PDA

View Full Version : Pironkova and Kvitova in Wimbledon semis...WTA has hit rock bottom

Roookie
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
:tape::help::sobbing:

Beat
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM
and the fantastic threads keep coming like noah's flood.

Wiggly
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Well, Kvitova has so much game, it was just a matter of consistency.

As for Pironkova, it's a REAL surprise as she's been an average journeywoman for quite some years and is barely making QFs in MM events.

Jankarenka
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
It shows depth people.... depth

Jorn
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
When you beat a more times Wimbledon winner you deserve to be in SF... and Kvitova beat Caro :sad:

They just replaced Seeds 2 and 3.

Atrixo
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Get over it! I'm so sick of all these whiners. In the ATP, these people would call this "depth". But no, for the WTA these hypocrites decree that the tour is in danger of extinction. Get a freaking life! :mad:

Libertango
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:23 PM
What a refreshing, informative and original thread. :woohoo:

Rome
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Get over it! I'm so sick of all these whiners. In the ATP, these people would call this "depth". But no, for the WTA these hypocrites decree that the tour is in danger of extinction. Get a freaking life! :mad:

I guess you have not watch any of the ATP matches when Fed has been playing? There blameing Feds poor play on him not Berdych taking it to him. They root for Fed all match in the booth.

slamchamp
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I would have never thought soemone would create a thread like this!:eek:

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Nope. The WTA hit rock bottom on March 22nd 2010.

Stop taking jabs at these players. If they can consistently play at this level in the coming weeks, then it's a good thing for the WTA.

dsanders06
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Stop taking jabs at these players. If they can consistently play at this level in the coming weeks, then it's a good thing for the WTA.

But we know they won't, with the possible exception of Zvonareva.

The WTA is curretly basically a magnified version of Nicole Vaidisova's career. Just when you think it can't possibly sink any lower, it does :tape:

Vulturepova
Did the world end when Lucic and Stevenson reached the semis in 1999?

People seem to think everything is a new low on the tour when in reality it has all happened so many times before. Title winners from nowhere, random slam semifinalists, its not new and it does not mean the end of the WTA.

Also, Kvitova is a huge upcoming talent and Tsveti has been wasting her potential for years ;)

Mistress of Evil

The thread is hilatious and I would not have bothered to comment.:bounce:
But I hope this is sarcasm cuz WTA has many things:rolleyes: but depth really :help:

iPatty
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Maybe you should stop following it then. :shrug:

Sp!ffy
I actually think Kvitova deserves it. I havent seen Pironkova play yet but seeing that she beat the unbeatable Vee "Queen" Williams, I guess she deserves it.

dsanders06

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one-off. But the fact is that this is the second consecutive Slam where it's completely fallen apart at the latter stages. If the women's Slams become total crapshoots, it's going to be terrible for the future of the sport.

manu32
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:48 PM
But Kvitova's noise is the worst ever in Wta's history,please umpires ....it's really disturbing and kanepi is a better player by far but that and the behavior were too much...

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM

People seem to think everything is a new low on the tour when in reality it has all happened so many times before. Title winners from nowhere, random slam semifinalists, its not new and it does not mean the end of the WTA.

Also, Kvitova is a huge upcoming talent and Tsveti has been wasting her potential for years ;)

Very good post. :yeah:

HippityHop
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM
It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one-off. But the fact is that this is the second consecutive Slam where it's completely fallen apart at the latter stages. If the women's Slams become total crapshoots, it's going to be terrible for the future of the sport.

Well get used to it because when Venus and Serena retire, every slam will be a crapshoot.

Ferg
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Wah wah wah, keep on crying you baby.

davidmario
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:02 PM
For me the WTA hit rock bottom last year at the USO when a girl that is not able to hit winners made a GS final.
Seeing a "nobody" like Kvitova crush her in 45mins at this year's wimbledon proved me in thinking wta is on a healthy way again:wavey:

Viktymise
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The WTA is in a transitional period. For the first time it no longer has a stable group of elite players and this is something which we aren't used to seeing. Currently there is only one elite player, and she's the only one who can be relied upon to consistently make a deep run into slam latter rounds.

Mid-ranked players are better than ever and top players are much more at risk of being upset than ever before.

This trend of random slam semi finalists, and perhaps finalists will continue on for the foreseeable future, I feel so people should just get used to it. Schiavone's win was of course a huge slice of luck, but I think there's a very real chance that we may see another WTF? slam champ in another year or 2 time. Whether you like it or not will probably depend on whether you like the players making these shock runs or not.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Kim has a child. Justine took a year off. Venus is 30. Sharapova had a major injury to her serving shoulder.
And Serena isnt getting any younger.

