PDA

View Full Version : Who caught your attention during Wimbledon?

Temperenka
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Did anyone discover themselves liking any new players over this last fortnight?

For me, I re-discovered Pironkova who I used to really enjoy watching play, after she all but seemingly vanished over the last year.

I also for the first time considered myself a fan of Na Li. I really enjoy her attitude, and when her game is on, it is really a joy to watch.

Also, I became a fan of Yari Shvedova. She first caught my attention at the USO last year, but while watching the doubles, I found many aspects of her game beautiful, I enjoy her on-court demeanor, and she is very attractive to boot. ;)

What about other people?

Break My Rapture
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Sachie Ishizu. :D

KournikovaFan91
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I agree with Pironkova and Shvedova.

I remember I liked King about two years ago but then kinda forgot about her, was nice to see her in that doubles final.

I noticed how bad Wozniacki's game is currently :tape: I still like her personality so I will still root for her. :lol:

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:15 AM
petra kvitova.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Lakeisha..did anyone see straight after Serena won the final how she wanted to shake Oracene's hand or whatever she wanted to do and Oracene looked a little clueless before the camera switched to other areas? :o

Break My Rapture
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:18 AM
And also Zahlavova Strycova, but in a bad way.

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Petra Kvitová.
Being lefty is an asset for her. Good height.
Need to work on her fittness and movement a little.
Someone to watch

Na Li
Continues to impress at Grand Slam.
Had separated herslef from the other Chinese # 2, Zheng Jie

Maria Sharapova:
Her comeback is finally heading in the right direction

Vera Zvorenova
Impressive at this tournament.
I suggest that she stop the doubles and focuss on the singles at the next GS.
She seems to have trouble handling the pressure of entering both.

Serena:
Has matured into a true professional, who thinks for herslef and is able to assess her game and identify areas of her game to work on, in order to maximize her edge on her opponent.

Pops Maellard
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Elena Dementieva, because slams suck without her. :rolleyes:

.Andrew.
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Martic - First match I watched of her was her match against Wozniacki at the USO and wasn't so impressed. I heard really good things about her match against Wickmayer so it drove me to watch her match against Baltacha, and she was losing 5-3 at this point. But she really impressed me. Of the young stars, I think she could really develop an all-court game because she can do it all. Her slice is particularly fantastic (for the younger players esp.), because it comes naturally to her i.e Henin/Mauresmo. I didn't find real weaknesses except that she's a frail girl so she will have to become stronger and that she has no particular weapon but that can grow in age. I can't wait to see more of her.

King - Well, I watched a majority of her match against Hantuchova and I forgot how smart and how clever she is. She learned a lot from her past matches at with her. She really adjusted well, by trying to take the iniative of points before Hantuchova did by hitting more aggressively and doing some S&V (very refreshing to see). Unfortunately, Hantuchova adjusted (surprisngly :p) as well and we couldn't see an upset because King definitely was deserving to be in the next round at least.

Kanepi - Obviously the Henin win has given her confidence... I watched her match against Stosur and what a humongous game! I forgot how good she is, and I'm happy to see she is playing well again.

Sharapova - Well I've seen her three tournaments in a row (Henin RG, Li Birmingham, Serena Wimbledon) but it's obvious that the girl is on the right track. I think her form is getting better and better as this year goes on. Some wanted a perfect performance saying like her serve is awful blah blah, but considering she hasn't beaten a top 40 player (yet) her recent performances show that she's getting there. I dislike her alot, but I think it'll be great to have Sharapova in the mix again. Hopefully Ivanovic will be back too soon. :)

KournikovaFan91
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Lakeisha..did anyone see straight after Serena won the final how she wanted to shake Oracene's hand or whatever she wanted to do and Oracene looked a little clueless before the camera switched to other areas? :o

Yeah she was grabbing Oracene :spit:

Love Lakeisha, :worship:

Randy H
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Well, not sure anyone caught my attention as if to make me a fan of them, but the closest was probably Vania King - Just enjoyed watching her and Shvedova's doubles run, nice to see 2 players out there just savouring the moment. They were all smiles, and played some excellent tennis, refreshing to see when you watch so many girls with piss poor attitude on the court.

