PDA

View Full Version : Hopman Cup 2011

Ilikebigboobies
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I know it is way early but is there any news as to who will be playing here?

Edit: Please dont move or delete this thread.

COSAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
This thread should be moved to exhibition eventes.

Julian.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
We don't even know whether this event still exists or not :sobbing:
I thought they are in danger of being cancelled?

Rafito.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
I think the tournament is still going to be held, there just isn't going to be any channel's airing it since ABC cut the contract. So hopefully another channel will pick it up so we can actually see it on television like every other year :sad:

Polikarpov
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Hingis and Federer should play again. Tenth year anniversary of their win.:hearts:

Acanthus
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
I didn't know the ABC had scrapped their coverage! :( Apparentely so they can support events like the Tiwi Island Games? (see link below) Who the hell wants to watch the Tiwi Island Games? I always look forward to the Hopman Cup each year, the ABC has such a great coverage, and its such a great format. Hopefully One HD will pick it up, but obviously their coverage will be vastly inferier. If its not on TV at all that will be a disster. And if the Hopman Cap goes under then it will be the ABC to blame.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/abc-pulls-plug-on-hopman-cup-20100416-sjza.html

Keadz
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
The new stadium still won't be ready for the next Hopman Cup, even though they have been saying it will be ready the last 2 years :lol: Perth :o

Hopefully pay tv can get coverage of it, don't want to see this event disapear.

Martian Stacey
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hingis and Federer should play again. Tenth year anniversary of their win.:hearts:

Hell yes :rocker2: I'll fly to Perth if that happens ;)

Sucks that ABC won't be showing it anymore :( But I assume that Foxtel still has the rights to it?

Carotastrophe
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Please China. Qualify this time :angel:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Please China. Qualify this time :angel:

Kazakhstan will qualify again for Asia :worship: :lol:

Rising Sun
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Kazakhstan will qualify again for Asia :worship: :lol:
If they hold it in Astana again. :tape:

Steadyniacki
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Noo Chinese Taipei will qualify with Lu and Hsieh :inlove:

We can probably expect France, Russia, Germany, Romania (maybe)

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
France: Golovin & Simon.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM

Field would be trashed.

sammy01
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
France: Golovin & Simon.

please he needs a proper partner like erm er jeez what happened to all the good french players?

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Field would be trashed.
Yup.

No thanks to Federror, though. :happy:

Fantastic
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
The HC are trying to obtain the appearances of Francesca Schiavone (ITA), Justine Henin (BEL) and Andy Murray (GBR), depending on suitable and available partners. The Aussies and an Asian team are obviously going to be part of the line-up.

Murray and Schiavone might be good bets to return.

Murray might want to stick to a successful formula after this year's run to the AO Final. His partner might be Laura Robson or the rapidly-improving fellow Scot, Elena Baltacha. I think he said this year that he wouldn't return without Laura.

Schiavone is a good bet because she can only play 2 x International events in 2011 and she might want to save them for later in the year (eg. to defend Barcelona), and she apparently "lurrrrrves" the Hopman Cup concept, so hopefully there will be a suitable Italian male player for her to partner.

Henin would not be a good bet because she wants to play under pressure and outdoors in a regulation WTA tournament more so than merely getting some match practice. Plus she has those Brisbane points to defend. If she becomes Top 10 by year's end, she might opt for Sydney instead of Brisbane and will avoid playing the first week of the year.

The Hingis and Federer idea might not be such a bad one. He isn't at the might of his powers at the moment but he is a draw card and he might want lots of practice matches before the AO, which he is defending. Playing the HC with Federer might be the impetus for Hingis to make a return to professional tennis, unlikely as it might seem now. The different stages in their careers might just even things out for the rest of the field. She might lose all her singles matches, but her doubles skills will come in handy for this tournament - even if she just plays it for fun. Federer will at least have the opportunity to deal with playing under pressure (having to play must-win singles and doubles matches if Hingis can't win her singles), which is something he wouldn't normally get the chance to do outside a regulation ATP tournament. Still, a Swiss team seems unlikely unless Hingis commits to a proper comeback. The HC has never invited a retired player to compete.

But the idea of a Swiss team (even with a female player other than Hingis) will be nixed anyway if Murray or Henin accept an invitation because Federer would put the HC appearance fee budget way over the limit. Unless Wawrinka plays. LOL. So many scenarios.

Ilikebigboobies
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Interesting. I was hoping Gisela would return. :sad:

ChumChum
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I didn't know the ABC had scrapped their coverage! :( Apparentely so they can support events like the Tiwi Island Games? (see link below) Who the hell wants to watch the Tiwi Island Games? I always look forward to the Hopman Cup each year, the ABC has such a great coverage, and its such a great format. Hopefully One HD will pick it up, but obviously their coverage will be vastly inferier. If its not on TV at all that will be a disster. And if the Hopman Cap goes under then it will be the ABC to blame.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/abc-pulls-plug-on-hopman-cup-20100416-sjza.html

Heard today that One HD will be picking up the French Open :bounce: and Channel Nine will drop Wimbledon :confused:

Julian.
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Russia: Youzhny & Sharapova :hearts:
USA: Roddick & Serena :lol:

Carotastrophe
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Maybe:

China: Li/(dont know any male) :lol:

Tezuka.
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Kazakhstan : Yaroslava Shvedova - Evgeny Korolev (Kournikova's cousin):devil:

Ferg
Jul 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Tursonov and Petrova again plz.

PushWoz
Jul 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Andy RodDICK and Brie WhiteHEAD please.

silyaunWILLIAMS
Jul 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Andy RodDICK and Brie WhiteHEAD please.

:lol:

silyaunWILLIAMS
Jul 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Nadal and MJMS

That would be GREAT!

serenus_2k8
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I would love Murray & Laura to try again, since Laura getting the match practise without it counting as an event would be good while Bally, Anne, Heather etc can all play tour events.

I can imagine this event being very popular next year and 2012 as practise for the mixed in the Olympics so Im hopefully right in not worrying too much about the survival of the event.

Serenus Christ
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Serena will play it in 2012

ChumChum
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM
serena/andy vs novak/whoever :hearts:

pwayne
Jul 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Serena tweeted that she will play in 2011 with John Isner.

"@serenajwilliams Me and John isner. Hopman cup 2011 "