Get used to this. Unless some young phenom comes up, this is the future. Whoever is in a zone is taking it home

bbjpa
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Well get used to it because when Venus and Serena retire, every slam will be a crapshoot.

I like those posts saying there's only two women in the world who can play tennis :lol:

Tennis is like life , nobody is irreplaceable. When the Williams retire youngsters players will take their place like Venus take the place of Steffi Graf per exemple :rolleyes: it's always been like that since several generations :angel: and in every sport.

jimbo mack
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I usually wouldn't mind lower ranked players having a break through now and then but it's been happening so much recently...martinez sanchez in rome, rezai in madrid, schiavone at the french, makarova at eastbourne and kvitova and pironkova here. The problem I have with this fact is none of them support their results and have all achieved nothing since...i'm sure it will be the same for kvitova and pironkova. If they could all continue their 'championship' form into the following events it would make for much more exciting rivalries and more significant match ups would be developed.

Wimbledon 1999 is a poor example as that represented one tournament during that whole summer. This heap of a mess has been going on since rome 2010!

Hopefully Serena and Vera can restore order tomorrow by winning their semi-finals as this is not good for women's tennis

mboyle
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM
When something about half this bad happened to the ATP in the early 2000s, I called it out for what it was: lack of prodigious talent at the top. The WTA has Serena Williams, of course, but that's it, and Serena hasn't always been at her best outside of the slams. Sharapova hasn't beaten a top 40 opponent all year, apparently (much as I love her). That's pathetic. Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters aren't what they used to be, Venus hasn't really been consistent since 2002, and no one else has done enough for a sustained enough period of time to even warrant mention.

Arkanum
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM

At least we don't have to listen to their stupid screaming every single time they hit the ball :)

Arkanum
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM
But Kvitova's noise is the worst ever in Wta's history,please umpires ....it's really disturbing and kanepi is a better player by far but that and the behavior were too much...

That is totally wrong - Venus, Serena, Sharapova are the loudest players on the WTA.

VS Fan
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
To thread starter:
Want to go back to Steffi-Monica, Chrissy-Martina or even Venus-Serena ALL THE TIME?? Players break through occasionally and it makes the sport more interesting.
Even though she lost to Venus, I think that Jarmila Groth is a future star for the slams. Give her a few years.

Otlichno
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I feel so sorry for people who keep on complaining about the "absolutely horrid state of the WTA!!!111", there so fucking pathetic. :awww:

Rafa_thebest
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:46 PM
i think is AMAZING that young talented girls get to the semis of majors and start making noise! new blood is always welcome! the problem is They just do it ONCE or FOR A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME and then they disappear. Everytime i get excited about a new player! she starts winning but suddenly everything falls apart! vaidisova, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic, Azarenka is starting to take that path too (i hope she starts winning again) etc etc! WTF! we need women that can handle the pressure once they become top ten players!

erschloy214
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
i think is AMAZING that young talented girls get to the semis of majors and start making noise! new blood is always welcome! the problem is They just do it ONCE or FOR A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME and then they disappear. Everytime i get excited about a new player! she starts winning but suddenly everything falls apart! vaidisova, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic, Azarenka is starting to take that path too (i hope she starts winning again) etc etc! WTF! we need women that can handle the pressure once they become top ten players!

I definitely agree with you!!!

Super Dave
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Two schools of thought... So many people want the same powerhouses to dominate every sport, whether it's college football, baseball, whatever...and they bemoan "parity" where you never know who's going to end up on top. I like the fact that it's wide open and anyone can win. Serena most likely will, but it's good to see new names.

Joe.
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM
LOL @ people saying that Tsveti doesn't deserve a Wimbledon SF after beating a 5 time champion. :spit:

tobe
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:50 PM
:worship: I guess it s hard to stay motivated if you are already rich and famous after a short time!

hurricanejeanne
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I love that some people think that this is the first time we've had a couple of random ass slams before. :p

Rafa_thebest
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM
:worship: I guess it s hard to stay motivated if you are already rich and famous after a short time!

LOL! well if they win slams and stay in the top 10! they can get even richier and more famous! ;):p

tonybotz
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I love that some people think that this is the first time we've had a couple of random ass slams before. :p

its been a pretty random ass few years. women winning, then plummeting, its like a complete bi-polar tour right now with no consistency.

MegaDethly
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM

The confusion we the fans all have over whether turn-outs like this show the depth of the tour or simply the abysmal play of the "top players" would be cleared if the women played best of five set matches at the slams, and we got a real sense at where the tennis of these women is at.

Just do it.

Julian.
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Why nobody said ATP hit rock bottom when unseeded random Baghdatis and Tsonga reached the Australian Open finals?

The Dawntreader
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Why nobody said ATP hit rock bottom when unseeded random Baghdatis and Tsonga reached the Australian Open finals?

Because the ATP is held in such ridiculous esteem nowadays, just to spite the WTA:p

Break My Rapture
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Vika defeated 2 top 10 players in straight sets just 2 weeks ago. I don't think it's fair to say that.

Rafa_thebest
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Vika defeated 2 top 10 players in straight sets just 2 weeks ago. I don't think it's fair to say that.

don't get me wrong! i'm not dissing her! i like her A LOT! but she was getting bad results! she showed some form in the grass court season! i hope she'll do it even better in the us open series!

Dave B
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:00 PM
The WTA is past its peak and will never win a grand slam.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Two schools of thought... So many people want the same powerhouses to dominate every sport, whether it's college football, baseball, whatever...and they bemoan "parity" where you never know who's going to end up on top. I like the fact that it's wide open and anyone can win. Serena most likely will, but it's good to see new names.

Totally agree!!!

Jakeev
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Hey going even back further. 1983 the semifinalists to Martina Navratilova and Andrea Jaeger were Yvonne Vermaak and wayyyyyyyy past her prime Billie Jean King.....Don't remember people crying foul that year.

Break My Rapture
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
don't get me wrong! i'm not dissing her! i like her A LOT! but she was getting bad results! she showed some form in the grass court season! i hope she'll do it even better in the us open series!
Her only bad results this year were IW/Miami and the clay season (and now lost in Wimbledon to in-form Kvitova). She indeed was playing a lot worse in IW/Miami than in Dubai and she was injured the entire clay season. :shrug:
I think she'll do well in the US Open series, has almost nothing to defend there. :)

Lindsayfan32
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Why when someone new makes the later stages of a slam someone start a thread like this? If you think the WTA has hit rock bottom because of it you have a serious odd view of the tour.

New players putting up their hands at slams is good for the game. The domination of player is really bad and that mean the tour has hit rock bottom as there is no new talent coming up to challenge the old guard. It's great to see the new players coming through.

edificio
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:01 PM
and the fantastic threads keep coming like noah's flood.

Yep. Seems as though people don't understand that sport is not always predictable.

At least we don't have to listen to their stupid screaming every single time they hit the ball :)

I guess your ears don't work when other players grunt loudly, especially one named Kvitova.

Sammy Stones
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:07 PM
hard to believe there's time to open more threads like these with all the agreeing with each other and patting yourselves in the back.

DeliriousPotato
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I understand the thread-maker.
If you smell a Williams falling at Wimbledon, it's like the Knights of the Apocalypse are unleashing their omens of death and the end of the world.
IF VENUS IS DOWN, THEN THE SUN WILL EXPLODE AND ALL LIFE AS WE KNOW IT WILL END.

But I still like the WTA
Kiss kiss

edificio
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I understand the thread-maker.
If you smell a Williams falling at Wimbledon, it's like the Knights of the Apocalypse are unleashing their omens of death and the end of the world.
IF VENUS IS DOWN, THEN THE SUN WILL EXPLODE AND ALL LIFE AS WE KNOW IT WILL END.

But I still like the WTA
Kiss kiss

I don't think the thread opener is a Williams sisters fan. You also seem to be exaggerating, though.

tennisforadults
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Thank you. It's happened before and it will happen again.

Get over it! I think it is TF who has hit rock bottom. Thread starters have truly run out of original things to say. :o

DeliriousPotato
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I don't think the thread opener is a Williams sisters fan. You also seem to be exaggerating, though.

I was just kidding.
Jeez :ras:

FedererBulgaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Love UUUUUUUU Tsveti..thank u for all....make a final for us,your fans,not for haters

danieln1
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
blah blah blah... next

Slutati
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you. It's happened before and it will happen again.

Is that you, Martina? :speakles:

Dominic
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:33 AM

:lol: sure.

dsanders06
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Hey going even back further. 1983 the semifinalists to Martina Navratilova and Andrea Jaeger were Yvonne Vermaak and wayyyyyyyy past her prime Billie Jean King.....Don't remember people crying foul that year.

For the last time, it's not just the fact that unknowns have made a run at this one Slam that people are complaining about. The main complaints are that (a) this is the SECOND Slam within a month where this has happened, and (b) Pironkova and Kvitova are unlikely to go on runs after this and retroactively justify their semifinal places, just like Schiavone probably won't.

