PDA

View Full Version : Defending Points of TOP 10 from now till the US Open...

VeeJJ
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
THIS INCLUDES THE USO
1 Williams, Serena 1430
2 Jankovic, Jelena 1220
3 Wozniacki, Caroline 2130
4 Williams, Venus 770
5 Stosur, Samantha 880
6 Dementieva, Elena 1450
7 Clijsters, Kim 2310
8 Schiavone, Francesca 543
9 Zvonareva, Vera 570
10 Li, Na 561

DefyingGravity
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:17 AM
So this Jelena vs. Serena race is slightly exaggerated. Serena has a QF in Stanford and Semi in Toronto before all these points tumble off. Stosur could really make a move here if she got her shit together.

Caralenko
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Caroline is poised for a hell of a drop after this :unsure:

I so hope Vera can do something this year, seeings as she was just coming back from injury in 09.

VeeJJ
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:21 AM
So this Jelena vs. Serena race is slightly exaggerated. Serena has a QF in Stanford and Semi in Toronto before all these points tumble off. Stosur could really make a move here if she got her shit together.

No, I pretty much completely exaggerated it because I thought JJ really didn't have anything to defend and then I remembered she won Cincy and was faily consistent... Idk wtf i was thinking.... SORRY :)

kittyking
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Makes for a very interesting race to YEC - a good result and Na, Vera or Frannypants qualify for it :eek:

Rafito.
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Caroline :bigcry:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Caro doesn't belong in Top 5. Order will finally be restored. :cheer:

Vartan
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Ajde!

TennisFan66
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Caro doesn't belong in Top 5. Order will finally be restored. :cheer:

If I had a penny for every time you've posted this identical comment, I'd have bought my own Carabien island by now. Probably I'd bought two!

The same rules apply for Caroline as any other player on tour and lets talk after USO and see how much 'poised for a hell of a drop', she'll suffer.

Atm Stosur in slot No 5 has 4,890 points. Caro's YTD point are already enough for about top 20 btw. :)

kittyking
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:25 AM
If I had a penny for every time you've posted this identical comment, I'd have bought my own Carabien island by now. Probably I'd bought two!

The same rules apply for Caroline as any other player on tour and lets talk after USO and see how much 'poised for a hell of a drop', she'll suffer.

Atm Stosur in slot No 5 has 4,890 points. Caro's YTD point are already enough for about top 20 btw. :)

In my opinion Caro doesn't belong in the top ten. Her draws have been easy and her results have been average at best. If she is be a genuine top ten player then she develops.... well everything! Get a forehard, get a backhand, get a serve, learn to volley, and get FIERCE
http://haygeee.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/2972972011_28f45dc606.jpg

Caralenko
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:29 AM
In my opinion Caro doesn't belong in the top ten. Her draws have been easy and her results have been average at best. If she is be a genuine top ten player then she develops.... well everything! Get a forehard, get a backhand, get a serve, learn to volley, and get FIERCE

She has an above average serve.

TennisFan66
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM

You are naturally totally entitled to your opinion and I agree with you as far as there are things she needs to improve.

Anyho, looking forward to HC. With the more evenly spreading of points this years, it should be a cracker of a US/Asian HC season and YEC slots looks to be harder fought than ever before.

kittyking
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:43 AM
She has an above average serve.

... compared to juniors yes, compared to woman on the Wta tour I'd disagree with you there. Mind you, is it just me or are the woman in general serving worse this year than in previous years :shrug:

kittyking
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
You are naturally totally entitled to your opinion and I agree with you as far as there are things she needs to improve.

Anyho, looking forward to HC. With the more evenly spreading of points this years, it should be a cracker of a US/Asian HC season and YEC slots looks to be harder fought than ever before.

:) Agreed

Caralenko
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
... compared to juniors yes, compared to woman on the Wta tour I'd disagree with you there. Mind you, is it just me or are the woman in general serving worse this year than in previous years :shrug:

Are we watching the same tour?

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Caro needs to take a permanent hike from the top 10 so Masha can take her rightful place there.
This could happen within these next 1,5/2 months, hopefully. :D

perseus2006
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Certainly, everyone will want to know Pova's position.

