PDA

View Full Version : Who will end up with more grand slam titles, Serena or Federer?

Julian.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Who will end up with more grand slam singles titles when they retire, Serena or Federer?

Roger Federer: 16 slam titles, DOB: August 8, 1981
Serena Williams: 13 slam titles, DOB: September 26, 1981

EDIT: Not to compare who is better between Roger and Serena or anything. We know that Serena currently has weaker competitions compared to Roger but she currently has less slams, hence we can ask who will end up with more slams at the end. Just talking about numbers and prediction, nothing else.

Caralenko
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
:help: Running out of thread ideas?

Julian.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:29 PM

Nope.

new-york
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Serena could really catch up. (h5)

gua
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Serena because Serena has 13 singles and 12 doubles.

Polikarpov
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
By the current look of things, Serena.

timafi
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
insulting to Federer really:shrug:

oh and Federer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Serena

ys
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
That's an excellent question and thread. Federer's record could and should be the next legitimate target for Serena.
With all differences, they are really very similar. Hardcourts, the biggest Slam earner for both, grass being second, and sole RG crown, a little bit lucky in both cases.
Somehow, I have a feeling , that lately Serena managed to find a good balance between her fitness level and her playing schedule, so that she is free of major injuries for quite a while already. If she keeps doing that with same determination .. can she win 4 more? Absolutely. Can Federer go slamless from now on? Probably. We'll see.
The poll misses a very likely option. Them ending up even.

timafi
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
That's an excellent question and thread. Federer's record could and should be the next legitimate target for Serena.
With all differences, they are really very similar. Hardcourts, the biggest Slam earner for both, grass being second, and sole RG crown, a little bit lucky in both cases.
Somehow, I have a feeling , that lately Serena managed to find a good balance between her fitness level and her playing schedule, so that she is free of major injuries for quite a while already. If she keeps doing that with same determination .. can she win 4 more? Absolutely. Can Federer go slamless from now on? Probably. We'll see.

since you went there I'll remind that you that unlike Serena;Federer has made ALL 4 major finals three times;losing to Nadal each and everytime:rolleyes::rolleyes:

gmokb
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:14 PM

Poor you:sad:

timafi
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Poor you:sad:

poor me?really?:rolleyes::lol:

read my post ^^^^^ and then shut your piehole!:rolleyes:

Julian.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
I love that Federer is winning the poll here right now and Serena winning the poll at MTF :rolls:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
since you went there I'll remind that you that unlike Serena;Federer has made ALL 4 major finals three times;losing to Nadal each and everytime:rolleyes::rolleyes:

someone's a little defensive

young_gunner913
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:19 PM

So he's lost in more slam finals then she has. Thanks for another good stat for her.

Uranium
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Serena because Serena has 13 singles and 12 doubles.
+ 2 Mixed.

And unlike Roger, Serena has been to every single Grand Slam Final of Singles, Doubles and Mixed. Something Roger will never do.

noamgdi
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
i think serena will win more

Caralenko
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Comparing the WTA to the ATP is like comparing sugar to salt. Looks the same, ISN'T THE SAME. At all.

Gdsimmons
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I think it is totally possible for Serena to catch Roger. She has 13 he has 16. Only 3 behind. Its clear that Serena steps it up at majors and really wants to win. Roger is clearly a great player, but the mens game is incredibly deep.

iPatty
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM

I was unaware that it was Nadal who won the US Open last year. Silly me. :smash:

tennis-insomniac
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
atp is more competitive than wta now fed gotta pull his best to focus on winning slams but i think he could do it He's the greatest of all time as a person and as a player no doubt

Julian.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
^ He is NOT the greatest of all time as a person for sure :rolls:

delicatecutter
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM

Serena wasn't lucky at all in winning her RG title. She was the dominant player on Tour that year and had also won Rome, beating both Henin and Capriati.

Baselinebasher
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Serena wasn't lucky at all in winning her RG title. She was the dominant player on Tour that year and had also won Rome, beating both Henin and Capriati.

Serena failed to make RG final or even SF after that win. What does it tell you? Federer made multiple RG finals, losing to greatest clay courter of all time in all cases. With Nadal out, he won RG. Roger is easily second best clay courter after Nadal. Serena is nowhere close.

Quite frankly this thread is a little insulting. Comparing the greatest male player of all time to a tier 2 great like Serena just shows how little common sense people have here. Serena could end up with 30 slams and Roger might retire tomorrow and he will still be greater than Serena. You just can't compare WTA to ATP. This year's embarrassment of a Wimbledon and RG just further confirms it.

Thkmra
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Serena failed to make RG final or even SF after that win. What does it tell you? Federer made multiple RG finals, losing to greatest clay courter of all time in all cases. With Nadal out, he won RG. Roger is easily second best clay courter after Nadal. Serena is nowhere close.

Quite frankly this thread is a little insulting. Comparing the greatest male player of all time to a tier 2 great like Serena just shows how little common sense people have here. Serena could end up with 30 slams and Roger might retire tomorrow and he will still be greater than Serena. You just can't compare WTA to ATP. This year's embarrassment of a Wimbledon and RG just further confirms it.

:hug: Awwwwwww, poor you!!:tape:

Anyways 2 years ago this proposition would've been laughed at, but now given Fed's decline, in contrast to Serena's ascent, it's likely that Serena will pass him...NO MATTER if he was more dominant as a player!!

Direwolf
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM

This.

now making Mens thread

Julian.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM

Nobody is claiming who is better or anything. This thread is only asking who will end up with more slams. Just the number. Nobody claimed that Serena is better than Roger if she won more.

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
There's definitely a chance.

Especially since Federror is OVA.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Everyone with their redundancy :rolleyes: we know the tours are different, that wasn't the question posed by the OP.

And I do think Serena can catch up to Fed, especially since the ATP tour and screaming babies seem to have caught up with him.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
:lol: at all the bitching

it's just a question of number of slams :lol: and i wouldn't be surprised if they ended up equal

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
It was not that long ago when Serena had 8 and Justine had 7
That was only 2 years ago in 2008.
Serena won 5 of the last 8 majors. Along with Fran, Kim, and Sveta

She has pulled far away from the pack right now.
16 does not sound wild. Nor 18

Brena
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
I don't care. Serena >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Federer disregarding the number of GSs.

Serena y Monica
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM

LOL...and this is significant why? You are silly. Regardless of how many times he made it to the final...Fact is he won only once...JUST like Serena...lol!

Dodoboy.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
WOW, Serena could do this!

azinna
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM

She has pulled far away from the pack right now.
16 does not sound wild. Nor 18

I was always a fan and believer. But it is indeed remarkable how quickly things changed.

kiwifan
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I only say Serena because I think she is actually paying attention and is competitive with Fed...

...methinks Fed is just going to win what he's going to win, no additional motivation needed...

...but Serena was going to win more than Venus and now that's settled, she needs a new "marker" to catch up to.

Marty-Dom
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM

4 majors times three is 12 titles. Nadal might have 8 by tomorrow and he still is short the USO title. You might want to revise your statement. It implies Nadal has 3 career Grand Slams.
Roger lost 3 times in the finals of RG to Nadal.

