PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova and Hingis discuss their careers, future prospects and the SEWTA

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
M. Hingis & A. Kournikova - 29 June 2010
Tuesday, 29 June 2010
Q. What made you decide to come and play here?

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Uhm, well, we were talking with Martina about summer plans, what she was doing, what I was doing and stuff. She told me she was going to be around here in Europe, Grand Slams, doing Grand Slams here in Europe, then she was going to play TeamTennis, which I'm also playing. We just came up with the idea. We thought it was a really good opportunity.

Especially for me personally it's an amazing opportunity to be back at Wimbledon, my favorite grass courts. I haven't been here since 2002. I'm not getting any younger. So this is probably my last chance to play here, just to experience, uhm, being on the court with much less pressure than when you play professional.

Playing with Martina, I mean, I think we just picked it up today where we left off eight years ago. Last time I played was eight years ago. I had so much fun today. Kind of jittery a little bit. You don't know how everything is going to go. But I had an amazing time.

Q. Anna, we see a Grand Slam winner, a Russian going very deep. Russians have had a huge impact on the modern game. Kafelnikov played a role, Maria. When you reflect, what do you think your impact was on Russian tennis?

MARTINA HINGIS: Huge (laughter).

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: You mean my personal impact?

Q. Yes.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: You know, I mean, it's nice. It's kind of a compliment. But honestly I don't really look at it that way. I don't want to take any credit.

MARTINA HINGIS: You should, and you have to. You look at Anna, you have the opportunities.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It was all about the timing also. I was kind of the first one after the Soviet Union, you know, to leave outside of Russia, to be able to practice in better circumstances, in a better environment, to go to the academy at a young age.

Before that, we still had great players. We had Likhovtseva, Makarova, who were top 20, 30, 50. They were there. They just weren't as noticeable. We always had an amazing tennis school and clubs in Russia. It's just the opportunities never were really there when it was still the Soviet Union for them to travel. Everything was controlled by the Federation.

I think once people and the kids and the parents saw I was the first one to kind of get out, they realized that there is that opportunity to be able to travel, to be able to go outside and compete internationally. I'm looking at all our girls. I'm so proud. It's so cool they're able to showcase their talents, they're able to travel, they're able to make a great living, to do what they love to do, keep all of their prize money. During Soviet Union, you had to share all of it with the Federation and everybody.

I'm just so proud of the girls. They worked their asses off. Tennis is a grind. I think women in general don't get enough credit. It's a full‑time job, it's 24/7. You're week in, week out on the road for 10, 11 months out of the year. You have no personal life. You have no home life. It's very difficult. It's not glamorous at all as a lot of people think, you know, so...

Q. Martina, obviously with your skill level and with Anna, you could go into the main draw and be competitive.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: No, not me. She could be. Me, there's no way. I mean, I'm not ready for that at all.

Q. Why not just do it?

MARTINA HINGIS: No, I don't think we would be.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: You could for sure.

MARTINA HINGIS: I haven't played that much in the last three years. For me it's less time being away. It's only three years. But still, I mean, you have to commit. The commitment is totally different.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Different mental commitment also.

MARTINA HINGIS: Being on the tour full‑time, you can't pop up and say, I'm going to come back and win Grand Slams, even if you have a great partner.

It's great fun to be out there again with Anna. We had some great times. We're sharing some good time again. Totally different ballgame.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: For me it would be impossible really physically to be on the tour. It even bothers me a little bit playing like today. I mean, it wasn't strenuous match. It was quite fun and giggly. I'm sure I'm going to feel it tomorrow and I'll be sore. Even to prepare for the specific tournament, the last two months, I've had to have therapy, like real therapy, every day for an hour, hour and a half.

This is just for kind of the fun matches. I would have to live in the trainer's room for three hours every day. I have five different things wrong with my back from two herniated discs.

MARTINA HINGIS: It's a good day off tomorrow.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: From two herniated discs to four cracks that I have. The right side is smaller than the left side.

MARTINA HINGIS: I don't want to hear it.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: All kinds of weird stuff.

Q. Do you not have any regrets when you see the Williams sisters dominating the women's game like they are? Do you wish you still could be out there challenging them?

MARTINA HINGIS: I did it. I had my comeback. I was very happy with it. I lived through all the emotions. I missed it when I was away for three years. That's why I did the comeback.

Now it's different. I'm going to be 30 years old. Like I said before, it's a commitment you have to do. You travel 35, 40 weeks a year. I think I've played enough tennis in my life. Tennis gave me everything I have today. I'm grateful every moment.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It's time to experience other things and grow and move on.

MARTINA HINGIS: Like I said, the commitment.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: The commitment's hard.

Q. With Venus going out today, do you think there are other women's players that can stop them?

MARTINA HINGIS: There are the young ones, hungry ones. It's not only the Williams sisters you have to face.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: They're triple the size and strong.

MARTINA HINGIS: You have to face every day, every hour. Like I said, it's not only like going out there getting the glamour, the glitter. Playing on Centre Court. It's six, eight hours of practice at home. Then you get the glitter and glamour at the end of the day.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It's only for the top 10, the glitter and glamour, it's only the top 10 that can have a nice lifestyle.

MARTINA HINGIS: It's when I was young, 15, 16, you get on the tour, you're young, fresh, hungry.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Everything is new, you're excited.

MARTINA HINGIS: When you get older, you have different priorities, lifestyle changes.

Q. Martina, are you a little bit sad when somebody like Venus has a match like today where she loses badly that most people didn't think would beat her?

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: She lost badly?

MARTINA HINGIS: 2‑3.

Q. Do you feel badly?

MARTINA HINGIS: I mean, like I said, you have to go out there. They played yesterday, played a match, then you go out there again. Grass court can take you any day.

I didn't always have the greatest moments at Wimbledon myself.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Come on. Winning is not the greatest.

MARTINA HINGIS: Next year or the year after, it was first round. It can happen to you on grass. I watched the match Clijsters‑Henin. It was so one‑sided, and Kim ends up winning that match quite comfortably. It can turn around.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: What happened today, that she lost. That's sport.

MARTINA HINGIS: Tennis, it takes you on. Like I said, I mean, they come, they go, they have big serves, different kind of game. For me, it was much more work behind the scenes than the Williams sisters. Like Serena served unbelievable yesterday. She got so many free points. I watched the second part of the Sharapova match. Nice to be back at Wimbledon and see that.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: The game has definitely changed. It's just different.

Q. You were both household names at an early age. Doesn't seem to be that many teenagers at the top. You say the game has changed. Is that the explanation?

MARTINA HINGIS: I think it's mainly because of the rules, that they have so many restrictions, which I don't always agree upon.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: I was under the restrictions.

MARTINA HINGIS: Now it's even harder.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: I could only play eight tournaments a year when I was 16.

MARTINA HINGIS: Now it's even 18 and all these age rules.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: There's got to be a balance.

MARTINA HINGIS: You always have to find, like everyone peaks at a different time. When you're younger, you learn faster. I think when you're like 18, at that time it's already harder to learn.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: You're starting to analyze more, starting to be afraid more. You're not as fearless. When you're younger, you just go out there and you don't think about the consequences and stuff like that. You're fearless.

MARTINA HINGIS: Today you see the top girl who has pretty much been around Wozniacki, under 20.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Is she under 20?

MARTINA HINGIS: 19, 20. She's there. But then you see always the older generation still being there.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It's hard to handle the pressure.

MARTINA HINGIS: I think it might be part of that, mainly the rules, the age restrictions.

Q. Could you both analyze the state of women's tennis right now, the popularity of the game, what you think it's lacking maybe.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: I think that right now there's still those amazing names: the Williams girls, Henin, Clijsters. Thank God they came back. I just think, to me personally from the outside, it looks like there's not that many household names besides those really four girls, plus Sharapova.

MARTINA HINGIS: It's quickly changing.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: A true tennis fan, he will know who Jankovic is, Wozniacki, people that are between 5 and 10.

MARTINA HINGIS: Even Ivanovic.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Before, I think it was many more household names. Hingis, Williams, Clijsters, Henin, Pierce, Sanchez, Graf, Capriati. We played in an era where I think there were many generations. There was the older generation, the medium and the younger. I think I played the late '90s. It was such a huge mix of generations and people.

