PDA

View Full Version : Why on earth is Vera Zvonareva playing so well now?

samsam4087
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Why on earth is Vera Zvonareva playing so well now?

:confused::confused::confused:

http://wtatouristapercaso.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/vera-zvonareva.jpg

Pops Maellard
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
She's playing well but not playing THAT well, she caught a break with JJ's retirement, Clijsters self-destructed and well, Pironkova remembered she's ranked 80something in the world in the last two sets of their match. ;)

Martian Jeza
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Because she's a very good player :shrug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
She takes advantage of her draw and just did enough to beat her opponents.:shrug:
I'm not convinced yet with her form since it's not consistent (like what she did a couple of years ago) but at least she deserves what she gets.:D

Uranus
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
She isn't even playing nearly as well as she was like 1-2 years ago, before getting injured in Charleston.

tennnisfannn
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Vera is a fantastic player who had that horrible injury that forced her out for so long, before she was injured, wasn't she no.3 or so, she was in the ascedency, she had just made the YEC final (08) and was preety consistent. She seems to have found her nerve agian.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Zvonareva is an immensely talented player, she always was.

Vera's game has competency over every major shot. There's really nothing she can't execute decently well. She has to put together a series of her shots to operate at a high level. The problem is she doesn't really have a standout weapon which is when she suffers due to first-strike players who don't allow her to do so.

Josh.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
Confidence. And she has always had the talent.

Reptilia
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
She's always been streaky.

those eyes are so beautiful

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think she hasnt been confident since the ankle injury.
But this tournament she beat Wickmayer, Jankovic and Clijsters before the SF.
Probably more by high level consistency than being great

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
she stole Anna's confidence :shrug: ???? j/k

she's gotten herself fully fit, she believes in her ankle again :)

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
And her new coach, who has done some modeling

http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/2010/07/as-if-there-were-any-doubt-that-shes-the-smartest-woman-on-the-wta-tour.html#comments

pav
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
She's playing well but not playing THAT well, she caught a break with JJ's retirement, Clijsters self-destructed and well, Pironkova remembered she's ranked 80something in the world in the last two sets of their match. ;)
I noticed that JJ was dominating her before she injured herself and saw her sitting around at the back of the court while Kimmy blew herself up!:)

new-york
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
She's not playing that well. She's just a bit more composed.

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
And her new coach, who has done some modeling

http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/2010/07/as-if-there-were-any-doubt-that-shes-the-smartest-woman-on-the-wta-tour.html#comments

Hitting partner, not coach. :p They're childhood friends.

He's played doubles with Bepoa and also with Alisa:

http://www.albertocastellani.it/img_news/Sergey%20e%20Alisa.jpg

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Because she's a very good player :shrug:

This.

She's very underrated on TF.

G&R
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
well against JJ and Yanina she was playing really really well but I agree that's not her best form..and GL against Serena :)
and yeah she has always had the talent

poulao
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
She most probably has been practising :haha:

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
She's one of the headcase Russians, and right now the switch is set to "good."

Lachrymarum
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:22 PM
She looks like Tara Lipinski in that first photo ;)
All I can say is that I'm thrilled she found her form here at Wimbledon!

Fililander
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
This is only luck guys.

Hagar
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Vera is also in the doubles' final. Great tournament for her.

Carotastrophe
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Vera was always a good player.. it was just that nasty injury that kept her out for quite a while..

jefrilibra
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
She finally got laid! Real talk!

Im happy for her finally!

~Kiera~
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hitting partner, not coach. :p They're childhood friends.

He seems to be her coach now. She stated as much in her press conference.

Libertango
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
She's somehow sorted her head out and her body likes her. There.

StephenUK
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
For a player who has spent a lot of time in and around the top 10, it is surprising how few times she has passed the fourth round of grand slams and a combination of a successful of dreadful injuries plus emotional meltdowns seem to have held her back.

This year, she appears to have come into form at Wimbledon on her way back from injury and for once luck has been on her side with the draw as she has faced an injured Jankovic and a totally off-form Clijsters. You always had to fancy her to beat Wickmayer on this surface but the other two wins are a big plus for her. But you must give credit to her for having nerves of steel for a change in both the quarter and the semis. I am really pleased for her as she deserves her moment in the limelight for a change - after all, someone like Safina was behind her in the rankings for years and it must have been galling to be overtaken like that in 08-09.

Leo_DFP
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
It's funny, because John McEnroe called her win over Clijsters the best match he's ever seen her play and I was like :spit: :lol:. She hasn't displayed PEAKVera tennis yet, not like 2004 Philadelphia vs. Capriati, or Fall 2008, or 2009 AO before the Safina SF, etc. She's definitely been better before. But this Vera has been smart, efficient, and calm under pressure. She hasn't lost her cool in her last two matches despite being down a set each time, and that's incredible given her usual mentality and given the occasion!

American commentators are complete idiots.

Jolene
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Holy Christ. Is that is what tennis coaches look like now, I am going to sign up for a class immediately.

PolishLunatiq
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
I like her:) she is good player:)

goldenlox
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
For a player who has spent a lot of time in and around the top 10, it is surprising how few times she has passed the fourth round of grand slams and a combination of a successful of dreadful injuries plus emotional meltdowns seem to have held her back.

.Unless you are Serena or Justine or Venus, there is a lot of luck involved in getting to slam finals. Vera never seemed to get a good draw and be healthy at the same time.

I thought this draw was bad.
Wickmayer, Jankovic, Justine/Kim winner, Venus.

Things went the right way and she has her 1st final of a major

Dementieva_Dude
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
She's always been a good player, so this shouldn't be THAT big of a surprise.

I hope she plays well tomorrow and keeps it together mentally. I DON'T want to see her have a crying, screaming Charleston-like meltdown. I don't see her winning (although I would love for her to), but a three set match would be nice!

tennislover
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
mysteries of tennis :D

manu32
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Stopped Crying??

Slutiana
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
It's funny, because John McEnroe called her win over Clijsters the best match he's ever seen her play and I was like :spit: :lol:. She hasn't displayed PEAKVera tennis yet, not like 2004 Philadelphia vs. Capriati, or Fall 2008, or 2009 AO before the Safina SF, etc. She's definitely been better before. But this Vera has been smart, efficient, and calm under pressure. She hasn't lost her cool in her last two matches despite being down a set each time, and that's incredible given her usual mentality and given the occasion!

American commentators are complete idiots.
Vera at the YEC 08 :worship:

Bruno71
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
She's playing some great, solid tennis, not trying to do too much. She may have to bring back "Super Vera" for more than one set to beat Serena though.

ANz
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Wrong question.

The correct one: Why on earth Vera Zvonareva did not played so well before?
And the answer is: She did. Problem is she did not played great so often as I would like her to play for a number of diferent reasons.

shoparound
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
She's always been a good player. Didn't she go far in the Australian Open last year? And won Indian Wells?

Koon
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:43 AM

Did you watch her match with JJ ? She's just absolutely dominated her . And in her last 2 matches, she had to overcome her mentally on court and comeback from 1 set down to win,she has improved so much that's the key for her to play well.

samsam4087
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Yes, Vera is a good player.

Serena y Monica
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
I'm convinced. She's always had talent and in the last two years she's been playing well. Then the accident. I don't think she a the mental strength of a top 5 player she definitely has the game. She can win this match.

wildemu
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:16 AM
considering her form into this tournament, i'm chalking up this run to luck of the draw. clijsters, wickmayer, and jankovic are all very vulnerable on grass, and she just took care of business against lower ranked players. That doesn't mean she has no chance against serena, but this is a classic case of a player taking advantage of her draw.

Tripp
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Vera has always been an amazing player. She just lacked that self-belief that turns talented women into GS contenders.-

I would've never thought her first GS final would be at Wimbledon, though. When she started her career she was much more of a clay courter.-

tennisbum79
Jul 3rd, 2010, 03:59 AM
Unless you are Serena or Justine or Venus, there is a lot of luck involved in getting to slam finals. Vera never seemed to get a good draw and be healthy at the same time.

I thought this draw was bad.
Wickmayer, Jankovic, Justine/Kim winner, Venus.

Things went the right way and she has her 1st final of a major
I for one do not think it happened by chance.

I think she may have decided to work on the mental part of her game and it is paying off.

Serena just mentioned (on ESPN) that she took notice during Clijsters match

I also like her personality when she came to the ESPN studios.
She seems to have more substance and thoughfulness than I had originally thought.
She comes accross as well read when I saw her the tennis channel.

shap_half
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:06 AM
She's always had a great game. No actual weakness. Clean penetrating strokes. Great movement. Changes the direction of the ball extremely well. Shit control of her emotions. I'm glad she's getting some decent results. I won't be surprised at all if she takes this from Serena tomorrow. Davai Bepa!

Loungy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:09 AM
Yes, Vera is a good player.
Yes, well said. :worship: :worship: :worship:

DefyingGravity
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM
Vera has always had this ability, but I think it was just the fact that she's realized that she has to leave tennis to just being a game and it shouldn't define her life...Probably grasping for straws, but she just looks to be enjoying it all so much more now.

She isn't playing perhaps her personal best, but the TOTAL PACKAGE of nerves, play, and determination is the best I've ever seen her have on a tennis court. That's what it really boiled down to this Wimbledon...who could stay composed. Vera and Serena have done it...which I never thought I'd be saying about my lovely Vera.

Nicolás89
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM
She is on a mission to ruin the WTA by reaching the finals of WImbledon in both singles and doubles, I heard. :)

Sp!ffy
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
I'm not that impressed :o

samsam4087
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
She is on a mission to ruin the WTA by reaching the finals of WImbledon in both singles and doubles, I heard. :)

:eek::eek::eek:

Libertango
Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
I also like her personality when she came to the ESPN studios.
She seems to have more substance and thoughfulness than I had originally thought.
She comes accross as well read when I saw her the tennis channel.

ITA; she's come across really well in her BBC interviews too; she's obviously a clever girl, who has a lfie outside tennis and actually has a brain and a personality. I know she's really calmed down on court during these Championships and it's obviously done her tennis a lot of good, but I liked how she said she likes to emote on court too, and that emotions are a healthy thing that shouldn't be stifled. I liked that. :)

Uranus
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Vera at the YEC 08 :worship:
That was the best she's ever played. And her current level isn't quite close.

Wimbledon9
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
She is a very nice girl she gave tickets to the docter who operated her ankle when she thought she could never play again well how mnny sportspeople would do that.