PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon SF: Vera Zvonareva overcomes Tsvetana Pironkova, 3-6 6-3 6-2: CONGRATS !!!!

Steff_forever
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
BIG CONGRATULATIONS VERA FOR YOUR FIRST GRAND SLAM FINAL !

never thought you'd come back after the 1st set demolition... :worship:

FedererBulgaria
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Thank u for all Tsveti...I loveee uuuuuuuuu this was like a dream i hope U will keep this form BABY

Sean.
Looked shaky in the 3rd set, but closed it out strongly. :D

Good play from her in the 2nd and held it together mentally. :woohoo:

Great tournament from Tsveti.

Shinjiro
Well done Vera! Just one more win, please. :hearts:

Lucemferre
Vera :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Melange
Win it all :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
omg Bepa in GS final :woohoo: :D :hearts:
and back in top 10 :D

mckyle.
Bleh. Pironkova really stunk it up. Going back to challengers now.

Roookie
Boring as hell but congrats Vera :yeah:...Pironkova is just not that good.

RenaSlam.
Expected result after beating a Williams.

:rolls: to all those that thought Pironkova would steamroll Vera. (Ludwig)

Saves the WTA. Serena needs to do the same.

Valanga
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Vera Vera :inlove:

WozLolz
Yay, Vera!!! :D:):D:):D:)

:yeah:!!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Bepa slowly got her game going today :) :D
2nd and 3rd sets were beautiful :)

Patrick345
BIG CONGRATULATIONS VERA FOR YOUR FIRST GRAND SLAM FINAL !

never thought you'd come back after the 1st set demolition... :worship:

Now go all Conchita on Williams. :p

darkangel23
Vera :worship::woohoo:

Scoreline 3-6, 6-3, 6-2

The Kaz
It was 3-6 6-3 6-2 ;)

Wiggly
Congrats! :worship:

Nice run for Pironkova as well!

Craig.
I was actually rooting for Pironkova :spit: Who's gonna go back to being a nobody now :o

WD Bepa.

Huntress55
Congrats Vera. Hope she wins the whole thing now! :)

Jorn
30th try and she's Into the GS Finale! :yeah:

Dawson.
Boring match, but the right result for the sake of womens tennis. Well done, Vera :yeah:

Serenus Christ

Good play from her in the 2nd. :woohoo:

still got the tickets for the final?!

gociku
Bepa :yippee::inlove:
Bepa please win the final and you're allowed to lose all other matches for the rest of your career :sobbing:

Carotastrophe
Bepa! :yeah: held Strong! :inlove: Win it all!

Juju Nostalgique
Win the title babe! :hearts: :inlove:

Keegan
Very happy for Vera. She's done so well to come back from Psycho Bepa in Charleston to Final Bepa at Wimbledon :D

LegionArgentina
Congrats Vera :yeah:
Pironkova should be sad in this moment but she would be proud because she had a great run in this Wimbledon :hug:
Nice match to watch for me.

DemWilliamsGulls
Pironkova had a nice little run, but no more upsets here....now I wait for Serena to see how she does ;)

tenn_ace
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Vera :bounce: :bigclap:

Well done :kiss:

goldenlox
You have to wonder how Venus couldnt do better against Pironkova. Vera was not playing well and still won going away

LudwigDvorak
Better quality than I expected. I predicted Pironkova in two. She really had the game to win this. So many GPs and BPs in the third, even the 2nd really.

:shrug:

VIKA?
Tsveti:hug:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
You have to wonder how Venus couldnt do better against Pironkova. Vera was not playing well and still won going away

Vera worked it out
Venus didnt

John.
So happy for Vera - Big congrats to her. And serving it out on her first atempt :worship:

Pironkova played a great first set, but kind of wilted after that. Great tournament for her, but I'll be very surprised if we see her at this stage in another GS

-NAJ-
Well done Vera!!!

Harju.
Well done Bepa! :worship:
Could have played better but still closed it out in the end.

PS : Her hitting partner is HOT. And so are most of the guys in her box.

Sexysova
great match, entertaining with a lot of great rallies and great winners! :cheer:

congrats Vera :yeah: :cheer:

great tournament Tsveti, keep improving :inlove: :hug: :cheer:

SVK
Thanks Tsveta for making my Wimbledon perfect:kiss:

And it could be more perfect if Vera will win it all:hearts:

At least General Messages are saved...I will not read another 150 stupid and pointless threads..oh wait...Kvitova still could win today

I don´t like these drama queens but I hope in US Open it will be the same...I´m already now looking forward for another "Don´t reach your first great result on Grandslam, or TF posters will make a massive suicide" mode:inlove:

Patrick345
Bepa :yippee::inlove:
Bepa please win the final and you're allowed to lose all other matches for the rest of your career :sobbing:

:lol::lol:

sammy01
Boring match, but the right result for the sake of womens tennis. Well done, Vera :yeah:

this. i didn't watch the 3rd set watching robson and moore instead :tape:

swim4life227
I think that was maybe one of the worst quality matches I've seen at a slam semi before. Especially with how much choking was going on between those players at the end of the 2nd set and during the third.

mdterp01
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM
Vera :banana: Wonderful match. You remained calm and imposed your game unlike Venus and took control in sets 2 and 3. Thats why its best of 3. What amazing composure. Your first final and its well earned. Good luck

Pironkova...amazing run but I think the expectations were a bit much today. Started out well but Vera, unlike Venus, figured out your style of play in time to turn things around. Good luck the rest of the year. :wavey:

WIMBLY2004
Well done Bepa, good luck in the final.

Caralenko
:worship: LICHNA.

Ballbasher
Tsveti :hug: Not much of a chance in Set 2 & 3! Vera played some good tennis there. But wonderful tournament. :inlove: :worship:
All the best in your first final Vera! Who would have thought it would come in Wimbledon? :D

Kworb
So happy for Vera :inlove:

fouc
kinda boring.

Libertango
:woohoo:

SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW! :D Congrats vera; you've overcome your mental demons in two matches now!

Tsveti :hug: You had an AMAZING experience; continue your much improved ( :eek: ) form.

Pops Maellard
Well done Vera. Best result that could've happened on this mess of a Wimbledon. :tape:

Saved the tour. :woohoo:

Valanga
Is Vera back to top ten?

poulao
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Tsvetana :hug: pleace, be back and all the best, you did well ;)

Vera :cheer:

edificio
Now go all Conchita on Williams. :p

Conchita. Ha ha. Yeah, that would be interesting, but...still a match to play. Could be Kvitova (hope not).

Great job, Vera, so nice to see her in a grand slam final, especially after her meltdown at USO09.

pedropt
First russian in a GS Final since Safina in 2009 FO.

Well done Vera! :)

mure
this. i didn't watch the 3rd set watching robson and moore instead :tape:

the match wasn't more boring than your constant bitching

LegionArgentina
Is Vera back to top ten?

Yes she will be 9th

M.P
Bepa :inlove:
good luck in the FINAL

swim4life227
Vera worked it out
Venus didnt

Correction: Vera was given errors, Venus was not.

Brena
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
VERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :bowdown::inlove::bowdown::inlove:
Pironkova played the first set really well, though. :eek::worship:

Vartan
Congratulations Vera!

tsveti_fan
Well Done, Tsveti! We All Love You And We All Believe In You! You Make Us Happy Now! Great Tournament For You!!!!

moby
Bad news: The final is going to be a blowout now. I felt that Pironkova might at least make it difficult for Serena in the final.

Good news: Radwanska out of the Top 10!

G&R
good match I enjoyed it and Vera played really well the lst two sets
Vera in Wimbly final :hearts: congrats!

Koon
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm just dead now.

I'm so fucking shit proud of you Vera, I'm just ..... :crying2: :sobbing: :bigcry:

gociku
Better quality than I expected. I predicted Pironkova in two. She really had the game to win this. So many GPs and BPs in the third, even the 2nd really.

:confused:
What do you mean by saying "many GPs and BPs in the third"?
From the 2nd set Bepa didn't face any BP until the game where she was down 15-40.
Also Tsveti didn't lose any game where she had GP.

homogenius
Vera was better in her previous matches but so great to see her keeping her nerves under control in big matches like this.What a change from the past !!
That being said, it took her 1 set and a half to finally understand that she had to stop playing directly to Tsveti's bh :o

Tsveti did play really well and smart in the first part of the match.She limited the vulnerability of her fh to the max and hit some great winners, but once Vera started to change her tactic, her level slowly dropped.Still she put up a good fight and had a great run here out of nowhere :worship:

Steff_forever
sorry folks, my emotions deleted my last brain cells,
I changed the result

Svetlana)))
:cheer: for Russia. Pironkova has got to be one of very few players who run around her forehand to hit her backhand. Her serve needs work and she needs to stop throwing in junk forehand slices. It's good once in a while but it gets predictable and ineffective.

sammy01
the match wasn't more boring than your constant bitching

when you have anything worthy to contribute do so, otherwise put me on ignore, like i turned over after the 2nd set. :wavey:

TheBoiledEgg
Vera got her to make errors which is she worked it out.

Patrick345
You cannot say Vera didn´t play well. She barely made any unforced or bad errors in the final two sets, sometimes with the backhand down the line, but only one DF (I think), and she played more aggressiev than usual and finished points well at the net. That was a very good performance from both. Pironkova played a near flawless first set, Zvonareva hung tough, took her first breakpoint and slowly turned it around. As Zvonareva got better, Pironkovas level dropped a bit, but that was certainly a better performance from both than say Jankovic at the French Open.

tennismaster8820
Congrats to Vera! :bounce: :yeah:
Being favorite to win and doing so was not easy!
Good luck in the final!

Tsveti started great but her level dropped considerably and there was no way back!
Still I am very happy for her that she finaly showed what great talent she always had, just needs to keep it up!

TS
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
I only started watching this in the 3rd set (thank you Aus TV, fuckers) and Pironkova certainly seemed to be playing like the 80th ranked player in the world. Well done on a brilliant fortnight though.

Vera :) She deserves a Slam final on her CV. Hopefully she can take the title too.

Jolene
Vera was killing it before that unfortunate injury fairly soon after (I think?) her strong run at the YEC in (I think!) 2008. It seemed so unfair for her to get injured just as her momentum was so strong, so it's unbelievable to see her in a Slam Final now. It doesn't even seem like she's been back that long, although I'm sure it's been longer than I realize. I don't think there's going to be any big surprises between Serena and Kvitova, and I don't have tons and tons of hope for her against Serena in a Final, but it would be really nice to see her win after her struggles to get that momentum back.

Caralenko
From the 2nd set Bepa didn't face any BP until the game where she was down 15-40.

Ludwig getting owned left and right :sobbing: Just stop while you're behind, boy.

Marionated
Pironkova came out firing with no inhibitions at the start. But then the errors started to come, and her forehand was dropping woefully short at times.

Vera played very well in the last 2 sets, punishing the Pironkova forehand, moving very well and, as usual, her net game was spot on. First slam final :yeah:

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
Vera was better in her previous matches but so great to see her keeping her nerves under control in big matches like this.What a change from the past !!
That being said, it took her 1 set and a half to finally understand that she had to stop playing directly to Tsveti's bh :o

Tsveti did play really well and smart in the first part of the match.She limited the vulnerability of her fh to the max and hit some great winners, but once Vera started to change her tactic, her level slowly dropped.Still she put up a good fight and had a great run here out of nowhere :worship:

this bout cover what i saw of the 1st two sets ;)

Libertango
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
I think that was maybe one of the worst quality matches I've seen at a slam semi before. Especially with how much choking was going on between those players at the end of the 2nd set and during the third.

You missed the classic that was Kuznetsova-Chakvetadze at the 07 USO?! :eek: Poor you. :hug:

Patrick345
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:06 PM
:cheer: for Russia. Pironkova has got to be one of very few players who run around her forehand to hit her backhand. Her serve needs work and she needs to stop throwing in junk forehand slices. It's good once in a while but it gets predictable and ineffective.

Her serve needs work? Are you serious. Unless you expect some John Isner type of serve, that thing looked plenty fine to me. :tape:

Talita Kumi
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:06 PM
Tsveti :sobbing:

steph1982
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
Tsvetana :hug:

SVK

Pironkova´s serve is actually maybe her one shot which doesn´t need work

klever58
:( I like Cinderella story, I wanna see Pironkova with Venus plate... so that is pity... but Bepa played so well, congrats :) I hope final will be competitive...

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:08 PM
First russian in a GS Final since Safina in 2009 FO.

Well done Vera! :)Kuznetsova was in that final too.
Dementieva had a match point to get there 1 year ago

swim4life227
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:08 PM
You missed the classic that was Kuznetsova-Chakvetadze at the 07 USO?! :eek: Poor you. :hug:

Hey, I said slam semis that I've seen. I didn't follow as much tennis outside the majority of Wimbledon and the other slam finals until 2008.

Pen Expers
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Good match, great win, YES YES YES VERA FINALLY A GS final.

Svetlana)))
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM
Her serve needs work? Are you serious. Unless you expect some John Isner type of serve, that thing looked plenty fine to me. :tape:

Pironkova´s serve is actually maybe her one shot which doesn´t need work

Yes, it's solid but there is little variation on it according to what I saw. If she wants to break the top 20 or 15 she needs to have more variety on it.

Valanga

Seriously I would love to see how horrible this is

Pen Expers
This one of the worst semis? Choking? There was no choking here, it was a great match, several great rallies, no mental breakdowns from either player. Big points played well.

Foot's Fingers

seems you have not seen epic match Anna vs Sveta on USO 2007

Imperfect Angel
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Bepa :cheer: :banana: Well done on your first slam final.:inlove:

Svetlana)))
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Seriously I would love to see how horrible this is

Trust me, even as a fan, that was close to unbearable. They both played like they were ranked 190283328071018327 in the world. Not a single ball was played in the court in the first set. :help:

Foot's Fingers
Congrats Vera!!!!

Nice recovery after first set

Was not even dreaming for sucvh Wimbly for Zvona after her loss to Rodionova in Paris

Vikapower
This one of the worst semis? Choking? There was no choking here, it was a great match, several great rallies, no mental breakdowns from either player. Big points played well.
Agree. Pironkova fought till the end but the Russian came up with the better. That was a correct match I wouldn't the best.

G&R
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM

This
not to mention Vera's net game she won many points there!

goldenlox
Congrats Vera!!!!

Nice recovery after first set

Was not even dreaming for sucvh Wimbly for Zvona after her loss to Rodionova in ParisThe whole year plus since she hurt her ankle on green clay was a mess.
But now she has these points for 12 months.

Where is Vera in the race to the YEC?

sky20748
WEll congrats Vera. Venus stepped aside so that you could finally get your big chance lol.just joking as I am a Venus fan but u know ur head held together for this match. Wimbledon and Vera, who would have thunk it.

pav
Very proud of Bepa, I was worried after the first set, Pironkova can play when she turns it on! Don't get the boring match bit:confused: I think it has something to do with if your fav. is playing or not, or perhaps the amount of loud scheeching and grunting to make the shots seem more dramatic:)

Patrick345
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Trust me, even as a fan, that was close to unbearable. They both played like they were ranked 190283328071018327 in the world. Not a single ball was played in the court in the first set. :help:

BS.

Valanga

Damn, is there anyway I could watch this whole match? youtube only got highlights and to be honest, the highlight is already bad enough

bandabou
Entertaining match...Pironkova's backhand is an absolute KILLER! Wow...took Vera a set to figure it out that NO shots to backhand..and she adapted unlike Vee. Congrats to Vera. Tough luck for Pironkova, but still good tourney!

Midnight_Robber
When I think of some of the genuinely great semis that have been played over the last decade at Wimbledon...:o So many damn short balls. :rolleyes: But Vera (unlike Venus :rolleyes: actually dealt to them.)

Credit to Vera for keeping her head, holding her never and being the better player of the two but that is not my idea of high quality match. But Vera really deserved to win that encounter so well done to her. Also liked some of her net-play tonight.

Yes, it's solid but there is little variation on it according to what I saw. If she wants to break the top 20 or 15 she needs to have more variety on it.

Totally agree. She just hits it in the same 2 spots over and over again. And her forehand? :tape:

Peplin
Nice, Vera! :worship:

Viktymise
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
There was some really good tennis played in the 1st 2 sets. What the hell are people smoking?

Bulgaria
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Tsveti made the tournament of her life so far. That two weeks were absolutely amazing as for her, for me and all the bulgarian fans of the tennis and not only. Despite the loss today she showed that the future is ahead of her. Zvonareva just managed to break Tsveti's game and made very few UE's, was very stable at every place on the court.

Bulgaria loves you Tsveti!!! I wish you all the best in the future and let's hope the tournaments like this will keep coming. Love you!!!

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Damn, is there anyway I could watch this whole match? youtube only got highlights and to be honest, the highlight is already bad enough

it wasn't that bad. sveta was crap 1st set, chak was solid. chak was 1-0 40-0 up 2nd set and mentlly collapsed. svet was playing ok after that and chak went walkabout.

Elwin.
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm so PROUD.
Well done Vera :inlove: :inlove:

saul1333
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
So happy Vera :sobbing:

Valanga
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Wait a minute :eek: Pironkova MIGHT be seeded for USO :eek: her projected ranking now is around 34-35. When would be the seeding deadline?

Svetlana)))
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
BS.

There's such a thing as exaggeration and yes even Sveta said it herself in the interview that she could hardly put a ball in the court.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
Wait a minute :eek: Pironkova MIGHT be seeded for USO :eek: her projected ranking now is around 34-35. When would be the seeding deadline?

:sad: WTA people are shocked that a wimbledon semi semi finalist might be seeded at the us open lol

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM

Pironkova did have GP in the 3rd set on her serve and she missed all her BPs.

Valanga
:sad: WTA people are shocked that a wimbledon semi semi finalist might be seeded at the us open lol

I thought she was ranked 100 or something, but :eek:

Kworb

She has nothing to defend, it's almost guaranteed that she will be seeded.

OneSlamWonder
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
Serena will crush her.

http://www.mhjequipment.com/img/crushed.jpg

Reptilia
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
woo go Vera.
Looking forward to a Vera Serena final

treufreund
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM

Correction: Vera played well enough to force errors. Venus was unable to do so. :)

thegreendestiny
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:28 PM
First weed out. Now Serena needs to remove the other one.

gociku
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Pironkova did have GP in the 3rd set on her serve and she missed all her BPs.

1 GP is not "many GPs" as you said :shrug:
Bepa also lost a game where she was up 15-40 on Pironkova's serve so it was even :shrug:
You can't accept the fact that you suck at predicting results, can you?
Truth hurts i guess:)

rrfnpump
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Vera is in a slam final!!! :eek: :worship:
I always believed she had that in her! AWESOME!

It seems like it really motivated her that her biggest bitch won a Slam. :angel:

Polikarpov
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Pironkova's forehand baffles me.

Belmont Lad
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Thank goodness Vera, disaster averted! I was a little worried after that first set! :scared: Well done to reach your first Slam final.:yeah:

pla
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:38 PM
I am so proud of Tzvetana. She played really well in this first set, she got scared after but also Vera played very, very well. I like what I saw and I am happy it wasn't a trashing in the SF :)

Good luck to Very, and I hope Tzvetana continues with this form as long as possible :)

#kArLoS#
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
wonderful,Bepa!She is also my first fave ever who goes to a GS final and isn´t called Justine :p :woohoo:

Also back in top-10! :banana:

Tsvetana played well,her serve was really working during set and half,but Vera was stronger.However,no doubt she is very proud and happy with herself with that semis :hug:

skanky~skanketta
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
I don't understand how people can call this a boring match! I thought it was pretty damn good! Lots of changes in pace from Tsvetana, and amazing touch at the net from Vera. Some killer backhands and pretty decent serving. Loved it!

CONGRATS VERA!!!

skanky~skanketta
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM
And who was that hunkalicious man in red on Vera's camp? :drool:

Libertango
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:59 PM
I don't understand how people can call this a boring match! I thought it was pretty damn good! Lots of changes in pace from Tsvetana, and amazing touch at the net from Vera. Some killer backhands and pretty decent serving. Loved it!

Tell me about it! People are also using the word "choke." I know that's a standard word for TF, but WHERE THE HELL WAS THE CHOKING?! :confused:

There were nervous moments - there were bound to be; Pironkova was totally unprepared for thiS stage really and Vera knew she'd never have a better chance; all things considered, I thought it was a good match.

The only :o :help: thing was Pironkova's pushy FH.

Mrs. Peel
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Congratulations Vera on your first GS final! She is such a good player, shame it hasn't happened sooner.

Typical that Pironkova wouldn't make it through.

Koon
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM

Her new BF :hearts:

Damn . He's hot !

skanky~skanketta
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
Tell me about it! People are also using the word "choke." I know that's a standard word for TF, but WHERE THE HELL WAS THE CHOKING?! :confused:

There were nervous moments - there were bound to be; Pironkova was totally unprepared for thiS stage really and Vera knew she'd never have a better chance; all things considered, I thought it was a good match.

The only :o :help: thing was Pironkova's pushy FH. Pushy as it was, it was at least it wasn't being directed down the middle the whole time. She moved it around quite a bit.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Her new BF :hearts:

Damn . He's hot !
Totally lush! :ride:

terceira
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Bepaaa ! :hearts::hearts: back to the top 10 ! :bounce:

shirley
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Congrats to Vera :)

shega
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM

The only :o :help: thing was Pironkova's pushy FH.

True this !
So many people here happy for Vera ! Girl couldn't have scored better, a Wimbly final and that handsome young man !:bounce:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
:bigclap::cheer::bigclap:

jefrilibra
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM
Im so happy for Vera!!! Finally a GS final!

it didnt look too good after the 1st set but she kept believing in her game and didnt choke!

Tsveti did well and should be proud of her GS SF debut!

JJ Expres
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM
vera:yeah:

Slutiana
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well done to Vera! :yeah: Very happy for.

Congrats to Tsveti too, a great tournament for her.

madmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Well done Vera:banana:Now take your well deserved slam

Task
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Vera!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

First slam final. It's been a long time coming.

Good luck in the final. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

DefyingGravity
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I hope Vera will give it a good go, and who knows. I won't be upset if Vera nabs her first Slam. Of course, at the Wimbledon second day next year, it would be kinda strange to see Vera open up play on Centre Court.

tterb
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Wow, Vera. :hearts: So glad she's made it this far! I'm loving the mental composure, as well. After so many instances of her head holding her back, this is wonderful to see.

Definitely a bit shocked that this breakthrough came at Wimbledon, and to have a chance against Serena she's really going to have to hit out in a way she only rarely does and keep following those shots into the net. Regardless of how the final turns out, this is an amazing achievement! :yeah:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Congrats to Vera and her long-suffering fans (except for that grouch pav :rolleyes:).:hug: if she were playing against anybody else tommorrow I would be cheering for her.

rucolo
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
YESSSSSSSS!

Great fight back, Vera!:D:woohoo:

Wimbledon Final!:bounce:

jonny84
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Great win for Vera...........Pironkova must be applauded for her efforts this year at Wimbledon, and a higher rank is her reward (not as much qualifying for her!).......but Vera :bigclap:

crazillo
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Nice match!

Ryan
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
I thought this was a great match. :eek: Vera was great at net, there were lots of long rallies, and Tsveti played really well for the most part.

vesanto
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Congrats Vera, this is for sure a very special moment for her, and a well-deserved one. Since Venus is out of competition, I am definitely rooting for you. Do your best and fight it out! :)

azmad_88
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
so happy!!!

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM

Good play from her in the 2nd and held it together mentally. :woohoo:

I bet you're sleeping with those tickets under your pillow tonight. :awww: :hug:

Derek.
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Thank goodness. :o

Good job, Vera! :yeah:

Would have been so embarrassing for women's tennis if Pironkova was in a GS F. :tape:

Sassy-Na
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:16 PM
tsvetana :hug:

and well done to vera.z :)

gmak
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
Bepa :woohoo: :yeah: :worship: :rocker:
this is so great :D

Wolkenvanger
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:49 PM
Wahoo, Vera in the Wimby final, congrats! :D

On a side note... I think her coach is hot!

AnDrEi.b
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Congrats Vera !

Marcelo.
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Wimbledon Final :sobbing: :inlove:

NeoZod19
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM
expected!! and hope she`ll beat Serena, I wish her nothing but the best!!

Yarden
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Yay!! I'm so happy for Vera :worship:
never thought she will make GS final after her injury, glad I was wrong :p

Win it please :yeah:

Calypso
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM
Congratulations Vera!
Nice fightback against a tricky opponent. May you enjoy your first GS final!

Kitten63
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Congrats,Vera :cheer:
Good luck in the finals!

Tsveti :hug:

KClijsters
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM
Congrats Vera!
You really deserves it!
Good win :)

TZVETI83
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Tzveti played a great set one, Vera only had like 3 unforced errors and Tzveti still won. However Tzveti's serve broke down in set 2 and with it so did her game. Vera started playing better and hitting to her forhand. Yzveti looked a bit tired in set three.(she is a vegetarian LOL). Vera deserved the win and I am happy for her. Tzveti has a great future, she will back this result up an prove her doubters wrong. She now has a lot more confidence, she will get some sponsors(she has money now which she can invest in her game), a better team, work on her game and come back stronger. She is a fighter and I am proud to be a fan. A lot of you do not know what she has had to go trough to get here. She has worked for years now, her father sold their properties so they could travel, she had to sleep in hostels, shelters, etc. for years now while on the road. Our federation never helped or supported her, she has always been in the background and now she is a Wimbledon semifinalist. Love you Tzveti!

cn ireland
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:25 PM
Congrats to Vera on making her 1st GS final:)!

Well done to Pironkova on a great tournament:yeah:

Shinjiro
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM
She has to improve that FH, other than that I like her game a lot.

pav
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
Congrats to Vera and her long-suffering fans (except for that grouch pav :rolleyes:).:hug: if she were playing against anybody else tommorrow I would be cheering for her.
Hey, I'm not f*ckin grouchy, you #%$^$%!!, I'm in a happy mood so can't be too abusive:):fiery:

wally1
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
great match, entertaining with a lot of great rallies and great winners! :cheer:

congrats Vera :yeah: :cheer:

great tournament Tsveti, keep improving :inlove: :hug: :cheer:Agree with all of this, I enjoyed the match a lot.

So many posters here just enjoy being so fucking negative about everything, it's sad.

GoldenGophers
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
So amazing Vera! Hope she wins it all!

Wintermute
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM
:bounce: Very pleased with this win for Vera.

Six Feet Under
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Vera YAY!
Great closing out you did really well!
The after match interview :inlove:

Tsveti, still an amazing tournament for you :hug:

RandomShot
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
Well done Vera :yeah:

Tsveti... great tournament :yeah:

cogent53
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:04 PM
Glad to see Vera playing well. Was it the year end champs 2 years ago when she got the finals (losing to Venus I think?) I remember thinking what a complete, compact game she had in amongst the insane nutty moments. What I've been so impressed with in her last 2 matches was her mental attitude. Even when she was down or made a mistake, we didn't get the burst-into-tears face. She looked calm and composed. Of course if she's getting walloped by Serena in the final she might look a bit less calm!

Not sure what Vera's record is against Serena, but she has a small chance of winning (very small though, surely!)
As for today, I thought it was an entertaining if not thrilling match. Pironkova is quite fun to watch, and I hope she can build on her run here. Vera's movement and court coverage was good, but she'll need a good first serve percentage on Saturday.

P_Fer
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Tsveti :sad:
Amazing amazing amazing amazing tournament though! :worship: SO PROUD OF YOU! :yeah:
Keep this relaxed and confident play beyond this tournament! :D

Congrats Vera, good luck in the final! :)

égalité
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:08 AM
YES! Tears of joy :hysteric:

Ferg
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Finally she gets it, and no-one can begrudge her this.

spec7er
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
I don't get where people are coming from when they say this was a crap match. :weirdo:

I thought it was a pretty entertaining match. The 1st set had Pironkova mixing up the spin, pace, and depth, which must've frustrated Zvonareva. It took her a while to find the winning game plan, and wait for Pironkova's serve to level a bit. I think that Pironkova defended well with that FH looper and slider. It just got broken down by Vera, who upped her game in the 2nd set (and never looked back). She hit deeper and dictated play more. I'm really impressed by Vera's calm demeanour and her ability to get back into the match. :eek: :yeah:

Sean.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:28 AM

Sergey Demekhine, her hitting partner & childhood friend.

She won the Russian National Mixed Doubles with him too when they were kids.

AnomyBC
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for Vera!!! Finally a slam final!!! :worship:

And great performance from Pironkova this tournament too. I certainly never saw THIS coming :eek::worship:

claypova
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:51 AM
vera in the final? :eek:

so unexpecting. hjope she puts in a good performance for the finals

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
:yeah: GL in the finals Vera Z ! :bounce:

StephenUK
Jul 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
I watched the second set and thought it was superb quality tennis. Vera really started to improve as the set went on after Tsvetana's great start but it could have gone either way in the third but the momentum stayed with Vera. Vera has done brilliantly to get to the final and I wish her the best of luck there.

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I don't get where people are coming from when they say this was a crap match. :weirdo:

I thought that it was quite good. Few silly errors, few signs of nerves, both playing their very best or near to it, very good quality overall + some dazzling stuff.

Pironkova played near flawless in the 1st set - I don't think she missed a single BH (evidence yet again that Zvonareva's smooth but somewhat generic game always brings out the best in her opponents) up until early in the 2nd set. Served huge, hit some colossal BHs (it's amazing how early and low she can take the ball with her BH; her BH swing is so quick and compact, and she gets excellent racquethead speed on that side), and used her BH the way a FH only ATP player would use his FH. But she couldn't keep it up (even though the crowd was clearly and enthusiastically on her side - Zvonareva doesn't get enough crowd love for someone who plays a game that is so smooth and pleasant to watch IMO), and in the last two sets needless errors began to creep in while Zvonareva began to return her serve more effectively.

