PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Lindsay Davenport commentate on the final...?

StephenUK
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
..instead of that useless Tracy Austin!!

mauresmofan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'm not a fan of Tracey but Johnny Mac needs to remember that double faults are not called aces and 40-5 is not a score in tennis - he made Tracey bearable this time. Some people don't get that sometimes it's nice to just listen to the sound of the ball being hit and the reaction of the crowd.

Wintermute
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Lindsay was heading to the airport to catch a plane home.

edificio
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I would have preferred Lindsay.

Tracy not only talks through her nose, but she somehow manages to have a lisp at the same time. Drove me nuts. But I chose to go with Johnny Mac, Brit guy, and Tracy over Ted "gossiphound" Robinson and Mary "big babe" Carillo.

I'm not a fan of Tracey but Johnny Mac needs to remember that double faults are not called aces and 40-5 is not a score in tennis - he made Tracey bearable this time. Some people don't get that sometimes it's nice to just listen to the sound of the ball being hit and the reaction of the crowd.

Yeah, he had a slip of the tongue on that, calling a DF an ace, but he's nearly an old man. :) Hey, he's no Cliffy. I'm not sure Cliff knows which is Serena and which Venus. (They all talk way too much.)

MegaDethly
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Because everything about the BBCs coverage of Wimbledon sucks.

mauresmofan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, he had a slip of the tongue on that, calling a DF an ace, but he's nearly an old man. :) Hey, he's no Cliffy. I'm not sure Cliff knows which is Serena and which Venus. (They all talk way too much.)

i would have let him away with it but he actually said it twice both times after double faults. Don't know if you recorded the match but if you did have a listen out for it when watching again.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 4th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Lindsay was heading to the airport to catch a plane home.

Lindsay's playing a world team tennis match in Springfield on 5th or 6th July. :)

bobcat
Jul 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm not a fan of Tracey but Johnny Mac needs to remember that double faults are not called aces and 40-5 is not a score in tennis - .

Actually some people do say "5" instead of "15." I don't know if that's from college tennis or what, but I've heard other people say it, too.

Cakeisgood
Jul 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Johnny Mac thought that the Woz hit No. 1 and went on about that for like 3 minutes. It was excruciating.

Shepster
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:27 AM
McEnroe and Austin are horrendous when you've had Venus/Bartoli and Serena/Vera, they just cream over the American and big up every single thing about them. I love how McEnroe was going on about Serena's second serve being the best in the world and Vera went on to pwn it in the first set :tape: Mind you he'd said in Vera/Kim that Vera was playing as well as she possibly could and she was playing "quite well", like Austin he's all about who he's heard of.

That said though, the Australians the BBC have are even worse (using Stosur as an example of things that work on a grass court lmmfao :spit:), personally I'd want Sam Smith who actually knows the womens tour and if you *have* to have a former grand slam champion, get one who has a clue and can read the info sheet (Austin saying Vera's career high was 9 in the world oh dear, it's right in front of you love and they put up the caption 15 minutes before :help:). Virginia, Lindsay, hell, even pay Martina the money she would have to be better than this.

StephenUK
Jul 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM
McEnroe and Austin are horrendous when you've had Venus/Bartoli and Serena/Vera, they just cream over the American and big up every single thing about them. I love how McEnroe was going on about Serena's second serve being the best in the world and Vera went on to pwn it in the first set :tape: Mind you he'd said in Vera/Kim that Vera was playing as well as she possibly could and she was playing "quite well", like Austin he's all about who he's heard of.

That said though, the Australians the BBC have are even worse (using Stosur as an example of things that work on a grass court lmmfao :spit:), personally I'd want Sam Smith who actually knows the womens tour and if you *have* to have a former grand slam champion, get one who has a clue and can read the info sheet (Austin saying Vera's career high was 9 in the world oh dear, it's right in front of you love and they put up the caption 15 minutes before :help:). Virginia, Lindsay, hell, even pay Martina the money she would have to be better than this.

Totally agree with you 100%. Sam is so much better than Tracey. I noticed that blooper over Vera's ranking; the other pathetic moment I remember was when Tracey tried to say that Serena had got close to a calendar year grand slam this year despite losing the French Open quarter-final by saying that she would have beaten anyone left in the event if she had beaten Stosur (no Tracey, Serena has not got past the QF stage at that event in 7 years and for good reason, she is s**t on red clay) Sam Smith injects humour and is not some Williams love-in, surprised Tracey doesn't sit in their box! Yuk!

Shepster
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Tracey tried to say that Serena had got close to a calendar year grand slam this year despite losing the French Open quarter-final by saying that she would have beaten anyone left in the event if she had beaten Stosur (no Tracey, Serena has not got past the QF stage at that event in 7 years and for good reason, she is s**t on red clay) Sam Smith injects humour and is not some Williams love-in, surprised Tracey doesn't sit in their box! Yuk!
I'd forgotten that, but I groaned at the time. The other classic one was when she said post 2003 Serena went through stages of being injured and having other interests. Obviously the "losing to Henin at GS QF after GS QF" stage went out of her mind :lol:

Olórin
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Totally agree with you 100%. Sam is so much better than Tracey. I noticed that blooper over Vera's ranking; the other pathetic moment I remember was when Tracey tried to say that Serena had got close to a calendar year grand slam this year despite losing the French Open quarter-final by saying that she would have beaten anyone left in the event if she had beaten Stosur (no Tracey, Serena has not got past the QF stage at that event in 7 years and for good reason, she is s**t on red clay) Sam Smith injects humour and is not some Williams love-in, surprised Tracey doesn't sit in their box! Yuk!

Tracy was correct and qualified herself accordingly. Serena has a MP to go to the SFs, had MPs against the player she would have faced there weeks ago and would have faced Francesa Schiavone in the final. That's quite close. But I guess all this is invalid because she's just another sh*t QFinalist! Yukky yuk!

Also, Sam's Smith is pretty much a Williams-love in. She compliments Venus and Serena at every opportunity and said that Serena c. 2002 is the best she's any woman ever play. I like it of course.

Tracy actually knows her stuff about women's tennis - her comment about Zvonareva's career high ranking being #9 was obviously a mistake which she didn't have an opportunity to correct in the live interview. She was getting Vera's career high ranking and post-Wimbledon ranking muddled up. Can happen to anyone. I've heard her talk a lot about Vera this tournament, she knows her game and she knows her history. She also mentioned several times about her #5 career high ranking.

Olórin
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I'd forgotten that, but I groaned at the time. The other classic one was when she said post 2003 Serena went through stages of being injured and having other interests. Obviously the "losing to Henin at GS QF after GS QF" stage went out of her mind :lol:

What is incorrect about this statement?

tennisbum79
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I want Daventport back on USA TV.
The Brits can keep Tracy "The Maria Gossip Machine" Austin.
Also, please take Mary Carillo

Shepster
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM
What is incorrect about this statement?
Nothing incorrect about the statement taken individually on its own as in that those two things did in fact happen, but clearly the issue here is the intellectual dishonesty behind it in the context she was using it. She was saying this was the only reason she hadn't truly dominated blissfully ignoring the fact that even when Serena had sorted those things out ... she still wasn't dominating (hello Justine).

There were also the numerous comments about Vera's previous win over Serena "not counting" because it was in 2006, she did exactly the same thing when talking about Hantuchova/Serena last year - so in 2006 Dani's win doesn't count because Serena turned up at the Aussie out of shape so I guess Serena's 2007 Aussie win doesn't count for the same reason :lol: