PDA

View Full Version : Will Doha be back on the calendar next year? + 2011 Calendar.

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Since Doha is in it's last year of hosting the Sony Ericsson Championships, and the Istanbul tournament will go when they get it, does anyone know if the Doha tournament will be back next year or is it just gone for good?

Calendar for next year :). (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/phupload/2011_WTA_Calendar_7_2_10.pdf)

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hopefully. :)

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
what surface will istanbul YEC be played on?

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Since Doha is in it's last year of hosting the Sony Ericsson Championships, and the Istanbul tournament will go when they get it, does anyone know if the Doha tournament will be back next year or is it just gone for good?

Doha will be back.

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
what surface will istanbul YEC be played on?

Hardcourt for sure.

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hardcourt for sure.

indoors or outdoors do you know?

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
The current tournament is outdoor hard, so presumably it will stay in that venue.

And thanks Meelis, good to know :).

toby345
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
The current tournament is outdoor hard, so presumably it will stay in that venue.

And thanks Meelis, good to know :).

THAT venue for YEC :help:

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Since Prague was sold back to the WTA is it going to be bought and placed on the calendar by next year or will it take a few years?

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

Organizers promised to build a new 10,000-seat stadium.

Since Prague was sold back to the WTA is it going to be bought and placed on the calendar by next year or will it take a few years?

Prague is not in provisional calendar.

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Organizers promised to build a new 10,000-seat stadium.

Prague is not in provisional calendar.
I know, but I'm wondering if they will add it ;). Like Kuala Lumpur was added to this year's calendar a few months after it had been announced.

It seems like that week of Portoroz only is waiting for another European International, but we'll have too see I guess :shrug:.

SVK
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I can´t read it:awww:

Some new tournaments? (I heard about Washington) or some changes?:D

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
It seems like that week of Portoroz only is waiting for another European International, but we'll have too see I guess :shrug:.

Yeah, but which European country is ready to pay for the WTA tournament?

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I can´t read it:awww:

Some new tournaments? (I heard about Washington) or some changes?:D

Washington (same week as Stanford) and Doha back (same week as Acapulco)

Prague and Ponte Vedra Beach gone.

Wozniacki Open same week as Birmingham.

Rome and Madrid swap places.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Istambul for the final is great :yeah:
Copenhagen will be a grass tournament i guess :scratch:
Rome joint :cool:

one bad stuff Fed Cup+Bali again :smash:

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Would love it if the LTA actually got a WTA Tourny that wasn't on grass...

Jorn
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Copenhagen will not be on grass, we don't have any courts... ;)

Move weeks is good, but badly in that week ithink...

Daruma.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
indoors or outdoors do you know?

It will be indoors. The same arena for for FIBA ( basketball ) World Championships, will host the YEC.

Here is the arena:

http://i50.tinypic.com/n5mqfo.jpg

WTA officers visiting İstanbul and the arena:

http://i45.tinypic.com/otfeye.jpg

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Looks like a really intimate stadium! :)

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but which European country is ready to pay for the WTA tournament?
Good point. I heard Germany is trying to get a tournament though :shrug: we'll have to see...

I also heard here Rome was to be two weeks, but I guess that wasn't true.

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
the indoor season has been completely ruined now. i mean 3 MM and one of them is the same week as moscow and thats the week before the YEC. so sad to see.

Keegan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM
The desperately need to move the Asian Hardcourt season because it's all outdoors. Three weeks of an indoor season right before the indoor WTA C'ships is crazy. You don't want people overplaying. The C'ships in Bali should also be before the WTA Championships. If anything it should be Fed Cup/Bali - Fed Cup/Bali - Istanbul.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Good point. I heard Germany is trying to get a tournament though :shrug: we'll have to see...

I also heard here Rome was to be two weeks, but I guess that wasn't true.

I don't think many players want to play in Germany.

Any news on if Doha will be a Premier 5? It was a Tier I before, IIRC.

Hian
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Bali and Fed Cup still in the same week? :|

Protoss
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Why the heck is a premier mandatory tournament (Madrid) the week before a premier 5 tournament (Rome)? :confused:

Julian.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:52 PM
What about Bali in 2012? 2011 will be its last year hosting the YEC.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
The Asian autumn season should be after AO. The Indoor European part of the calendar should be back with some strong tourneys it was a joy to watch.

Would love it if the LTA actually got a WTA Tourny that wasn't on grass...

Hopefully, the next destination for YEC is London.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Copenhagen same week as Birmingham will suck, when Barcelona and Tashkent filled that slot on non-grass courts the line ups were bad.

Birmingham week should have another grass court tournament somewhere in Europe, but I dunno where else there is grass they could play on.

Doesn't Imola in Italy have grass courts they play an ITF tourny there. :lol:

babsi
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Maybe Copenhagen was moved so Caro could play that and Bastad next year ;)
Copenhagen will suck but as long as Caro is there everything is fine;)

babsi
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
All jokes aside, another year I hope for the European indoor season to return, and another year disappointed. For me now, the year ends after the US Open.

After the Australian Open, looks a tiny bit better with Dubai and Doha back to back. Of course Paris makes no sense, should be moved the week before Moscow and maybe try having 3 weeks of indoor tennis before Istanbul which is going to be played indoors.

I am not totally sure about this but I feel that Warsaw and either Barcelona/Estoril should be swapped around. It's obvious Warsaw isn't working in that week but then it would be 4 straight weeks of big events (but then the summer hardcourt season is 5). And if that happened have no restrictions on the number of top 10 players entered for Strasbourg & Estoril/Barcelona.

Washington does look a little random with nothing either side of it, I would try and get a tournament on the east coast, San Diego week. Somewhere like Chicago which has had nothing for about 15 years. International level.
I just can't see Charleston hanging on for much longer with these changes, who will want to play that week after IW and Miami?

Break My Rapture
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Doha is back. :hearts:

jonny84
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I miss all those little European indoor events such as Zurich, Filderstadt (sorry but Stuttgart as an indoor clay tournament is random where it is on the calender), Leizpig and Bratislava. Even Hasslet!

Fantasy Hero
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Zurich was soooo good :awww:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Copenhagen same week as Birmingham will suck, when Barcelona and Tashkent filled that slot on non-grass courts the line ups were bad.

Birmingham week should have another grass court tournament somewhere in Europe, but I dunno where else there is grass they could play on.

Doesn't Imola in Italy have grass courts they play an ITF tourny there. :lol:

Birmingham was to be made a 32 draw if a grass tourn could be found in same week
dont think Copenhagen will count.
they could play a tourn in Manchester :devil:
if Australia could hold 2 tourns in same week, they used to have 3 the Sydney week, why cant LTA do that :o

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Disappointed once again with the provisional calendar.

good to see doha and washington added. however, the week of copenhagan is a poor choice. with the YEC Istanbul being held indoors it would make sense to have paris, copenhagan, luxembourg, linz and moscow all together before the YEC.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Doha is back. :hearts:

Masha is unbeaten there;)

Fantasy Hero
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Disappointed once again with the provisional calendar.

good to see doha and washington added. however, the week of copenhagan is a poor choice. with the YEC Istanbul being held indoors it would make sense to have paris, copenhagan, luxembourg, linz and moscow all together before the YEC.

ITA :worship:

Ballbasher
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
I don't think many players want to play in Germany.

Any news on if Doha will be a Premier 5? It was a Tier I before, IIRC.
Erm...why?
Stuttgart and before Leipzig, Hamburg, Hannover & Berlin never had bad entry lists! Stuttgart was even voted to the player's favourite tournament.

Moving Kuala Lumpur one more week backwards is horrible. :help: Who would want to play in Malaysia for one week and then travel to Indian Wells for the next, even if they have 3-4 days of rest.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
remember the time when Asian season was after Miami so all the clay court clowns could play there.

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
They need to establish better seasons :o like choose a time for Asia, and choose a time for European indoors :weirdo:. Even the clay International "season" is being shrunk so there's not much left.

VIKA?
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Barcelona and Estoril in the same week:sobbing:

PLP
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
the indoor season has been completely ruined now. i mean 3 MM and one of them is the same week as moscow and thats the week before the YEC. so sad to see.

100% THIS!

What happened to the indoor season? It used to be one of my favorite times of the year. Basically nothing in Europe now.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
shouldn't we just try to make a petiction to reintroduce the indoor season? :scratch:

:rolls:

Meelis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
What happened to the indoor season?

Not enough $$$ to stay in the calendar.

Raz0r
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Erm...why?
Stuttgart and before Leipzig, Hamburg, Hannover & Berlin never had bad entry lists! Stuttgart was even voted to the player's favourite tournament.

Moving Kuala Lumpur one more week backwards is horrible. :help: Who would want to play in Malaysia for one week and then travel to Indian Wells for the next, even if they have 3-4 days of rest.

Now there won't be any top-10 players playing in KL next year, and we were lucky enough to have 2 this year :sad:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Birmingham was to be made a 32 draw if a grass tourn could be found in same week
dont think Copenhagen will count.
they could play a tourn in Manchester :devil:
if Australia could hold 2 tourns in same week, they used to have 3 the Sydney week, why cant LTA do that :o

That would work better having a tournament in Manchester also that week because the 62 draw at Birmingham is stupid imo.

Also tennis in the UK is seen as elitist so putting a tournament up North my increase its popularity in the North of England and Wales.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
100% THIS!

What happened to the indoor season? It used to be one of my favorite times of the year. Basically nothing in Europe now.

WTA counts Moscow as an Asian tournament too :help:

Richie's
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Really pathetic. WTA need some good marketing & management there. It's going worse and worse the last years.

The schedul is horrible, removing LA is rediculous + no indoor season anymore...

Just a questin... What on hell Bogota is doing there?????

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Bogota must have money and to be honest I would like to see maybe one or two more tourneys in South America, like in Brazil or Argentina.

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Now there won't be any top-10 players playing in KL next year, and we were lucky enough to have 2 this year :sad:
Maybe Williams... She doesn't care about Indian Wells and she would be in Asia for Dubai and Doha before that.

dsanders06
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
They really need to have one full block of European indoors events, and one full block of the Asian outdoors events, rather than the current jumbles in both February and Sept/Oct. I would suggest a full Asian swing in the autumn with Dubai, Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo and Beijing, building upto the YEC. Then they could move Moscow, Luxembourg and Linz and have the indoors season in Feb along with Paris.

Richie's
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
Bogota must have money and to be honest I would like to see maybe one or two more tourneys in South America, like in Brazil or Argentina.

My question goes for the part of schedul they put it. Just two clay tournaments in the middle of a hard court season... How pathetic it can be?? To me at least, it's joke + the previous years

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
I agree about random clay court tournaments slotted in the calendar. They are so stupid.
It is great for Clay MM Queens like MJMS. :rolleyes:

These current clay tournaments after Wimbledon are also kinda random, why can't they be hard court internationals?

dsanders06
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
They really need to have one full block of European indoors events, and one full block of the Asian outdoors events, rather than the current jumbles in both February and Sept/Oct. I would suggest a full Asian swing in the autumn with Dubai, Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo and Beijing, building upto the YEC. Then they could move Moscow, Luxembourg and Linz and have the indoors season in Feb along with Paris.

Using the current 2011 calendar, these are the changes I would make:

*EDITED*

FEB

7th
Luxembourg (International), Copenhagen (Intl)

14th
Paris (Premier), Memphis (Intl), Bogata (Intl)

21st
Moscow (Premier), Quebec City (Intl), Acapulco (Intl)

28th
Linz (Intl), Monterrey (Intl)

SEPT

12th
Kuala Lumpur (Intl), Pattaya City (Intl)

19th
Doha (Premier)

26th
Dubai (Premier)

OCT

3rd
Osaka (Intl), Guangzhou (Intl)

10th
Tokyo (Premier 5)

17th
Beijing (Premier Mandatory)

24th
Bali

31st
YEC

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Who's the jerk that decided to put a non-grass tournament in the grass season? :weirdo:

We need more grass tournaments! :rolleyes:

archie4
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM

FEB

7th
Luxembourg (International), Pattaya City (International)

14th

21st
Moscow (Premier), Acapulco (Intl)

28th

SEPT

12th
Tashkent (Intl), Quebec City (Intl)

19th
Doha (Premier), Seoul (Intl)

26th
Dubai (Premier), Kuala Lumpur (Intl)

OCT

3rd
Tokyo (Premier 5), Guangzhou (Intl)

10th

17th
Osaka (Intl)

24th
YEC

31st
Bali

Good idea, dsanders06! I think this line-up looks really good. The only issue I see would be having Doha (Premier), Dubai (Premier 5), Tokyo (Premier 5), and Beijing (Premier Mandatory) all back to back. It could get crazy. What about putting Osaka in between Dubai and Tokyo? Bali should also come before the YEC. The spring indoors season combined with the Latin American swing works well too! (Quebec City could also swap spots with Pattaya City.) It would make so much more sense to do it this way, but the tournaments would have to be willing to switch dates.

dsanders06
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:47 AM
Good idea, dsanders06! I think this line-up looks really good. The only issue I see would be having Doha (Premier), Dubai (Premier 5), Tokyo (Premier 5), and Beijing (Premier Mandatory) all back to back. It could get crazy. What about putting Osaka in between Dubai and Tokyo? Bali should also come before the YEC. The spring indoors season combined with the Latin American swing works well too! (Quebec City could also swap spots with Pattaya City.) It would make so much more sense to do it this way, but the tournaments would have to be willing to switch dates.

Yeah, I did notice it got a bit crammed with all the Asian Premier events, but I felt the top players should probably get a week off before the YEC... although, if, like you suggest, Bali and the YEC swapped round, that would solve that problem, and obviously it would be far more logical if the season ended with the proper YEC. The Fed Cup final would have to be pushed back a week, but I don't think that would be too big a problem...

Also, if that Copenhagen event is indoors that could be in the February indoors season, rather than the random pre-Wimbledon spot.

Andy.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:57 AM
They have totally destroyed the tour with this hideous schedule. Firstly with all if the clay court MM events after Wimbledon and then with basically culling the European Indoor season after the US Open.

sakya23
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
Only issues I see are YEC and Bali should be switched. The last tournament of WTA season HAS to be YEC not Bali.

I would downgrade tournaments like Warsaw and New Havven since they don't get Premier quality players. Look at Past two years of these tournaments. Very Very Weak.

hellas719
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM

*EDITED*

FEB

7th

14th

21st

28th

SEPT

12th

19th
Doha (Premier)

26th
Dubai (Premier)

OCT

3rd

10th
Tokyo (Premier 5)

17th

24th
Bali

31st
YEC

Good idea, but it's too hot for Doha and Dubai in September :shrug:

hellas719
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I hope they make a MM in Greece :awww:
I know that there are grass courts in Crete, and also some artificial grass courts in Paros, and both are popular tourist islands :)
There are tons of indoor arenas in Athens and Pireaus (from the Olympics), as well as some in Larissa, Thessaloniki, Xanthi, Patras, Crete, Kozani, etc. :p
And we have the Athens Lawn Tennis Club (clay), Athens Olympic Tennis Centre (hard), and a tennis club on Rhodes, another popular island with a centre court capacity of 1,600 (hard)

The least the WTA could do is give us the YEC from 2014-2016 :awww:

dsanders06
Jul 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Good idea, but it's too hot for Doha and Dubai in September :shrug:

Really? I thought it was pretty much the same weather all year round in that region...

(Geography really isn't my strong point :p )

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Really? I thought it was pretty much the same weather all year round in that region...

(Geography really isn't my strong point :p )

It's always very warm in that region but in summer it is still warmer than in winter ;)

KournikovaFan91
Jul 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Athens Olympic Tennis Centre (hard),

I don't get why they don't have a tournament here.

A MM after Wimbledon on Hard Courts in Europe would be a good idea imo, before Istanbul and it would be convienant for players to play both Athens and Istanbul:shrug:

When people talk about players killing the tour, its the screwed up calendar and roadmap that has done more damage than ballbashers or pushers.

iGOAT
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I really wish they would replace what used to be Istanbul with a tournament at the Olympic Center in Athens :o.

TennisFan66
Jul 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I don't get why they don't have a tournament here.

Money? .. WTA charges a licencing fee of almost US$5mio for an International tournament.

Shaun:::
Jul 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM

*EDITED*

FEB

7th

14th

21st

28th

SEPT

12th

19th
Doha (Premier)

26th
Dubai (Premier)

OCT

3rd

10th
Tokyo (Premier 5)

17th

24th
Bali

31st
YEC

it's a little bit cold for Beijing in later october
so i would like to change a little bit

SEPT

12th

19th
Doha (Premier)

26th
Tokyo (Premier 5)

OCT

3rd

10th

17th
Dubai (Premier)

24th
Bali

31st
YEC

darkangel23
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I don't get their logic.... Why putting Guangzhou and Seoul in the same week?! And one week before no event in Asia, quite confusing...
I like the change Madrid/Rome though but why Warsaw just before RG?! They could put it in the Barcelona/Estoril week and one of these two could be right before RG, would be way more logically...

A-Bond
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM
My perfect Calendar would be:

Brisbane, Auckland
Sydney , Hobart
AO
Fed Cup 1
Paris Indoors, Monterrey
Zurich, Bahia
Moscow, Memphis
Luxembourg, Bogota
Acapulco
Indian Wells
Miami
PVB, Marbella
Charleston, Barcelona
Fed Cup 2
Stuttgart, Estoril
Madrid
Rome, Fes
Strasbourg
RG
Birmingham
Eastbourne), -s'Hertogenbosch
Wimbly
Bastad, Budapest
Portoroz), Palermo
Stanford, Washington
San Diego
Cicninnati
Montréal
New Haven
US Open
Pattaya City, Kuala Lumpur
Tokyo, Seoul
Beijing
Osaka, Bangalore
Dubai, Guangzhou
YEC Bali
YEC Athens

With that Schedule there would be an indoor streak and an Asian Tour, not mixed up like it's nowadays. As a fan of the indoor-Events, I'd love if they would come back :sad:

Rix643
Jul 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I miss all those little European indoor events such as Zurich, Filderstadt (sorry but Stuttgart as an indoor clay tournament is random where it is on the calender), Leizpig and Bratislava. Even Hasslet!

100% THIS!

There are still quie a lot of nice European Indoor tournaments in this period, only at ITF-level. Still lots of top 100 players to be seen.

Why? Basically this:

Not enough $$$ to stay in the calendar.

Money? .. WTA charges a licencing fee of almost US$5mio for an International tournament.

The WTA wants the women to be paid eqaully, the tournaments want the women to be paid what they deserve. Pure economics, and in this time quite understandable.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
OK, taking into account the factors some people mentioned, this is how I'd structure the calendar. Instead of having this Premier 5/Mandatory business, I'd just have 8 Premier Mandatory tournaments. Premier events in green, Prem Mand in green + bold:

3 Jan: Brisbane (hard), Auckland (hard)
10 Jan: Sydney (hard), Hobart (hard)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
31 Jan: Fed Cup I
7 Feb: Linz (indoor hard), Copenhagen (indoor hard)
14 Feb: Moscow (indoor hard), Quebec City (indoor hard), Bogata (clay)
21 Feb: Paris (indoor hard), Memphis (indoor hard), Acapulco (clay)
28 Feb: Luxembourg (indoor hard), Monterrey (hard)
7/14 Mar: Indian Wells (hard)
21/28 Mar: Miami (hard)
4 Apr: Charleston (green clay), Marbella (clay)
11 Apr: Fed Cup II
18 Apr: Stuttgart (indoor clay), Fes (clay)
25 Apr: Madrid (clay)
2 May: Warsaw (clay), Estoril (clay)
9 May: Rome (clay)
16 May: Strasbourg (clay), Barcelona (clay)
FRENCH OPEN
6 Jun: Nottingham (grass), Bastad (clay)
13 Jun: Birmingham (grass), Palermo (clay)
20 Jun: Eastbourne (grass), 's-Hertogenbosch (grass)
WIMBLEDON
11 Jul: Budapest (clay), Portoroz (hard)
18 Jul: Bad Gastein (clay), Athens (hard)
25 Jul: Stanford (hard), Washington DC (hard)
1 Aug: San Diego (hard), Los Angeles (hard)
8 Aug: Toronto (hard)
15 Aug: Cincinnati (hard)
22 Aug: New Haven (hard)
US OPEN
12 Sept: Osaka (hard), Guangzhou (hard)
19 Sept: Tokyo (hard) , Seoul (hard)
26 Sept: Beijing (hard)
3 Oct: Kuala Lumpur (hard), Tashkent (hard)
10 Oct: Dubai (hard)
17 Oct: Doha (hard), Pattaya City (hard)
24 Oct: Bali (hard)
31 Oct: WTA Championships: Istanbul (hard)
7 Nov: Fed Cup final

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
One thing: is the YEC in Istanbul going to be held indoors or outdoors?

iGOAT
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
OK, taking into account the factors some people mentioned, this is how I'd structure the calendar. Instead of having this Premier 5/Mandatory business, I'd just have 8 Premier Mandatory tournaments. Premier events in green, Prem Mand in green + bold:

3 Jan: Brisbane (hard), Auckland (hard)
10 Jan: Sydney (hard), Hobart (hard)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
31 Jan: Fed Cup I
7 Feb: Linz (indoor hard), Copenhagen (indoor hard)
14 Feb: Moscow (indoor hard), Quebec City (indoor hard), Bogata (clay)
21 Feb: Paris (indoor hard), Memphis (indoor hard), Acapulco (clay)
28 Feb: Luxembourg (indoor hard), Monterrey (hard)
7/14 Mar: Indian Wells (hard)
21/28 Mar: Miami (hard)
4 Apr: Charleston (green clay), Marbella (clay)
11 Apr: Fed Cup II
18 Apr: Stuttgart (indoor clay), Fes (clay)
25 Apr: Madrid (clay)
2 May: Warsaw (clay), Estoril (clay)
9 May: Rome (clay)
16 May: Strasbourg (clay), Barcelona (clay)
FRENCH OPEN
6 Jun: Nottingham (grass), Bastad (clay)
13 Jun: Birmingham (grass), Palermo (clay)
20 Jun: Eastbourne (grass), 's-Hertogenbosch (grass)
WIMBLEDON
11 Jul: Budapest (clay), Portoroz (hard)
18 Jul: Bad Gastein (clay), Athens (hard)
25 Jul: Stanford (hard), Washington DC (hard)
1 Aug: San Diego (hard), Los Angeles (hard)
8 Aug: Toronto (hard)
15 Aug: Cincinnati (hard)
22 Aug: New Haven (hard)
US OPEN
12 Sept: Osaka (hard), Guangzhou (hard)
19 Sept: Tokyo (hard) , Seoul (hard)
26 Sept: Beijing (hard)
3 Oct: Kuala Lumpur (hard), Tashkent (hard)
10 Oct: Dubai (hard)
17 Oct: Doha (hard), Pattaya City (hard)
24 Oct: Bali (hard)
31 Oct: WTA Championships: Istanbul (hard)
7 Nov: Fed Cup final
That's a good schedule!

However, I will add my input that Warsaw should be the week before the French for three reasons 1) all the other majors have a Premier event the week before them, so it would make sense to keep things that way 2) Even if they move it forward, it is still 4 weeks of Premier events in a row, which is the main problem right now, and 3) with it being after Rome/Madrid now, players who have struggled in those can take a wildcard if they want more play, but if it is between them, players will be focused on the two events around Warsaw, rather than it.

tommyk75
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't like the tour's policy of introducing more and more Premier-Mandatory events. Sure, it's great for those events, but it hurts the other Premier events around them. For example, the reason why Warsaw gets such bad draws is because it's bookended by Madrid and Rome, and no way are the top players (at least the sane ones) going to play all of those events in a row heading into the French. The exact same situation is going to happen to Charleston (right after Indian Wells & Miami), San Diego (before Cincinnati & Canada), New Haven (after Cincinnati & Canada), and Moscow (sandwiched between Beijing & WTA chps).

Years ago, the Tier 1 Events used to be guaranteed 5 of the Top 10 players (including 2 of the Top 4). I think it was a much better system. Those events had solid fields, and there was still flexibility for the players to support Tier 2 events that they liked to play. Plus, it allowed for a greater number of high-level events (Tiers 1 & 2) altogether.

tommyk75
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Here's my proposal for the tour:

