PDA

View Full Version : Schiavone's Slam was a TOTAL FLUKE

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I know I'm going to be bashed for this, but here are the facts.

We all know that:

1) in QF she faced the worst No. 2 ever on probably her worst surface,
2) in SF she faced an injured russian headcase,
3) in F she faced a player who couldn't handle the pressure (and who also eliminated all the other favourites for the title).

Facts some (or most) of you probably don't know :
(all comparisons are made against other top20 players + Zvonareva and Safina)

1) she has been a pro for 12 years and has never reached top 10 (before RG),
2) in the past 12 months she played 26 tournaments, only Peer played more - 27,
3) she lost 9 times in the first round, more than anyone, next on the list is Wozniacki with 8 losses,
4) she played 6 Mickey Mouse (International) tournaments, only Peer (9) and Rezai (8) played more,
5) she has by far the worst results in Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 events,
6) after RG she hasn't won a match yet.

IMO she is the luckiest Grand Slam winner ever. She deserved a semifinal, but I think I'm being generous here.

matthias
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Dinara, Caro, JJ, Dementieva etc. would give so much for beeing this fluke - so who cares?

Gęmeos
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:57 AM
yea,but she just won the title.

Coke Zero
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
It was, but I'm still happy for her. :)

rnwerner
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The problem was that not the best player of the tournament WON the tournament.
But Schiavone was one of the best players of the tournament. So it is ok.

Beat
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
hey! you're not only a bright child, but a very, very quick one, too! :hearts:

please close this thread.

thegreendestiny
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:48 AM
And she also did not beat any GS champion en route, just like her fellow fluke champion two years ago.

It may be a total fluke but at the end of the day, she's still owns that trophy.

tievae
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah, it was a fluke and a stroke of good luck, but still, she's what (one million euros?) richer and has her name in the history books alongside Anastasia Myskina and Ana Ivanovic. :angel: Plus, she'll be forever revered in Italy. :awww:

kittyking
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Yes it was a fluke, but it was rather nice to see someone so unprepared/genuine giving a victory speech :bowdown:

Pat Bateman
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
There's no such thing as a total fluke in tennis.
It's not like football where you can get a miraculous goal in the dying seconds, or basketball where you can pile up a big lead and wait for the clock to run out. Because there's no time limit, tennis players actually have to win their matches.
It's impossible to fluke winning the seven consecutive matches over a two week stretch that a player must achieve to win a grand slam title.
One or two matches, you might get lucky. But seven in a row? Over two weeks in a row? No way. :bs:

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
It was a fortunate draw, like Ivanovic had.
If Fran never gets to another slam SF, the draw Fran had will be talked about as part of her win.

This is what players are supposed to do, take advantage of soft draws. Its a good thing, not a bad thing.

Ferg
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Oh just shut the fuck up you stupid troll.

Pops Maellard
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
And she also did not beat any GS champion en route, just like her fellow fluke champion two years ago.

It may be a total fluke but at the end of the day, she's still owns that trophy.
:)

SVK
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Not WTA but General Messages here in TF is a hot mess now

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
hey! you're not only a bright child, but a very, very quick one, too! :hearts:

please close this thread.

I think that every assessment is better and more accurate when some time has passed since the event described. I'm probably going to bump this thread in about a year to see how she was doing and if I was right.

Vanity Bonfire
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'm so OVA you, gurl:hysteric:

Fransexa was amaze:inlove:. That tiebreak was :drool:

Ksenia.
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Wow, still bitter? It's been a while already.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Wow, still bitter? It's been a while already.

Why should I be bitter ? I'm not a Stosur, Dementieva or Wozniacki fan, I even like Schiavone. This is just my "cold and dry" assessment of what has happaned. :wavey:

There's no such thing as a total fluke in tennis.
It's not like football where you can get a miraculous goal in the dying seconds, or basketball where you can pile up a big lead and wait for the clock to run out. Because there's no time limit, tennis players actually have to win their matches.
It's impossible to fluke winning the seven consecutive matches over a two week stretch that a player must achieve to win a grand slam title.
One or two matches, you might get lucky. But seven in a row? Over two weeks in a row? No way. :bs:

She wasn't lucky in 7 matches, I said she deserved a semifinal. She was lucky in the last 2.

