PDA

View Full Version : I cant help but think that..........(serving)

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
WTA players biggest emphasis of improvement will be on SERVING now. A lot of talk about Serena's success this year at Wimbledon had to do with her serve and older players endorsing her as the greatest server in history, I'm sure we are going to see a lot of players work on improving their serve. Back when Venus and Serena were #1 and #2 and dominated earlier, they were known for raising the game for "power hitting". Then we saw a lot of people playin with more power...such as the Belgiums, Russians, and many others. Anyway...I predict players will start working on having a consistent, versitale, and a serve with more power.....I thikn that was one of Henin's biggest area's she wanted to improve on once she returned.

twight6
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Agreed. And with Stosur's serve, too, a lot of players saw what that could do at the French Open. This could cause a sort of shift from focus on ground strokes to serves, and maybe back to some serve and volleying??? :hearts:

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Serve, serve..that's the name of the game.

bbjpa
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
I hope not :tape: , don't let the WTA become a body builders females competition :help:

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
With Serena and Stosur, that is the logical direction where the focus should be now.

Instead of these ractionary, regressive, futile that tries to hopeless stop the inevetibale.

Monical Selles changed tennis with powerful resturn of serve.

Venus and Serena changed tennis with powerful serve, all-court sustained aggression, pression filled matches, swinging volleys etc..

Serena just added another challenge by perfecting her serve with neutral toss, placement, flat or kick.
These development are good for women tennis.

It is the veteran generation(Kim, Henin. Sharapova, Davenport and Capriati) fault that the younger generation has not met the challenge yet.
But they will in time.

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
I hope not :tape: , don't let the WTA become a body builders females competition :help:
The train is leaving the station soon.
You better get on it, or you'll be left behind.

This same talk happen with Martina Nav, Monica Selles, and that did not stop the inevitable.

Bruno71
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Why wouldn't the serve already be the most worked-on? Serena's been serving like this for years, not to mention Venus, Lindsay, etc. If anything, I think outside of Serena & Venus, emphasis has fallen OFF the serve comparatively in recent years.

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Why wouldn't the serve already be the most worked-on? Serena's been serving like this for years, not to mention Venus, Lindsay, etc. If anything, I think outside of Serena & Venus, emphasis has fallen OFF the serve comparatively in recent years.
Maybe this Serena performance would bring emphasis back on the serve.

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Serena's just taking it to the next level. same toss for all her serves, can hit outwide at 90-something mph and then go down the T for 120+? That's just criminal!

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Its hard to serve very well. Its placement, not only pace.
And doing it well on key points.

I was watching an old Kafelnikov-Sampras FO SF, and Pete did not have good groundstrokes.
He is considered one of the best ever because of his serve

Mightymirza
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM

I was watching an old Kafelnikov-Sampras FO SF, and Pete did not have good groundstrokes.

:wavey: one of the best FHs and one of the best volleyer :wavey:

Anyways about serev, easier said than done :tape: :tape: I really hope future WTA players concentrate on serving well..

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
Good fh crosscourt, but not a good groundstroker. Kafelnikov ate him up the last 2 sets

Dodoboy.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
I think so, we won't see this impact until a few years though.

Serena-rules-no1
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Good fh crosscourt, but not a good groundstroker. Kafelnikov ate him up the last 2 sets

because Sampras wasnt a great mover on clay

Gdsimmons
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
If thats the case, MANY girls need a lot of work. Whats good about Serena's is that she throws it in the same position every time and can hit any part of the box. All the other girls, you can see where they wanna hit it in the box. Some throw it a little to the left, right or in front. They would really have to work at it and see what works for them.

Bruno71
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Maybe this Serena performance would bring emphasis back on the serve.

If it were one fairly recent Serena performance that would do that, I'd have guessed AO 07. There's always a chance.

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
They all work on their serve. They cant hit where they want under pressure.
The same thing with the rest of their games.
Petrova knows how to serve, but at *4-5, she cant get her 1st serve in, unless she plays it safe.

Serena y Monica
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM

So true. Serena Venus and Sam are not the only great servers on tour. Others may not have the same power but they have big girl serves...very good placment and power somewhere between 100-110mph. Truth is as much as we talk about The big 3...few have 1st serves that are attackable. We seem to 4get that all things are relative.

xan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
WTA is heading more like ATP. You're going to have to be able to hold serve reliably to survive.

