PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting questions from Serena's Interview

serenafan08
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Q. Excluding your talented sister, what have been the toughest strokes that you have faced in terms of the serve, return, groundstrokes?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I always thought Lindsay Davenport proved to be really tough because she was really tall and intimidating. She hit a really clean shot. She was always one of my tougher opponents.

Q. Is there a stroke you wish you could have? If you sat down and said, If only I could have somebody's backhand, forehand, volley, especially when you were growing up?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think if I'd build the perfect game. I'd have Nadal's speed. I'd have like, I don't know, Roger's forehand. I would keep my serve so it can kind of keep it even. Then I don't know. Maybe Venus' reach.

Q. Whose mind would you have?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I'd keep mine.

Q. You're one of Wimbledon's great champions. Was there a champion from the past you would have loved to play on that Centre Court?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think the no‑brainer would probably be Navratilova. I've actually always wanted to play Gabriela Sabatini and Chris Evert. I don't know why. I've always wanted to play those two, so...

I loved the comments about Lindsay; further proved how well they got along. Can you imagine her playing Martina on Center Court? Might not be as tough as people think; that would be a more powerful version of Martina vs Chris. I would love to see Serena' speed vs Martina's volleys.

danieln1
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Loved the Lindsay reference... Lindsay used to give Serena some hard times, too bad on the important matches she would fold...

Volcana
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Serena vs Nav on Centre Court. Nav isn't that big, she'd get aced a bit. But Nav ahd a nice serve too, and Serena would be forced to try and pass her, which would mean more UEs, and a lot of volley winners. I'd like to at least see a computer sim of that.

kiwifan
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Serena vs Nav on Centre Court. Nav isn't that big, she'd get aced a bit. But Nav ahd a nice serve too, and Serena would be forced to try and pass her, which would mean more UEs, and a lot of volley winners. I'd like to at least see a computer sim of that.

Most women don't serve and volley today because you don't have to hit passing shots...you can put so much fire on those returns you don't have to slot it down a line or into a window...just blast away...I'm a serve and volleyer and more and more I have to sneak in there and hope to catch a routine ground stroke. It takes as much skill to hit a great approach shot these days as it does to just hit a winner...might as well save some energy and go for winners.

Nav only has a chance if they play with pre-1985 rackets; in a world where Serena never saw Kevin Curren v Boris Becker...the day after that match I swear I was serving 10-20 miles faster. ;)