I don't mean to take anything away from these girls - they've won 5 matches so they totally deserve to be in the semis, and all have played good tennis to reach this stage - very good tennis, in fact. And I do kind of agree that sitting moaning about it constantly is pointless. But still, it's pretty obvious that if this becomes a trend, and we get a WTA Tour with no marquee names, where every girl in the draw has a chance of winning any given tournament, it will spell commercial disaster for the sport. And for the those of us who want to see the sport get a lot of attention, get a lot of TV coverage and have a new generation of young people pick up racquets, that would be a very bad thing indeed.

ptkten
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:52 AM
For the last time, it's not just the fact that unknowns have made a run at this one Slam that people are complaining about. The main complaints are that (a) this is the SECOND Slam within a month where this has happened, and (b) Pironkova and Kvitova are unlikely to go on runs after this and retroactively justify their semifinal places, just like Schiavone probably won't.

I don't mean to take anything away from these girls - they've won 5 matches so they totally deserve to be in the semis, and all have played good tennis to reach this stage - very good tennis, in fact. And I do kind of agree that sitting moaning about it constantly is pointless. But still, it's pretty obvious that if this becomes a trend, and we get a WTA Tour with no marquee names, where every girl in the draw has a chance of winning any given tournament, it will spell commercial disaster for the sport. And for the those of us who want to see the sport get a lot of attention, get a lot of TV coverage and have a new generation of young people pick up racquets, that would be a very bad thing indeed.

I usually don't agree with you, but this is exactly right. This is terrible for the sport, Pironkova and Kvitova are probably not ever going to make another slam semi. It has nothing to do with Venus not being here, if Clijsters or Henin or some new young player who was lower ranked but was breaking through beat her, then I would be fine with it. Dissapointed, but it would be ok for the sport because you would have a new star for people to follow. When different people keep winning every tournament, then it takes away the feeling of the upset, because there's no gold standard to look up to.

The random winning of the men's tour in the late 90's was terrible, and caused me to follow women's tennis more than men's tennis when I first started watching. If new, young people are getting into tennis, I definitely would not blame them for getting into men's tennis more. Plus, women's tennis requires stars more than men's tennis. Whether we think so here on this board or not, women's tennis can only equal men's tennis in popularity when there are personalities who draw people to the sport. Without these personalities, women's tennis will always be a second class citizen and the ratings will plummet.

Otlichno
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:55 AM
Probably is the key word. ;) You'll just have to wait and see.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM
I dont think that's fair to say that about those girls. I mean who ever is the best that day moves on point blank. I mean I know that Venus, Henin, Clijsters, Jankovic, and a few other girls can beat the girls who are in the semi's (cept ole Rena ;)) but you know...they are not there...and people can at least show the respect of these young ladies making it there for their first time. Thats just the way the game is....just because you are a top players does not guarantee you a spot in the semi's! You have to earn it just as these young ladies did....can I get a Amen????

archie4
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:24 AM
Why when someone new makes the later stages of a slam someone start a thread like this? If you think the WTA has hit rock bottom because of it you have a serious odd view of the tour.

New players putting up their hands at slams is good for the game. The domination of player is really bad and that mean the tour has hit rock bottom as there is no new talent coming up to challenge the old guard. It's great to see the new players coming through.

Amen... Well said, Lindsayfan32! Just because Venus and Kim lost doesn't mean an end to the women's game.

Pops Maellard
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:32 AM
I don't think people's problem is girls getting far in the slams for the first time.

Rather, these surprise performers at the slams never repeat it anywhere and always go back to losing before the 4R in all the other slams.

The girls not backing up the surprise results is the annoying thing.

AnomyBC
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:52 AM
This tournament seems to be trying to top the French in total randomness :) I'm happy for Pironkova and Kvitova, but this probably is a bad sign for the WTA. If they can back these results up, then it's great, but I don't think they'll be able to, which is the problem. Same thing with Schiavone. What we're seeing seems to be less the rise of great new players, and more the fall of great old players. That said, at least Pironkova and Kvitova are young, so it's always possible that they may grow into great players in the future.

innerouter2000
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:16 AM

I agree with you totally:)

Vikapower
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:26 AM
This tournament seems to be trying to top the French in total randomness :) I'm happy for Pironkova and Kvitova, but this probably is a bad sign for the WTA. If they can back these results up, then it's great, but I don't think they'll be able to, which is the problem. Same thing with Schiavone. What we're seeing seems to be less the rise of great new players, and more the fall of great old players. That said, at least Pironkova and Kvitova are young, so it's always possible that they may grow into great players in the future.
You're pretty nave if you tought that Schiavone would perform in Wimbledon and will perform in the US and the AO. Theses are fast surfaces and Schiavone's style of play doesn't suit theses since there are tones of girls who can blow her off the court and she doesn't have the stricking force to respond.

