PDA

View Full Version : New tournament: Washington

babsi
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Apparently to be held the same week as Stanford next year. I guess they brought the tournament off Ponte Vedra Beach and it makes sense being this week as there will be no tournament in Istanbul next year as they host the YEC.

zhengjie_lina
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
why they keep holding YEC in middle east???

tucker1989
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Really?! That would be amazing. Source?

Josh.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Is there a tournament replacing PVB? Or has the green clay season become a one horse race?

Rui.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
So two tournaments in the same country the same week? :confused:

Mattographer
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Eh? Would it be better if it held the same week with, let's say, Cincinnati or Canada. It would be stupid to go to the east coast for one week and then go to the other coast.

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Please don't tell me they're going to play YEC on clay. :unsure:

M.P
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Istanbul is hard court

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
any new tournament is a good thing right now, as with the economical way the world is, getting sponsors for tournaments is not easy.

OohZuzana
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Washington is SO deserving, best stop in the ATP. Yessssssss.

Daruma.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Please don't tell me they're going to play YEC on clay. :unsure:

I think it will be indoors. Carpet or hard courts, I don't know. :rolleyes:

iGOAT
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Is there a tournament replacing PVB? Or has the green clay season become a one horse race?
This is replacing PVB :unsure: so only one green clay tournament left :scared:.

Why wouldn't they put this before Stanford :unsure: then players can use this International as a warm-up for the US Open Series, like Cincinnati used to be. Then they could either add a European International or just shift the last few forward a week.

OohZuzana
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Calendar

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/phupload/2011_WTA_Calendar_7_2_10.pdf

OohZuzana
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
It's gonna be a TOTAL scrubfest!

ZUZANAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
sounds exciting. will it be played at the same venue as atp?

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM

:hearts:

I hope they get some stars to come!!! :hearts:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Really glad the green clay is leaving. It does nothing for the players and I won't be going to Charleston anymore.

2moretogo
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
If this is true I would be so excited! Washington ATP event is alot of fun and pretty affordable actually. Plus, all matches start after work. Great atmosphere too.

Drake1980
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Cool!

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:47 PM

Istanbul is in Europe.;)

Julian.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
So will Copenhagen be played on grass in 2011? It has been moved to grass season during Birmingham's week.

ptkten
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Great news, the ATP event in Washington is really well-run.

Richie's
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hot mess... WTA seems to turn into USTA. This is really bad....

simonsaystennis
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hot mess... WTA seems to turn into USTA. This is really bad....

:weirdo: They didn't add another American tournament. They took away Ponte Vedra Beach and added Washington... same number as the past few years, so calm down.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Ponte Vedra was a disaster as a tourny and green clay is so old fashioned anyway.

Richie's
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
:weirdo: They didn't add another American tournament. They took away Ponte Vedra Beach and added Washington... same number as the past few years, so calm down.

They should cut tourines from USA.

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM

Yeah, they definitely should. Why host tournaments in places where the events will sell out when you can let the stars of the WTA play before thousands of empty seats? :weirdo:

It's kind of like the World Cup. It's been great to watch all of these games with thousands upon thousands of empty seats, as opposed to the attendance records set in the USA back when it was just 24 teams instead of 32.

STEP TO THIS, MUTHAFUCKA!!!!

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Yeah, they definitely should. Why host tournaments in places where the events will sell out when you can let the stars of the WTA play before thousands of empty seats? :weirdo:

It's kind of like the World Cup. It's been great to watch all of these games with thousands upon thousands of empty seats, as opposed to the attendance records set in the USA back when it was just 24 teams instead of 32.

I agree to a certain point, but i'm guessing LA was axed because their was less than 100 people who showed up to the final. I just feel that there shouldn't be that amount of tournaments in the US because other countries, i'm sure, would have just as big crowds yet their not having a chance to prove this. :)

Caipirinha Guy
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Wow :eek: The break between Stuttgart and Rome. Maybe they can move Warsaw there. :help:
And Copenhagen in the middle of grass season :eek: :spit:

hurricanejeanne
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM

I would so go to a WTA event in DC. :hearts:

ptkten
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Women's tennis is more popular in the United States than it is in many other countries so that's why they get more tournaments. Yes, LA sucked, but LA is not a great sports town in general. San Diego and Washington will have good crowds unlike many of the European and Asian tournaments.

ptkten
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Just checked, the Washington event will not be combined, and will in fact be held in Howard County, Md a suburb of DC, not where the Legg Mason is held. Not sure why they are doing this, but hopefully it's a nice facility.

Richie's
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM

With only 2 Americans on Top, there aren't any reason to play 50 + % of the WTA tournemrnts in USA. Enough is enough. As it says it's a Tour and it should be a world tour, not tour of USA.

mckyle.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
With only 2 Americans on Top, there aren't any reason to play 50 + % of the WTA tournemrnts in USA. Enough is enough. As it says it's a Tour and it should be a world tour, not tour of USA.

