PDA

View Full Version : The WTA: is it time to panic?

dsanders06
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Firstly, I'd like to stress this is NOT just a thread bitching about Pironkova and Kvitova making the semis, nor am I going to just chant "pigova" or one of its many variants. Hopefully this can be a serious discussion about the health of the wider WTA.

The most alarming thing is 2010 was supposed to be a vintage year for women's tennis - I like most on here was really excited at the beginning of the year, but unfortunately, after a promising start, the WTA has descended into an even more chaotic state than ever before. And the signs are it's only going to get worse in the coming years. Serena's mail-ins are enough to get multiple Slams. Venus seems on the verge of retirement. Justine is now out for months, and it's questionable whether her always frail body will allow her to go for that long. Kim implied in a press conference the other day that she reckons she has about two years max left. We still don't know if Maria will ever return to her former self. Ivanovic's slump is looking interminable. Jankovic would probably retire now if she was given a lifetime's supply of glitter. And of course, the last two Grand Slams have literally re-defined "crapshoot".

Some people have compared it to the mess of the ATP circa 2001-02, but I think even that's generous. For one thing, the Slams were never as messy as these last two have been even back then for the ATP. And for another, even though there were no real top dogs on the ATP back then, everyone knew that there WERE some very promising future prospects, most of all some kid called Federer, who everyone knew was prodigiously talented but just couldn't hold it together mentally. And there was Nalbandian and Roddick waiting in the wings, and some very well-informed pundits even knew about some 14-year-old Spanish left-hander who could run down every ball. But on the WTA now, while I like Wozniacki and Azarenka, future GOATs they ain't.

When will the WTA stop it's slide into ruins?

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM
Why is this thread For!!WTA isn't on a slide!!Even though many good players are Injured or coming back from Injury There are still some good matches being played around the tournaments!!!for Sure the last couple of seasons haven't been the best we've seen by far but I believe the WTA will be as it used to be!!these times only prove my Point that:Without a healthy Sharapova,Serena,Venus,Henin,Clijsters there is no Tennis in the Womens Draw!!

Pureracket
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
Weird how this threadstarter despises the top two womens tennis players and then has a "faux" anxiety attack about the state of the WTA.

dsanders06
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Weird how this threadstarter despises the fans of the top two womens tennis players and then has a "faux" anxiety attack about the state of the WTA.

Corrected for you.

NeoZod19
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM
Yes!

Slamniacki
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:12 PM
lets spam this thread

HippityHop
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Firstly, I'd like to stress this is NOT just a thread bitching about Pironkova and Kvitova making the semis, nor am I going to just chant "pigova" or one of its many variants. Hopefully this can be a serious discussion about the health of the wider WTA.

The most alarming thing is 2010 was supposed to be a vintage year for women's tennis - I like most on here was really excited at the beginning of the year, but unfortunately, after a promising start, the WTA has descended into an even more chaotic state than ever before. And the signs are it's only going to get worse in the coming years. Serena's mail-ins are enough to get multiple Slams. Venus seems on the verge of retirement. Justine is now out for months, and it's questionable whether her always frail body will allow her to go for that long. Kim implied in a press conference the other day that she reckons she has about two years max left. We still don't know if Maria will ever return to her former self. Ivanovic's slump is looking interminable. Jankovic would probably retire now if she was given a lifetime's supply of glitter. And of course, the last two Grand Slams have literally re-defined "crapshoot".

Some people have compared it to the mess of the ATP circa 2001-02, but I think even that's generous. For one thing, the Slams were never as messy as these last two have been even back then for the ATP. And for another, even though there were no real top dogs on the ATP back then, everyone knew that there WERE some very promising future prospects, most of all some kid called Federer, who everyone knew was prodigiously talented but just couldn't hold it together mentally. And there was Nalbandian and Roddick waiting in the wings, and some very well-informed pundits even knew about some 14-year-old Spanish left-hander who could run down every ball. But on the WTA now, while I like Wozniacki and Azarenka, future GOATs they ain't.

When will the WTA stop it's slide into ruins?

So are we to take it that Nalbandian and Roddick are future GOATs?

Serendy Willick
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM
Wow, first 2009 was the worst year for womens tennis and the Belgians were supposed to "save" the tour. Now that Serena has proven she isnt going anywhere no matter who comes to play, it's time to panic again.

itzhak
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
It's like thread-virus....

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:18 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO SERENA!!!!!! :bounce: :cheer: :happy:

dsanders06
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
Wow, first 2009 was the worst year for womens tennis and the Belgians were supposed to "save" the tour. Now that Serena has proven she isnt going anywhere no matter who comes to play, it's time to panic again.

If you actually read my post, you'll see that I illustrate the real panic is for the future: in a post-Williams, post-Belgians WTA.

Serendy Willick
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
If you actually read my post, you'll see that I illustrate the real panic is for the future: in a post-Williams, post-Belgians WTA.
Puleeze tell that to someone who was born yesterday.

offkilter
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
I wonder before forums, did tennis fans sit at home and wring their hands pondering the demise of the tour when the then-greats retired...

azinna
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Seeing as panicking never makes for better tennis, I'd say No.

LUVMIRZA
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:23 PM
So wat u gonna do..kill urself:rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
The WTA Tour survived post-King, post-Evert, post-Graf, post-Seles, and post-Navratilova TWICE. If you're panicking, then you're not a real tennis fan.

bbjpa
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM
When some people here will definately understand that there are other players than the Williams, the Belgians, Sharapova or JJ :rolleyes: , maybe after their retirement WTA will be more excited than ever , who knows :crazy:
And for thoses who only venerate formers GS winners why they haven't Francesca on their golden list now ? :lol:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:30 PM
These tournaments make the stars.
If you followed Birmingham 2004 Sharapova was walking around with no security around her, just like Riske would this year.

Its winning majors that create stars, and new players will win majors.

Look how famous Sharapova and Ivanovic got for winning 1 major

Vulturepova
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM

Oh No, not the post-Williams, post-Belgians, post-apocalyptic future where the world is a desert, there is no law, no food, no hope. Children fight for scraps on the street, our natural resources are gone forever and we live under the tyranous rule of Queen Caro of Pushnovia while she makes us all our slaves :sobbing:

I can't help but panic :sad:

Stamp Paid
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
lets spam this threadYou got it.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2rniuyv.jpg

HippityHop
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM
When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM
When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.
Then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars.

Vulturepova
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Look how famous Sharapova and Ivanovic got for winning 1 major

And how famous Dinara got for winning Madrid and Rome :hearts:

:spit:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars.
This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius. The age of Aquarius. Aquarius!

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Harmony and understanding! Peace and and trust abounding!

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM

ooooh I wanna play.....

harmony and understanding,sympathy and trust abounding? :unsure:

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
ooooh I wanna play.....

harmony and understanding,sympathy and trust abounding? :unsure:

You got it! Thanks for the correction! :yeah:

No more falsehoods or derisions, golden living dreams of visions.....

Hian
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
So wat u gonna do..kill urself:rolleyes:

This :worship:
I think there isn0t a real problem. There are strong players, but maybe there aren't ones who can be considered better than the others (except for Williams, Clijsters, Henin, Masha...)

brickhousesupporter
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
You got it! Thanks for the correction! :yeah:

No more falsehoods or derisions, golden living dreams of visions.....

Mystic crystal revalation, and the mind's true liberation. Aquarius!

.......we need to switch songs because that is all I know....:tape::lol::lol:

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Mystic crystal revalation, and the mind's true liberation. Aquarius!

.......we need to switch songs because that is all I know....:tape::lol::lol:
Actually, that's basically it. They repeat the first verse and then Let Billy Davis, Jr. go wild with "Let the Sun Shine In."

New song: Bill! I love you so, I always will.....

brickhousesupporter
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Actually, that's basically it. They repeat the first verse and then Let Billy Davis, Jr. go wild with "Let the Sun Shine In."

New song: Bill! I love you so, I always will.....
I look at you and see the passion eyes of May. Oh, but am I ever gonna see my weddin' day?

Sammy Stones
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM
let's not sing 'let the sunshine in', please :unsure:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
Is this a 5th demension thread?

Bill, I love you so, I always will
I look at you and see the passion eyes of May
Oh, but am I ever gonna see my wedding day
I was on your side Bill when you were loosin'
I never scheme or lie Bill, there's been no foolin'
But kisses and love won't carry me till you marry me Bill

I love you so, I always will
And in your voice I hear a choir of carousels
Oh, but am I ever gonna hear my wedding bells
I was the one who came runnin' when you were lonely
I haven't lived one day not lovin' you only
But kisses and love won't carry me til you marry me Bill

And though devotion rules my heart I take no bows
But Bill you're never gonna take those wedding vows
Oh, come on Bill
Oh, come on Bill
Come on and marry me Bill
I got the wedding bell blues
Please marry me Bill
Marry me Bill

omoruyi
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
"There is no sex in the champagne room"...

tonybotz
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:51 PM
is it time to panic? "hell yea!"- stewie griffin

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
let's not sing 'let the sunshine in', please :unsure:
Spoilsport. :mad:

Sammy Stones
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
Spoilsport. :mad:

sorry if I party pooded. I'm not a fan of Sunshine :o

Midnight_Robber
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM
Ha, ha - yeah. (Though as long as it's the Fifth Dimension's version of it, I don't mind. "Let the Sunshine in" is better than "Age of Aquarius anyway... I love "Wedding Day Blues" and I always think of the film "My Girl" when I hear it...)

Back to the OP. I'm not panicking - everything goes in cycles, and again you cannot fault Serena for having the serve and nerve to win it all. I'll be honest: as she's gotten older, I really don't enjoy Serena's ground game (and worse, I'm feeling similarly about Venus' current 'play' which is an outright mess), but at least Serena still has the mental tenacity to win slams, regardless of who finds it entertaining or not. But I do feel that the complaints that you're getting are different to the Serena slam years when she was winning because she just was too good and people couldn't see a way past her. Now she's winning because she's good enough and nobody else seems to be on their game to mount a real challenge. She's an older player so I don't expect her to replicate her peak years, but some of the rallies she's played this Wimbledon...:rolleyes:

Besides, even if I'm sometimes shaking head at her groundies, they're good on the critical points at least, and even when they're not that great they're *still* good enough to win - which says an awful lot about Serena as well as speaking volumes about the rest of the tour... :tape:

This Wimbledon started out promisingly enough - everyone was holding serve; everyone appeared to be focused; the top women appeared to be playing to ranking at least; sure, the grass wasn't playing as fast as it could be but, hey. Then by the time you got to the third round there were only a handful of players playing really well and it's been downhill from there. This hasn't even been '09 where we got at least one high quality encounter (Serena-Elena). Maria-Serena is as close as it's gotten to an good match imo. It is what it is, but it's been kind of hollow without the great battles, the crisp groundies and the incredible rallies. There have been few amazing shots or matches that have had me on the edge of my seat. But again, the whole tour is to blame for the low quality of play, and again too many so-called "top" players aren't holding their end up of the bargain.

I knew that the Belgians returning wouldn't make nearly as much difference as some posters and pundits expected seeing that they were out for so long and, so I'm not hanging my head sighing as we're in for a likely repeat of 2009.

It's just a case of wait-and-see.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Justine is out for months? Source?

darrinbaker00
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
Justine is out for months? Source?
Type "Justine Henin Injury" in the search box of your choice.

égalité
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:14 AM
Well great, feel free to stop watching (and posting here) if it's causing you so much strife.

HippityHop
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:17 AM
Is this a 5th demension thread?

Bill, I love you so, I always will
I look at you and see the passion eyes of May
Oh, but am I ever gonna see my wedding day
I was on your side Bill when you were loosin'
I never scheme or lie Bill, there's been no foolin'
But kisses and love won't carry me till you marry me Bill

And in your voice I hear a choir of carousels
Oh, but am I ever gonna hear my wedding bells
I was the one who came runnin' when you were lonely
I haven't lived one day not lovin' you only
But kisses and love won't carry me til you marry me Bill

And though devotion rules my heart I take no bows
But Bill you're never gonna take those wedding vows
Oh, come on Bill
Oh, come on Bill
Come on and marry me Bill
Please marry me Bill
Marry me Bill

You're not supposed to post the whole song. Leave some spam for the rest of us. :mad::devil::angel:

Anyhow:

Some folks like to get away, take a holiday from the neighborhood.....

HippityHop
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Hop a flight to Miami Beach or to Hollywood.

What? No Billy Joel fans? :fiery:;)

And no it's not panic time.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
Again new players making the later rounds of slams is good for game when are morons going to stop post these threads saying the tour is doomed.

The tour is doomed if the same players make the later stages slams all the time. Serena dominating or anyone for the matter isn't good for the game.

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
It seems that Serena will be retiring without passing the torch to anyone.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Good gosh, Dsanders. smdh

I guess no more women will ever play tennis again, what? After this year...? When Juju leaves...? When Serena and Vee retire...? When Maria does/doesn't return to form? That will just be the end? No more girls will ever rise up? Woe is us! Woe is the world as we know it! :rolleyes:

Cycles cycle. relax.

Elisse
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
:help: @ this thread

I get so fed up with people being dramatic about the end of the WTA just because we see a few different faces in a Slam semifinals :o To the thread starter, I got news for you...WTA is NOT just made up with the top players...there is about another 1000 or so girls who play week in, week out...slog it out on the low ranked tournaments, travel on their own with no parents or no coach because they can't afford one, have no sponsor, have to pay all their own travel etc...and it's not easy. The girls at the top on the other hand do have it much easier compared with the lower ranked players...so for me, to see some of the lower ranked girls doing well at the Slams is great!!!! :hearts: It's certainly not the end of the WTA, it's when WTA actually starts getting exciting again ;)

btw - And a side note about Francesca winning RG, her matches there were awesome! And the way she believed in herself, played her first ever Slam final and won through playing the most amazing tennis of her life, that is a true Champion and an inspiration...doesn't matter what her ranking was previously..she played that final in a more impressive way that some of the top players have performed in the same situation.