PDA

View Full Version : How do you solve a problem like Serena?

calico_101
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Seriously, apart from breaking her legs or poisoning her, what can the other girls to give her trouble? Obviously Serena is bigger and stronger than the rest of the field but tennis is a game where brains can beat brawn. I thought today that she looked vulnerable on her backhand, especially the higher bouncing balls. Clijsters backhand seems to bother her. As well, maybe move her side to side before coming in. Any other (legal) ideas?

MegaDethly
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
She isn't stronger than Venus, but Venus is lost and how can we find her if she can't find herself.

Anyway, in answer to your question, stick a fork in it.

Ellery
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
How do you solve a problem like Maria? :inlove:

I thought this was going to be a rewritten version of the song from the Sound of Music :tears:

madmax
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Maria was very close from "solving" her, if not for numerous chokes on setpoints and breakpoints...and 19 aces from Williams, of course

tennnisfannn
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Serena like all players is beatable but in a slam (when she is playing well) you need a little help like the hand, marianna alves and footfault, when she is not she still loses to routinely. Sometimes it takes playing the heninisque uso 08 level.

Diesel
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Serena has the complete package. Intelligence and strength thank you. What part of her legacy can't you understand?

gmokb
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:54 PM
Seriously, apart from breaking her legs or poisoning her, what can the other girls to give her trouble? Obviously Serena is bigger and stronger than the rest of the field but tennis is a game where brains can beat brawn. I thought today that she looked vulnerable on her backhand, especially the higher bouncing balls. Clijsters backhand seems to bother her. As well, maybe move her side to side before coming in. Any other (legal) ideas?

Oh shut the hell up amd go crawl under your rock:mad: She is not the biggest on the tour, I have seen others and they are losers. Besides, she did not muscle out Vera, she played superb tennis to win, so just shut the hell up:mad:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
:lol:

Temperenka
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
It takes an incredible effort before the QF. Once she gets to the quarters (aside from the French), she just seems like a different player. So in my opinion, if Serena is going to lose at the USO, AO, or Wimbledon, it's going to take an extraordinary effort by someone in the first week.

mauresmofan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I think Navratilova pointed something out in the studio that might throw Serena for a while - she said chip and charge on the second serve but nobody is doing that since Mauresmo left - Marinez Sanchez probably would have had she entered and played Serena but everyone else seems to play the exact same strategy against Serena and it clearly doesn't work. If you can draw her into enough long rallies that'd possibly take the sting out of her serve for a moment or 2 or at least throw her off her rhythm. The key to Serenas game is that serve so if you can somehow get her to lose rhythm on it or get enough first serves back then maybe you can have a shot at her. it is an amazing strength in her game and to have that in your back pocket everytime you step on court must feel terrific and give you such confidence.

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
She isn't stronger than Venus, but Venus is lost and how can we find her if she can't find herself.

Anyway, in answer to your question, stick a fork in it.

In terms of physical strength, Venus isn't even in the same league as Serena.

silverwhite
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Maria was very close from "solving" her, if not for numerous chokes on setpoints and breakpoints...and 19 aces from Williams, of course

Winning 1 set = "solving" Serena :worship:

shega
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Agressivity to the max. Something like Vaidisova in her past days. That's how you get close, or how you finish off Serena Williams.

MegaDethly
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
In terms of physical strength, Venus isn't even in the same league as Serena.

Well, they're tennis players now consider this, Venus hits the serve harder, she also hits harder off both wings. This is what the threadstarter was talking about when it said Serena is stronger than 'all the other girls'.

Now unless you've personally wrestled with the sisters in a UFC ring you have no other grounds on which to claim Serena is stronger than Venus. That information would be conpletely irrelevant anyway because the sisters are tennis players and Venus simply hits the ball harder.

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Some haters have suggested she should join the ATP, because she is too strong for the WTA.

Vikapower
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:31 PM

You first need a girl who moves reasonably good. (Kim)
You secondly need someone that serves reasonably well to not be troubled. (Li Na, Petra)
Someone that has a GAMEPLAN other than ballbashing which consists of the use of angles, depth, variations in pace etc... (more or less Petra)
Someone whose not afraid of provoking at the net. (Petra)
Someone who has better returning tactics than just trying to hit 121mph balls in half volley which is completely ridiculous. (Petra)
A girl who has sufficient control over spins especially the slice which is a power killer e.g Federer (Pironkova)

Petra Kvitova at some instance seemed to be that girl but her inexperience didn't help her. I guess Petra's serve, net play, flat shots combined with Pironkova's variety and playbook would be an intersting mix.

J.Bravo
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
She's not a problem, she's a blessing!

The Witch-king
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
hold ya serve

gmokb
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM

For us fans but for others she is a headache that they can't get rid off:lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
You secondly need someone that serves reasonably well to not be troubled. (Li Na, Petra)
Someone that has a GAMEPLAN other than ballbashing which consists of the use of angles, depth, variations in pace etc... (more or less Petra)
Someone who has better returning tactics than just trying to hit 121mph balls in half volley which is completely ridiculous. (Petra)
A girl who has sufficient control over spins especially the slice which is a power killer e.g Federer (Pironkova)

Petra Kvitova at some instance seemed to be that girl but her inexperience didn't help her. I guess Petra's serve, net play, flat shots combined with Pironkova's variety and playbook would be an intersting mix.

did you honestly put those two name together :spit: you must really hate serena

and the woman who comes closest to that is jh but alas she STILL has a losing h-2-h to serena and it's now 13>7 :lol:

Stamp Paid
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
See Jennifer Capriati, Jelena Jankovic, Venus Williams, Elena Dementieva, etc.
why are you fools acting like Serena has swept the field in dominant fashion all year? Shes won 2 titles this year, and girls have way more chances off of her serve on clay and hardcourts.
Drama queens.

jefrilibra
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
You dont solve. You just surrender. It's that simple!

Vikapower
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
did you honestly put those two name together :spit: you must really hate serena and the woman who comes closest to that is jh but alas she STILL has a losing h-2-h to serena and it's now 13>7 :lol:
:lol: Should I ban myself for such an :eek: ? :lol: Yes I forgot Justine but her height doesn't really advantage her serve moreover it depends on which Justine were talking about because Justine 2010. :help:

Serenita
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM

Not really, remember AO10 Azarenka match;).

Human Nature
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM

All those qualities in just ONE player just to beat ONE another player who, according to you cant run , cant hit a ball , cant hit a volley , cant hit a drop shot , cant have any grounstrokes , just NOTHING other than her serve which is not even (still according to you ) THAT great technically speaking ... .

I would have thought that just an average player with average grounstrokes with no need to have more weapons would have beaten her pretty easily regarding all her weaknesses , but seem to me that your are describing THE PERFECT PLAYER to beat serena .

I find you a bit contradictory ...

Amalgamate
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM

:confused: Serena won in straights. Maria didn't even get a set!

Gdsimmons
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:17 PM

:worship::worship:

Serendy Willick
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:22 PM
People get real. Serena isnt dominating the tour let her enjoy her wins.

Serena y Monica
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM

Actually Serena is neither bigger or stronger than the other girls. You and those like you are want to say this because it puts an asterist by her accomplishments. The truth however is that in terms of height Serena is average...and in terms of strength unless we have them do presses we can't know...what I do know is that several players hit their groundies as hard as if not harder than Serena. Now to ur other aspersion...in this scenario of yours where brain beats brawn you seem to be casting Serena as the brawn when clearly her tennis IQ is superior to all of her contemperaries...exemplified by her ability to muster the nerve to hold serve, change up pace, and last but certainly not least choose the correct shot under pressure. Now that we have gotten that straight...Catch her on an off day and play ur best tennis. Serena is very human therefore beatable.

Serendy Willick
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Actually Serena is neither bigger or stronger than the other girls. You and those like you are want to say this because it puts an asterist by her accomplishments. The truth however is that in terms of height Serena is average...and in terms of strength unless we have them do presses we can't know...what I do know is that several players hit their groundies as hard as if not harder than Serena. Now to ur other aspersion...in this scenario of yours where brain beats brawn you seem to be casting Serena as the brawn when clearly her tennis IQ is superior to all of her contemperaries...exemplified by her ability to muster the nerve to hold serve, change up pace, and last but certainly not least choose the correct shot under pressure. Now that we have gotten that straight...Catch her on an off day and play ur best tennis. Serena is very human therefore beatable.

Thank you, Thank you. I can name you a good five players that hit the ball harder than Serena 1. Seles, 2. Pierce 3.Lucic 4. Capriati 5. Rezai.