50% of tournaments are played in the US?? :lol: Don't be so ignorant and do some research.

iPatty
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hmmm...could be a possible stop for me next summer. :)

njnetswill
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I think people forget how large the USA is. Washington DC, San Diego, Charleston, and New York City are just as diverse and far apart as any of the numerous European stops.

jimbo mack
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM

erm no, the USA produces some of the most exciting tournaments and matches on the calendar in the past and the present. if anything the WTA need to ADD tournies TO the USA

I would love to see chicago and philadelphia back for instance :hearts:

LightsOut!
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
only new tournament? :sad:

LoveFifteen
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM

It is a world tour, and there have never been more tournaments in more countries than there are now. :shrug:

I don't have sheer numbers and facts, but I can guarantee you that there are less weeks played in the USA that at any point in the Open Era. You shouldn't be complaining.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM

Do you know how many tournament used to be on the calendar in the USA compared to now? Tournaments have steadily been leaving the USA for Europe and other places for a while now.

Besides, as someone said, they didn't even add a new tournament. Ponte Vedra Beach was gone, so it is still even.

young_gunner913
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM

Without tournaments on American soil, Daniela would have even less of a career then she does.

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM

And why not??? :rolleyes:

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
and will in fact be held in Howard County

OMG does Washington DC state have more than one county??? :tape: :tape: :tape:

BTW I love Minnie Mouse tourneys! :hearts: :woohoo: :bowdown:

Mynarco
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Would Vina del Mar be back?

hankqq
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
glad they're gonna have one in DC :cool: I think it should be held the same week as Potoroz though. :shrug: Kind of odd to have DC and Stanford in the same week with San Diego the following week.

Delfii
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Cool! :D happy for DC :)
Don't cry for WTA Argentina keep like always (a disaster!:weirdo:)

LoveFifteen
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:08 AM
OMG does Washington DC state have more than one county??? :tape: :tape: :tape:

BTW I love Minnie Mouse tourneys! :hearts: :woohoo: :bowdown:

Washington DC is not a state, nor does it have counties. :weirdo:

As many people have said before, what's the big deal. They bought out the PVB tournament, and they are bringing it to a city where the men's event is always packed. People love tennis here.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Is Charleston staying on Green Clay? Who would bother showing up to some green clay tourney after Miami now :confused:

Singleniacki
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
it should be on grass :tears:

Matt01
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:32 AM
I think people forget how large the USA is. Washington DC, San Diego, Charleston, and New York City are just as diverse and far apart as any of the numerous European stops.

It doesn't matter. Europe consists of lots of diverse countrie. The USA is just one country no matter how large it is.

Do you know how many tournament used to be on the calendar in the USA compared to now? Tournaments have steadily been leaving the USA for Europe and other places for a while now.

Leaving the USA for Asia but certainly not for Europe. :weirdo: They cut down practically the whole European Indoor Season for the new Roadmap.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:46 AM
I was hoping the 2011 Calendar might be refreshing but it definatly it anything but, nice to see Washington but everyhing else is the same boring crap.

I also really wish we had more three tournament weeks like they do on the ATP at several points throughout the year.

After the US Open the whole thing is screwed up and the upcoming mini-clay season is so pointless I don't see why those MMs can't be on hard courts in Europe.

I don't like Kuala Lumpur's position couldn't it be placed before Australian Open like maybe Week One, the ATP have tournaments in Chennai and Doha before Oz since players are en route to Australia. :shrug:

mckyle.
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
It doesn't matter. Europe consists of lots of diverse countrie. The USA is just one country no matter how large it is.

Have you ever been to the USA? Do you know anything about it? :lol:

Matt01
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
Have you ever been to the USA? Do you know anything about it? :lol:

I know a lot about it, yes :weirdo:

In The Zone
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
It would have made more sense for Washington to be played the week earlier alongside Portoroz instead of directly competing with an American tournament. But oh well! Love the new event! :D

Wiggly
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:46 AM
Prague isn't on the calendar but no tournament is taking it place.
That's like ... bad news.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM

Leaving the USA for Asia but certainly not for Europe. :weirdo: They cut down practically the whole European Indoor Season for the new Roadmap.

Madrid, Marbella, Barcelona, and I probably missed one. Just because they aren't the tournaments you wanted them to be doesn't mean anything.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:19 AM
It would have made more sense for Washington to be played the week earlier alongside Portoroz instead of directly competing with an American tournament. But oh well! Love the new event! :D

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. I still think there's room for another USO warm up the week before Stanford/DC. Maybe Boston can slide in there in 2012 :angel:

Gu-niao
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
welcome Washington to WTA family

DefyingGravity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:07 AM
For the people complaining about American tennis tournaments...here's something:

a) Los Angeles is gone and replaced with San Diego
b) PVB is gone and is replaced with Washington
c) We (USA, CAN, MEX) have Indian Wells, Miami, Memphis, Washington, Cincinnati, Stanford, New Haven, Toronto/Montreal, Monterrey, and Acapulco and the USO. (11)

Compared to Europe with: Paris x 2, London, Madrid, Rome, Stuttgart, Moscow, Istanbul, Portoroz, Bad Gastein, Gstaad, Copenhagen, Marbella, Warsaw, Strasbourg, Eastbourne, Birmingham, s'Hertogenbosch. (18)

Compared to Asia-Pacific with: Beijing, Tokyo, Dubai, Doha, Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Hobart, Melbourne, Pattaya (10)

Compared to South America with: .....*crickets*

Guess where the tennis should go logically.

OohZuzana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
This Howard County news is a huge game changer, and sucks :( The ATP Washington stop is played right in the city, in this great park with a great stadium. Having it that far out (practically Baltimore) will kill buzz and hype :(

LoveFifteen
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:15 AM

Wow, this is one of the most profoundly illogical and lame things I've read on this forum. So having three tournaments in North America (USA, CAN, MEX) would be the right thing to do? And having one tournament in each European country, no matter how small, would be equally fair? How ridiculous! :weirdo:

Your countries are a lot smaller. If there is a tournament in Belgium, it might as well be in Luxembourg and the Netherlands, too. The drive would be a few hours. If the USA only had one tournament (US Open, I presume?), then people on the West Coast would have to fly. It's the same distance as Moscow to Lisbon. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of tournaments in Europe. More Slams, more tournaments. Yet you still bitch! :weirdo:

Shaun:::
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
For the people complaining about American tennis tournaments...here's something:

a) Los Angeles is gone and replaced with San Diego
b) PVB is gone and is replaced with Washington
c) We (USA, CAN, MEX) have Indian Wells, Miami, Memphis, Washington, Cincinnati, Stanford, New Haven, Toronto/Montreal, Monterrey, and Acapulco and the USO. (11)

Compared to Europe with: Paris x 2, London, Madrid, Rome, Stuttgart, Moscow, Istanbul, Portoroz, Bad Gastein, Gstaad, Copenhagen, Marbella, Warsaw, Strasbourg, Eastbourne, Birmingham, s'Hertogenbosch. (18)

Compared to Asia-Pacific with: Beijing, Tokyo, Dubai, Doha, Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Hobart, Melbourne, Pattaya, Kuala Lumpur, Guangzhou, Seoul, Tashkent(14)

Compared to South America with: .....*crickets*

Guess where the tennis should go logically.

you forgot 4 tournaments in Asia;)

Sp!ffy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
I know a lot about it, yes :weirdo:

The US is as diverse as Europe. And dont try to argue with someone who actually lives here. :wavey:

Matt01
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Madrid, Marbella, Barcelona, and I probably missed one. Just because they aren't the tournaments you wanted them to be doesn't mean anything.

Madrid replaced Berlin. Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about.

Wow, this is one of the most profoundly illogical and lame things I've read on this forum. So having three tournaments in North America (USA, CAN, MEX) would be the right thing to do? And having one tournament in each European country, no matter how small, would be equally fair? How ridiculous! :weirdo:

Your countries are a lot smaller. If there is a tournament in Belgium, it might as well be in Luxembourg and the Netherlands, too. The drive would be a few hours. If the USA only had one tournament (US Open, I presume?), then people on the West Coast would have to fly. It's the same distance as Moscow to Lisbon. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of tournaments in Europe. More Slams, more tournaments. Yet you still bitch! :weirdo:

Where did I say that there should be only 3 tournaments in North America? :weirdo:

The US is as diverse as Europe. And dont try to argue with someone who actually lives here. :wavey:

This is bull and you know it.

USA = one country.
Europe = lots of different countries.

And don't even try to tell me otherwise because I'm studying geographics.

DefyingGravity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
You know there's a reason why there was a mass exodus of tournaments out of Central Europe, namely Germany, for Spain and Asia....

Richie's
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Without tournaments on American soil, Daniela would have even less of a career then she does.

Who cares any more about Hantuchova... It would be nice to see tournaments in Europe. Just that.

WTA need to do some good jon on marketing and management and find sponsors.

As we posted on a different thread, tournaments can hold with big success in Monte Carlo, Athens, Bratislava and Switzerland. There aren't currently tournaments there and they really should do something.

Simply, it too boring to follow from Europe livescores or watch matches in USA, because of time. There are many big tournies in USA (US Open, Indian Wells and Miami)