PDA

View Full Version : Martina Nav finally concedes to her true emotions.

madeaismad
Jul 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
So where does Williams rank among the best women's tennis players through the years?

"Top five," answered Navratilova, without a moment's hesitation. "It's not just about how many Slams you win or how many tournaments you win -- it's just your game overall. And she's definitely got all the goods. It would have been fun to play her, but at the same time, I'm glad that I didn't have to."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/tennis/07/03/wimbledon.womens.final.ap/index.html#ixzz0svSnnhXL

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:22 PM
she's coming for you next, nav. you and your big mouth

faboozadoo15
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Get a life. :wavey:

Olórin
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
"It's not just about how many Slams you win or how many tournaments you win -- it's just your game overall.

Yup.

Dodoboy.
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Obviously has sleepless nights about this.

Kworb
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
"It's not just about how many Slams you win or how many tournaments you win -- it's just your game overall."

Yep this is why Hingis and Seles are the two greatest of all time.

shega
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Best thing is, I've never seen Serena reply to all this Navratilova talk.

Nicolás89
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Or acknowledge her existence for that matter.

Dodoboy.
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM

:worship:

Lucemferre
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:56 PM

Serena compliments her a lot.Read more.

mykarma
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:02 PM
So where does Williams rank among the best women's tennis players through the years?

"Top five," answered Navratilova, without a moment's hesitation. "It's not just about how many Slams you win or how many tournaments you win -- it's just your game overall. And she's definitely got all the goods. It would have been fun to play her, but at the same time, I'm glad that I didn't have to."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/tennis/07/03/wimbledon.womens.final.ap/index.html#ixzz0svSnnhXL

Thanks, great article.

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:58 PM
"It's not just about how many Slams you win or how many tournaments you win -- it's just your game overall."

Yep this is why Hingis and Seles are the two greatest of all time.
I don't think she mentioned Hingis, did she?

She knows Hingis exists and did not mention her.

faboozadoo15
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM

:worship:

Do you guys ever watch or read? JUST after the Wimbledon final Serena responded to Martina calling her serve the greatest ever, saying it was a surprising and really nice compliment from such a great champion.

What world are you living in?

Lulu.
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
How nice of her, I'd have to agree. :)

Inger67
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Do you guys ever watch or read? JUST after the Wimbledon final Serena responded to Martina calling her serve the greatest ever, saying it was a surprising and really nice compliment from such a great champion.

I watched that speech and actually do not remember her acknowledging Martina whatsoever. I remember being surprised that she just kind of blew it off and didn't compliment her back.

Avid Merrion
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM

No she didn't. When Sue mentioned Martina's comments on court after the final, Serena talked about how well her serve had been clicking during Wimbledon because she wasn't happy with it at the French. Serena did not acknowledge Martina's statement. At all :lol:

AcesHigh
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Their own world :shrug: you should know that by now.

Anyway, Navratilova doesn't like the game the WS play and she has made that no secret. She's entitled to her opinion.

Singleniacki
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Top 5 is right :shrug:
What's the commotion :lol:

OsloErik
Jul 7th, 2010, 12:23 AM

So "concedes" isn't at ALL the word to use for this thread. If she doesn't have to think about it, it's not a concession.

I don't really know where this weird notion that Navratilova, Evert, and Carillo dislike the Williams sisters (esp. Serena) came from. They aren't sugar-coating fan-girls, but they like champions. Evert's picked Serena to win virtually every slam, including Roland Garros, excluding the doldrum years ('04-'06) since 2002. It's not like these women drool over ANYONE; so why is (often accurate) and even-handed criticism perceived as dislike? The only reason we hear about it towards Serena is because she wins more than anyone and we see her play important matches more than anyone.

That's my two cents.

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM
So "concedes" isn't at ALL the word to use for this thread. If she doesn't have to think about it, it's not a concession.