Zvonareva was a bit too passive in the beginning IMO, but also won a number of important points by going to the net or playing a bit more aggressively than she usually does. Her ground game isn't as spectacular as Pironkova's can be, but is also much more reliable. She couldn't punish Pironkova's loopy FHs into her BH corner because her BH DTL wasn't working (at all), but she attacked a number of those loopy CC BHs by going DTL with her FH to good effect and then rushing the net to put away Pironkova's ensuing floater.

Pops Maellard
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
I thought that it was quite good. Few silly errors, few signs of nerves, both playing their very best or near to it, very good quality overall + some dazzling stuff.

Pironkova played near flawless in the 1st set - I don't think she missed a single BH (evidence yet again that Zvonareva's smooth but somewhat generic game always brings out the best in her opponents) up until early in the 2nd set. Served huge, hit some colossal BHs (it's amazing how early and low she can take the ball with her BH; her BH swing is so quick and compact, and she gets excellent racquethead speed on that side), and used her BH the way a FH only ATP player would use his FH. But she couldn't keep it up (even though the crowd was clearly and enthusiastically on her side - Zvonareva doesn't get enough crowd love for someone who plays a game that is so smooth and pleasant to watch IMO), and in the last two sets needless errors began to creep in while Zvonareva began to return her serve more effectively.

Zvonareva was a bit too passive in the beginning IMO, but also won a number of important points by going to the net or playing a bit more aggressively than she usually does. Her ground game isn't as spectacular as Pironkova's can be, but is also much more reliable. She couldn't punish Pironkova's loopy FHs into her BH corner because her BH DTL wasn't working (at all), but she attacked a number of those loopy CC BHs by going DTL with her FH to good effect and then rushing the net to put away Pironkova's ensuing floater.
So do you think Pironkova will be able to keep up these results or as per norm go back to mediocrity?

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
So do you think Pironkova will be able to keep up these results or as per norm go back to mediocrity?

I don't know but I believe she won't relapse back into #80-120 suckitude. There have been some real improvements to her game this season - namely serve speed, which is now very near the top of the WTA.

Grass magnifies a number of her main strengths- her rocket (185-195 km/h) 1st serve, her ultraflat BH, her unusual build (long torso + relatively short legs) that means she has a lower centre of gravity than you'd expect from such a tall player (very useful to deal with the low bounce on grass) - and even some of her weaknesses - her junk FH can draw errors out of brainless, clumsy players on grass.

So my guess is that she'll remain in the top 40 for a while. But consistently reaching GS SFs? I wouldn't put money on it.

Viktymise
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM

Exactly how I seen it. Tsveti couldn't have played any better in that 1st set and then her level dropped. This could have been the match of the year and people would have said it was shit simply because Pironkova contested it. I mean, considering the amount of absolute flop semi-finals and finals we've had in the past few years involving supposed "stars" of the WTA, this was a breath of fresh air.

Also re: Zvonareva apparently saving the WTA, contrary to popular belief on this forum, there would have been the same amount of people watching this match had it been contested by Zvonareva and Jankovic, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Safina, Stosur etc. None of those players are "stars". None of those players can "save" the WTA. Casual tournament goers and viewers are hardly going to go out of their way to watch any of those players. There would have been the same amount of people watching the final had it been Pironkova v Serena, and if anything, Pironkova making the final would have given the WTA a lot more publicity. So no, Zvonareva didn't "save" the WTA.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
I don't know but I believe she won't relapse back into #80-120 suckitude. There have been some real improvements to her game this season - namely serve speed, which is now very near the top of the WTA.

Grass magnifies a number of her main strengths- her rocket (185-195 km/h) 1st serve, her ultraflat BH, her unusual build (long torso + relatively short legs) that means she has a lower centre of gravity than you'd expect from such a tall player (very useful to deal with the low bounce on grass) - and even some of her weaknesses - her junk FH can draw errors out of brainless, clumsy players on grass.

So my guess is that she'll remain in the top 40 for a while. But consistently reaching GS SFs? I wouldn't put money on it.

Her junk FH, as you put it, can draw errors out of 5 time Wimbledon champions like Venus Williams and former Wimbledon finalists like Marion Bartoli too. On grass it is very effective.