PDA

View Full Version : Wtf? No LA but San Diego is back instead?

doujyr
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:27 PM
FFS I just noticed this. Can't they make their mainds up? :lol:

edificio
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I think people complained when they killed San Diego, so....:confused:

Smoothstuff
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:50 PM
San Diego>>>>>>>>>LA

DeliriousPotato
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Ohhhh :( L.A. was so coooool.
But I prefered the Acura Classic, so anyways :P

G-Ha
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
San Diego was always a favorite tournament stop of the players and always had packed stands. Many tournaments seem to have problems filling seats these days, but that was never an issue with the San Diego tournament. I attended several times, so definitely glad it's back!

Sammo
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:07 AM
I liked the LA Stadium but San Diego's tennis club/spa is much better

Uranus
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:08 AM
San Diego is a much better tournament. Shouldn't have been removed. Ever. Glad it's back.

iGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:26 AM
I liked the LA Stadium but San Diego's tennis club/spa is much better
It's a different tournament now. LA has moved to San Diego, this is not a return of the Acura Classic, so everything will be different still :sad:.

ptkten
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:31 AM
It's a different tournament now. LA has moved to San Diego, this is not a return of the Acura Classic, so everything will be different still :sad:.

But the San Diego event will still held at La Costa resort and spa so it basically is the same event. Who cares what the main sponsor is?

G-Ha
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:32 AM

How much do you think will be different? It's obviously a different sponsor (Mercury Ins.) and it's under new management, but apparently Raquel Giscafre (the original event owner) is staying on as tournament director. I'm hoping too much won't change...

kris719
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:36 AM
San Diego was always better than LA. better venue, more fans, better liked by the players.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:41 AM
San Diego was definitely more liked by the players. Better stadium, the Spa, better atmosphere.

Vincey!
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:04 AM
San Diego>>>>>>>>>LA

This :worship:

plus extra >>>>>>>'s :p

zvonarevarulz
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:02 AM
San Diego:inlove:

iGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:04 AM
Oh I didn't know it has the same venue and director. Well :woohoo: then!

Sp!ffy
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:05 AM
IKR????

So disappointing. I remember going to a few of Sharapova's night matches, then going out to the city and eating out after.....LA is my backyard and San Diego is too far :hysteric:

Roookie
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
yes..and JJ is playing :bounce:

fantic
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
IKR????

So disappointing. I remember going to a few of Sharapova's night matches, then going out to the city and eating out after.....LA is my backyard and San Diego is too far :hysteric:

same here :bigcry:

njnetswill
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
I love this tournament! It's so easy to get close to the players. I had an entire conversation with Rainer Hoffman! :worship: :lol:

Leo_DFP
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
The UCLA Stadium was too big anyway. Impossible to fill it with tennis fans. San Diego is a wonderful, wonderful venue with a great main court. Always full, and some great matches there over the years. Will miss the big Acura in the distance, but still nice to see a pro event return to La Costa.

faboozadoo15
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:46 PM
I think this is a good move.

Atrixo
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:55 PM
They never should've got rid of San Diego, anyway. It was one of the WTA's best tournaments.

It would've been nice if they could've kept Los Angeles as well, and tried to improve it. Oh well!

makirilenko
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:01 PM
San Diego is so much nicer than Los Angeles, though technically the tournament is in Carlsbad (30 miles north of San Diego), it is still a much nicer area for tennis. Hopefully, I can make it there.

Drake1980
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
San Diego Tournament is so awesome! Glad it's back! :D

keithb1961
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:02 PM
Isnt La Costa resort and spa actually in Carlsbad?

G-Ha
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Isnt La Costa resort and spa actually in Carlsbad?

Yes. And Carlsbad is part of San Diego county.

Cakeisgood
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Maria kicks ass at that tournament :)

Anna F'd Enrique
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:19 AM
Maria is not playing this year^^^^ :sad:

In fact, the entry list is not that great.

kris719
Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
Maria kicks ass at that tournament :)

she's not playing. pisses me off :(

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:09 AM
Venus used to be the queen of San Diego back in the day. I've been to both venues and although LA used to be a lot more convenient for me, San Diego was so much better.

The event in LA used to take place in Manhattan Beach- I believe the last year that they played it there was the year that Chanda Rubin beat Lindsay Davenport in the final. After that the event relocated to Carson. Manhattan Beach was a smaller venue, but it was in a place where tennis was appreciated. Carson had some pluses too, but if Serena and Venus weren't playing all the pluses (and that crowd for that matter,) went away. Over the last five years the tournamenet has struggled with crowds. So I think the move's a good one.

pearl.
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
Good news, I liked the San Diego tournament very much. Los Angeles felt too much like lower tier US Open.

tommyk75
Jul 2nd, 2010, 01:42 AM
Sad. I have great memories of attending the event at both Manhattan Beach and Carson (btw, the stadium was NOT at UCLA; it was at Cal State-Dominguez Hills). Like another poster mentioned, the crowds went way down when the Williams sisters didn't play. It's too bad, because one year when they (or maybe it was just Serena) did play, the event had the biggest attendance of any event in L.A. tennis history (including the men's UCLA event).

cellophane
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
San Diego rules!!! :inlove: so glad it's back!

Leo_DFP
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Venus used to be the queen of San Diego back in the day. I've been to both venues and although LA used to be a lot more convenient for me, San Diego was so much better.

The event in LA used to take place in Manhattan Beach- I believe the last year that they played it there was the year that Chanda Rubin beat Lindsay Davenport in the final. After that the event relocated to Carson. Manhattan Beach was a smaller venue, but it was in a place where tennis was appreciated. Carson had some pluses too, but if Serena and Venus weren't playing all the pluses (and that crowd for that matter,) went away. Over the last five years the tournamenet has struggled with crowds. So I think the move's a good one.

This.

I remember that '02 final so well between Rubin and Davenport. I was crushed for Lindsay at the time. But Manhattan Beach was a much more intimate venue with more consistent crowds. Carson just wasn't the place for it. And it was unpleasant to watch the tennis there, IMO, except for some exciting night matches featuring Serena. I remember the 2004 tournament was definitely the best installment of LA at the Carson venue, with Serena overcoming Zvonareva and Dementieva in consecutive dramatic night matches before falling to a clean and perfect Davenport in the final. The year of Dementieva beating Jankovic was also pretty good - awesome final!

But welcome back to San Diego. Srsly.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
IKR????

same here :bigcry:

and no us flag by ur screen names xD

fantic
Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
^ Well I am currently living in LA area ;)