PDA

View Full Version : What the Tour has been missing for so long (teen Jennifer Capriati video insde)

spencercarlos
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Ok this is 1991 Usopen, but not the match that most people know and probably have seen on ESPN Classic, this is the previous match. Qf Usopen Capriati-Sabatini.

With a few observations.
1)A young player on her second year on tour and strong enough to challenge slams consistently, and with great loads of talent. Not the one hit tournament wonders that seems to fluke these days for ONLY one tournament and the dissapear.

2)A fearless player, but with also amazing ability to come in, hit overheads or even trade shots on the short court, volley an even finish a match with the most improbable shot. What can we say about the players of today, who canīt even run properly to the net, lets not even ask for a nice volley or a nice touch...

3)I have to mention the power. A lot has been said about the Williams sisters bringing power to the game, i believe that in the early 90ties there were players capable of playing a similar kind of game. Little Jenn also had HUGE serve. Very nice to see.

4)A player in the losing end, that did not lose this match. Beaten by the bright younger star, who tried til the end. And even giving an interview shortly after her loss. Not rolling her eyes or walking up quickly to avoid like the b.tches we see today. :p

Sadly we donīt have a young challenging player, really talented, complete enough, not only to make a noise in the ranking but at the big events but also to bring some fresh air to the tour.

I hope you enjoy it..

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6dkJ4hW-Y

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkOQ6-l7KVA

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxr_s2trO8

duhcity
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Are you really sure Capriati is the example you want to use?

She's a clear case of why the Age Eligibility Rules are necessary. There's no reason a teenage girl had to go through what she did.

Libertango
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:51 AM
^Agreed.

It's sad, because boy, JCap was good; it just seems her career, and perhaps even moreso, her off-court life, was handled very badly.

Btw, is that Tracy Austin commentating?

Pureracket
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM
*whew* For a second, I thought it was going to be G. Sabatini. :bolt:

Slutiana
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
:lol:

Direwolf
Jul 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
was that a clay court??

azinna
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Are you really sure Capriati is the example you want to use....

Agreed. Much prefer having the Age Eligibility Rules and watching talents mature.

Also, spensercarlos, the game may now require a much more mature female body and mind. Serving and hitting big is no longer that effective without disguise, placement and astute point construction. Being aggressive on the return and at net now means being prepared to hit another 2-3 shots point-in, point-out (not just for highlights). And the improved defense makes for earlier injuries. So it may just be that much more difficult for a mid-teen to do damage on the tour and sustain it.

That said, Maria Sharapova did good as a teen, and Caro is respectable.

DefyingGravity
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:16 PM
If the teen can pull a Sharapova and get into the top 10/win a GS so that the Age Eligibility Rules get thrown out, it shows that she has solid talent and could last. Rarely do you find someone who could pull a Sharapova, and Jennifer COULD have, but she was just so mismanaged.

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Kvitova is pretty good ;)

Larrybidd
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I just think people who are anxious to see teens live the life of a tennis pro, with all the travel and all encompassing work that entails, are being heartless. Let these girls grow up a little before becoming full-time tennis conglomerates. JCap is a tragic example of what can and all too often does happen when you take a kids childhood from them, even if they think they want it at the time. Is your entertainment worth that?

Pureracket
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I just think people who are anxious to see teens live the life of a tennis pro, with all the travel and all encompassing work that entails, are being heartless. Let these girls grow up a little before becoming full-time tennis conglomerates. JCap is a tragic example of what can and all too often does happen when you take a kids childhood from them, even if they think they want it at the time. Is your entertainment worth that?Larry,
Trust me I'm 100% in your corner as far as how the life of a professional can be hazardous to a child; however, doesn't it worth both ways?

What to say of a child in America, Europe, or Africa who has the talent to compete with the top women who have families who are economically oppressed. What would you say to a young lady about the advantages of age eligibility whose mother has a terminal illness and whose father is not in the home?

PLP
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Awesome match, thx! I remember watching this and thinking that Jen might actually take the title that year.

While I agree with the idea of the age restrictions, I think they are a bit too harsh, and wonder how they have changed the shape of certain careers, Nastya P, Robson, etc., of course they have plenty of time to improve, but every player peaks at a different time.
Now we have 18 year olds winning Junior titles...I think the rules need to be adjusted somewhat.

Larrybidd
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Larry,
Trust me I'm 100% in your corner as far as how the life of a professional can be hazardous to a child; however, doesn't it worth both ways?

What to say of a child in America, Europe, or Africa who has the talent to compete with the top women who have families who are economically oppressed. What would you say to a young lady about the advantages of age eligibility whose mother has a terminal illness and whose father is not in the home?