Shepster
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Well I would say Kanepi but I already thought she rocked after Birmingham. Hmm. *pulls up draw, goes backwards through it* ... no, just Pliskova/Ishizu/Dean in the girls.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Well, not sure anyone caught my attention as if to make me a fan of them, but the closest was probably Vania King - Just enjoyed watching her and Shvedova's doubles run, nice to see 2 players out there just savouring the moment. They were all smiles, and played some excellent tennis, refreshing to see when you watch so many girls with piss poor attitude on the court.
....one of their opponents?

JustineTime
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:04 AM

For me, I re-discovered Pironkova who I used to really enjoy watching play, after she all but seemingly vanished over the last year.

It's funny, as soon as I saw the thread title, Pironkova was the first person I thought of. I really like her game...and she's cute as a button, too! :D

Mary Cherry.
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:05 AM

:hysteric: YES. I lol'd.

Randy H
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:08 AM
....one of their opponents?

Zvonareva being one of them, yes - However, I did feel a bit of compassion for her under the circumstances of this instance as I thought they should have been a bit more fair and scheduled the Ladies Doubles final for Sunday, opposite the singles.

Cakeisgood
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Petra and Maria. Petra because her game is really nice when it's on, and Maria for her improvements :)

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Nothing struck me in singles. A lot of bad tennis this tournament. Not from Serena, but she has a killer serve.
Venus had one of her worst losses ever.
I cant believe Kim lost the last 2 sets to Vera with Pironkova waiting in the semis.

Vesnina and Shvedova were the surprises, they both could be YEC doubles players

Anabelcroft
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Isner and Mahut ;)

Roookie
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Kvitova...the girl can blast the ball and even outhit Serena :eek:. But I'm afraid she's just another Rezai. Hit and miss tennis..when the balls are in is great when there not its ugly.

Dawn Marie
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM
kivota,serena,hingis,anna k,the kid who beat roddick.

Rix643
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:34 AM
The Pliskova twins...... :drool: :lick:

nevetssllim
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hlavackova, Zakopalova and Shvedova. I've always liked them but I think I'm fully-fledged fans of all of them now. ;)

I also went to Wimbledon qualifying and the same with Diatchenko and Pivovarova.

Michael.
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Zahlavova Strycova. :hearts:

Shinjiro
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Ronnie Wood's new girlfriend.

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Pironkova...when you can beat Vee like that on grass, you can play. Period.

Petra...the shriek's annoying, but she has a future. Although it was a bad idea to start fist pumping in Serena's face. ;)

Maria..she's on the way back. Nice.

Vera..should be proud of herself!

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Maria S actually. Really enjoyed seeing her play in RG and Wimby this year, and will gladly enjoy seeing her during the hardcourt season!

Pureracket
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Ah, I like that Kvitova kid.

I didn't know what a sweet piece of ass T. Berdych was either. (He needs to take that hat off and smile more).

Kunal
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM
kvitova has got game

V-MAC
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Heather Watson and Jarmila Groth (hadn't seen her play before that match with Vee)

spartanfan
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Martic - First match I watched of her was her match against Wozniacki at the USO and wasn't so impressed. I heard really good things about her match against Wickmayer so it drove me to watch her match against Baltacha, and she was losing 5-3 at this point. But she really impressed me. Of the young stars, I think she could really develop an all-court game because she can do it all. Her slice is particularly fantastic (for the younger players esp.), because it comes naturally to her i.e Henin/Mauresmo. I didn't find real weaknesses except that she's a frail girl so she will have to become stronger and that she has no particular weapon but that can grow in age. I can't wait to see more of her.

King - Well, I watched a majority of her match against Hantuchova and I forgot how smart and how clever she is. She learned a lot from her past matches at with her. She really adjusted well, by trying to take the iniative of points before Hantuchova did by hitting more aggressively and doing some S&V (very refreshing to see). Unfortunately, Hantuchova adjusted (surprisngly :p) as well and we couldn't see an upset because King definitely was deserving to be in the next round at least.

