PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, Who Gives A Crap About "The Grass Slam"?

meteor
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:27 PM
i mean, is this slam supposed to mean something? sure, it's the culmination of the "grass" season but, please, bear in mind that this season lasts all of four weeks (including two for sw19). shouldn't we be bothered more about slams (like the fo and the ao and the uso), which are the finales of surfaces 99% of the players actually LIKE to play in?

i don't know, let me put it this way. fine, somebody will win this crapshoot in a couple of days. what bearing does that have on the rest of the season? anything?

look, it's almost as if i decided to have a "carpet" slam in my backyard because, after all, carpet is also a surface. but, i'm sure you'll agree, carpet is just marginally a MORE (!) popular surface than grass. like lendl said, grass is for cows. i agree with that sentiment, not because he could never win it, but because it's easily the least popular surface on tour.

Otlichno
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I give a crap about the Grass Slam.

I give a crap about the slam that is on the surface and the location of the beginnings of tennis.

...Seriously :p

Direwolf
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I agree with OP

Lucemferre
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sour grapes:lol::help:

young_gunner913
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I'm dying at all the bitterness going on in GM. :drool:

Gdsimmons
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Bitter much?

Optima
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Co-sign. I like Wimbledon, and in theory I should love it, but I always find it boring.

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
i mean, is this slam supposed to mean something? sure, it's the culmination of the "grass" season but, please, bear in mind that this season lasts all of four weeks (including two for sw19). shouldn't we be bothered more about slams (like the fo and the ao and the uso), which are the finales of surfaces 99% of the players actually LIKE to play in?

i don't know, let me put it this way. fine, somebody will win this crapshoot in a couple of days. what bearing does that have on the rest of the season? anything?

look, it's almost as if i decided to have a "carpet" slam in my backyard because, after all, carpet is also a surface. but, i'm sure you'll agree, carpet is just marginally a MORE (!) popular surface than grass. like lendl said, grass is for cows. i agree with that sentiment, not because he could never win it, but because it's easily the least popular surface on tour.

I agree with OP

Exactly how much money did you two lose betting on Venus today?

Slutati
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2m5chvs.gif

Sean.
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Make sure you let us know when your backyard carpet slam has being going 133 years. Ok? :)

égalité
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry, did you just say, "Who gives a crap about Wimbledon?" :spit: :haha:

hurricanejeanne
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Last time I checked "that grass slam" was like the holy grail of tennis.

Mina Vagante
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Are you talking about the most famous tennis tournament in the world !?!?!? :spit:

Ferg
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM
MTF trolls :hearts:

Volcana
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM
99% of the tennis world.

It's the oldest tournament, where the game originated. In fact, through most of the history of the sport, 75% of the tournament were played on grass. The prevalence of hard courts is a relatively recent thing. But they are less costly to maintain.

I'm sure there are other 'late to the sport' fans, who don't bother examining it's history, who wonder why the big W continues to held in such importance by the players and the vast majority of the fans. You should all get together and have a beer.

Me, I'm going to watch all I can, even though it's tough cause I'm in the office these days when the matches are played. I'd like to see Serena win, but a Kvitova/Pironkova final would be no bad thing. And Zvonareva winning it all would a triumph for a skilled player who's suffered a lot of adversity.

Arguments similar to your could be applied to the Olympics. 'It only happens every four years', 'all these obscure sports', 'does anybody really care', etc etc

meyerpl
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
:lol:

Great thread.

Now, go to an NFL message board and start a thread titled, "Who gives a crap about the lombardi Trophy", an NHL message board and post, "Who gives a crap about Lord Stanley's Cup", an MLP message board and post, "Who gives a crap about the World Series" and a soccer message board and post, "Who gives a crap about the World Cup."

jefrilibra
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I give a crap about the grass season.

It's your opinion that I dont give a crap about!

Vlover
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:37 PM
The players who are capable of winning it and those who would love to win it and come out of retirement to try and win it. Try as you may your opinion can never diminish the importance of the most coveted title in tennis.:lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Great thread.

Now, go to an NFL message board and start a thread titled, "Who gives a crap about the lombardi Trophy", an NHL message board and post, "Who gives a crap about Lord Stanley's Cup", an MLP message board and post, "Who gives a crap about the World Series" and a soccer message board and post, "Who gives a crap about the World Cup."

yup

meteor
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Are you talking about the most famous tennis tournament in the world !?!?!? :spit:

no. that would be the french open. wimbledon is only popular among some old british guys who are too insecure to have any player wear anything other than white :lol:.

Otlichno
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
no. that would be the french open. wimbledon is only popular among some old british guys who are too insecure to have any player wear anything other than white :lol:.

:weirdo::smash: Are you on something? :confused:

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:48 PM
More than likely, he's off something (Valium, Ritalin, Mescaline, take your pick). ;)

meteor
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:53 PM
people, honestly, how can you take this so-called "slam" seriously? after all, they make everyone dress in white! what kind of nonsensical tradition is that?

at any rate, i understand the ws fans love this slam. but, surprise, surprise, that's no reason for the rest of us to even care mildly about a "slam" that culminates the shortest "surface" (if you can actually call grass a "surface") period in the whole calendar.

anyway, yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn. grass sucks. give me clay any time (ooops, i'm sorry, that's the least popular surface of the ws, right? my, how transparent you guys can get!).

Otlichno
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:56 PM
people, honestly, how can you take this so-called "slam" seriously? after all, they make everyone dress in white! what kind of nonsensical tradition is that?

at any rate, i understand the ws fans love this slam. but, surprise, surprise, that's no reason for the rest of us to even care mildly about a "slam" that culminates the shortest "surface" (if you can actually call grass a "surface") period in the whole calendar.

anyway, yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn. grass sucks. give me clay any time (ooops, i'm sorry, that's the least popular surface of the ws, right? my, how transparent you guys can get!).

Must you assume we all base our opinions on the WS sisters!? Wimbledon is the most prestigious tournament in Tennis! As simple as that!

Whether you want to believe it or not makes absolutely no difference! :lol:

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM

Make sure you clear all the cookies before your mom gets home. You know she told you to stay off the computer while she's at work.

égalité
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
You're not nearly as good a troll as Serenidad. :tears:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM

you mean the tournament jh came back to win because it was missing from her tally??

or maybe you're referring to the tournament clay king nadal said was the most important tournament ever

or maybe it's the tournament that had been going on for way over a century

Otlichno
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
:( I missed the good days of Sweet Cleo and his awesome trolls. :bigcry: It's so saddening that I now have to bear with this stuff!

omoruyi
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
i dont give a crap about the 'grass season' since there is no longer such a thing. ~ :o

But Wimbledon is tennis, which i happen to enjoy so...:shrug:

Kworb
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I agree, the tournament is behind the times and nothing but a regular Premier event these days.

Dodoboy.
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2m5chvs.gif

Gurlllllll
http://i47.tinypic.com/f1coqv.gif

MegaDethly
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM
ur shit

swim4life227
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
By that logic then we shouldn't care about Australia either as that slam is only the championship of a hard court season that's been going on less than 4 weeks.

bbjpa
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Be glad the balls aren't white anymore so there's a hope someday white dressing will be history too :lol:

Calypso
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:52 PM

1. Either your favorite sucks on grass...
2. OR you don't know a lot about tennis history, its roots and traditions...
3. OR you don't appreciate the contrast that grass-court tennis brings.
4. You're better off asking for the grass-court season to be prolonged than bashing the oldest, most revered tournament in the world;)
5. Lendl only said that because he won f*** all at SW19

Stamp Paid
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM
The bitterness is giving me so much life!!!
http://i47.tinypic.com/icipsz.gif

Libertango
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:26 PM
:tape:

tonybotz
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
to the majority of the world, Wimbledon is the only tennis event worth noting. it makes front page news, and everyone aspires to win the big W.
this thread is delusional.

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:19 PM

yeah, i'm on the truth :lol:!

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Great thread.

i would agree with you if you were correct, but you are DEAD WRONG! all the american sports you mentioned have JUST ONE climax. tennis, however, has four. and, like i said before, this is the least worthwhile. to give you an example, how would you feel if your baseball team won their division, but still lost. or didn't even make it, to the world series? like i said, wimbledon is a nothing slam, designed to make americans with big serves (i.e. sampras and the ws) happy.

volta
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:29 PM
i would agree with you if you were correct, but you are DEAD WRONG! all the american sports you mentioned have JUST ONE climax. tennis, however, has four. and, like i said before, this is the least worthwhile. to give you an example, how would you feel if your baseball team won their division, but still lost. or didn't even make it, to the world series? like i said, wimbledon is a nothing slam, designed to make americans with big serves (i.e. sampras and the ws) happy.

Uh Uh, they were clearly thinking about the Americans when they came up with a tournament named Wimbledon ...

go ahead Nostradamus don't let them fool you

Joe.
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
This thread is stupid. :rolleyes: Everyone who calls themselves a tennis fan should care about Wimbledon. It's the most prestigious Tennis tournament in the world. If you don't care about Wimbledon then you obviously don't care about tennis.

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Uh Uh, they were clearly thinking about the Americans when they came up with a tournament named Wimbledon ...

go ahead Nostradamus don't let them fool you

wow, you are so stupid :lol:.

volta
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
wow, you are so stupid :lol:.

that's just rude sir

LudwigDvorak
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The OP is a troll, but I seriously worry about the image of Wimbledon for the next generation. I wonder if it will lose some of its prestige when its filled with more upsets than Roland Garros.

vadin124
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Yes because absolutely no one cares about the only tennis tournament in the world that is universally recognised worldwide. I'm 100% sure that unless you're from South America, any tennis player would give their right arm to be Wimbledon champion, as that title gives you historical significance. No one will remember you who isn't a tennis fan if you've got an AO, RG or USO title under your best.

Seriously, pathetic and bitter thread really. It shouldn't strictly be justified with responses, but I couldn't resist.

Wimbledon is, and will forever be, the greatest tournament in the world. Get over it. It isn't an opinion, it's fact. The lack of representation on the tour which the surface that it's played on gets is irrelevant.

sammy01
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
glorified tier 3

Black Dog
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM

Come on, don't be silly, which other Gand Slam offers you full nude's of this quality:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/covers/2009/6/18/1245347396421/Wimbledon-streaker-001.jpg
(If you're a man, you might enjoy this one)

http://www.gratiswinks.org/wimbledon-streaker.jpg
(If you're a woman, this one is made for you)

sammy01
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Come on, don't be silly, which other Gand Slam offers you full nude's of this quality:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/covers/2009/6/18/1245347396421/Wimbledon-streaker-001.jpg
(If you're a man, you might enjoy this one)

http://www.gratiswinks.org/wimbledon-streaker.jpg
(If you're a woman, this one is made for you)

think more guys on this forum would be looking at the bottom one.

John.
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Is this thread for real :unsure:

Wimbledon = tennis

Black Dog
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
think more guys on this forum would be looking at the bottom one.

Oh, my bad then. :D

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Exactly how much money did you two lose betting on Venus today?

Money and darrinbaker :rolleyes:

edificio
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM

Are you talking about Wimbledon? If Wimbledon is a crapshoot then how is RG not also?

You might be surprised about how many players actually like grass. Even the Spanish men players have gone to the grass side, no?

Gdsimmons
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Anytime the word SLAM is connected to a tennis tournament, I think its pretty important. Just sayin :shrug::shrug:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Rafa can save Wimbledon this year

DragonFlame
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I didnt like ANY match this year at wimbledon. It has been a total snoozefest really, with a lot of mediocre below par play.

The french open and Australian open were WAY more interesting. Its not like that every year, but surely this year wimbledon has been way below par on the woman's side. Its been unbearable really.

SymphonyX
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:07 AM
Looks like some people lost their money betting on Venus and Kim. Hahahaha. Suckers.

tennisforadults
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:18 AM
I didnt like ANY match this year at wimbledon. It has been a total snoozefest really, with a lot of mediocre below par play.

The french open and Australian open were WAY more interesting. Its not like that every year, but surely this year wimbledon has been way below par on the woman's side. Its been unbearable really.

I have to agree I find the Wimby matches not of a great standard compared to those at the French and Aussie Opens this year. The upsets are mostly caused by great players playing poorly, as opposed to the opponents playing sublime tennis to triumph.

That said, Wimbledon will always be Wimbledon. It's THE holy grail of tennis.

gmokb
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:22 AM
You got to be joking.:eek: Wimbledon is the beginning and the end of tennis. Every pro tennis player wants to win this one. Those who claim otherwise are lying because their game suck on grass. Heck, Justine came back because she has never won this.