She has 820 points to defend in the USO Series and another 160 points for the Open. 980 points in all.

Pova is scheduled for three Series tournaments offering 2270 Winners' points. If she performs well in the Series, she could get into the 9-12 seed group for the Open. This would mean a 4th round against a 5-8 seed.

Defending only 160 points at the Open gives her the opportunity to pick up a lot of points on the field of players currently ahead of her. Lets hope for her to make good things happen...

TennisFan66
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Caro needs to take a permanent hike from the top 10 so Masha can take her rightful place there.
This could happen within these next 1,5/2 months, hopefully. :D

No-one has a Gud given right for any ranking. Neither does any player need to 'take a permanent hike' from anywhere.

Its about points won on the tennis court. Its the same for all players. Learn to deal with it.

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM
No-one has a Gud given right for any ranking. Neither does any player need to 'take a permanent hike' from anywhere.

Its about points won on the tennis court. Its the same for all players. Learn to deal with it.
Actually, for the sake of women's tennis, I think she does. She does not bring excitement to the courts, or the crowd for that matter. In fact, there is barely even crowd when she plays. :shrug:
I agree that it is about the points won, but Caro does not really have the results for backing up her #3 ranking. The only noteable result that immediately comes to mind is that IW final.

Mikey.
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hopefully Jelena can put in a good run in the US Open Series, though she doesn't need to defend all her points in the lead up to the US Open because she only has a 2nd round to defend there.

On the other hand Kim definitely needs to put in some good results in the lead up to the US Open because I'm not sure if she'll be able to defend the majority of her US Open points.

Maria has lots of room for improvement so I'm not so worried about her.

TennisFan66
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Actually, for the sake of women's tennis, I think she does. She does not bring excitement to the courts, or the crowd for that matter. In fact, there is barely even crowd when she plays. :shrug:
I agree that it is about the points won, but Caro does not really have the results for backing up her #3 ranking. The only noteable result that immediately comes to mind is that IW final.

Whatever dude. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to not agreeing with you.

Richie's
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Na has a pretty good chance here.

Loungy
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Every. single. f*cking thread there's this Caro discussion, JFC.

It had slipped my mind how much Elena D has to defend. Hopefully she's fully recovered by USOS time.

Godspeed, Kim.

Julian.
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Maria's ranking will drop drastically if she can't defend her Tokyo Premier points after the US Open though :tape:

Just Do It
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Can't see Jelena surpassing Serena. She would have to do really well and Serena really bad at USO, which I doubt :lol:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM

True. In terms of Caro though she hasn't lived up to her seeding at the slams once while she's been a Top 5 player, so based on that her ranking belongs out of the Top 5.

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
SO Fran will be number one?

propi
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Gosh, I can't really wait for the day Caroline wins a GS and starts closing some mouths here :worship:
Don't know what some expect about her, but I don't think she will drop as much as going out of top 15. In any case we will see her more often in top 10 for sure :yeah:

MAGIKARPETTA
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Is there any website where to see best 16 of every player? thank u ;)

TennisFan66
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
True. In terms of Caro though she hasn't lived up to her seeding at the slams once while she's been a Top 5 player, so based on that her ranking belongs out of the Top 5.

Caro moved into top 5 BECAUSE of her RUP performance at a slam, so your argumentation is a tad flawed. Rankings are 52 weeks. Can we get over this and just accept it and move on. There really is no need to make the same comments over and over and over and over and over ..

We both know how rankings work. We both know you dont like Caro and I do. Time to move on?

Fantasy Hero
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Luckily none posted the points Flavia has to defend :sobbing:

LCS
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Lena has a whole lot to defend from the USO series but she has a good margin at the US Open. I think she'll be back strong after this brea, she needed to freshen up.

MAGIKARPETTA
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Luckily none posted the points Flavia has to defend :sobbing:

1520 :p

Mynarco
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Tennis is dead as long as Caro staying in top 5.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Tennis is dead as long as Caro staying in top 5.
http://blog.muchmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/update-high-five.gif

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Maria's ranking will drop drastically if she can't defend her Tokyo Premier points after the US Open though :tape:

:wavey:

Pova's fans shouldn't care so much about Caro right now. Caro has surpassed Pova and is in a different league now.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
1520 :p

:o

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Pova's fans shouldn't care so much about Caro right now. Caro has surpassed Pova and is in a different league now.
3 > 0

zhengjie_lina
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
na will have a chance!!!

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the lulz.

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:08 PM
3 > 0

Now. I said NOW. Pova hasn't won anything since her comeback (except for Tokyo that she won because of retirement of her opponent).

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Now. I said NOW. Pova hasn't won anything since her comeback (except for Tokyo that she won because of retirement of her opponent).
She was going to win that final anyway. At least Maria can actually defeat JJ. :happy:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM
So what? Caro's only won Ponte Vedra Beach thanks to a choke by Vesnina this year. :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
So what? Caro's only won Ponte Vedra Beach thanks to a choke by Vesnina this year. :shrug:
Exactly. And didn't Maria win 2 tournaments this year? 2 > 1. :bigwave:

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
And another thing: Maria def. Wozniacki 7-5 6-3 Hong Kong 2010. :p

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Caro's Slam results in the last 12 months are in different league to Pova. Are you contesting that, too?
Her results at the non-MM events are much better, too.

And another thing: Maria def. Wozniacki 7-5 6-3 Hong Kong 2010. :p

Oh, that changes everything ;)

Break My Rapture
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Whatever, hope you have fun thinking Caro is in a different league than Maria. :yawn:

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Whatever, hope you have fun thinking Caro is in a different league than Maria. :yawn:

The stats are backing me up on that.
That doesn't mean that Pova is not still the more accomplished player overall.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
The stats are backing me up on that.
That doesn't mean that Pova is not still the more accomplished player overall.
You mean by a landslide? :hehehe:

WozLolz
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Remember this? :rolleyes:

Hey. :wavey:

I'm a bit bored of being negative all the time. So I'm taking an oath not to say anything bad about Caro for the rest of the season. And I'll stay away from her results threads unless I'm politely congratulating one of my faves for beating her. If I break my promise feel free to spead around what a liar I am. But I'll post and make it official as a reminder that I won't bother you guys anymore. ;)

Can't really explain how it got so out of hand. In real life I'm actually a very shy, quiet person. Definitely not as outspoken as I seem on TF. :lol: Anyway, I hope eventually you'll come to forgive me for all my bullshit over the past year or so. :)

So, Caroline gets her cheek pinched by that cadFernando and you go back to your hating ways? :o

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
you should have known that would never be true :lol:

2Black
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Cool ... Well Venus can actually get back to #2. Even #1 if she plays the Open like she did in '07. Just get past the quarters of a major Venus. Stop this foolishness lol

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hey you stats guys, can you compare to this point, what percentage of ranking points, the top 20 have successfully defended. I think that will give us a better indication about who is playing better than last year, about the same as last year or worse than last year. So for example, if player x had 1000 points at this point last year and this year they have accumulated 900 points they successfully defended 90% of their ranking points and for all intents and purposes are playing about the same as last year.

TennisFan66
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hey. :wavey:

I'm a bit bored of being negative all the time. So I'm taking an oath not to say anything bad about Caro for the rest of the season. And I'll stay away from her results threads unless I'm politely congratulating one of my faves for beating her. If I break my promise feel free to spead around what a liar I am. But I'll post and make it official as a reminder that I won't bother you guys anymore. ;)

Can't really explain how it got so out of hand. In real life I'm actually a very shy, quiet person. Definitely not as outspoken as I seem on TF. :lol: Anyway, I hope eventually you'll come to forgive me for all my bullshit over the past year or so. :)

Priceless :lol:

Mynarco
Jul 7th, 2010, 11:29 PM
http://blog.muchmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/update-high-five.gif

:haha:

lizchris
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Venus could easily be back at number two before the USO if she makes an effort and wins at least three matches in a row at Cincinnati and Montreal. I don't see Jelena defending her Cincy points.

xan
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Caro's Slam results in the last 12 months are in different league to Pova.
And so were Aki's draws. :rolleyes:

AnomyBC
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:24 AM
http://haygeee.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/2972972011_28f45dc606.jpg

If Caro doesn't belong in the Top Ten, then no young player does. Out of all the players born after 1987, Caro has the best career win/loss record, the most titles and the best results at the slams. That at least makes her more deserving than Aga and Vika, if nothing else.

Craig.
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:32 AM

And you say you give credit to the players you dislike.

So full of shit...once again.

Craig.
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:33 AM
And so were Aki's draws. :rolleyes:

:hysteric:

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:45 AM
And you say you give credit to the players you dislike.

So full of shit...once again.

I'm giving her credit for her Mickey Mouse wins :shrug:

It's just that that is in a different league than where Caro is...

Donny
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:56 AM

Hey, Mickey mouse events are a great way to make a living. Just ask Henin.

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Na with not that much to defend :woohoo:

mdterp01
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Regarding Wozniacki...it worked for Hingis for many years. Consistent strokes with good movement that allowed her to rack up points and stay in the top 5 (hell at #1) without winning a major for years. To say she doesn't belong there is wrong considering that she's following the same point rules of the WTA like everybody else. I see what people are saying but I've let go of that old argument because ya can't hate on her for being consistent. She's not #3 by mistake. She gets deep enough in enough tournaments to get the points to do so.

However, we can debate her overall calibur and effectiveness. I wouldn't consider her a top tier player. She's still tier 2 to me no matter what her damn ranking is.

Caralenko
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Regarding Wozniacki...it worked for Hingis for many years. Consistent strokes with good movement that allowed her to rack up points and stay in the top 5 (hell at #1) without winning a major for years.

Comparing Wozniacki's game to Wingis? :lol: That's low, even for you.

TennisFan66
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Regarding Wozniacki...it worked for Hingis for many years. Consistent strokes with good movement that allowed her to rack up points and stay in the top 5 (hell at #1) without winning a major for years. To say she doesn't belong there is wrong considering that she's following the same point rules of the WTA like everybody else. I see what people are saying but I've let go of that old argument because ya can't hate on her for being consistent. She's not #3 by mistake. She gets deep enough in enough tournaments to get the points to do so.

However, we can debate her overall calibur and effectiveness. I wouldn't consider her a top tier player. She's still tier 2 to me no matter what her damn ranking is.

Thank you for posting a balanced comment.

Leaving specific players out, I personally for the life of me cannot understand why some members here bother with the perpetual moaning and whining over ranking slots and ranking points. It completely fails to have any impact whatsoever. The rules are the same for all women on the tour.

My impression is those members are rather immature (lets say they are kids) and they are whining becuase their fave(s) isn't ranked as high as someone they don't like. Hence, OBVIOUSLY something is wrong with the ranking system. Like I'm fairly confident they are moaning about the 'test', when they fail a grade .. :lol:

Baselinebasher
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Doesn't really matter anyway. Wozniacki isn't defending her USO final as she will probably get bageled again by someone outside of top 50 and crash out early. Then Ms. Consistent will be back where she belongs. Consistently outside of top 10.

Junzilla69
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I feel bad, cause if Flavia wasn't defending so many points she could make a run. 1020 (470 from LA, 350 from Cincy and 200 from New Haven.) + 500 for US Open.

kittyking
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I feel bad, cause if Flavia wasn't defending so many points she could make a run. 1020 (470 from LA, 350 from Cincy and 200 from New Haven.) + 500 for US Open.

And if my auntie had balls then she'd be my uncle :p

Jorn
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Caroline will likely drop down to 6-8 after USO... But i hope she find some form for USO! :)

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hey, Mickey mouse events are a great way to make a living. Just ask Henin.

Trolling around as usual, I see...

carretta
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Here are points defended by Top 20 so far this season. Points are those from the beginning of the season to Wimbledon (including Wimbledon). The percentages in red are for those players who have earned fewer points this year compared to last year (failed to defend all points earned).