NyCPsU
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM
:yawn:

Ksenia.
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Why should I be bitter ? I'm not a Stosur, Dementieva or Wozniacki fan, I even like Schiavone. This is just my "cold and dry" assessment of what has happaned. :wavey:

Then I don't understand why would it bother you :shrug:

Pops Maellard
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM

She wasn't lucky in 7 matches, I said she deserved a semifinal. She was lucky in the last 2.
I thought that was Elena in your av. :lol: Looks like her...

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I thought that was Elena in your av. :lol: Looks like her...

It's just a photo of her I find funny. And I do like her, but that doesn't mean I'm her fan.
I like lots of players :)

MAGIKARPETTA
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
How many players, perhaps even stronger than her, are always close to win it, but they don't succeed?
She took advantage of his chance at 100% ... yeah, a little bit of luck helped her, but she actually has not stolen anyting!

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM

We all know that:

3) in F she faced a player who couldn't handle the pressure (and who also eliminated all the other favourites for the title).

Facts some (or most) of you probably doesn't know :

3) she lost 9 times in the first round, more than anyone, next on the list is Wozniacki with 8 losses,
4) she played 6 Mickey Mouse (International) tournaments, only Peer (9) and Rezai (8) played more,
5) she has by far the worst results in Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 results,

IMO she is the luckiest Grand Slam winner ever. She deserved a semifinal, but I think I'm being generous here.

And which of the 127 players who LOST at Roland Garros would you award the title to?

iGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
You obviously did not see any of her matches, especially the final, where she played incredibly :yeah:.

I'm not saying she'll win another one but she deserved this more than many other higher-ranked players who played very mediocre to win majors.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
And which of the 127 players who LOST at Roland Garros would you award the title to?

Good question :lol:

You obviously did not see any of her matches, especially the final, where she played incredibly :yeah:.

I'm not saying she'll win another one but she deserved this more than many other higher-ranked players who played very mediocre to win majors.

Wrong. I saw the last 4 and she was playing well (for her standard) but not GS worthy.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Who cares? As long as she wins 7 matches in a row and beat her opponents fair and square, I don't care if she retires straight away or even never even win a match forever. She deserved what she gets.:)

edificio
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM
It was no more a fluke than any other win. She won 7 matches. Therefore, she won the tournament. She doesn't have to be the best in the world at the Slams, just the one to win 7 matches in a row.

Why so much anger about it? :confused:

StephenUK
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think it was a fluke, it was representative of the state of women's tennis at the moment. It followed the pattern of Madrid, Rome, Stuttgart, Eastbourne - big tournaments with surprise winners. The top 10 continues to flounder at Wimbledon where only Serena has performed. Usually this leads to a new group taking over the top of the rankings, cf the rise of Hingis-Williams-Davenport in the late 90s or the rise of Graf in 87 but there doesn't even seem to be that.

miffedmax
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
We've already had a rash of subpar #1s, which I predicted would be followed by a series of subpar slam winners. It will be interesting if this is just a case of another flukey French winner (of which there are many) or if it's evidence that there really is something wrong with the WTA.

Patrick345
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Getting to the final she didnīt have that tough of a draw, but that performance in the final was worthy of a Grand Slam champion. On the biggest stage, she stepped up big time and played almost flawless.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Just because you play someone who won a major, doesnt mean the draw is tougher.
Nadia beat Kim and Sveta at the AO, but the way those 2 slam winners played, the draw wasnt that tough.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Getting to the final she didnīt have that tough of a draw, but that performance in the final was worthy of a Grand Slam champion. On the biggest stage, she stepped up big time and played almost flawless.

I don't agree with this. You can play as well as your oponent allows you to play. If she faced a better playing oponent in the final, her play would be nowhere near flawless.

new-york
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, but what a way to take advandage of fluky winds. :worship:

XaDavK_Kapri
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
99% of the tour would take a fluke slam win over no slam win at all. She won the French Open, get over it.

delicatecutter
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Franci played amaze. You can't take it away from her. Her winning was one of the most heartfelt and genuine moments I've seen. It made me so happy and proud to be a tennis fan. :awww:

She had 4 Top 12 wins. Many players have had easier draws to win a Slam.

tonybotz
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
this thread is the biggest "NO DUH" in a while.

tenn_ace
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
well done Fran!!!!!!! Love you girl!

Beat
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM

did you watch the final?? how can you describe that performance as "lucky"?

anyway, what does it matter if it's a fluke or not? if i was a player, i'd take a grand slam title anyways. and you would, too.

delicatecutter
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
did you watch the final?? how can you describe that performance as "lucky"?

anyway, what does it matter if it's a fluke or not? if i was a player, i'd take a grand slam title anyways. and you would, too.

Exactly. Franci played amazing in the final, especially to break back in the 2nd and in the TB. It's not like in 04 when Dementieva just gave the title to Myskina.

Mastodon
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM
She won a grand slam, which is a great achievement no matter how you look at it.

Danii's Law
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I understand what your saying.
Your not insulting her, but your right. Out of all the players out there it is crazy that she won a Grand Slam.

I remember when she was playing well a few years back, when she was world number 11, she didn't even have a title under her belt, then to go from that to being a Grand Slam champion is indeed bizarre.

She didn't have an incredibly hard draw like Stosur, and although Franchesca played extremely well, she did have quite an easy QF SF and F. I have to say her Li and Kirilenko victories were impressive.

People on this board have to stop trying to be so politically correct. The person who started this thread is entitled to their opinion and they do have a point. Although I think its great that a player out of the 128 draw who was not anywhere near a favorite won its just not a result that many wanted (I don't think that Sam winning would have necessarily been either)
I mean it is a Grand Slam and us fans do expect a bit more that what we got. We want to see a champion win or an up and comer get up and start their career, not a fluke never to be repeated feat.

Having said all that I am happy for Franchesca, it really meant a lot to her, she played an amazing final and you can't blame her for making the most of the draw she was given.
I guess it also gives all players in the draw hope that they can win a slam. Hopefully a certain Bulgarian can take Wimbledon!!!

Patrick345
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I don't agree with this. You can play as well as your oponent allows you to play. If she faced a better playing oponent in the final, her play would be nowhere near flawless.

So just maybe Schiavone didnīt allow Stosur to dominate like Henin, Serena and Jelena. Serving 7-8 aces, following her strokes to the net, therefore putting extra pressure on Stosurs soemtimes shaky forehand and especially backhand. Maybe Schiavone didnīt allow Stosur to play the way she likes to play. Oh no it has to be the other way around. Stosur choked. She didnīt choke against Henin, Serena and Jankovic, but the Slam final did her. It didnīt do Schiavone, who was also in untested waters, but that ainīt a positive quality of Schiavone either, I guess. :rolleyes:

davidmario
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Fluke or not - I'm sure she doesn't care since she won a fucking GS

tennislover
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
:(

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Fran was pretty damn impressive, especially in the final. She did better than a lot of these slam-worthy players on that stage.

Hian
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
That's becoming boring.
Franny was simply amazing in that tournament, and she defeated very good players (Li and Stosur, for example).
I think you should close your mouth and stop writing these things. I'm saying that for you :o

narutos
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
FO is over she won your fave obviously didn't just deal with it.:wavey:

darrinbaker00
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
If Francesca Schiavone wasn't capable of winning Roland Garros, she wouldn't have. Period. Moderators, please close this thread.

sammy01
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
i wish chak could fluke a slam, or a match lol

matty
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
So what--fact is, she own's a slam title--it's in the record books--Congrats to her!

AdeyC
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
All that matters is that its her name on the trophy.

Bijoux0021
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Fluke or no fluke, she will always be known a Slam champion.:p

So Disrespectful
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
She was in the right place at the right time, but she still deserves the title she won.

mboyle
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I get convulsions when I think about how poorly the "top" players have performed the past two years. However, that's not Schiavone's fault. Do I think she would have won a slam in any other era in history? Heck no. That said, she kept her composure, played well, and took advantage of the draw+Henin's collapse+Serena's choke.

Leo_DFP
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
She rose to the occasion. She produced some of the best tennis we've seen these past couple of decades from a woman in her FIRST Grand Slam final.

For me, it's nice to see someone come onto the court with a perfect strategy for a surface and an opponent and then execute it to perfection.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm so OVA you, gurl:hysteric:

Fransexa was amaze:inlove:. That tiebreak was :drool:
Seriously.

She deserves it so much. She got to the final and probably played the best match she has ever played in her career. She deserves nothing but praise.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM
She rose to the occasion. She produced some of the best tennis we've seen these past couple of decades from a woman in her FIRST Grand Slam final.

For me, it's nice to see someone come onto the court with a perfect strategy for a surface and an opponent and then execute it to perfection.
DIS!

Nothing else needs to be said. Mods, you know what to do.

Leo_DFP
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM

==> which is what Pironkova did yesterday against Venus. The perfect grass court match that made the 5-time champion look awkward and useless on her best surface.

As a fan of the sport, I like to see smart tennis. Whether it is produced by the big name players or not.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
DIS!

Nothing else needs to be said. Mods, you know what to do.

Do what ? Close a thread because you don't like it ? It's not going to happen if the mods have any decency. This thread is not insulting anyone, I'm just expressing my opinion in a neutral way. I even said I like Schiavone in one of my posts.

And quite a few people agree with my assessment. If you don't like this thread, stay away from it :wavey:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
and of course who started the thread?a lena fan :spit::weirdo:
after a month this still hurts :awww::wavey:

laurie
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:54 PM

We all know that:

Facts some (or most) of you probably doesn't know :

5) she has by far the worst results in Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 results,

Of course you are going to be lambasted. That's because you sound like a jealous miserable sod.

Let me put you right on a few things:

1. By winning the Fed Cup twice in 4 years and appearing in another final, that gave Francesca the confidence to handle the big ocassions. Nothing is bigger than representing your country in big finals

2. Francesca was able to embrace the big moment. In stark contrast to Samantha Stosur, or for instance Kaia Kanepi yesterday

3. Francesca played intelligent Tennis. How often do we see in the modern game players hitting big shots into the corner, getting a floated reply and stay back. Francesca sneaked in every time to knock off volleys, many easy, some technically difficult.

4. Players like Agnieska Radwanska who bore us to death with uninspired, robotic and formulated Tennis will likely never win a Grand Slam tournament.

5. Veterans like Elena Dementieva never learned to serve properly. And of course, unlike Francesca, was never able to embrace the big moment and grab her opportunity when it presented her in the face.

That's why Francesca won a Grand Slam tournament - and that's that!

Hian
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM

This :hearts:
:p

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Of course you are going to be lambasted. That's because you sound like a jealous miserable sod.

What reason do I have to be jealous ? I'm not a tennis player. Why would I be jealous of Schiavone winning a slam ?

Logical thinking is obviously not the strongest part of many posters on this forum. Many of you assume, that I'm a Dementieva fan. Why ? Because I have her photo in my avatar ? Laughable logic. Besides, I've already explained I'm not, but reading also seems too much of a task for some of you.

This post is dedicated to you, among others :wavey:

This :hearts:
:p

and you :wavey:

n1_and_uh_noone
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Enough of this already! There have been countless easy draws not taken advantage of by supposedly more deserving players. She was the best player that fortnight, and is as good a champion as any other. In fact, more impressive than many of the past winners, seeing how well she performed on the big stage.

Kudos to her.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:46 PM

Any fan of Dementieva feels envy for Schiavone , that is ridiculous .
I donīt think any fan of Elena would change her career for Schiavone career

In addition , everybody knows that a healthy Elena would have won the match in RG

DragonFlame
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:12 PM
It totally is a fluke, but it was a mightely entertaining tournament though. :)

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:18 PM

In addition , everybody knows that a healthy Elena would have won the match in RG

Yea.. sure

Fran: 1 slam
Elena; 0 slams

Aaron.
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not a fan of Elena or Schiavone but Elena's career is much better..

3 slam finals and many SF's > 1 win

:shrug:

Slutati
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Elena Dementieva, goddess. :hearts::hearts::hearts:
Best bangs, legs, face, eyes, hair, nose...in the history of tennis.

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:30 PM

Yet Elena has never been able to win a slam and probably never will?

I'll take the slam

Stamp Paid
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:39 PM
For real?

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Yea.. sure

Fran: 1 slam
Elena; 0 slams

Tell me then why Elena is not playing Wimbledon and retired in that semis
Yes , cos she was/is healthy :rolleyes:

I congratulate Schiavone , but the last matches between they both show that she can not beat a healthy Dementieva . Not even on the worst surface of Elena

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=AcesHigh;18083569]

Tell me then why Elena is not playing Wimbledon and retired in that semis
Yes , cos she was/is healthy :rolleyes:

I congratulate Schiavone , but the last matches between they both show that she can not beat a healthy Dementieva . Not even on the worst surface of Elena

Yes, b/c Elena has been so great this year :weirdo:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=SIN DIOS NI LEY;18083648]

Yes, b/c Elena has been so great this year :weirdo:

As if you needed to be great to beat Schiavone :lol:

Elena playing below par and injured barely lost the first set

Sammo
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Schiavone doesn't deserve her Slam, I mean she's got a great mentality, but I hate the players that only win because of their mentalities ehem Wozniacki ehem, because Schiavone's game is SHIT, she adds spin and... adds spin. Besides she had a lot of luck in Roland Garros, Sam deserved much more the title... :sad: If only it had been a Stosur-Dementieva final :sad:

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Schiavone doesn't deserve her Slam, I mean she's got a great mentality, but I hate the players that only win because of their mentalities, because Schiavone's game is SHIT, she adds spin and... adds spin. Besides she had a lot of luck in Roland Garros, Sam deserved much more the title... :sad: If only it had been a Stosur-Dementieva final :sad:

So bitter :sad:

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=AcesHigh;18083656]

As if you needed to be great to beat Schiavone :lol:

Elena playing below par and injured barely lost the first set

Obviously you didn't watch the matches Fran played or you know nothing about tennis.
Fran played very well to win her title :rolleyes:

Even if Elena won, she most likely would have lost the final...as usual

Stamp Paid
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM
It totally is a fluke, but it was a mightely entertaining tournament though. :)Really?
I dont know what was more riveting. The blowout semis or the lackluster final.

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Really?
I dont know what was more riveting. The blowout semis or the lackluster final.

Why was it lackluster? B/c Serena wasn't in it? :confused:

Slutati
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Whatever, slams are overrated. Everyone has a slam these days. :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:04 AM
Why was it lackluster? B/c Serena wasn't in it? :confused:No. Fool.
It was lackluster because Sam's level dropped greatly from her QF and SF matches and she allowed Fran to outplay her from every corner of the court. If Sam could have fought more it could have been riveting. Best RG final in a long time, but thats not saying much. Still lackluster.

AcesHigh
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:07 AM
No. Fool.
It was lackluster because Sam's level dropped greatly from her QF and SF matches and she allowed Fran to outplay her from every corner of the court. If Sam could have fought more it could have been riveting. Best RG final in a long time, but thats not saying much. Still lackluster.

Sam played pretty well. Fran had the perfect strategy. It actually was a riveting final with two different styles. And most ppl and analysts so far have agreed. Fran played spectacular tennis.

The Dawntreader
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:13 AM
I didn't perceive the final to be lacklustre.

Schiavone was inspired, and it is that kind of display that eradicates all the horror shows from Safina, Dementieva, Clijsters etc in RG finals, however briefly.

Stamp Paid
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:15 AM
Sam played pretty well. Fran had the perfect strategy. It actually was a riveting final with two different styles. And most ppl and analysts so far have agreed. Fran played spectacular tennis.Sam's "pretty well" tennis + Fran's "spectacular tennis" = lackluster final. If they both played (or even competed) at a high level it would have been riveting, but thats not what happened.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:16 AM
Schiavone was inspired, and it is that kind of display that eradicates all the horror shows from Safina, Dementieva, Clijsters etc in RG finals, however briefly.

You forget all of them faced better players in their Finals . Just saying

The Dawntreader
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM
You forget all of them faced better players in their Finals . Just saying

True.

No excuses for Clijsters, Pierce horrific tennis though, considering their experience at majors.

scandic78
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:24 AM
Why start this bullshit thread? Francesca worked damn hard to win the French Open - determination and sheer passion drove her to lifting that trophy at the end. Who cares how long she has been playing or what her past results were like - SHE WON and thoroughly deserved it too.

Oh, by the way - I'm no fan of hers either!

Please stop posting ridiculous, shoot from the hip threads like this :tape:

Midnight_Robber
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:23 AM
Schiavone won 7 matches in a row and beat whoever was in front of her. Doesn't matter whether she wins another slam or not. She's an RG champion now and forever.

tennisforadults
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
So bitter :sad:

:lol: Objectivity is not Sammo/Jamie's strong suit. Forgive him. :)

Even if Schiavone never wins another match, so what! I would kill for Sam to have that trophy and then be called a fluke winner forever. :lol:

No fun being an eternal bridesmaid (poor Elena).

Volcana
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM
I know I'm going to be bashed for this, but here are the facts.The facts are that a veteran player who's paid her dues played her absolute best at the most important moments of her singles career, and she was rewarded for it.

The fact that we get to laugh at whiners like you is just gravy. I mean, do you get how trivial you seem when your comments are read?

woosey
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:58 AM
honey as long as that check for $1 million doesn't bounce, it's no fluke.

hingis-seles
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:13 AM
Check out Hingis' road to the Wimbledon '97 title.

R1: d Kremer 64 64
R2: d Barbanschikova 62 62
R3: d Arendt 61 63
R4: d Applemans 61 63
QF: d Chladkova 63 62
SF: d Kournikova 63 62
F: d Novotna (#3) 26 63 63

The thing is, no one remembers or cares years later. They just remember you as a champion. Which is what Schiavone is.

Sp!ffy
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Um, you didnt have to prove anything to us...:weirdo:

archie4
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:26 AM
No... Schiavone played smart tennis and won seven matches. I don't really see that as a fluke.

AnomyBC
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:11 AM
This is true, and thank you for pointing that out again Captain Obvious :)

ivanban
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM

The thing is, no one remembers or cares years later. They just remember you as a champion. Which is what Schiavone is.

Yes, but unfortunately she'll be remembered as one from Majoli/Myskina/Ivanovic category

earthcrystal
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM
What's the point of this thread exactly? To bash Franny? To make her fans feel crappy about her win??

I'm asking this question in all seriousness. Most of the people on this board are well aware of the type of career she's had.

So what if it was a fluke, who cares. It was a beautiful sports moment. She's had a long, tough career and she got to have this wonderful thing. I don't get why you felt the need to try to crap all over it. (Not to mention, insult several OTHER players in the process.)

I don't know. Whatever.

Been for a walk lately? I hear they're really good for clearing your head.

tennisforadults
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:46 AM
What's the point of this thread exactly? To bash Franny? To make her fans feel crappy about her win??

Yep. That's what some of these posters do so they can feel better about themselves.

ClijstersGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM
The facts are that a veteran player who's paid her dues played her absolute best at the most important moments of her singles career, and she was rewarded for it.

The fact that we get to laugh at whiners like you is just gravy. I mean, do you get how trivial you seem when your comments are read?

I'm asking this question in all seriousness. Most of the people on this board are well aware of the type of career she's had.

So what if it was a fluke, who cares. It was a beautiful sports moment. She's had a long, tough career and she got to have this wonderful thing. I don't get why you felt the need to try to crap all over it. (Not to mention, insult several OTHER players in the process.)

I don't know. Whatever.

Been for a walk lately? I hear they're really good for clearing your head.

I'm not "whining" about it. I'm totally indifferent personally to Schiavone winning a slam. I posted this thread because I've recently done some research on top 20 players' results. I noticed all those things about her, that I pointed out in the OP and connected it with her easy draw. The conclussion I made is stated in the topic. Simpe as that.

Yep. That's what some of these posters do so they can feel better about themselves.

Nope. Read the above.

True that this is an easy draw. But comparing this with Schavone is not good. Hingis is a proven champion. For example, if Serena won a slam having an easy draw, would you call it a fluke ? Of course not.

Melange
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
so what, someone had to win it

samsam4087
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM

Yes, well said.

