PDA

View Full Version : Spot on article about Serena's defense in the match vs Kvitova today

mdterp01
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
This article is particularly for those who are bitching AD NAUSEUM about how terrible Serena played. Was it the level of the Australian Open finals in which she destroyed Maria and Safina? No. For Serena, it was subpar, but a straight sets win can't be terrible. In addition, last time I checked winning a tennis match has more to do with just offense. Serena played some solid defense during critical moments, yet somehow no one seemed to mention that. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon10/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=5345731

moby
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:32 PM
It's called pushing when Wozniacki does it, and it's called pushing when Serena does it.

Not a bad strategy, but people despise it just as they despise non-creative defense in all other sports.

Serena y Monica
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:39 PM
It's called pushing when Wozniacki does it, and it's called pushing when Serena does it.

Not a bad strategy, but people despise it just as they despise non-creative defense in all other sports.

Seriously...You wanna compare Serena's D to Woz's. One can turn defense to a winner in 0.65 seconds. The other can barely hit a winner when on the offensive. Different comparison please?

mdterp01
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Seriously...You wanna compare Serena's D to Woz's. One can turn defense to a winner in 0.65 seconds. The other can barely hit a winner when on the offensive. Different comparison please?

Yes, seriously he does. And the rest you finished without me having to even say! It takes me back to my favorite saying. "Its not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off everything and let the problem take care of itself". :rolleyes:

Serena y Monica
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:49 PM
Yes, seriously he does. And the rest you finished without me having to even say! It takes me back to my favorite saying. "Its not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off everything and let the problem take care of itself". :rolleyes:

LOL...do you do stand up? If not you should.

kiwifan
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:50 PM
Haters will Hate. :haha:

Serena serves too hard is still my favorite new complaint.

Now she's a pusher, too. :tape:

mdterp01
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM

Well ya know...Kim is already saying that she's not sure how long she's gonna be around, Justine ripped her elbow up and will be out past the US Open, Serena is in the Wimbledon final against a player who just made her first. Wozniacki has been proved to be a worthless pusher, Ivanovic continues her tailspin, Jankovic and Dementieva have one less slam than Schiavone, and the sudden "Stosur is going to take over the WTA tour proved to be a massive fail" They are not in the best of moods today and the haterade is really making them go :cuckoo:

fawnrc
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM

In one's case you have to see it match after match. Serena is no where near a pusher. Pusher's do not win 12 slams.

Serena y Monica
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:57 PM

Serena is a chameleon...she can and will push why not? She's also more than capable of driving the ball. She obviously loves Nadal cause she's been incorporating heavy top spin as well. She can do it all.

moby
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:58 PM
In one's case you have to see it match after match. Serena is no where near a pusher. Pusher's do not win 12 slams.I didn't say she was a pusher.

But she's been relying on pushing as a baseline strategy this tournament.

Serena y Monica
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
I didn't say she was a pusher.

But she's been relying on pushing as a baseline strategy this tournament.

Erm...not the whole tournament...not even an entire match...but she did ropa dope Sharpi and Petra quite a bit.

The Dawntreader
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
In fairness to Serena, this defensive mentality has revealed that:

A) She's in pretty good shape to utilise this kind of gameplan

B) It's working. Late in the match against Sharapova, Serena's athletic ability negotiated her out of some sticky baseline rallies, where basically her opponents looked far more dominant.

I prefer a combination of course, but it's nice to know that she still has above adequate footspeed. Leaps and bounds better than her match against Stosur at RG, where she basically refused to move her feet countless times.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
Well ya know...Kim is already saying that she's not sure how long she's gonna be around, Justine ripped her elbow up and will be out past the US Open, Serena is in the Wimbledon final against a player who just made her first. Wozniacki has been proved to be a worthless pusher, Ivanovic continues her tailspin, Jankovic and Dementieva have one less slam than Schiavone, and the sudden "Stosur is going to take over the WTA tour proved to be a massive fail" They are not in the best of moods today and the haterade is really making them go :cuckoo:

:lol::lol: I effin love it!

omoruyi
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:32 AM
:bowdown::bowdown:Well ya know...Kim is already saying that she's not sure how long she's gonna be around, Justine ripped her elbow up and will be out past the US Open, Serena is in the Wimbledon final against a player who just made her first. Wozniacki has been proved to be a worthless pusher, Ivanovic continues her tailspin, Jankovic and Dementieva have one less slam than Schiavone, and the sudden "Stosur is going to take over the WTA tour proved to be a massive fail" They are not in the best of moods today and the haterade is really making them go :cuckoo::worship:post of the day! Rofl...!

gmokb
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:47 AM

:lol:Truer words never spoken:lol:

Black Mamba.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:05 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/4t7vdj.jpg

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/4t7vdj.jpg

Oh my god...great mind...I was looking for the gif of Maria as the marshmellow puff doing that stroll with the caption Haters Gonna Hate. Someone PLEASE POST THAT!!! I thought it was in the Serena? thread but I can't find it.

Black Mamba.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM
http://static.funnyjunk.com/gifs/tumblrks8ydwusis1qzs8se.gif

http://bionicbrian.com/word/stuff/haters_gonna_hate.gif

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Here's the thing:

Yes, Serena did "push" today. :shrug:

She used it as a NONexclusive tactic as she often will with young, up-starts like Kvitova who think beating her is going to be all who can bash the ball the hardest.

It's actually BRILLIANT when Serena does it because it runs counter the the conventional wisdom about her and these inexperienced players find themselves battling based on what FOOLS believe about her game instead of what actually is. Here's how it works...

