PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Dulgheru's Warsaw defence one of the best things to happen on tour in '010?

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I certainly think so. A win of her nature being repeated is a rare thing. When she won Warsaw as a qualifier in '09, everyone laughed and thought it was a complete fluke (which it was at the time), and then for a little while after winning Warsaw she struggled.

I thought she did very well to defend her title. :angel:

chuvack
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Nice, but not that important really.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Nice, but not that important really.
No no, take for example Dementieva who didn't successfully defend any titles until she's got well over 10 of them. To defend a maiden title when you're a relative newbie like Alex (in addition to being the most naturally gifted player) is very impressive. :)

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM
:spit:

Running out of poll ideas?

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM

No, just singing the praises of a player's achievement in an era of fluke titlists. ;)

Hell, when was the last time a maiden title was successfully defended? A fair while I'm pretty sure.

BTW the Caro VS Ana poll is a very close one, it's compelling stuff. :angel: Battle of the heavyweight TF punching bags. ;)

Caralenko
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Definitely running out of ideas :yawn:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
No no, take for example Dementieva who didn't successfully defend any titles until she's got well over 10 of them. To defend a maiden title when you're a relative newbie like Alex (in addition to being the most naturally gifted player) is very impressive. :)

So Alex > Lena?:shrug:

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yes, it saved the tour. :bowdown:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
So Alex > Lena?:shrug:
At defending Maiden titles, yes. ;)

So Disrespectful
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Dulgheru wasn't fading into obscurity before she defended her title, as you said. She reached the semis of Barcelona and the 3rd rounds of both Rome and Madrid (with wins over Dementieva and Safina) leading up to her title defence. Since then she reached the semis of 's-Hertogenbosch on grass too. Even without her title, she falls comfortably within the top 50-100 bracket and I expect her to produce some strong results for the remainder of the year.

But yes, I agree that her Warsaw double was good for the tour.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I certainly think so. A win of her nature being repeated is a rare thing. When she won Warsaw as a qualifier in '09, everyone laughed and thought it was a complete fluke (which it was at the time), and then for the next 12 months until she defended Warsaw she could barely win a match and was looking on path to fade into obscurity.

I thought she did very well to defend her title. :angel:

I am afraid that is rather recreating history. Actually prior to winning Warsaw for the 2nd time Alex was 11-8 on the WTA in her previous 11 matches. She had defeated top tenners in both her previous tournaments in Rome and Madrid and in a poll done in this forum she was regarded as the most likely player to win Warsaw in 2010. But it was very clear already despite the ignorant proclamations of several posters that regardless of how she did in Warsaw this year she was here to stay. Frankly from the matches I saw of her during Warsaw 09 it was always very clear this was not a girl who was ever in danger of fading into obscurity.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I am afraid that is rather recreating history. Actually prior to winning Warsaw for the 2nd time Alex was 11-8 on the WTA in her previous 11 matches. She had defeated top tenners in both her previous tournaments in Rome and Madrid and in a poll done in this forum she was regarded as the most likely player to win Warsaw in 2010. But it was very clear already despite the ignorant proclamations of several posters that regardless of how she did in Warsaw this year she was here to stay. Frankly from the matches I saw of her during Warsaw 09 it was always very clear this was not a girl who was ever in danger of fading into obscurity.
OK I edited OP. ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:17 PM
OK I edited OP. ;)

Good edit. :yeah:

Sammy Stones
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM

no, this is a good topic. this situation proves that some of these "unknowns" that come out of "nowhere" to win big tournaments - thus "ruining the wta" - are actually good players and win for a reason. of course, some are fluky, but quite a lot of them haven't brainfarted into obscurity. they may just take longer to solidify a big win (didn't sharapova win her second slam 2 years after wimbledon?).

viele
Jul 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Wow we are wayyyy over inflating the "importance" of this win, aren't we:eek: