PDA

View Full Version : Kim's first year after the comeback: what are your thoughts?

roelc
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I suppose her next tournament is Cincy, and that's where she started last year. So it's been a full year then. Time for a round-up.
Did you expect her to do better/worse? Or is this pretty much what you had in mind?

Ranking: WTA-7
Titles: 3, US Open (Grand Slam), Brisbane (International), Miami (Premier Mandatory)
Tournaments played: 11
Grand Slam results: USO-W, AO-R3, RG-DNP, WI-QF
Matches Win-Loss: 35-8
Top-10 Win-Loss: 7-2
"Big 3" Win-Loss (Serena, Venus, Justine) : 6-0, Serena(1), Venus(2), Justine(3)
Lost to: safina(WTA-1), jankovic(WTA-4), schnyder(WTA-47), petrova(WTA-19), kleybanova(WTA-27), garcia vidagany(WTA-258), azarenka(WTA-15), zvonareva(WTA-21)

*had to skip the gravel season (except Marbella) due to foot-injury

So what do you think? I expected her to be top-4 at least, and it's strange to see her lose against players she used to eat for breakfast. She kind of lost her consistency but racked it up with some nice wins (US Open & Miami, and a great record against her main rivals)

Myskinacomeback
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM
i think shes preggers again

danieln1
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Didnīt think she would win the US Open that fast...

I expected worse, maybe a important title and top 10, but winning the open made her comeback successful

toby345
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Unnecessary question. She won a GS.

roelc
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:16 PM

ok, but she didn't win 4

timafi
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:19 PM
well she won a major right out of retirement:shrug:

she didn't show up in Australia when played Petrova for some reason:help:

missed Roland Garros due to injury and who knows how she might have fared in Paris:shrug:

she had a major major brain fart against Zvonareva a few days ago:help::o and could have made the finals and maybe;just maybe pushed Williams more that that shitfest we had:shrug:

so it's 50-50 for me:)

AdeyC
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
She won a Slam - stupid question

toby345
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
ok, but she didn't win 4

:unsure:

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
She has had a very successful comeback. JH on the other hand ...

homogenius
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
The USo title alone makes this comeback worthy but all the conditions were there : she was fresh, had absolutely no pressure and played on her best surface.
She has more pressure this year and struggles to find some consistency but all in all it's a good comeback.

toby345
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
She has had a very successful comeback. JH on the other hand ...

Just because she hasn't won a slam yet, doesn't mean she didn't have a successful comeback.
AO final, 2 titles. I would want that. :shrug:

roelc
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
She won a Slam - stupid question

ok, of course her comeback is successful, (i ve changed the title), but i actually thought it would be better, especially after that us open title. i still dont get what happened in australia, that was just :help:

narutos
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Just because she hasn't won a slam yet, doesn't mean she didn't have a successful comeback.

It was good at the beginning but now it's getting worse losing at Majors against Stosur and Clijsters is :help: she used to own Clijsters in Majors.

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM

By her standards Henin has had a very unsuccessful comeback. She came back to win slams, not winning small tourneys outside the slams or be a finalist.

toby345
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
It was good at the beginning but now it's getting worse losing at Majors against Stosur and Clijsters is :help: she used to own Clijsters in Majors.

Injuries and so. And it's not the end of the world if you lose against Stosur and Clijsters, both are big names.

young_gunner913
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:43 PM
She's had a fantastic comeback. But I dont see her winning another slam.

Martian Jeza
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Expected but she won a GS against the player I didn't want to at all but hey : I'm over it ! ;)

roelc
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM

then what do you say about kim (thread is about kim btw, not justine :rolleyes:, her first year isn't over just yet )? losing against petrova (and how!) and zvonareva... i think she was 9-0 against them...

Dawson.
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I expected her to be top 10 with no major titles but a bunch of smaller titles. So overall I'm very pleased.

I expected more from Henin though, especially after her first month in Australia.

narutos
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
then what do you say about kim (thread is about kim btw, not justine :rolleyes:, her first year isn't over just yet )? losing against petrova (and how!) and zvonareva... i think she was 9-0 against them...

Kim has won US defeating Serena and Venus her comeback is really successful for me she has 3 wins over Henin( I know Henin sucks atm but still she found a way to win I know she would have lost those matches back in 2005/2006) and 1 win at major she is doing pretty well.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM
She's achieved more than I thought she would this time last year, but she's achieved less than I thought she would've achieved by now last September after her USO win.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Luckily and good for Kimmy she pulled off the Open, otherwise this comeback wouldn't have been too hot.
Seems to be losing steam.

olivero
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
She won a SLAM and Miami. She's in TOP 10. I couldn't ask for more.

But I still hope she will be back to top 3 soon.

Roookie
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Impressive...won a Slam, Brisbane and Miami with the toughest draws: Serena, Justine and Venus.

roelc
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM
also I thought she'd have played like 16 tournaments, now she has only 11 (also due to missing the clay season, but she still wouldn't have 16) from which 3 are international tournaments!
I'd prefer she'd skip those MM and also WTT, and play some more Premier tournaments

pokey camp
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Impressive...won a Slam, Brisbane and Miami with the toughest draws: Serena, Justine and Venus.
Pretty much. The AO and Wimbledon lowlights are far outweighed by the highlights here. The USO win might have raised the expectations and so what followed may look disappointing. But if you went back in time to when she was planning her comeback and told her: You'll get another slam within the first year... I'm sure she'd be thrilled.

Though I am interested to see how she plays and the level of intensity she brings during the USO Series and particularly the USO.

calico_101
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:04 AM
She underachieved at the AO, that's for sure. But the rest of the time she's done good Don't forget she got injured before Wimby. The question is, where will she be after the Open and for how long more does she plan to play?

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
When she first returned, totally didn't expect she would win USO but since she won, I have slightly higher expectation for her but of course, she disappointed me (even I'm not a fan).:( But at least she also won Miami (the fifth slam).:shrug:

Tennisstar86
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM
She and Venus have had similar years.....Great stuff at times with some random noshow losses....

Randy H
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:13 AM
She had an injury setback in the spring, and she's juggling a limited playing schedule with raising a young child - To come back, win a slam, and be back in the top 10 is a huge success for her. But, I also think we should expect a little less consistency than she may have had before, because she isn't playing as often. If it means fewer injuries though, then I think she's making the right decision :)

.Andrew.
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Well, considering she has another Slam in hand, it's been a good comeback.

But she is lacking in the consistency that's she is so well known for. She has two other titles to her name (she played an awesome tournament in Miami) and has some fantastic wins in her comeback, but some losses not so much...

kiwialicat
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM
She doubled her number of slams. I'll consider that a success.

spartanfan
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Kim's true test will come at the US Open. I'm not too sure how Kim has done historically when it comes to defending titles, something tells me with a lot of expectations on her going into NY she's gonna flair out between the 4th/QTRS. Clijsters 1.0 seemed to choke in the slams, and I think that's what happened to here at the AO when people started expecting her to duplicate her success from the USO, and it didn't happen..I think her old demons are starting to reappear...

kiwifan
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM
She won a slam...that's all that matters.

Now if she can do it again...

Roookie
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:11 AM
She and Venus have had similar years.....Great stuff at times with some random noshow losses....

Kim won a Slam and Miami "the 5th Slam"...Venus won Dubai and Acapulco...sorry but there's no comparison, not to mention the caliber of the players the former had to beat.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM
If I am grading her performance, I would give her a B+. That is only because of the US Open and Miami titles. Those two major titles cover the fact that she has had some horrendous losses to players she should not be losing to.

viruzzz
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Great for Kim!!
A very good year, but I think she couldn't win the US open again.
I Think she wouldn't be in the top 10 for so much time.
Maybe in 2011/12 she could get better.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM
She's been back a year and won the USO and Miami.
Only Serena has been better than those results.
Her 2 slam losses were strange. But you take the lows if you also get the extreme high, which is winning her 2nd major with the toughest draw of that field

Volcana
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I certainly didn't expect her to win a slam, much less that soon. I had to vote 'expected worse'. To all those who really expected her to win the US Open two months after she returned, and those voted 'about what I expected', I'm impressed.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I'm in the minority but I expected better. I thought after she won the USO she'd at least reach the final at another slam between now and then, especially the AO which was a mess. She could've done better there.

She's had some pretty horrific losses. That terrible loss to a player outside the Top 200 certainly puts an ugly stain on things for me. But maybe I'm just thinking about her '010 rather than her whole comeback.

Volcana
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Clijsters is having the extended sports vacation to end all extended sports vacations.

She has the guy, she's having kids, and she came back and won a slam, lifting her out of 'one-slam wonder' landed. Sure she's injured, but that's just more time to work on kid #2. Th eonly player having more fun with a comeback is Kimiko Date (who's doing it for the sheer joy of the thing).

Steven.
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:06 AM
ok, but she didn't win 4

:bs:

also why are you guys commenting about her AO "appearance". She wasn't there remember? She said it herself.....

on a serious note, she did better than I expected. I didn't really see her winning a mandatory title in the first year of her comeback, let alone a slam. I'm also pretty surprised about her 3-0 H2H vs. Justine Henin in their second career. Her inconsistency isn't shocking to me however.

friendsita
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
she won a slam so... it's great

Betten
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I never expected her to win a GS so fast, or to have such a good record against the other top players (two things that troubled her in her first career).

But I also didn't expect to lose against some of the scrubs she'd beaten handily in her first career. I also miss some consistency in her performances, unlike in her first career (which might be because of her limited schedule).

skanky~skanketta
Jul 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Well, the highlights for me were her records against the big 3 as well and the USO and Miami. However, her performance at the Australian was complete shocking and her losses to players she really should not have lost to regardless of the surface. I must say that I expected better.

Uranus
Jul 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I actually expected more consistency, as it was one of her forces.

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I expected her to do better at Wimbledon (she had a fantastic draw after Justine :( ) and the AO ( the loss to Nadia was :help: )

I really hope she wins the US Open now, because then her year will be disappointing (well to me)... but I do expect her to have a bad loss there too :(

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Mixed bag. Very, very dissapointing result at the AO. She has big potential to win it, especially after it came on the eve of one of her best performances post-comeback in Brisbane. Assuming her injury wasn't that bad as the conspiracy theory goes, skipping RG was a bad decision imo. She probably thought Justine will run away with it. It will be interesting to see what she does next year. She's probably more competitive on clay than on grass, not because she plays much better on the surface (arguably she does play better), but because there's no Serena/serve/grass combo.

Wimbledon was OK and bodes fairly well for her for the rest of the season. Contrary to popular opinion, she didn't play that badly against Zvonareva. She was playing outside the limits of her game by flattening too much and going too early for the kill, on top of the intrinsic limitations of her game on the surface.

azinna
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I had expected her entire first year back to be much like her post-US Open results: the ups and downs typical of a year spent re-laying the foundation for a more successful season to come. So I was imagining a slightly abridged Capriati comeback rather than a Seles-like return. But lowered expectations were key in her previous peak season ('05) and the pressure dynamics of exceeding expectations -- with top players anxious about beating her -- suited her well last summer.

Now the pressure's working quite differently and Kim doesn't seem to have changed that much, both in her response to pressure and to injuries. Add that to a family focus and fans have to seriously worry about her pulling another 2006....

TennisFan66
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Yet 19 people (20%) of the poll expected Kim to do better :rolleyes: .. Riiiiiight.

Cp6uja
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
No matter what official WTA ranking says, in terms of results and achievements in last 12 months Kim Clijsters is 2nd best player on tour (best after Serena) winning one slam and one premiere mandatory event. Serena is by far #1, and close to Clijsters at #2 is only Schiavone for winning slam and FED Cup title in last 12 months. Any other player is not even close to Kim because if we not count Serena and Kim, in last 12 months all GS finalists, YEC and Premiere Mandatory champions are different players!

I expect great results from Kim after comeback, but not that good to be #2 in achievements in first 12 months after she is back :shrug:

Good job Kim :yeah:

Navratil
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Some of her losses must hurt: The almost double-bagle against Petrova at the Australian-Open and the loss against Zvonareva at Wimbledon. What a great chance to reach the final. There was no way Zvonareva had beaten an in-form Clijsters but Clijsters just made too many errors. Top 10 is great, she might be Top 5 prior the US-Open. That's ok, isn't it?

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM
The USo title alone makes this comeback worthy but all the conditions were there : she was fresh, had absolutely no pressure and played on her best surface.
She has more pressure this year and struggles to find some consistency but all in all it's a good comeback.

this

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Terrific comeback. She won a major. Enough said.

Lucemferre
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:42 PM
It's perfect. Stop being dramatic.If you said to Kim before her comeback that you will win a major and kick justine's ass so many times that she will be your new bitch,Kim would pay you $1m right there. She travels around with her family,plays the tournaments she wants toplay and win pretty big ones. Beating justine is the cherry on top. I'm sure she loves her comeback.

DefyingGravity
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
It's a great comeback but I don't expect her to get any higher than 5-8 playing as little as she is, which is a great choice for her body but a bad choice for developing momentum. Oh well. I still love her, and I have a good feeling about her and this hard court season.

Joe.
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Great. She won a slam and has picked up some really good wins.

mdterp01
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Pretty good for Kim. She won a major coming right back, but she picked a pretty good time to comeback during her best surface leading up to the Open. However, she is still inconsistent the way she was before she left the tour. Thats why I don't read into it when she is thrashing opponents 6-0, 6-1 during a tournament because she can turn around and then play terribly and lose. Now that she's been back a year and has to deal with the mental drain of the tour, we're going to really see how much of an impact she will have.

At this point though its better than Justine's comeback.

WTAtennisfan15
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Kim has alot of points to defend from now on, but i believe that she is a black horse this year! (In Us Open series!) Kim has so beautiful strokes from fore- and backhand sides!