PDA

View Full Version : Really taken with Pironkova!

n1_and_uh_noone
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM
Just loved her attitude on court. Seemed very relaxed, kept hitting her shots, even those that were branded ugly/hopeless by everyone. No negative body language, and gives nice interviews too!

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-07-01/201007011278009967267.html

Lol... she only booked her hotel for a couple of days. :yeah: to the Bulgarian embassy! Did I mention she's super-cute?

GrandMartha
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
nice girl but
So we stayed there for almost 10 days now.
Tsveti :hehehe:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
Just loved her attitude on court. Seemed very relaxed, kept hitting her shots, even those that were branded ugly/hopeless by everyone. No negative body language, and gives nice interviews too!

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-07-01/201007011278009967267.html

Lol... she only booked her hotel for a couple of days. :yeah: to the Bulgarian embassy! Did I mention she's super-cute?

Yup. Me too. I've always liked her but she really became a big favourite of mine this tournament. In fact for me she has been the best thing about Wimbledon 2010.

The match against Bartoli really did it for me. I got to watch it live and it was by far the most enjoyable match I saw at Wimbledon this year. Tsveti just played beautiful tennis, hitting everything with different pace, spins, angles, and height over the net. As for the forehand which many posters criticise, I love it. She mixes things up on that wing so much I never know what she is going to do. At times she can really rip it and at other times she hits these delicious slices. And she looked so genuinely happy with how she played after the match, it was actually quite disarming.

And super-cute? Well I've always thought she was cute. But as she has gotten older she has blossomed into being a very beautiful young woman, actually I'd say come Monday when she will be world #35 she will be the most beautiful woman in the top 50.

I really wish this girl all the success in the world and hope she uses this last fortnight as a launchpad to the rest of her career. I would love to see this girl in the top 20 or even the top 10. :inlove:

TZVETI83
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Tzveti has a great future, she will back this result up an prove her doubters wrong. She now has a lot more confidence, she will get some sponsors(she has money now which she can invest in her game), a better team, work on her game and come back stronger. She is a fighter and I am proud to be a fan. A lot of you do not know what she has had to go trough to get here. She has worked for years now, her father sold their properties so they could travel, she had to sleep in hostels, shelters, etc. for years now while on the road. Our federation never helped or supported her, she has always been in the background and now she is a Wimbledon semifinalist. Love you Tzveti!

Libertango
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:27 PM
I like her too. And I just noticed today, seeing her "off-court" for the first time - she's SO pretty!

TZVETI83
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah off court she is stunning., she comes from a great family of athletes and artists that gave up everything for her/and her sisters future. Her grandpa is also one of Bulgaria's best painters.

Cp6uja
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
This will be breakthrough tournament for winner of this match. People is with reason impressed by Kulikova and her game improvement this season (which is actually way bigger than her results show), but also from my point of view Pironkova right now is one of most underrated WTA players. Her latest 1st serve improvement are amazing and impressive (she is now WTA TOP10 server IMO, I was shocked watching her R1 match at RG against Henin) and where to expect to pay back for that if not at grass?Before 3rd Round match here against Kulikova at WWW poll (which BTW Kulikova won with big difference) I'm called Tsveti most underrated WTA player right now (actually week ago, now she is on hype :rolleyes:) and predict her TOP30 finish in 2010 despite she is still out of TOP80 in june (ok, now we know that she will reach TOP30 already next month).

Talking about her on-court attitude she always looks to me so "sporty" (if this is correct term). She looks so devoted to tennis when playing, but You also can feel nice personality in background. Of elite WTA players I have similar feeling when watching Venus or Dementieva for example.

toxina90
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:55 PM
:kiss: I love her and have waited a long time for her to have a good run like this, I wanted her to win today, but...hope she can keep winning consistently now instead of losing streaks...

mdterp01
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:04 PM
This has been a very good run for Tsveti but I won't be convinced if this is just a flash in the pan run for a player who decided to be "hot" for a minute, or its something more. When she beat Venus at the Australian Open a few years ago people said the same thing so...time will tell but I'm not jumpin on the bandwagon.

Cp6uja
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM
This has been a very good run for Tsveti but I won't be convinced if this is just a flash in the pan run for a player who decided to be "hot" for a minute, or its something more. When she beat Venus at the Australian Open a few years ago people said the same thing so...time will tell but I'm not jumpin on the bandwagon.Beating Venus at Australian Open when she only twice ever reach semifinal and at Wimbledon grass where she reach 8 finals at previous 10 events is not same thing for sure :shrug: Also she won here all 9 sets before lose 2nd set today against Zvonareva which can't be fluke.

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:19 AM
Beating Venus at Australian Open when she only twice ever reach semifinal and at Wimbledon grass where she reach 8 finals at previous 10 events is not same thing for sure :shrug: Also she won here all 9 sets before lose 2nd set today against Zvonareva which can't be fluke.

I didn't say fluke...I said "hot"...as in "hot streak" We've seen them time and time again and then people want to proclaim them as players who are going to have great futures and get better and do more damage in the future only to see them fizzle out.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM
This has been a very good run for Tsveti but I won't be convinced if this is just a flash in the pan run for a player who decided to be "hot" for a minute, or its something more. When she beat Venus at the Australian Open a few years ago people said the same thing so...time will tell but I'm not jumpin on the bandwagon.

First of all, I do appreciate how in your other post you distinguish the terms "hot" and "fluke". "Fluke" being a term that suggests something that involves luck and is undeserved whereas "hot" suggests something that is deserved but might not be repeated frequently if at all.

And you might very well be right about this being an outstanding moment in Tsveti's career which is not a reflection of how the rest of that career will go. I don't like the term "flash in the pan" but I appreciate where you are coming from. This result certainly does not ensure that Tsveti is going to be propeled into the elite of the game. Personally I would love to see her build on her results here and continue to move up the rankings, but I realise that while she might do just that, there is a possibility she might not.

However, there are plenty of reasons for "jumpin on the bandwagon" here besides gloryseeking. Some people chose their favourite players not because they are sure that they will win lots of Slams and be hugely successful but because they like the personality of a player, find them attractive, or especially because they enjoy that player's style of tennis.

I liked Tsvetana quite a bit before this tournament, I like her a whole lot more now. I don't know what success she will have in the future, although I do hope to see her build on her success here. But regardless of what she does in the future, I am happy to be a fan and will root for her to get the most out of her career that she can as I do for all the players I like.

You might only see a reason to support players when they are at the top of the game and that is fine, both not everyone feels the same.

Josh.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM
She's got a backhand to die for PLUS, she is very easy on the eye. :drool:

Black Mamba.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
She did a great job but isn't this the same song and dance we do when someone we don't expect goes far. Wasn't Sprem suppose to be the next big thing until she wasn't.

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
nice girl but

Tsveti :hehehe:

Didn't you see? She had 1/2 of Bulgaria in her box today! :lol:

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:48 AM
I'm not a fan of her slice-fh tbh, she uses it when she doesn't get herself in the right position to hit a conventional FH.

Seyz
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Right now I would call her kind of a Jankovic Mixed with Hingis type of player.
Not that Hingis is like a counterpuncher like Jankovic, but Pironkova has a lot of variety in her shots and she likes to change up the rhythm and is good at getting the ball back across the net.
Some of the plays against venus and Vera, she really ran for and got one last hit on the ball back to the other shot of the court, even if she lost the point in the end.

Then again, she kind of reminds me of Myskina a little bit too.

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
First of all, I do appreciate how in your other post you distinguish the terms "hot" and "fluke". "Fluke" being a term that suggests something that involves luck and is undeserved whereas "hot" suggests something that is deserved but might not be repeated frequently if at all.

And you might very well be right about this being an outstanding moment in Tsveti's career which is not a reflection of how the rest of that career will go. I don't like the term "flash in the pan" but I appreciate where you are coming from. This result certainly does not ensure that Tsveti is going to be propeled into the elite of the game. Personally I would love to see her build on her results here and continue to move up the rankings, but I realise that while she might do just that, there is a possibility she might not. I like Pironkova's attitude and spunk. She is very pleasant off court and is a cute girl. I do hope she builds on this because I'm tired of players with potential not following through with it. Time will tell.

However, there are plenty of reasons for "jumpin on the bandwagon" here besides gloryseeking. Some people chose their favourite players not because they are sure that they will win lots of Slams and be hugely successful but because they like the personality of a player, find them attractive, or especially because they enjoy that player's style of tennis.

I liked Tsvetana quite a bit before this tournament, I like her a whole lot more now. I don't know what success she will have in the future, although I do hope to see her build on her success here. But regardless of what she does in the future, I am happy to be a fan and will root for her to get the most out of her career that she can as I do for all the players I like.

You might only see a reason to support players when they are at the top of the game and that is fine, both not everyone feels the same.

Very good post and I wasn't talking about liking her because of her personality. I was just speaking on how some are suggesting that this run at Wimbledon is a sign of things to come. I like Venus and Serena for a variety of reasons. Venus hasn't won a major in 2 years and I supported both of them when everyone else wrote them off. Serena was ranked 81 and I was right there so I don't support players just because they are on top. Venus and Serena are the only two players I am die hard for. Once they are gone, I can't even think of a player I will root for but I'm sure I will find someone.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Very good post and I wasn't talking about liking her because of her personality. I was just speaking on how some are suggesting that this run at Wimbledon is a sign of things to come. I like Venus and Serena for a variety of reasons. Venus hasn't won a major in 2 years and I supported both of them when everyone else wrote them off. Serena was ranked 81 and I was right there so I don't support players just because they are on top. Venus and Serena are the only two players I am die hard for. Once they are gone, I can't even think of a player I will root for but I'm sure I will find someone.

Nobody said she was going to do great things. I merely observed that there are so many things to like about this young girl. You do realize though, that it is one thing to back a young, up-and-coming player with minimal experience, and quite another to root for a multiple Slam champion, trend-setter and big-name star (Serena/Venus), no matter how poor their form may be.

pav
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM
I hope she carries on upwards , a lot to like about her and her game.

mdterp01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Nobody said she was going to do great things. I merely observed that there are so many things to like about this young girl. You do realize though, that it is one thing to back a young, up-and-coming player with minimal experience, and quite another to root for a multiple Slam champion, trend-setter and big-name star (Serena/Venus), no matter how poor their form may be.

And you are right..there are many things about her to like, but I wasn't even responding to those who talked about her personality and cuteness. I was responding to the ones who are already acting as if she's going to be a mainstay. Regarding Venus/Serena you're assuming that I wasn't rooting for Serena and Venus until they started winning majors. No...I was with these girls from day one when they came on the tour. It just so happens they had to have amazing success.

Dandy_Warhol
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM
i have to say i'm a new fan :angel:

Singleniacki
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Yup. Me too. I've always liked her but she really became a big favourite of mine this tournament. In fact for me she has been the best thing about Wimbledon 2010.

The match against Bartoli really did it for me. I got to watch it live and it was by far the most enjoyable match I saw at Wimbledon this year. Tsveti just played beautiful tennis, hitting everything with different pace, spins, angles, and height over the net. As for the forehand which many posters criticise, I love it. She mixes things up on that wing so much I never know what she is going to do. At times she can really rip it and at other times she hits these delicious slices. And she looked so genuinely happy with how she played after the match, it was actually quite disarming.

And super-cute? Well I've always thought she was cute. But as she has gotten older she has blossomed into being a very beautiful young woman, actually I'd say come Monday when she will be world #35 she will be the most beautiful woman in the top 50.

