PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - Worst Wimbledon Final in years?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Yay or nay?

Ferg
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah. The shitness that was permeating through all the other ones in recent years has finally infected Wimbledon.

hdfb
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
No. Some pretty good rallies. We have had much worse GS finals.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Beats the hell out of the 09 AO final.

Rafito.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Yes, So boring.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
No. Some pretty good rallies. We have had much worse GS finals.

I mean for Wimbledon only.

edificio
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
No! Serena was fuckin' awesome.

trufanjay
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm satisfied

Langers
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
It's finished already???

Sefo
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Worst 3 players ever in the semifinals.

ZeroSOFInfinity
It's finished already???

Uh. Yeah.

tennislover
it's funeral of WTA

I'm fed up with all these one sided matches

on the other hand, it's not wta fault is Serena is the only champion left :sad:

Polikarpov
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
It's ok.

miffedmax
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
First set was actually pretty good. Second set Bepa imploded. It was sort of like last year's, really, though I think last year having a tie-breaker made it feel closer than it was. It's not like either one was ever in doubt.

Randy H
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Serena's level of play, especially serving, was just too good this tournament - No one was able to take a set off of her so it's hard to really call it the worst when you watch someone just playing truly great tennis.

In terms of competitiveness it obviously wasn't among the greats to look back on, but it was kind of similar with Venus and Bartoli a couple of years ago, just a bit of a mismatch in level of play

jefrilibra
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
NO!

Cos

Miss Serena Williams won!

:banana: :banana: :banana::banana: :banana: :banana:

Avid Merrion
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US//local/products/detail/518100.jpg

Careful it doesn't choke y'all! :D

Salve
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Trick, you're really hating right now. :o

In terms of level of play, no. Serena was too good for Vera today :awww:

vixter
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Serena's level of play, especially serving, was just too good this tournament - No one was able to take a set off of her so it's hard to really call it the worst when you watch someone just playing truly great tennis.

In terms of competitiveness it obviously wasn't among the greats to look back on, but it was kind of similar with Venus and Bartoli a couple of years ago, just a bit of a mismatch in level of play

Totally agree.

Not easy for Zvonareva in 1st GS final against a very sharp and focused Serena Williams. Like Vera said herself, was never allowed to find her best game.

Vanity Bonfire
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Yup. Total shitfest. The whole tournament in itself was awful.

StephenUK
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
No, it was crap but they usually are. The last three previous finals have also been poor, the last decent one was Mauresmo v Henin in 06 and before that the Davenport v Venus was a classic.

Marty-Dom
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Serena showed how championship tennis is played. This was a more perfect, cleaner performance than any recent winner had in the final.
I don't think Venus had as good stats against Marion.

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
VX3o8liyN0M

Maybe this will give you a newfound appreciation for the All-Williams finals. :hug:

delicatecutter
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
First set was good until Vera couldn't hold at 3-4. Then she got broken immediately in the 2nd set and the rest was history. :sad:

AnywhereButHome
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, So boring.

:lol:

GAGAlady
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
it's funeral of WTA

this is ABSOLUTELY true.

Serena, and to a lesser extent Venus...and maybe kim and justine are really the only 4 women who id give the title "champion" too and really felt that they embodied those characteristics.

the women today lack alot of things....they lack the confidence, they lack the shot selection...the veriety the depth of the last generation of womens champions.

I am really happy for Vera for getting to the final but man, she had nothing to give, nothing to THROW at serena...it was embarrasing to watch. She was nothing more than road kill....capriati or seles would have found a way to stay with her...but todays girls dont have much to offer it seems...

we need more conteders because im tired of watching these girls play safe boring tennis!!!!! your in the finals! of wimbledon! DO SOMETHING!!!! hit a winner or 2....go for broke! god.:help:

good job serena.:o

gmokb
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Lawd, you people can complain.:eek: What would have made it better, Vera defeating Serena:confused:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
This was not the worst final in recent years and was no where near the worst slam final of recent years.

timafi
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
the 2005 and 2006 Wimbledon finals were the last great finals in terms of tennis and drama:bowdown:

even the 2006 Wimbledon semis with the top 4 players were of better quality compared to today:shrug: I am not blaming this on Serena because she was so fucking solid the whole 2 weeks:hatoff:

honorable mention to last year between Venus and Serena:yeah:

but honestly 2007 and today:help::o

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
VX3o8liyN0M

Maybe this will give you a newfound appreciation for the All-Williams finals. :hug:
Ths was high quality stuff.

Unfortunately you can convince these people with evidence.
They have already made their mind that All William finals are bad, and they are sticking to their story.

After this routing, there is now another argument taking shape. Yeah, they never run out of straw grasping just to keep this false debate alive.

Serena is too strong for WTA, and that is not fair to the other women. Threfore she should join the ATP.

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:27 PM
it's funeral of WTA

With Martina Nav in your signature, you must have had many funerals arelady.

She used to maul opponents at Wimbledon.

I guess one funeral is redundant

Vanity Bonfire
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Lawd, you people can complain.:eek: What would have made it better, Vera defeating Serena:confused:

No, of course not.

This just highlights the desperate state of the WTA Tour. Serena's serving was excellent but I still think that Serena-version-2002 would have beaten Serena today, and that is what is so scary. Serena was nowhere near her best, and her opposition, a woman who will soon be top 10 again, had absolutely nothing to throw at her.

edificio
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Worst final I ever saw: Graf v. Zvereva.

Gdsimmons
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Serena was really good off the ground. That FH angle she hit OMG! So good. i enjoyed the final

gmokb
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Serena was really good off the ground. That FH angle she hit OMG! So good. i enjoyed the final

Me too:hearts:

Chakvenus
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
the final wasn't bad, thats for sure, but i can personally kind of agree with some of the sentiment here.
to me this final resembles 2007 in that the finalists (Vera & Marion) were up against opponents that realistically they had no chance against. both came out, however, realizing that they had nothing to lose, and took it to both sisters as best as they were able to on that day (both managed 5 games). unfortunately, though, both of these finals weren't able to match up to some of the other quality and/or dramatic performances from earlier years, such as 2008, 2006, 2005, or 2003.
still though, congrats to Serena, as it doesn't matter how the hell the final looks as long as you win it!!

homogenius
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
It wasn't really interesting but it was nobody's fault.Vera matured a lot but it was her fisrt slam final and she was playing Serena.I was expecting more of a fight from her but it's kinda understable she had a hard time playing her best tennis in such an occasion.

mure
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Wtf is this obsession with finals here?Finals don't define the quality of a tournament,and i'm talkin in general about other sports events too..Many world cup finals or Champions league have been absolute snoozefests,doesn't mean the tournaments themsleves were bad and i dom't recall many football fans complainin about Brazil-Italy final in 94 for example..Here unless you have some 6-7,7-6,18-16 final u can bet some troll like the op to start a thread like this..(i'm surprised Sammy01 hasn't posted yet though)

petesz
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
what do u except?:shrug:
Zvonareva is one of the most boring WTA players I have ever seen
no big serve, no big forehand or backhand
even her temper is not bad enough to be a drama queen
the only thing I can remember about her is her way of smashing rackets
Even Wozniaki has more story than she has

the jamierbelyea
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
It's similar to the Bartoli / Venus final I reckon. One player was just clearly a little bit better.

I was more deflated by the 2004 final when Masha killed Serena. Even though Masha played amazing, the entire match I was waiting for Serena to wake up, and I expected her to start a come back, when that did not happen, I was left more disappointed, and I am not even a big Serena fan.

At least in these cases, no one expected Vera or Marion to really figure it out.

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
the real final was Serena v Na :sobbing:

azinna
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
When the quality of one opponent's play is so superior -- displaying aspects of all-time greatness -- it's a bit cheap to fault the match.
I've watched other Wimb finals with both out there playing subpar stuff....

VS Fan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
With Martina Nav in your signature, you must have had many funerals arelady.

She used to maul opponents at Wimbledon.

I guess one funeral is redundant

the real final was Serena v Na :sobbing:
I vote Serena/Masha as the most compeling match Serena played. (Especially the first set)

Amalgamate
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
:rolleyes: Serena just lightyears ahead of these other bitches.

SerenaClijsters
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Not really. It was a nice demonstration of Serena drastically upping her game and taking it by total domination. I enjoyed the match up til when Vera got broken.

LightWarrior
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:47 PM
No. Vera was decent. Serena was excellent. Totally enjoyed watching it from beginning to end.

Volcana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Yay or nay?Venus-Bartoli 2007

Volcana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
I still think that Serena-version-2002 would have beaten Serena today, and that is what is so scary.Serena is a MUCH better server now than in 2002. She maginally better at volleys now too. The 2002 groundies were WAY better, but the 2010 judgement ..... that's the thing that impresses me. In 2002, every shot was had and flat. In 2010, Serena is actually guiding shots, building points, not just trying to out-blast her opponent.

peak vs peak? 2002 wins. ordinary vs ordinary? I think 2010 wins that battle.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
No not at all...stop trying to rain on our parade.....

gmak
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Serena is still a class apart :shrug:
not her fault

twight6
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
First set was actually pretty good. Second set Bepa imploded. It was sort of like last year's, really, though I think last year having a tie-breaker made it feel closer than it was. It's not like either one was ever in doubt.

Agreed, I really enjoyed the first set. And, there were some really good rallies dispersed throughout the match, and some great shot making and defense by Serena in the first :worship: Then Vera kinda fell apart..

Cakeisgood
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Were people expecting this match to be close? The fact that Vera got 5 games is a pretty good performance actually. It's not like she was going to come roaring out of the gates a la Maria 2004, that's just not her game.

Serena played how she has for most of the tournament: HUGE serving, and solid groundies to wear down the opponent. She simply doesn't need to play first strike tennis anymore (her "A" game) because her "B" game is more than enough to beat most girls on tour.

So no, the Wimby final wasn't horrible, it just wasn't great, which is basically WTA's problem.

xan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Wtf is this obsession with finals here?Finals don't define the quality of a tournament,and i'm talkin in general about other sports events too..Many world cup finals or Champions league have been absolute snoozefests,doesn't mean the tournaments themsleves were bad and i dom't recall many football fans complainin about Brazil-Italy final in 94 for example..Here unless you have some 6-7,7-6,18-16 final u can bet some troll like the op to start a thread like this..(i'm surprised Sammy01 hasn't posted yet though)

The point is that the tournament (like the French) was messed up from the seeding onwards. With the best matches taking place in the fourth round, followed by the collapse of most of the rest of the draw, we were left with three no-hopers and serena in the semis.

A blowout final was inevitable.

DragonFlame
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Honestly the whole tournament failed. Horrible tournament all together where no one played great and nothing interesting happened. Expected winner who didnt have to play even close to her best, the favourites were shit.(honorable mention to maria sharapova) The rest... bleh...

slamchamp
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
it was soo boring I put the football match with argentina and germany

Arnian
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
it was a craptastic final, actually this whole tournament has sucked :lol:

edificio
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I enjoyed the match. Sure, it may have lacked on some drama, but both Serena/Vera played well (stats wise), even if Vera is not at Serena's level when Serena is on. Vera played better in the first set, but she lacked some mental fortitude in the second to contend wth Serena's focus and game. It may have been a little short, but I don't see how so many of you are claiming it was boring and craptastic. There have been worse finals.

Serena's level is phenomenal. I hope she can sustain that, except when she is playing Venus!

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM
:lol:

This thread is hysterical.

I'd love to see a breakdown of fandom, ie... whose particular fans felt like the tournament was "craptastic" and whose felt like it was fine.

I have a feeling, the truth lies somewhere in the the middle.

Anyway..., :shrug:

Were people expecting this match to be close? The fact that Vera got 5 games is a pretty good performance actually. It's not like she was going to come roaring out of the gates a la Maria 2004, that's just not her game.

Serena played how she has for most of the tournament: HUGE serving, and solid groundies to wear down the opponent. She simply doesn't need to play first strike tennis anymore (her "A" game) because her "B" game is more than enough to beat most girls on tour.

So no, the Wimby final wasn't horrible, it just wasn't great, which is basically WTA's problem.

Nice post. But that first statement I'd have to say yes. If you look at Vera and Serena's history, the matches were usually very competitive. Vera's game has, in times past, matched up fairly well with Serena's - not well enough, but competitively so. But this, of course, is Serena in the Wimby final. Which is very different than Serena in Carson a few years back.

StephenUK
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Ths was high quality stuff.

Unfortunately you can convince these people with evidence.
They have already made their mind that All William finals are bad, and they are sticking to their story.

After this routing, there is now another argument taking shape. Yeah, they never run out of straw grasping just to keep this false debate alive.

Serena is too strong for WTA, and that is not fair to the other women. Threfore she should join the ATP.

This was the final that was so great that a million more British people watched the girls singles featuring Laura Robson that came after it! :help:

Joana
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Most recent Wimbledon finals didn't feature a player playing absolutely horrendous tennis (like Safina AO '09 or Ana RG '07), so this could have been the "worst" Wimbledon final in years. yes. I didn't see the Venus vs Bartoli match, though.

That said, it wasn't a bad match in itself. Serena was quite good and unplayable on her on serve. In order to make it a competitive match on grass, Zvonareva would have to play the best tennis of her career. She couldn't do it, but you can't really blame her for that. Not everyone is a 17 year old Maria Sharapova.

T-GIRL87
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I highly doubt if this was Sharapova or Henin serving up 89 aces in total breaking records to get their 13th major, posters would hardly be calling it craptastic. I think you could hardly say the U.S Open final of last year was anything special, but b/c it was Clijsters who dispatched Serena, it was somehow saved. And as evidenced by that match alone it shows that Serena is not truely dominating as posters are suggesting, and even in her matches against Kvita and pova where she was in fact being challenged from the baseline, showed that a composed Serena can defeat players who are capable of outrallying her, by playing smart tactical tennis, rather than simply trying to out hit players who are five years younger than her.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:06 AM
There hasn't been a great slam final since the 2005 winbledon final and that's what hurting the tour not new players coming through and making the later rounds.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
We've had better, we've had worse finals. We can't help that Bepa was over her head today against GOATrena. :shrug:

Lindsayfan32
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I highly doubt if this was Sharapova or Henin serving up 89 aces in total breaking records to get their 13th major, posters would hardly be calling it craptastic. I think you could hardly say the U.S Open final of last year was anything special, but b/c it was Clijsters who dispatched Serena, it was somehow saved. And as evidenced by that match alone it shows that Serena is not truely dominating as posters are suggesting, and even in her matches against Kvita and pova where she was in fact being challenged from the baseline, showed that a composed Serena can defeat players who are capable of outrallying her, by playing smart tactical tennis, rather than simply trying to out hit players who are five years younger than her.

Serena deseved her win but if anyone was winning slam finals in an hour and six minutes it not good for the tour. Serena is a cut above the rest at the moment and it's up to the rest of the tour to try and come up to her level. :)

HippityHop
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:28 AM
The point is that the tournament (like the French) was messed up from the seeding onwards. With the best matches taking place in the fourth round, followed by the collapse of most of the rest of the draw, we were left with three no-hopers and serena in the semis.

A blowout final was inevitable.

Who could have played Serena close this year? Nobody. Well perhaps Venus had she not had a brain fart in the quarters. :mad:

aisha
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:15 AM
No, not even close. This was not a bad match per se, just a bad matchup. I'll take good one-sided tennis over those 2002-2007 Roland Garros finals anyday. Now those were some horrendous matches with oppenents to scared and frozen to put the ball in play. Vera did try and at least made Serena serve for it. Her counterpunching tendency will not get it done against a player surnamed Williams.

Honestly, the worst Wimbledon final I've seen occurred in 2003. That had the makings of being a sweet matchup if not for Venus's ab tear. That's a hard one for me (at least) to watch. An ugly match to witness.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:19 AM
nope. i love the williams sisters but its nice to have a bit of variety

i was interested to see what vera would do, not what i wanted but hey...

5 set finals/semis thats what they need. its sooooo hard for a 3 set match to be great yet so easy for a 5 set match to be great

RenaSlam.
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Every other woman on the tour can't serve for sh-t.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Every other woman on the tour can't serve for sh-t.

unqualified.

no other woman who serves well can back it up like serena. true.

Baselinebasher
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:30 AM

Uhh, Yes..? I am a fan of Henin and I didn't like when she was routing everyone every RG without competition...People who actually thought yesterday's final was good aren't fans of tennis and just want their girl Serena to destroy everyone, to hell with the actual tennis quality. Wouldn't it be more satisfying for Serena fans if she won 9-7 in the third rather than the yesterday's beatdown? I remember when Federer was destroyed by Nadal in 08 RG and most Nadal fans admitted the match was crap. Not here though. Serena could give out a double bagel in finals of a GS and people would still call it "great match". :o

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Uhh, Yes..? I am a fan of Henin and I didn't like when she was routing everyone every RG without competition...People who actually thought yesterday's final was good aren't fans of tennis and just want their girl Serena to destroy everyone, to hell with the actual tennis quality. Wouldn't it be more satisfying for Serena fans if she won 9-7 in the third rather than the yesterday's beatdown? I remember when Federer was destroyed by Nadal in 08 RG and most Nadal fans admitted the match was crap. Not here though. Serena could give out a double bagel in finals of a GS and people would still call it "great match". :o

sorry but WRONG. serena didnt destroy vera at all. i love me serena but vera was in the match she just made silly mistakes and played into serena hands hardly a dominating perfomance

kiwifan
Jul 4th, 2010, 03:43 AM

It would be a great performance by Serena...and that's what a Serena fan would want to see. :lol:

Fuck 9-7 we don't need that kind of aggravation. :p

You get to watch a whole bunch of non Serena matches during the fortnight, why not just enjoy those instead?

I want to see Venus and Serena kick ass!!!

Same thing when Monica was playing.

And when Chris was playing I wanted to see her run a chick all over the court (since Chris wasn't likely to hit anything close to a Graf forehand)...

...and speaking of Graf, you want to talk about boring finals and no one (who didn't get stabbed) to challenge her?

That's Graf all the way!!! :lol: :p :lol: :devil: :lol: :p :lol:

Loungy
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
People who actually thought yesterday's final was good aren't fans of tennis and just want their girl Serena to destroy everyone, to hell with the actual tennis quality.
Demolitions and tennis quality aren't mutually exclusive, and matches can be great for many different reasons. One of them being watching a player reach his or her peak and be untouchable for a match or one tournament. Watching any athlete get to that zone is great.

That said, I don't think yesterday's final was great in any way. It wasn't horrible either. It was fine. I was cheering for Vera, but Serena is/was the superior player and showed it. Never in doubt.