PDA

View Full Version : When will Maria reach the top 10?

s_j
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It's been over a year since her comeback and she still hasn't managed to reach the top 10. After Wimbledon she will be at #15. I think her highest has been #12. (Correct me if I'm wrong). She needs a good draw to earn some easy points in the big tournaments, but now she's also playing well and we've seen she can take it to the big players. So will Maria end the year inside the top 10?

Rafito.
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:54 AM
During the Us Open Series.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Immediately after the US Open. She did reasonably well in LA, Stanford, and Canada so there isn't room for enough improvement to make the Top 10 unless she were to completely dominate.

I'm banking on her to be in the #12 seeding draw and drawing a #5-8 seed in the R16 with my prediction.

Caralenko
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I think "When will she beat a top 40 player?" would be a better question. http://i48.tinypic.com/iv8p5f.gif

Cakeisgood
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Sadly, she'll probably make top 10 before beating a top 40 player :lol:

If she plays Bali, she has a great shot to end 2010 in the top 10 and start the next year off right.

Tennisation
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I think "When will she beat a top 40 player?" would be a better question. http://i48.tinypic.com/iv8p5f.gif
:spit:

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM

When will Safina beat a top 100 player again? :shrug:

Caralenko
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
When will Safina beat a top 100 player again? :shrug:

Probably never, what's your point? :lol:

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Probably never, what's your point? :lol:

Who said I had one. :weirdo: :lol:

perseus2006
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Immediately after the US Open. She did reasonably well in LA, Stanford, and Canada so there isn't room for enough improvement to make the Top 10 unless she were to completely dominate.

I'm banking on her to be in the #12 seeding draw and drawing a #5-8 seed in the R16 with my prediction.

I pretty much agree with your prediction. Pova will need to earn at least 1100 ranking points in the US Open Series to cover her 820 points from last year and gain a few hundred points on the pack to get into the 9-12 seed group for the Open. A very doable task in one Premier and two Premier 5 tournaments.

Winning all three tournaments and a little good luck would see her in the 4-8 seed group for the Open. But as questionable as the result is, the "good" luck aspect is even more improbable!

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I'm going to quote what someone said in her player forum:
Three tournaments for the US Open Series is the same as last year. About 15 potential matches to sharpen her instincts and anticipation and hone her groundies and serve. Pova seems serious about being a contender at the US Open.

Pova will have a week off between Stanford and Cincinnati but Cincinnati and Montreal go back to back. Then there is a week off between Montreal and the US Open. Five weeks of tennis in a seven week period; that's a lot of tennis for Pova!

There is a maximum of 2270 ranking points for winning all three. Last year Pova played Stanford for 120 points, L.A. for 200 and Toronto for 500. So, overall, she is defending 820 points in the US Open Series.

If the players remain close to the same order as they are now (they won't but one has to start somewhere) Pova needs to earn at least 1100 points in the Series to get in the 9-12 seeding group for the Open. This is a very doable task.

She would have to win all three tournaments and hope for some "good" luck to make it into the 4-8 group. The probability is not high for this result.

So, if Maria keeps playing good tennis...being in the top 10 is very possible before the US Open.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking 2011 after a better run at the AO. ;)

Protoss
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:01 AM
As of the end of tuesday's matches, she'll be #29 with 1290 points in the new YEC race standings when they come out on next monday. :shrug:

narutos
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
She is healthy so I'm not worried not at all.

Sharapowerr
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM

The was she was playing against Serena, she ll beat easily all the other top 10 players..

Steven.
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Masha has been loving her difficult slam draws.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Maria actually has quite a lot of ranking points to defend during the US Hardcourt season, more than most of the players around her.

Having said that, Maria does seem to be making progress. Even so I still think a top 10 ranking will have to wait until next year.

GrandMartha
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM

I don't understand why some people always bring up the crap "Sharapova hasn't beaten a top40 player". Sorry I don't buy this bullshit. Yes, shes had some unnecessary losses this year but if you put the likes of Jankovic, Wozniacki, Radwanska,Schiavone, Stosur, even Clijsters in front of her, she'll beat them most of the times :shrug:

Foot's Fingers
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:51 AM
after US open

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM
During the Us open Series Imo

StephenUK
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I think she will be top 10 by the end of the US Open, it depends on draws. She looks in better shape than most of the current top 10. She has been unlucky in the slams so far or she would undoubtedly be there already.

heart
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
after playing bali:)

madmax
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Before US Open, probably after Cincinnati

Jajaloo
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM
When the 5 other people in front of her retire from professional tennis.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Not this year. She's defending lots of points in Toronto and Tokyo and I doubt she will gain much in US Open and Beijing.

Reptilia
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
After the US open

SoClose
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
During the Us Open Series.

:yeah:

Ferg
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Wheres the 'She probably never will again' option?

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
When she will be in TOP-10 is not important at all. More important is the fact that Sharapova will be in Doha at the end of October and most probably will win the title

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
When she will be in TOP-10 is not important at all. More important is the fact that Sharapova will be in Doha at the end of October and most probably will win the title

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/RaceToSECSingles/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

:wavey:

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/RaceToSECSingles/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

:wavey:
Have a look at that in October...

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Have a look at that in October...

She has 1290 points so far (including Wimby). You really think she will get 3000 more (at least, probably closer to 3500 will be needed) in the remaining part of the season ? This is close to impossible.

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
She has 1290 points so far (including Wimby). You really think she will get 3000 more (at least, probably closer to 3500 will be needed) in the remaining part of the season ? This is close to impossible.
She'll do it.

RenaSlam.
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hopefully Maria and Justine are inside the Top 8 by the time the U.S. Open comes around.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
The was she was playing against Serena, she ll beat easily all the other top 10 players..

problem is maria seems to up her game against serena/jh then can't reproduce the same form against others consistently :shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I don't understand why some people always bring up the crap "Sharapova hasn't beaten a top40 player". Sorry I don't buy this bullshit. Yes, shes had some unnecessary losses this year but if you put the likes of Jankovic, Wozniacki, Radwanska,Schiavone, Stosur, even Clijsters in front of her, she'll beat them most of the times :shrug:

she's not beating the top 40 players to even get to those players...so how is that "not beating a top 40 player" irrelevant to you :lol:

Craig.
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM
problem is maria seems to up her game against serena/jh then can't reproduce the same form against others consistently :shrug:

She doesn't really need to against the Karatantchevas of this world.

noamgdi
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:43 PM
after the US open

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
She is still recovering. We have not seen Maria go thru a difficult draw. She has gone thru some mickey mouse draws.
Its different to play good players, go 3 long sets a few times, and then beat top 10 players late in the draw.

Thats what I want to see. Beating Barrois and Arvidsson in finals, is much easier.

shega
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hopefully Maria and Justine are inside the Top 8 by the time the U.S. Open comes around.

Hopefully. :lick:

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM

She does, if she wants to win anything more than just some MM events.

Craig.
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM
She does, if she wants to win anything more than just some MM events.

That's why I said 'against the Karantantchevas of this world'. Top 20-10 players are a different story as we all know.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM

yes that would make a difference if she were easily dispatching the karantanchevas of the world consistently and making it deep into every tournament like when she got the name semipova

atm she loses to the first consistent player or scrapes pass them, ups her game against serena/jh, loses, then goes back to the same inconsistent play

homogenius
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:05 PM

The Willams, JJ, Stosur, Schiavone, Henin, Wozniacki are more or less a sure lock for the YEC and Kim will probably qualified too (if not her Li or Lena etc...). it's unliekely to see Maria there unless several players get injured.

madmax
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
The Willams, JJ, Stosur, Schiavone, Henin, Wozniacki are more or less a sure lock for the YEC and Kim will probably qualified too (if not her Li or Lena etc...). it's unliekely to see Maria there unless several players get injured.

how is it unlikely for her to gather plenty of points in the upcoming HC season? This is the time of the year when she shines on those american and asian hardcourts - I see no reason why she wouldn't improve her results from last year

narutos
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM
how is it unlikely for her to gather plenty of points in the upcoming HC season? This is the time of the year when she shines on those american and asian hardcourts - I see no reason why she wouldn't improve her results from last year

Dont bother seriously Maria improves mentally and physically tourney after tourney just a matter of time before she reached top 10 again I can see her winning one of three tourney she is gonna play after Wimbledon.
She is healthy and playing well I don't know how things could turn wrong atm.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Considering the amount of points she has to defend, maybe next year. She will finsh this season 11 or 12 just on the verge of top10. Hope she proves me wrong. :)

