do you have? Azarenka? Pavlyuchenkova? Wozniacki? Radwandska?

If I asked any of my non-tennis following friends if they can name ten female tennis players, they'd immediately mention Sharapova, Serena, Venus, Kournikova, Graf, Hingis, Seles, Evert, Navratilova, Sabatini. The younger ones don't know anyone beyond Sharapova, Serena, Venus and Kournikova.

As long as Serena's playing, I don't mind. Besides, she'll getting old. Everyone seems to forget that she's fast approaching the big 3 and 0 just because she's winning slams here and there. I think it's just natural for the older players to be playing fewer tournaments. Then again, it's gonna kinda sad they'll end up clobbering (rather, robbing them of) younger and less experienced players at more prestigious tournaments and grand slams.

P3
Aug 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Lets look at it from a different view.
Serena and Venus by most tennis standards should be retired by now. Their bodies have been doing this for over 25 years, (normal retirement age). If either of them tried to play more than they are playing right now, I dont think their bodies would hold up. The sporadic play is the only way we will continue to be able to see them play at a high standard.
I really hate that I have not gotten a chance to see them play yet, because now I will only get the chance at a slam or miami. The end is near, so I must move with haste.

justineheninfan
Aug 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Blame the rest of the tour for not stepping it up and making her feel she has to do anymore. I dont think you can hold it against Serena for doing what works for her.

Jajaloo
Aug 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
^No.
The Top 10 players have to play 4 of the 5 Premier 5 tourneys, if they play less than that, then get a zero pointer for the ranking.
And if thay play all 5 Premier 5 tourneys, they will get bonus $$$. So they basically they have to play 8 out 9 Premier 5/Premier Mandatory, but practically all of them more or less aim to play 9/9. The top players more or less are forced to play the tourneys the WTA get their $$$ from. They cannot play where they want to play.

I didnt say they could play where they want to play. But the touranments they should want to play are the Premier Mandatories and Premier 5's, no?

Players only have to be completely committed to the Premier Mandatory tournaments.

The idea that players don't want to play Premier Mandatories, or want to play the Premier 5's isn't based on anything.

No ned to change the tour roadmap.

Stamp Paid
Aug 11th, 2010, 02:10 PM
:lol: Thanks for bumping my OLD thread.
She won't play till the US Open. :angel: But she is injured ...http://i35.tinypic.com/35cq4ix.gif
Welcome back boo

Serenita
Aug 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hmm...

Take away the Williamses, Clijsters, Sharapova and Henin. Then what do you have? Azarenka? Pavlyuchenkova? Wozniacki? Radwandska?

:shrug:

:speakles:

:sobbing:

:hysteric:

Matt01
Aug 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I didnt say they could play where they want to play. But the touranments they should want to play are the Premier Mandatories and Premier 5's, no?

You cannot tell the player which tourneys they "shold want" to play.

The idea that players don't want to play Premier Mandatories, or want to play the Premier 5's isn't based on anything.

It is based on their poor performances and inconsistancies at those tournaments.

serenafan08
Aug 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
No, not bad for the tour at all. It's not Serena's fault that no one else has really stepped up and tried to take No. 1 from her. Last year she played and lost in a whole bunch of tournaments. This year she hasn't been able to play as much because she's injured. No matter what she does someone will find fault with it. She's doing her, and that's all that matters really.

WTAtennisfan15
Aug 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Deborah has ignored me today! :sad:

LightWarrior
Aug 12th, 2010, 09:03 PM
When I see what a mess the USO Series have been so far and how the top players have been faring, and above all the huge lead that Serena WILL still over #2 in the WTA rankings in spite of playing no tournament between Wimny and the USO, I'm thinking, why would Serena bother to even play non slam tournaments ?