PDA

View Full Version : ESPN The Pulse: Serena in discussion as best women's player ever?

nfl46
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
A poll was posted on ESPN pulse and the four choices were:

Who is the greatest women's tennis player of all time?

1)Chris Evert - 7%
2)Serena Williams - 35%
3)Martina Navratilova - 42%
4)Other - 16%

Do you agree? Wow. No Steffi?

http://espn.go.com/tennis/pulse

timafi
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
Navratilova
Steffi

Serena

Thanx4nothin
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Bias Americans :lol: Nope. Long way to go to parallel those achievements.

The Dawntreader
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Oh dear. This poll just emmitted the GOAT.

Craig.
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Graf not an option :spit:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
that couldn't possibly be a legitimate poll. no way.

pokey camp
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
Graf not an option :spit:
That's ESPN for you. Martina's only in it because she naturalized, otherwise Chris and Serena would be the only options. :o :help:

serenafan08
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Graf hands down is the GOAT. Not just because of weeks @ #1, titles, but she's the only player to win each major a MINIMUM of four times. Not just greatest player but greatest all-court player of all time.

Ryan
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Only if your memory goes back as far as 1999. :lol:

She has half of Court's GOAT total. 10 less than Graf. 6 behind Nav and Evert. Id rank her at #5.

dsanders06
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
We had this discussion a few weeks ago, and the general consensus among the non-Serena-obsessives was that she needs 8 more Slams including 2 FO's at the very least before she even gets in the discussion.

makirilenko
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
No Steffi makes this poll an immediate joke. Serena can definitely be in the conversation, but the poll is pretty flawed when you leave out someone of Steffi's stature.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
That's ESPN for you. Martina's only in it because she naturalized, otherwise Chris and Serena would be the only options. :o :help:

:haha: hilarious but true.

No Steffi makes this poll an immediate joke. Serena can definitely be in the conversation, but the poll is pretty flawed when you leave out someone of Steffi's stature.

exactly. great post.

serena is the best of her generation though but that's not the poll question so...

Volcana
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
that couldn't possibly be a legitimate poll. no way.Could a legit ESPN poll. All they listed were Americans.

Salve
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
In terms on talent and ability, I am willing to say that Serena is the greatest ever.

In terms of achievement, clearly not.

missvarsha
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
In terms on talent and ability, I am willing to say that Serena is the greatest ever.

This is a legitimate argument and people can have their own opinion - but this thread isn't about "Who is the GOAT" but rather "How retarded is ESPN".
You can make a legit case for any of the players (Evert, Navratilova, Williams), but to clump Steffi Graf into "others" is just plain rubbish.

Stamp Paid
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:27 PM
I dont care, as long as shes greater than Venus and Justine.

Gdsimmons
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
How many times has this been brought up?? Do I think shes the greatest ever, no. Do I think shes ONE of the greatest ever, absolutely

SoClose
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Serena
Venus

Graf

Anabelcroft
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
Graf hands down is the GOAT. Not just because of weeks @ #1, titles, but she's the only player to win each major a MINIMUM of four times. Not just greatest player but greatest all-court player of all time.

Agree...and Richard Williams also

irma
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
It's not just about Steffi. Court should be in every discussion too afterall the woman won +- 200 tournaments during her career and she got babies in between. How can the woman who won most grand slams in singles and overall not be in the discussion?

2Black
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:52 PM
What a stupid poll ... ESPN can be so dumb sometimes. Plus, Serena hasn't event won the tournament IDIOTS

friendsita
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
TBH Serena.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
A poll was posted on ESPN pulse and the four choices were:

Who is the greatest women's tennis player of all time?

1)Chris Evert - 7%
2)Serena Williams - 35%
3)Martina Navratilova - 42%
4)Other - 16%

Do you agree? Wow. No Steffi?

http://espn.go.com/tennis/pulse
Well, any poll that doesn't include Steffi is absurd.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
That was settled long ago. Anyone who's still arguing otherwise is just in denial.

ireneteri
one of the greats, but not the greatest...yet. may be one day, when she tops Graf's number of grand slam titles

miffedmax
You'd have to say of the Open Era to justify leaving out Wills-Moody and Lenglen. And from what I've read and seen (albeit in old newsreels that were edited to flatter her) only injury prevented Connally-Brinker from putting up some just batshit crazy numbers. Even with just 9 slams, it's hard to keep the first Grand Slam winner off your list, IMHO.

Frankly, you know it's beyond an epic fail when the list of people you left out is legitimately longer than the list of people you included.

Salve
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM
This is a legitimate argument and people can have their own opinion - but this thread isn't about "Who is the GOAT" but rather "How retarded is ESPN".
You can make a legit case for any of the players (Evert, Navratilova, Williams), but to clump Steffi Graf into "others" is just plain rubbish.

ESPN polls are always a joke. :o

MistyGrey
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM

Then you dont have anything to worry about! ;)

darrinbaker00
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM

Since when do talent and ability not manifest themselves in results?

chloe-l
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM

:worship:

Serendy Willick
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm a Serena fan and this poll is a hot joke. Graf and Margret Court are the greatest. They also need to start including some of the old school greats like Wills-Moody and Mo Connnelly(This Open era crap is a joke). With that being said, my Ree is among there somewhere. I hope she gets this Wimby title and cooks up another US Open and French Open sometime in the future.(also get those two missing mixed doubles so she can get the triple slam in FO, AO, Wimby, USO in singles, doubles, and mixed)

young_gunner913
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
You guys there's no need to get bent out of shape, ESPN butchers names, doesnt get facts right, and doesnt really give a shit when it comes to tennis honestly. For those of you taking this poll seriously and pissing your pants with anger, welcome to ESPN.

Vikapower
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:31 PM
In terms on talent and ability, I am willing to say that Serena is the greatest ever. In terms of achievement, clearly not.
:spit: So are you saying that Serena is more talented than Kim or Lindsey ? Even Maria has more talent than Serena. What a joke. :lol: BTW that poll from ESPN. :help:

Monirena Wiles
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM
I would pick Serena but not having Steffi makes that a dumb poll!

Lilowannabe
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM
:spit: So are you saying that Serena is more talented than Kim or Lindsey ? Even Maria has more talent than Serena. What a joke. :lol: BTW that poll from ESPN. :help:

really? kim, maria and lindsey are all cleaner ball strikers than serena. But in terms of sheer talent, shot making, especially serving shes the greatest players of this generation and most talented

AcesHigh
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM

Obvious troll

miffedmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:10 PM
ESPN polls are always a joke. :o

If only it was just there polls...

BluSthil
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:45 PM
Yes, I agree... :worship:

Martina Navratalova

Tennis Records

Former #1 Tennis Player

Billie Jean King: “Navratalova is the greatest single player, doubles and mixed doubles player who ever lived”

Tennis writer Steve Flink: named Navratalova as the second best female player of the 20th century, directly behind Steffi Graf”

Tennis Magazine: selected her as the greatest female tennis player for the years 1965 thru 2005.
Records:

18 Grand Slam singles titles
31 Grand Slam women’s doubles titles
10 Grand Slam mixed doubles titles

Navratalova reached the Wimbledon singles final 12 times, including 9 consecutive years from 1982 thru 1990.

Won the women’s singles title at Wimbledon a record 9 times.

Ties Billie Jean King’s 20 Wimbledon titles by winning the mixed doubles in 2006.

Is one of just three (3) women to have accomplished a Career Grand Slam in singles, women’s doubles, and mixed doubles (Called the Grand Slam Box Set).

Navratalova holds the open era record for most singles and doubles tournament wins (167 & 177 titles respectively).

She recorded the longest winning streak in tennis history (74 matches in a row), and three of the top six (6) longest winning streaks in women’s tennis history.

Navratalova shares the record for the most consecutive Grand Slam Singles Tournament Championships won (six (6).

She reached 11 consecutive Grand Slam Singles Finals (2nd all time).

In doubles, Navratalova & Shriver won 109 consecutive matches. They won the Calendar Year Grand Slam in 1984 as a team. They also tied the record of 20 Grand Slam Doubles titles as a team.

Steffica Greles
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
:lol:..................:help:

AlwaysGraf
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:33 AM

hahaha

in terms of talent and ability serena isn't even close to being the greatest-jesus even hingis and henin are greater if that was how it was measured

serena is big and muscly-she can muscle her way to slam wins
she cant hit a slice, her volleys are meh, and her attitude and the way she lumps about the court when she's getting beat with that about to cry look is shit
i cant stand the woman, seriously cant, and cant wait to she leaves the sport
even considering her the GOAT is absoulutely disgusting and disrespectful to court/nav/evert and graf!!!!!

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM

Out of interest, on a range of topics, what else are you willing to say?

:lol:

omoruyi
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM

i agree..but the poll is some embarrassing fail-matter though... :o

tennisphilia
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
Only if your memory goes back as far as 1999. :lol:

She has half of Court's GOAT total. 10 less than Graf. 6 behind Nav and Evert. Id rank her at #5.

She'll be my number 5 too.
But, I'll put her behind Graf if she ups her GS total to 18 and wins another French in the process.

Donny
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:00 AM
Since when do talent and ability not manifest themselves in results?

All the time. Not just in tennis; all sports.

Donny
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:01 AM
hahaha

in terms of talent and ability serena isn't even close to being the greatest-jesus even hingis and henin are greater if that was how it was measured

she cant hit a slice, her volleys are meh, and her attitude and the way she lumps about the court when she's getting beat with that about to cry look is shit
even considering her the GOAT is absoulutely disgusting and disrespectful to court/nav/evert and graf!!!!!

Serena's slice serve out wide is a greater shot than Henin or Hingis have ever hit.

Or does that not count as talent?

Olórin
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Not playing like this she isn't.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:31 AM
this slam talk makes me sick. the competitive world out there when nav, graf, and evert were winning slams was MUCH LESS and deep than it is now.
1)Graf
2)Nav
3)Serena
4)Evert

Stamp Paid
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM
hahaha

You really should have stopped here, because all this:

even considering her the GOAT is absoulutely disgusting and disrespectful to court/nav/evert and graf!!!!!just makes you look like the bitter hag that you are. :awww:

Lindsayfan32
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Come back and we'll start having this discussion again when she anywhere near Evert and after she pass Graf. She may get to Evert's 18 but she no where near the greatest play to play game that is and always will be court. Serena has no hope of catching her and the only people who think she is the greatest is her fans.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
this slam talk makes me sick. the competitive world out there when nav, graf, and evert were winning slams was MUCH LESS and deep than it is now.
1)Graf
2)Nav
3)Serena
4)Evert

You almost have this right.

1. Court
2. Graf
3. Nav
4. Evert
5. Serena

Until Serena pass Evert in slams which great careers are measured on Serena is still 5th in line and stll has 6 slams to go before goes any further. There is every chance she will catch Evert's 18 but I don't think she going much further than that. :) Doesn't matter when you played your career is still measured by the slams you win and Serena is no where near being greatest of all time. she still has 12 slams just to tie that record so come back and start this debate again if she ever get anywhere near court.

Bezz
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
How they could leave off steffi is kinda bizzare....I dont think serena has challenged the top 3/4 just yet.Once she gets herself on 17/18 slams herself then you would have to start counting her. Saying that the shear number of titles evert and navrat have in singles and doubles makes me still put them slightley ahead of serena should she draw level with them on 18.

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Serena isn't the greatest...still has ways to go. But all this talk that she can't play, she can't do this, blah blah... what's up with that?

It's logical that people are starting to compare her with the holy foursome..because what else is left for Serena to be compared with?! She's left EVERYBODY else miles behind her. Now she only has to look up to the 4 greatest ever players. Only time will tell if she'll ever join them.

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Regardless of how idiotic the poll is, this is such a futile discussion. It's not even clear what "A is better than B" means. Some players are very talented but fail to win when it matters. Some players are not naturally talented but win with their determination.

At the end, what people valorize more whatever advantages their fave... The Graf vs Navratilova debate being the prime example.

What we have is a group of players who are great, and it's pointless to try to create a hierarchy between them.

samsam4087
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Matina Navratilova is the greatest!!

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:51 PM
1)Graf
2)Nav
3)Serena
4)Evert

Serena above CHRIS EVERT? That should carry a jail sentence

Here goes:

Chris won 18 grandslam titles, having missed the French Open 3 consecutive years in the 1970s, which would almost certainly have been hers (given she was undefeated on clay for 125 matches, an all-time streak).

Chris is 3rd on the all-time list of weeks at number one. She would arguably have been 2nd ahead of Navratilova had the rankings not been introduced when she was already number one.

Chris won 157 singles titles from 1971 up to 1989.

Chris has the highest winning percentage of all-time (90%)

Chris won at least one slam for 13 consecutive seasons (1974-1986), a record.

In her career, 1971-1989, only four times did Chris fail to make the semi-finals of a grandslam tournament (one of those was due to a gypy tummy and two others were quarter-final finishes): a record that will surely NEVER be broken.

Chris was NEVER ranked outside the top 4 until her retirement, aged 35, in 1989.

Chris' last tour victory was a 6-0 6-2 spanking of a certain Monica Seles, who was only 9 months away from her first slam.

Chris reached more grandslam finals than either Graf or Navratilova (or Serena :lol:).

Chris won ALL slams at least twice.

On grass, her least favourite surface, Evert reached 10 Wimbledon finals (1973, 74,76, 78,79,80,81,82,84,85), winning 3.

Now tell me in all seriousness that Serena can be ranked above that magnifience? In fact, Chris has at least a case for being the GREATEST of all time on some of those statistics, let alone ranked below a player whose career has been very stop-start and full of wasted opportunities by the standards of any era.

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
this slam talk makes me sick.

So. Shall we examine Serena's NON-SLAM record? :lol:

Not a leg to stand on.

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
Serena above CHRIS EVERT? That should carry a jail sentence

Here goes:

Chris won 18 grandslam titles, having missed the French Open 3 consecutive years in the 1970s, which would almost certainly have been hers (given she was undefeated on clay for 125 matches, an all-time streak).

Chris is 3rd on the all-time list of weeks at number one. She would arguably have been 2nd ahead of Navratilova had the rankings not been introduced when she was already number one.

Chris won 157 singles titles from 1971 up to 1989.

Chris has the highest winning percentage of all-time (90%)

Chris won at least one slam for 13 consecutive seasons (1974-1986), a record.

In her career, 1971-1989, only four times did Chris fail to make the semi-finals of a grandslam tournament (one of those was due to a gypy tummy and two others were quarter-final finishes): a record that will surely NEVER be broken.

Chris was NEVER ranked outside the top 4 until her retirement, aged 35, in 1989.

Chris' last tour victory was a 6-0 6-2 spanking of a certain Monica Seles, who was only 9 months away from her first slam.

Chris reached more grandslam finals than either Graf or Navratilova (or Serena :lol:).

Chris won ALL slams at least twice.

On grass, her least favourite surface, Evert reached 10 Wimbledon finals (1973, 74,76, 78,79,80,81,82,84,85), winning 3.

Now tell me in all seriousness that Serena can be ranked above that magnifience? In fact, Chris has at least a case for being the GREATEST of all time on some of those statistics, let alone ranked below a player whose career has been very stop-start and full of wasted opportunities by the standards of any era.

Wasted opportunities, huh? Well only if you talk about regular tournaments... and even then, Monica Seles is even more of a waste, than Serena...so really you should just stop talking sometimes.

Serena always focused more at the big tourneys..her choice and she's doing great job at it.
Sure doesn't have the SHEER numbers like the elite foursome..but still:

She's won the 5/6 biggest tourneys all of them multiple times, except RG.
5 Miami's
2 IW ( and probably lots more if not for ' 01)
2 YEC
5 Oz
3 Wim and U.S. opens

And u talking like Serena is chopped liver?

Baselinebasher
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Wasted opportunities, huh? Well only if you talk about regular tournaments... and even then, Monica Seles is even more of a waste, than Serena...so really you should just stop talking sometimes.

Serena always focused more at the big tourneys..her choice and she's doing great job at it.

5 Miami's
2 YEC
5 Oz
3 Wim and U.S. opens

Nobody cares about MM tournies when it comes to tennis history. S.Williams is not even on the same page as Chris Evert when it comes to GOAT discussion. She is in an entire different league (see Navratilova and Graf). Serena is a second rate player compared to Chris whether you like it or not.

MegaDethly
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
Serena is shit on clay. Serena is a shit volleyer.

The discussion should not exist.

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM

5 Miami's
2 YEC
5 Oz
3 Wim and U.S. opens

What's Monica Seles got to do with the price of fish?

The poster was rating Serena Williams above Chris Evert, which is nothing more than a farce to anyone who knows anything about tennis. Serena is not chopped liver or whatever you're calling it, and nor is Monica Seles, seen as you raised her name. But neither compare to Chris. And that's really all there is to say - the statistics back me up on that.

Olórin
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Serena is a second rate player compared to Chris whether you like it or not.

Serena is very comparable to Chrissie and Chrissie herself has sung Serena's praises as one of the best ever, whether you like it or not.

FFS use da slice
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
This is a JOKE!

Serena should be remembered as the most physically gifted player above all else. that's not to say she has no skill, but when she has so much athleticism, is it all that hard to see why she dominates like she has? the best players of the past never had such a huge physical advantage. as fit as martina nav was, she wasnt like serena is now...

anyways, best player ever has to be martina nav... followed closely by graf... serena? she has her place in history, but people should put her game in context. the game today isnt what it was back then. its waaaaay more physical, and that's exactly what serena does best...

MegaDethly
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:01 PM
This is a JOKE!

Serena should be remembered as the most physically gifted player above all else.

Nah babe, that's Venus.

FFS use da slice
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Nah babe, that's Venus.

are u kidding? look at serena's build. she's like a NFL linebacker. powerful as heck, quick as heck, in a relatively compact package. venus is no where NEAR serena physically speaking. venus is tall and she gets a lot of power from that. she's also fast because of her long legs. but her build has also affected her game for the worse, like her service game.

Vikapower
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Nah babe, that's Venus.
are u kidding? look at serena's build. she's like a NFL linebacker. powerful as heck, quick as heck, in a relatively compact package. venus is no where NEAR serena physically speaking. venus is tall and she gets a lot of power from that. she's also fast because of her long legs. but her build has also affected her game for the worse, like her service game.
No you 2 are both wrong this award goes to Kim Clijsters. Rewatch USO 2005 and when at her absolute physical best how much she can run, hit hard from 3ft back with great timing, defend etc... :wavey:

Serendy Willick
Jul 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
No you 2 are both wrong this award goes to Kim Clijsters. Rewatch USO 2005 and when at her absolute physical best how much she can run, hit hard from 3ft back with great timing, defend etc... :wavey:
Nope. Kim at her physical best is nowhere near Serena at her best.

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
What's Monica Seles got to do with the price of fish?

The poster was rating Serena Williams above Chris Evert, which is nothing more than a farce to anyone who knows anything about tennis. Serena is not chopped liver or whatever you're calling it, and nor is Monica Seles, seen as you raised her name. But neither compare to Chris. And that's really all there is to say - the statistics back me up on that.

Thank you! I hoped you learned your lesson! Enough already with the dissings... sometimes they're funny, but after sometime they get old.

See, because when Monica Seles enters the conversation..suddenly it ain't much fun anymore huh?

Steffica Greles
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
Thank you! I hoped you learned your lesson! Enough already with the dissings... sometimes they're funny, but after sometime they get old.

See, because when Monica Seles enters the conversation..suddenly it ain't much fun anymore huh?

You can 'diss' Monica Seles all you like for all I care. That's the difference between me and the likes of you. I don't take postings on an internet message board personally ;-)

bandabou
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
You can 'diss' Monica Seles all you like for all I care. That's the difference between me and the likes of you. I don't take postings on an internet message board personally ;-)

I don't take them personally either, it ain't like I'm Serena or something.

But I do think you got my point. Good..don't do it again. :smoke::bigwave:

doni1212
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Apparently Navratilova said she's not going to start getting nervous about Serena passing or reaching her slam count until Serena gets 17 slams.

Random I know but just wanted to post that...

Craig.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Apparently Navratilova said she's not going to start getting nervous about Serena passing or reaching her slam count until Serena gets 17 slams.

Random I know but just wanted to post that...

Getting nervous? She said that? Jokingly I hope?

doni1212
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Getting nervous? She said that? Jokingly I hope?

Sorry, she said "worrying" not nervous. This is according to Matt Cronin's twitter. http://twitter.com/TennisReporters

"Navratilova says Serena (12 slams) has a shot at tying she and Chris Evert at 18, but "I won't start worrying til she gets to 17." "

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM

kim >>> zeusrena :spit:

Vikapower
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
kim >>> zeusrena :spit:
Are you shocked that Clijsters is a more athelic and physically fit player than Serena :confused: It's sad that she's so overrated and it will reach at a stage where even Wozniacki would be considered slower than Serena and Jelena's defensive skills would be underrated for Serena's rare gets. :rolleyes:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 3rd, 2010, 05:00 AM
have you ever seen serena at her peak or do you just not like her so much that you don't even care?

hardly anyone could look at serena at her peak in 2002/2003 and think kim is even comparable to that :lol:

omoruyi
Jul 3rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
^ i think both kim & venus are comparable actually, but serena takes the cake. If [skill + athleticism = talent] is the equation, she has the greatest combo ever, just look at her serve...Serena is way ahead of her time.

Lilowannabe
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
my view on this is that while serena wont be considered the greatest by most (steffi takes its for me) she will, im certain, be grouped with evert, navratilova and court when all is sed and done!

Her numbers wont be as impressive, i believe she'll likely end up with 16 slams, but her status alone as the greatest player of this generation, greatest server EVER and (in my opinion) most devastating ball striker at her best will give her the edge!
I mean even Evert was talking about her place in history as one of the greats back in 06, when she was still on 7 slams! thats gotta say something!

Calypso
Jul 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM

This.

At her absolute ace-blasting, winner-thumping, Rena Fierce best, Serena would beat everyone on that list most of the time on all surfaces apart from clay.

But in terms of achievements needed to be GOAT, she still has a lot of work to do. But what a career she's had! I hope she can at least match Navra and Chrissie's 18 GS by the time she's done:D.

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Keep climbing, keep climbing!!

Thkmra
Jul 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
To hell with whateverone else says, though ommitting Graf was certainly a :help:
Bar none, Serena is the GOAT!!