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
Serena...the thing with her is: disguise, placement and power..criminal!

She can hit it ANYWHERE , she uses the SAME toss for ALL her serves and then she's the power.

That serve out-wide today? CRIMINAL!

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
If it were one fairly recent Serena performance that would do that, I'd have guessed AO 07. There's always a chance.
But Serena has taken to another notch after the RG loss.
And it has gotten both commentaors and players attention.

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM
WTA is heading more like ATP. You're going to have to be able to hold serve reliably to survive.
Being able to hold serve should not a monopoly of the ATP.
It is how tennis is supposed to be played.

I think all teaching pros make their pupils undestand that.

Amalgamate
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:41 AM
That's what is awesome about great champions. They force the rest of the crop to step up and work harder to improve every facet of their game. And :smash: to the person who said the wta tour would then just be a bunch of body builders.

Amalgamate
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:43 AM

Good. Better than serving 15+ DF's in a match.

Mightymirza
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:44 AM

It was clay :shrug: Sampras had a flat eastern FH.. Not effective against heavy balls on clay.. Watch him on hard courts or grass :hearts: That FH was a weapon!

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
i think its been obvious for years now the advantage a good serve would get you in the womens game

im not saying its exciting to watch hell no, but its smart, much like wozniacki relying on her opponents errors-its boring but smart. i imagine coaches around the world are showing their flames serena's serve but it will take a few yrs to come through

azinna
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I guess there could be more young female players modeling their serves after Sampras, or Serena, or even Sharapova, even Stosur....and that could produce of a crop of strong servers.

But Big Babe tennis has been a model for quite some time now, with the aggressive serve being a key component (Monica, Lindsay, Mary, Maria). So I wouldn't be surprised to discover many players just don't have the skill, talent, mental strength and intelligence to serve like Serena.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Yep...serve like Serena, is just once a generation thing..

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I am glad the debate is turning toward the future, rather the stuborn, defeatist, knee jerk reaction we have seen all week.

This is how progress is made.
Once in a while, a player or group of players come along and challenge others with a shot, or game plan.
Each time, the players have risen to tmeet he challenge.

Selles did it with her return, sharp angles, speed, flat hitting. Her peers met the challenge head on.
The WS did it with power, sustained aggression and pressure during both serve and ground strokes
Guess what? Their peers rose to the occasion to meet the challenge.

There is no better example than Henin, a slightly built woman, who decided she had to do someihtng if she is going to win against the likes of the WS, Davenport, Mary Pierce, Jennifer Carpiati, etc...

Recenlty, both Stosur and Serena have thrown another challenge to their peers by sharpening amd adding variety to their serve.
Again, here the challenge shall be met by other players by not only developing a return game against these 2, but more importantly, by improving their own serve.

They don't necessarily have to copy Serena or Stosur, just develop a reliable serve of their own that would help them hold easily.
This would ease the pressure brought about by Serena/Stosur reliable quick hold.

There is a false school of thought that says that being able to hold your serve is an ATP thing.
And somehow , Serena is forcing the WTA to develop an ATP-like game.
That is utterly false.
Holding serve is not and should not be the monopoly of the ATP.
All teaching pros stress to stutents that a player should hold their serve since it is the shot they control at the start of the point.

We must get away from the notion that seving well somehow bruises the ego and damages the self-esteem of the opponent, because she has no answer to the effective serve of Serena or Stosur

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Good. Better than serving 15+ DF's in a match.
Yeah.heading the right direction

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
You guys think people haven't been trying to perfect their serves before Serena? :spit:

The problem is it's way overcomplicated by players and coaches alike. Bartoli, Safina, Dementieva are prime examples of serves that are just too complicated. Venus' even is such a mess technically. What happened to the old 'chop the toes off, scratch your back, throw the ball up and hit'. Stosur and Serena are the only ones with above average serves and it's because they are simple. Azarenka and Wozniacki are tall enough that their serves should be weapons. I don't know if there's a lower standard in coaching these days but I can't believe how bad womens serving is. Keep it simple, that way less time to think about it, less things to fuck up and hopefully less double faults.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM
You guys think people haven't been trying to perfect their serves before Serena? :spit:

The problem is it's way overcomplicated by players and coaches alike. Bartoli, Safina, Dementieva are prime examples of serves that are just too complicated. Venus' even is such a mess technically. What happened to the old 'chop the toes off, scratch your back, throw the ball up and hit'. Stosur and Serena are the only ones with above average serves and it's because they are simple. Azarenka and Wozniacki are tall enough that their serves should be weapons. I don't know if there's a lower standard in coaching these days but I can't believe how bad womens serving is. Keep it simple, that way less time to think about it, less things to fuck up and hopefully less double faults.
Ana's used to be good too. :sad:

Maria's is coming back. :)

Baselinebasher
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Serena's serve is what every player should strive to achieve. It's a weapon on any surface. Stosur's serve is overrated. Rubbish outside of clay.

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:55 PM
^^ Agree. Stosur's serve is overrated in my opinion.

a) she doesn't mix it up enough, you should be sitting on that BH to the ad court every time.

b) she doesn't have enough options, whereas Serena has every serve in the book although I don't think her kick is as menacing as Stosur's.

c) off the clay, her favourite serve (the kick) is severely nullified.

Stosur needs to develop an effective sliding serve out wide on the deuce court. Her serve is still one of the best though but it can still become more effective.

njnetswill
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
The game might not become all about the serve, but I really hope the women's game finally does make the serve a much greater emphasis. Serena is in a class of her own not only because she serves well, but she also has the rest of the game to back it up. I think it's a big difference between the men and women right now, where all the top men, not just Karlovic and Isner, have effective serves that can win cheap points for them on a regular basis. If more of the women could do the same, the WTA would be much higher quality.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM
^^ Agree. Stosur's serve is overrated in my opinion.

a) she doesn't mix it up enough, you should be sitting on that BH to the ad court every time.

b) she doesn't have enough options, whereas Serena has every serve in the book although I don't think her kick is as menacing as Stosur's.

c) off the clay, her favourite serve (the kick) is severely nullified.

Stosur needs to develop an effective sliding serve out wide on the deuce court. Her serve is still one of the best though but it can still become more effective.

On clay for some odd reason Serena's kick serve isn't as effective as other surfaces. But on the other surfaces, she sometimes make players hit balls above their shoulders.

The Witch-king
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:17 PM
am i the only one who saw good effective serving from the many women other than Serena? Venus,Maria, justine, kim, kanepi, pironkova, kvitova, groth, petrova, robson, vesnina, shvedova, kleybanova, li na, even jaja... Prophets of doom can't see that the change has been made already.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM
am i the only one who saw good effective serving from the many women other than Serena? Venus,Maria, justine, kim, kanepi, pironkova, kvitova, groth, petrova, robson, vesnina, shvedova, kleybanova, li na, even jaja... Prophets of doom can't see that the change has been made already.Most of these other players are in and out with their serves.
Venus lost 2 and 3 to Pironkova. How can she can broken that often on grass?

What makes a great server is to keep the serve level up at key moments.
Serves break down the same way forehands break down. Nerves, and a quality opponent

The Witch-king
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Most of these other players are in and out with their serves.
Venus lost 2 and 3 to Pironkova. How can she can broken that often on grass?

it's called a bad serving day. Even Serena has had those. It's not like her serve was getting broken left and right through out the tournament.
What makes a great server is to keep the serve level up at key moments.
Serves break down the same way forehands break down. Nerves, and a quality opponent
so 1 out of 2 for venus :o

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hope so.

There seems to be quite a few good young servers. But it remains to be seen if any will be very good tennis players.

tennisvideos
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I really hope that womens tennis doesn't become a serve fest. I mean how boring to watch a match of single shot points ... takes me back to the days of Becker, Ivanisevic, Sampras etc. :rolleyes:

We can blame the administrators for allowing the manufacturers free reign with equipment. Thankfully there are stlll a lot of rallies on clay and hard court to keep the sport interesting.

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I hate seeing a serve win the point on sheer pace (Venus) but I like seeing a serve outwitting their opponent through placement (Serena) and spin (Stosur). Don't go throwing shoes at me here, but one way to prevent the tour becoming a serve fest (in terms of pace) is to raise the net. :hearts:

tennisvideos
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I hate seeing a serve win the point on sheer pace (Venus) but I like seeing a serve outwitting their opponent through placement (Serena) and spin (Stosur). Don't go throwing shoes at me here, but one way to prevent the tour becoming a serve fest (in terms of pace) is to raise the net. :hearts:

Yes but then you would destroy the game for those who like to slice the ball or even hit flat. You would have top-spin clones dominating play.

I think the ideal solution is to limit racket size and stringing power/spin.

Marty-Dom
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Good. I hope the abominations of matches where there are more breaks of serve than holds will become the relic of the past.

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:48 PM
True, but I think a higher net bringing more topspin could even reduce the amount of unforced errors in the WTA.

I'm trying to convince myself but deep down I know it's a dumb idea. :lol:

The Witch-king
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM

i'm sorry but how is adding topspin to a serve "outwitting" an opponent more so than pace? Success with Both come from technique and physical ability.

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
It's just the kind of tennis I like to see is all. If I'd wanted to see how much brute strength women had I'd watch body building or something.

FFS use da slice
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:24 AM
the next evolution of womens tennis should be service RETURN.... it still boggles my mind how far behind the baseline the men play and how women dont do this regularly...

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:34 AM
the next evolution of womens tennis should be service RETURN.... it still boggles my mind how far behind the baseline the men play and how women dont do this regularly...
I totally agree with you, as I posted this very point earlier.

This is where the debate should focuss, rather these juveniles knee-jerky reaction lamenting how good serve would ruin the WTA, the WTA becoming ATP, or if Serena continues to serve like that, she should join the ATP, or it is not fair to the women because due to Serena toss disguise, it is difficult for them to guess where she is going to serve, therefore unfair to them and their self-esteem, and on and on...

In addition to developing effectiveness on return of serve, they should also follow Serena's lead and add variety to the delivery of the serve.

As more adult joined the debate, the discussion will become richer, gradually getting away from the earlier gloom and doom and call for Serena's outster from the WTA.

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM
It's just the kind of tennis I like to see is all. If I'd wanted to see how much brute strength women had I'd watch body building or something.
You don't get it, do you?
The train has left the station, and you are not on it.

The debate has moved to how "women can develop better service game and return of serve."

HippityHop
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM

And this is the crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Martina Nav said that she'd like to see the stats on how Serena serves when she's facing break points, set points and match points. She bets that Serena's first serve quality and percentage goes way up.

And I suspect that Martina is correct about that.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
WTA players biggest emphasis of improvement will be on SERVING now. A lot of talk about Serena's success this year at Wimbledon had to do with her serve and older players endorsing her as the greatest server in history, I'm sure we are going to see a lot of players work on improving their serve...

I tend to doubt it. I mean, I don't think they're going to work on it that much more than they already do.

The serve has long been recognized as THE most important shot in tennis.

The problem is, it's also the shot that, if not blessed with an inordinate amount of height, requires the most athletic ability to excel at it.

Some girls have it. And some girls don't/won't. :shrug:

It is no mean coincidence that some of the more REGULAR SIZED outstanding servers are also great athletes.

Thkmra
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I am glad the debate is turning toward the future, rather the stuborn, defeatist, knee jerk reaction we have seen all week.

This is how progress is made.
Once in a while, a player or group of players come along and challenge others with a shot, or game plan.
Each time, the palyers have risen to tmeet he challenge.

Selles did it with her return, sharp angles, speed, flat hitting. Her peer met the challenge head on.
The WS did it with power, sustained aggression and pression during both serve and ground strokes
Guess what? Their peers rose to the occasion to meet the challenge.

There is no better example that Henin, a slightly built woman, who decided she had to do somehitng if she is going to win agains the likes of the WS, Davenport, Mary Pierce, Jennifer Carpiati, etc...

Recenlty, both Stosur and Serena have thrown another challenge to their peers by sharpening amd adding variety to their serve.
Again, here the challenge shall be met by other players by of not only developing a return game against these 2, but more importantly, by improving their own serve.

They don't necessarily have to copy Serena or Stosur, just develop a reliable serve of their own that would help them hold easily.
This would ease the pressure brought about by Serena/Stosur reliable quick hold.

There is a false school of thought that being able to hold your serve is an ATP thing.
And somehow Serena fis orcing the WTA to develop an ATP-like game.
That is utterly false.
Holding serve is not and should not be the monopoly of the ATP.
All teaching pros stressto stutents that a player should hold their serve since it is shot they control the start of the point.

We must get away from the notion that seving well somehow bruises the ego and damages the self-esteem of the opponent, because she has no answer to the effective serve of Serena or Stosur

:worship::worship: Great post!!

Roookie
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I think Serena showed that you don't even need to serve bombs...especially in the final. It was more about placement and do it in the clutch moments. That's the key and hopefully players would work on that.

duhcity
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Oh come on.

It's not an evolution. Everyone wants to serve Serena and Stosur. The fact is, it's not easy to learn

Serenita
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I think so, we won't see this impact until a few years though.

Agreed these bitches are slow to learn. :shrug:

Serenita
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Bye.....

look tennis has evolved!! Seles / Davenport / Serena and Venus...ffs evn Henin has adapted her game! move the fuck on idiot. Tennis as u know it has died, where seeing a new and improve tennis. Time to get ur shit together and move on. :bounce::worship:

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Bye.....

look tennis has evolved!! Seles / Davenport / Serena and Venus...ffs evn Henin has adapted her game! move the fuck on idiot. Tennis as u know it has died, where seeing a new and improve tennis. Time to get ur shit together and move on. :bounce::worship:
Coke Zero physically lives in the 21st century, but her/his thinking is stuck in the mid-20th century.
If s/he does not want to move on and longing for that golden era, s/he can contact Bud Collins, tennis historian, who will eagerly point to him/her where he can get "good" matches from the 50's or earlier. The women wore long ankle length skirts , long sleve shirt with tie, while playing graceful tennis.
See below for the raging fashion of the times

http://www.4specialtytennis.com/images/wimbledon.jpg http://www.4specialtytennis.com/images/lenglen.jpgIn http://www.4specialtytennis.com/images/lottie.jpg

In the 127-year history of Wimbledon, the tennis apparel worn by tennis players has changed drastically. The first women to play in the tournament wore full-length dresses as their tennis apparel.

The men's fashion included full-length pants until 1946. Now, players like Serena Williams are making fashion statement everytime they step on to the court with tight-fitting body suits or exotic colored two-piece outfits as their signature tennis apparel.

http://www.4specialtytennis.com/tennishistory.html

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Oh come on.

It's not an evolution. Everyone wants to serve Serena and Stosur. The fact is, it's not easy to learn
No, they don't have to serve like Serena or Stosur.
THey just need to develop their own serve and return of serve.
Serena, Stosur, Venus do not serve the same way.

They have coaches who can help them do it.

bandabou
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
And this is the crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Martina Nav said that she'd like to see the stats on how Serena serves when she's facing break points, set points and match points. She bets that Serena's first serve quality and percentage goes way up.

And I suspect that Martina is correct about that.

THAT's what sets Serena apart. Maria df's to give Serena another sp...and boom: ACE by Serena...set over and match too.

In the Oz open final, the same thing. Juju gets bp..ACE by Serena. Girl's just clutch.

duhcity
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
No, they don't have to serve like Serena or Stosur.
THey just need to develop their own serve and return of serve.
Serena, Stosur, Venus do not serve the same way.

They have coaches who can help them do it.

Oh come on, I didn't mean literally serve like Serena and Stosur.
I meant with the usual consistency and effectiveness that they do.

It's been very clear for the last several years (namely through Safina and Jankovic) how important a serve is to get one player to another level. It's not a brand new idea that efficiency on one's own serve game is highly important.

Though to Jelena's credit, her serve has massively improved, but it took a player making quite a bit of money and bringing in some considerable outside help to develop it.

Acinolbaj
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
More shoulder injuries, thatīs what WTA needs.

:rolleyes:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
It's funny how the crowd doesnt cheer SERVErena when she gets aces, or holds serve so easily, because they are thinking EXACTLY what all of you are thinking. It's kind of an unfair advantage. Either that or they are too busy laughing at her ridiculous fake hair.

narutos
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
It's funny how the crowd doesnt cheer SERVErena when she gets aces, or holds serve so easily, because they are thinking EXACTLY what all of you are thinking. It's kind of an unfair advantage. Either that or they are too busy laughing at her ridiculous fake hair.

What is that?:eek:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Agreed. And with Stosur's serve, too, a lot of players saw what that could do at the French Open. This could cause a sort of shift from focus on ground strokes to serves, and maybe back to some serve and volleying??? :hearts:

:hearts:

nadia :hearts:

Miss Amor
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
It's funny how a certain melanie Oudin fan is so against good serving. I guess he has finally realised that the only way his girl can win matches is if her oppponent serves 20+ doublefaults and 70mph second serves.

Serenita
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
More shoulder injuries, thatīs what WTA needs.

