PDA

View Full Version : When and how did Pironkova's serve become so improved?

Leo_DFP
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
I remember very well watching Pironkova upset Venus Williams in the first round of the 2006 AO. Back then she was not smacking first serves as big as she is in 2010. I enjoy her service motion: tosses, waits, then pounces, jumping into the court and achieving great wrist snap. Her timing is very good. But I never expected Pironkova to be smacking serves around 116 MPH at Wimbledon!

Anyone know anything about her coaching, training, and progress in her game over these last few years? It's rare to see a female player create a weapon out of the serve when it was previously just a mediocre shot.

eck
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I thought so too...I distinctly remember her serve to be puff balls when she played JuJu in 07 ish....
And when she played Venus in AO...

It seems so much stronger now.
I think it gave Justine tons of problems in RG.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:16 PM
Pironkova was always capable of smacking the random serve at this pace. She hadn't ever serve this big consistently though.

Corswandt
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM
When and how did Pironkova's serve become so improved?

Dunno. The first time I noticed it was during her Warsaw run this year.

In 2006-2007, she had this wonky service motion in which she did a little hop to reach the ball. Now it's smoother.

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
I really like her current service motion, kinda ATP-ish. She gets decent amount of free points from her first serve, but her second serve is suspect. Short and has nothing on it.

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
i don't think theres muchh difference i just think she has got on a roll, got some confidence and it is amazing what that will do for a player.

the service motion still looks horrible to me and the 2nd serve is :help: but when she nails the 1st serve it is mightly effective.

Привет
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:53 AM
It's a lot less ugly than it used to be, that's for sure. I remember being disgusted by it years ago, but now it's much more pleasing to the eye.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
i don't think theres muchh difference i just think she has got on a roll, got some confidence and it is amazing what that will do for a player.

the service motion still looks horrible to me and the 2nd serve is :help: but when she nails the 1st serve it is mightly effective.

Even her 2nd serve has gotten faster. Her 2nd serve used to be like low 70 MPH sometimes in the 60s. In the SF she was hitting them in the 80s and a couple in the low 90s.

sammy01
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Even her 2nd serve has gotten faster. Her 2nd serve used to be like low 70 MPH sometimes in the 60s. In the SF she was hitting them in the 80s and a couple in the low 90s.

but it is surely just confidence, venus hit a 66mph 2nd serve on mp to pironkova, as her confidence was shot from playing so bad.

the problem with pironkova's serve much like 95% of all other WTA players is she has 2 serves, flat or slice. now if either goes off there is nothing to rely on, but if both are working it will be hard to return. thats why one day 'x' WTA player serves really well then the same 'x' player stinks up the joint on serve the next day.

SVK
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
It's not just this year, she is already some years very often between the TOP servers in Grandslams but dunno when it begins...definitely not just this year

Polikarpov
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM

Really? Not even Wingis level.:spit:

HippityHop
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Wait a minute. Isn't a good serve a bad thing now? What gives? :confused:

Josh.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
She has a fantastic throwing action as a serve. Simple. However, besides her bomb first serves, she can't really hit much else then a slice second.