But right now, anybody who is outside of top 5 or 10, a normal sportsfans, I don't think they would recognize the names of the girls, even though they're amazing and good.

MARTINA HINGIS: We just had different style. Everyone had its own style. That made it unique. Pretty much now it looks very much the same, like the hard hitting, yeah.

I think they just don't teach it anymore.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Now it's about the power.

MARTINA HINGIS: We just played a lot more tennis, so... Different way, different way of coaching I believe, you know.

Q. How does it feel to be back at a tournament?

MARTINA HINGIS: I was very much looking forward to this. Like Anna said, I played three exhibitions in England already the last three weeks, so I had some match practice.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: At least you played singles.

MARTINA HINGIS: I played Nottingham, Liverpool and Manchester. It's not in England only about the two weeks of Wimbledon. It's getting the tennis a little bit outside Wimbledon, getting it closer to the public.

Q. I mean, physically being back at a tournament after two years.

MARTINA HINGIS: Yeah, it's great, you know. It's nice to be on‑site again.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It is my first time in eight years.

MARTINA HINGIS: You played a Grand Slam?

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: No. I haven't played a singles match in like six years. The last one I played was with you in Chile or Brazil. That was my last one.

MARTINA HINGIS: Okay, wow.

Q. Anna, you did not reach a slam final. But you achieved such an incredible fame, really more than any other tennis personality. Could you talk about that. Were you surprised sometimes by your own fame?

MARTINA HINGIS: It's great we got such a great crowd again, even today.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Yeah, it's good for tennis, I guess, hopefully.

No, honestly I don't really ‑‑ I never really thought about my fame. To me when I was playing on tour, I stopped at 21, but every time before that I never really even thought about it, analyzed it, planned it. There was no marketing strategy or anything.

When I was playing, I played the match, I would come here, talk to you guys, just because it was obligatory. I can't say that word. I had to do it, I did it.

MARTINA HINGIS: Mandatory.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Yeah, mandatory. It wasn't that I wanted to come talk to you guys. Now I enjoy it. But before all I really wanted was get back into the locker room, get my therapy done, get my stretching done, go home, have my room service, get ready for tomorrow.

Really, uhm, you know, the fame and everything, I guess most of it was created by you guys, by the media a lot of times, most of the time the yellow press. Never tried to pay attention. I mean, obviously it was a little hard times dealing with it being 16, 17 years old, reading some kind of crap about yourself, you know. Most of it was made up.

But at the same time I understand why because I wasn't giving a lot of information. My mom tried to keep me very protected, which a lot of times people didn't really like her that much for that because she was trying to guard me in a way. If I had a 16‑year‑old kid, I would try to guard them as much as I can and keep the focus on what the kid is supposed to do: play tennis, work out, do your therapy.

It's hard. I was being pulled in every single direction. Really there was no guides or rules. My mom and me, we were just learning everything as we were going through it. I was here 15 years old, Wimbledon. I played a Centre Court match. I wasn't even seeded or anything. It's a lot for a kid.

MARTINA HINGIS: Because of you, it reached also other people, not like just tennis fans, but sportsfans in general. I liked reading your stories (laughter).

Q. It seems you're fairly determined not to be at the competitive level again. You're fit enough, as far as I'm concerned. You were saying we need household names. We do need you.

MARTINA HINGIS: Thank you.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Thank you so much for saying that. It's really nice of you.

Q. It would be nice to see you back. No way you want to come back?

MARTINA HINGIS: We're going to play TeamTennis, like Anna said.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: I would love to. I'm really afraid. I'm the kind of person that I don't want to come back unless I'm a hundred percent fit. I wouldn't put myself in that situation. I wouldn't want to let me team down around me that I'm going to get hurt. I wouldn't want the fans let down. I don't want to set myself up knowing that there's a chance I can't perform, that I can't be healthy a hundred percent. I'm kind of OCD that way. I need to practice my three hours, my four hours, to feel confident, to feel good, to be able to go on the court.

Honestly, I don't feel that my body can survive it. I have five different problems with my pelvis area, torso, back. I don't want to go out there false. It's like going on the court injured and you call the trainer two games later. It's unprofessional, unsportsmanship‑like to me.

Q. What was the trainer coming on today for?

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: (Holding her hand up.)

Q. What is it?

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It's a blister that's like bleeding.

THE MODERATOR: Thank you.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Really, that's it? Suddenly when I'm older, I'm enjoying the press conferences (laughter). I thought we were just getting started.

:hearts:

The Dawntreader
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hingis still oozes talent, but i don't think coming back for the sake of nostalgia is worth it.

The game moved on from Hingis in late '07, and i think she realised it, even admist all that nonsense abour cocaine.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA: A true tennis fan, he will know who Jankovic is, Wozniacki, people that are between 5 and 10.

She's still got it. :inlove:

Kworb
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA: I think that right now there's still those amazing names: the Williams girls, Henin, Clijsters. Thank God they came back. I just think, to me personally from the outside, it looks like there's not that many household names besides those really four girls, plus Sharapova.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2jb9zxz.jpg

KournikovaFan91
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
OMG :lol:

Even Ivanovic.

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
:hysteric:

Olórin
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Even Ivanovic. Martina :happy: Oh it was worth reading the interview for that :haha:

moby
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:51 PM
She's still got it. :inlove:IKR. :inlove:

The Dawntreader
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Hingis putting the smackdown on every maan woman and child:lol:

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I love it when Anna starts talking about her back and Martina is just completely grossed out. :lol:

moby
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I love it when Anna starts talking about her back and Martina is just completely grossed out. :lol:I think that was more of a "Bitch, I don't want to hear your excuses. If we lose, I'm laying the smackdown on you." :lol:

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I think that was more of a "Bitch, I don't want to hear your excuses. If we lose, I'm laying the smackdown on you." :lol:
LOL, I guess that sounds more like Martina.

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM
She was already getting annoyed at Kournikova getting broken and missing shots.

Kworb
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
"Even Ivanovic" will be a new TF meme :inlove:

Olórin
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I would LOVE to know what went through Martina's head right before she said "Even Ivanovic" :lol:

Dave.
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Of course Hingis is gonna stick up for Ivanovic. She was her last significant win.

But unfortunately, many won't remember who Ana is now, which means they won't remember Martina's last title. :sad:

donniedarkofan
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
They're just too good and so missed! This is what WTA needs. Individuals like this...

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+pq5hWUbtJql l.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+FTPwCyYEMKZ l.jpg
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+OreUUCLvgKK l.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+gkWQ2lQM7N9 l.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+2TldQbHHfY-l.jpg

sammy01
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
loves it, and anna obviously knows her stuff about the tour.

i can just see hingis's sarcastic smile now when anna was talking about her injuries.

the spice girls are back :worship:

donniedarkofan
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
She was already getting annoyed at Kournikova getting broken and missing shots.

Please. All of your posts are filled with anger towards Kournikova. She played great and Martina wasn't bitchin about her performance. She wasn't even slightly annoyed and i honestly don't know where that came from... Did you even see the match. I did and they both played great, entertaining tennis.

donniedarkofan
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM

That's right. Anna is very smart. She went through a lot with her mother, she knows what's going on on the tour and what WTA lacks. She's completely aware that herself and Martina are the ones that could save the tour, unfortuneteley, they both don't wanna comeback.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Agreed, Kournikova hit some great vollies and had a blister when she lost her serve.

donniedarkofan
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Agreed, Kournikova hit some great vollies and had a blister when she lost her serve.

And i was totally impressed by some of the volleys, not to mention an ace and really great forehand winners.

wildemu
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Of course Hingis is gonna stick up for Ivanovic. She was her last significant win.

But unfortunately, many won't remember who Ana is now, which means they won't remember Martina's last title. :sad:

I thought it was just a slight jab by Martina because Ivanovic has fallen so low.

ptkten
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Martina and Anna :drool:

I feel bad for all of those on this board who were not following tennis from 1997-2003 because that was the most amazing era ever for womens tennis. I still feel like the tour did not do enough to capitalize on the success of that era. Venus and Serena are two of my favorite players but even I have to admit that it's kind of sad that at the age of 28 and 30, they have no legitimate consistent challengers to them who are under the age of 25. And even if the new young players were challenging them, none of them have the personalities to clash with them like Martina, Anna, Jennifer etc. did back then.