I don't really know where this weird notion that Navratilova, Evert, and Carillo dislike the Williams sisters (esp. Serena) came from. They aren't sugar-coating fan-girls, but they like champions. Evert's picked Serena to win virtually every slam, including Roland Garros, excluding the doldrum years ('04-'06) since 2002. It's not like these women drool over ANYONE; so why is (often accurate) and even-handed criticism perceived as dislike? The only reason we hear about it towards Serena is because she wins more than anyone and we see her play important matches more than anyone.

That's my two cents.
How is speaking the inevitable saying whether she like Serena or not?

shoryuken
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Serena did not acknowledge Martina's statement. At all :lol:

Yup I love how Serena and Venus just ignore her during Wimbledon Trophy presentations and then give a shout out to Billy when Billy is sitting next to Martina. :lol:

Lachy
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Top 5 sounds right to me :shrug:

Rome
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I watched that speech and actually do not remember her acknowledging Martina whatsoever. I remember being surprised that she just kind of blew it off and didn't compliment her back.

And why should serena thank someone who coach that girl she played in the semi?

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I'm watching some of the after match player interviews on tennis channel and I notice that Martina is never there when Venus or Serena are being interviwed. wonder if it's intentional.

kiwifan
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:53 AM

I think she's hearing the footsteps and wants to diffuse any "countdown to Nav&Evert" over the next few years by saying it doesn't matter...by the way I agree with her 100% :cool:

Serena showed all she needed to display to be Top 5 back in 2002-3..."Peak Serena" beats them all ;)...now accomplishments are a different though related thing...having the most, longest, best, etc...of anything is something great to strive for (I personally thought Serena had too much competition to ever catch Chris Evert, hopefully she'll prove me wrong) :angel:

SM
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Wait till she retires before we categorise her. She could surpass Steffi in slams, anything can happen in sports. Or she might go in a slump from now on. Who knows.

tennnisfannn
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
"Top five," answered Navratilova, without a moment's hesitation. "It's not just about how many Slams you win or how many tournaments you win -- it's just your game overall.

It suits martina to say it is not the numbers that count, otherise she would have to concede that margaret court is the GOAT!

Volcana
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM
"It would have been fun to play her, but at the same time, I'm glad that I didn't have to."That kinda sez it all.

I adore Nav, even though I disagree with her a lot. I know the youth-cultists on this board can't stand her, but I don't care. She's forthright, her game was fucking beautiful, and she came out when her choices were the gay-bashing 'West', and the freedom-repressing 'East'. When Nav defected, she had t admit she was gay BEFORE the USA let he into the country. She had no place to call home at all, for a brief while. I rather doubt some of the [virtual] scurrying rats of the internet sports boards could risk so much.

Shine on, Nav! And SAY on!

calou
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:01 AM
That kinda sez it all.

I adore Nav, even though I disagree with her a lot. I know the youth-cultists on this board can't stand her, but I don't care. She's forthright, her game was fucking beautiful, and she came out when her choices were the gay-bashing 'West', and the freedom-repressing 'East'. When Nav defected, she had t admit she was gay BEFORE the USA let he into the country. She had no place to call home at all, for a brief while. I rather doubt some of the [virtual] scurrying rats of the internet sports boards could risk so much.

Go Martina ,you 're so right and so bright and i know you don't care about the babies haters who write on this thread:worship:

Pat Bateman
Jul 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
That kinda sez it all.

This :worship:
Don't ever stop speaking out, Martina. Those that matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter :worship:

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Ok... Graf Seles Navratilova Evert and... Serena?? Sorry but I don't agree... Serena's non grand slam record is POOR... This is unbelievable even her game is horrible and Navratilova dares to call her an all time top 5... :rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Ok... Graf Seles Navratilova Evert and... Serena?? Sorry but I don't agree... Serena's non grand slam record is POOR... This is unbelievable even her game is horrible and Navratilova dares to call her an all time top 5... :rolleyes:
She's the highest earner in the HISTORY of Women's sports, she's finished 3rd place, or higher, on the WTA money list 8 times since 1999, and has a $2+ million dollar lead on the player currently in 2nd place on this year's list, she's got almost twice as many majors as the active players tied for 2nd place behind her, she's closing in on her 3rd straight year-ending #1 ranking, putting her over Justine Henin's tally of 117 weeks as the #1 player in the world, and supplanting her position in 6th place, all time, her 81% winning ratio in major finals is the best in the Open Era (men and women combined), she's won 3/4 majors at least 3 times, she owns, arguably, the best serve in history of the game, she's won Miami and the Australian Open 5 times, both Open Era records, she's one of only 5 women who have held all 4 majors at once, and held 3/4 a second time.

