PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Girls SF: (10)Sachie Ishizu (JPN) d. (8/wc)Laura Robson (GBR) 75 76(5)

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Great win Sachie :yeah:

Laura served for both sets and was 5-2 up in TB.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
:spit: Let's see the hype again.:bounce:

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Laura was absolutely terrible today. It’s amazing she won as many games as she did. Oh well, who cares about juniors anyway? :p

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Laura :tape: that match :help:
that point at 5-5 in TB in 2nd set summed up Laura in match :happy: :happy:
punch drunk......... been out slutting yourself last night eh ????

Laura serves, mishit return, Laura thinks its going into net, just watches it drop over net and she's stood there :o :help:

Laura had match but really played terribly at big moments

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Laura has to stop having days like this. :o

juki
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Sachie :bounce:

Sorry Laura :sad:

Hian
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Bye Miss Robson.

Kworb
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Sachie :inlove:

Michael.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
:rocker2: :bowdown:

Marionated
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
How are you able to push a top 5 player but can't win the juniors?
Laura :o

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
laura has been scratchy the whole junior tournie. im pretty sure her hearts not in juniors anymore.

Libertango
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
:o Not sure Laura needed to play juniors anyway.

Well done Sachie! A Japanese hope? :hearts:

Keegan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
From the snippets of the match I saw, she has quite a bad attitude. Unsurprising that she lost tbh.

Rising Sun
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Sachie :yeah:

So how did she play?

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Laura wtf was that? :spit:

Libertango
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
From the snippets of the match I saw, she has quite a bad attitude. Unsurprising that she lost tbh.

I've heard this before; I didn't see the match; in what way was her attitude bad?

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Anyone who claims Robson is some kind of precaucious tactician, should really have take note in this match.

Robson was making around 3 or 4 errors a game, off seemingly the most elementary of shots. Just unbelievably rash shot selection, undermining her often excellent serving and well-placed intial returns. The deception that Robson is tactically astute probably comes from the fact that she hits such a clean ball, with hardly any muscled or uncomfortable looking stroke-play.

I noticed this erratic play against Jankovic, but i gave her the benefit of the doubt there because she was playing against an elite defender, and therefore would inevitably force her to take unnessecary cuts at the ball. However against Ishizu, she looked totally inept at constructing any kind of torally. Lovely ball-striking, but obviously it takes much more. Still a mountain of work to do, but that's the challenge that hopefully she's looking forward too.

Ishizu is a fragile little thing, and plays such a dainty style of tennis, and looks breakable physically:lol: Plays in the ilk of many Japanese players- flat, accurate, adequate pace, and more importantly short, well-drilled groundstrokes. Works so well in juniors when you have such strange technique on show from the other girls.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
I've heard this before; I didn't see the match; in what way was her attitude bad?

"why are they making me play juniors type of way" :o

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Anyone who claims Robson is some kind of precaucious tactician, should really have take note in this match.

Robson was making around 3 or 4 errors a game, off seemingly the most elementary of shots. Just unbelievably rash shot selection, undermining her often excellent serving and well-placed intial returns. The deception that Robson is tactically astute probably comes from the fact that she hits such a clean ball, with hardly any muscled or uncomfortable looking stroke-play.

I noticed this erratic play against Jankovic, but i gave her the benefit of the doubt there because she was playing against an elite defender, and therefore would inevitably force her to take unnessecary cuts at the ball. However against Ishizu, she looked totally inept at constructing any kind of torally. Lovely ball-striking, but obviously it takes much more. Still a mountain of work to do, but that's the challenge that hopefully she's looking forward too.

Ishizu is a fragile little thing, and plays such a dainty style of tennis, and looks breakable physically:lol: Plays in the ilk of many Japanese players- flat, accurate, adequate pace, and more importantly short, well-drilled groundstrokes. Works so well in juniors when you have such strange technique on show from the other girls.

Has anyone ever on this board called Robson a tactician? :unsure:

If Robson had any tactics she'd be at the finishing at the net more than she is now to get out of some of these monotonous baseline rallies with girls that are faster than her.

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Has anyone ever on this board called Robson a tactician? :unsure:

If Robson had any tactics she'd be at the finishing at the net more than she is now to get out of some of these monotonous baseline rallies with girls that are faster than her.

Not at all, i actually people on this board have good sense regarding Robson's limitations:lol:

Directed at those in the media, who think Robson is some kind of Hingis incarnate. Sam Smith (and i agree with her commentary about 90% of the time), stated that Robson had 'no weaknesses' :unsure:

Yes she is painfully slow, and she hasn't got nearly enough raw power to hit herself out of these protracted baseline exchanges.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Not at all, i actually people on this board have good sense regarding Robson's limitations:lol:

Directed at those in the media, who think Robson is some kind of Hingis incarnate. Sam Smith (and i agree with her commentary about 90% of the time), stated that Robson had 'no weaknesses' :unsure:

Yes she is painfully slow, and she hasn't got nearly enough raw power to hit herself out of these protracted baseline exchanges.

The thing is even then Robson goes through random patches of a dangerously low first serve percentage. She needs to work on her 2nd serve variety, speed, and placement.

She's got the timing on her groundstrokes, the precision, and even the ability to create angles. She can't blow anyone off the court so they just reset the point because she refuses to put away a decisive volley. Then it just takes one shot from them and she's behind in the rally with no hope to recover.

-sugi-
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
EXCELLENT for Sachie :D

I thought she'd give Laura some trouble, but I never dreamt she'd beat her. Just amazing :D

She must be very confident at the moment. She just won a 10k tournament, her third ITF title this year. :hug:

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM

Wikipedia?

I remember Sam actually making this comment (I believe her actual words were 'no real weakness') in the junior final in 2008, when Laura's movement was not as big of an issue. The context I took the comment in was that she has no real weakness for a 14 year old. She's grown at least two inches since then and has struggled to add another dimension to her game as many predicted she would. It's not like she hasn't tried though. In a couple of her earlier rounds here she was using many slice backhands and even a couple of serve and volleys :faints: Where these were today, as well as her first serve and backhand, I have no idea.

iPatty
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Japanese tennis looks to be making a revival after the giant flop that was Ayumi Morita.

Drake1980
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
:D :bounce:

Keegan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM

Her body language and overall aura screamed "bad attitude". Early in the second during the changeover she just dropped her racquet down like she had a massive case of 'CBA'

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Her body language and overall aura screamed "bad attitude". Early in the second during the changeover she just dropped her racquet down like she had a massive case of 'CBA'

Didn't she start banging her head with her racquet too at one point? :unsure:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Japanese tennis looks to be making a revival after the giant flop that was Ayumi Morita.

when is a top 100 player a flop :rolleyes:
whole point of juniors is to get onto the WTA Tour regularly, and that is called a success.

Mynarco
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Sachie WHO?:eek:

Anyway it's always a good thing that Japanese wins a match

spiceboy
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
whole point of juniors is to get onto the WTA Tour regularly, and that is called a success.

:worship:

It's not like Morita was supposed to be a Slam contender or anything :tape:

Libertango
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Yea, leave Morita alone. :hug:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:49 PM

I got to totally agree with TBE here. I respect iPatty and I believe he has seen enough tennis and knows enough to know you can not dismiss a player who has reached the top 100 at 18 and has been there almost continuously for the last 18 months. As of Monday there will be no more than 9 players ranked higher than Morita who are also younger.

In the era of tennis in which we now exist when most players don't even breakthough to their best level until they are well into their 20s I don't see how a player who has sustained a top 100 ranking almost entirely for the last 18 months and is only 20 years old can be called a giant flop. I would consider every player who reaches the top 100 a success and in Morita's case there is good reason to believe she will eventually advance substantially further.

Worst of all is the use of the word "was" in refering to Morita's career. It's not actually over and almost certainly has just begun. Morita certainly played well at Wimbledon this year and doesn't show any signs of going away.

spiceboy
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Looks like she just couldn't wait to get out of that court and meet Beckham :devil:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs027.ash2/34725_461105681101_26081741101_6121181_6749112_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3176423&id=26081741101)

Halepsova
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
This horrible UK player should stop messing with junior tour already. :o

Mynarco
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Looks like she just couldn't wait to get out of that court and meet Beckham :devil:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs027.ash2/34725_461105681101_26081741101_6121181_6749112_n.j pg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3176423&id=26081741101)

men first, tennis second. Watch out, posh.

iPatty
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Morita is so average. :lol:

TBE, you and I both know how mediocre her results are for a 20 year old. She has three SF runs to her name, all in MM events and with the only significant victory coming over Peng Shuai in Strasbourg last year. She is definitely not even close to the level that many people expected her to reach. Maybe Ishizu won't be that good either, but there is a good chance that one of the three upcoming Japanese girls (Nara, Doi, Ishizu) that one of them will be a Top50 player.

I'm so tired of being labelled as some kind of "hater" or "uninformed" poster when I am only being realistic and unbiased. :shrug:

EDIT: Morita is 3-20 against Top100 players over the past 12 months, her wins coming over Duque Marino (#98 and #96 at match times) and Craybas. This is most definitely NOT a Top100-level player. How she even got there with these results is completely beyond me. :tape:

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
beckhams so hot, bet she'd be a slut for him lol

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Morita is so average. :lol:

TBE, you and I both know how mediocre her results are for a 20 year old. She has three SF runs to her name, all in MM events and with the only significant victory coming over Peng Shuai in Strasbourg last year. She is definitely not even close to the level that many people expected her to reach. Maybe Ishizu won't be that good either, but there is a good chance that one of the three upcoming Japanese girls (Nara, Doi, Ishizu) that one of them will be a Top50 player.

I'm so tired of being labelled as some kind of "hater" or "uninformed" poster when I am only being realistic and unbiased. :shrug:

Dismissing a top 100 player at 20 years old is being neither realistic or unbiased. We see so many players breakthrough into the top 50, even the top 30 well into their 20s, what makes you so sure this will not happen to Morita? If there is one thing I have learnt following tennis it is to keep an open mind regarding a tennis player's potential.

iPatty
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Dismissing a top 100 player at 20 years old is being neither realistic or unbiased. We see so many players breakthrough into the top 50, even the top 30 well into their 20s, what makes you so sure this will not happen to Morita? If there is one thing I have learnt following tennis it is to keep an open mind regarding a tennis player's potential.

Check my edited post. Morita is 3-20 against Top100 players over the past 12 months.

It isn't so difficult to dismiss a "Top100 player" with such an...interesting record against fellow Top100 players.

égalité
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Who? :spit:

Well congrats anyway gurk :hearts:

Laura :help: Stick to the real WTA.

juki
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
1dmibpiuKOs

Video of Sachie from last year for those who have never seen her. Not the most intimidating player ever. :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM

slutting herself already :o :o

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
I hope that Japan can produce a decent player in short. Morita doesn't seem to progress as well as expected... :hug:

Congrats Sachie! :inlove: :hearts:

Laura :rolls: :haha:

toxina90
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
I miss Morigami :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Check my edited post. Morita is 3-20 against Top100 players over the past 12 months.

It isn't so difficult to dismiss a "Top100 player" with such an...interesting record against fellow Top100 players.

As you wish.

Alex Dulgheru hadn't beaten even one top 100 player until a couple of weeks before her 20th birthday.

Tsvetana Pironkova only beat 3 top 100 players last year from the Australian Open until her last tournament of the year in Moscow.

When Julie Goerges was the exact age Morita is now she had beaten only 3 top 100 players in the preceding year as well. At the time she was ranked just outside the top 100 at 113.

It is true Morita had a poor last 12 months but she did beat substantially more top 100 players in the preceding 12 months. Frankly, you can dismiss Morita from having any kind of future in tennis but I won't.

Hachiko
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Terrific result for Sachie. :yeah: Ganbarre!

iPatty
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
As you wish.

Alex Dulgheru hadn't beaten even one top 100 player until a couple of weeks before her 20th birthday.

Tsvetana Pironkova only beat 3 top 100 players last year from the Australian Open until her last tournament of the year in Moscow.

When Julie Goerges was the exact age Morita is now she had beaten only 3 top 100 players in the preceding year as well. At the time she was ranked just outside the top 100 at 113.

It is true Morita had a poor last 12 months but she did beat substantially more top 100 players in the preceding 12 months. Frankly, you can dismiss Morita from having any kind of future in tennis but I won't.

How many losses to Top100 players did Dulgheru, Pironkova, and Goerges have in these periods you mention? :)

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
How many losses to Top100 players did Dulgheru, Pironkova, and Goerges have in these periods you mention? :)

Less than 20 certainly....many of these players losses were to players outside the top 100. Is that better?

Nicolás89
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
Sachie sounds so sweet for a name. :awww:

iPatty
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:30 AM
Less than 20 certainly....many of these players losses were to players outside the top 100. Is that better?

I just think looking at the number of matches played against Top100 players is also a stat to consider when looking at the number of wins. For instance the Dulgheru bit is incredibly skewed because she hadn't even played perhaps more than one Top100 player in her entire career. I'm pretty sure she had played none. Goerges, same thing. She wasn't a Top100 regular until she was Morita's age.

I'm not really sure how we got on this conversation in the first place regarding Morita's quality as a Top100 player. I don't really have much else to say, I think the stats speak for themselves. I just seem to remember a lot of people expecting much more than they are currently getting out of Miss Morita and that is why I called her a giant flop. I know I was expecting a bit more myself. :shrug:

Rising Sun
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:40 AM
Morita's done very well for herself getting to the Top 100 before her 20th birthday. This couldn't be said for Asagoe, Obata, Morigami, Nakamura, etc.

Most Japanese players don't peak until they are well into their 20s, so I'm not going decide if she was a 'flop' or not until the end of her career.

DefyingGravity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
Laura...if she was just mobile...and could think.

She needs to just exclusively play ITF's now...she's done with the juniors, and she really should be. Get used to playing the big girls...start doing better in 50,000 k and 100,000 k tournaments.

duhcity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
The LTA and AELTC probably have a deal with her to continue giving her WC's as long as she plays Wimbledon Juniors.

Sp!ffy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Laura wtf are you doing playing with kids? You're 16, its time to play with the big kids now :yeah: Train for Stanford or something :weirdo:

tennis-insomniac
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Have you seen Laura's match with Jelena she's horrible Where's the girl who beat MJM st Hopman cup!!! if she plays juniors her lost will only cost her confidence.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I just think looking at the number of matches played against Top100 players is also a stat to consider when looking at the number of wins. For instance the Dulgheru bit is incredibly skewed because she hadn't even played perhaps more than one Top100 player in her entire career. I'm pretty sure she had played none. Goerges, same thing. She wasn't a Top100 regular until she was Morita's age.

I'm not really sure how we got on this conversation in the first place regarding Morita's quality as a Top100 player. I don't really have much else to say, I think the stats speak for themselves. I just seem to remember a lot of people expecting much more than they are currently getting out of Miss Morita and that is why I called her a giant flop. I know I was expecting a bit more myself. :shrug:

I will certainly grant you that she has been a substantial disappointment since first breaking through into the top 100 and thus far she has not performed as most would have expected. But she still has time.

Look at a player like Slava. After she broke through into the top 100 by winning Bangalore in the begining of 2007 it really took her another couple of years before she was ready to start forfilling her promise. In early 2009 it would have been very easy to assume her career was going nowhere.

Some players take longer to reach their potential than others and the current trend is that players are overall taking much longer to develop. Morita may indeed end up with a fairly mediocre career but at twenty years old it is still to early to rule out the possibility that she will have a pretty successful career. I have seen so many players careers go up and down during the early years of their careers that I have learnt it is always best to keep an open mind.

heart
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
dont worry laura, you'll still have a better pro career than all those who beat you in juniors:p