The problem is exactly that: What you have is kids being used as the breadwinners for their families. What I would say is, kids can be poor and still enjoy a childhood. Kids all over the world are doing it. Kids should not bear that burden. Your argument is the same one justifying child labor in the 3rd world. Isn't it better that kids work for 50cents a day and provide for their families?

In practice, let's be real. Tennis is a quite expensive sport. True phenoms do get help and sponsorship (Masha, azerenka) to cover training and travel and thats OK. But they still shouldn't be allowed to work full-time work as a child to be saviors of their families. That's happened in hollywood to child actors and to young tennis players. And the examples of bad consequences of that are too numerous to list. Which is why laws were passed to try to protect child actors (including, work restrictions, education requirements and not allowing parents to control all the kids earnings).

It would be nice if we could count on parents to look out for the kids best interests, but experience has taught us that parents get crazy looking at the money, and loose their minds with greed. Given this fact of life, i see no need at all to relax the current restrictions.

Its not as if underage players are banned from the WTA, it simply means that can't kill themselves like Dokic did, chasing every possible penny for the good of the family purse. If these phenoms (which don't really exist at present) are really too good for the minors leagues, they'll clean up on that tour and with the WTA events they are allowed into, would have the opportunity to make a VERY nice income. This is all theoretical because these modern JCap's just don't exist. If they did, their talent would shine thru no matter how few WTA events they were allowed into.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM
True phenoms do get help and sponsorship (Masha, azerenka) to cover training and travel and thats OK.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/AJB4/Animated%20GIFs/rnghk.gif

spencercarlos
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Wortless comments from you as usual :rolleyes:..

Are you really sure Capriati is the example you want to use?

This thread is dedicated to Capriati, the up and coming girl 15 year old who actually had fun on the court and was a fun to watch and challenge the champions of that era. And the girl had talent. She was not the screaming overrated (De Brito/Oudin) player, neither the pushing boring player (Wozniacki/Aga) or an unfit streaky player (Kleybanova-Pavlyuchenkova-Rezai). She was a complete player. All around great on any surface...

What Jenn had was a sh.t of dad who pushed her over and over and "sell" her to the pressure and sponsors in order to do well tournament in tournament out. But i think that is another topic..

Niambi
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I never realised how similar Mauresmo's game was to Sabatini's. Maybe not identical, but I was reminded of dear Amelie. She is sorely missed.

Thank you for the videos. :-D

spencercarlos
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I never realised how similar Mauresmo's game was to Sabatini's. Maybe not identical, but I was reminded of dear Amelie. She is sorely missed.

Thank you for the videos. :-D
Indeed very similar styles. Mauresmo of course had more power on her shots. Sabatini was the more natural volleyer, whereareas Mauresmo lacked tons in the beginning. But her net game as Wimbledon 2006 was delicious...

So Disrespectful
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:23 AM
We don't really have any young players who are capable of playing competent defense and attacking tennis. Each young girl seems to be either great at one and poor at the other or just plain average at both.

duhcity
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM
This thread is dedicated to Capriati, the up and coming girl 15 year old who actually had fun on the court and was a fun to watch and challenge the champions of that era. And the girl had talent. She was not the screaming overrated (De Brito/Oudin) player, neither the pushing boring player (Wozniacki/Aga) or an unfit streaky player (Kleybanova-Pavlyuchenkova-Rezai). She was a complete player. All around great on any surface...

What Jenn had was a sh.t of dad who pushed her over and over and "sell" her to the pressure and sponsors in order to do well tournament in tournament out. But i think that is another topic..

I'm not saying that JCap was a bad player. And while the players you have listed can evolve into slam champions, Capriati is clearly far better. I'm not disputing that

But no, this thread may admire her as a player, but it's still the same as all the other threads with people whom bitch and complain non-stop about the state of the WTA. Don't try and overrate the importance of your thread simply because you think adding a video and a list of reasons gives it any more credibility.

And while Capriati in no way had model parents, it's ridiculous to think that there isn't another tennis parent out there pushing their teenagers to the extreme. The Wozniacki and Radwanska fathers aren't horrible, but they exert control and influence over their daughters in a way that that is unhealthy for women in their 20's

GAGAlady
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:45 AM
What a great match, even at 15 she was such a good player good striker of the ball...deff a pioneer in terms of that power tennis we see so regularly today.

people often forget that Jenn was one of those original power trailblazers.

HippityHop
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wortless comments from you as usual :rolleyes:..

Perhaps she did have fun on the court but it seems that she had misery off the court. But hey, who cares about her being an unhappy person as long as we're entertained?
But then again we can shed tears later when these phenoms completely fall apart.