PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams is the only thing standing between the WTA and a global meltdown

chuvack
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Yesterday, the WTA finally paid the piper for "Generation Suck" and the flops of all the new "star" WTA players over the past several years.

Two complete no-names are in the Wimby semi's, and if Serena hadn't come up big and beaten Li yesterday, the Wimby champion would have been (and may still be) even more unknown than RG's Schiavone.

This Wimby shows that the "Big 5" of the Williams, the Belgians, and Sharapova can no longer be counted on to drive the tour. Consistent new young WTA stars are needed, and not merely flash in the pan, no-name, one-off performances at the Slams. WTA is thanking its lucky stars right now that they have still got Serena.

garson
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Who could have thought that Serena is the only one left from top 10 seed before Wimby's final this year? This is almost like US Open 2009, which 2 unseeded players advanced to the semifinal round. What has been wrong with lots of Top 10 seeds lately? They are supposed to be the ones that held on strong just like the men or something wrong with WTA ranking system. :confused:

Does it look like it sets up easily for Serena to win this year's Wimbledon? Do you think Petra Kvitova can pick a good fight? Hmmm :rolleyes:

Vera Zvonareva - hmmm? :confused:

G.

tievae
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:11 AM
:worship: Rena the Queena :bowdown:

homogenius
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
:yawn:

SVK
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM
You all thinking that WTA is a hot mess now - go watching boring ATP if you want always the same QF/SF lineups with players with names ..if you will be lucky, you will have the same maybe for next 300 years - that´s what you want, no?:yawn:

perseus2006
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I cannot agree with that proposition.

The "two complete no names" are from the pool of "new young WTA stars". you are getting your wish, why so sour about it? Who knows what these players will go on to do?

A Wimbledon Final between Petra and Vera/Sveti would be fantastic! A fitting end to miserable Wimbledon Finals where one player sets the other up to win it. What the WTA is thankful for is that won't happen this year.

Perhaps some people have been living under a rock, but for most of the last two to three years the Belgians and Sharapova were not on tour for various reasons or among the walking wounded.

Slutiana
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
You all thinking that WTA is a hot mess now - go watching boring ATP if you want always the same QF/SF lineups with players with names ..if you will be lucky, you will have the same maybe for next 300 years - that´s what you want, no?:yawn:
Well, you know, people can harp on about how it's great that the tour has become 'unpredictable' or whatever but the bottom line is, a lot of people watch tennis for the tennis. I'm not saying the semis will be and i'll be happy if they're not, but the two WTA semifinals could turn out to be complete blowouts and then Serena would rape the winner in the final. As a Serena fan I love the idea of that, but as a tennis fan I really, really don't.

You can call the ATP 'boring' for having all the top players playing each other at the big tournaments, but at the end of the day that's what leads to quality matches and rivalrys which really elevate the popularity of the sport. On the WTA the top players meet about once or twice a year if they're lucky. The highest ranked matchup so far this year is (1)S.Williams vs (5)Dementieva. It's just not good.

And most of my favourite players are ranked outside of the top 50 and i'm not against upsets and new names breaking through, but there's no stability in the tour. What has MJMS done since she won Rome? What has Rezai done since she won Madrid?

StephenUK
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM
The rest of the top 10 have completely fallen away since the clay court season. The No 2 ranking is a complete joke, none of them deserves it.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
isnt this getting a bit boring now? the tour is not in meltdown, there is nothing wrong with it.

the press seem to have a better opinion of the tour with schiavone winning a slam and now some "unknowns" making it far at wimby as well. its actually good for the tour.

stop with the whole "omg the tour is dead" deal with it

SVK
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Of course you´re right on this point with no stability I just think some (many) people are overreacting just because their favourites doesn´t doing well this time...1. Someone is whining when Wozniacki makes GS final 2. Someone is whining when Williams sisters doesn´t win a grandslam - and some when there is all Williams final 3. Someone is whining when there is a random GS SF (though girl has a game) 4. They are whining because there is a GS final between two not very feminine looking players(:spit::weirdo:) and more...there is just always someone who think that WTA is a hot mess right now...and why? Many times just because: 1. Their favourites (especially Williams sisters fans) are not doing well 2. Players which they don´t like are doing well (mostly Woznaicki´s haters)

I just noticed it at US Open last year and now when many posts about "how big mess is WTA now" went from the Williams sisters fans

mk27
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
And most of my favourite players are ranked outside of the top 50 and i'm not against upsets and new names breaking through, but there's no stability in the tour. What has MJMS done since she won Rome? What has Rezai done since she won Madrid?

That's a good point. We will see if Pironkova or Kvitova will win anything big in the next months. Kvitova has only won 3 maindraw matches since March before Wimbledon. Pironkova lost in the qualifying of Eastbourne before Wimbledon.

There are too many players who have one good tournament, but then won't win anything in the next months. That's why Jankovic will be number 2 in the world after Wimbledon.

madlove
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
oh cmon.. deal with it. these players could be your next henin, clijsters or sharapova.

Tennisation
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM
The rest of the top 10 have completely fallen away since the clay court season. The No 2 ranking is a complete joke, none of them deserves it.Which #2 ranked player is a complete joke? The current one or the one next week? Oh fuck it, they're both a complete joke :o

madmax
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yesterday, the WTA finally paid the piper for "Generation Suck" and the flops of all the new "star" WTA players over the past several years.

Two complete no-names are in the Wimby semi's, and if Serena hadn't come up big and beaten Li yesterday, the Wimby champion would have been (and may still be) even more unknown than RG's Schiavone.

This Wimby shows that the "Big 5" of the Williams, the Belgians, and Sharapova can no longer be counted on to drive the tour. Consistent new young WTA stars are needed, and not merely flash in the pan, no-name, one-off performances at the Slams. WTA is thanking its lucky stars right now that they have still got Serena.

and all of this chaos could be easily avoided if belgians and Sharapova were seeded not according to their rank, but using a common sense..just look at what happened to Sunshine's quarter and you'll understand that Wimby SHOULD have done something to prevent 4th round between Maria and Serena - that would be only beneficial for the tour