I don't see Pironkova confirming her results unless something really clicked in her mind. She has an interesting style of play but lacks the stricking force to really compete with the top players on faster surfaces but maybe after that results her game might drastically rise.

As for Kvitova I dislike her at the most because she's all what I don't like in tennis attitude and style of play combined but I recognize that she's not a fearful player and seems to rise up to the occasion. Her one dimensional all power combined with her flagrant lack of movement will give her problems when the player in front can stand toe to toe with her in terms of play. Kvitova is the type of player just give her variety and she will paint the fence black is white. Kim would love to play girls like Kvitova day in day out in the US. :lol:

AnomyBC
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:40 AM
You're pretty nave if you tought that Schiavone would perform in Wimbledon and will perform in the US and the AO. Theses are fast surfaces and Schiavone's style of play doesn't suit theses since there are tones of girls who can blow her off the court and she doesn't have the stricking force to respond.

I don't see Pironkova confirming her results unless something really clicked in her mind. She has an interesting style of play but lacks the stricking force to really compete with the top players on faster surfaces but maybe after that results her game might drastically rise.

As for Kvitova I dislike her at the most because she's all what I don't like in tennis attitude and style of play combined but I recognize that she's not a fearful player and seems to rise up to the occasion. Her one dimensional all power combined with her flagrant lack of movement will give her problems when the player in front can stand toe to toe with her in terms of play. Kvitova is the type of player just give her variety and she will paint the fence black is white. Kim would love to play girls like Kvitova day in day out in the US. :lol:

What about my comments made you think I expected Schiavone to perform well at Wimbeldon, the US Open and the Australian Open? I assure you I did not :) But I don't expect her to back-up her results at the French Open either.

StZox
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:57 AM
You can't reach the GS semifinal and beat top players on your way there if you don't demonstrate good play.
The two ladies deserved their semi-final spot based on their performance.
However, their game just doesn't excite me given that I would rather see the clash between the champions such as Venus and Kim than these two.

Vikapower
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:05 AM
What about my comments made you think I expected Schiavone to perform well at Wimbeldon, the US Open and the Australian Open? I assure you I did not :) But I don't expect her to back-up her results at the French Open either.
:lol: Oh yeah well re-reading I got mistaken. ;) Well Franscesca is 29 really there's nothing special to await from her unless Fed cup where she always gives her all and maybe some premier 5/mandatories... As for a 2nd GS she can always get favorable circumstances.

AnomyBC
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM

I totally agree with this as well. This is the point I was trying to make in that "Tennis Wins!" thread after Schiavone won. Anyone who thinks it's a good thing to have lesser known, underachieving players go far in slams while the big names go out early is crazy. If this continues, it will be a disaster for the sport.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:39 AM
The thing nobody seems to be taking into account here is that when you make a Grand Slam semi final you immediately cease to be a nobody and you become a star. Hence more players reaching the later stages of Slams simply means over time there will be more stars on the tour.

Take a player like Dokic. Since reaching the semifinals of Wimbledon in 2000 she has only reached the quarterfinals of two further slams. But she has remained a star. I have no doubt that both Pironkova and Kvitova will remain stars too.

Bronx19
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:53 AM
Let go of it buddy. We want different faces, not the same old rehashed matches.

Pops Maellard
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:40 AM
The thing nobody seems to be taking into account here is that when you make a Grand Slam semi final you immediately cease to be a nobody and you become a star. Hence more players reaching the later stages of Slams simply means over time there will be more stars on the tour.

Take a player like Dokic. Since reaching the semifinals of Wimbledon in 2000 she has only reached the quarterfinals of two further slams. But she has remained a star. I have no doubt that both Pironkova and Kvitova will remain stars too.
Cibulkova hasn't remained a star though has she?

salima
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM
This is sport. Ups and downs, suprises and favourite falls are all a part of it. It is the excitement of the tounaments. If not, we could just publish the ranking and pick the winner.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:32 AM
Cibulkova hasn't remained a star though has she?

Actually I'd say Cibulkova is a star. She has a large following and is popular enough that she gets offers to appear in magazines etc. And she is only 21 years old so she has plenty of time to become even more successful/ well known.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
We're going through a transitional period which is basically waiting, or I guess HOPING at this point, for Clijsters/Henin/Sharapova to come good and make it a true Top 5.

This would push certain players out of the Top 10 almost immediately and prevent some players from being as successful as they normally would as there would be an actual champion quality player in each quarter of a draw.

If this happens or once this happens WTA will be just fine. Justine will end the year Top 10 for sure. Maria is a maybe. Kim is likely to do the same.

bandabou
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
Nah, it's good...sure, it's kinda of fluky..but well you've to start somewhere. New faces is always good thing.

illusyve
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:30 AM
The WTA is past its peak and will never win a grand slam.

