PDA

View Full Version : Who is greater? Billie Jean King or Serena Williams?

1jackson2001
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Concerning on court tennis accomplishments only (ie not including charity, influence on tour, etc).

1jackson2001
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:27 AM
For me, Billie Jean is still ahead. She has one less slam than Serena, but has a boatload of other titles. Serena will need one more slam to be ahead, imo.

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM
BJK.

What she did for WTA is immeasurable.

Original founder of WTA.
Fought for equal pay
Founder of World Team Tennis
Mentor of many upcomming players of her time, including Martina Nav, Chris Evert
Just imagine if she did not have all these responsabilities, what could have been....

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Billie Jean King has 39 Grand Slam titles. 12 singles, 16 doubles, 11 mixed doubles titles.
Serena Williams has 26 Grand Slam titles. 13 singles, 12 doubles, 2 mixed doubles titles.

1jackson2001
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
BJK.

What she did for WTA is immeasurable.

Original founder of WTA.
Fought for equal pay
Founder of World Team Tennis
Mentor of many upcomming players of her time, including Martina Nav, Chris EvertJust imagine if she did not have all these responsabilities, what could have been....
It's great for Billie Jean, and she would be the GOAT if you include all that. But please read my first post. I said on court accomplishments, and excluding influence on tennis. I'm just wanting to get a view of people's thoughts and how much weight they give to slam titles (singles) versus tons of tour titles/other accomplishments.

Billie Jean King has 39 Grand Slam titles. 12 singles, 16 doubles, 11 mixed doubles titles.
Serena Williams has 26 Grand Slam titles. 13 singles, 12 doubles, 2 mixed doubles titles.
Yes I'm well aware of their accomplishments in doubles and mixed doubles as well, but they are peanuts to me (as tie-breakers) since you have a partner on court. Singles is one woman versus another woman across the net, doing everything, and thinking for themselves.

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
It's great for Billie Jean, and she would be the GOAT if you include all that. But please read my first post. I said on court accomplishments, and excluding influence on tennis. I'm just wanting to get a view of people's thoughts and how much weight they give to slam titles (singles) versus tons of tour titles/other accomplishments.
I read your OP and the additional clarification post, but I just could not do it.
These accomplishments, directly related to tennis had profund impact on today's tennis.

She also beat Bobby Riggs in the battles of the sexes when women tennis was not taken sersiously, especially after Court lost earlier to another man.

BJK felt she had to win this in order to put women tennis back under serious consideration again. Even at the time a young Chris Evert had no doubt that BJK will lose.
The way Chris explained it, at that time all she knew about women movement was they burn bras on TV.

Volcana
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Concerning on court tennis accomplishments only (ie not including charity, influence on tour, etc).I would say King is greater. King would (and has) said Serena is greater.

Put differently, King is a foundational player. Books on the history of the sport can't be written without including her, precisely because of the 39 slams, with large numbers across all three disciplines. Serena's not quite there yet, om her own. She'd be in such a book, because 'The Williams Sisters' has been a decade long phenomena. To be clearly ahead of BJK, Serena also going to have to get to where people say, 'Serena had an older sister who could play a little ....'

Volcana
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:01 AM
.... thinking for themselves.More than one supposedly elite player has a coach do her thinking for her.

serenafann
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
They are both Great.

1jackson2001
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:11 AM
More than one supposedly elite player has a coach do her thinking for her.
Exactly, and it's a travesty really.

spartanfan
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I think it's a bad comparison really, I do not think BJK had the same level of competition that Serena has faced. And back when BJK played in the slams were the draws 128 players too?