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Ignoring the facts of course gives an opportunity to discuss stupidities like "Maria beating the top 40 player".
In reality during 2010 Maria lost only once in normal circumstances against not so high ranking player - against Kirilenko at AO.
The other lost matches:
- against Zheng Lie Maria was injured;
- against Safarova Maria played having only one week training (an injury did allow her to train);
- against Henin (Henin is at least TOP-10 if not a TOP-5 player) Maria played well and had chances to win
- against Li Na (Birmingham was a preparation tournament for Maria and winning at all costs was not a task. On the contrary the main task was to go to Wimbledon in good health. That's why Maria was all smiles after losing the final)
- against Serena (Number One player) Maria played very well and in reality that match was like the Wimbledon final
So, all discussions about "Maria beating the top 40 player"are in reality based on one real (Kirilenko) and one half real (Li Na) loss.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Ignoring the facts of course gives an opportunity to discuss stupidities like "Maria beating the top 40 player".
In reality during 2010 Maria lost only once in normal circumstances against not so high ranking player - against Kirilenko at AO.
The other lost matches:
- against Zheng Lie Maria was injured;
- against Safarova Maria played having only one week training (an injury did allow her to train);
- against Henin (Henin is at least TOP-10 if not a TOP-5 player) Maria played well and had chances to win
- against Li Na (Birmingham was a preparation tournament for Maria and winning at all costs was not a task. On the contrary the main task was to go to Wimbledon in good health. That's why Maria was all smiles after losing the final)
- against Serena (Number One player) Maria played very well and in reality that match was like the Wimbledon final
So, all discussions about "Maria beating the top 40 player"are in reality based on one real (Kirilenko) and one half real (Li Na) loss.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

homogenius
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM

She could win big points but I don't think it will be enough to be in the top8 and play the YEC.

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
facts, facts, facts....

madmax
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
facts, facts, facts....

:worship::worship::worship:

Ferg
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Y'all sounding like those Rafatards. He can never lose either, he always has an exscuse.

slamchamp
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Focus on your fave insteading of hating so much on maria cause she doesn't have much on time on tour left:shrug:

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Focus on your fave insteading of hating so much on maria cause she doesn't have much on time on tour left:shrug:

I don't have a fave, I'm not even a fan of any player. I just like tennis in general, ATP and WTA.
And I'm not hating on Maria, she's totally indifferent to me. I'm just stating the obvious facts, that it will be nearly impossible for Maria to reach the top 8 at year end, considering her ranking points and recent form.

narutos
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I don't have a fave, I'm not even a fan of any player. I just like tennis in general, ATP and WTA.
And I'm not hating on Maria, she's totally indifferent to me. I'm just stating the obvious facts, that it will be nearly impossible for Maria to reach the top 8 and year end, considering her ranking points and recent form.

Her recent form has been amazing so I don't what you are talking about. She seems to play a lot better in majors now she just have a 3rd to defend at US there is clearly bunch of points to take.

ClijstersGOAT
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Her recent form has been amazing so I don't what you are talking about. She seems to play a lot better in majors now she just have a 3rd to defend at US there is clearly bunch of points to take.

Amazing ? :lol:

Clearly Maria fans (I'm assuming you are one) must be the most deluded fans on this whole forum.

madmax
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM

her form is still far from amazing, but it wasn't amazing last year as well...that didn't stop her from winning Tier I and reaching the final of another though:lol:

Craig.
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM

Clearly Maria fans (I'm assuming you are one) must be the most deluded fans on this whole forum.

Nope, that's just Mashafaaaaaaaan.

narutos
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM

I was assuming at Majors not outside of course:lol:

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I'm just stating the obvious facts, that it will be nearly impossible for Maria to reach the top 8 at year end, considering her ranking points and recent form.
For your information Maria many times did things which many thought are impossible.
Maria just proved many people wrong. She became the first tennis player in the world to recover from rotator cuff injury & surgery. No one before her was able to recover from such injury and serve like before the injury or even better.
So do not be surprised if she'll prove you wrong as well.
:)

slamchamp
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Nope, that's just Mashafaaaaaaaan.live mashafaaaan alone:ras: He's a fun troll..which poster is he now?:secret:

Belmont Lad
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hopefully the hard court/indoor seasons which make up the remainder of the year will yield some good results and a return to the top 10 for Maria. It will be tight though, a lot of players will be fighting for those places.

SymphonyX
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:12 AM
After the US Open series. If the organizers, god willing, won't make Maria face Serena, Kim, Justine or Venus until the quarters or semis, she'll get plenty of points. I'm sure she'll make it deep. Just play like she did against Serena in Wimbledon and she'll make porkchops out of the other players.

claypova
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:24 AM
after watching the FO and Wimbleon, she has a great chance. all she needs is a cakewalk-iosh draw at the US open and she'll reach top 10. othrwise, she must ait next year

homogenius
Sep 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Dont bother seriously Maria improves mentally and physically tourney after tourney just a matter of time before she reached top 10 again I can see her winning one of three tourney she is gonna play after Wimbledon.
She is healthy and playing well I don't know how things could turn wrong atm.

:sobbing: :tape:

ClijstersGOAT
Apr 4th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Bump :D

Took more than most of her fans expected.

toby345
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM
F*cking 4th of April 2011 :hearts:

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM
took long enough...

Mrs. Dimitrova
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
FINALLY. Case closed.

cypher_88
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
now for the top 5...