PDA

View Full Version : How many players on tour have a degree?

siddharthrajpal
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
i know serena/venus has one ... and once i heard jelena jankovic say that she doesn't want to be a player who just knows how to hit a forehand and backhand ...
so she would like to concentrate on studies too.. so which players have a decent education???

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Zvonareva, who has a degree in physical education, is now studying international economic relations in Russia (http://www.reuters.com/places/russia) with classes and exams looming upon her return.

Q. Are you still a student?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yes, I am.
Q. What are you studying?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I'm studying international economic relations at the diplomatic academy back home in Russia.
Q. Do you do it online?
VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I have to take classes over there and I have to take my exams when I'm coming back there.
Q. Why did you choose that subject to study?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't know. My first degree is in physical education. You know, I need to keep myself busy. I always love studying. It was always very important for me to keep my head busy with something else.
And traveling around the world, meeting different people, I just thought that international economic relations is something interesting, something, you know, close. I have a lot of experience from around the world. Maybe this way, you know, I can use it a little bit.
Q. What will you get? Is it a full degree? What is it called?
VERA ZVONAREVA: It's going to be like, I don't know, master's degree. I don't know how you call it. Yeah, diplomatic academy, it's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Russia. It focuses a lot on international affairs, as well.
So I was doing a little bit of work with UNESCO back home. I think my experience at the academy, what I'm studying, helps with that.

spiceboy
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Jill Craybas & Lisa Raymond too

Lachy
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Isn't Petkovic really smart, she was studying prior to tennis?

metamorpha
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM
If I remember correctly, JJ took international economics class too in 2006 and she's a bright student. She should get the degree by then.

Serena and Venus have one, but what were they studying?

Singleniacki
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Dani is really smart i think too

International Economics is what im going to study at uni :inlove:

The Kaz
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Isn't Petkovic really smart, she was studying prior to tennis?

Yep Political Studies.

Sean.
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Serena and Venus have one, but what were they studying?

Fashion I think.

Ksenia.
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I think Ana used to attend some uni (still is?), same for JJ :scratch:

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Daniela qualified for the top university in Slovakia but denied to pursue her tennis career... And I'm not surprised at all Daniela is a total perfeccionist, the bad part of being a perfeccionist is the lack of happiness :sad:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah doesn't Ivanovic study economics or something.

I can see why players would study part time for a degree and play the tour at the same time but why any player would go down the US College route baffles me, has it produced a top player in the last decade????

Dav.
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Tatiana is ggetting/received her degree in her time away from tennis.

hdfb
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Li Na studies economics as well.

Ilikebigboobies
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Julie Coin is a math graduate

Really?

I thought she had an accounting degree. $$$$

MegaDethly
Er...what's with the 'Venus/Serena has a degree' thing going on in this thread, as if they are the same person with the same intellectual rigour?

Here are the facts kids: Venus has a degree, Serena does not.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jill Craybas & Lisa Raymond too
I don't think Lisa ever actually finished college--she dropped out after her second year. Craybas has a degree in TV and film production, but considering she got that fifteen years ago and the industry/technology have changed a ton since then, it's probably worthless at this point :lol:

Tamarine Tanasugarn has a law degree from the University of Bangkok, and Julie Ditty has a degree in early childhood education from Vanderbilt University.

Elisse
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Akgul Amanmuradova took time out at the start of her tennis career to study International Tourism at Tashkent State University of Economics (I think she got the highest grades out of all students on her course) :worship:

Sean.
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Psychology, I thought?

It's horrificly ironic if I'm right, given she's such a big head case!

PerfectForm
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Wasn't Anna Chak the one who did Psychology... kind of an irony now

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Daniela qualified for the top university in Slovakia but denied to pursue her tennis career... And I'm not surprised at all Daniela is a total perfeccionist, the bad part of being a perfeccionist is the lack of happiness :sad:
Denied by who?

You mean she declined?

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I know Vera Z. is very serious about her studies.

On the The Tennis Channel feature where tennis players show what in their bag, when she was going through her stuff from the bag, she brought out a book about Nelson Mandela. She was so proud of possessing that book.
She mentioned she wanted work in internatonal relation whe graduate from the University.

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM

I can see why players would study part time for a degree and play the tour at the same time but why any player would go down the US College route baffles me, has it produced a top player in the last decade????
John Isner comes to mind.