Kanepi - Obviously the Henin win has given her confidence... I watched her match against Stosur and what a humongous game! I forgot how good she is, and I'm happy to see she is playing well again.

Sharapova - Well I've seen her three tournaments in a row (Henin RG, Li Birmingham, Serena Wimbledon) but it's obvious that the girl is on the right track. I think her form is getting better and better as this year goes on. Some wanted a perfect performance saying like her serve is awful blah blah, but considering she hasn't beaten a top 40 player (yet) her recent performances show that she's getting there. I dislike her alot, but I think it'll be great to have Sharapova in the mix again. Hopefully Ivanovic will be back too soon. :)
I'm not sure if she just ratcheted it up a notch or two against Serena because she's Serena, but she didn't get blown off the court, and it looks like her game is headed in the right direction. I am suprised she's not in the top 10 still.

graciaesia
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
What definitely caught my attention during the 2010 Wimbledon edition was the epic struggle between Mahut and Isner. Not only it was a beautiful match to watch but it became legendary with its duration.
Actually the press was unanimous about this titanic tussle:

www.pickanews.com/qespresspub/servlet/QESServlet_prepare?Base=22800768&Premier=1&Dernier=20&F_2=isner

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2010/6/23/1277330052238/Mahut-Isner-006.jpg

.Andrew.
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure if she just ratcheted it up a notch or two against Serena because she's Serena, but she didn't get blown off the court, and it looks like her game is headed in the right direction. I am suprised she's not in the top 10 still.

Well, I think every player tends to try to bring their best against Serena. :p But her efforts against Henin was also really impressive. The Li match is a little questionable (especially that dismal second set :tape:) but I do agree that she is back on the right track now. :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM

I also for the first time considered myself a fan of Na Li. I really enjoy her attitude, and when her game is on, it is really a joy to watch.

Also, I became a fan of Yari Shvedova. She first caught my attention at the USO last year, but while watching the doubles, I found many aspects of her game beautiful, I enjoy her on-court demeanor, and she is very attractive to boot. ;)

What about other people?

Great thread!!!

For the 1st time in ages I wouldn't actually say I became a new fan of anyone this Wimbledon and Roehampton. But quite a few players that I previously liked I ended up liking a whole lot more.

Most notably was Tsveti Pironkova, a player I too had rather forgotten about and lost interest in. However after watching her match against Bartoli I was absolutely thrilled with what I had seen and I was delighted to see her then go on to beat Venus. Her charm also helped win my support. Simply she was the star of Wimbledon for me.

My 2nd favourite match I went to during Wimbledon was the match between Elena Baltacha and Petra Martic and like several other people in this thread I loved the way Martic played this match. Grass suits her so way and she has such a dainty graceful way of playing. Petra had already made a huge impression on me with her match in Paris against Wickmayer earlier this year and everything I loved about her in that match was present again here.

Other players who made a positive impression on me over the last three weeks include Monica Niculescu, who played wonderful stuff for 4 matches, Andrea Hlavackova who's flat hitting works beautifully on grass, Alex Dulgheru and Kimiko Date-Krumm who played a really entertaining match between them, and Mirjana Lucic who was awesome in qualifying.

And last but not least I was of course delighted with the team of King and Shvedova. Obviously I have been a huge fan of Slava for several years but I was delighted to see her with a partner who she had such an amazing chemistry with. Needless to say, her partner Vania King also made a very positive impression on me. I am also really happy reading this thread and the doubles results threads of their wins and seeing that finally Slava is starting to win more fans. She really is one of the most likable players in tennis and she has a great game to boot. I have no doubt as her profile grows so will her fanbase.

wally1
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Pironkova definitely. I never realised her game was so interesting to watch until this tournament. I hope she can keep up this sort of form.

From the qualifying I really enjoyed watching Kurumi Nara and Misaki Doi - I'll follow their results from now on.

pav
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I cant believe Kim lost the last 2 sets to Vera with Pironkova waiting in the semis.

Vesnina and Shvedova were the surprises, they both could be YEC doubles players[/quote]
Kim lost because Bepa played better.
Vesnina might not have got to the final playing with another,very fashionable to say Ves carried Bepa.

Temperenka
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Great thread!!!