I really wish this girl all the success in the world and hope she uses this last fortnight as a launchpad to the rest of her career. I would love to see this girl in the top 20 or even the top 10. :inlove:

:tears::inlove::sobbing:

Temperenka
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
I used to really like her! But then she seemed to absolutely disappear and I sort of forget about her after not being able to watch her play for over a year.

I love her game. Her variety is fun to watch and I respect her on-court attitude.

I hope she continues to build on this. I'm skeptical, but hopeful. :) Good luck!

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
I have nothing against her but this result was way too random, considering she lost in the qualies of Eastbourne before Wimbldon, to convince me that these sort of results are going to continue to happen on a regular basis or even ever.

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
She's good...that backhand, wow! Hard to belief that she's ranked so low. Maybe this run gives her more confidence for the future.

black_fire
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Tsvetana's main problem is her confidence. We saw her versus Venus and Bartoli when she was hitting winners from all over the court, was not afraid of her FH (which is not that frequent, believe me) and when her first serve worked constantly - at times it was above 70% in.

But, on the other hand, having seen lots of her matches, when she lose confidence she usually starts hitting her flat FH miles away from the baseline, her serve % drops to under 50, etc.. - that's her other face on the court. She is a very up and down player - her results show this pretty clearly...

My expectations about her after Wimbledon are connected exactly with her belief in herself - if she realizes she has the game to win back-to-back matches and give troubles to the top players, she'll definitely be able to maintain the level from this fortnight.

StephenUK
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
Pironkova was definitely one of the stars of 2010 Wimbledon and her game is brilliant to watch. She came over well as a personality, she is elegant and attractive. I hope that she has more success in the future because we want to see more of her.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Pironkova was definitely one of the stars of 2010 Wimbledon and her game is brilliant to watch. She came over well as a personality, she is elegant and attractive. I hope that she has more success in the future because we want to see more of her.

Three perfect sentences that sum up my feelings exactly. :yeah:

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, very attractive...although her being her age and me being my age, am not allowed to say that. :p
And she really really looks a LOT like her mom.

Hope this performance gives her confidence to built her rank up. She's good.

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
I noticed that the crowd in her SF liked her a lot. So much for the casual tournament goers not caring for relative unknowns.

calico_101
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
She's doing well, but she is going to have to seriously improve on her forehand and volleys if she is going to continue to cause upsets.

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Her slice forehand won me over. It's such an underused and underrated shot in tennis, especially in the WTA. I can't remember any recent player who used that shot to great effect, aside from Anna Kournikova during '97-'98.

crazillo
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Her slice forehand won me over. It's such an underused and underrated shot in tennis, especially in the WTA. I can't remember any recent player who used that shot to great effect, aside from Anna Kournikova during '97-'98.

Jana Novotna? It used to be a weakness though.

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Jana Novotna? It used to be a weakness though.

Jana was a serve-and-volley player though so it's kinda imperative for her to have and use that shot. You certainly don't see a lot of baseliners using that shot.

SVK
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
I like her she is absolutely lovely, but I miss her forehand bombs, in Wimbledon she was very patient in forehand...but on the other side, good for her, it is sometimes (often) very off...but when her backhand, forehand and serve are on a fire like against Zvonareva last year, then she is stunning!!!

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM

Niculescu, but you said to great effect. :tape:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM

Damn right. Same here. Everytime I see a really good slice shot on grass it brings a smile to my face.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Niculescu, but you said to great effect. :tape:

Monica's sliced forehand is a treat, sure there is a lot in the rest of her game that needs work but there is nothing wrong with her sliced forehand. It got her through qualifying into the 2nd round of Wimbldon this year and in the future it will get her even further.

FedererBulgaria
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
She is sooooo lovely...her interview after her win over Venus..the whole crowd was like ohhhhhhhhhhh how sweet:drool::lol:

$uricate
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
:hearts:

Its great something has finaly happened in her career, hopefully she will get a lot more exposure now.

Tsveti is a total babe too!