PDA

View Full Version : Pliskova twins?

clonesheep
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:21 AM
So no one talks about the Pliskova twins. Kristyna just won Wimbledon juniors title. Her sister Karolina was Australian Open juniors champion. If anyone has seen them play, how are their styles and potential?

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3883/twins1s.jpg

iGOAT
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Their tattoos hopefully are not an indication of the beauty of their games :tape:.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:29 AM
i just noticed they were twins yesterday (slow me). ive watched kristyna play at wimby and she looks like most junior players-nice shots but kinda lazy, why is it they dont run for balls that are a couple of metres out of reach from standing position, they could get there but they cant be arsed. i get annoyed watching juniors so i didnt watch the finals, to make it on the main tour they seemingly just need a better attitude

but hey wtf do i know

clonesheep
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:51 AM
i just noticed they were twins yesterday (slow me). ive watched kristyna play at wimby and she looks like most junior players-nice shots but kinda lazy, why is it they dont run for balls that are a couple of metres out of reach from standing position, they could get there but they cant be arsed. i get annoyed watching juniors so i didnt watch the finals, to make it on the main tour they seemingly just need a better attitude

but hey wtf do i know

That's what you expect from juniors. Wozniacki and Azarenka weren't too impressive when they were juniors (even after they won a couple of junior slams), but they did grow.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:57 AM
That's what you expect from juniors. Wozniacki and Azarenka weren't too impressive when they were juniors (even after they won a couple of junior slams), but they did grow.

yeah dont get me wrong, i expect them to grow into good players but i find it hard to judge juniors from tv coverage. a lot of them have great shot making ability but they dont seem that bothered, i think you have to be there in person to see if they really care. if they do, and theyve got the shots, top 10 in the womens game no faff.

i saw pavlyuchenkova defend her aussie junior crown and i 1) didnt understand why she was and 2) didnt see no passion, she was better than that, much like robson this yr. i understand how it is hard for young players but robson should be in seniors now end of

NoChokes
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Yeah, but on 12 events a year like Robson is allowed at the moment, she needs to get some competitive practice somewhere.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I think some of the age restrictions are a little harsh, a 15 tournament limit would be better for Robson's age.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah, but on 12 events a year like Robson is allowed at the moment, she needs to get some competitive practice somewhere.

i understand that but i also understand why she probably isnt that bothered about by juniors, shes pushing good players, im sure she isnt that bothered about winning playing the junior wimby final again. shes above that, its a tricky position for her, 16 and above juniors but average at ITF level, tough. i hope she sticks at the ITFs personally

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I agree I think she should just play ITFs, I see no point in juniors for a player like Robson.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I agree I think she should just play ITFs, I see no point in juniors for a player like Robson.

she looks like she isnt bothered and i know people will have a go at her for that but shes won it bofore, she should be solely concentrating on the main tour, shes such a good shotmaker. im worried she will become another hantuchova-great shotmaker but cant read the game for shit

dusan993
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I think they are both great players, they have very good serve, nice baseline shots, volleys, but they must improve their foot work. I'm following their result for a long time and for now future is promissing. They have some great wins over Kanepi, Molik, Groth...I hope I will soon watch them playing big tournaments :)

Rui.
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
those 12 tournaments don't include the slams nor the premier mandatories (unless she was given a wc), i think...

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM
In short, they're both tall, very aggressive with fluid and effortless strokes with have great hands and timing. They both serve extremely well and their service motions are flawless. Weaknesses are that they are shockingly slow, lack intensity and have poor shot selection, but both have definitely improved at that.

I don't even think they will be that good, and winning a Junior slam at 18 doesn't mean much, but they both have really attractive games IMO so whatever.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
In short, they're both tall, very aggressive with fluid and effortless strokes with have great hands and timing. They both serve extremely well and their service motions are flawless. Weaknesses are that they are shockingly slow, lack intensity and have poor shot selection, but both have definitely improved at that.

I don't even think they will be that good, and winning a Junior slam at 18 doesn't mean much, but they both have really attractive games IMO so whatever.

big diff is that they didnt play juniors really, (they had stopped) until just this yr and played slams, and both are around 200 mark. Plus players are peaking later and later, so thats good news.

clonesheep
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Winning a junior slam at 18 isn't bad at all. The games have become more physical, harder for youngsters to win. In fact, most of recent hypes of 15-year or 16-year "stars" have failed to materialize. Think Michelle de Brito or even Laura Robson.

Sammo
Jul 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Karolina defeated Alicia Molik aged 15

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
big diff is that they didnt play juniors really, (they had stopped) until just this yr and played slams, and both are around 200 mark. Plus players are peaking later and later, so thats good news.
Yeah, definitely. They've been smart and built up their ranks rather than just wasting their careers away in juniors. They have been pretty inconsistent though, so I think the next 18 months will really show us how far they can go.

KBdoubleu
Jul 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
As others in the thread have said - both of the Pliskovas have good ground strokes and serves, but are pretty slow. Karolina is a righty, Kristyna is a lefty. You can watch highlights of Kristyna's Wimbledon victory on the Wimbledon site, which she wins with a big lefty serve out wide on the ad court. From what I know - Karolina has had better results in the past (quarters of just her third tour event when she was just 15, beating Kanepi and Molik before losing to Azarenka). However, Kristyna has been on a big upswing lately (beating Groth earlier this year), and has nearly caught her sister in the rankings and beat her in the final of a 50 K in Japan in May (and of course just won Wimbledon juniors and the warm up in Roehampton). It should be interesting to see how their careers develop over the next 12 months or so.

LCS
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Great. We need new sisters once the Williamses retire :awww:

clonesheep
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Great. We need new sisters once the Williamses retire :awww:

We already have a couple of new sisters - the Radwanskas and Bondarenkos. They however have not generated the excitement that the Williams sisters have.

DualMedia
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
where is laura Robson when we need her? we need a slut call!