For the 1st time in ages I wouldn't actually say I became a new fan of anyone this Wimbledon and Roehampton. But quite a few players that I previously liked I ended up liking a whole lot more.

Most notably was Tsveti Pironkova, a player I too had rather forgotten about and lost interest in. However after watching her match against Bartoli I was absolutely thrilled with what I had seen and I was delighted to see her then go on to beat Venus. Her charm also helped win my support. Simply she was the star of Wimbledon for me.

My 2nd favourite match I went to during Wimbledon was the match between Elena Baltacha and Petra Martic and like several other people in this thread I loved the way Martic played this match. Grass suits her so way and she has such a dainty graceful way of playing. Petra had already made a huge impression on me with her match in Paris against Wickmayer earlier this year and everything I loved about her in that match was present again here.

Other players who made a positive impression on me over the last three weeks include Monica Niculescu, who played wonderful stuff for 4 matches, Andrea Hlavackova who's flat hitting works beautifully on grass, Alex Dulgheru and Kimiko Date-Krumm who played a really entertaining match between them, and Mirjana Lucic who was awesome in qualifying.

And last but not least I was of course delighted with the team of King and Shvedova. Obviously I have been a huge fan of Slava for several years but I was delighted to see her with a partner who she had such an amazing chemistry with. Needless to say, her partner Vania King also made a very positive impression on me. I am also really happy reading this thread and the doubles results threads of their wins and seeing that finally Slava is starting to win more fans. She really is one of the most likable players in tennis and she has a great game to boot. I have no doubt as her profile grows so will her fanbase.

Great post. :worship:

AnomyBC
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Sharapova, Zvonareva, Pironkova, Kvitova, Zakopalova and Shvedova. Wow, their names all end in "va" :)

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:47 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/107nvuw.jpg

Vera's hitting partner/coach. :hearts:

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Underperformers

Stosur
Throughout the clay season, she had an excellent game, with potential to be rewarded on grass.
But after RG final defeat and disspointment, seems to have declared weeks of mourning for the loss
Her passage in londong was uneventful

Schiovane
We knew her triumph at RG was such a great high that her appearence would be underwhelming.
But gone after the first round was the least expected

Aravane Rezai
After storming RG with big serves and fearless, confident groundstroke, I thought she will continue this form at Wimby.

Venus Williams
This has happen before to Venus, not as shocking as this time.
Because it is Wimbledon, and there was no known health issues with Venus.

Henin
If Henin comeback is motivated by Wmbledon, she should not loose to someone who plays on grass as it is clay.
Bus as she said following her exit in Paris, 2010 is a transition period, trial and error, assessment and adjustments.

makirilenko
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I was never a big Masha fan, but I've been following her more recently and I'm starting to like her more and she seems headed int he right direction competitively. I always sort of despised Groth for some reason, but she's giving me more reasons to root for her and I think I'll be supporting her from now on. Dulgheru was impressive on grass this season, will be glad to support her.

On the Men's side Mahut and Isner garnered a ton of respect from me, and I just love how Mahut plays so he jumped big time on my favorites list. I was never a huge Berdych fan either, but I respected him and his RG and Wimbledon runs put me into the fan category.

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:40 AM
King and Shvedova made me do a double take. And I loved the Serena vs. Sharapova and the Nadal vs. Murray matches, but all in all there weren't that many memorable matches on either side. Of course that's excluding the Isner vs. Mahut match- no need to add anything further to that one, it's all been said.

More than anything I love seeing Nadal and Serena win majors together- I couldn't ask for anything more. It's a double win for me as fan of both.

viele
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Heather Watson and Jarmila Groth (hadn't seen her play before that match with Vee)

Was waiting for someone to mention Groth. Also had not seen her play before and was very impressed by her serve and heavy groundstrokes. Seeing as how Venus was not in top form, in hindsight that was a winnable match for Groth.

#1Davenport
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I noticed Kvitova. I feel like she could be a future GS champion if she keeps up playing so well.

Cakeisgood
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:45 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/107nvuw.jpg

Vera's hitting partner/coach. :hearts:

OMG
:drool::drool::drool: