PDA

View Full Version : Mariana Alves Umpiring the Women's Wimbledon Final.

LCS
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:13 PM
In your face, haters. Just comes to show how good an umpire she actually is. That 2004 USO match is completely behind her. :wavey:

Mike_T
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Is she the one that umped the Petrova/Azarenka match at Wimby, ’09, by chance? If not, who was it? Because it was the worst umpiring I’ve ever seen.

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Is this some kind of misplaced, nationalistic, in-your-face thread?

spencercarlos
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:19 PM
In your face, haters. Just comes to show how good an umpire she actually is. That 2004 USO match is completely behind her. :wavey:
Even in 2010 she is completly messing scores in games, i can even remmember having ATP players all against her umpiring-messing job in Miami.

Not yesterday in the final thought and pretty much beacause that in less than a hour, her chances of failure are less. :devil:

SerenaSlam
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
who HATES on a chair umpire that COMPLETELY MESSED UP and is the reason for REPLAY now? Definitely was not HATING it was disappointment in a Professional that was not Professional at all. Everyone Remembers the match and I can't think of anyone that would have something positive to say about her mistakes #imjustsaying. Yeah it may be behind her but it happened...hell!

volta
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM
This is going to be one hell of a thread :rolls:
Prepara-te para a chuva de red dots na reputaçāo :lol:

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Is she the one that umped the Petrova/Azarenka match at Wimby, ’09, by chance? If not, who was it? Because it was the worst umpiring I’ve ever seen.
Here is Alves

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040908/040908_alves_vmed_11a.standard.jpgJohn Sommers / REUTERS
Chair umpire Mariana Alves thrust herself into a firestorm of controversy after an errant call during Jennifer Capriati's victory over Serena Williams.

Ferg
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Love that bitch so much!!! :inlove: I really do!

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Officials apologize to Serena for bad call

Umpire dismissed from Open after mistake in Williams loss to Capriati

updated 4:50 p.m. ET, Thurs., Sept . 9, 2004
NEW YORK - U.S. Openhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5933547/#) organizers have apologized to Serena Williams for a controversial line call in her quarterfinal loss to Jennifer Capriati on Tuesday.

Williams hit a backhand well inside the sideline at deuce in the opening game of the third set that was called good by the lineswoman but overruled by umpire Mariana Alves.

The third seed, who lost the match 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, initially thought Alves had simply called the score wrongly, but the Portuguese confirmed to USTA officials that she had overruled.

“I called Serena,” said Arlen Kantarian, the Chief Executive of Professional Tennis (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5933547/#). “I apologized for the call, the overrule — which was a clear mistake — and told her how important she was to the U.S. Open, how she was a class act and how well she handled the situation last night.

“She was very appreciative of the call.”
U.S. Open Tournament Director Jim Curley confirmed an earlier statement by the USTA that Alves would not officiate in any further matches at the tournament.
“It was a mistake but she is a very experienced umpire and mistakes get made out there,” said Curley.

“She (Alves) was under consideration for another match, a women’s match, but we decided that it was in the best interests of the tournament (that she stand down),” he said.
The furor over the overrule and other linecalls that went against Williams in the match has renewed calls for technology to be used to assist the umpires in close decisions.

“The USTA, WTA, ITF and ATP have been exploring new technology for 20 years,” Kantarian said.
“We actually tested some technology, called Auto-Ref, in the qualifying tournament, so we are definitely looking into it.”
“I guess she went temporarily insane,” Williams said after the match.

No one would say whether Alves — seated on the opposite side of the court from where Williams’ ball landed — had been flat-out fired. Either way, she’s gone — too late to help Williams.

“I’d prefer she not umpire at my court anymore,” Williams said. “She’s obviously anti-Serena.”
The eighth-seeded Capriati will next play No. 6 Elena Dementieva, who defeated No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (1).
Only last week, Capriati called for tennis to try some sort of instant replay.

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040908/040908_alves_vmed_11a.standard.jpgJohn Sommers / REUTERS

Chair umpire Mariana Alves thrust herself into a firestorm of controversy after an errant call during Jennifer Capriati's victory over Serena Williams.
“I don’t need to see the replay,” Williams said. “I know my shots. Not only was it in, it wasn’t even near the line.”

“I’m very angry and bitter right now. I felt cheated. Shall I go on? I just feel robbed,” she said, managing to laugh. “At first, I thought it was another Wimbledon conspiracy.”

Sister Venus lost in the second round this summer at Wimbledon after Karolina Sprem was mistakenly awarded an extra point in the final-set tiebreaker. Venus did not contest (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5933547/#) the call, and chair umpire Ted Watts was tossed out of the tournament.

Serena made a point to say she does not argue calls. Only this time, she did — for good reason, it turned out.
Williams hit a backhand that landed in along the side line, but Alves took it away, and Capriati went on to win (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5933547/#) the key first game.

TV replays showed the line judge had called it correctly. But as Williams headed back to the baseline to serve, she heard Alves announce: “Advantage, Capriati.”

A startled Williams looked up and asked, “What happened?” Then she said to Alves: “That’s my point. That ball was in. It’s my advantage.”

Williams looked up at her family in the guest box, turned around and headed toward Alves.
“No, no, no, no, no,” Williams said. “That was my point! What are you talking about? What’s going on? Excuse me? That ball was so in. What the heck is this?”

Williams tried to illustrate her point, putting a ball on the court and pointing.
“The ball landed here. That ball was not out. Are you kidding me? I’m trying to tell you: The ball was not out. Do I need to speak another language?”

Answered Alves: “Please calm down.”
Capriati stood at the other end, shaking her head.

“I didn’t even, like, look at it. It was close. I was just going to do what the umpire said,” Capriati told the crowd after the match, drawing some boos and murmurs.

“Believe me, I’ve had things go against me many times, plenty of times. I deserve to get a call once in a while. One point, I don’t think, changed the match.”

Said Williams: “Honestly, I began to think, ‘OK, well, I’m not going to go for the lines, I’m not going to go for my shots.”
Later in the final set, replays showed at least two other incorrect calls that went against Williams.

Capriati beat Williams in the French Open and lost to her at Wimbledon. Capriati has never reached the final at Flushing Meadows — last year, she was two points from making it that far 10 times when she lost to eventual champion Justine Henin-Hardenne in the semis.

In the last set against Williams, Capriati thought about that near-miss.
“There were actually a couple times there where that went through my mind. I was like, ‘I’m not going to let this happen again,”’ she said. “I think it was a good thing to think about it.”

Capriati has won three Grand Slam events and Williams has taken six. For the first time since 1998, Venus and Serena will finish the season without a single major title between them.

“You get second chance after chance after chance,” Capriati said. “I don’t care what the tennis looks like, as long as it’s gutsy.”

source: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5933547/

Mike_T
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Here is Alves

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040908/040908_alves_vmed_11a.standard.jpg

Can’t remember if it was her. Which ever ump it was, must have been in a coma, because Azarenka was easily doing enough to be disqualified, yet the ump said and did precisely nothing.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:35 PM
It was Asderaki in Azarenka's case I think.

Myskinacomeback
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:43 PM
i think the umpires do a great job
considering they have no powers
really

Bijoux0021
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
That 2004 USO match is completely behind her my ass! You wish. :o When you google her name, the first thing it says about her is how horrendous she was at that 2004 USO. It's a disgrace she still has a job.

RYNJ
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM
i think the umpires do a great job
considering they have no powers
really

If you are capable of changing a ball clearly in and suggest it was out... thats no power?

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:54 PM
That 2004 USO match is completely behind her my ass! You wish. :o When you google her name, the first thing it says about her is how horrendous she was at that 2004 USO. It's a disgrace she still has a job.
You are correct, she is forever associated with this incident.

I don't the thread author took that into consideration, blinded by his/her nationalistic fervor to find Alves on a big stage again.

young_gunner913
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:55 PM
She had some pretty close calls in the Serena-Stosur FO QF against Sam. She was obviously not pleased with 2 over the overrules.

LightWarrior
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I wonder how in hell she has been rehabilitated after her blunders -to put it mildly. Plus her English is so bad, just like Greek umpire. Bad voices for both. I like the Australian woman, she's great and knows her job.

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:46 AM
who HATES on a chair umpire that COMPLETELY MESSED UP and is the reason for REPLAY now? Definitely was not HATING it was disappointment in a Professional that was not Professional at all. Everyone Remembers the match and I can't think of anyone that would have something positive to say about her mistakes #imjustsaying. Yeah it may be behind her but it happened...hell!

who HATES on a player that COMPLETELY LOST IT during a match and threatened to shove a ball down someone's throat and is the reason for getting a RECORD FINE? Definitely was not HATING it was disappointment in a Professional that was not Professional at all. Everyone Remembers her outburst and I can't think of anyone who that would have anything positive to say about her outburst #imjustsaying. Yeah it may be behind her but it happened...hell!

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM
(No doubt we're now going to hear that making an honest albeit bad umpiring mistake is infinitely worse than threatening someone while shaking a heavy racquet at them.)

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM
(No doubt we're now going to hear that making an honest albeit bad umpiring mistake is infinitely worse than threatening someone while shaking a heavy racquet at them.)
How many times you are going to make this point?

In addition, Serena behavior does not excuse the blunder by a chair umpire.

Do you know it happened in 2004? This was a major mistake.
And it brought about the use of hawk-eye

And yes it is worse than Serena's outburst.

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
How many times you are going to make this point?

In addition, Serena behavior does not excuse the blunder by a chair umpire.

Do you know it happened in 2004? This was a major mistake.
And it brought about the use of hawk-eye

It was indeed a major mistake, and I'm aware it was probably the main stimulus for Hawkeye. But my point still stands: you Serena fans can't say Serena should be forgiven for her "mistake", and yet continue to crucify Alves for her mistake from 6 years ago.

And yes it is worse than Serena's outburst.

Hopelessly deluded, but not unexpected.

Rome
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM
It was indeed a major mistake, and I'm aware it was probably the main stimulus for Hawkeye. But my point still stands: you Serena fans can't say Serena should be forgiven for her "mistake", and yet continue to crucify Alves for her mistake from 6 years ago.

Hopelessly deluded, but not unexpected.

You are a joke bro. How in the f***ing world can you type this crap with a straight face? Roger,Maria,Rafa or any other player would have went f***ing crazy had this happen to them i'm not sure they would have use the words Serena did but non the less i'm sure the line judge would have been called all kinds of foul things.

Serenita
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM
OP is just sad, Portugal got there asses handed to them in the world cup. Only sporting accomplishment Portugal has, is that Alves is umpiring a GS final. :lol:

RenaSlam.
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:57 AM

Blaming you if this thread reaches 25+ pages. Dbag.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:08 AM
LOL Alves knew to keep her mouth shut in the finals -- notice how she did nothing but call the score and rely on the linesjudges to make the calls.

Jane Lane
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I wonder how in hell she has been rehabilitated after her blunders -to put it mildly. Plus her English is so bad, just like Greek umpire. Bad voices for both. I like the Australian woman, she's great and knows her job.

Eva speaks better English than some of the players, i.e Nadal, IMHO.

tennnisfannn
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:09 AM
What has English got to do with anything? The only reqirement is for her to be able to see, count and understand the rules be it in any language including sign language.

Marty-Dom
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:13 AM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7219/ghostsh.gif

spiritedenergy
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM
why did they choose her?:tape::help::o

thankfully she didn't have any way to d damage considering how lopsided the match was...

spiritedenergy
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM
OP is just sad, Portugal got there asses handed to them in the world cup. Only sporting accomplishment Portugal has, is that Alves is umpiring a GS final. :lol:

:haha:

Serenita
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:58 AM
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7219/ghostsh.gif

:bigcry::sobbing:

bandabou
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:35 AM

AH mann....don't you get tired of yourself? Me, that call was soo long ago. It's all forgotten now. It's when people act like it was NO big deal, NOTHING happened, that I get a bit mad.

But really drop your act of hating on Serena the whole time. It's getting old.

Elwin.
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
People should stop bitching at Alves.
Don't we all make mistakes? :weirdo:

Kworb
Jul 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Serena is not over it.

Q. Speaking of Hawk‑Eye, you could argue because of the mess in New York with Jennifer that night, the same umpire in the chair today.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I know. Tell me about it (smiling).

Q. In some way do you take in some pride that not only the USTA apologized to you, but it really did lead to Hawk‑Eye and your getting messed over that night led to a huge change in our game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Could that have been 14? That could have been 14 today.

Serenus Christ
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Serena is not over it.

Q. Speaking of Hawk‑Eye, you could argue because of the mess in New York with Jennifer that night, the same umpire in the chair today.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I know. Tell me about it (smiling).

Q. In some way do you take in some pride that not only the USTA apologized to you, but it really did lead to Hawk‑Eye and your getting messed over that night led to a huge change in our game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Could that have been 14? That could have been 14 today.

I'm a serena fan but
:hysteric: she is such a diva

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM

This is such a stupid comment. It could just reflect the corruption/chronyism/irresponsibility/unaccountability of the system.

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2010, 09:29 PM
AH mann....don't you get tired of yourself? Me, that call was soo long ago. It's all forgotten now. It's when people act like it was NO big deal, NOTHING happened, that I get a bit mad.

But really drop your act of hating on Serena the whole time. It's getting old.

Clearly it's NOT all forgotten, as shown by Serena pathetically moaning about it on her Twitter a few weeks ago, and by some bitter Serena fans in this thread.

And I'm not saying nothing happened, but it was NOT a big deal - it was ONE point that Serena lost, anyone who says it altered the course of the match and changed the result takes clutching at straws to new levels.

Olórin
Jul 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Clearly it's NOT all forgotten, as shown by Serena pathetically moaning about it on her Twitter a few weeks ago, and by some bitter Serena fans in this thread.

And I'm not saying nothing happened, but it was NOT a big deal - it was ONE point that Serena lost, anyone who says it altered the course of the match and changed the result takes clutching at straws to new levels.

You are so ignorant and reveal how little you know about tennis with each post you make. Clearly this is one of the many matches you talk about but have never actually seen. There was that one horrendous call at deuce at the beginning of the third set and then there were two other horrendous calls at 4-5 when Serena was serving to stay in the match; hawk-eye showed they were clearly in.

There is no room for doubt whatsoever that those bad calls materially contributed to the outcome of the match.

aisha
Jul 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Anytime this broad calls a Serena match, I must admit I give her the side-eye. :devil:

LeonHart
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Well she's either a great umpire to be picked for the Wimbledon Womens final or she's doing some favors behind closed doors :shrug:

toby345
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM
It's almost 6 years ago and some are still not over it :rolls: :haha:

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
...or she's doing some favors behind closed doors :shrug:
Hummm... I wander who is receiving these favors.
I wish I knew who was on the board that pick the umpires.
Inquiring minds would like to know?

I know Alison Lang has always been the best umpire on the women side.

Bruno71
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Mariana is the Anci of umpiring...she is sweetness and light.

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM
It's almost 6 years ago and some are still not over it :rolls: :haha:
Serena said this could have been her 14th slam had not been for that call.

So, I guress there is still a sense of what could have been.

But you're right, it is time to look forward.

shoparound
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:47 PM
In other news Alves looked nice for the match at least.

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2010, 11:21 PM
You are so ignorant and reveal how little you know about tennis with each post you make. Clearly this is one of the many matches you talk about but have never actually seen. There was that one horrendous call at deuce at the beginning of the third set and then there were two other horrendous calls at 4-5 when Serena was serving to stay in the match; hawk-eye showed they were clearly in.

There is no room for doubt whatsoever that those bad calls materially contributed to the outcome of the match.

I have seen it. There was one horrendous call and two or three standard bad calls which all players would regularly have to put up with before the introduction of Hawkeye. Again, if you seriously think Serena would've won that match without that one horrendous call then you're living in lala land. Do you similarly think the horrendous call that Venus benefitted from in the Wimbledon 05 final changed the outcome of that match?

twight6
Jul 5th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I have seen it. There was one horrendous call and two or three standard bad calls which all players would regularly have to put up with before the introduction of Hawkeye. Again, if you seriously think Serena would've won that match without that one horrendous call then you're living in lala land. Do you similarly think the horrendous call that Venus benefitted from in the Wimbledon 05 final changed the outcome of that match?

So are you saying that Capriati was 100%, for sure going to win the match when those calls were made? Because, if not, then your agrument is completely baseless, because the calls took points away from Serena, and gave them to Jennifer. Regardless of the situation, that isn't fair or right, and will definitely impact the outcome of the match (if only by those few points).

Now, in this situation, you have Serena have several calls go against her, ALL at crucial points in the match.. So, not only are huge points taken from Serena and given to Jennifer, but you're also making Serena-- who, let's be honest, has some temper issues at times-- overcome several bad calls, remain calm, and continue to play with this woman in the chair who has made several mistakes already.

The way you're posting, you're saying that Serena had no chance in this match, and the calls made absolutely no difference. Sorry, but those calls made a difference, and bad calls will ALWAYS make a difference, because they sure as hell did not help Serena.

As for the Venus/Davenport final, that call hurt Lindsay as well. How much did it hurt Lindsay? Not as much as Serena, because 1) it was at a different point in the match and 2) Serena's were more than one call that were definitely worse than the call in Lindsay's match.

If you want to hate Serena, fine, do it. But YOU'RE the one in lala land if you don't think that those calls affected that match. Am I saying Serena would've, for sure, won without the calls? Absolutely not. But the calls sure as hell did not help her chances, and they helped Jennifer's.

Pureracket
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have seen it. There was one horrendous call and two or three standard bad calls which all players would regularly have to put up with before the introduction of Hawkeye. Again, if you seriously think Serena would've won that match without that one horrendous call then you're living in lala land. Do you similarly think the horrendous call that Venus benefitted from in the Wimbledon 05 final changed the outcome of that match?You're a misinformed poster regarding this issue.

dsanders06
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
So are you saying that Capriati was 100%, for sure going to win the match when those calls were made? Because, if not, then your agrument is completely baseless, because the calls took points away from Serena, and gave them to Jennifer. Regardless of the situation, that isn't fair or right, and will definitely impact the outcome of the match (if only by those few points).

Now, in this situation, you have Serena have several calls go against her, ALL at crucial points in the match.. So, not only are huge points taken from Serena and given to Jennifer, but you're also making Serena-- who, let's be honest, has some temper issues at times-- overcome several bad calls, remain calm, and continue to play with this woman in the chair who has made several mistakes already.

The way you're posting, you're saying that Serena had no chance in this match, and the calls made absolutely no difference. Sorry, but those calls made a difference, and bad calls will ALWAYS make a difference, because they sure as hell did not help Serena.

As for the Venus/Davenport final, that call hurt Lindsay as well. How much did it hurt Lindsay? Not as much as Serena, because 1) it was at a different point in the match and 2) Serena's were more than one call that were definitely worse than the call in Lindsay's match.

If you want to hate Serena, fine, do it. But YOU'RE the one in lala land if you don't think that those calls affected that match. Am I saying Serena would've, for sure, won without the calls? Absolutely not. But the calls sure as hell did not help her chances, and they helped Jennifer's.

One call doesn't affect a match. End of.

LCS
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
This kept on going :spit:

My point was that despite those dreadful mistakes she managed to still maitain a place amongst the best tennis umpires in the world - that has to mean something.

Now Portugal may not have good players but we do have great tennis umpires. (see Carlos Ramos and Jorge Dias, before Mariana)

Human Nature
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:30 PM
One call doesn't affect a match. End of.

It wasnt ONE call , but FIVE ...

Clearly you didnt see the match . Back then you were not even interested in tennis , i remember you said that in another post months ago .

serenus_2k8
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM
This kept on going :spit:

My point was that despite those dreadful mistakes she managed to still maitain a place amongst the best tennis umpires in the world - that has to mean something.

Now Portugal may not have good players but we do have great tennis umpires. (see Carlos Ramos and Jorge Dias, before Mariana)

:lol: The final must have been as exciting in Portugal as the states. Do you and your family sit and applaud great over rules rather than shots? :rolls:

twight6
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Clearly you didnt see the match . Back then you were not even interested in tennis , i remember you said that in another post months ago .

:spit: That's embarrassing, dsanders. Liar, tsk tsk.

Like I said, even one call, depending on who is involved, where it occurs in the match, etc, can still affect the outcome of a match. One point can mean a lot in tennis.

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM

There was one horrendous call in that match and two or three standard bad calls which EVERY player had to routinely put up with in the days before Hawkeye. So again, no, one horrendous call is not enough to apply an asterisk to a result.

And no I didn't follow tennis religiously back then, but I've seen all the bad calls from that match on YouTube.

Pureracket
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
There was one horrendous call in that match and two or three standard bad calls which EVERY player had to routinely put up with in the days before Hawkeye. So again, no, one horrendous call is not enough to apply an asterisk to a result.

And no I didn't follow tennis religiously back then, but I've seen all the bad calls from that match on YouTube.You actually have to lie in order to talk shit about Serena? Seriously?

soul
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Where are the old referees; they were best.There are some good ones in this new era but I dont know the referes in the past something different of them.Alves; she is not a good one.But she is the final:rolleyes:

twight6
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM

And no I didn't follow tennis religiously back then, but I've seen all the bad calls from that match on YouTube.

:spit: "Standard bad calls?" Linesmen were not THAT bad that they made multiple mistakes EVERY match :haha:. Just look at the hawkeye stats, players only make a few challenges every match and they are very often wrong (meaning the linesman made the correct call). Contrary to your beliefs, it was rare to have multiple bad calls in a match, and Serena had several that were obviously wrong.

But, okay, just for a second, let's say that you're right. Only one call was "horrendous," the rest were just "bad." So she had a couple bad calls, followed by a horrendous one, and then followed by a few more standard bad calls... You don't think that will affect the match??? Even someone more level-headed than Serena is going to get pissed off and let it affect their game. That's still several calls that went against Serena, points that were given directly to Jennifer, and still at big points in the match.

You should just stop arguing now :lol: You're looking more and more ridiculous

LCS
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
:lol: The final must have been as exciting in Portugal as the states. Do you and your family sit and applaud great over rules rather than shots? :rolls:

Your ability to miss the point is remarkable.:rolleyes:

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
:spit: "Standard bad calls?" Linesmen were not THAT bad that they made multiple mistakes EVERY match :haha:. Just look at the hawkeye stats, players only make a few challenges every match and they are very often wrong (meaning the linesman made the correct call). Contrary to your beliefs, it was rare to have multiple bad calls in a match, and Serena had several that were obviously wrong.

Are you being serious? You really think most matches have no erroneous calls whatsoever? If you do then you're more deluded than I thought.

I'm not sure I saw a single match during Wimbledon where Hawkeye didn't overturn a call. It overturned FOUR in Sharapova's third-round match against Strycova, but you don't see Maria fans whinging about a vendetta from the tennis establishment.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Are you being serious? You really think most matches have no erroneous calls whatsoever? If you do then you're more deluded than I thought.

I'm not sure I saw a single match during Wimbledon where Hawkeye didn't overturn a call. It overturned FOUR in Sharapova's third-round match against Strycova, but you don't see Maria fans whinging about a vendetta from the tennis establishment.
Maria fans should be rejoicing because Serena the savior of the WTA paid the cost in that match, and because of her all transgressions against Maria can now be forgiven. Praise Serena!

ellyhuang
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I still believe it's all about racism. See how pissed Martina showed on her face when Serena won Wimby, then you can realize the racism always exists in U.S., or I should say on this earth, forever and ever. Still don't you forget GOD will always distribute his wise punishment in some unexpected ways: (1) Jennifer C. lost unbelieveably and immediately after this historical QF. I still remember that face Jen showed when she returned the weak serves of Demetieva. So hopeless and epic! (2) Who can tell me where is Jennifer now? I dare not to say. May God bless her. (3) As for Hennin, i still doubt why she will get some mysterious disease during maybe 05? or 06? i forgot.
See! God will always find ways to justify "JUSTICE!" BTW, I always believe, as well, it must be some agreement behind the closed door. Otherwise, there's no possibility why Alves still got a job after this admitted incident. Someone must be really big! Just guess! Don't blame me if say some truth you people can't say it out. I always believe in retribution. I await ALVES' all the time, patiently and confidently.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I still believe it's all about racism. See how pissed Martina showed on her face when Serena won Wimby, then you can realize the racism always exists in U.S., or I should say on this earth, forever and ever. Still don't you forget GOD will always distribute his wise punishment in some unexpected ways: (1) Jennifer C. lost unbelieveably and immediately after this historical QF. I still remember that face Jen showed when she returned the weak serves of Demetieva. So hopeless and epic! (2) Who can tell me where is Jennifer now? I dare not to say. May God bless her. (3) As for Hennin, i still doubt why she will get some mysterial disease during maybe 05? or 06? i forgot.
See God will always find ways to justify "JUSTICE!" BTW, I always believe, as well, it must be some agreement behind the closed door. Otherwise, there's no possibility why Alves still got a job after this admitted incident. Someone must be really big! Just guess! Don't blame me if say some truth you people can't say it out. I always believe in retribution. I await ALVES' all the time, patiently and confidently.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2zzj0qe.jpg

twight6
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I still believe it's all about racism. See how pissed Martina showed on her face when Serena won Wimby, then you can realize the racism always exists in U.S., or I should say on this earth, forever and ever. Still don't you forget GOD will always distribute his wise punishment in some unexpected ways: (1) Jennifer C. lost unbelieveably and immediately after this historical QF. I still remember that face Jen showed when she returned the weak serves of Demetieva. So hopeless and epic! (2) Who can tell me where is Jennifer now? I dare not to say. May God bless her. (3) As for Hennin, i still doubt why she will get some mysterial disease during maybe 05? or 06? i forgot.
See! God will always find ways to justify "JUSTICE!" BTW, I always believe, as well, it must be some agreement behind the closed door. Otherwise, there's no possibility why Alves still got a job after this admitted incident. Someone must be really big! Just guess! Don't blame me if say some truth you people can't say it out. I always believe in retribution. I await ALVES' all the time, patiently and confidently.

Oh my God (pardon the pun), I laughed so hard I cried :sobbing: :rolls:

twight6
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM

I didn't say they have no bad calls. :shrug: Every match has a few.. But there's a big difference between the calls in Sharapova's match that got overturned, and the ones in Serena's match. The ones in Sharapova's match (and the majority of wrong calls) are so close that they could really go either way, and pre-shot spot the players didn't really know for sure whether they were even in or not.

But in Serena/Jen's match, and in Lindsay/Venus's match, the players knew that those calls were wrong, and those are the kind of calls that affect the outcome of a match.

Joe.
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I think shes really cute. :awww:

KimandJu
Jul 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM

If there is a God, he will shut you up quickly... :rolleyes:

Are there also fairies, trolls and goblins in your magical little world?

I've read a lot of nonsense on this forum but nothing quite like this. :tape:

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I didn't say they have no bad calls. :shrug: Every match has a few.. But there's a big difference between the calls in Sharapova's match that got overturned, and the ones in Serena's match. The ones in Sharapova's match (and the majority of wrong calls) are so close that they could really go either way, and pre-shot spot the players didn't really know for sure whether they were even in or not.

But in Serena/Jen's match, and in Lindsay/Venus's match, the players knew that those calls were wrong, and those are the kind of calls that affect the outcome of a match.

There was one horrendous call in both the Serena-Capriati match and the Davenport-Venus match. But the rest of the calls in both matches were standard bad calls, of the type that were in the Maria-Strycova match and all matches.

ellyhuang
Jul 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Tell me which point is wrong? I just mentioned several coincidences and also facts. So people in your magical BIG world always shup up mouths which say things you can't agree? See! It's racism. Yes, Master. I am a slave, but not yours! Pathetic! Can you say it out loud that your JUJU didn't raise her hand in 03 FO? Relax! I am not a regular visitor here. Curse me whenever you want. Maybe I will stop by some years later. BYE!!!!!!

KimandJu
Jul 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Tell me which point is wrong? I just mentioned several coincidences and also facts. So people in your magical BIG world always shup up mouths which say things you can't agree? See! It's racism. Yes, Master. I am a slave, but not yours! Pathetic! Can you say it out loud that your JUJU didn't raise her hand in 03 FO? Relax! I am not a regular visitor here. Curse me whenever you want. Maybe I will stop by some years later. BYE!!!!!!

It's not racism because I don't even know your race... :help:

I think you should be in an asylum somewhere or become a stand up comedian. :lol:

Hashim.
Jul 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM

:haha:

Bruno71
Jul 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Is it too late for a last-minute WC into TWAT for ellyhuang?

Vaidisova Ruled
Jul 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Is it too late for a last-minute WC into TWAT for ellyhuang?
Amen and Justice For All

Sammy Stones
Jul 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM

http://my.opera.com/community/graphics/smilies/troll.gif

LCS
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Will you harm her? :confused:

I say TWAT winner in the making. Please dump some scrub and get this one in!:lol:

BlameSerena
Jul 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Mariana just better be glad she got her eyes fixed and that there's a challenge system now in place. Since everyone deserves a second chance and Serena won, I'm just meh about it. Obviously tptb thought the best way to unhinge Serena and give Vera a chance was to trot Mariana out there.