:rolleyes:
Better technique thats whats needed.;)

Bijoux0021
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Were Steffi Graf's serve and forehand unfair advantages? :help:

And why don't you write to Melanie Oudin and tell her to work on her serve?

Serena was not born with a great serve. She's worked hard on it throughout her career. After not serving well at this years' French Open, she stated in her interviews that she went home and worked very hard on her serve for Wimbledon. The hard work paid off. Instead of getting praise for her hard work, she has been bashed nonstop by haters whose favs are too lazy to work on their serves. :devil:

bandabou
Jul 6th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Mann....:lol: What can u do?

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM
With post like that , Graf would be embarrassed to have you as fan.

You would say Graf's forehand was an unfair advanage over ASV, Gaby Sabatini and Mornical Selles.
I guess you would discourage the young Melanie from developing an effective serve, it would unfair to her opponent.

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Oh come on, I didn't mean literally serve like Serena and Stosur.
I meant with the usual consistency and effectiveness that they do.

It's been very clear for the last several years (namely through Safina and Jankovic) how important a serve is to get one player to another level. It's not a brand new idea that efficiency on one's own serve game is highly important.

Though to Jelena's credit, her serve has massively improved, but it took a player making quite a bit of money and bringing in some considerable outside help to develop it.
I think you and other posters are selling the women players short.
They can't do this, they can't do that.
It would too difficult and on and on.
If they give it the time and dedication(like they would any other part of their game they want to imporve), they will succede at this.

No one thought, Henin, because of her size would develop the game she is now known for.
Big serve, forehand and backhand.
But she decided if she was going to challenge the big hitters, she had develop her won game to be competitive.

Maria's serve and return of serve have imporved. It was evident in her match against Serena.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
This girl had a good serve...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lx7sdlajrEM&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lx7sdlajrEM&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM

you're so bitter it's not even funny anymore :help:

Lucemferre
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Nadal serve is not even top 50.Atp is heading in current wta direction.Pathetic baseline pushing with a lot of spin is the new game:tape: Big serves still dominate grass on the womens tour but not on atp:o:o:o Ican't help but think that atp needs a Seles/Williams like revolution in the return game.How they let a player like nadal get away with that serve on grass is beyond me:help:

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Nadal serve is not even top 50.Atp is heading in current wta direction.Pathetic baseline pushing with a lot of spin is the new game:tape: Big serves still dominate grass on the womens tour but not on atp:o:o:o Ican't help but think that atp needs a Seles/Williams like revolution in the return game.How they let a player like nadal get away with that serve on grass is beyond me:help:
There you go.

What people forget, is that on grass SERVE and VOLLEY game is suppoed to dominate.
This mean NO long rallies.

You are correct about Selles making the return of serve and a weapon.
I am not sure, but I don't recall Graf's, ASV's fan complain that it was unfair for Selles to have such a strong return because they could NOT have rallies.
There is obsession that you have to have long , unending rallies.

Conchita Martinez, Martina Nav., Natalie Tauziat used to favor rallies.

In the case of Conchita she does it on all surfaces, just like Pete Sampras, Pat Rafter, Goran Ivanisevic. These players well praised for their beautiful games

Patrick345
Jul 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
WTA players biggest emphasis of improvement will be on SERVING now. A lot of talk about Serena's success this year at Wimbledon had to do with her serve and older players endorsing her as the greatest server in history, I'm sure we are going to see a lot of players work on improving their serve. Back when Venus and Serena were #1 and #2 and dominated earlier, they were known for raising the game for "power hitting". Then we saw a lot of people playin with more power...such as the Belgiums, Russians, and many others. Anyway...I predict players will start working on having a consistent, versitale, and a serve with more power.....I thikn that was one of Henin's biggest area's she wanted to improve on once she returned.

All players know that already. They knew that 20 years ago. I mean every player on Tour knows that, if you can serve like Serena, return like Seles, forehand like Graf, backhand like Henin, volley like Martina and run like Jankovic, that you will be pretty good. But you canīt buy that stuff over the counter.

Ivanovic will never run like Wozniacki, while Wozniacki will never hit forehand winners like Ivanovic.
Cibulkova will never serve like Serena, while Serena will never...hmmmm..hmmm...make chocolate spa pics like Cibulkova.

mdterp01
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Serving has always been a key factor to winning at Wimbledon. Thats how I knew Justine stood no chance of winning it serving around 50 damn percent.