Serena has a good chance of passing Roger, seeing how he is in a slump and she is going strong with 3 titles to make up.
But, I don't think it's a sure thing, because Roger has still more slams in him, and Serena has been anything but reliable in her 14 years on tour. The last 2 years were exceptional for her- only matched or bettered by her 2002/3 period.

Wiggly
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Roger has a much toughter field to compete with so Serena should win more.

1jackson2001
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Sensitive much?

The question is just asking people who they think will end up with more slams, not who they think will be the greater player (even if Serena ends up with more slams).

ptkten
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I'm a Federer fan but sometimes other Federer fans can be so insecure. The question isn't who is better, or who should be winning more, the question is who will win more, simple as that. I think they could end up tied, I think Federer will pull together one more run somewhere and end up with 17, which is about what I think Serena will win.

Svetlana)))
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I kept thinking about this question and I honestly believe Serena can surpass TMF. Fed has shown that his glory-days are gone for now and he needs to sort out his brain. Serena is just getting better and increasing the gulf between her opponents. I can see her winning the USO and winning 1-2 slams next year for a total of 16.

VS Fan
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:53 AM

Wasn't the 2003 RG match with Justine (the hand) the semifinal?:confused:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Federer can take a rest until next year's Wimbledon and will STILL have more Slams than Serena.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Well, Federer is ain't winnig anything again might win 1 or 2 more so Rena is the right option.

AcesHigh
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM
There's definitely a chance.

Especially since Federror is OVA.

People said that before. Federer has too much game to fade away, especially before catching and surpassing Sampras at Wimbledon.

I think Serena will end up with 19 or 20 causing Reetards and Grafanatics to fight until the end of time.

I dont think Roger will get that far. I think he'll finish at 18..maaaybe 19.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hmmm....Roger is almost done. For the coming years, his best shot will be at Wimbledon..but it depends on the feet and the back. And then there's still the little riddle of Nadal who OWNS him. His biggest knock...NOBODY owns Serena and certainly not on the biggest stages.

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM
People said that before. Federer has too much game to fade away, especially before catching and surpassing Sampras at Wimbledon.

I think Serena will end up with 19 or 20 causing Reetards and Grafanatics to fight until the end of time.

I dont think Roger will get that far. I think he'll finish at 18..maaaybe 19.
Well 2009 was just luck! Rafa is back now, and with Berdych performing, Novak slowly finding his way back, Del Potro back by 2011 etc etc. order has been restored!

Federer can only hope that he continues to draw Murray in Slam finals, but then Murray is also OVA (though it could be successfully argued that he was never anything to begin with).

Umberella
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Serena has less now, but she has more potential for the future. At the moment, Serena is a clear number 1 among all the wta, whereas Federer is slipping (first time ranked 3rd in so long). I know that 3rd isn't bad or anything, but Serena is just in such a dominating position at the moment and no up-and-coming players look to be able to challenge her much. Fed has to compete with Nadal, Djokovic... Even Lleyton and Berdych give him trouble lately!

makirilenko
Jul 4th, 2010, 05:04 PM
The ATP is more competitive right now, but really who knows, Federer has hit a rough patch in his career, but he is still Roger Federer and can win anything at anytime. The days of multiple slam wins a year for Roger may be over, but I think its too early to make that sort of judgment. Even if Serena wins 2 a year and Roger wins 1 a year, it will take several years just for Serena to catch up. I can't predict the future, injuries, early retirement, and just luck can mess with either play, but I'm inclined to say Roger just because he already has a lead on Serena and he can still win slams, making it tough for Serena to catch up.

friendsita
Jul 4th, 2010, 07:44 PM
sERENa

aisha
Jul 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Six months ago, this wasn't realistic to me.
Now it's within realm of possibility that Serena could catch FedGoat. :shrug: :speakles:

I would still say no. I think Fed will win a couple more as will Serena. No matter what she does won't make up for all the time she missed in her prime years. Sorry. :sad:

Calypso
Jul 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Tough to say.

Serena is likely to add more slams to her tally, but so too is Roger.
Nevertheless I've voted for Serena ;-)

CloudAtlas
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Who cares? They're not in competition with each other and even if Serena surpasses it , it still wouldn't be considered as great an achievement as Federer winning as many as he has :shrug:

tea
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Life will tell. Based on recent events I'd bet on Serena.

Well 2009 was just luck! Rafa is back now, and with Berdych performing, Novak slowly finding his way back, Del Potro back by 2011 etc etc. order has been restored!

Federer can only hope that he continues to draw Murray in Slam finals, but then Murray is also OVA (though it could be successfully argued that he was never anything to begin with).
:lol: Luck. Is it safe to say Nadal won't burn himself, as he did in 2009, again? He's not playing any effortlessly as he once was. I see it possible for Fed to have a few more Nadal free FO-Wims. Also I'm more than sure you were one of those gloaters who thought that OVA for Fed already happened back in 2008. You risk to fail again.

Murray might never been anything, but has been enough to kick Nadal's ass at the US and OZ Open. Loads of players has schooled dirlballer there. Thereby, that lonely blue star in your signature may very well remain a lonely one for good.

Kunal
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM
a very good thread

i think rena will take it.

1. Becuase she has a new found motivation for the game.
2. her fitness is right up there.
3. I dont see anyone even close to match up to her right now. (Unless Henin or Kim really step it up)

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Wow. Are you guys serious? Federer DONE? :help: You realise he crushed absolutely everyone at the AO just 5 months ago right? Losing to Soderling and Berdych is no disgrace... And he's not even 30 yet!

I guarantee Federer will get to 22 Slams. Serena might scrape to 18 if she's lucky.

LCS
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:21 PM
atp is more competitive than wta now fed gotta pull his best to focus on winning slams but i think he could do it He's the greatest of all time as a person and as a player no doubt

:haha: GOAT post!

roelc
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM

wow, that s impressive! dont know why, but i never realized that she won that many just in the last 2 years!
it also means that it s more than 2 years since venus has won a slam ... :(

still i think federer will have more in the end. people thought he was finished after losing RG and wimbledon to nadal 2 years ago but he's won 4 slams after that. so that's 4/8 for federer, and 5/8 for serena. both will win more

Shinjiro
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Hmmm....Roger is almost done. For the coming years, his best shot will be at Wimbledon..but it depends on the feet and the back. And then there's still the little riddle of Nadal who OWNS him. His biggest knock...NOBODY owns Serena and certainly not on the biggest stages.

Had they played more often off clay during Fed's prime, the h2h would be more respectable. Federer has been well past it for a few years, I think it may be too late for that now.

friendsita
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
^ He is NOT the greatest of all time as a person for sure :rolls:

ITA

Roger is the greatest ego king of all time.

friendsita
Jul 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I don't care. Serena >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Federer disregarding the number of GSs.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

friendsita
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Wow. Are you guys serious? Federer DONE? :help: You realise he crushed absolutely everyone at the AO just 5 months ago right? Losing to Soderling and Berdych is no disgrace... And he's not even 30 yet!

I guarantee Federer will get to 22 Slams. Serena might scrape to 18 if she's lucky.

:help:

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
:help:

He's won six Slams in the last three years... you really think he won't be able to get another six in the 8 years he plans to continue playing?

aisha
Jul 5th, 2010, 02:15 AM
18 if she's lucky. :rolls:

I'd take that. Talent> Luck, no? :shrug:

danieln1
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:02 AM
At the moment, Serena is playing much better than FedGOAT, so she still has 4-6 slams in her...

But Federer is worrying me, I think he might win 2-3... I guess they´ll end up the same!!

Julian.
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
He's won six Slams in the last three years... you really think he won't be able to get another six in the 8 years he plans to continue playing?

He plans to play for another 8 years? :unsure:

Svetlana)))
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:21 PM

He probably has 3 years max in him. The kind of tennis hes playing right now won't even get him 1 more.

Nicolas
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Damn, i planned to vote Federer but i made a mistake and vote Williams..... silly me

Baselinebasher
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Federer is playing in a field full of young and hungry talent and still dangerous veterans as well as his main rival who made him his pigeon in slams. Serena has to deal with mugs and chokers like Zvonareva and Safina in slam finals. At this point Serena could end up with 20 slams unless Henin finds her form and Clijsters starts giving a damn about full time tennis. Comparing Fed and Serena is ridiculous considering the lack of competition for Serena right now.

Julian.
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Federer is playing in a field full of young and hungry talent and still dangerous veterans as well as his main rival who made him his pigeon in slams. Serena has to deal with mugs and chokers like Zvonareva and Safina in slam finals. At this point Serena could end up with 20 slams unless Henin finds her form and Clijsters starts giving a damn about full time tennis. Comparing Fed and Serena is ridiculous considering the lack of competition for Serena right now.

We all know that and that's the exact reason I made the poll. Not to compare who is better between Roger and Serena or anything. We know that Serena currently has weaker competitions compared to Roger but she currently has less slams, hence we can ask who will end up with more slams at the end. Just talking about numbers and prediction, nothing else.

Tezuka.
Aug 7th, 2012, 06:58 PM

:spit:

Tezuka.
Aug 7th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I think Serena has a good chance to reach 18 GS titles. Fed may never win another slam because the competition in ATP is way tougher at the top. He is not clearly the best player on the tour unlike Serena who looks clearly the best player.

bandabou
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hmmmm.....Nadal, Djokovic and now it seems Murray too. Serena's the slightly easier field. Still 2 more majors is no easy feat.

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I think Serena has a good chance to reach 18 GS titles. Fed may never win another slam because the competition in ATP is way tougher at the top. He is not clearly the best player on the tour unlike Serena who looks clearly the best player.

Time to step out from under that rock. He just handled the no.1 player and no. 4 player on his way to a Wimbledon title a few weeks back. Yes, he isn't young, and his performance in the Olympics final after a gruelling semi speaks to that, but his best level is still up there.

Break My Rapture
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Serena is winning at least another two Wimbledons, probably US Opens as well.

Tezuka.
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Time to step out from under that rock. He just handled the no.1 player and no. 4 player on his way to a Wimbledon title a few weeks back. Yes, he isn't young, and his performance in the Olympics final after a gruelling semi speaks to that, but his best level is still up there.

I agree with you. He is the best player so far. No question about it but Nole and Rafa aren't far behind. Both did beat Fed in slams this year.

Serena is trashing Pova and Azarenka (the 2 best players in the world after Serena) whenever they meet this year. Did you see Federer doing that to Nadal, Djokovic or even Murray? Hell no.

So that tells me that the competition is tougher at the top on the men's tour. Adding more slams will be harder for Federer. Apart from RG, Serena can win any slam when she plays her best. You can't say the same for Fed anymore. There are other players who can stop him even if he is playing well.

tennisfan5
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Serena is winning at least another two Wimbledons, probably US Opens as well.

I would replace US Opens with Australian opens. She certainly has a chance at the US open, but she's only won one since 2002.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
It's going to be easier for Serena to win majors than Roger.

The next 4 majors are going to be very informative.

RVD
Aug 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Who will end up with more grand slam singles titles when they retire, Serena or Federer?

EDIT: Not to compare who is better between Roger and Serena or anything. We know that Serena currently has weaker competitions compared to Roger but she currently has less slams, hence we can ask who will end up with more slams at the end. Just talking about numbers and prediction, nothing else.Not to be nit-picky or anything, but you're asking two separate questions, and I'm not sure if people are aware of it.

Your thread title reads:
"Who will end up with more grand slam titles, Serena or Federer?"

Yet your first post question reads:

So I'm just kinda wondering which question you want answered.

If the question is simply slam titles, Serena already has ---

14 Slam Singles Titles
13 Slam Doubles Titles
2 Slam Mixed Doubles Titles
That's a total of 29 Slams Titles

While Roger Federer has accumulated---

17 Slam Singles Titles
That's a total of 17 Slams Titles

However, I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe this has already been pointed out, and just the thread title has yet to be corrected. :)

In The Zone
Aug 7th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Dsanders06, you are a hater and I don't even think you hate Serena. I think you think it is funny to bother people. You are pathetic.

Sad part, this was in 2010 before dsanders even knew about Serena's foot. Serena was going to easily get another 5 slams at that point. Troll.

n1_and_uh_noone
Aug 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I agree with you. He is the best player so far. No question about it but Nole and Rafa aren't far behind. Both did beat Fed in slams this year.

Serena is trashing Pova and Azarenka (the 2 best players in the world after Serena) whenever they meet this year. Did you see Federer doing that to Nadal, Djokovic or even Murray? Hell no.

So that tells me that the competition is tougher at the top on the men's tour. Adding more slams will be harder for Federer. Apart from RG, Serena can win any slam when she plays her best. You can't say the same for Fed anymore. There are other players who can stop him even if he is playing well.

Difference is that Roger is just a more consistent performer than Serena. He has made countless Slam QFs in a row and at least semis in 7 of the last 8 (2 finals). Serena has already had 3 bad losses and that USO final in 1 year. Also, despite his consistency, he does not bring his best form all the time any more (and yes, Djokovic and Nadal are no slouches), but when he does, watch out. Serena has the same thing about her, except the consistency. She made it through grass season without a major blip but who knows what might happen tomorrow?

young_gunner913
Aug 7th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Dsanders06, you are a hater and I don't even think you hate Serena. I think you think it is funny to bother people. You are pathetic.

He really is. He's already admitted to spending so much time on here cause he has no life. I can see why. His personality is repugnant.

friendsita
Aug 7th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Serena. Seems like we'll have her for some more years...

justineheninfan
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM
It is hard to say. I could see Federer winning anywhere from 0-2 more slams. I could see Serena winning anywhere from 3-11 more. So Serena more likely probably.

T-rex
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I say Serena.

She is clearly #1 in her sport. Federer is at best on even ground with Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. And Tsonga isn't that far away.

Plus, despite Federer's resurgence, I sense his clock is ticking faster than Serena's.

I think Federer has maybe 1 slam left. I think its possible Serena could win 4 or 5 more in the next 4 years.

Queen_Vee_92
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:22 AM
It is hard to say. I could see Federer winning anywhere from 0-2 more slams. I could see Serena winning anywhere from 3-11 more. So Serena more likely probably.

11 :eek:

She's miles ahead of the competition and probably has the serve for a good few years, but she's nearly 31. No way does she win anything near 11 more slams, 2 or 3 for sure and i'd say a maximum of 5. She could win the next 2 or 3 wimbledons and a couple of others in the next 4 years, but her matches against Zheng and Shvedova she could have easily lost on another surface imo.

sweetadri06
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM
It's hard to say, at the moment Serena feels and looks younger than her 30 years. She looks like she can go on and win more slams for the next 2 to 3 years. Federer on the other hand has more mileage on his body and more competition at the top.

ziros
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:41 AM
If they were tied on 14 majors each,you may say Serena but odds definitely Federer IMO

Thiudans
Aug 8th, 2012, 01:10 AM
It's hard to say, at the moment Serena feels and looks younger than her 30 years. She looks like she can go on and win more slams for the next 2 to 3 years. Federer on the other hand has more mileage on his body and more competition at the top.

I agree, but :lol: that you included that.

I'm really not sure. Federer, even though he's just won Wimbledon, seems to be nearing the end of his competitive years at the very top of the game, and has more people that are closer to his level. Even so, I could PERHAPS see him winning about two more, at the most. There's nothing at all stopping Serena, though, so I'd say that she'll end up with more.

Pump-it-UP
Aug 8th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Serena.

Olderer is never winning another grand slam.

Kunal
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:27 AM

yes a very good thread indeed. i think this question has a far greater permutation in giving the wta an intriguing storyline. it has been accussed of being rather flaky since nobody has been able to dominate it. now i feel serena is primed to do just that. will serena be able to catch up to federer is a question that gives an exciting new dimension to the wta.
there are already many similarities as pointed out by a few of you. gonna keep an eye out on this.

Alarmed
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Serena. She needs what, three more to tie Roger? Until she's beaten, whenever that may be, Wimbledon is her playground. She's made the final four times in the last five years. The only exception when she was coming back from a year off tour. She loves Australia and her results at the US Open are incredibly consistent. W, SF, F the last three times she has played. She's a threat to win those three for sure.

effedcamel
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Serena.

Olderer is never winning another grand slam.

:lol: delusional

Lazyking
Aug 8th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I think Serena at most wins 4.. if she's super motivated, maybe 6. But I think she's accomplished everything she wanted and the body will break down eventually. It's not like she's the greatest mover in the world not that she needs to be.

Federer's time is coming to an end but I see him winning one to maybe three more.. but if he doesn't the next two years then none. I'll go Federer 19, Serena 18

manojob
Aug 8th, 2012, 06:35 AM
According to my opinion, Serena Williams will win the more Grand slam single titles.

SerenaGOAT
Aug 8th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Considering the physical condition seen in the last matches i would say rena.... :bounce:

Sam L
Aug 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Serena, obviously. Federer's done.

tejmeglekvár
Aug 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM
It's going to be easier for Serena to win majors than Roger.

The next 4 majors are going to be very informative.

why not 5? or French Open is not considered as major in SerenaSlam anymore? :p

jj74
Aug 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't know. It's not that easy to win three GS, she was totally dominant last year in hard court season and she failed in the US Open final, and she wasn't even in the race to Australian Open.
I think she has a lot more oportunities to win GS than Roger (in fact i think it's time to see new GS champlions on the men's side, noone of the top 3 is so dominant right now, and it's time to Murray, Delpo and other to rise the bar) but tennis change really soon. Sometimes Roger or Rafa seemed destined to dominate clearly atp and suddenly Novak was winning everything.
Serena is the best player on wta, but she is not getting younger, great players are always a thread even in their 30's but dominate and winning GS is a different matter.
I think Serena will win at least a couple of GS more (if the injuries respect her) but i don't know if she will reach Roger

RenaSlam.
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM

In what way were they lucky? They earned them. Serena beat Capriati and Venus en route (#1 and #2 at the time) and Federer earned his, with or without Nadal in the draw.

Lucemferre
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM
In what way were they lucky? They earned them. Serena beat Capriati and Venus en route (#1 and #2 at the time) and Federer earned his, with or without Nadal in the draw.

With. Henin was in the draw too. Not facing a certain player in a slam final doesn't mean the winner was lucky. It means that said player wasn't good enough to be there in the first place. How retarded it is to assume one player will always be in the final/semi to stop another player from winning. Nobody owns these majors. Good thing they must actually go out there and win their matches before being handed the title.

Alarmed
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM
why not 5? or French Open is not considered as major in SerenaSlam anymore? :p

He said the next four majors would tell a lot. The next four is the US Open-Aussie Open-French-Wimbledon.

HippityHop
Aug 8th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Why is anybody taking this question seriously? Was anybody worried about whether Graf would end up with more titles than Sampras?

What is this about? If I didn't know better I'd think it was about some men feeling that their balls are somehow diminished by Serena's greatness. :rolleyes:

tejmeglekvár
Aug 8th, 2012, 03:01 PM
He said the next four majors would tell a lot. The next four is the US Open-Aussie Open-French-Wimbledon.

and I just asked a bit tongue-in-cheek way "why not 5", what is so big difference of next year's Wimbledon and USO? 2 months? Well, that might be a really good reason. ;)

justineheninfan
Aug 9th, 2012, 02:17 AM
11 :eek:

She's miles ahead of the competition and probably has the serve for a good few years, but she's nearly 31. No way does she win anything near 11 more slams, 2 or 3 for sure and i'd say a maximum of 5. She could win the next 2 or 3 wimbledons and a couple of others in the next 4 years, but her matches against Zheng and Shvedova she could have easily lost on another surface imo.

I didnt say she would win 11. I just give a huge minimum and maximum range since womens tennis is so crazy and hard to read these days. If I were to take a guess it would be another 6 or 7. I still think the likelihood is she wins more than Roger who will be lucky to win even one more. Federer winning say 3 more slams is even more unlikely than Serena winning another 11. Serena is clearly more easily able to put down and beat any current player with no up and comers in sight, while Federer cant beat Nadal, Djokovic, or perhaps even Murray at their best with other potential threats who can easily beat a past his best Federer on a given day they play their A game like Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga. Serena controls her own destiny in every tournament she enters now, unless she plays a shit match somewhere along the line she will win. There is literally nobody to challenge her in todays abysmal field, where the next best players are a player terrified of her who matches up horribly with her (Sharapova), another who matches up very poorly with her (Azarenka), and an inconsistent player who often wont even reach Serena and probably wont be consistent enough to beat her even if they do (Kvitova).

fifty-fifty
Aug 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM
1 mens slam is worth more than 1 womens slam, because of the depth of the field. Before Federer and Sampras were on tour look at the most slams won: 12 to 24. Mens slam was worth twice as much.

friendsita
Aug 9th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Why is anybody taking this question seriously? Was anybody worried about whether Graf would end up with more titles than Sampras?

What is this about? If I didn't know better I'd think it was about some men feeling that their balls are somehow diminished by Serena's greatness. :rolleyes:

THIS.

RVD
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:35 AM
1 mens slam is worth more than 1 womens slam, because of the depth of the field. Before Federer and Sampras were on tour look at the most slams won: 12 to 24. Mens slam was worth twice as much.Are you serious or just kidding around?

There is no such equivalence. :lol:

And actually, the thread question, though interesting, makes for nice conversation.
But that's all.

There is just no way anyone could even come close to answering this question.