:worship::worship::worship:

Pasta-Na
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM
frannys a good player. :rolleyes:

ClijstersGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM
frannys a good player. :rolleyes:

This can be said about any top 30 player. Good players usually don't win slams.

This is not entirely true. 8 years have passed and people are still joking about Johansson winning a slam.

Marionated
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
She was playing her first slam final. She could have let the occasion to get to her and put in a horror show like others have done. She didn't.
She played inspired tennis to beat the player who took out Henin and Williams.

She deserved to win!

Hian
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
Schiavone doesn't deserve her Slam, I mean she's got a great mentality, but I hate the players that only win because of their mentalities ehem Wozniacki ehem, because Schiavone's game is SHIT, she adds spin and... adds spin. Besides she had a lot of luck in Roland Garros, Sam deserved much more the title... :sad: If only it had been a Stosur-Dementieva final :sad:

W-What? Franny's game a shit?
What about going to a doctor for you eyes? I mean... you have some problems if you say that.
:lol:

mauresmofan
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:08 AM
Fran executed a flawless gameplan in the final and played her socks off to get there - if you only have one opportunity to win a major and you can embrace that challenge and play like that then congrats to you because you deserve it and there's nothing flukey about that - there wasn't one match she competed in that you could say she fluked a win - her first round was tricky but that's when the experience from all the years of playing comes to the fore and she used that there after that she executed game plan after game plan to expose her opponents weaknesses and capture the title - dropping 1 set in a slam is fairly dominant by anyones standards so if domination can be called flukey you better start making threads about Serena Williams flukey GS performances next.

Hian
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM

No :lol:
1 Slam > 0 Slam
And I say that as a fan of Lena :D

ClijstersGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
No :lol:
1 Slam > 0 Slam
And I say that as a fan of Lena :D

Of course 1 > 0 only an idiot would deny that. But this is a manipulative argument. Schiavone has almost nothing else on her resume, while Dementieva's achievements are multiple and overall much better. She has an Olimpic gold (which for some people is as good as a slam), multiple slam finals and semifinals, Fed Cup wins, high winning percentage, many top 10 wins, multiple wins against Serena, big achievements on all surfaces ... and bangs. :D

narutos
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Of course 1 > 0 only an idiot would deny that. But this is a manipulative argument. Schiavone has almost nothing else on her resume, while Dementieva's achievements are multiple and overall much better. She has an Olimpic gold (which for some people is as good as a slam), multiple slam finals and semifinals, Fed Cup wins, high winning percentage, many top 10 wins, multiple wins against Serena, big achievements on all surfaces ... and bangs. :D

I love the multiple wins against Serena that doesn't mean anything it's just one H2H and I'm pretty sure Serena lead the H2H despite the fact she tanked every match against Elena out of Majors.:help:

LudwigDvorak
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Sam played pretty well. Fran had the perfect strategy. It actually was a riveting final with two different styles. And most ppl and analysts so far have agreed. Fran played spectacular tennis.

Stosur did not play pretty well. She missed shots she had been making all tournament and her tactics were completely lost in translation.

Schiavone played well.

ClijstersGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
I love the multiple wins against Serena that doesn't mean anything it's just one H2H and I'm pretty sure Serena lead the H2H despite the fact she tanked every match against Elena out of Majors.:help:

Of course they don't mean a thing. Having a close H2H with the best player of this generation is clearly irrelevant. :shrug:

Aaron.
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Of course 1 > 0 only an idiot would deny that. But this is a manipulative argument. Schiavone has almost nothing else on her resume, while Dementieva's achievements are multiple and overall much better. She has an Olimpic gold (which for some people is as good as a slam), multiple slam finals and semifinals, Fed Cup wins, high winning percentage, many top 10 wins, multiple wins against Serena, big achievements on all surfaces ... and bangs. :D This.

Deck
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
so what?

Acinolbaj
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
Schiavone, Stosur, Kvitova, Zvonareva, Pironkova....all those playersīs slam road was only a fluke. next year all will get positions were they belong because I doubt they will defend those points.

narutos
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM
Of course they don't mean a thing. Having a close H2H with the best player of this generation is clearly irrelevant. :shrug:

At the end of the day only titles matters.

ViennaCalling
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM

What a load of shit :spit: