PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe & Murray rate top WTA player ranking potential in ATP

sdtoot
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
McEnroe says top ranked WTA player would be ranked 600 in ATP - Andy Murray says just inside top 1000:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8780054.stm

Are they correct?

Polikarpov
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Just stating the obvious.

Memento83
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
Yes. 600 is being a bit generous, really.

Mightymirza
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
yeah probably.. The microphones :lol: are priceless.. However, if you consider just the heart, serena will beat the crap out of murray :lol: (or most mens players for that matter)

MaBaker
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Mugray would be right behind Wozniacki in WTA.

Nicolás89
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
I don't know I've seen some futures where the top 300 & 400 play and they seem to not know how to serve, pretty much like the WTA top 100. I would rate Serena inside the top 400. :)

Certinfy
Andy and John :lol: Henman should of put his view in as well.

MegaDethly

Where does Mugray come from. I think I know lol

Jankarenka
Woz > Murray

makirilenko
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm more interested in the microphones than what they had to say.

Atrixo
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Are the men really so fucking insecure, that they have to denigrate and put down the women at every opportunity? :mad:

Seriously, you know what they say? They must be overcompensating with all this misogynistic posturing, for something they're lacking "down there". Teenie weenies, anyone? :o:lol:

That's why I despise the men's game, and the douchebags who populate it. Ugh! :rolleyes:

bbjpa
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Wow , these guys are geniuses :worship::worship: they just discovered there are big natural physical differences between men and women :eek::eek:

Hian
Indra Bigi > Murray :o

Kworb
They are probably thinking of the 1997-2002 era back when women's tennis was high quality.

Bijoux0021
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:55 PM
Some men are so insecure. :help:

Deck
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
Are the men really so fucking insecure, that they have to denigrate and put down the women at every opportunity? :mad:

Seriously, you know what they say? They must be overcompensating with all this misogynistic posturing, for something they're lacking "down there". Teenie weenies, anyone? :o:lol:

That's why I despise the men's game, and the douchebags who populate it. Ugh! :rolleyes:

http://www.motivationalz.com/pictures/feminism.jpg

What can I say, they're right. No sound WTA-fan can deny it. Gotta love the caller's intro to the question as well:lol:

MegaDethly
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM
They are probably thinking of the 1997-2002 era back when women's tennis was high quality.

From the same thread in Menstennisforum.com:

Let's get rid of women's professional sports altogether. There's no point cause they're not as good as the men.

What a weirdo.

MegaDethly
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM

Let's get rid of women's professional sports altogether. There's no point cause they're not as good as the men.

What a weirdo you are.

swim4life227
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM

:haha:

Super Dave
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm more interested in the microphones than what they had to say.

IKR! WTH?!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Serena's serve alone would get her into the top 500 I think.

mboyle
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
I think Serena serving well on grass would beat a lot of men outside the top 200 or 300. Her serve is unusually good, and she has a lot of heart. At least it's not like basketball, where the women appear to be contesting a completely different sport from the men...

Aaric
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Murray is a fail in so many ways

Kworb
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM

What a weirdo you are.

The sarcasm was pretty obvious :shrug:

MegaDethly
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
The sarcasm was pretty obvious :shrug:

It certainly was not. Hence I took it seriusly.

Certinfy
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM

What a weirdo.

What a weirdo you are.
You calling this guy a weirdo? You're the weirdo posting the same thing twice :weirdo:

harloo
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
What can I say, they're right. No sound WTA-fan can deny it. Gotta love the caller's intro to the question as well:lol:

This is like beating a dead horse though and to me shows insecurity on the part of the men. To keep rehashing the argument, "the men are better and the women suck" is quite pathetic. It won't change the fact that we have equal prize money at the slams, that Andy Murray is a pompous and boring player with no marketability outside of his country, or that McEnroe needs to basically find something else better to do with his time.

Do you see Kobe, Lebron, or any reputable NBA superstar talking about the WNBA's inferiority? They know they're better but what's the point? A professional female athlete cannot compete with a a professional male athlete. We understand the point, we get it. Now the question is why are ATP players obsessed with the WTA? If you're so good why would you want to compete with a woman anyways? That's some bitch shit if you asked me. :)

The Dawntreader
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
It's so obvious how much Henman hates the women's game.

Could he have been any more smug when that question came through?

Sammo
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mike Bryan couldn't return Sam Stosur's serve playing mixed doubles ŽŽ

Deck
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:34 PM
This is like beating a dead horse though and to me shows insecurity on the part of the men. To keep rehashing the argument, "the men are better and the women suck" is quite pathetic. It won't change the fact that we have equal prize money at the slams, that Andy Murray is a pompous and boring player with no marketability outside of his country, or that McEnroe needs to basically find something else better to do with his time.

Do you see Kobe, Lebron, or any reputable NBA superstar talking about the WNBA's inferiority? They know they're better but what's the point? A professional female athlete cannot compete with a a professional male athlete. We understand the point, we get it. Now the question is why are ATP players obsessed with the WTA? If you're so good why would you want to compete with a woman anyways? That's some bitch shit if you asked me. :)

stop whining
McEnroe even tried to move on without answering, but Henman stayed tough:tape:

and Murray just answered what he was asked. you wanted him to refuse an answer and say I don't want to hurt WTA players feelings? now that would have been embarassing, this way he was simply realistic

and you might understand the point, but I'm pretty sure there's not only a few people thinking Serena can take out a Top100-player

bitch shit? but that (in its uncountable forms) is exactly what makes WTA more interesting than ATP for the majority of fans :shrug:

offkilter
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
this just makes the people involved in this Q&A (mcenroe, henman, murray and the caller) seem extremely juvenile.

There wasn't a need to be dismissive of women's tennis. Why even justify the call with an answer?

Quite disgusting of Murray to actually be so dismissive. Sure the women are definitely going to lose out to the men, but Top 1000? Come on...

Out of the three, only McEnroe seem to realise how offensive the question was. The irony of that...

2Black
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM
U know what ... some of the men CAN'T SERVE. Even Murray's 2nd serve is WTA-ish. I could see Serena or Venus (if their serves are on) taking a set or upsetting one of these non-servers

In fact, Serena would whoop James Blake azz :lol:

debby
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM
Murray :worship: Just speaking the truth.

Please thrash Nadal ! :devil:

JadeFox
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM

My whole thing is why even bother hypothesize about something that's never gonna happen? The women and men are never gonna compete against each other in singles, only mix doubles. Why even bother speculating?

Mike Bryan couldn't return Sam Stosur's serve playing mixed doubles ŽŽ

This post reminds me of a clip I saw three years ago after JJ and Jamie Murray were playing Wimbledon mixed doubles and she was able to return a man's serve for a winner.

And considering that Jamie hasn't played well as a doubles player since their victory I wonder how much of their triumph actually has to do with him.

debby
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
The WS are so overrated in this thread. Murray's serve is actually great, and he would destroy them in rallyes. :lol: Come on, Murray is one of the best players in the world, reached 2 Slam finals (and hopefully 3 tomorrow including one he is going to win :angel: )

kris719
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
lol some people take things a little too personally :lol:

miffedmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Well, part of the deal is that this is one of the few sports where the issue comes up. Actually, in a way, it's a backhanded compliment to the women--much as back in the day when idiot American journalists used to ask Mia Hamm why she didn't try and play in a men's soccer league. (Her response was usually to stare at them incredulously, then make a remark about wanting to promote the womens game).

Honestly, there aren't very many popular sports where a woman would be ranked in the Top 600. ( I know there are some, like ultra-distance swimming where women actually beat men, but let's face it, those sports don't exactly have huge followings).

So, in a stupid, lumbering way, it's a testament to just how good these women are. And to the nature of tennis, which demands as much technique and skill as it does sheer athleticism.

But I do agree it's a stupid, irrelevant question.

Certinfy
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
I actually find it scary to think of what the best returners in the ATP (Ferrer, Davydenko, Murray etc...) could do to the serves of WTA players. :o

miffedmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
The WS are so overrated in this thread. Murray's serve is actually great, and he would destroy them in rallyes. :lol: Come on, Murray is one of the best players in the world, reached 2 Slam finals (and hopefully 3 tomorrow including one he is going to win :angel: )

But he did get aced by fucking DEMENTIEVA at Hopman Cup this year. :haha:

I love Lena.

faboozadoo15
I guess if they were asked, they're already in a lose/lose situation.

These questions don't get asked to Lebron James or hardly any other male athletes.

Dodoboy.
Muggay's second serve is SHIT, would get destroyed by some women - that's it really.

But still, pathetic from both.

Deck
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM
I actually find it scary to think of what the best returners in the ATP (Ferrer, Davydenko, Murray etc...) could do to the serves of WTA players. :o

Well there's people reasoning the lack of aces on the WTA tour with the fact that women can return. Says all.

ireneteri
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
whatever:yawn:

harloo
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
stop whining
McEnroe even tried to move on without answering, but Henman stayed tough:tape:

and Murray just answered what he was asked. you wanted him to refuse an answer and say I don't want to hurt WTA players feelings? now that would have been embarassing, this way he was simply realistic

and you might understand the point, but I'm pretty sure there's not only a few people thinking Serena can take out a Top100-player

bitch shit? but that (in its uncountable forms) is exactly what makes WTA more interesting than ATP the majority of fans :shrug:

Whining about what? I understand the women aren't better but every year it's the same dumb question. Considering Henman was the biggest underachiever amongst the respondents of course he was going to press hard. The bitterness is oozing from his crooked teeth, but then again Henman has always HATED women's tennis.

Murray has always made his rather snide remarks about the women's game also but his comments seem to fly under the radar considering he's not relevant outside of his country. But I'll admit he has a right to his opinion despite the fact that he's boring.:)

I'll let Johnny slide because he's in the middle. Sometimes he's supportive of the women, other times he's just as chauvinistic.

As for your question about the women being more interesting:

The women were smart to capitalize off the rise in popularity of the WTA during 1999-2003. At that time, the WTA was grabbing all the headlines, had some of the highest rated matches during slams, and brought in revenue for the networks. This was the only reason Venus and Billie Jean King were able to convince the Grand Slams to pay the women equally. I don't think the tour is more interesting now that it was during those years or even years before it though. :)

JadeFox
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM
I guess if they were asked, they're already in a lose/lose situation.

Yeah but they should've said no comment. I like Murray and McEnroe but I'm gonna have to bop them on their heads for this one. :smash: :smash:

These questions don't get asked to Lebron James or hardly any other male athletes.

I think the reason why they don't get asked now that I've thought about it is probably because the WTA has players who are just as big of stars as the top male players. Except for one or two players I can't think of many WNBA players who are household names. There doesn't seem to be a female Lebron though I could be wrong. I don't follow basketball in general men or women.

madmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
I think Andy was very generous with TOP 1000 comment though...but we've been through this crap plenty of times before - the main dofference maker would be men's athletic ability and power of their strokes.

hablo
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM

:lol::worship:

friendsita
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM
Mr. No Slam talking LOL... and Mc. is just jealous coz Serena is greater than him.

Slutiana
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
As posters have said, they're just beating a dead horse. Mens and Womens tennis are two different sports with two different skill sets required to win. On the ATP you need a good serve to be successful and on the WTA most of the top girls are great returners.

I was watching part of the Shvedova mixed doubles match today and it made me chuckle to see her taking huge cuts at the first serves of Moodie with good success as well as getting free point after free point behind her own first serve.

I remember Gael was asked a similar question to this at the US Open last year and he refused to answer it, thats what you should do, because it is a stupid question.

:shrug: Murray is a good returner because he gets a lot of balls back, he's hardly going to be crushing anybody's serve. :lol:

volta
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM

:spit: :haha: :sobbing:

mure
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:15 PM
Andy Murray is a disgrace to the human goblin race

Slutiana
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
And the ATP is all about holding serve. On a good serving day, it's not unlikely to suggest that the likes of the WS could push certain ATP players by the virtue of just holding serve and playing first strike/one-two punch tennis and getting to the net. But it's a silly argument either way.

friendsita
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
But he did get aced by fucking DEMENTIEVA at Hopman Cup this year. :haha:

I love Lena.

:lol::lol::lol:

AnywhereButHome
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Mr. No Slam talking LOL... and Mc. is just jealous coz Serena is greater than him.

:lol: :yeah:

cakiteror
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
That`s mysogynistic.
They both should pay WTA a significant amount of money!

Max565
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
ugh... Murray was on the Jonathan Ross show pretty much saying that he didn't watch women's tennis at all... i kinda lost respect for him after that...

Deck
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM
ugh... Murray was on the Jonathan Ross show pretty much saying that he didn't watch women's tennis at all... i kinda lost respect for him after that...

for being honest?
at least he played Hopman Cup with Laura:p

Calypso
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
:rolleyes:Appreciate the WTA for what it is; there's no need to try to put down the women's game all the time!
Why do these guys derive so much pleasure from bashing the WTA? :confused:

Men and women have different physical abilities, and Mac and Mugray look so silly trying to make the ATP look better by insulting the ability of the top ranked female players. So petty!

^And who cares whether or not Murray watches women's tennis? I don't see a situation where every fan will go 'Oh, Andy is watching women's tennis, I need to get to the nearest TV quick :rolleyes:.

Well, Federer, the GOAT contender, and a much more classy player on and off the court, has mentioned watching women's matches in the past and has commented on some women's matches and even said he appreciates Svetlana's style of play IIRC. So, focus on trying to win your first slam Andy and leave the women's game alone!

miffedmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah but they should've said no comment. I like Murray and McEnroe but I'm gonna have to bop them on their heads for this one. :smash: :smash:

I think the reason why they don't get asked now that I've thought about it is probably because the WTA has players who are just as big of stars as the top male players. Except for one or two players I can't think of many WNBA players who are household names. There doesn't seem to be a female Lebron though I could be wrong. I don't follow basketball in general men or women.

It's also annoying because it's a slap at a perceived lack of athleticism in tennis, IMHO. In some circles, tennis is seen as a sissy sport. That's why I cited the fact it was American journalists who asked Hamm if she'd consider playing in a men's league. In the US sports establishment in the '80s and '90s, soccer was not perceived as being as masculine as 'MERICAN football.

Just as no European or South American or African reporter would have asked Hamm if she thought she could play in say, the EPL, no reporter feels the need to ask Lebron about the WNBA because the answer is self-evident.

This question is offensively stupid because it disrespects both women AND tennis--while managing to still be a backhanded compliment to the top women.

LCS
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Probably right :shrug:

laurie
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM

They were joking around - don't take it seriously, don't fall into the trap.

There's nothing wrong in acknowldeging Mens Tennis is better than Womens Tennis. The WTA have to sell their Tennis as a different product, not in compraison to Mens Tennis. That way, everyone will be happy - I think.....

debby
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:50 PM

:weirdo: We are not forced to watch women's tennis.

tennislover
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Mr. and Mc. is just jealous coz Serena is greater than him.

Serena greater than John McEnroe??

joke of the year

JadeFox
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
It's also annoying because it's a slap at a perceived lack of athleticism in tennis, IMHO. In some circles, tennis is seen as a sissy sport. That's why I cited the fact it was American journalists who asked Hamm if she'd consider playing in a men's league. In the US sports establishment in the '80s and '90s, soccer was not perceived as being as masculine as 'MERICAN football.

Just as no European or South American or African reporter would have asked Hamm if she thought she could play in say, the EPL, no reporter feels the need to ask Lebron about the WNBA because the answer is self-evident.

This question is offensively stupid because it disrespects both women AND tennis--while managing to still be a backhanded compliment to the top women.

Ah yes, the "sissy" argument. Yeah because the height of masculinity is to have a sport full of men who get into altercations at strip clubs, beat up women, participate in dog fights and nightclub shootings. :rolleyes:

Of course calling a sport a sissy one is as sexist as they come. After all, the worst insult you can still lob at a male athlete is that he plays like a girl. And who wants to be a girl anyway, girls suck amirite?! High Five bro! :rolleyes:

And people think feminism isn't necessary anymore.

Richie's
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM
McEnroe says top ranked WTA player would be ranked 600 in ATP - Andy Murray says just inside top 1000:-

Are they correct?

I always hate when British comment like this. Somethimes, they can be soo stupid.
There is no point to compere WTA and ATP. If Rena was male, she could kick Murray's and McEnroe's asses so easily.

I also hate when some old-bitches players (men and women) talk badly about current active players. And I really don't care about their history or wins.
Tennis is so hard and high quality sport last 8 years, so they should :tape:

Richie's
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:01 PM

joke of the year

Of course she is. When McEnroe won his titles and matches, there are only few good tennis players. What do you think??? Can McEnroe or other old bitches compete with today's guys?? They will around 200-300.
I start hating old "legends" who see years passing and getting older and older. Go home finaly and leave the place for new faces.

Deck
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Of course she is. When McEnroe won his titles and matches, there are only few good tennis players. What do you think??? Can McEnroe or other old bitches compete with today's guys?? They will around 200-300.

Comparing McEnroe to Roddick, Borg to Nadal or Laver to Federer is even more pointless than comparing ATP to WTA.

Vikapower
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:49 PM
Oh my I love people comparing Murray and Wozniacki. :rolleyes: Wozniacki is a tactician, has great timing, has super court sens, adapts to the opponents, has great anticipation skills, great hands, has all the spins in her racquet, has great counter-pounching abilities, has the greatest backhand in WTA, has super returning skills... :rolleyes: Murray has the perfect game to counter WTA.

As for the the WTA rating in ATP they're not completely wrong since the boys would easily be able to disrupt the girls rythm with their the simple fact that they control more spins than the girls especially the slice which a fabulous shot against power.

debby
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Oh my I love people comparing Murray and Woznicki. :rolleyes: Wozniacki is a tactician, has super court sens, adapts to the opponents, has great anticipation skills, great hands, has all the spins in her racquet, has great counter-pounching abilities, has the greatest backhand in WTA, has super returning skills... :rolleyes: Murray has the perfect game to counter WTA.

:worship:

ClijstersGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:04 PM
I start hating old "legends" who see years passing and getting older and older. Go home finaly and leave the place for new faces.

:lol: McEnroe competed with 3 GOAT candidates: Borg, Connors and Lendl.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
The video was done in a bit of insulting light, but overall it is the truth. The women would not survive in the ATP certainly, so I don't understand why people think that Murray, Henman, McEnroe are being sexist.

I doubt that Serena could even win on the ATP Legends Tour against those guys. The ATP level is just a much stronger level, and for the few people that are even discussing WTA against Top 10 ATP players...

:weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

offkilter
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:23 PM
i don't think McEnroe was being sexist, he was visibly disturbed by the question. Murray, well he was on the phone, so we couldn't see his body language etc etc.

But Henman... what a misogynistic pr**k

WowWow
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Awww another case of 'big ego, small willy' complex strikes in a 'let's shit on women to make us feel better' manner :wavey:

Slutati
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM
Who cares. Murray is ugly.

duhcity
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Come on guys, you'd have to go into the juniors for a woman to win a match. It's just not a fair comparison. The men play a far more consistent game.
Doesn't mean it wouldn't be somewhat competitive. I saw Chela spinning in 55 MPH second serves last year. Would be destroyed by any big hitter.

HippityHop
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:48 AM

Are they correct?

Whoop dee doo!! Now what?

FFS use da slice
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM
the fact of the matter is that "power tennis" rules the WTA right now. people get so hyped about how hard they hit, they totally forget that these same girls are sometimes very lacking in the rest of the game. speaking about just power im sure the top girls can match the lower ranked guys, BUT tennis isnt all about power. and THAT'S what makes this discussion pointless. a well rounded low ranked guy will beat a high ranked girls because the advantage that the top girls have over other girls, power, is nullified by the natural power of a man. besides power, what's left of the top girls' games is laughable compared to the mens game. sorry, but its the truth... the media is just too politically correct to say what we all know is true...

Beat
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
i just don't understand what he point of such questions is.

M.P
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Murray won't win a Grand Slam i only gonna say
he won't be relevant in 10 years later

Serenita
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Awww another case of 'big ego, small willy' complex strikes in a 'let's shit on women to make us feel better' manner :wavey:

:lol: Spot on

The Witch-king
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
I remember Gael was asked a similar question to this at the US Open last year and he refused to answer it, thats what you should do, because it is a stupid question.

:lol:

Was that a post-match interview?

Dominic
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
First of all, I think it would be even more insulting to not answer at all. It's like"dude the women are so bad that Im not even gonna answer this." and second, Murray has been proven wrong before, Mcenroe is probably close to the truth.

swim4life227
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM

joke of the year

She has more slams...and she also had a better outburst than he ever did.

Too bad for Murray the #1 player has 12 more single slams than he ever will, likely 13 more in less than 24 hours.

Ferg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Cant believe that mug Murray is getting the same prize money as Pironkova. At least she won a set.

tennislover
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM

right

tennislover
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
She has more slams...and she also had a better outburst than he ever did.

the quality of a player is not only numbers IMHO

The Witch-king
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:34 PM
the quality of a player is not only numbers IMHO

doesn't hurt that he was born with a penis huh

AcesHigh
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
The video was done in a bit of insulting light, but overall it is the truth. The women would not survive in the ATP certainly, so I don't understand why people think that Murray, Henman, McEnroe are being sexist.

I doubt that Serena could even win on the ATP Legends Tour against those guys. The ATP level is just a much stronger level, and for the few people that are even discussing WTA against Top 10 ATP players...

:weirdo: :weirdo: :weirdo:

Pretty much. I've known some college players that could tear apart half of the top 10.

AcesHigh
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
Cant believe that mug Murray is getting the same prize money as Pironkova. At least she won a set.

And he won a lot more sets than she did and played tougher competition... what's your point

KClijsters
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:44 AM

I don't understand it either. That's why men play against men and woman play against woman. It's very simple.

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
And the ATP is all about holding serve. On a good serving day, it's not unlikely to suggest that the likes of the WS could push certain ATP players by the virtue of just holding serve and playing first strike/one-two punch tennis and getting to the net. But it's a silly argument either way.

No top male player who regularly deals with the serves of Roddick, Isner, Berdych, et al would have any trouble with Serena's serve. It's not even in the same ballpark.

Donny
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
Inside the 1000 seems pretty generous. In most sports it'd probably be somewhere in the thousands, if not ten thousands.

Baselinebasher
Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:30 AM

You have some nerve calling Murray a mug. If anything this women's Wimbledon has been an embarrassment. Wozniacki, the number 4 in the world, being destroyed by #62 Kvitova. 5 time Wimbledon champ Venus being humiliated by world number 82. Clijsters losing to Zvonareva, who is a known headcase and never achieved anything on grass, after being a set up. Kanepi, a qualifier, reaching QF without dropping a set. And don't forget the RG champion and runner up crashing out in the first round....and you're calling Murray a mug? :rolleyes: Please stop embarrassing yourself.

edificio
Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:27 AM

Apparently they are that insecure. Seriously. I can't fucking believe they bother with such speculation.:help:

hingisGOAT
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Um... I think they were actually being very generous :confused: Top male college players would beat the top WTA players...

Tanja8
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
I don`t understand why they bring up this topic from time to time again ...
Yes, women and men are different. I`m sure there are plenty of men in the world who run faster than 10.49 which is world record for women 100m.
So what. That`s why they don`t compete together.
(I still think they should compete together in chess - like sisters Polgar did.)

tennis-insomniac
Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Nadal would never answer such a question he's much more a gentlemen than murray.....from a guy who has much love and respect for his mother he should know better
God (or nature) has given Men much more privilege stronger physical, that's why it's a men responsibility to protect women and respect her as if not for them they would never be male on this earth

Chrissie-fan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
i don't think McEnroe was being sexist, he was visibly disturbed by the question.
Yep. He was like, "I can't believe they ask me about such nonsense."

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
No top male player who regularly deals with the serves of Roddick, Isner, Berdych, et al would have any trouble with Serena's serve. It's not even in the same ballpark.
Well they don't deal with them at all. :lol:

It's all about placement. Serena's serve is so precise and that's what counts. Gilles Simon, at his best, still gets shitloads of free points/easy putaways on his first serve even though he very rarely serves over 125. It's placement.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM

joke of the year
Why? Peak McEnroe was a magician, but Serena won more slams, she won all four of them and she won them over a longer period of time (and she ain't done yet).

Acinolbaj
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
still, women players are mentally stronger and donīt cry when they watch at the trophy they didnīt win.

aussie_fan
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
They were asked a direct question and gave an answer, don't see any problem here.

Betten
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
still, women players are mentally stronger and donīt cry when they watch at the trophy they didnīt win.

Novotna :rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Well they don't deal with them at all. :lol:

It's all about placement. Serena's serve is so precise and that's what counts. Gilles Simon, at his best, still gets shitloads of free points/easy putaways on his first serve even though he very rarely serves over 125. It's placement.

They don't have a chance. The men hit 90 MPH+ on FH winners and some are clocked over 100 MPH from a select few players. That's with much more spin on the ball and absolutely heavy. Women wouldn't last in the rally not even bringing the superior variety into the equation.

The guys could beat them comfortably each time without a doubt and there are no exceptions.

Baselinebasher
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM

You have got to be kidding. 99% of WTA players are major headcases.

Slutiana
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
They don't have a chance. The men hit 90 MPH+ on FH winners and some are clocked over 100 MPH from a select few players. That's with much more spin on the ball and absolutely heavy. Women wouldn't last in the rally not even bringing the superior variety into the equation.

The guys could beat them comfortably each time without a doubt and there are no exceptions.
I know. I'm not saying that top 100 male players would get beaten by WTA players, but just that serving at their best, ther Williamses could hold serve pretty frequently.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I know. I'm not saying that top 100 male players would get beaten by WTA players, but just that serving at their best, ther Williamses could hold serve pretty frequently.

If you can hold serve 'pretty frequently' that would loosely imply they have a chance to win a set or even a match. It simply isn't true. Neither of them would hold serve frequently. It they held 2x per set I would be genuinely surprised.

Serena might win 1 free point per first serve each game. That's about it. The men deal with much faster serves with much more ball movement and spin.

Venus' serve would not be much trouble on the ATP tour. Her precision is mediocre and 120 MPH flat, not near the line wouldn't win any free points. Her second serve is absolutely abysmal.

Jajaloo
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
They're right, but did it need to be said?

Acinolbaj
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
You have got to be kidding. 99% of WTA players are major headcases.

women in sports are mentally stronger than men. men in sports are mentally strong too but not as much as women. men use more their physical and adventurous power while women use their emotionally and fragile site, thatīs why women arenīt still so competitive in sports and there is so many headcases. there are emotion upsets. we just control our emotions too much.

and women are just with painful things all their life, we have stomachache or backache and giving a birth is pain of dead.

study a little biology

AcesHigh
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
If you can hold serve 'pretty frequently' that would loosely imply they have a chance to win a set or even a match. It simply isn't true. Neither of them would hold serve frequently. It they held 2x per set I would be genuinely surprised.

Serena might win 1 free point per first serve each game. That's about it. The men deal with much faster serves with much more ball movement and spin.

Venus' serve would not be much trouble on the ATP tour. Her precision is mediocre and 120 MPH flat, not near the line wouldn't win any free points. Her second serve is absolutely abysmal.

I think 1 free point each game for Serena is generous as well.. unless she's REALLY on. Thing is what would be easy aces on the WTA could be returned or at least blocked back on the ATP.

I don't think people understand how drastically different not only the serving is, but the returning as well.

sdtoot
Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think Serena could be top 500 on her day but the rest of the WTA would not stand a chance against the top 1000 ATP players. Apart from Serena, mental strength is severely lacking in the WTA at the present time, so to say that women are mentally more stronger than men is just laughable.

debby
Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM

I think 1 free point each game for Serena is generous as well.. unless she's REALLY on. Thing is what would be easy aces on the WTA could be returned or at least blocked back on the ATP.

I don't think people understand how drastically different not only the serving is, but the returning as well.

Especially that most of men are serving way faster than Serena's fastest serve and still, they don't win a lot.

Are you kidding me right ? :sobbing: Mentally stronger ? LMFAO !