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM
John Isner comes to mind.
Yeah, He did all 4 years.
Blake went Harvard for 2 years and stop to turn pro.

I hope he comes back here to complete his degree.

Aryman3
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Radwanska Sisters both are studying tourism in Cracow

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Er...what's with the 'Venus/Serena has a degree' thing going on in this thread, as if they are the same person with the same intellectual rigour?

Here are the facts kids: Venus has a degree, Serena does not.
Yes, I have never heard of Serena having completed some college degree.

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Radwanska Sisters both are studying tourism in Cracow
What is in the curiculum of tourism?

Do you mean a full flege degree or a certificate?

Aryman3
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Yes. It finishes with MA degree

Mashabator
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Daniela is really smart she speaks 7 languages and is/was studying something wasnt she?

siddharthrajpal
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM
by serena/Venus I meant that I was not sure which one of them had a degree...

Mynarco
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
So How could they have lessons? :eek: The tour won't finish until November :o

Sean.
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Daniela is really smart she speaks 7 languages and is/was studying something wasnt she?

I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between intelligence and being a choker/head case.

A-Bond
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I read in an interview that Ana is studying accounting. And yeah Danka could have gone to the best Universities in Slovakia, I'm not sure if she's studying at the moment.

Mashabator
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Well actually dani speaks like 4 or 5 languages fluently i think and knows a little of the other 2.

DefyingGravity
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I'm so proud of all these players that are pursuing degrees as well.

Mightymirza
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Mirza was doing her bachelors in journalism I think.. IDk if she finished or not..

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Alexandra Stevenson also has a degree in psychology from the University of Colorado's online school.

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM

in useless things like accounting and tourism.

yeah i really see ivanovic getting a job with kpmg:rolleyes::rolleyes:

kiwialicat
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between intelligence and being a choker/head case.

Yeah there is. People who choke, typically choke because they think to much. The opposite of panicking, when they think to little and just go blank.

Rix643
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Wasn't Anna Chak the one who did Psychology... kind of an irony now

Sports psychology to be exact..

Also Elena Vesnina holds a bachelor degree in sports psychology; she just started for her masters.

Tennisstar86
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Serena does not have a degree.....

Are we talkin highschool?

nevetssllim
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I read in an interview that Ana is studying accounting. And yeah Danka could have gone to the best Universities in Slovakia, I'm not sure if she's studying at the moment.

I read Daniela is studying German but I wasn't sure if it was in terms of a degree or something she's doing in her free-time.

Tennisstar86
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, He did all 4 years.
Blake went Harvard for 2 years and stop to turn pro.

I hope he comes back here to complete his degree.

Just cause he did all four years doesnt mean he graduated......it means his eligibility ran out.

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sports psychology to be exact..

Also Elena Vesnina holds a bachelor degree in sports psychology; she just started for her masters.

I guess when you're losing first round every tournament you have time for that shit:sad::sad::kiss:

Sean.
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Are you kidding me? Accounting is a really useful degree to have.

Tennisstar86
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM

lol, seriously...... When you make lots of money always good to know how to hide and keep it from the government legally. :devil:

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM

I'm sure I remember you saying a fashion degree was a big achievement. You really think it's more worthwhile than an accounting degree? :tape:

Wiggly
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM

Well, if a player is aware that she's never going to be a real threat on the Tour but can have a nice career on the US Colleges scene, why not?

You can get almost free education with some bursaries in top universites of the Ivy League. Plus, you can be a doctor or something, achieve great things in tennis and either try for a few years or start working straight away.

It's worth it.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Serena + nails :angel:

Petkorazzi
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Ivanovic was doing Tourism like 2 years ago. :shrug:

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM

I'm sure I remember you saying a fashion degree was a big achievement. You really think it's more worthwhile than an accounting degree? :tape:

Accounting is an ok degree to have.

But do you honestly think Ivanovic is going to pursue a career in accounting? REALLY?

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Dani is really smart i think too

International Economics is what im going to study at uni :inlove:

Me too :hearts:

Justine has a degree I believe. When she was younger, her teachers told her she could study law and become a lawyer, but she chose tennis.

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Justine has a degree I believe. When she was younger, her teachers told her she could study law and become a lawyer, but she chose tennis.

YEAH I can really imagine Justine as a lawyer with her grade 7 education:help::help:

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:33 PM
YEAH I can really imagine Justine as a lawyer with her grade 7 education:help::help:

I am only saying what I have read in newspapers :lol:

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I am only saying what I have read in newspapers :lol:

don't believe everything you read :tape:

dybbuk
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Psychology, I thought?

It's horrificly ironic if I'm right, given she's such a big head case!

Last I had heard Ana studies economics at a university in Belgrade. Her father is an economist I believe.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM
don't believe everything you read :tape:

Yes, but everybody in this thread says : " I've heard that..." "I think..." "I believe"...

so I am doing the same :lol: :lol:

Tennisstar86
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:59 PM

pretty much anyone can study law.....but she only got to 7th grade and her teachers back then knew she was destined for law? :lol: please....

Vaidisova Ruled
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM
:lol:

I remember this, and I actually tried to convince Sheep that "fashion degree" wasn't a true degree.

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM
pretty much anyone can study law.....but she only got to 7th grade and her teachers back then knew she was destined for law? :lol: please....

I don't know how education works in USA, what is 7th grade? Because in Belgium, it's pretty the same education than in France, so I can't tell if deejay abestos is right when he says Justine only got to 7th grade.

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
:lol:

I remember this, and I actually tried to convince Sheep that "fashion degree" wasn't a true degree.

we were talking about interior design if I recall not fashion design.

I really don't know how/why you would think a degree in fashion isn't a real degree. Do you think those rags you got donated to you just made themselves?

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM

I really don't know how/why you would think a degree in fashion isn't a real degree. Do you think those rags you got donated to you just made themselves?

So interior design and fashion are worthwhile and big achievements, but accounting isn't? :lol:

debby
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
So interior design and fashion are worthwhile and big achievements, but accounting isn't? :lol:

IKR :rolleyes: Especially that accounting is much more useful than interior design. It runs a part of economy...

LShang
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
:singer::singer::singer:Na Na Na Na Na:hearts::hearts::hearts:
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/0f5ee6c4cd29878e8226acb8.jpg
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/175f9a2b8a6bf1dde6cd40bf.jpg

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM

Please get back to me when you learn to read/grow a brain.

If you BOTHERED to read my previous posts you would have seen that I was talking about the uselessness of an accounting degree for our dearly beloved ANA IVANOVIC. Get it?

I (unlike you) do not go around snobbishly looking down on people and their choice of field/education.:rolleyes:

Dodoboy.
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Every degree is worth something, so feck RIGHT off! Vee is actually USING her degree and has a VERY succesful business, so SEEEYAAA.

Love the amount of economists on tour :inlove:

Loungy
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Same here. A lot to juggle.

Andrea should become a Poltical Studies prof after she retires. I bet she'd be a riot/amazing. :lol: Lots of stories to her students as well. ("And there was this time I choked a match away to a Slam champ in X tournament - oh wait, that happened many times!")

AnomyBC
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I believe I once read that Maria Kirilenko has a degree in sexiness. Can anyone confirm that?

Pasta-Na
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:23 AM
zheng jie and yan zi'll graduate this year i think. :p

Tennisstar86
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I don't know how education works in USA, what is 7th grade? Because in Belgium, it's pretty the same education than in France, so I can't tell if deejay abestos is right when he says Justine only got to 7th grade.

7th grade is before highschool.... Kindergaten then 1st-4th are elementary school. Depending on where you go 5th-8th can be middle school and 9th -12th are highschool. beyond is college. Basically 7th grade would be about age 12

Lin Lin
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Li Na graduated from Huazhong University of Science and Technology(HUST)in Wuhan, 2009.:)

http://i1.sinaimg.cn/ty/t/2009-07-15/U2096P6T12D4482153F45DT20090715082549.jpg

http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/t/2009-07-15/U2096P6T12D4482153F44DT20090715082549.jpg

Stamp Paid
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
:o

Lin Lin
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:51 AM
:singer::singer::singer:Na Na Na Na Na:hearts::hearts::hearts:
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/0f5ee6c4cd29878e8226acb8.jpg
http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/175f9a2b8a6bf1dde6cd40bf.jpg

your links don't work here,it says "these pics only available for registered users of baidu.com";)

Mary Cherry.
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I think Vika's doing a degree of some sort, I vaguely remember some tweets about it.

tennis-insomniac
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
You can say havin a degree in any kind is a big acheivement for individual and those who has gone through would feel prud when they hold the paper that says you're now graduated

in my aspect, playing tennis and succeeding your dream goal is actually big as you graduated because their so much sweat and works to sacrifice I salute to all the players on tour who is or has persuing/persued their dream

