PDA

View Full Version : WTA, ATP tours to combine 3 events

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I hope this wasn't posted.:)

WTA, ATP tours to combine 3 events

WIMBLEDON, England -- The WTA Tour will join with the ATP Tour to stage three newly combined men's and women's tournaments in 2011.

The WTA Tour said Friday the women's tour will return to Washington after an absence of 20 years as it links up with the annual men's tournament held at William H.G. Fitzgerald Tennis Center. The Washington tournament will run the week of July 18.

A combined event will take place starting Aug. 15 in Cincinnati, where the men and women have been playing in separate weeks.

The Italian Open in Rome also will combine its two events, playing the week of May 9.

Also, Canada will stage a "virtual combined event" in Montreal and Toronto, during which fans in one city will be able to view matches from the other.

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
So Rome, Madrid and Paris are all combined now.
I wonder if that keeps being the trend

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
So Rome, Madrid and Paris are all combined now.
I wonder if that keeps being the trend

do you mean the french or indoors?

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
I mean the outdoor clay season

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
:rolleyes: @ putting montreal and toronto at the same time. It was fine before.
Don't expect the huge turnout then..

bridgepea
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
The worst part about combined events is that the women usually get sidelined in preference for the men. Whoever has the tv rights usually show the men's matches moreso than the women. I hate combined events. You only have to look at Indian Wells and Miami to see that this does not work for the women.

bbjpa
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
I hate it too , the TV coverage of course and also live scoring at protennislive.com gets then confused so when they will add an option like on GS live scoring to select only ATP or WTA matches :fiery:

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Well when in your country there's no TV coverage of nearly anything at all one tends not to care about combined tournaments and TV... :weirdo: I like combined tournaments! ;)

Kworb
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:01 PM
I like it, more ATP/WTA romance :hearts:

I'm sure Flavia is just dying to play in these combined tournaments :inlove:

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Its the best situation for the players. Maybe some countries lose a few tv matches, but any tennis fan knows they have to watch on computer a lot

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM
The WTA in Washington DC :woohoo:. This is the closest (about 2 hrs) a WTA Tourney has been to me since the days of Philly :bounce:

Corswandt
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
do you mean the french or indoors?

ROLAND GARROS

Certinfy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Oh God :help:

rockstar
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM

dulko has some work to do!

sammy01
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
ROLAND GARROS

it was the way he worded it like the french being combined is a new thing :p

Fantasy Hero
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM

this :inlove:
now we are sure Flavia won't go far in Rome's draw :inlove: or maybe she will to stay more there :eek:

Atrixo
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
I don't like this trend at all. The WTA is losing so much of it's identity and autonomy by hooking up with the ATP at every opportunity. Pretty soon, it's going to simply be a sideshow that follows in the shadow of the men. If anything, they should be trying to distance themselves as far as possible from the ATP, to create and develop their own premier events. :(

Hey, if Stacey McAllaster (who's a twit) want's the WTA to become completely irrelevant, then by all means continue sucking on the cock of the ATP. :rolleyes:

rockstar
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
I don't like this trend at all. The WTA is losing so much of it's identity and autonomy by hooking up with the ATP at every opportunity. Pretty soon, it's going to simply be a sideshow that follows in the shadow of the men. If anything, they should be trying to distance themselves as far as possible from the ATP, to create and develop their own premier events. :(

Hey, if Stacey McAllaster (who's a twit) want's the WTA to become completely irrelevant, then by all means continue sucking on the cock of the ATP. :rolleyes:

i honestly thought you were talking about pennetta or dulko when i glanced through your response :tape:

SVK
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
If there isnīt mixed doubles then it doesnīt matter how many tournaments they are combined:sobbing: