PDA

View Full Version : BBC Wimbledon host sorry for Robson jibe

Mike_T
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Regarding players weight. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1291185/Wimbledon-2010-BBC-commentator-apologises-teen-tennis-star-Laura-Robson-puppy-fat-jibe.html)

OTT PC, or not? :shrug:

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
just stupiid, i mean laura has a little puppy fat that all teenagers get and as david said she will lose it as she gets older and trains harder.

tara moore is the same.

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Goodness me, how silly. People can't speak the truth these days. He was speaking in an athletic context. And besides, 'puppy fat' is quite endearing, or I think so. It doesn't imply rolls of fat and laziness, simply a youthful softness.

I was watching when he made that comment and it didn't occur to me for one second that he meant it offensively, nor that it would be taken as such. If he'd made that remark about a junior boy, nobody would care, and men increasingly have eating disorders themselves.

Actually though, I think Robson is in fairly good shape. If somebody made a comment about Kleybanova, Pavlyunchenkova, Wozniak, Groenfeld, Bartoli, Kanepi, Petrova, or any of those other lumps, I'd be fully supportive. I personally think they should be barred from the tennis court until they've a lower body fat ratio.

Dawson.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
The comment itself is not offensive in any way but I'm surprised it was said about Laura. She's in pretty good shape especially when compared to other juniors - or seniors for that matter.

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
If you have seen Laura play in real life then you would realise that she actually is a very big girl; not just height wise. She doesn't really have puppy fat though, most of it is muscle. I don't think he should've had to apologise. I doubt Laura was offended. :shrug:

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Steffica:hearts:

Mike_T
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
I’ve changed the link to the Daily Mail, which gives more info. Apparently Laura wasn’t offended, but her Mother was.

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
On the TV all players look alot heavier than they actually are, up close Laura's not fat at all!

Shepster
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
It is PC, the man is right in what he's saying. I saw Laura a couple of weeks ago in person in the flesh and what I was struck by when she was playing Voegele (and in comparison with Heather Watson who I saw later) was the marked difference in definition of the legs. I said something on here at the time that I see this as a big area where she can improve and get better and I hope in the future she goes the Petkovic/Wickmayer route and gets herself in the best shape she can physically.

Mercer's just saying what is obvious when you see Laura, physically she has work to do and in doing so she will get better. Her movement at the back of the court isn't great, this is to do with the fact her legs have no definition and this is an area that will improve the more she plays. No point sweeping it under the carpet, but I do think he was a naive to think you can get away with using any variety of the term "fat" to describe a teenage girl and "hope of a nation" on tv. Even posting here I was very careful about how I phrased my thoughts on it, so he definitely should have realised it's a touchy area no matter how correct he is in his assessment of where she can improve.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
robson looks in good shape to me, if he had said it about moore i would have understood-definitely some puppy fat there

JamieOwen3
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
i thaught he was talking about moore when he said it because the camera was on her but when i heard it was about laura i was surprised cuz she seems in good shape for her age plus she's had to deal with her growth spurt,she will lose whatever "puppy fat" she has as she gets into the groove on the tour.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
What about O'Brien she carries fat all the time. Why not bash all the chubby pro-Brits not an upcoming one.

I remember an American gymnast once became anorexic after a judge told her she was carrying to much weight. Hardly responsible broadcasting from the BBC.

Super Dave
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
We call it "baby fat" here...would that have been less offensive? :lol:

She's very young; she looks just fine. Let her keep maturing before she has to get sculpted. :rolleyes:

I really don't think he meant it in a bad way.

Vanity Bonfire
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Steffica:inlove:. I just knew that you would post here when you saw the thread:bowdown:

Joe.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
What about O'Brien she carries fat all the time. Why not bash all the chubby pro-Brits not an upcoming one.

I remember an American gymnast once became anorexic after a judge told her she was carrying to much weight. Hardly responsible broadcasting from the BBC.

Slightly contridict yourself there don't you?

Oh and FYI Katie does not carry fat all the time, shes got herself into really good fitness.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I was saying Laura is a teenager that kind of comment has a bigger effect on someone like that.

Like regularly people say Kleybanova, Bartoli and others need to be in better shape but they are adults as is O'Brien and South and Cavaday. Keothavong is the only athletic Brit.

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I remember Andrew Castle in '08 saying Kuznetsova was 'carrying too much weight'.

Why was that never brought up?

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
I remember Andrew Castle in '08 saying Kuznetsova was 'carrying too much weight'.

Why was that never brought up?

probably cus most people ignore andrew castle :tape:

JamieOwen3
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
laura's opponent yesterday looked like she had more of "baby spare tires" and would benefit from losing more than laura would.

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
probably cus most people ignore andrew castle :tape:

Touche:lol:

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Touche:lol:

nearly 2 weeks of the ******* **** has left me with very little nerve left :o

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
nearly 2 weeks of the ******* **** has left me with very little nerve left :o

For a minute there, i had to figure out what you had censored:lol:

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
For a minute there, i had to figure out what you had censored:lol:

i rythmes with ducking funt :p

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
i rythmes with ducking funt :p

That could be offensive in its own right:p:lol:

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
That could be offensive in its own right:p:lol:

what can i say he brings out this side in me.

matty
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Actually though, I think Robson is in fairly good shape. If somebody made a comment about Kleybanova, Pavlyunchenkova, Wozniak, Groenfeld, Bartoli, Kanepi, Petrova, or any of those other lumps, I'd be fully supportive. I personally think they should be barred from the tennis court until they've a lower body fat ratio.

Not everyone has a lean hour-glass body type like say, Sharapova. Some of the women mentioned above, could never have six pack stomachs--it's just not their body type. Petrova, Bartoli, Kleybanova, Groenefeld, Pavy are all "apple" shaped. In order for them to get somewhat smaller waists, they would have to have total toothpick (weak) legs. They lose weight in their bottom half first and then eventually in thier upper body. Some, could definitely lose a bit of weight--but they would still, not have remotely small waists.

Even Kournikova and Kirilenko are slightly apple shaped.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Mercer 1 Robson 0

MegaDethly
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
If someone asked me to apologise for something like that I'd tell each and every one of them to fuck off (and accept my firing).

And for the record Mercer is my favourite male commentator.

faboozadoo15
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
:hearts: Phat sluts.

Libertango
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I love the Mercer; I think he's a fantastic commentator.

Can anyone say anything these days?!

A stupid storm in a tea cup methinks.

makirilenko
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
She's 16 years old, Laura will grow into her body like every other teenage girl, saying she needs to lose weight was wrong since she really doesn't need to lose a pound, just continue to grow, which only time can do.

Some of the comments directed towards Mercer shouldn't have been said either, for example "Mercer isn’t exactly slim himself – he should be totally ashamed of what he’s said," not only is it disparaging, it just didn't need to be said. Yes, he said something wrong, but there is no reason to go and attack his weight back.

Either way this seems kind of blown out of proportion, he made a side comment and apologized for it, let it go.

NoChokes
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
He should have just said 'She needs to tone up a bit' and nobody would have cared a jot. It's just using the word 'fat' to describe a 16 year old girl is always going to make people kick off, even if he didn't actually mean she was fat.

Slutiana
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM

:spit:

O'Brien is probably one of the most in-shape players on tour. She is all muscle.

dsanders06
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I think it's a fair comment considering weight is obviously relevant to tennis--BUT I personally wouldn't call Robson fat at all, although it's true she needs to improve her movement.

I'm strongly in favour of so-called "political-correctness" when it comes to racism, sexism, homophobia etc., but this fuss is just ridiculous.

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
saying she needs to lose weight was wrong since she really doesn't need to lose a pound, just continue to grow, which only time can do.

That's what he meant! Growth loses puppy fat. That's why it's called 'puppy fat' and not just 'fat'. Goodness me, people are foolish.

Olórin
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
That's what he meant! Growth loses puppy fat. That's why it's called 'puppy fat' and not just 'fat'. Goodness me, people are foolish.

Yeah, it was hardly offensive. At least you don't work for BBC Sport, imagine the fatist rants ;) :lol:

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it was hardly offensive. At least you don't work for BBC Sport, imagine the fatist rants ;) :lol:

I'd tell it like it is.