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9726/cccxc.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/cccxc.jpg/)

zhengjie_lina
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
jj peer na sam franny wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Derek.
Jul 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
People really need to stop dwelling over Caroline. :o
It's just making you look pathetic. :shrug:

58.1% points defended says it all for Vika. :sad:

SerenaSlam
Jul 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
wow looking at # events played. id say what maybe 3 or 4 years ago the average played was def around 18 or so and in the top 20 you would always at least see a handful of players with over 20.

Donny
Jul 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Trolling around as usual, I see...

I didn't think you were capable of introspection. Congrats, I guess.

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I didn't think you were capable of introspection. Congrats, I guess.

If you can't see that my comment above was valid, well...

Donny
Jul 9th, 2010, 12:46 AM
If you can't see that my comment above was valid, well...

What? I respect Mickey Mouse events just like you do.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Remember this? :rolleyes:

So, Caroline gets her cheek pinched by that cadFernando and you go back to your hating ways? :o
You don't know anything about Fernando. :weirdo:

I did go along with it for a while until I realized how ridiculous the whole thing was. Why shouldn't I have an opinion about a player's tennis :speakles: on a tennis forum? :lol:

TennisFan66
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM

I did go along with it for a while until I realized how ridiculous the whole thing was. Why shouldn't I have an opinion about a player's tennis :speakles: on a tennis forum? :lol:

Look, who's back :lol:. I thought you'd signed off in shame. ( ShameOn as a new nick?) ..

Btw who is preventing you from having an opinion? .. if you just learned to express yourself in an adult manner, I doubt anyone would take offence.

Direwolf
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
SO many hate post here...

ei MistaCrinkles...
do you have the week to week tourney points to defend?

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Come on Kim! Lose all the points! Jaz do it! :yeah: :woohoo:

WozLolz
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Oh, I know. It's really hard to not be hateful toward a sweet girl who does nothing but play by the same rules as everyone else. :lol: I don't like a few players, but you won't see me berating them on a message board. To each his/her own. :hearts:

TennisFan66
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Oh, I know. It's really hard to not be hateful toward a sweet girl who does nothing but play by the same rules as everyone else. :lol: I don't like a few players, but you won't see me berating them on a message board. To each his/her own. :hearts:

I could not have said that better myself !!

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Oh go do a 360 leg cramp. :lol:

WozLolz
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I could not have said that better myself !!

Carofans are a different breed (except for one, who shall remain nameless:tape:).
Oh go do a 360 leg cramp. :lol:

:sad: It's amazing that the Lemon Danish still won after all that. :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Carofans are a different breed (except for one, who shall remain nameless:tape:).

:sad: It's amazing that the Lemon Danish still won after all that. :hearts:
Don't forget Vera was injured, withdrew from her next match, and was pushing probably even more than Caroline.

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Vera had no excuse that match. And a lot of the points in the last games were very well played points.
Vera was in the YEC final the year before

kittyking
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Can you guys please quit fighing or I'll start :fiery:

Your both right - Caro has the right to play on tour, she has some skills... but Monica Seles could bagel her buttocks :rocker2:

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Seles at her peak would destroy most of the Top 10 - your point?

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Can you guys please quit fighing or I'll start :fiery:

Your both right - Caro has the right to play on tour, she has some skills... but Monica Seles could bagel her buttocks :rocker2:
Peak Martinez Sanchez and Lisicki kick her buttocks as well. :hehehe:

Her Grand Slam losses prove Caro's a punching bag for any player with game.

kittyking
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Peak Martinez Sanchez and Lisicki kick her buttocks as well. :hehehe:

Her Grand Slam losses prove Caro's a punching bag for any player with game.

I was meaning a 50 year old Seles could beat Caro

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Caro would still beat Dementieva and Zvonareva and Petrova and Pennetta plenty of times.
So I guess Seles should come back

kittyking
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Caro would still beat Dementieva and Zvonareva and Petrova and Pennetta plenty of times.
So I guess Seles should come back

Good point

.... Come back Monica, please! The WTA Tour needs you!!!!