The opposing player is coached/told/convinced that their best opportunity is to beat Serena to the punch - strike first and often. And, indeed, there is this narrow window or very narrow spectrum of power, if you will, that if you can play within AND MAINTAIN, striking first, you CAN have a real opportunity to beat Serena, especially if Serena is a little off yet still hell bent on matching this style, stroke for stroke. This is what, I believe, happened in '04.

Serena, ever the quick learner, has evolved long since these young up-starts began down this road. Now, what Serena does whenever the youngsters try to outstrike the consummate first striker is back her foot off the gas, keep the ball in play and challenge them to MAINTAIN that level. Lo' and behold, what usually happens is what happened today. The errors spew forth. Why? because the young upstart 9 times out of 10 simply cannot maintain that level of play. That's about when Serena RE-ups her game (ie, stops pushing) and drops the hammer down, discarding what's left of the broken spirited youngster. BRILLIANT.

The catch to all of this is that IF the player can maintain playing in that narrow band of high powered, first strike tennis AND Serena can't rev' back up the engine, the opposing player CAN win.

Vera Zvonereva is capable of playing AND maintaining that level of tennis. Make no mistake and don't let the head to head fool you. Their matches are always competitive.

Anyway, I've ALWAYS said "pushing" is a legitimate tactic. Being a "PUSHER" is an entirely different thing. Thank God Serena's not a "Pusher."

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
Here's the thing:

She used it as a NONexclusive tactic as she often will with young, up-starts like Kvitova who think beating her is going to be all who can bash the ball the hardest.

It's actually BRILLIANT when Serena does it because it runs counter the the conventional wisdom about her and these inexperienced players find themselves battling based on what FOOLS believe about her game instead of what actually is. Here's how it works...

The opposing player is coached/told/convinced that their best opportunity is to beat Serena to the punch - strike first and often. And, indeed, there is this narrow window or very narrow spectrum of power, if you will, that if you can play within AND MAINTAIN, striking first, you CAN have a real opportunity to beat Serena, especially if Serena is a little off yet still hell bent on matching this style, stroke for stroke. This is what, I believe, happened in '04.

Serena, ever the quick learner, has evolved long since these young up-starts began down this road. Now, what Serena does whenever the youngsters try to outstrike the consummate first striker is back her foot off the gas, keep the ball in play and challenge them to MAINTAIN that level. Lo' and behold, what usually happens is what happened today. The errors spew forth. Why? because the young upstart 9 times out of 10 simply cannot maintain that level of play. That's about when Serena RE-ups her game (ie, stops pushing) and drops the hammer down, discarding what's left of the broken spirited youngster. BRILLIANT.

The catch to all of this is that IF the player can maintain playing in that narrow band of high powered, first strike tennis AND Serena can't rev' back up the engine, the opposing player CAN win.

Vera Zvonereva is capable of playing AND maintaining that level of tennis. Make no mistake and don't let the head to head fool you. Their matches are always competitive.

Anyway, I've ALWAYS said "pushing" is a legitimate tactic. Being a "PUSHER" is an entirely different thing. Thank God Serena's not a "Pusher."

Exactly...Petra wanted to play Serena's game against her and Serena then just threw the whole script around and just let Petra self-distruct. People act like she was OVERPOWERED or something...nah, she still can handle the pace, but she's just a different player now. A step slower...so she implements a different tactic. Kept attacking Petra's forehand..brilliant!

Lindsay said it best: People never give enough credit to Serena's tactical abilities.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Now, what Serena does whenever the youngsters try to outstrike the consummate first striker is back her foot off the gas, keep the ball in play and challenge them to MAINTAIN that level. Lo' and behold, what usually happens is what happened today. The errors spew forth. Why? because the young upstart 9 times out of 10 simply cannot maintain that level of play. That's about when Serena RE-ups her game (ie, stops pushing) and drops the hammer down, discarding what's left of the broken spirited youngster. BRILLIANT.

Hmmm, interesting way to put it. Here I was thinking she stops driving the ball when she loses the rhythm on her strokes and plays defense because she has to until her strokes show back up again. But I like what you said better so we'll go with that.:lol:

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Here's the rub...these same haters have been running around for a decade claiming Serena (and Venus) don't really understand how to play tennis they just hit hard...

...now personally, from the beginning, I've seen them going for drop shots and lobs, hitting approach shots and dominating with swinging volleys and slam dunk overheads, etc...as well as hitting/serving hard their whole career and if you read anything about Serena as a kid...she was a moon baller then and only started hitting hard because Venus hit hard and she wanted to eat, dress, breathe, and anything else "just like Venus).

So Serena takes her foot off the pedal and lets her opponent beat herself and instead of complimenting her tennis intelligence...:hehehe:

Bijoux0021
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
:worship: :worship:

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Here's the rub...these same haters have been running around for a decade claiming Serena (and Venus) don't really understand how to play tennis they just hit hard...

...now personally, from the beginning, I've seen them going for drop shots and lobs, hitting approach shots and dominating with swinging volleys and slam dunk overheads, etc...as well as hitting/serving hard their whole career and if you read anything about Serena as a kid...she was a moon baller then and only started hitting hard because Venus hit hard and she wanted to eat, dress, breathe, and anything else "just like Venus).

So Serena takes her foot off the pedal and lets her opponent beat herself and instead of complimenting her tennis intelligence...:hehehe:

What can u do, what can u do?

Kworb
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Here's the thing:

:worship: There is nothing wrong with pushing once in a while. It's in the arsenal of every great tactical mind. Good to see at least one intelligent Serena fan here in this thread.