PDA

View Full Version : Vera will win tomorrow's Wimby final if...

chuvack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
...Serena serves fewer than 13 aces. You heard it here first.

Serena has not really played well or had any good wins in the tourney, but she is serving like never before. It reminds me of '99-'00 when Sampras could still win Wimby even playing like shit from the baseline.

If the level of Serena's serve drops off tomorow, Vera will, barring a choke, be the 2010 Wimbledon titlist.

poulao
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
That would be nice :angel:

The Witch-king
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Vera will not win tommorrows wimby final.

Serena will show up for ONCE.

Serendy Willick
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Serena has beaten much tougher competition.

duhcity
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Vera will win tomorrow's Wimby final if Common goes long tonight.

Pureracket
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
According to the stats, (19 winners, 14 Unforced errors) Serena didn't really play that poorly in the semi.

chuvack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
According to the stats, (19 winners, 14 Unforced errors) Serena didn't really play that poorly in the semi.

You know as well as I do that UE/winner stats are always inflated on grass, and cant be relied upon to tell about the quality of play.

Pureracket
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
You know as well as I do that UE/winner stats are always inflated on grass, and cant be relied upon to tell about the quality of play.I'm confused, then. In the past, when Venus and Serena would hit 5946034573690341 errors in their matches on grass, the numbers would be used to validate what the fans would call a "bad match."

Now that Serena's Error/Unforced Error ratio is in her favour, we now have to consider "inflated numbers?" I don't think Serena is ever going to win one of these quality-of-tennis arguments.

Leo_DFP
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
I agree that this is not totally a foregone conclusion. Serena hasn't been that brilliant apart from serving, and I do think her semifinal was her worst match so far. Zvonareva's balls are effective and tricky on grass, although obviously she won't have the lefty advantage that Kvitova had.

Plus, I think Vera's nerves will be eased by the fact that she's the overwhelming underdog in her first ever Grand Slam final. She's gonna have her back against the wall from the start, and tht should help her.

M.P
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
is this a jinx thread???

Leo_DFP
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
It reminds me of '99-'00 when Sampras could still win Wimby even playing like shit from the baseline.

For the record, Sampras' final in 1999 vs. Agassi is one of the best tennis matches ever played. Brilliance from everywhere.

But you can compare Serena at Wimbledon right now to Federer, even. The only reason why Federer won in 2007 and 2009 (and stayed close in 2008) was his serve. His game besides the serve has been unremarkable for quite some time.

Jolene
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Being an underdog against Serena didn't help Safina much. I would kill for Vera to win, but I don't think there's much chance of it.

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Being an underdog against Serena didn't help Safina much. I would kill for Vera to win, but I don't think there's much chance of it.

This only shows what for sicko you ARE!

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Vera is not going to win... unless Serena's serve is really off

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Has Zvonareva's success on grass really tricked TF that she is a good grasscourt player?

Olórin
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Maria was a good win in retrospect. Much as her level of play in the second week has been pissing me off I can't argue with results - she's done what she needed to do to win in straights.

ZODIAC
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
VEra starts slowly and if Serena wins the first set she relaxes and will win,that serve will make the difference tomorrow.Vera will be nervous that will be her downfall

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Fingers crossed. :yeah:

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
she wins two sets.

Next time make the question harder.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
she wins two sets.

:lol:

Gdsimmons
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Maria and Li Na were way more tough competition than Vera. Hell even Kvitova was a tougher opponent. Unless Serena is in an arm cast or something, I do not see Vera beating Miss Serena.

Serendy Willick
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
It is gonna be competitive. If Serena shows up with that hot mess ground game like she did in the semifinal, Zvonoreva is gonna have a chance. However, this is the Wimbeldon finals, I fully expect Serena to come with her best.

Daruma.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
she wins two sets.

:worship::worship:

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
It is gonna be competitive. If Serena shows up with that hot mess ground game like she did in the semifinal, Zvonoreva is gonna have a chance. However, this is the Wimbeldon finals, I fully expect Serena to come with her best.
Serena committed 14 unforced errors in 20 service games and one tiebreak, yet her ground game was a "hot mess?" I'm going to need someone to explain that to me, because I don't get it. :scratch:

makirilenko
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Vera will win tomorrow if Tonya Harding gets involved.

sweetpeas
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
As long as Serena give her all,I'm alright!Serena knows Vera playing great,single and doubles!Believe me Serena knows that!

Danči Dementia
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Vera will win tomorrow is Serena doesn´t shows up :o

Serendy Willick
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Serena committed 14 unforced errors in 20 service games and one tiebreak, yet her ground game was a "hot mess?" I'm going to need someone to explain that to me, because I don't get it. :scratch:
I thought the same thing too until I watched the first set. After the first game Ree couldnt seem to get a winner off the ground against Kivitova in the first. Kivitova hit some nice shots, but some of those were garbage groundies from Serena. Shes gonna have to do better in the final.

manu32
Na Li was a good win for Serena,really,tough player,Sharapova was correct but Kvitova was poor and it was the worst match for Serena.....
Zvonareva won against Kim,who never was a grass player....
Come on Ree

manu32
Vera will win tomorrow is Serena doesn´t shows up :o

excellent

Slutiana
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
I guess you didn't watch the match then. Her ground game was horrendous

I'm sure she'll pick it up tomorrow though. Hopefully it will be 3 sets.

mauresmofan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Vera will win tomorrow's Wimby final if...a swarm of africanised killer bees invade centre court and Serena swats at the queen bee with her racket killing her and in retaliation the swarm start stinging Serena in the face especially the eyes.

http://www.bees-on-the-net.com/image-files/padres-bee-swarm.jpg

hingis-seles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
Vera will win tomorrow's Wimby final if...a swarm of africanised killer bees invade centre court and Serena swats at the queen bee with her racket killing her and in retaliation the swarm start stinging Serena in the face especially the eyes.

Even then it isn't a given. That might help make it a three-setter.

azinna
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
:lol:

Gdsimmons
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM

http://www.bees-on-the-net.com/image-files/padres-bee-swarm.jpg

:haha::haha:

Even then it isn't a given. That might help make it a three-setter.

:lol::lol:

darrinbaker00
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
I thought the same thing too until I watched the first set. After the first game Ree couldnt seem to get a winner off the ground against Kivitova in the first. Kivitova hit some nice shots, but some of those were garbage groundies from Serena. Shes gonna have to do better in the final.

I guess you didn't watch the match then. Her ground game was horrendous

I'm sure she'll pick it up tomorrow though. Hopefully it will be 3 sets.
OK, I get it now. Since every other groundstroke Serena hit wasn't a winner, that meant her ground game was bad. Thank you both so much for clearing that up. :yeah:

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:12 AM
I'm confused, then. In the past, when Venus and Serena would hit 5946034573690341 errors in their matches on grass, the numbers would be used to validate what the fans would call a "bad match."

Now that Serena's Error/Unforced Error ratio is in her favour, we now have to consider "inflated numbers?" I don't think Serena is ever going to win one of these quality-of-tennis arguments.
Isn't that interesting?

Some if these posters have lost their marble at argument shifting.

The same poster call their matches error-fest, all of sudden, greater number of winners have become inflated.

fightserena!!!
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
Isn't that interesting?

Some if these posters have lost their marble at argument shifting.

The same poster call their matches error-fest, all of sudden, greater number of winners have become inflated.

Not really...if you think about it, they are being consistent in their argument by saying that on grass the stats show inflated winners. That means, if you see a match where Williams commits 2875394875298 errors, then by this logic, it was not only as bad as the stats say, but even worse. If they error/winner count is more favourable then yes, they made less errors, but still, the stats are still inflating the winners so there's no guarantee that is was a great game. The argument seems consistent to me. Although personally I don't think those stats are any way to tell how the match is being played.