1/3 Doha (I) - Johannesburg (new event)
1/10 Dubai (II) - Brisbane - Auckland
1/17 Sydney (II) - Canberra
1/24 MELBOURNE (moved back one week)
2/ 7 Pattaya
2/14 Paris (II) - Memphis
2/21 Stuttgart (II, now on Indoor HC or Carpet) - Monterrey
2/28 Acapulco (now on HC)
3/7 Indian Wells (I, now only one week)
3/14 & 3/21 Key Biscayne (I)
3/28 Houston (new) - Buenos Aires (new)
4/4 Charleston (I) - Estoril - Bogota
4/11 Tampa (new) - Fes
4/18 Madrid (I)
4/25 Marbella
5/2 Warsaw (II)
5/9 Rome (I)
5/16 Barcelona - Strasbourg
5/23 & 5/30 PARIS
6/6 Palermo
6/13 Birmingham (II, upgraded)
6/20 Eastbourne (II) - Hertogenbosch
6/27 & 7/4 WIMBLEDON (moved back one week)
7/11 Budapest (now HC)
7/18 Oklahoma City (new) - Bastad (now HC)
7/25 Los Angeles (II, brought back) - Bad Gastein (now HC)
8/1 La Costa (II) - Portoroz
8/8 Palo Alto (II)
8/15 Montreal/Toronto (I)
8/22 New Haven (II)
8/29 & 9/5 FLUSHING MEADOW
9/12 Quebec City - Tashkent
9/19 & 9/26 Fed Cup (now a 10-day event at a single rotating site, like the World Cup)
10/3 Osaka - Seoul
10/10 Tokyo (I, now Indoors)
10/17 Beijing (I, now Indoors) - Luxembourg
10/24 Antwerp (II, brought back) - Bali (now Indoors and a regular tournament)
10/31 Zurich (II, brought back) - Copenhagen
11/7 Moscow (II) - Linz
11/14 ISTANBUL (WTA Chps)
*The top players would be expected to commit to 6 of the 9 Tier I (or Premier 5 or whatever you want to call it) Events and also 4 of the 14 Tier II Events.

heart
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
i am sure doha will be back, and in hardcourt of course:)
i think its still gonna be february...

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
That's a good schedule!

However, I will add my input that Warsaw should be the week before the French for three reasons 1) all the other majors have a Premier event the week before them, so it would make sense to keep things that way 2) Even if they move it forward, it is still 4 weeks of Premier events in a row, which is the main problem right now, and 3) with it being after Rome/Madrid now, players who have struggled in those can take a wildcard if they want more play, but if it is between them, players will be focused on the two events around Warsaw, rather than it.

Hmm, I take your point,but I just don't think Warsaw has been getting Premier-level fields in the last couple of years. Personally, I don't think having Premiers the week before Slams is a good idea (I also propose downgrading New Haven) - it's a bit different for the AO and Wimbledon where there's so little warm-up time beforehand so it's necessary to have big events right before, but I just don't see the need when there's been weeks of warm-up events like before RG and the USO. Don't forget that, in my proposal, the players wouldn't have to play either Stuttgart or Warsaw (they could just play Rome and Madrid if they so wished). ;)

I don't like the tour's policy of introducing more and more Premier-Mandatory events. Sure, it's great for those events, but it hurts the other Premier events around them. For example, the reason why Warsaw gets such bad draws is because it's bookended by Madrid and Rome, and no way are the top players (at least the sane ones) going to play all of those events in a row heading into the French. The exact same situation is going to happen to Charleston (right after Indian Wells & Miami), San Diego (before Cincinnati & Canada), New Haven (after Cincinnati & Canada), and Moscow (sandwiched between Beijing & WTA chps).

Years ago, the Tier 1 Events used to be guaranteed 5 of the Top 10 players (including 2 of the Top 4). I think it was a much better system. Those events had solid fields, and there was still flexibility for the players to support Tier 2 events that they liked to play. Plus, it allowed for a greater number of high-level events (Tiers 1 & 2) altogether.

I'm not sure I agree with this, I think it's really a good idea to try and gather all the top players at a certain elite level of tournament. I think 9 like they currently have is one too many, I think they should cut it to 8. When they first brought in mandatory Masters tournaments on the men's tour, it didn't work so well at first, but now it works great, so I do think the "Roadmap"'s bumpy start is just teething problems.

Rix643
Jul 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
In a couple of years from now, the WTA tour will only be a couple of premier tournaments. The rest will be gone or will become 100k+ touraments...