Volcana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Seriously, apart from breaking her legs or poisoning her, what can the other girls to give her trouble? Obviously Serena is bigger and stronger than the rest of the field but tennis is a game where brains can beat brawn.First of all, subtract all the players who's coaches do their thinking for them. :)

Seriously....

1) Have a big service game yourself. Serena is one of the top five service-returners in the game. She can't be coasting on your serve. Kvitova and Sharapova both showed that Serena can be played even, no matter how dominant she is when SHE serves.

2) Be VERY reactive side-to-side. Her serve is unreadable, so be ready to move.

3) Early racket preparation

4) Accept momentary failure. She gonna ace you. She will hit service winners. Just make sure that what you DO return isn't weak.

Serena isn't unbeatable. But she's the best server, one of the best returners, and at least top five in ground-stroke exchanges. Her volleying is pedestrian, but nobody seems willing to risk forcing her to go to net.

silverwhite
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
:confused: Serena won in straights. Maria didn't even get a set!

He was whining about the chances Maria had to win a set so I'm saying that even if she had, it wouldn't have meant she had "solved" Serena

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:42 PM

not the best analysis...... or at least the selection of those in parenthesis is >_>

HippityHop
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
See Jennifer Capriati, Jelena Jankovic, Venus Williams, Elena Dementieva, etc.
why are you fools acting like Serena has swept the field in dominant fashion all year? Shes won 2 titles this year, and girls have way more chances off of her serve on clay and hardcourts.
Drama queens.

Truth. She's only won two teeny tiny itsy bitsy insignificant titles this year. :angel:

BlameSerena
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Serena has the complete package. Intelligence and strength thank you. What part of her legacy can't you understand?

They can't understand any part of it. It's even to the point where she's being scorned for knowing how to serve under pressure :tape: (and despite that she still had a low second serve %). Serena showed these two weeks that she has more than serve, more than power, but as you say, the complete package.

Vikapower
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I would have thought that just an average player with average grounstrokes with no need to have more weapons would have beaten her pretty easily regarding all her weaknesses, but seem to me that your are describing THE PERFECT PLAYER to beat serena . I find you a bit contradictory ...
That's where the serve comes into play. :p Hitting 89+ aces and 89+ service winners doesn't really expose your other weaknesses. Some girls where able to like Petra and Maria but the first was too inexperienced and the second is just getting back to her best. :wavey:

rjd1111
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:08 PM
They could retire.

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM

Lol @ this ridiculous Kvitova hype. She will bomb out early in the USO. Mark my words.

rjd1111
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
How do you solve a problem like Maria? :inlove:

I thought this was going to be a rewritten version of the song from the Sound of Music :tears:

Let her play Serena

rjd1111
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think Navratilova pointed something out in the studio that might throw Serena for a while - she said chip and charge on the second serve but nobody is doing that since Mauresmo left - Marinez Sanchez probably would have had she entered and played Serena but everyone else seems to play the exact same strategy against Serena and it clearly doesn't work. If you can draw her into enough long rallies that'd possibly take the sting out of her serve for a moment or 2 or at least throw her off her rhythm. The key to Serenas game is that serve so if you can somehow get her to lose rhythm on it or get enough first serves back then maybe you can have a shot at her. it is an amazing strength in her game and to have that in your back pocket everytime you step on court must feel terrific and give you such confidence.

Wish them all good luck with that.

Nav did coach Petra in the semis. Didn't work out to well.

rjd1111
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM

What set was that?

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I didnt know Serena was a "PROBLEM"...but anyway....I think the only thing that can beat a determined, fit and healthy Serena is a determined fit, and healthy Venus. I remember when Venus was so fearly and played as if she had nothing to loose, she would be the hardest person to beat moreso than Serena. But I just don't see too many girls other than her sister than can handle Serena when she's 100....matter fact I dont see any. When Serena is out of shape, sluggist, and rusty....she gets frustrated...and is beatable. But when she's on, I dont think there is pretty much anything you can do....

cellophane
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
You need to be an outstanding returner first and foremost...you need to be able to defend and also be aggressive yourself when necessary...you also need at least a semidecent serve. Or hope for an off day with the serve, which rarely happens at Wimbledon. But really at Wimbledon so few people can return Serena's serve :shrug:

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Just don't play her on grass or at the Oz open. Those surfaces agree too good with her serve and then that's it. When the greatest shot in tennis right now is working well, then there's no much you can do.

Last yea 72 aces, we thought that was impressive..then she comes out and 89!! :eek: aces...as woman?! :worship:

Rome
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM

Its not like Maria was killing Serena off the ground. It was Maria serve doing most of the work. Becauae Maria won maybe 52%-55% of the rallies. Also Serena let up when she got that break in the first set and thats what made the match close.

calico_101
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM
To the people that are taking offence at this thread - get over yourselves. Serena is clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the field right now and it is a compliment to her game that there should be a thread to discuss what game plan might throw her. That for me is the beauty of tennis.

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Pray that Venus is healthy and playing well.

The Dawntreader
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Serena is raising the gauntlet again, mentally.

It's not even a question of 'who has the shots to beat Serena' anymore. It's about who can sustain an emotional level AIDED by actual skill and ability. Right now, there's noone better at doing that then Serena.

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
The thing with Serena is...she's mentally solid right now. Winning the easy sets, winning the close sets..shows she's clutch!

cellophane
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm a little surprised Serena hasn't done even more damage with the serve at the US Open

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I'm a little surprised Serena hasn't done even more damage with the serve at the US Open

SHe doesn't serve as well at the FO or the USO as she does at the AO or Wimbledon. Simple as that. I remember in her match against Kuznetsova at the FO last year, she was up a break, serving at 40-0 on her serve. She didn't get a single first serve in after that, and was broken. I've seen her go off the rails like that at the USO as well. That would NEVER happen at Wimbledon or the AO, imo.

Tennisstar86
Get a retun game. Look at the girls who HAVE beaten Serena at slams (not RG....cause lets face it Serena keeps choking there) Clijsters Us Open 2009 great return game... Venus Wimbledon 2008.... Knows Serena's serve like the back of her hand. Jankovic Ao 2008/ challenge Serena in the US open final She for sure cant serve, but shes use to scrambling so even though her return game isnt the best as long as she gets the return in play shes got a chance....

Many think the other girls need serves. I'm not sure about that, cause regardless Serena is gonna serve well. They'll still have all the pressure in the world to hold serve.

Tennisstar86
Get a retun game. Look at the girls who HAVE beaten Serena at slams (not RG....cause lets face it Serena keeps choking there) Clijsters Us Open 2009 great return game... Venus Wimbledon 2008.... Knows Serena's serve like the back of her hand. Jankovic Ao 2008/ challenge Serena in the US open final She for sure cant serve, but shes use to scrambling so even though her return game isnt the best as long as she gets the return in play shes got a chance....

Many think the other girls need serves. I'm not sure about that, cause regardless Serena is gonna serve well. They'll still have all the pressure in the world to hold serve.

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Well, they're tennis players now consider this, Venus hits the serve harder, she also hits harder off both wings. This is what the threadstarter was talking about when it said Serena is stronger than 'all the other girls'.

Now unless you've personally wrestled with the sisters in a UFC ring you have no other grounds on which to claim Serena is stronger than Venus. That information would be conpletely irrelevant anyway because the sisters are tennis players and Venus simply hits the ball harder.

Well yea, she also hits way more doubles and can't pick spots nearly as well. I'm sure Serena could hit in the high 120's regularly if she wanted to. it's just not a winning strategy. You don't see Roddick laying down 140 mph bombs with any regularity, even though he can. The same principle applies to their groundtsrokes.

Pace of shot is no way to measure strength anyway. Is Rezai stronger than Stosur?

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think, although she has had good serve for some time now, she has now focussed on on the bell and whistle of what makes it so deadly in this Wimbledon.

Power/placement/out-wide/kick server/flat.
The last four the elements she sharpened when she went home following her loss to Stosur

Black Mamba.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
Serena is raising the gauntlet again, mentally.

It's not even a question of 'who has the shots to beat Serena' anymore. It's about who can sustain an emotional level AIDED by actual skill and ability. Right now, there's noone better at doing that then Serena.

\Thread:

Cakeisgood
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
If she continues to serve like this, she's unstoppable. While the majority of her game has wilted somewhat, her serve has improved IMMENSELY (which is saying a lot considering how good it was before).

Unfortunately however, to beat Serena, you must have a great return game. This of course is impossible if she's acing you all over the place. But if she's having an "off" day in terms of her serve, we've seen what great returners like JJ and Lena D can do.

PhilePhile
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM

The presumption based on Serena's physical attributes is their downfall. That's their problem!

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
If she continues to serve like this, she's unstoppable. While the majority of her game has wilted somewhat, her serve has improved IMMENSELY (which is saying a lot considering how good it was before).

Unfortunately however, to beat Serena, you must have a great return game. This of course is impossible if she's acing you all over the place. But if she's having an "off" day in terms of her serve, we've seen what great returners like JJ and Lena D can do.
No, it is not impossible to read Serena's serve and return.
Clijsters can do it, Lena D has been able to do it.
Even Maria, in the first set, was very effective in the add return.

The new thing is, she has sharpened some of the components of serve, that has made it difficult to consistently return it, because there are so many variances to it and the pressure to keep up all those element can be overwheling as Vera stated in her interview.

Today, Vera seem to be able t read it for the first few game, but she could not sustain the pressure of the variety she has added after RG, while the toss has remained the same despite the variation in the landing, velocity and placement.

This is where the new challenge is now.
And the 2 best returners against Serena may have to catch up to this as well.

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM

Impressive indeed..thought '02-'03 couldn't be topped serving wise by Serena, but these recent stretch is AMAZING! Not just the aces, so many serves not even put back in play..

cellophane
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
SHe doesn't serve as well at the FO or the USO as she does at the AO or Wimbledon. Simple as that. I remember in her match against Kuznetsova at the FO last year, she was up a break, serving at 40-0 on her serve. She didn't get a single first serve in after that, and was broken. I've seen her go off the rails like that at the USO as well. That would NEVER happen at Wimbledon or the AO, imo.

Why though? I guess every time she's come to the us open in recent years, she was either injured or had layoffs. Last year in her match with Kim she didn't serve great, although Kim is an outstanding returner as well.

She can obviously serve amazing at the US Open (2001-2) We'll see if she can serve as well this year

Jakeev
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM
At least at this year's Wimbledon I don't think anyone had a real shot at Serena. But like many have said, a player knows that when Serena is off her game, she is definitely beatable. Will have to see how she holds up during the U.S. Open Series.

It does seem though she might carry her success over this year.

StephenUK
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
It's easy:

1. Play her on red clay. She hasn't won an event on that surface in 8 years.

2. Play her in a regular WTA event. She hasn't won of those(except for the Champs) in 2 years.

3. She has only won 1 US Open snce 2002.

That really only leaves the Australian Open and Wimbledon where Serena can be considered much of a problem at all!:lol:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
It's easy:

1. Play her on red clay. She hasn't won an event on that surface in 8 years.

2. Play her in a regular WTA event. She hasn't won of those(except for the Champs) in 2 years.

3. She has only won 1 US Open snce 2002.

That really only leaves the Australian Open and Wimbledon where Serena can be considered much of a problem at all!:lol:
Except she's #1 and will be for a while and has 13 slams. :lol:

And, I believe, becoming #1 and winning slams are the two most important goals for players, so..., "problem" NOT solved.

Mary Cherry.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Seriously, apart from breaking her legs or poisoning her, what can the other girls to give her trouble?

Anabolic steroids.

Any other (legal) ideas?

Damn.

StephenUK
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Except she's #1 and will be for a while and has 13 slams. :lol:

And, I believe, becoming #1 and winning slams are the two most important goals for players, so..., "problem" NOT solved.

Yes but this thread gives the impression that Serena is unbeatable when she has only won 2 tournaments this year. She's not Martina Navratilova of 1983 who lost 1 match the entire year. You just avoid her at these two events and she's a doddle, she's no better than Vera Zvonareva really.

1jackson2001
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Yes but this thread gives the impression that Serena is unbeatable when she has only won 2 tournaments this year. She's not Martina Navratilova of 1983 who lost 1 match the entire year. You just avoid her at these two events and she's a doddle, she's no better than Vera Zvonareva really.
It's true. Serena isn't THAT good that she can consistently bring it to the smaller events. She can only bring the "good stuff" a few weeks each year, and she saves it for the slams (good for her). She can't consistently dominate like some of the past greats...she just pales in comparison by far. I even like Serena but it's the truth.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
...this thread gives the impression that Serena is unbeatable...
Had to stop right there. Clearly, you only see what you WANT to see.

Btw, Are you and Dsanders related?

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
Serena CAN win the USO this year! She has the drive, esp. after last year's meltdown. Regardless of that, she has the drive no matter what.