As for my sister Tamarine Tanasugarn she is now studying her master degree in business and management her bachelor degree is law study :)

Keadz
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:14 AM
I (unlike you) do not go around snobbishly looking down on people and their choice of field/education.:rolleyes:

:help: Thats what you have been doing this whole thread. :weirdo:

I agree with the previous statement about there being a correlation between intellegence and head cases.:lol:

Umberella
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I'm loving the amount of times i'm hearing "economics" and "accounting" come up in this thread - thats exactly what i'm studying! I may still have some hope with my tennis career... :p

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Don't know about WTA players but where did James Blake study again? Or some male player went to an Ivy League or something. :lol:

tucker1989
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Don't know about WTA players but where did James Blake study again? Or some male player went to an Ivy League or something. :lol:

Blake went to Harvard for 2 years. To whoever asked before, Isner get in fact get a degree from Georgia, in speech communications. Julie Coin graduated from Clemson University in South Carolina. Others that come to mind: Riza Zalameda (UCLA), Sarah Borwell (University of Houston), Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal), Christina Fusano (Cal). Both Laura Granville and Lilia Osterloh did a few years at Stanford, and I know Laura was taking classes at Northwestern while she was injured.

Caralenko
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:35 AM
LOL @ Deejay Sheep embarassing himself throughout this thread. How he wasn't included in TWAT, I'll never know :sobbing:

narutos
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Happy for Blake he is black, beautiful, smart and he can play tennis.

Caralenko
Jul 8th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Happy for Blake he is black, beautiful, smart and he can play tennis.

1/4 ain't bad. http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

Aaron.
Jul 8th, 2010, 06:34 AM
1/4 ain't bad. http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif :rolls:

Vaidisova Ruled
Jul 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Sorry for the mistake...
...but this
Well, if a player is aware that she's never going to be a real threat on the Tour but can have a nice career on the US Colleges scene, why not?

You can get almost free education with some bursaries in top universites of the Ivy League. Plus, you can be a doctor or something, achieve great things in tennis and either try for a few years or start working straight away.

It's worth it.
This too.
I think that this way of life is much better than playing all the time and retiring at 30 with no degree, and with "reaching the top 100" being the big highlight of your career. Girls like Maria, Williams sisters, when they will retire, they will have lots of money, and lots of free time, and let's face it, it will be not cool as it seems. If you go to some really good US University, you will end up with a really good job, and no money problem, and a really nice life until you're 60.

Acinolbaj
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Daniela is very intelligent and sophisticated but she is the only in her family who hasnīt a college degree. She didnīt even study at university.

Daniela is studying italian now and she speaks more 3 or 4 another languages fluently.

something
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Li Na studies economics as well.

No. It should be journalism

StephenUK
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Personally I am very sceptical about any degree taken by a tennis player as most of them will be online Mickey Mouse degrees.

Tennis has traditionally had a very bad name when it came to education - players effectively leaving school at 11, 'studying' through correspondence courses and tutors doing an hour or so a day fitted in between practice sessions and matches. There is a perhaps apocryphal story that Monica Seles did not know what Notre Dame was when she first played at Roland Garros! :help:

Presumably, the age eligibility requirements etc mean that players have more of a chance to attend normal school a lot of the time until 16, plus I get the impression that the WTA has tried to take the education of its teen players more seriously than the Tracy Austin era with its mentor schemes etc.

Personally I think the WTA and ITF should do more to make sure that players catch up to at least the level of a 18 year old after they retire by funding access courses so that they can then go on to college as mature students. I don't know what provision there is in most countries to do this, but here in the UK, we have access courses for those who missed/did badly at school when older so they can get the qualifications to go to university - a friend of mine got into Cambridge that way.

At the end of the day, a lot of people are attracted to sport partly because they are not academic so you would expect the average educational level to be not that brilliant, even leaving aside the travel and disruption. Some enterprising tennis journalist should really investigate this - I bet it would be an absolute horror show to see their grades! The average tennis autobiography, even with ghost writers to help, is very poorly written - Serena's reads like a teenager's, not like a woman of nearly 30.

Brett.
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Sesil Karatancheva is studying Adult Entertainment degree, at the moment!!

saint2
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Sorry, degrees means shit. If Serna, Venus, hell even Tati, can have a degree that means anyone can.

Daniela is by far the most clever and inteligent girl on tour, while her education is only secondary. Elena Dementieva is very clever and outspoken as well, and again, no uni degree. Caroline Wozniacki, tough I dislike her, is also very clever girl- and no degree as well.

Players with degrees aren't especially smart, plus some choices of studies are riddiculous. I mean, why Chaky is studying psychology, if shes clearly the one who need psychologist herself ?

Well, if someone needs to wasting time on studies...

The Witch-king
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:54 AM
:help: Thats what you have been doing this whole thread. :weirdo:

I agree with the previous statement about there being a correlation between intellegence and head cases.:lol:

Sorry for the mistake...

...but this

This too.
I think that this way of life is much better than playing all the time and retiring at 30 with no degree, and with "reaching the top 100" being the big highlight of your career. Girls like Maria, Williams sisters, when they will retire, they will have lots of money, and lots of free time, and let's face it, it will be not cool as it seems. If you go to some really good US University, you will end up with a really good job, and no money problem, and a really nice life until you're 60.

I just don't see why a rich tennis player like Ivanovic, Jankovic would want to pursue a degree in accounting or economics. Are they really going to try and work her way up the corporate ladder when they retire at 30+? I just don't see that happening. Really I don't see the point in these degrees.

Rix643
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry, degrees means shit. If Serna, Venus, hell even Tati, can have a degree that means anyone can.

Daniela is by far the most clever and inteligent girl on tour, while her education is only secondary. Elena Dementieva is very clever and outspoken as well, and again, no uni degree. Caroline Wozniacki, tough I dislike her, is also very clever girl- and no degree as well.

Players with degrees aren't especially smart, plus some choices of studies are riddiculous. I mean, why Chaky is studying psychology, if shes clearly the one who need psychologist herself ?

You know, doctors make the worst patients... ;)

Sean.
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I just don't see why a rich tennis player like Ivanovic, Jankovic would want to pursue a degree in accounting or economics. Are they really going to try and work her way up the corporate ladder when they retire at 30+? I just don't see that happening. Really I don't see the point in these degrees.

Just because you have a degree in something, doesn't mean you have to pursue a carreer in it. ;)

Rix643
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Just because you have a degree in something, doesn't mean you have to pursue a carreer in it. ;)

Hear, hear...

The Witch-king
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Yeah I know but why accounting of all things? Do some people like accounting as a hobby or something :confused:

Sean.
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah I know but why accounting of all things? Do some people like accounting as a hobby or something :confused:

It's useful, especially when you're earning millions.

Brena
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Personally I am very sceptical about any degree taken by a tennis player as most of them will be online Mickey Mouse degrees.

I don't know about the others, but this is true for JJ and Ana (and Novak). They all ''study'' at private universities in Belgrade, which means they pay big entry and tution fees and they're virtually guaranteed the degree (if they bother to show up at exams). Actually, I'm not sure whether they're paying or their unis use their names to attract other students. Whatever the case, they'll have the degrees one day (all in some sort of economics), but those are indeed MM degrees.
Also, I know a guy who's a teaching assitant at the uni where Ana and Novak study. He's a complete idiot and hates their guts for being young, rich and popular, so he goes around bragging how he flunked them a couple of times and that they'll ''never get a passing degree'' at his subject. :tape: So maybe, it's not all that easy for them afterall...

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM
It could also be an agent's idea, that it sounds good.
The agent can take the online courses in the players name.

Zvonareva actually goes to class and takes tests there.
She might be the only one on tour who does that.
But she enjoys it, while others might enjoy looking at pictures in magazines

The Witch-king
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Also, I know a guy who's a teaching assitant at the uni where Ana and Novak study. He's a complete idiot and hates their guts for being young, rich and popular, so he goes around bragging how he flunked them a couple of times and that they'll ''never get a passing degree'' at his subject. :tape: So maybe, it's not all that easy for them afterall...

That's so unprofessional. :rolleyes:

cosmoose
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I believe I once read that Maria Kirilenko has a degree in sexiness. Can anyone confirm that?
confirmed!
She also has a honorary degree in fan worship from the University of Seoul. :)

Dodoboy.
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Some posts in this thread :weirdo:

StephenUK
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
It could also be an agent's idea, that it sounds good.
The agent can take the online courses in the players name.

Zvonareva actually goes to class and takes tests there.
She might be the only one on tour who does that.
But she enjoys it, while others might enjoy looking at pictures in magazines

Yes, you can tell Zvonareva actually likes studying and is interested in academic subjects. Ditto Petkovic. I am not sure what Serena's education actually amounts to in the end, but I always give her full marks for trying to speak French at the French Open, which is way above the average Anglo-Saxon educational level!

I also agree with what posters say about Hantuchova. Just because someone has not done well at school in their teens and gone on to university, it does not mean they are dumb. Some players are articulate and show their intelligence in careers as commentators - Sam Smith and Lindsay Davenport spring to mind; others, like Jennifer Capriati, are at the opposite end of the scale.

Caralenko
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM

:weirdo: Some people enjoy learning and are curious about how the world works. It definitely does not mean that studying something means they will pursue a career, it could just be for personal achievement.

Thanks for the bad rep btw. I love getting posters all worked up over the most insignificant things :hearts:

saint2
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah I know but why accounting of all things?

I think some may take this ambitionally. Like "I have a degree, so I am better", or "all friends of mine have a degree, I want too"...It doesn't mean anything, really...

Richie's
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM

I have to agree.

Hantuchova speaks 5 languages (English, Slovak, German, Italian, Czech) and she can understand another 3 (Polish, Croatian and Spanish). She finished her Italian studies and now she's trying to learn Spanish. Daniela also has a classic piano education - "degree".

Pushniacki seems also a smart girl. A smart pesron does not need to be also smart on court. Playing tennis is ability. But there can be smart players on court who can't act that smartly out of court.

Degree does not mean nothing these days :)

tennisbum79
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Just cause he did all four years doesnt mean he graduated......it means his eligibility ran out.
Ok. I just assumed he graduated.

By "his eligibility ran out", do you is eligibilty ran out to play NCAA tennis, and because he had an athletic scholarship, he could no longer stay to complete his degree?

tennisbum79
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Li Na graduated from Huazhong University of Science and Technology(HUST)in Wuhan, 2009.:)

http://i1.sinaimg.cn/ty/t/2009-07-15/U2096P6T12D4482153F45DT20090715082549.jpg

http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/t/2009-07-15/U2096P6T12D4482153F44DT20090715082549.jpg

Li Na graduated from University?

rockstar
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
nothing against the fashion industry, but the idea of a fashion degree :spit:

i mean does anyone take it seriously?

The Witch-king
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
:weirdo: Some people enjoy learning and are curious about how the world works. It definitely does not mean that studying something means they will pursue a career, it could just be for personal achievement.

Thanks for the bad rep btw. I love getting posters all worked up over the most insignificant things :hearts:

yep you got me all worked up into a tizzy. :crazy:
carantancheva 1
asbestos 0 :sobbing:

The Witch-king
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM

do you walk around naked

Tennisstar86
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Ok. I just assumed he graduated.

By "his eligibility ran out", do you is eligibilty ran out to play NCAA tennis, and because he had an athletic scholarship, he could no longer stay to complete his degree?

I meant NCAA

Tennisstar86
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:17 PM

yes they do, the fashion world is crazy.... Granted anyone can "design" or stamp their names on something. Chances are they wont be taken seriously in the fashion world though

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
do you walk around naked

I think the sad likelihood is that some poor kids from the Third World working on a rate of 3 grains of rice per hour contributed more to the clothes I'm wearing right now than people with "fashion degrees".

No, but seriously, you don't NEED a fashion degree to rise to the top of that industry. At all. Same for interior design. Fair play to anyone who does get far in either industry - they are talented in their own way, and they're certainly better at it than I would be (I'm not visually creative in any way). But as degrees, they're simply not credible or remotely academic. Accounting is credible/academic.

tennisbum79
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I meant NCAA
I checked his bio, he did graduate from UGA.

Personal life

Isner was born in Greensboro, North Carolina. He has two older brothers, Nathan and Jordan. Isner started playing tennis seriously at age 11 under the tutelage of Oscar Blacutt and Rob Stephens at the Carolina Tennis Academy. He is a graduate of Walter Hines Page Senior High School, in Greensboro, and the University of Georgia, where he majored in Speech Communication. He currently resides in Tampa, Florida where he trains at the Saddlebrook Academy alongside other American tennis pros such as James Blake and Mardy Fish. Isner is currently single and has never been married.

Source http://m.browsebiography.com/bio-john_isner.html