PDA

View Full Version : Should tennis do away with let during serves??

azmad_88
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Why bother having lets? Just continue playing like they do during normal rallies. In my honest opinion

Why do you guys think?

Ferg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
um, no.

Julian.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
WTH? What if the ball drops like a drop shot just those lucky net cords?

azmad_88
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
WTH? What if the ball drops like a drop shot just those lucky net cords?

those types of balls happen during the rallies as well.. :shrug:

Julian.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
those types of balls happen during the rallies as well.. :shrug:

How do you measure the serve speed of those lets then? :lol:

Tennisstar86
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
no, I think its dumb that they do that in college....

Super Dave
No, I like it the way it is. The serve should have to be clean.

azmad_88
How do you measure the serve speed of those lets then? :lol:

theres always speed for let serves as well on the speed board

KournikovaFan91
There would be so many lucky aces, it would be a farce.

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
ITF tested this years ago, in lower level Davis Cup matches, but in the end "let" was allowed to stay. Players opposed the change.

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Tournaments can play with a "no let" rule if they like. It is often used in high school and college matches to speed play.

I personally feel it is a disadvantage for players who have a strong serve because it does throw in cheap aces. I suppose you could argue a regular net cord does the same thing to the player with better ground strokes, but my gut feeling is it doesn't.

Also, because the serve is also usually the hardest struck shot, it's often harder to adjust a return (as opposed to on a groundstroke). Overall, I just feel like chance plays a bigger role in determining a winner with the no-let rule than it does under traditional rules.

The only advantage of the no-let rule is that for high school and college you've usually got a lot of matches and a short time to play them, with travel arrangements already made for one or more teams. In those cases, the time savings probably justify the trade-off.

Serenus Christ
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
should you play tennis without a tennis racquet?
LOL I know that its really not in comparison but not they should hold some tradition.

VikingTennisFan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe they could just reduce the sensitivity of the let device so very slight touches don't register.

tennnisfannn
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
perhaps they should do away wth the handshake first!

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Absolutely. Do away with them. 70% of let cords are so insignificant they hardly effect the flight of the ball. And it isn't just big servers who get letcords, everyone gets letcords. It does not favour the big server, if anything it favours the returner who has quick reactions.

In this day and age where we have television audiences with short attention spans which this sport needs to cater to, frequent letcords are a serious turn off. Doing away with them will result in the occasional cheap point but it will also give returners an opportunity to show off their improvisational skills at times and would undoubtably result in some very entertaining points too. I should add not all letcords favour the server, frequently the ball will sit up or slow down upon touching the net allowing a quick thinking returner to make an attacking return. Sure it adds an extra element of unpredictability to the game but no more than do letcords that happen during rallies. Many great hugely entertaining points result from letcords that take place during rallies, I don't believe it would be any different if letcords from serves were also allowed.

On most issues I am a traditionalist in terms of the changing of the rules of tennis. All the recent rules changes to the game of doubles were things I totally deplored, but this is one change I would be hugely in favour of and would welcome with open arms.

faboozadoo15
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Maybe they could just reduce the sensitivity of the let device so very slight touches don't register.

:scared: Where would you draw the line?

bbjpa
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Let should be second serve next no matter where the ball falls :devil:

Dave B
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Maybe they should just make a let an automatic fault.

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
Maybe they should just make a let an automatic fault.

Why don't you just shoot Dementieva in the head while you're at it?;)

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Does it really save a significant amount of time?