:lol:

I don't see the problem with new faces taking the opportunity to make their first deep run into Slams if the top players can't stay consistent enough to prevent them from doing so. :shrug: If they made it to the SF, they were the better player in each of their matches, and deserved to be there. Why is this an indication of the WTA hitting rock bottom?

poulao
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
It says that WTA has great depth of good players and that just because you are a Williams or a Belgian, you dont need to play well. :lol:

wales1994
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM
:help: People complain that WTA is at a rock bottom because there's the same old players winning (Serena, Venus, Kim etc) And then they complain that there are no new faces on the WTA, And as soon as new girls have their breakthroughs it's the same response :rolleyes:

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM

the likelihood of pironkova even winning a MM title for the rest of this year is almost zero :help:

Pops Maellard
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM
the likelyhood of pironkova even winning a MM title for the rest of this year is almost zero :help:
Imagine if titleless Kanepi had made the SF? :lol: Then again Cibulkova's a former FO SFist. :tape:

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Pironkova has no title either

Pops Maellard
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
Oh God, exactly my point. :lol:

FedererBulgaria
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Pironkova love u too sammy01

Dementinator
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Why must the same crap be in the finals year after year?
Nothing wrong with some new blood.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Pironkova love u too sammy01

i don't dislike pironkova, im just living in reality. pironkova will go back to losing 2nd round of MM straight after wimbledon.

that is her level.

FedererBulgaria
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
i don't dislike pironkova, im just living in reality. pironkova will go back to losing 2nd round of MM straight after wimbledon.

that is her level.

OK but now she is happy,leave her alone pls:angel:

rockstar
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
:lol:

I don't see the problem with new faces taking the opportunity to make their first deep run into Slams if the top players can't stay consistent enough to prevent them from doing so. :shrug: If they made it to the SF, they were the better player in each of their matches, and deserved to be there. Why is this an indication of the WTA hitting rock bottom?

the thing is that these rising stars rarely back up their performances after. it's not like sharapova. think more along the lines of cornet

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM
Pironkova has power and good movement. She looks like a good player this tournament

RenaSlam.
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Pironkova is playing like a GOAT.

Apoleb
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'm loving what I'm seing from Pironkova. She has instinctive command of the court and great shot selection.

Let's go. :party:

madmax
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM
Pironkova is transforming into GrassGOAT in front of out eyes...girl is playing some unbelievable tennis right now

Patrick345
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Kvitova is definately a fluke. Im not so sure this isnt a breakthrough for Pironkova, but it still pisses me off.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
Pironkova lost to Craybas in round 1 last year.
She just beat Venus and Bartoli in 2 sets, and Vera looks helpless

Apoleb
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Her forehand is kind of a joke though. :lol:

Aaron.
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Pironkova in the Wimbledon final :hysteric:

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
vera is playing dumb as a house brick, for every forehand pironkova has hit shes hit 3 backhands. vera cant stop hitting to her weapon not her weakness :help:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
I said in the WWW thread that on their match up Pironkova should win in straight sets. The people who picked Vera were mainly doing it for a sense of security I guess.

Pironkova hits deeper, flatter, harder, serves bigger, and moves better ON grass. Her anticipation is very good and there doesn't seem to be any combination of shot that can throw off her BH wing.

Vera has no answers on grass to her game, but it was good for her to get 2 Top 10 wins on this surface finally.

John.
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
Not just the fact she could be in the final, but her first EVER final could be Wimbledon :rolls: Madness

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM
vera is playing dumb as a house brick, for every forehand pironkova has hit shes hit 3 backhands. vera cant stop hitting to her weapon not her weakness :help:

That's the thing. As long as Pironkova is making FHs it isn't really a weakness either. It disturbs Vera with lack of rhythm. She'd much rather hit to the BH so at least she could get a uniform ball and not have surprises.

You can't really prepare for what Pironkova is going to do on the FH side.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM
That's the thing. As long as Pironkova is making FHs it isn't really a weakness either. It disturbs Vera with lack of rhythm. She'd much rather hit to the BH so at least she could get a uniform ball and not have surprises.

You can't really prepare for what Pironkova is going to do on the FH side.

watch serena pound her in the forehand corner in the final and it break down like cheap tent.

the sad thing is vera has the angled crosscourt forehand, that could give her a short no paced put away ball from pironkova's forehand time and again, but she aint using it.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Zvonareva would have to take the ball earlier in the rallies to win this match. She's too generous with her court positioning and not striking the ball bold enough.

The question is can her game really execute that on grass? The good thing she has going for her is that she is serving well and hasn't DF yet.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
watch serena pound her in the forehand corner in the final and it break down like cheap tent.

the sad thing is vera has the angled crosscourt forehand, that could give her a short no paced put away ball from pironkova's forehand time and again, but she aint using it.

Serena has way more raw firepower than Zvonareva and a bit better depth as well. She can MAKE Pironkova hit the ball late. Zvonareva just doesn't have that type of ability.

Viktymise
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM

Sorry but Vera is getting thoroughly outplayed. Simple as.

Dave.
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM

Why do they need to 'justify' their runs outside of this tournament itself. For me, Pironkova and Kvitova have already justified their places with their wins so far, and with Tsveti's performance so far today.

I think too many people are just reacting to the results and forgetting about the tennis. They see Pironkova, Kvitova, Schiavone etc. with chances to win slams and this by default is preventing them from enjoying the tennis, simply because they don't have a top 10 ranking next to their name.

I say just enjoy the match that's being played on the day. Rezai, MJMS, Schiavone were all incredible to watch in their respective wins. Pironkova is doing great today. I'll take this over seeing Safina in the final every week (yeah, to bring that up, people were complaining endlessly about the state of women's tennis in 2008-2009, but Safina was unbelievably consistent :shrug:).

I think it's been proven that it's so much harder for anyone to be consistent these days. It's impossible to expect to see the same final matchup all the time, and even when we had Safina-Kuznetsova 3 times in the clay season last year, nobody was any happier.

where every girl in the draw has a chance of winning any given tournament,

I think that's the best.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Serena has way more raw firepower than Zvonareva and a bit better depth as well. She can MAKE Pironkova hit the ball late. Zvonareva just doesn't have that type of ability.

she does, if she stepped in a bit more and played with more conviction.

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry but Vera is getting thoroughly outplayed. Simple as.

Yep. As long as Pironkova keeps executing, she has the game to beat Vera.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
vera should play this how jj plays caro, pound the forehand wide time and again untill the short reply then hit it into the backhand corner and just wonder in incase the ball comes back.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
I am simply in love with what I am seeing from Tsveti. Totally inspired unpredictable tennis. :bounce:

Dave.
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM

And Venus? :devil:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
she does, if she stepped in a bit more and played with more conviction.

Naa. I love Vera and her game, so I don't want to sound disparaging. However, if Vera had that type of ability she wouldn't have just broken into the Top 5 last year.

I know her limitations.

Wiggly
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
I guess most people are worried to see what will happen to women tennis if ramdom players (I mean, Pironkova, whaaat?) are getting to the final stages and winning Slams,

It's certainly not good for the Tour.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
2 points in this game she has used my tactic, wide to the forehand, then short ball to the backhand, move in and kill off the point

homogenius
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
vera should play this how jj plays caro, pound the forehand wide time and again untill the short reply then hit it into the backhand corner and just wonder in incase the ball comes back.

yep.she's doing it from times to times but not enough yet.

Apoleb
If Vera can take advantage of Pironkova's forehand... It's a really weak shot, especially on the run.

Sadly this is not the grass GOAT we were looking for. :sad:

FedererBulgaria
Tsveti on FIRE

lilygotsilly
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Doesnt anyone realize that we are hardly playing on grass anymore. Thanks to what the curator is doing to this grass, the heat, and all the long matches the first week - these women are basically playing dirt ball! The grass effect has been loss and this is why Pironkova is doing so well. She's basically playing fast clay court tennis - -staying 5 feet off the baseline, playing defense, patiently waiting for her opening, then attacking. THIS ISNT GRASS TENNIS. She actually struggled in the second set against terribly out of form Lapushenkova in the first round. Had she played anyone good the first round when it was a grass court she might not even be here right now. This is how Nadal has done so well - hold on (barely) or cheat the first week and then make a run on the wimbledon clay the second week. They need to fix this -- I want to watch a true wimbledon tournament again.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
This is not good tennis. Serena would bury both of them.
Venus played terribly 2 days ago
I've seen Vera play a lot, and this not even a good day

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
at least vera has the tactic right now. wide to the forehand, then from the short ball to the backhand and finish at net. it could win her this match and a wimbledon final.

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM
Vera had a great chance to break, up 0-30 and netting an easy dtl shot, and lost the game, that made it 2-2 instead of 3-1 Vera
Pironkova has been very ordinary, but Vera has to take it

Aaron.
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
I said in the WWW thread that on their match up Pironkova should win in straight sets. The people who picked Vera were mainly doing it for a sense of security I guess.

Pironkova hits deeper, flatter, harder, serves bigger, and moves better ON grass. Her anticipation is very good and there doesn't seem to be any combination of shot that can throw off her BH wing.