Serena's ground game was off in the semis, but it was off against Li and Maria too. She was on in the earlier rounds, I expect her to struggle early but come out on top in the final, hopefully in straights.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Why do people make asinine threads such as this?

mdterp01
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:54 AM
Well I'll tell you what. I am one that is not saying "how many games will Serena lose tomorrow" and all of that. Vera is a different player and it seems she's gotten things together. She is a great scrambler and I think that she has more than a shot tomorrow. Everyone was saying that Stosur had the French in the bag. I don't know why I feel uneasy but I don't think people are giving Vera enough credit. I expect Serena to lift her groundstrokes level but I give Vera more of a chance than others seem to be. The key for her is to serve well and stay with Serena. If Serena gets a break early and smells blood, its probably over. Vera has done a good job though of coming back from a set down the past two sets. No matter what happens, I hope she keeps this level up. I've always like Bepa. :kiss: But..still rooting for Serena tomorrow.

But yeah as to the OP...Serena has served well throughout the tournament and Vera has to hope for an off day and more Lazyrena footwork to have a chance imo.

wildemu
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:29 AM
only way if vera wins is if serena has spicy bean burritos for breakfast

DefyingGravity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
I just want Vera to make it competitive. It would be nice to have a competitive, non-all Williams final that features a Williams and another player. Something in the veins of Davenport-Venus would be nice.

Foon_JJ
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Good luck Vera!!!!! :hearts:

Sp!ffy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Vera will win tomorrow if Serena dies within the next 5 hours.

hingis-seles
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
only way if vera wins is if serena has spicy bean burritos for breakfast

Nine years too late. Jennifer already benefitted from this one.

siddharthrajpal
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
serena and vera were not playing as good as the semi final opponents, the reason that they won is that both pironkova and kvitova have awful forehand and were so inconsistent and inconfident .... but if they play the way they played in the semis, vera will win...

Calypso
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:33 PM
...Serena serves fewer than 13 aces. You heard it here first.

Serena has not really played well or had any good wins in the tourney, but she is serving like never before. It reminds me of '99-'00 when Sampras could still win Wimby even playing like shit from the baseline.

If the level of Serena's serve drops off tomorow, Vera will, barring a choke, be the 2010 Wimbledon titlist.

Sampras outplayed Agassi in the '99 final, regularly winning superb baseline rallies, he didn't only win with his serve, which itself was outstanding;).

Expect Serena's service exhibition to continue in the final, I highly doubt it will go off when she needs it the most.

Vera is playing really well, but I fear for her if Serena goes into Serverena mode!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Serena retires ?

Pureracket
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
It's winnable for Vera. She has to stay focused and capitalize on any opportunities. Also, Vera's forehand, the weaker of her shots, needs to withstand Serena's barrage of serves and groundies.

Serena should continue to serve well and must take advantage of Vera's second serve blunders. She must also play smart. Because she is more of a force off of the ground than Vera, Serena has to be patient with her shots and wait for the right moment to strike. Vera is not known as a scrambler which bodes well for Serena.

saniapower
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
yes Vera will win

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Wrong. Serena outplayed Vera from the baseline.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2010-07-03/201007031278171099375.html

The only chance that Vera Zvonareva had of winning Wimbledon was if Serena Williams served poorly. Unfortunately for the Russian, it didn't pan out that way.

Serena has served incredibly well throughout the Championships and the American continued in that rich vein of form.

She served nine aces in her 6-3, 6-2 victory, and in doing so took her tally to a record-breaking 89, which incredibly is 59 more than her nearest rival.

Amazingly she won 31 of the 33 points that she contested when she got her first serve in, which meant that Vera was always up against it.

The Russian tried to make the most of all of the looks she got at Serena's second serve, winning 10 of the 17 points (59%) when that happened but it wasn't enough for her to be able to garner a single break point in either set.

And then once the two players got involved in baseline rallies Serena's superior weight of shot was evident for all to see.

And if Zvonerava ever dropped the ball short she was severely punished; the American posted perfect numbers in that regard winning all 14 of her approaches to the net.

Zvonerava needed to serve well to stand any chance and she did; making 75% of her first serves but it was only a matter of time before Serena manufactured an opportunity to break and overall she converted three of her seven break points to end up a comfortable winner.

Serena's played well throughout the Championships but she's served magnificently well, surely better than anybody else ever has here in SW19, and that's the one shot that has separated her from everybody else in the draw, and because of that she thoroughly deserves to be crowned champion.

......Once again Serena makes people look foolish.