Primarily because there are far too many dynamics at work, and partly because the WTA is ridiculous in it's handling of its day-to-day policies and rules.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they (WTA) enact some silly rule to slow Serena's roll, like they attempted in order to get the sistas to play IW.

darrinbaker00
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I'll have to say Serena. Roger has Rafa, Nole and Andy to deal with, while Serena has.....Serena has.....Serena has..... :shrug:

darrinbaker00
Aug 9th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Are you serious or just kidding around?

There is no such equivalence. :lol:

And actually, the thread question, though interesting, makes for nice conversation.
But that's all.

There is just no way anyone could even come close to answering this question.

Primarily because there are far too many dynamics at work, and partly because the WTA is ridiculous in it's handling of its day-to-day policies and rules.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they (WTA) enact some silly rule to slow Serena's roll, like they attempted in order to get the sistas to play IW.

To what "silly rule" are you referring?

ziros
Aug 9th, 2012, 06:20 AM
1 mens slam is worth more than 1 womens slam, because of the depth of the field. Before Federer and Sampras were on tour look at the most slams won: 12 to 24. Mens slam was worth twice as much.
Well,I don't know if I'd go that far but what is true is this: However many slams Serena wins,Federer will always be considered greater...

Alarmed
Aug 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Well,I don't know if I'd go that far but what is true is this: However many slams Serena wins,Federer will always be considered greater...

Are you stupid? Your hate is pathetic. And don't answer that, because based on the posts I've seen from you all over this forum the answer is obvious.

Serena and Federer should never even be compared. It's ridiculous.

ziros
Aug 9th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Are you stupid? Your hate is pathetic. And don't answer that, because based on the posts I've seen from you all over this forum the answer is obvious.

Serena and Federer should never even be compared. It's ridiculous.
These are FACTS - no bias at all...

RVD
Aug 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
To what "silly rule" are you referring?:lol:
You always do this to me darrin.

Why? Darrin...why? :sad:

Anyway, to answer your question...
It was sarcasm. :devil:
As in rather than create a whole new Road Map, like they did in 2009---
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=kamakshi_tandon&id=3670301
...in order to force my fav into playing more (a la that rusty crusty IW tourney)....
This time just create a 'policy' (does that word pass the darrinbaker00 grammer test?) to get Serena to attend, in order to capitalize on her OG win success.

Damn man.
Now my personal jab at the WTA just got all messy! :p

Can I return to eating my bowl of grapes now? :sport:

Wert.
Aug 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Serena.

JRena
Aug 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM
You all are forgetting the only factor that matters. Rafa Nadal's knees is the most important factor to this equation.

Sam L
Aug 9th, 2012, 10:29 AM

That's because of the men's pro tour. Do you know how many slams Laver would have if he didn't turn pro or if there was no pro tour? Just look at his record.

young_gunner913
Aug 9th, 2012, 10:35 AM
LMAO @ depth on the men's tour. Rafa, Olderer, & NoMedalVak and throw Mugray in there for kicks. Yeah, that's REAL depth. :spit:

jj74
Aug 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
That's because of the men's pro tour. Do you know how many slams Laver would have if he didn't turn pro or if there was no pro tour? Just look at his record.

Probably he will be in the same league as Court and Graf.

Right now is absurd tell that men's GS is more difficult when the top male players have a lot more GS than the female. Roger has 17, Rafa 11, and Nole 5 (and he will win some more). They have more GS than the top female by far.
People talk about how strong is atp, and it's true that there's a good bunch of really good players, but in the end is about mentality, and most of them are as weak as most female players. Their chokes are not as spectacular thanks to their serves, but in the end the result is the same. In fact, Roger, Nole and specially Rafa, had won GS without really play well, and that's because they are mentally strong than their rivals. I think it's time to the rest (specially Murray) to rise up their level and start to win GS.

Wta is in a weird moment right now, there are a good bunch of top players who are unable to give a fight against Serena when she is on. But conditions change really fast, Vika dominate clearly the first part of the year, and this could change again. It would be really good for the wta if new young good players appear in scene

Julian.
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:31 AM
She is going to end up with more slams than the trash Federer! :bowdown:

Julian.
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:32 AM
It's Serena 15-17 Federer now!

justineheninfan
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:38 AM
You all are forgetting the only factor that matters. Rafa Nadal's knees is the most important factor to this equation.

Nobody else holds the key to Serena's success (outside of herself) the way Nadal holds the keys to Federer' success. Pretty sad the so called GOAT (according to current hype) needs to avoid the other greatest player of his era, and often needs him injured or out altogether, to stand a chance of winning slams. That is why when all is said and done Serena will be the greater of the two.

Julian.
Sep 10th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Nobody else holds the key to Serena's success (outside of herself) the way Nadal holds the keys to Federer' success. Pretty sad the so called GOAT (according to current hype) needs to avoid the other greatest player of his era, and often needs him injured or out altogether, to stand a chance of winning slams. That is why when all is said and done Serena will be the greater of the two.

Serena is much more inconsistent compared to Federer though :lol:

Julian.
Jun 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Currently
Serena 16
Federer 17

Looks like Serena WILL pass him :D

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 9th, 2013, 01:20 AM

Federer can take a rest until next year's Wimbledon and will STILL have more Slams than Serena.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b231a30df1f95eb939a7f11ae70c8acc/tumblr_mgs0pfRf2v1rct7z4o1_500.gif

Serena and Roger are tied with 17 slams. 2013: Serena won 2 slams, Roger 0 slams. :worship:

RVD
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:15 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/b231a30df1f95eb939a7f11ae70c8acc/tumblr_mgs0pfRf2v1rct7z4o1_500.gif

Serena and Roger are tied with 17 slams. 2013: Serena won 2 slams, Roger 0 slams. :worship:http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance011.gif

Roger just might be 'Old-n-Done'. :oh:

Funny how Serena is STILL cranking out the slam wins, while he's... catching flights home. :o

Smoke944
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Only in tennis are people crazy enough to compare women's accomplishments to the men's :lol:

tennis-insomniac
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:22 AM

Serena and Roger are tied with 17 slams. 2013: Serena won 2 slams, Roger 0 slams. :worship:

Haha but since the date I posted he has won one major more at Wimbledon, though. I hate to compare them in anyway (atp and wta are very different competition). They are both great, nonetheless. And congrats to Serena! I really hope she will surpass 18.

雨傘
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:28 AM
one thing I am convinced of now, from this point and onwards, I want Vee to be there. Even if she is out every first and second round in majors. Some people including me thought they shouldn't play doubles together anymore but I believe Serena plays better with big sister at her side. It is all about Serena and history now. But without Vee, Ree isn't the same.

Svetlana)))
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Queenrena >>> Old-washed-up Queenderer

moaneymurray
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Queenrena >>> Old-washed-up Queenderer

:worship::worship:

Venus3000
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:25 AM
The answer was always going to be Serena.

Unlike Fed, Serena would NEVER, EVER let anyone dominate her in her prime, and if they did it would be for a very brief period before she figured out how to turn the rivalry around in her favor.

iWill
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Olderer has always been inferior to the Lord. :o

moaneymurray
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:27 AM
The answer was always going to be Serena.

Unlike Fed, Serena would NEVER, EVER let anyone dominate her in her prime, and if they did it would be for a very brief period before she figured out how to turn the rivalry around in her favor.

The amazing thing is Federer fans still insist on denying that Nadal ever dominated him in his prime. :lol: :help:

Marty-Dom
Sep 9th, 2013, 03:39 AM
It looks like Serena will pass Roger next year in the Slam count. Only a couple of years ago that seemed like a rather unlikely result.
That said, Serena will not pass Roger in most other career statistics. Weeks at #1 (continuous and total), number of titles, winning streaks etc, are so lopsided in favor of Roger, Serena would have to play and be absolutely dominant for another 3-4 years to have a shot at those. I think another year of this form is possible, but three would be extremely unlikely.

PushingtoHeaven
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:13 PM
This thread should be closed now :angel:

ivanban
Sep 8th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Ree brushing Fed aside :bowdown:

http://i.imgur.com/TOHSEwP.gif?1

shoryuken
Sep 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM
http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/859413440.gif?w=640&h=357

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Sorry Rog...but Nadal dominating you like that was already disqualifying and now Serena finally closed the door completely.

Chloe S.
Sep 8th, 2014, 01:07 PM

EDIT: Not to compare who is better between Roger and Serena or anything. We know that Serena currently has weaker competitions compared to Roger but she currently has less slams, hence we can ask who will end up with more slams at the end. Just talking about numbers and prediction, nothing else.

I want to think that it is Federer, but the reality says that it is going to be Serena. She is strong and determined :p whereas Federer claimed some small injuries last year (he played though) and this year no injuries but he was out in the semifinals...
I liked your thread idea btw. We are comparing a player from wta with one from atp, but I've always liked to make guesses about winners so it's cool! :bounce:

fightserena!!!
Sep 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Ergh. Reading this thread was hard work. Why is it Serena's fault that she dominates her closest rivals? Why do we have to assume if Serena is better than the next best players then the WTA is lame? Can't we conversely imagine that if the men's tour doesn't have a player clearly better than the others, then they are lacking a champion of Serena's calibre? Poor boys.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Skud
Sep 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Sorry, Serenites, but comparing the ATP to the WTA is like comparing the US Basketball dream team to women's college basketball. LOL !

If anything Serena should be disappointed with her massive weapons she should've destroyed the competition at ALL 4 SLAMS! With her arsenal, for Christ's sake, she should have had at least 10 more slams these last 5 years - with no viable opposition (where's Justine ?). To only punch in the clock at the last one smacks of disinterest

Olórin
Sep 8th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Sorry, Serenites, but comparing the ATP to the WTA is like comparing the US Basketball dream team to women's college basketball. LOL !

No really. Comparing ATP to WTA is a concept many of the world's leading tennis analysts are comfortable with.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/11478701/federer-vs-serena

But I definitely agree with the rest of your post.

Kabibi
Sep 8th, 2014, 05:36 PM

If anything Serena should be disappointed with her massive weapons she should've destroyed the competition at ALL 4 SLAMS! With her arsenal, for Christ's sake, she should have had at least 10 more slams these last 5 years - with no viable opposition (where's Justine ?). To only punch in the clock at the last one smacks of disinterest

Julian is suddenly a Serenite?

Serena's accomplishments and how she's gone about it, stand on their own and are at testament to her. She has done this on her terms. She didn't need to do it on yours, the tennis community/commentators, etc. I believe her situation is unique otherwise she would have been a Justine and we would have been asking, Where's Serena. And by the way, Serena beat Justine the last few times they played, so that was answered definitively.

She got the US Open slam. That's all that matters and it adds to her 18.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2014, 05:37 PM

See, you blew right there.

Prior to that, your argument was legit - I disagreed with it - but it was legit. But anyone looking at Serena's effort towards fitness and game evolution over the last three years who says she's "disinterested" sounds, at best, like they're making a specious argument or, at worst, is a TROLLING ASS.

RVD
Sep 8th, 2014, 05:45 PM
No really. Comparing ATP to WTA is a concept many of the world's leading tennis analysts are comfortable with.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/11478...erer-vs-serena (http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/11478701/federer-vs-serena)

But I definitely agree with the rest of your post. Exactly Olórin.
Since when did the analogy become taboo, silly, or in bad taste to compare the accomplishments of two greats in their respective associations in a particular sport?
As afr as I know, sports journalist...and in fact, the entire sports media...do this every single day. :shrug:

But I guess since Serena is now kicking Ferderer's ass, it's suddenly in bad taste or not cool.

DAFUQ out with that sheeet! :tape:

RVD
Sep 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
See, you blew right there.

Prior to that, your argument was legit - I disagreed with it - but it was legit. But anyone looking at Serena's effort towards fitness and game evolution over the last three years who says she's "disinterested" sounds, at best, like they're making a specious argument or, at worst, is a TROLLING ASS.It's pretty damn clear what that poster is. http://www.tennisforum.com/images/smilies/oh.gif.pagespeed.ce.Fkw5SVsQ8c.gif

Wolmer
Sep 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM
For all trolls in this thread:

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/b9225cf41fa7afb179903b4be781a0a89a729d3.gif

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q118/cw2oo7/gifs/Untitled-103.gif

Wolmer
Sep 8th, 2014, 05:55 PM
The OP need to http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/6f025b0404a37fee7580b6bf4df64178c82b9dc.gif the stats. Serena now has 18 while Federer has 17. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
From 1999-2003 Serena was nearing her young peak, while Federer had a lot of promise, but no results yet.
at the end of 2003:
Serena - 6
Federer -1

From 2004-2010, Federer took over while Serena was injured and dealt with depression and family crises.
at the end of 2010:
Serena - 13 (+7)
Federer - 16 (+15)

But since Serena's return from her Pulmonary Embolism, she's been re-born, while Federer has been caught and surpassed by his younger contemporaries.
since 2011:
Serena - 18 (+5)
Federer - 17 (+1)

I can't see Federer passing Serena again, while I can see Serena easily winning 3-4 more in the next 3 years.

I can't imagine that she'd play longer than 2016, but if she does, Court's total could very much be in her rear-view mirror.

Of note:
Federer reached 22 major finals from 2004-2010. Since then, 2 (and only 1 in the past 2 years).

Serena has reached at least 1 major final every year 2001 (except 2006) and has never gone more than 8 majors without reaching a final in her ENTIRE CAREER.

Wolmer
Sep 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM
People love to talk trash abt wta. But Federer had a way weak era too. I love Rodicki but dont come to me and say he was a real challenge. Safin was a headcase. A total waste of talent for me. Hewit? hahahha Also Serena won 4 slams in a row with REAL competition, something Federer NEVER did.

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 8th, 2014, 06:40 PM
People love to talk trash abt wta. But Federer had a way weak era too. I love Rodicki but dont come to me and say he was a real challenge. Safin was a headcase. A total waste of talent for me. Hewit? hahahha Also Serena won 4 slams in a row with REAL competition, something Federer did.

This.

Federer beat: Philippoussis, Safin, Roddick, Gonzalez, Soderling, Hewitt, Murray, and Baghdatis for 13 of his 17 majors. Those 8 players combined, won 7 majors.

He also beat an Old Agassi in 2005, a Nadal who couldn't play on grass in 2006/2007, and a young Djokovic in 2007.

Where were his rivals?

Serena beat

Hingis (was ranked #1) (had won 5 majors)
Venus [x6] (had been ranked #1) (had won at least 4 majors)
Davenport (was ranked #1) (had won 3 majors)
Sharapova [x2] (had been ranked #1) (had won at least 2 majors)
Jankovic
Safina
Henin (had been ranked #1) (had won 7 majors)
Zvonareva
Radwanska
Azarenka [x2] (had been ranked #1) (had won 1 at least major)
Wozniacki (had been ranked #1)

All of which have been ranked #2 or higher.
5 of which have won at least 3 majors or more.

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2014, 06:41 PM
From 1999-2003 Serena was nearing her young peak, while Federer had a lot of promise, but no results yet.
at the end of 2003:
Serena - 6
Federer -1

From 2004-2010, Federer took over while Serena was injured and dealt with depression and family crises.
at the end of 2010:
Serena - 13 (+7)
Federer - 16 (+15)

But since Serena's return from her Pulmonary Embolism, she's been re-born, while Federer has been caught and surpassed by his younger contemporaries.
since 2011:
Serena - 18 (+5)
Federer - 17 (+1)

I can't see Federer passing Serena again, while I can see Serena easily winning 3-4 more in the next 3 years.

I can't imagine that she'd play longer than 2016, but if she does, Court's total could very much be in her rear-view mirror.

Of note:
Federer reached 22 major finals from 2004-2010. Since then, 2 (and only 1 in the past 2 years).

Serena has reached at least 1 major final every year 2001 (except 2006) and has never gone more than 8 majors without reaching a final in her ENTIRE CAREER.

:eek: :worship:

ivanban
Sep 8th, 2014, 06:53 PM
This.

Federer beat: Philippoussis, Safin, Roddick, Gonzalez, Soderling, Hewitt, Murray, and Baghdatis for 13 of his 17 majors. Those 8 players combined, won 7 majors.

He also beat an Old Agassi in 2005, a Nadal who couldn't play on grass in 2006/2007, and a young Djokovic in 2007.

Please don't tell that to Fed stans :secret:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Don't let MTF Federer stans read this.
They are already in deep depression due tothe embarrassment he suffered at the hands of both Monfils and Cilic.
Anybody who watched the Monfils match is not surprised Federer lost pretty easily to Cilic.

You should seen how Federer fans were behaving in MTF during the Monfils match.
It was disgraceful, you would have thought Monfils was the devil incarnate or anti-Christ.
They could not bear Monfils being on the same court as Federer.

PushingtoHeaven
Sep 8th, 2014, 07:17 PM
You would think the Federer stans had enough grace to be quiet and no longer try to question this topic but no :lol:

RVD
Sep 8th, 2014, 07:18 PM
People love to talk trash abt wta. But Federer had a way weak era too. I love Rodicki but dont come to me and say he was a real challenge. Safin was a headcase. A total waste of talent for me. Hewit? hahahha Also Serena won 4 slams in a row with REAL competition, something Federer NEVER did.Word.
Facts are facts. :shrug:

I_CLAUDIA_1961
Sep 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Both Fed and Serena are in the twilight of their careers, and I don't see either playing past Rio 2016--that's if both can physically hang in there the next few years.

As for Fed, his situation is far different than Serena's in that even though she'll be 33 in a few weeks, she's still as of September 8th, 2014 the best player in the WTA. That will change sooner rather than later, but as of now Serena has more of a say so on her racket as to IF she wins #19. Roger's still a very fine top-ranked player but he's not the best player in the ATP. He had a golden opportunity to go for his 18th but came up short. Or did he REALLY have a chance @ 18? Yes, Rafa was out, Nole is still a bit hung over from his wedding and ran into Kei, Andy is trying to work his way back into fitness and Stan is in a slump after winning his first slam. Roger was on the ropes to Gael, but unfortunately Gael now 28 has no coach and no 'real' interest in tennis--never has although extremely talented. Roger got lucky vs Gael, But I had a feeling that Cilic would get him next round and he did, because Roger's play vs Gael was so shoddy. Honestly though while I saw Cilic beating Roger, I didn't think he'd take him apart like he did. Roger in addition to losing to most of the top-ranked players is now losing to more lower-ranked players. Serena's had issues this year losing to a few lower-ranked players and with bombing out of slams early, but she emotionally got it together and redeemed herself vs the rest of the field at the US Open by WINNING it, and she also at the same time has gotten control of her nerves and winning #18 out of the way, AND Serena will more than likely catch Hingis in the weeks @ category AND be #1 for a while longer--somewhat depending upon what Maria/Simona do the rest of the year I believe. BIG caveat--Serena somehow has to stay healthy, but one thing we know is that she has the motivation to go after 19 and pass Chris/Martina since 18 is in the books. Serena's health and schedule and possibly other players in 2015 will play a huge part in how a possible #19 unfolds.

So to wrap it up as of September 8th 2014 for both, Serena's still the #1 gun-slinger in the WTA AND she's gotten past 18/nerves and has secured her #1 ranking for a while, and she said she's now looking to winning #19 and has more of a say so of that on HER racket than Roger. Health/schedule/bit of luck will tell he tale in 2015 for Serena. Roger's ranked #3 in the ATP, but one of his best chances to win #18 got away @ this year's US Open--or did it? :lol:. Roger has a really tricky landscape in the ATP to navigate if he's going to win #18. As far as I know, Rafa will be back, Nole will incorporate being a married dad into his tennis-life, Andy will improve his health, Stan will get past his slump, and of course all of the other players like Tsonga, and now Cilic know they can beat Roger. Kei's prospects also seem on the upswing as well. Roger's path to 18 is going to be very difficult unless he gets another huge piece of luck--a draw falling apart again--or a great draw during the AO Open slam-time. We'll see IF Roger like Serena can get to 18 but he's going to have to have a great deal of luck to get there because him winning a slam is no longer solely on his racket.

Wolmer
Sep 8th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I still remember the way Guga kicked Fed ass RG04. That was brilliant. One of the top5 matches i have ever seen from Kuerten

RVD
Sep 8th, 2014, 08:00 PM
You would think the Federer stans had enough grace to be quiet and no longer try to question this topic but no :lol:Especially since their boy got pummeled only a couple days ago. :lol::lol::lol:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2014, 08:04 PM
On think is for sure, Federer will never catch Serena in slam doubles(13), mixed-doubles(2), Olympic doubles (3).

Alla Luce
Sep 8th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I can't a path to 18 slams for Federer. Serena on the other hand can still compete with the younger generation as she proved in New York.

FreeSpiritRebell
Sep 8th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I never understood this comparison

He can't win slams anymore while she's in her greatest form;);)

BloodyMary
Sep 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Federer had his best chance for #18 here and he blew it. He played a very mediocre game throughout the tournament and eventually got punished for it by a capable player. Since there are many competent players to challenge him compared to the early-mid 2000s, I don't see him getting 18 anytime soon, if at all. Can't say I'm displeased with that though, considering how arrogant he really is behind his 'classy Swiss gentleman' persona. Serena on the other hand has maintained an impressive record against numerous top-notch players since she's started.

RVD
Sep 8th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Federer had his best chance for #18 here and he blew it. He played a very mediocre game throughout the tournament and eventually got punished for it by a capable player. Since there are many competent players to challenge him compared to the early-mid 2000s, I don't see him getting 18 anytime soon, if at all. Can't say I'm displeased with that though, considering how arrogant he really is behind his 'classy Swiss gentleman' persona. Serena on the other hand has maintained an impressive record against numerous top-notch players since she's started.:worship::worship:
And thank you for not falling for Mr. Facade's ruse. :cool:

bobcat
Sep 8th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Maybe we can make this a 3 way poll of Serena vs Fed vs the Bryans.

Roookie
Sep 8th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Serena no question. WTA is a joke. But a very funny one :lol:

sashay
Sep 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Well I'm almost 100% sure that Serena will end up with more than 18. I'm having a hard time envisioning Federer getting to 18. This USopen was his for the taking, his kyptonite wasn't there and Nole and Murray was on the other side of the draw. Without question he should've reached at least the finals but instead he was steamrolled during his SF match. It wasn't even a competitive scoreline. It's not impossible for him to win another slam just not plausible.

crescentmoon
Sep 8th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Serena

Miss Amor
Sep 8th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Serena no question. WTA is a joke. But a very funny one :lol:

Cilic is about to be a slam champion by beating Nishikori (lol), and you are calling the WTA a joke?

Brisa
Sep 8th, 2014, 11:42 PM
It's the norm that WTA have more slams than ATP. No one has 18 on the ATP, let alone 22 or 24.

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 10th, 2014, 07:20 AM

https://33.media.tumblr.com/13b7205922a2ff025042e2002db5ef66/tumblr_nbk0m4q7Ur1tv56dmo6_250.gifhttps://38.media.tumblr.com/56aa699057e131b31c85c9dfa1f5dc46/tumblr_nbk03sL7Ze1tv56dmo4_250.gif

JanNYC
Sep 10th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Serena b/c her winning is still very much on her racket (and in her head)...Fed has to have certain things fall beautifully into place for him to win now...after seeing this year's USO draw I really thought if he were to captured #18 it would be there, but after that match against Clownfils my mother lokked at me and said Cilic will soundly beat Federer...I couldn't believe how convinced she was that Fed would lose to Marin, but she was so damn right...and truly i'm happy Serena didn't have to share winning #18 with Federer...i've never really been a Federer fan, though i've always appreciated his game...I think it's the fact that he is supremely arrogant, but those in tennis love to paint a narrative that he is so damn classy...it's not the arrogance I have a problem with b/c I like my greats to be a bit arrogant, it's that they love to act as though his ass isn't arrogant lol

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 10th, 2014, 01:43 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/13b7205922a2ff025042e2002db5ef66/tumblr_nbk0m4q7Ur1tv56dmo6_250.gifhttps://38.media.tumblr.com/56aa699057e131b31c85c9dfa1f5dc46/tumblr_nbk03sL7Ze1tv56dmo4_250.gif

:rolls:

timafi
Sep 10th, 2014, 01:52 PM
the wta is a joke and Roger would bagel Serena and yes Serena will end with more slams and she has ZERO competition anymore

F1yer
Sep 10th, 2014, 01:57 PM
^ I dont defend Serena often but its not like Federer won anything worthwhile when he had any decent comeptition.

Serena atleast has Sharapova who provides some face saving rivalry

Serenita
Sep 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
the wta is a joke and Roger would bagel Serena and yes Serena will end with more slams and she has ZERO competition anymore

Yeah sure and the likes of Roddick/Safin / Hewitt are real and dangerous competition. Serena Won slams in the WTA strongest era and oops yes she's still winning. :wavey:Unlike Olderer.
The joke is being thoroughly dominated by your Rival ( Nadal) Thats one record he will never have also.:lol:

Roookie
Sep 10th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Cilic is about to be a slam champion by beating Nishikori (lol), and you are calling the WTA a joke?

Pls. Makarova and Peng in slams semis? :tape: Plus the quality of the WTA final was one of the worst in recent memory.

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 10th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Bitter tears.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpsfvaryb81qakh43o1_500.gif

bandabou
Sep 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Whooopsss...

SERVivor
Sep 10th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Of course the top men could beat the top women. But, that's true in any sport. You have to analyze this in a relative way.. I wouldn't say Serena has "zero completion." There are some very good WTA players like Sharapova, Halep, Kvitova. Li Na was up there, but shis is apparently close to done now. The ATP has Djokovic and Nadal though, and some grandslam winners and contenders in their prime like Cilic, Wawrinka and Nishikori. So I believe the ATP competition is tougher, even in a relative way. I don't think Federer will win any more slams, Serena, I believe, will win a few more.

Couver
Sep 10th, 2014, 04:55 PM

:tears: :lol:

SERVivor
Sep 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Pls. Makarova and Peng in slams semis? :tape: Plus the quality of the WTA final was one of the worst in recent memory.

Correct. Nishikori and Cilic had to beat the #1 and #2 seeds to get to the final. Having new grandslam champions like Wawrinka and Cilic means more players are competitive and speaks to health, not weakness of the ATP.

RVD
Sep 10th, 2014, 05:44 PM
the wta is a joke and Roger would bagel Serena and yes Serena will end with more slams and she has ZERO competition anymoreI don't even understand this post.

I mean, it makes ZERO sense.

Should Serena now challenge Mr. Facade since the WTA is a "joke"?
What a bunch of rubbish!

Why the hell are you even interested in the WTA at all?
Seems we've discovered another fan of mediocrity. :facepalm:

FreeSpiritRebell
Sep 10th, 2014, 05:46 PM
No matter how many titles Federer won, I can't help falling asleep while watching him playing

On the other hand, Serena makes you live her game

eDonkey
Sep 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

Correct. Nishikori and Cilic had to beat the #1 and #2 seeds to get to the final. Having new grandslam champions like Wawrinka and Cilic means more players are competitive and speaks to health, not weakness of the ATP.
I'm sorry, but Peng did beat the highest seeded player in her section. Makarova didn't have to play the highest seed in her section (whom she beat some weeks before), but she got wins over a current top 10 player and a recent 2-time slam champ. It is really not as weak as some are trying to convince us. :shrug:

Couver
Sep 10th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry, but Peng did beat the highest seeded player in her section. Makarova didn't have to play the highest seed in her section (whom she beat some weeks before), but she got wins over a current top 10 player and a recent 2-time slam champ. It is really not as weak as some are trying to convince us. :shrug:

Exactly. And of course when a lower ranked player pushes or beats a higher ranked player on the ATP we hear about the depth in men's tennis. But when that happens on the WTA it's because the tour is weak or inferior :rolleyes:

Mind you most of the people suddenly rushing to the ATP's defence are known Serena haters who are desperate to try and diminish her success now that she's passed Federer.

RFed
Sep 10th, 2014, 08:44 PM
No matter how many titles Federer won, I can't help falling asleep while watching him playing

On the other hand, Serena makes you live her game

:help::confused::silly:

PushingtoHeaven
Sep 10th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Why is this thread not closed?!
Serena already has more slams, Fed is finished. He should be more worried about Nadal passing him

RVD
Sep 10th, 2014, 10:08 PM

On the other hand, Serena makes you live her gameThis sooooo much.

TennisPhan
Sep 10th, 2014, 10:38 PM

peak Serena wins 6 games at least in a best of 5 sets match vs Fed