Vera has no answers on grass to her game, but it was good for her to get 2 Top 10 wins on this surface finally. All your predictions are wrong :lol: but its ok :hug:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM
Zvonareva is having success now with this play, Deep right up the middle of the court to the Pironkova FH and get a sitter.

RenaSlam.
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM
Vera is complete control now. Piro just fell.

sammy01
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Zvonareva is having success now with this play, Deep right up the middle of the court to the Pironkova FH and get a sitter.

it was the obvious tactic not just for vera but anyone on tour playing pironkova. it just took vera a set to settle and play smartly. pironkova won the 1st set because she settled straight away.

LegionArgentina
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Vera has a great net-play,I hope she could go more to net to close the points early.

RenaSlam.
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Pironkova's level has dropped considerably.

mure
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Pironkova is the female Andrew Murray.Good first serve,good backhand,dreadful forehand

at least Pironkova hasn't reached 2 slam finals yet and her highest ranking is 40..wta>>>>>>>>>>>>atp

swim4life227
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
Vera right now is begging for Pironkova to out choke her.

Svetlana)))
Pironkova is the female Andrew Murray.Good first serve,good backhand,dreadful forehand

at least Pironkova hasn't reached 2 slam finals yet and her highest ranking is 40..wta>>>>>>>>>>>>atp

Who?:confused:

Meelis
Livescores/discussion when a match is in process are to be posted in the tournament section.

swim4life227
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM
You know the player who gets to be on center court every match despite never really winning a big match at any slam since his breakthrough.

RenaSlam.
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM
Livescores/discussion when a match is in process are to be posted in the tournament section.

Give me a break.

mure
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
pironkova collapsed..too bad..the bitching had she won would reach ridiculous heights

FedererBulgaria
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Tsveti :hug:

Pops Maellard
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:44 PM
pironkova collapsed..too bad..the bitching had she won would reach ridiculous heights
Would you be surprised? A player who lost in the qualies of EASTBOURNE, in the finals of Wimbledon? :haha: :tape:

Libertango
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Would you be surprised? A player who lost in the qualies of EASTBOURNE, in the finals of Wimbledon? :haha: :tape:

And lost to a Brit, no less. ;)

(Love you, Heather :hug: )

swim4life227
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM

That's actually pretty hilarious.

mykarma
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM
When something about half this bad happened to the ATP in the early 2000s, I called it out for what it was: lack of prodigious talent at the top. The WTA has Serena Williams, of course, but that's it, and Serena hasn't always been at her best outside of the slams. Sharapova hasn't beaten a top 40 opponent all year, apparently (much as I love her). That's pathetic. Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters aren't what they used to be, Venus hasn't really been consistent since 2002, and no one else has done enough for a sustained enough period of time to even warrant mention.
this

mykarma
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
The confusion we the fans all have over whether turn-outs like this show the depth of the tour or simply the abysmal play of the "top players" would be cleared if the women played best of five set matches at the slams, and we got a real sense at where the tennis of these women is at.

Just do it.
:bolt:

homogenius
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM

Vera has no answers on grass to her game, but it was good for her to get 2 Top 10 wins on this surface finally.

:lol: :tape:

mykarma
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM

You can't be seriously comparing Baghdatis and Tsonga's record to these young two young ladies.

mykarma
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Totally agree!!!
I'm glad Vera just won because I want to see a competitive final.

Pops Maellard
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:06 PM
I'm glad Vera just won because I want to see a competitive final.
Pironkova would've been spanked I agree. Her push forehand wing would've been pummelled and whenever she tries to go for pace on it she hits it out. :sad:

Vera VS Serena chould be good if Vera doesn't get too nervous.

treufreund
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
I enjoy seeing the breakthroughs! The OP can STFU.

Sharapower
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
I enjoy seeing the breakthroughs! The OP can STFU.
Yes, that!
Never thought I would agree with anything written by treufreund.

I loved Pironkova 1st set in the semi. Too bad she was burnt out afterward.

Ciarn
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
LOL. It's not like either player opened their eyes and found themselves in the Semis :rolleyes: Both worked extremely hard and played some inspiring tennis to get this far :rolleyes: People who complain about the WTA Tour don't know a racket from a shoe, because you would know that an era is ending (i.e the William Sisters) and new names are arriving. The William Sisters have to be succeeded by someone and all year potential names have been popping up all over the place. As many before me have said it shows great depth and it makes me proud to be a WTA fan because there are hundreds of extremely talented and passionate players capable of beating anyone.

homogenius
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
All the whinning...The SF are not over, but for the moment, Pironkova, Zvonareva and Kvitova all played better tennis than Serena today.Names aren't everything.