PDA

View Full Version : Best Slam Match Ever and Best Slam Match of 2010

Temperenka
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Wimbledon lacked quality matches. There is no denying that. I got a bit nostalgic and went back to watch highlights of matches from years ago and I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best match played at a slam ever, and then what the best slam match of this year was.

For me, the best slam match ever (I started watching tennis in the early 2000's) was the US Open 2003 Semifinal Capriati vs. Henin :drool:

As for 2010- I think the best slam matches have been
AO: Serena def. Azarenka ( :sad: ) and Serena def. Justine
FO: Stosur def. Serena or Henin def. Sharapova
Wimbledon: Honestly, I don't think there were any high quality matches.

Opinions? :)

Wimbledon9
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
I think Petra Kvitova did a better job against Serena then Zvonereva

dsanders06
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
The AO was great. Henin-Dementieva, Henin-Wickmayer and Serena-Azarenka were all really good, and the final was decent. It's all gone SO downhill since then though... Henin-Sharapova at the FO is the only good match at both the last two Slams that I can think of.

Coke Zero
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
AO 2002 F: Capriati def Hingis
AO 2001 QF: Hingis def S. Williams

All the 2010 matches combined have nothing on classics like those.

JJ all the way
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
AO 2002 F: Capriati def Hingis
AO 2001 QF: Hingis def S. Williams

All the 2010 matches combined have nothing on classics like those.

I really liked 2001 AO QF - that was a fun match.
1999/2000 USO SF were also good.

I think the best would be 2005 WImbledon F.

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
At the respective slams in the 00s i'd say:

Australian:
Capriati vs. Hingis 2002 Australian Final
S. Williams vs Sharapova 2005 Australian SF
S. Williams vs Hingis 2001 Australian
V. Williams vs Davenport 2005 Wimbledon
Davenport vs Sharapova 2004 Wimbledon was really good IIRC
V. Williams vs Hingis 2000 US Open

Sammy Stones
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Wimbledon lacked quality matches. There is no denying that. I got a bit nostalgic and went back to watch highlights of matches from years ago and I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best match played at a slam ever, and then what the best slam match of this year was.

For me, the best slam match ever (I started watching tennis in the early 2000's) was the US Open 2003 Semifinal Capriati vs. Henin :drool:

this one seems to be overlooked a lot. it really was a good match. AO final 2002 is already a classic.

this year, RG QF sam vs serena was pretty good, especially the last set.

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
:lol:

Justine faking cramps in the USO 03 SF. :happy:

Sammy Stones
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM

I'm glad I could make something not funny completely hilarious.

your brain is cramping. that was a very humid night in flushing meadows. I don't know why you'd think she was faking.

Aaron.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Serena v Sharapova 05 Australian Semi

Allez-H
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM

I still don't understand why one would fake cramps, only to not take a medical time-out and keep playing, be put up on a baxter in the middle of night when you have a final to play less then 24 hours later ...

Temperenka
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
At the respective slams in the 00s i'd say:

Australian:
Capriati vs. Hingis 2002 Australian Final
S. Williams vs Sharapova 2005 Australian SF
S. Williams vs Hingis 2001 Australian
V. Williams vs Davenport 2005 Wimbledon
Davenport vs Sharapova 2004 Wimbledon was really good IIRC
V. Williams vs Hingis 2000 US Open

These three are in my top 5. :yeah:

I just keep waiting for high quality, high drama matches... but they never happen. I've always looked forward to slams because of great matches like those listed but the last few years have absolutely killed some of my passion in watching tennis.

Serena needs competition... and I need to stop being so damn nostalgic :( :lol:

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I'm glad I could make something not funny completely hilarious.

your brain is cramping. that was a very humid night in flushing meadows. I don't know why you'd think she was faking.
Serena was shit and made errors every time she had a big chance, and Stosur wasn't anywhere near her level of the first set. There were a few good points at the end of the final set but it wasn't that good really.
I still don't understand why one would fake cramps, only to not take a medical time-out and keep playing, be put up on a baxter in the middle of night when you have a final to play less then 24 hours later ...
To break up rhythm? :shrug: I don't even remember the specifics of when the supposed cramp happened or whatever, but I knew from that point onwards that Henin had it in the bag.

These three are in my top 5. :yeah:

I just keep waiting for high quality, high drama matches... but they never happen. I've always looked forward to slams because of great matches like those listed but the last few years have absolutely killed some of my passion in watching tennis.

Serena needs competition... and I need to stop being so damn nostalgic :( :lol:
Yeah. I'm pretty much exactly the same. :hysteric: The top players need to start playing well again and consistently and there needs to be some talented young players challenging the top guns from now. It's sad because the quality of the top player of right now is massive. I still think that Serena would be winning a lot of slams, but she would be forced to play at her very best. I still have hope though, but maybe i'm just foolish.

$uricate
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Too many to choose from pre-2010

Venus vs Davenport Wimbledon F 2005
Venus vs Sharapova Wimbledon SF 2005 (for the drama)
Dokic vs Martinez Roland Garros R2 2002 (for the guts)
Henin vs Capriati US Open SF 2003
Myskina vs Jankovic Wimbledon R3 2005
Serena vs Henin Roland Garros SF 2003
Serena vs Mauresmo Wimbledon SF 2004

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:10 AM
This year so far: Serena/Vika.
Ever: Serena/Maria Wimb 04 and AO 05.

In my opinion.

ptkten
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:21 AM
The best slam match I ever saw was the Henin/Capriati 2003 semi. I didn't even care who won and I was so into it so that tells you how good it must have been. Close to this are the Hingis/Serena quarter in Australia, the Venus/Davenport Wimbledon final in '05, and I really enjoyed the Venus/Hingis semi in 2000 at the US Open.

This year, I guess Serena-Azarenka QF was the most entertaining. No truly great matches this year though.