There's no WAY she's one of the top 5 players of all time.

You're right.

Dave.
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM
How is speaking the inevitable saying whether she like Serena or not?

Well on here many of her fans take it as an offense when someone doesn't pick Serena to win and that it's because that person is biased against her. :shrug:

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well on here many of her fans take it as an offense when someone doesn't pick Serena to win and that it's because that person is biased against her. :shrug:
What part of my post are you responding to because I don't get it?

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
She's the highest earner in the HISTORY of Women's sports, she's finished 3rd place, or higher, on the WTA money list 8 times since 1999, and has a $2+ million dollar lead on the player currently in 2nd place on this year's list, she's got almost twice as many majors as the active players tied for 2nd place behind her, she's closing in on her 3rd straight year-ending #1 ranking, putting her over Justine Henin's tally of 117 weeks as the #1 player in the world, and supplanting her position in 6th place, all time, her 81% winning ratio in major finals is the best in the Open Era (men and women combined), she's won 3/4 majors at least 3 times, she owns, arguably, the best serve in history of the game, she's won Miami and the Australian Open 5 times, both Open Era records, she's one of only 5 women who have held all 4 majors at once, and held 3/4 a second time.

You're right.

WTA Tiiiitles :rolleyes: you're missing that part. She's got incredible potential yes, but she's only won this all because of only dedicating herself to the Grand Slams and not giving a shit about other tournaments, what kind of a legend would do that?

jjlove
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM

You're right.

Bearing in mind what the prize money was back then and what it is right now this argument sounds quite ridiculous :o

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I agree with jjlove

MegaDethly
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:50 PM

You are void of anything that makes someone seem good. That's the impression I get from you, all from this post.

MegaDethly
Jul 7th, 2010, 03:52 PM

You're right.

Lol. That was so counter-productive. Put that next to five of the true greats and it doesn't cut it.

As much as you want to push this onto our faces, Serena does not cut it.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Lol. That was so counter-productive. Put that next to five of the true greats and it doesn't cut it.

As much as you want to push this onto our faces, Serena does not cut it.

transparent :lol:

tennnisfannn
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
WTA Tiiiitles :rolleyes: you're missing that part. She's got incredible potential yes, but she's only won this all because of only dedicating herself to the Grand Slams and not giving a shit about other tournaments, what kind of a legend would do that?
I guess you think Lindsay is one of the top 5 of all time seeing as she racked up 50+ titles:rolleyes: Get real, it is the big ones that count. What's the point of amassing titles like Kim did and fall desperately short on the big ones- no wonder Kim is back, she knows she is way better than she has achieved in terms of slams.

mykarma
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Some things are better left unsaid. :tape:

rockstar
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM

wow, valid point i never thought of before.

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:15 PM
wow, valid point i never thought of before.

Well here is a better one, Graf, Navratilova, Evert and Seles dominated tennis when it was real competitive and they were the best between the best, Serena only started dominating tennis:
1. 2002 After Hingis' retirement, Seles' inminent retirement, a bad year for Davenport. And then she stayed at the top for a year and a half.
2. One grand Slam in 2005 when there was only Davenport and Mauresmo to stop her. And Davenport always choked against Williams sisters and Mauresmo was almost no match.
3. One grand slam in 2007, there wasn't even Davenport.
4. Complete dominance in this times, where... let me think... there's no one who can stop her because WTA is at its worst level.

My point is that Serena never dominated when WTA was in good shape.

Donny
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Oh, you were serious when you typed this?

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I mean Serena omg what a legend!! defeating Zvonareva in the Wimbledon final!! Wow it's not the same winning 13 Grand Slams playing real grand slam contenders than winning those 13 with 6 or 7 of them playing joke of players in finals like Zvonareva or Safina.

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Oh, you were serious when you typed this?

Didn't she dominate tennis in the early 90's? :rolleyes:

Donny
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Didn't she dominate tennis in the early 90's? :rolleyes:

Didn't Serena dominate in the early-mid 2000's?

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Didn't Serena dominate in the early-mid 2000's?

Weren't Graf and Navratilova in the early 90's?? So... who was in the early-mid 2000's?? Because she never dominated when Hingis was playing what a coincidence :rolleyes:

Donny
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Wasn't Graf and Navratilova in the early 90's?? So... who was in the early-mid 2000's?? Because she never dominated when Hingis was playing what a coincidence :rolleyes:

It was no coincidence. Hingis ran away in the face of imminent defeat.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Weren't Graf and Navratilova in the early 90's?? So... who was in the early-mid 2000's?? Because she never dominated when Hingis was playing what a coincidence :rolleyes:

you are aware serena leads the hingis h-2-h winning the last few matches they played, especially the us open sf in 01 beatdown with 100% 1st serve :lol:

oh and i hate to break it to you..serena has played them all and beaten them all

hingis, graf (albeit in her latter years), vinas, jh, kim, lindsay

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
It was no coincidence. Hingis ran away in the face of imminent defeat.

YEAAH SURE SHE RAN AWAY, OH WAIT SHE COULDN'T RUN!

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:27 PM
you are aware serena leads the hingis h-2-h winning the last few matches they played, especially the us open sf in 01 beatdown with 100% 1st serve :lol:

Yep, but in 2001 Serena didn't dominate :)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yep, but in 2001 Serena didn't dominate :)

that wasn't because of hingis :lol:

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Sorry but Serena's real dominance came at this times, when there are only jokes of players around. The belgians aren't what they were, Venus gets now beaten by names like Li Na or Tsvetana Pironkova (in Wimbledon!!)... So she faces rivals in Grand Slam finals such as Zvonareva or Safina or Jankovic ¬¬

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
that wasn't because of hingis :lol:

No it was because of Hingis, Capriati, Venus, Seles, Davenport, and all the good players that were around then

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry but Serena's real dominance came at this times, when there are only jokes of players around. The belgians aren't what they were, Venus gets now beaten by names like Li Na or Tsvetana Pironkova (in Wimbledon!!)... So she faces rivals in Grand Slam finals such as Zvonareva or Safina or Jankovic ¬¬

:spit: lucky bitch and her 13 slams

humour me a bit...list her draws for all 13 slam wins and we'll see how lucky she is that she didn't have to play hingis etc in these wins :lol:

Pureracket
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
:spit: lucky bitch and her 13 slams

humour me a bit...list her draws for all 13 slam wins and we'll see how lucky she is that she didn't have to play hingis etc in these wins :lol:You're going to have to have some room to list those Slam draws. Serena plays in a draw with 128 players. Many of the Slams for MN and Chrissie were only with 96 players.

tennnisfannn
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
and before this wimbledon just gone, who had serena beaten for all her other wimby titles! By your logic, Kim's slams would have to be the weakest in history, she got to beat Peirce and Wozniacki for hers.

Matt01
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
You're going to have to have some room to list those Slam draws. Serena plays in a draw with 128 players. Many of the Slams for MN and Chrissie were only with 96 players.

In that case we should really cancel those "Slam wins" of Martina and Chrissie from the list. Is that what you are trying to say?

Mightymirza
Jul 7th, 2010, 11:10 PM

:wavey: Tell me if this is not a jibe to Navy for playing forever :lol:

"If I am, I want you to personally take me off and escort me off the court. There's no way I need to be out here at 38."
Serena Williams shunning the suggestion that she could possibly be playing here for another decade.