PDA

View Full Version : Justine needs to go back to dancing with who brung her

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Justine became the distant frontrunner in women’s tennis precisely because she played a different style of tennis than the larger, stronger ladies who surrounded her. To characterize the notion that she is going to win Wimbledon at some point by trying to out hit her bigger colleagues as ill-conceived is an understatement; it is patently absurd.

Justine has twice been a set away from a Wimbledon crown. And I don’t think it can be disputed that both sets she has won in the Wimby finals were due to her all-court tennis prowess. I would be remiss not to acknowledge the wisdom in trying to prolong her career by reducing the stress and strain on her body that are unavoidable consequences of the longer points necessitated by her previous style of play. Nevertheless, as I see it, there are only two choices before her: keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll keep getting what you’re not getting, ie titles, or go back to playing the kind of tennis that elevated you to the apex of the WTA. There’s a price to pay either way.

I would rather Justine re-retire than hobble through what remains of her tennis career as a frustrated also-ran. Just my opinion. :shrug:

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
"brung" ???

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:32 AM
"brung" ???
I though I was the only one wondering about that word.

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
"brung" ???
Colloquialism ;)

Stamp Paid
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Player forum.

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Player forum.

I'm sorry. This is not apropos of tennis? :confused:

Stamp Paid
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry. This is not apropos of tennis? :confused:just giving you a hard time :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Justine became the distant frontrunner in womenís tennis precisely because she played a different style of tennis than the larger, stronger ladies who surrounded her. To characterize the notion that she is going to win Wimbledon at some point by trying to out hit her bigger colleagues as ill-conceived is an understatement; it is patently absurd.

Justine has twice been a set away from a Wimbledon crown. And I donít think it can be disputed that both sets she has won in the Wimby finals were due to her all-court tennis prowess. I would be remiss not to acknowledge the wisdom in trying to prolong her career by reducing the stress and strain on her body that are unavoidable consequences of the longer points necessitated by her previous style of play. Nevertheless, as I see it, there are only two choices before her: keep doing what youíre doing and youíll keep getting what youíre not getting, ie titles, or go back to playing the kind of tennis that elevated you to the apex of the WTA. Thereís a price to pay either way.

I would rather Justine re-retire than hobble through what remains of her tennis career as a frustrated also-ran. Just my opinion. :shrug:

What Justine fans fail to realize is that that style of play requires a lot of physical stamina and stength. Justine is older now, and can not maintain that gameplay over the course of seven matches. She wants to start the point in an offensive position so her opponent is doing most of the running. I think if she goes back to her older style she is going to burn out like she did in 08.

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
What Justine fans fail to realize is that that style of play requires a lot of physical stamina and stength. Justine is older now, and can not maintain that gameplay over the course of seven matches. She wants to start the point in an offensive position so her opponent is doing most of the running. I think if she goes back to her older style she is going to burn out like she did in 08.
I would be remiss not to acknowledge the wisdom in trying to prolong her career by reducing the stress and strain on her body that are unavoidable consequences of the longer points necessitated by her previous style of play... Thereís a price to pay either way.

I believe I acknowledged this point in my post.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I believe I acknowledged this point in my post.
There is a price to pay either way........then enjoy this reincarnation of Justine. Either way the results will be the same.:shrug:

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Plus, this injury does not help her.

She's gona have to start over again.
Get body in shape , stamina training match readiness.
The stamina training and game plan, which still a work in progress are the most challenging part in days ahead.

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Plus, this injury does not help her.

She's gona have to start over again.
Get body in shape , stamina training match readiness.
The stamina training and game plan, which still a work in progress are the most challenging part in days ahead.

As bummed as I am about this injury, maybe it will give Justine and Carlos pause for reflection and end up being a blessing. Either way, I just hope she's ok. :sad:

Onyx
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Justine was more interesting to watch when she wasn't trying to match power for power with her opponents. Now she makes more errors than usual and looking at her coach isn't going to win her a major

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:06 AM
As bummed as I am about this injury, maybe it will give Justine and Carlos pause for reflection and end up being a blessing. Either way, I just hope she's ok. :sad:
Exapnd your thought.

You must have an idea of where you think/wish they might lean after re-assessment and reflection
What is your hunch on their next step at the end of this process?

Stay the course
Reassess and re-tool the game
Hang it up for good because Justine body at 28 can not handle the physical demand required to be successful.
Unlike Martina H, I don't think Justine would stick around playing low grade tennis "because she loves the game".
Justine is about goals and results, not about pleasing fans who enjoy her backhand

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Exapnd your thought.

You must have an idea of where you think/wish they might lean after re-assessment and reflection
What is your hunch on their next step at the end of this process?

Stay the course
Reassess and re-tool the game
Hang it because Justine body at 28 can not handle the physical demand required to be successful.

I'd like to think the original post answers this: either play the kind of tennis that made her successful...or quit. :shrug:

:(

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I'd like to think the original post answers this: either play the kind of tennis that made her successful...or quit. :shrug:

:(
I think you are a little late on that.

When Justine came back, I think tCarlos and she decided that the kind of tennis that won her 7 GS is not enough to win Wimbledon.
Otherwise they would have already
Hence the new approach consisting of sustained aggression and power, first strike agression, short points.

However, after RG, Justine did mention tha they will make an assessment and take it frorm there.

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:30 AM
However, after RG, Justine did mention tha they will make an assessment and take it frorm there.

That's encouraging, as far as it goes. For myself, I think her body could handle her old style of play just fine, were it not for that stupid virus she's carrying around. :fiery: There, as they say, is the rub: if she taxes her body too much, she's always in danger of a relapse, and from what I understand, that would be physically devastating for Justine. Personally, I always thought that was why she retired in the first place, and I think her new approach to the game kind of bears that out. I just know that neither she nor most of her fans are going to be satisfied with mediocre results, especially knowing the greatness of which she's capable. Justine's walking a fine line, and I just think at some point she's just gonna have to decide whether to fish or cut bait. :shrug:

Larrybidd
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I think JH's new aggressive style of play works fine for most players. Henin hasn't taken many really bad losses has she? I do agree she needs to go back to her old style when the occasion calls for it. Her AO final against Serena was THE most idiotic game plan for a final I've witnessed. I hope Carlos didn't charge her for AO. Serena was wrapped up like a mummy and worn out from singles and doubles. Why would you not make Serena run to win points, instead of helping Serena keep the points short? As a Serena fan i just wanted to give Henin a big kiss for playing quick-strike aggressive tennis and letting Serena rest. I mean, even if Henis lost a long baseline rally with Serena, she'd win the war, 'cuz babygirl was running on fumes.

Thank you Juju.

Black Mamba.
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:55 AM
From an outside perspective I think her new style isn't bad. I just think she needs to pull back some of her aggression at times and I think she needs to get some of her mental toughness back. From what I've seen she disappears on the big points which is something she rarely did in the past. Whether that's a result of her new style or just a result of taking time off from tennis I'm not sure but it's not like she's losing love and love in her matches.

tennnisfannn
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Personally I don't think her former game was incapable of winning wimbledon. When she lost her first wimby final it was to one of the greats of wimby and justine was reativley inexperienced. her second wimby final loss was to someone whose game was so close to her own than anyone lese on the tour. It was 6/4 in the third against a very inspired opponent.
The williams have dominated wimby this last decade and when they are on they are untouchable on this surface. Her 08 mindset was good enough to win her wimby.
Her present game has brought her relativley little success, that being said perhaps kim's success created a senes of false hope for justine and fans alike- perhaps she need a little longer to adjust. It was justine who gave up on tennis, she was fed up and fatiqued by it. Kim on the other hand was pregnant, perhaps the choice was not entirely hers and she probably felt unaccomplished- Justine was satisfied with her career when she retired.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM
She still owns Dementieva. :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Personally I don't think her former game was incapable of winning wimbledon. When she lost her first wimby final it was to one of the greats of wimby and justine was reativley inexperienced. her second wimby final loss was to someone whose game was so close to her own than anyone lese on the tour. It was 6/4 in the third against a very inspired opponent.
The williams have dominated wimby this last decade and when they are on they are untouchable on this surface. Her 08 mindset was good enough to win her wimby.
Her present game has brought her relativley little success, that being said perhaps kim's success created a senes of false hope for justine and fans alike- perhaps she need a little longer to adjust. It was justine who gave up on tennis, she was fed up and fatiqued by it. Kim on the other hand was pregnant, perhaps the choice was not entirely hers and she probably felt unaccomplished- Justine was satisfied with her career when she retired.:lol::tape:

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Too aggressive...specially on second serve returns. When it's working it's good, but when you see it ain't working...then you have to dial back.