Mike_T
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Shouldn't this be in Retired Players forum?

Effy
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Shouldn't this be in Retired Players forum?

no. :silly:
--------

omg, even Ivanovic :bigcry:

Mike_T
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
no.

Why not?

LUIS9
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hingis still oozes talent, but i don't think coming back for the sake of nostalgia is worth it.

The game moved on from Hingis in late '07, and i think she realised it, even admist all that nonsense abour cocaine.
Unfortunately the game has completely passed her by. At best she would be competitive with the top 40 top 35ish players, but not even in a consistent basis. Besides she never had the natural athletic build or agility.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM

I feel bad for all of those on this board who were not following tennis from 1997-2003 because that was the most amazing era ever for womens tennis. I still feel like the tour did not do enough to capitalize on the success of that era. Venus and Serena are two of my favorite players but even I have to admit that it's kind of sad that at the age of 28 and 30, they have no legitimate consistent challengers to them who are under the age of 25. And even if the new young players were challenging them, none of them have the personalities to clash with them like Martina, Anna, Jennifer etc. did back then.

Sesil has the personality :hearts:

Just no game :sobbing:

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Why not?
Because most of the interview is them giving their ideas and insights on the tour in general. :shrug:

edificio
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM

You exaggerate.

JJ all the way
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
They're just too good and so missed! This is what WTA needs. Individuals like this...

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+pq5hWUbtJql l.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+FTPwCyYEMKZ l.jpg
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+OreUUCLvgKK l.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+gkWQ2lQM7N9 l.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Championships+Wimbledon+2010+Day+Eight+2TldQbHHfY-l.jpg

AWESOME PICS!!!

Slutiana - I like your avatar :hearts:

Mike_T
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Because most of the interview is them giving their ideas and insights on the tour in general. :shrug: Makes no odds. KournikovaFan91, move it.

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Makes no odds. KournikovaFan91, move it.
Good luck.

Philip
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM

100% agree.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM

It revolves around a current tournament and their views of the current WTA just like commentator threads are allowed in GM.

Optima
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Martina :sobbing:

Just tragic. I want her back so bad.

davidmario
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Q. Anna, we see a Grand Slam winner, a Russian going very deep. Russians have had a huge impact on the modern game. Kafelnikov played a role, Maria. When you reflect, what do you think your impact was on Russian tennis?

that made me laught:spit: great sarcasm!

Ryan
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM

Good luck with that. This thread is so GM-worthy its not even funny.

:lol: That press conference! We need more of that, it was epic.

Even Ivanovic :lol:

Mike_T
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:21 AM
What about Hingis being the most overrated tennis player of all time, and A:yawn:K being the most overrated sex symbol of all time? Can you move this thread into the useless bin, on that basis?

The Dawntreader
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM
What about Hingis being the most overrated tennis player of all time, and A:yawn:K being the most overrated sex symbol of all time? Can you move this thread into the useless bin, on that basis?

What's the problem?

It's an interesting thread, with semantics breaching the isssue of current players :shrug:

Ryan
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:25 AM

Maybe you should move to Non-Tennis, since you clearly know nothing about the sport. :wavey:

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM

Stop being so bitter :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I actually think Anna could be a great WTA CEO one day....

slamchamp
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:35 AM
What about Hingis being the most overrated tennis player of all time, and A:yawn:K being the most overrated sex symbol of all time? Can you move this thread into the useless bin, on that basis? And what about you being a huge ass?

VIKA?
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:35 AM
It would be so amazing if Anna could make a comeback:sobbing:

joão.
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:42 AM
:inlove:

Nicolás89
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:54 AM
LOL Most epic interview ever. I actually imagine them having long conversations about anything and never agreeing, they should do a reality show or something. :lol:

moby
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM
What about Hingis being the most overrated tennis player of all time, and A:yawn:K being the most overrated sex symbol of all time? Can you move this thread into the useless bin, on that basis?Who is that in your avatar again?

pascal77
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:41 AM

If you dont like this thread, you can go away, dont act like a clown to show your ignorance and foolishness. you are in position to be thrown into the dustbin immediately.

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:46 AM
There are threads in GM about Navratilova's comments about the tour.
When well known former players comment on current players, thats a GM thread.

PLP
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM
LOL Most epic interview ever. I actually imagine them having long conversations about anything and never agreeing, they should do a reality show or something. :lol:

That was an awesome interview, thanks!

égalité
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Even Ivanovic :spit: :spit: :spit:

GOAT interviewer :worship:

The Dawntreader
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:05 AM
This is why the WTA has endless entertainment.

The complete lack of deference toward their peers:lol:

MakarovaFan
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
M. Hingis & A. Kournikova - 29 June 2010
Tuesday, 29 June 2010
Q. What made you decide to come and play here?

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Uhm, well, we were talking with Martina about summer plans, what she was doing, what I was doing and stuff. She told me she was going to be around here in Europe, Grand Slams, doing Grand Slams here in Europe, then she was going to play TeamTennis, which I'm also playing. We just came up with the idea. We thought it was a really good opportunity.

Especially for me personally it's an amazing opportunity to be back at Wimbledon, my favorite grass courts. I haven't been here since 2002. I'm not getting any younger. So this is probably my last chance to play here, just to experience, uhm, being on the court with much less pressure than when you play professional.

Playing with Martina, I mean, I think we just picked it up today where we left off eight years ago. Last time I played was eight years ago. I had so much fun today. Kind of jittery a little bit. You don't know how everything is going to go. But I had an amazing time.

Q. Yes.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: You know, I mean, it's nice. It's kind of a compliment. But honestly I don't really look at it that way. I don't want to take any credit.

MARTINA HINGIS: You should, and you have to. You look at Anna, you have the opportunities.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: It was all about the timing also. I was kind of the first one after the Soviet Union, you know, to leave outside of Russia, to be able to practice in better circumstances, in a better environment, to go to the academy at a young age.

Before that, we still had great players. We had Likhovtseva, Makarova, who were top 20, 30, 50. They were there. They just weren't as noticeable. We always had an amazing tennis school and clubs in Russia. It's just the opportunities never were really there when it was still the Soviet Union for them to travel. Everything was controlled by the Federation.

O M G i can't believe Anna even mentioned Elena :hearts:,geez i love her even more now lol

ys
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Unfortunately the game has completely passed her by. At best she would be competitive with the top 40 top 35ish players, but not even in a consistent basis.

You say she would have no shot against likes of Pironkova or Kvitova?

BlackPanther.
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Is there any video of this interview? :p

Renalicious
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Brilliant interview. Kournikova on the last line. :lol:

AcesHigh
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Wow, they both look awesome! :)

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:29 AM
They both look amazing. Anna is hotter than ever. Martina please come back. :tears:

peanuts
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I miss watching Martina and Anna play tennis. They looked amazing yesterday especially Martina. I felt like it was early 2000 again when they are still on tour. Martina was the reason I got into tennis so it was so awesome to see her back in Wimbledon even if it was just in an invitational doubles match. I really hope they go back on tour again even if it's just in doubles especially Martina. Go Hingis! :D :D

And that was an awesome interview! They're so much fun. Martina being sarcastic. Anna's last line. Haha! :) I really miss that fun personality.

duhcity
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:48 AM

In singles? They'd hit her off the court

homogenius
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:58 AM
"Even Ivanovic" :spit:

I watched the 2nd set and it was good to see these 2 on a court again.They were really enjoying being here.
BTW : talent is still there.Martina's volleys are much more jealous and discriminatory than Justine's ones

LeonHart
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Martina...tie up your hair please :sobbing:

Love them both though, I wanna see them play!

Mike_T
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Maybe you should move to Non-Tennis, since you clearly know nothing about the sport. :wavey:

Not according to...

They rate me a true tennis fan :wavey: Hey Hingis :wavey: Even Ivanovic won the French, which is more than you ever did :wavey:

Daniel K
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Even Ivanovic won the French, which is more than you ever did :wavey:

One French > 5 Slams :confused:

Polikarpov
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Martina...tie up your hair please :sobbing:

Love them both though, I wanna see them play!

I think her hair looks better now.

It was great seeing these two again. Both hit some lovely volleys.:hearts: And Hingis is just a natural on a doubles court -- her court positioning, her dipping service returns, her shot selection, etc. The slice lob she hit was so:drool:

homogenius
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Why are you so tense ? Missed your daily wanking session on Tulya's breasts pics ?

peanuts
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I think her hair looks better now.

It was great seeing these two again. Both hit some lovely volleys.:hearts: And Hingis is just a natural on a doubles court -- her court positioning, her dipping service returns, her shot selection, etc. The slice lob she hit was so:drool:

Yeah those were awesome. And Martina is simply sublime on the net. :hearts: It was so great to see her play doubles again. Her anticipation and court sense helps her so much on her net game.

I felt so nostalgic watching Martina and Anna. It's like the good old times once again.

Libertango
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
So fab to hear and see them again. These two are LEGENDS in my eyes. Yes, others have achieved more, but Hingis and Kournikova are names that'll always be remembered.

What the tour needs now, is not just good players who can challenge the top - making the "top" deeper - but players with personalities and a charisma which can attract more casual fans. Yes, rivalries were heated back in those days, but there were so many interesting characters that you couldn't help but enjoy it all. I know sport isn't a personality popularity contest, and all that really matters is how you hit the ball, but so many of the younger players now are just production line clones; same style of play and seemingly a little dull.

O M G i can't believe Anna even mentioned Elena :hearts:,geez i love her even more now lol

IKR; I think Anna really knows her stuff, and always has.

Coke Zero
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Even Ivanovic.

*dead*

MistyGrey
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hingis and Kournikova:hearts: how I miss these girls! :hug:

madlove
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM
love these 2 ladies.. esp hingis.. such a joy to watch!

Corswandt
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM

:haha:

This is on par with Chak's "Even Hantuchova" quip.

Figures that a cavewoman such as Ivanovic would be just the kind of player that sneaky, clever Hingis would despise. And Hingis won the last match she played against her, let's not forget.

peanuts
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Figures that a cavewoman such as Ivanovic would be just the kind of player that sneaky, clever Hingis would despise. And Hingis won the last match she played against her, let's not forget.

I forgot about the "Even Hantuchova" quip. What was that about again?

cakiteror
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM
They spoke the truth about household names.
Their years were the last years of the DIVAS!
I have never seen such great mix of generations with more star power than theirs.
Everyone knew those names! They were big everywhere. They all had sponsors, they made lots of money off the court too. Nowadays I feel just a selected few earn enough to call themselves rich on WTATOUR. Yes, prize money is bigger, but the sponsors are gone.

Corswandt
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I forgot about the "Even Hantuchova" quip. What was that about again?

2007 YEC, Chak gets asked about who she thought was the favourite. She says something like "We're all very good players etc., anyone can win - even Hantuchova!".

Libertango
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
^:tape::tape::tape::tape::tape:

peanuts
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
2007 YEC, Chak gets asked about who she thought was the favourite. She says something like "We're all very good players etc., anyone can win - even Hantuchova!".

:haha: Hilarious.

TZVETI83
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Love both of them, they both had a huge impact on tennis.(In different ways). There will never be another tennis period like theirs, truly the golden age of womens tennis. LOVE YA BOTH! HAIL THE SPICE GIRLS!!!

Coke Zero
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM

:hysteric:

tom62
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:54 PM
lovely martina :) :) :)
tomorrow the spice girls will playing again !!!

please on the center court !!!!

tom62
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
matt cronin twitter : Just asked Hingis outside of presser if she'll come back this summer, outside of presser, "I don't think so," but no definite no

tom62
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
tomorrow the spice girls will playing against austin/rinaldi :) :)
go spice girls !!!!!

markspot
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm disappointed that the press conference did not answer the main question:

With all those back problems, which positions from Kamasutra Anna can't do?

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I really liked the interview. I am impressed by Kournikova's answers.

Belmont Lad
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Great to see them back and generating massive attention again. :)

Dav.
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I forgot about "Even Hantuchova." :lol:

Great interview; Anna is very articulate and it's great to have Hingis and her sarcastic remarks back in a Wimbledon press conference. :p

donniedarkofan
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Kournikova turned out to be really smart and she knows her stuff, she's clearly a grown up young woman.

sammy01
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM

im pretty sure she said 'maybe even hantuchova' :tape:

LUIS9
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've seen a bit of Pironkova and if Hingis is sluggish and mistiming Pironkova can overpower Hingis. Kvitova I have not seen any of her matches so I cannot comment on her, I mean when Hingis even struggles against the Mirzas and Pennetas of the world, then you know she won't have a chance at even making it to the second week of slams. That's essentially what happened to Hingis in '07, she even managed to lose to Sugiyama while she had her ont he ropes, so go figure. :o

SymphonyX
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:09 AM
"Even Ivanovic."

LMAO. :lol:

Dawn Marie
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Great article:-) Miss them. Marina can comeback right now and still win titles.

hingisGOAT
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:11 AM
I've seen a bit of Pironkova and if Hingis is sluggish and mistiming Pironkova can overpower Hingis. Kvitova I have not seen any of her matches so I cannot comment on her, I mean when Hingis even struggles against the Mirzas and Pennetas of the world, then you know she won't have a chance at even making it to the second week of slams. That's essentially what happened to Hingis in '07, she even managed to lose to Sugiyama while she had her ont he ropes, so go figure. :o

Given Hingis' talent and accomplishments, it's safe to say that those pathetic losses in late 2006/2007 were a result of her poor standard of play at that point, and not because of "amazing" play by her opponents. Give her a little bit of credit :rolleyes:

The whore "Tour has passed her by" meme is very annoying, especially when one considers that Stosur, Schiavone, Pironkova, Kvitova, Zheng, Li Na are the most recent Slam success stories; pushers Woz and Radwanska are top 10; and Belgians and Williams sisters are playing worse than they did when Hingis played them.

Steven.
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
They rate me a true tennis fan :wavey: Hey Hingis :wavey: Even Ivanovic won the French, which is more than you ever did :wavey:

can't tell if mike_t is a bad troll or merely a dumb user. ;x

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
Martina should protect whatever "legacy" she has left and stay on the sidelines.

korny, could come back and not hurt her legacy that much. Most of it wasn't based on her level of play anyway. :shrug:

Singleniacki
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM

:bowdown:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM

And Martina won 5 GS, more than Ana will ever do. :lol:

Mike_T
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
And Martina won 5 GS, more than Ana will ever do. :lol:

Plenty of time, plus a further 2 years MH never got ;) And maybe blessed with cakewalk draws that won Lucky Chucky 2 slams.

PLP
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Plenty of time, plus a further 2 years MH never got ;) And maybe blessed with cakewalk draws that won Lucky Chucky 2 slams.

I love Ana, but I can't see her winning 15 overall slams, Several YEC's (in singles and doubles), or spending over 200 weeks at #1...I would be thrilled to see Ana back in the top 25 by the end of the year.

Honestly, although Martina's comment was amusing, it is being taken out of context. I think she meant that Ana is still a dangerous player even though her ranking is nowhere near the top 10. Plus I believe that they get on, there is no bad blood between them.

PLP
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:21 AM

I think you are underestimating her. She could be a solid top 10 player and win some titles. With the exception of Serena (in major tournaments at least), the inconsistency near the top of the game is astounding, I think there is definitely room. :lol:

eck
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM
Even Ivanovic :rolls:

Bezz
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
I dont think she was being "bitchy", english is still her second language...she probably meant to say "aswel ivanovic"

King Halep
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM

i can just see hingis's sarcastic smile now when anna was talking about her injuries.

I thought they said Martina had matured

Ryan
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
I thought Martina just meant Ivanovic is a household name too, like the players Ana mentioned.

GOAT press conference. :bowdown:

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM
the spice girls playing again today ( center court or court°1 ) :) :) match online on this links :

http://kawai-hingis.skyrock.com

go spice girls !!!

Mike_T
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
go spice girls !!!

.....AND DON'T COME BACK!

LUVMIRZA
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
You exaggerate.no its true...it was wonderful btween 1997 - 2003:drool: The game became so popular.

LUVMIRZA
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM

Ur making urself a fool here:o

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:06 PM
Ladies' Invitation Doubles

Martina Hingis(SUI) /
Anna Kournikova(RUS) go spice girls !!!

Helena Sukova(CZE) /
Andrea Temesvari(HUN)

Ryan
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM

:sobbing: Poor, sad troll.

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
men double mixte is soon end on the center court :) :) :) maybe the spice girls on ce CC :) :)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hingis/Kournikova will be on Centre Court!

ptitnavet
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
:cheer:

Polikarpov
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hingis/Kournikova will be on Centre Court!

Where they belong.:worship:

AnDrEi.b
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Where they belong.:worship:

Oh yeah :hearts:

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:59 PM
hingis kournikova enters ont the central court !!!!

jefrilibra
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
They are warrming up NOW on CC!!!

Sammo
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Amazing interview

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
4/1 FOR THE SPICE GIRLS
i can't wait the second interview tonight :)

goldenlox
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM
I didnt understand court 2 on Tuesday. CC is where they belong

Sammo
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Any livestreams?? pleasee! :sad:

Ryan
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Check scoring thread for livestream. Don't get this awesome thread locked because you talk about score here. :p

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
I've been watching it here
http://www.fromsport.com/v-0/0/116/v-11625.html

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM
6/1 6/4 for the spice girls
soon the 2nd interviews :) :) :)

tom62
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM
today martina it was simply great and hot :) :)
http://forum2.hingis.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32390&pid=583805&st=0&#entry583805

AdeyC
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Ladies' Invitation Doubles

Martina Hingis(SUI) /
Anna Kournikova(RUS) go spice girls !!!

Helena Sukova(CZE) /
Andrea Temesvari(HUN)

Yeah but Sukova and Temesvari were the Spice Girls of the '80's ;)

Libertango
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM
Martina and Anna looked and were fab on the BBC interview with Sue! I always remember people saying they were so bitchy back in the day, and I know they had their moments, but they came across as lovely, genuine people. Great to see them.

JamieOwen3
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM
taken from the wimbledon website as the BBC didn't bother showing the match

YMnkJqkHDXU

wildemu
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:40 AM
these girls are barely 30 years old...I don't know what to think when they are playing grannies as their opponents.

Loungy
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hi! May I ask which program you use to rip vids from the Wimbledon site? Jaksta?

tommyk75
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:47 AM
Interesting to see Anna play Temesvari, who was the Anna of the 80's (the other players used to hate her for daring to wear make-up on court; both Martina N and Pam Shriver made not-so-nice comments about her in their books).

Slutati
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:54 AM

YMnkJqkHDXU
LOL. Hingis' serve looks so huge next to the other 3. :rolls:

Ryan
Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Best doubles pairing in history, no doubt.

Caralenko
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:22 AM
Best doubles pairing in history, no doubt.

:bowdown:

Anna's serve wasn't so shit in doubles cause Martina could easy volley most of the returns :sobbing:

tom62
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
it's the martina results for the summer exhibitions :) :)

The Nottingham Masters 2010 Tennis Tournament :
http://www.nottinghammasters.co.uk/

1_Thursday (10th June): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Monika Wejnert (AUS) : 6-2 6-1
2_Friday (11th June): Michaella Krajicek (NED) beat Martina Hingis (SUI) : 6-4 6-4
3_Saturday (12th June): Olga Savchuk (UKR) beat Martina Hingis (SUI) : 2-6 6-4 10-5 *
4_Sunday (13th June): Michaell Krajicek (NED) beat Martina Hingis (SUI) : 4-6 6-4 10-4 *
*NOTE: The last 2 results have been modified by hingis.org members (tennis-ace and Homer).

Liverpool International Tennis Tournament :
http://www.liverpooltennis.co.uk/

5_Wednesday(16th June): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Ulrikke Eikeri (NOR) : 6-1 6-3
6_Thursday (17th June): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) : 6-3 6-4
7_Friday (18th June): Hingis/McEnroe (SUI/USA) beat Eikeri/Knowles (NOR/BAH) : 6-1 7-5
8_Sunday (20th June): Ana Bogdan (Rom) beat Martina Hingis (SUI) : 6-4 6-4

Manchester Masters 2010 Tennis Tournament :
http://www.manchestertennis.co.uk/

9_Wednesday (23rd June): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Amy Askew (GBR) : 6-1 6-0
10_Thursday (24th June): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Beth Askew (GBR) : 6-0 6-1
11_Friday (25th June): Hingis/Jackson (SUI/GBR) beat A.Askew/Krajicek (GBR/NED) : 8-7(4)
12_Friday (Match two): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Chloe Murphy (GBR) : 6-3 6-1
13_Saturday (26th June): Martina Hingis (SUI) beat Chloe Murphy (GBR) : 6-4 6-1 ((NOTE : Women's Final))

Wimbledon 2010 :
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/index.html

14_Tuesday (29th June) : Hingis/Kournikova (SUI/RUS) beat Hobbs/Smith (GBR/GBR) : 6-2 6-4
15_ Thursday (1 July) : Hingis/Kournikova (SUI/RUS) beat Sukova/Temesvari (CZE/HUN) : 6-1 6-4

*MATCHES = 15 .
*Singles = 11: (( WIN =7 , LOSS =4 )) .
*Doubles = 2: (( WIN =2 , LOSS =0 )) .
*Mixed Doubles = 2: (( WIN=2 , LOSS =0 )) .

:) :)

Leo_DFP
Jul 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Before, I think it was many more household names. Hingis, Williams, Clijsters, Henin, Pierce, Sanchez, Graf, Capriati. We played in an era where I think there were many generations. There was the older generation, the medium and the younger. I think I played the late '90s. It was such a huge mix of generations and people.

But right now, anybody who is outside of top 5 or 10, a normal sportsfans, I don't think they would recognize the names of the girls, even though they're amazing and good.

MARTINA HINGIS: We just had different style. Everyone had its own style. That made it unique. Pretty much now it looks very much the same, like the hard hitting, yeah.

I think they just don't teach it anymore.

ANNA KOURNIKOVA: Now it's about the power.

MARTINA HINGIS: We just played a lot more tennis, so... Different way, different way of coaching I believe, you know.

They nailed it here.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Interesting to see Anna play Temesvari, who was the Anna of the 80's (the other players used to hate her for daring to wear make-up on court; both Martina N and Pam Shriver made not-so-nice comments about her in their books).

Just like Tauziat did about Anna. Jealousy is such a terrible thing.

spencercarlos
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
these girls are barely 30 years old...I don't know what to think when they are playing grannies as their opponents.
Austin/Rinaldi def Hingis/Kournikova 7-5 7-6 can´t belive we have no thread on this.

Hingis was quoted as saying "never to be back in the real competition"..

Randy H
Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Seeing Anna's serve against Temesvari/Sukova, it was easily just as weak as theirs, if not weaker. Kind of sad to watch in a way, considering she's still so young, but obviously she can't afford to push it either with her back problems.

Hingis if she really trained could still come back and be a top notch doubles player, but it's certainly not going to be with Kournikova unfortunately.

Vlover
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Austin/Rinaldi def Hingis/Kournikova 7-5 7-6 can´t belive we have no thread on this.

Damn! I don't blame Hingis because they would be blown off the court in todays competition.:tape:

LightWarrior
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Does Kournikova have a brain ? I mean the other day she and Hingis were interviewed by Sue Barker and Kournikova sounded like a brainless-with-no-breast-implants Pamela Anderson. That was painful.

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Seeing Anna's serve against Temesvari/Sukova, it was easily just as weak as theirs, if not weaker. Kind of sad to watch in a way, considering she's still so young, but obviously she can't afford to push it either with her back problems.

Hingis if she really trained could still come back and be a top notch doubles player, but it's certainly not going to be with Kournikova unfortunately.
Yeah. The reason it's that weak is definitely because of her back. She's just throwing the ball up in the air and using nothing but her arm to spin it in.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM

It was too embarassing to start a thread about :sobbing: I was gutted. To be fair it wasn't Hingis' fault but how did they not break serve more???

I don't know what is more embarassing, this loss or Kournikova's loss to Colosio in Charlottesville her last ever match. I wish she had stopped after Sea Island at least then Sharapova would have been her last opponent.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:19 AM

People are as serious about this as Hingy/Korny are about tennis. :shrug:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I just wanted this to be almost a retirment celebration Anna never had, like Sugiyama had her big goodbye but Anna never got that, all she got was a loss to a player ranked in the 300s.

spencercarlos
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:57 AM
People are as serious about this as Hingy/Korny are about tennis. :shrug:
I would undertand them losing to Navratilova-Novotna in the finals. But losing to the year´s 70-early 80s great players like Austin and Rinaldi is really a shame to say the least. They are at Wimbledon not in a fu kin country club match for god sake.. :rolleyes:

spencercarlos
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:59 AM
It was too embarassing to start a thread about :sobbing: I was gutted. To be fair it wasn't Hingis' fault but how did they not break serve more???

I don't know what is more embarassing, this loss or Kournikova's loss to Colosio in Charlottesville her last ever match. I wish she had stopped after Sea Island at least then Sharapova would have been her last opponent.
This loss indeed. At least she lost to a then current pro player. Not a retired 40-50 year old couple....

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I would undertand them losing to Navratilova-Novotna in the finals. But losing to the year´s 70-early 80s great players like Austin and Rinaldi is really a shame to say the least. They are at Wimbledon not in a fu kin country club match for god sake.. :rolleyes:
I understand your frustration, SC, But THEY'VE treated like a country club tournament.

I think, more than anything, the simply missed the applause. They winning/losing simply didn't matter to them. It was an ego trip.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:03 AM

I agree losing to Nav would have been acceptable on some level. This loss isn't. :sobbing:

I never felt so shit about a loss and all this is is the invitational doubles.

Ryan
Jul 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I agree losing to Nav would have been acceptable on some level. This loss isn't. :sobbing:

I never felt so shit about a loss and all this is is the invitational doubles.

I was crushed too. :lol: But w/e, I'm going to pretend it didnt happen. Still want a doubles comeback.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Would be great to see Martina and Anna "go hard" at doubles for just a few years! :worship:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Seeing Anna in the WTA's montage of Russians in the Top 10. :sobbing: Its so sad.

She was the second Russian to make Top 10 after Morozova. She was such a trailblazer.

PLP
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I think we are being too harsh on them. :lol:
Considering Anna's exho form, I am just happy that they won 2 matches. Anna said she is nursing about 5 injuries right now...
still great to see them back, would love to see Hingis with a Davenport or Stosur for a partner.

LeonHart
Jul 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I can't believe they lost :sobbing:

It was mostly Kournikova making the mistakes though :angel:

darkishgirl
Jul 4th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I think we are being too harsh on them. :lol:
Considering Anna's exho form, I am just happy that they won 2 matches. Anna said she is nursing about 5 injuries right now...
still great to see them back, would love to see Hingis with a Davenport or Stosur for a partner.

^This.:worship:

donniedarkofan
Jul 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM

No, not really. They both played worse than in their previous matches.

JamieOwen3
Jul 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
my answer to them losing - WHATFUCKINGEVER!!! they weren't in a REAL event and if they had been they would be more focused and would have whipped the old wrinkled asses!

Steffica Greles
Jul 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
A brilliant interview. Anna comes across really, really well these days. I don't think any of us really thought about how tough it was for her, at such a young age. She had to win a slam to justify her beauty! The poor girl couldn't win.

I agree with what they said about nobody knowing these players in the top ten. There's one with the bronzer and another with a kind of Polish-sounding surname. Blonde hair (I think).

I think they were too kind saying they are all unbelievably good. Some of them are actually good players, with high quality strokes. Zvonareva has always been one of those. Hantuchova is another, from years gone by. But there's a lot of average povas who really wouldn't get a look in without their rackets.

Larrybidd
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I think you are underestimating her. She could be a solid top 10 player and win some titles. With the exception of Serena (in major tournaments at least), the inconsistency near the top of the game is astounding, I think there is definitely room. :lol:

What you seem to be forgetting is that when Hingis last played, SHE was as inconsistent as anybody. So add inconsistency, with age, and lack of big serve...equals not a pretty picture for a Chucky comback.

rucolo
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Great interview!:yeah:

Really nice words from Martina and Anna. Like them a lot.:);)
So good to see them play tennis again.

Sad they won`t come back.:sad:
Anna`s body is too fragile.

Interesting when they talk about teenagers at the top: the pressure and the age restrictions.

I definitely miss Martina and Anna.
They have done so much for women`s tennis.:worship:

Coke Zero
Jul 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hingis could come back in singles and play the WTA tour I'm 100% positive. She could reach TOP 20, expecting any higher and I'd be delusional. Hingis doesn't want to come back to make up the numbers, so she isn't coming back to singles.

A doubles comeback could see her add to her slam tally though. :hearts:

Mike_T
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Any pics of the victorious Spice Girls yet, receiving their Invitation Doubles winners trophies?

Not that they really deserve winners trophies, because no matter how over-rated they might be, they’ve only beaten players old enough to be their MOTHERS, FFS! It’s not like they’re gonna lose!

:tape:

And did you notice how their victors got bageled in the final? :happy:

Mike_T
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I promise never again to complain of such Spice Girl threads in GM. Next time, be sure to pin it to the top of GM, marked *important*, because no one likes missing an epic fail thread.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8640/failboatf.jpg

Navigated by Capt Ryan and Capt KournikovaFan91

Myskinacomeback
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:28 PM
pathetic that is?
how come Hingis is allowed @ Wimbledon??? isnt she BANNED for taking drugs???? the wta is a joke

Ryan
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I promise never again to complain of such Spice Girl threads in GM. Next time, be sure pin it to the top of GM, marked *important*, because no one likes missing an epic fail thread.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8640/failboatf.jpg

Navigated by Capt Ryan and Capt KournikovaFan91

I'll co-captain Anna and Martina's board anytime. :drool:

Myskinacomeback
Jul 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
and even more laughable
today shes sitting in the royal box holding David Beckhams pecker

KournikovaFan91
Jul 5th, 2010, 01:30 AM
For non British viewers

9KynxjfsmRM

lol @ Anna saying Martina carries them.

Roookie
Jul 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Great interview...Anna :inlove:...Martina come back :bounce:

Caralenko
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:08 AM
For non British viewers

9KynxjfsmRM

lol @ Anna saying Martina carries them.

tommyk75
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Why doesn't any of the reporters ask, "So, what really happened between the two of you back in Chile?" There were stories of screaming and vase-breaking and so on, and it's so strange that no one ever got around to asking about it.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 5th, 2010, 05:20 AM
LOL notice how they got a dig at Serena by not mentioning her name in the semifinals ;)

GOD I MISS THEM!

DimaDinosaur
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:04 AM

And where is Chak now? Outside the top 100 and selling herself for scrapes of meat and lettuce to feed herself and her father.

cellophane
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Speaking on the BBC later, Austin revealed an ever-cheeky Hingis had told her at the net: "I hope I play as well as you when I'm your age."

:lol:

PLP
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Speaking on the BBC later, Austin revealed an ever-cheeky Hingis had told her at the net: "I hope I play as well as you when I'm your age."

Chrissie-fan
Jul 5th, 2010, 06:53 PM

:lol: You have the gift or you don't, and Martina deffinitely has it. :worship:

Best ever post match answer:
Question: "Why were you laughing, Martina?"
Martina: "Well, she was trying so hard. It was as though she thought that she actually could win!."

darkishgirl
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM

:lol::lol: that's Martina!!:devil::devil:

metamorpha
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Question: Why were you laughing Martina?
Martina: She was trying so hard as if she thought she had a chance to win.

Very very arrogant but funny at the same time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Question: Why were you laughing Martina?
Martina: She was trying so hard as if she thought she had a chance to win.

Very very arrogant but funny at the same time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Martina can be a bit naughty, but she's not evil. And even when she's evil, she's usually so in the most adorable manner.

:lol: :hearts: :worship:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 6th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Why doesn't any of the reporters ask, "So, what really happened between the two of you back in Chile?" There were stories of screaming and vase-breaking and so on, and it's so strange that no one ever got around to asking about it.

Probably jealousy from both sides, Kournikova jealous of Hingis' titles and Hingis of Kournikova's fame.

Didn't it all apparently start over a bad line call. It was an exhibition match FFS why get so heated about a line call. :shrug:
They are both much more mature now.

I wish people would probe Anna for more information, she is so secrative and private. Even her official blog doesn't reveal much about her. I wish she would join Twitter :lol:

tennisbum79
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:20 AM

It was the same before retirment.

I don't Hingis is surprized.
You are the only one who think Anna will come back from retirement with a better game.

Still losing to people who had retired when they started their career has to be embarassing

Daniel K
Jul 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Hingis just lost 5-4 to Lertcheewakarn in WTT and they're playing a super match tiebreak to decide the tie now. :help:

PLP
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hingis just lost 5-4 to Lertcheewakarn in WTT and they're playing a super match tiebreak to decide the tie now. :help:

Well, she she won her first 2 sets with the Buzz and then just ran out of gas. She was in London on Sunday, and Albany on Monday...just saying. :p

metamorpha
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Martina can be a bit naughty, but she's not evil. And even when she's evil, she's usually so in the most adorable manner.

:lol: :hearts: :worship:

I think Martina, Lindsay and Maria are so smart with sarcasm and verbal jabs. :lol:

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:58 AM
LOL notice how they got a dig at Serena by not mentioning her name in the semifinals ;)

GOD I MISS THEM!

Errr, context people? I don't recall the exact discussion but they were talking about the depth or variety of the tour, or a variance of those topics, so for obvious reasons they focused on the other semi-finalists. There wasn't anything to say about Serena, it's not a dig.

tom62
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:59 AM
martina in wtt and interview this day !!!!
http://kawai-hingis.skyrock.com/

Chris_G
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, Hingis was pretty impressive last night until the fatigue set in. I'm covering all six of the Team Tennis matches she's playing in Albany this month. If you're interested in detailed match reports, quotes, and eventually some pictures, you can check it out at http://www.tennis-ontheline.com.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, Hingis was pretty impressive last night until the fatigue set in. I'm covering all six of the Team Tennis matches she's playing in Albany this month. If you're interested in detailed match reports, quotes, and eventually some pictures, you can check it out at http://www.tennis-ontheline.com.I always liked www.tennis-ontheline.com (http://www.tennis-ontheline.com)
I used to go there for pictures. I see you have 15 of Bychkova over the years, 70 of Likhovtseva.
Very good website

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Hingis relives old rivalries thanks to World TeamTennis

By Nicole Auerbach, USA TODAY
Fifteen years ago, the emergence of three young women —Martina Hingis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Martina+Hingis), Venus Williams (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Olympic+Sports/Venus+Williams) and Serena Williams (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Olympic+Sports/Serena+Williams)— dramatically altered the landscape of the WTA tour.
Hingis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Martina+Hingis) and Venus turned pro within weeks of each other in October 1994, and Serena followed less than a year later. Rivalries were born.
The trio has combined to win 25 Grand Slam singles titles, but Hingis — who accounts for five of those — has been off the radar because of two retirements (the first in 2002, and the second in 2007 after returning in 2006).
Now, thanks to World TeamTennis, those old rivalries will get a rebirth, starting tonight in Washington, when Hingis' New York Buzz faces off against the Washington Kastles, featuring Venus Williams. Serena, coming off her fourth Wimbledon (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Events+and+Awards/Sports/Wimbledon) title, and Hingis will play Friday when the Kastles and Buzz face off in Glens Falls, N.Y (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Glens+Falls).

NET POST: Nadal, Serena solidify spots at top (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2010-07-05-weekly-net-post_N.htm)
ATP TOUR: Mahut wins first match since marathon (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2010-07-06-4061893589_x.htm)

"I was basically growing up with the Williams sisters when I was on tour," Hingis, 29, said in a conference call. "They brought the power game, which I tried to deal a little bit with the finesse. I think it was a great contrast every time we played."

Hingis and Venus played 21 times on the WTA Tour, the last in 2006, and Hingis holds an 11-10 edge. Against Serena, Hingis is 6-7; their last meeting was in 2002.
"I think we always brought out the best tennis in each other, kept us pushing," Hingis said. "I have great memories. I think that was some of the best times in women's tennis."
World TeamTennis, entering its 35th year, is the brainchild of Billie Jean King (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Billie+Jean+King). The league brings a team, crowd-friendly aspect to tennis and each year delivers the game's top players, including Andy Roddick (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Andy+Roddick), John McEnroe (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/John+McEnroe), Maria Sharapova (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Maria+Sharapova), Anna Kournikova (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Anna+Kournikova) and many others.
Hingis, whose last retirement came after admitting she tested positive for cocaine, helped deliver a title for the New York Sportimes in 2005, her last appearance in WTT. Her first appearance this year wasn't quite as successful: Hingis lost in singles to Noppawan Lertcheewakarn, and the Buzz lost to the Philadelphia Freedoms.
Her task against Venus will be a challenge: "I haven't played a player in the top five (in three years)," Hingis said.
The other question is whether another comeback is in store. Hingis, who played with Kournikova (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Tennis/Anna+Kournikova) in legends doubles competition at Wimbledon, has hinted at a possible return to doubles while essentially ruling out a singles comeback. Hingis named Lindsay Davenport (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/Olympic+Sports/Lindsay+Davenport) as a potential partner on the tour. "We've had some talks," Hingis said.

tom62
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:45 AM
abigael spears beat martina 5/2 :confused::confused::confused::confused:
bye bye comeback !

Stamp Paid
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:49 AM

http://i39.tinypic.com/2jb9zxz.jpgMTE

Hingis is such a shady bitch :lol:

bandabou
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Given Hingis' talent and accomplishments, it's safe to say that those pathetic losses in late 2006/2007 were a result of her poor standard of play at that point, and not because of "amazing" play by her opponents. Give her a little bit of credit :rolleyes:

The whore "Tour has passed her by" meme is very annoying, especially when one considers that Stosur, Schiavone, Pironkova, Kvitova, Zheng, Li Na are the most recent Slam success stories; pushers Woz and Radwanska are top 10; and Belgians and Williams sisters are playing worse than they did when Hingis played them.

:haha: :rolls: But the thing is Martina is playing worse than she was playing in '99 too, no? And she was being beaten already by then, so what hope is left for her then?

tom62
Jul 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM
GREAT NEWS , ITS OFFICIAL :) :) :) today martina talk on thi returns in double in the usopen series :) :)

Hingis: Comeback thoughts 'only natural'
Martina Hingis, the 29-year-old tennis icon, is playing tonight in Springfield for the New York Buzz against the Lasers at Cooper Tennis Complex.

"I feel pretty good right now. I had a slower start, losing the first two matches after coming over here from Europe. But I was able to get revenge on them, which is nice."

On why she is playing WTT: "I just enjoy playing tennis. ... This has been my third week on the road. It's been a lot of travel, but a lot of fun."

On a return to competitive tennis: "I always thought, maybe doubles. But I need a partner for that." ;) :) :)

On her success in WTT and if that sparks more comeback thoughts: "It's only natural that you have it in the back of your head. I feel good and better every match. It's nice to get back out there playing with these girls."

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2010071...++only+natural+

what is your favorite partners for martina ?

Daniel K
Jul 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM
:inlove: Lindsay please.

darkishgirl
Jul 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM
what is your favorite partners for martina ?

SAM STOSUR OF COURSE!!:cool:

ChrisCologne
Jul 18th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Lindsay would be good after 2-3 months of training, she was rusty in Wimbledon.

IF Martina really considers coming back, she should limit herself to doubles. Imagine her playing the young guns, it´s no comparison to the first comeback, the depth is amazing.

But consider herself playing the 4 slams, Sydney, Miami, Madrid, and 3-4 other events with Kim Clijsters or Lindsay in doubles. That could be fun.

ChrisCologne
Jul 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I´ve one thought to add.

There´s already a buzz circulating around the mixed competition in the London 2012 Olympics. If she´s to keep her form and doubles ranking for 2 years or a year and a half, she and Roger Federer playing Hopman Cup 2011 or 2012, this could lead to an Olympic mixed, if being keen on playing. I could very well see her and Roger play the mixed in Wimbledon 2011.

darkishgirl
Jul 18th, 2010, 09:56 AM
that would be awesome Chris!!! fingers crossed.

tom62
Jul 18th, 2010, 10:34 AM
maybe with kirilenko or hantuchova :) :)

tom62
Jul 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
tonight martina will playing against kim :) :) :)
great matchs !!!!

tom62
Jul 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM
:) :) :) OMG martina earned 50 000 £ for participate to strictly come dancing in 2009 and all this money for only 1 week ( about $ 100 000 )
Strictly Come Dancing stars to get performance-related pay

STRICTLY Come Dancing stars will be paid by the dance in a salary shake-up aimed at making the show more competitive.
Finalists could pocket up to £100,000 - but those bowing out early could collect as little as £10,000.

But the move comes after former tennis player Martina Hingis walked off with £50,000 despite losing in week one last year.

( about $ 100 000 for the week )

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/television-news/2010/07/19/strictly-come-dancing-stars-to-get-performance-related-pay-86908-22423615/

Sammo
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think it's good that Hingis partners Davenport, she needs someone powerful and young to rely on, and she can do all the genius stuff. My vote goes for Hingis Stosur, aka Stingis :lol:

Kworb
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hingis/Davenport :inlove:

Hingis/Federer :inlove::inlove::inlove:

I don't think returning in singles would be wise. She'll never play like 1996-2001 again when she was on equal footing with peak Davenport and peak Williams.

tom62
Jul 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
hingis confirm this comeback in double for soon :) :)

The Tennis Now Interview: Martina Hingis

By Richard Pagliaro
© Susan Mullane/Camerawork USA
© Fred Levine/FAL Photography.com

(July 23, 2010) Striking shots with mischievous intentions, Martina Hingis was up to her old tricks again. Playing against her former team, the New York Sportimes, in Monday night's World TeamTennis match on Randall's Island in New York City, the former World No. 1 was doing her best to drive her opponents up the wall.

Hingis, whose anticipation is still so sharp it sometimes seems she's playing a point she's already seen on TiVo, pulled out the seldom-seen lob volley to send reigning US Open champion Kim Clijsters scampering back to the baseline in pursuit.

Playing a point like this one against Hingis on the multi-colored court can feel like coming home to find the complete contents of your living room had been rearranged — everything is still right there somewhere, but you're perplexed by the positions you find yourself in while searching to make sense of it all.

The 29-year-old Hingis, the marquee player for the New York Buzz, and Scoville Jenkins built a 2-1 lead over Clijsters and John McEnroe in mixed doubles when Hingis, who was set to serve the fourth game, made an executive decision in installing doubles partner Sara Borwell as her replacement. Borwell held serve and the Buzz went on to win the mixed doubles, 5-3.

On a night when Clijsters overpowered Hingis, 5-2, in a battle of former World No. 1 players, Hingis wasn't always at her best, but showed flashes of the form that makes her one of only six women to hold the World No. 1 ranking in singles and doubles simultaneously.

It was a homecoming of sorts as Hingis, who led the New York Sportimes to the 2005 WTT championship and earned MVP finals honors in the process, returned for her lone New York City appearance.

And while her serving was spotty, she looked a little tight at times and spent some of her down time alternating between sending text messages and tapping her toes against the court while listening to the music played between serves, there was no mistaking the satisfactory smile the Swiss displayed after winning imaginative points.

While she concedes missing the competition, Hingis said she remains well aware of the time, work and dedication reaching the top 10 requires.

"Tennis, it takes you on," Hingis said during Wimbledon, where she partnered with olf friend and former "Spice Girls" doubles partner Anna Kournikova in the Ladies Legend doubles evnet. "Like I said, I mean, they come, they go, they have big serves, different kind of game. For me, it was much more work behind the scenes than the Williams sisters."

At her best, Hingis suffers a confidence crisis about as often as Atlas visits a chiropractor, but she got a real WTT wake-up call in her return to competition earlier this month. Hingis struggled to find her game in singles, but has picked up her play, particularly in doubles, as the season has progressed.

"The beginning was slightly rough," said Hingis, who ran out of racquets in her first match and had to borrow Borwell's Babolat to complete a match against the Venus Williams-led Washington Kastles. "I just came over from Europe and started playing straight away. But after I got into into and started playing a few matches I started feeling better. And we won some doubles matches as well."

Competing is still a Buzz, but the off the court work required for a touring pro — the endless practice sessions, training in the game and constant travel — no longer interests Hingis, who spends a lot of her spare time pursuing her passion: riding horses.

"What I miss is probably the winning moments — when you hold up the trophy and you know you are the best in the world and you end up winning Grand Slams. That is probably the moment an athlete is most happy," Hingis said. "You miss that, but you know that getting to that point takes a lot of years, a lot of hard work, a lot of practice. It doesn't come from heaven. You never forget how much work, how much pain, you go through to get there."

In WTT play, Hingis showed signs of the guile, touch and court sense that made her the top player in the world. Those elements can make her a successful doubles player. Hingis' shallow serve — by far the biggest weakness in her game — was exposed at times during near two-year return to the WTA Tour, but her serve is not nearly as big a liability in doubles where more often than not she can gauge where the return is coming. Additionally, if Hingis can partner with a younger, bigger-serving partner it will allow her to use her superb net skills in doubles.

So will she attempt a partial comeback to the WTA Tour as a doubles specialist?

"Well, that was always the question. I mean early on I talked to Lindsay [Davenport] about it and maybe we could do it and get some wild cards," Hingis said. "But she already committed very early, in March, and I didn't want to. So she is going to play Stanford and San Diego and she wanted someone to commit really soon. I just wasn't ready for that. I wanted to see how it goes. I played some exhibitions in England. I just wanted to see how I feel."

It could be the latest chapter in a career that has seen Hingis capture five Grand Slam singles titles and eight major doubles titles. Hingis won 43 singles and 37 doubles championships in a career that began 16 years ago. She hasn't ruled out the prospect of playing limited doubles events as Davenport has done.

"Yeah, I'm thinking that I just might. But you need the partner as well, right?" Hingis said.

Hingis competes in some of the smaller equestrian events in Europe — "It is a passion and it stays a passion. It's a hobby I don't (pursue it professionally)," she — sometimes hits with juniors at her mother's tennis academy and still follows the pro circuit on TV and the internet, but spoke like a woman who appreciates the flexibility of her schedule these days.

"You have a lot more time for your life and also been what I don't really miss is the travel," Hingis said. "Having to go week-to-week; the grind. I loved it when I was 17, but it's a bit different at 30."

At the age of 14 Hingis made her professional in Zurich in 1994. Receiving a wild card into the main draw, the 378th-ranked Hingis beat American Patty Fendick, 6-4, 6-3, to record her first professional victory before bowing to fifth-ranked Mary Pierce, 6-4, 6-0, in the second round.

At five-foot-seven, 130 pounds, Hingis was overshadowed by bigger, stronger opponents, but used her greatest weapon — her mind — to compensate for the significant size disparity she often faced. Former World No. 1 Monica Seles once saidHingis constructed points perhaps better than anyone she ever faced.

"(My mind) was very important because I wasn't the biggest or strongest so I had to have technique and tactics to be successful," Hingis told us in a past interview. "For me, my mother was always the most important person in helping me. She taught me just every shot — from the time I was a little kid she had me work on every shot. So that (the mental game) was easy because I would go on the court feeling comfortable and secure. I knew I could do it in practice so there was no reason not to be able to do it in the match. I was already pretty confident from the time I was young. My mother would take me to her club and I would play with the kids and even though I was one of the younger ones I always wanted to be one of the best. And I had success at a pretty young age. My personality is very loose in general and I never made big trouble out of big shots. When I would get to a match point, I knew I'd come that far so I knew I could do it (close out the match)."

Tennis Now caught up with Hingis for this interview.

Tennis Now: Martina, how do you feel about the way you're playing? How has your level evolved as the season has progressed?

Martina Hingis: The beginning was slightly rough. I just came over from Europe and started playing straight away. But after I got into into and started playing a few matches I started feeling better. And we won some doubles matches as well. After that I was on a winning streak until the last one (laughs). Yeah, that was a rough one.

Tennis Now: John McEnroe came back to the ATP Tour a few years back and actually won a doubles title in San Jose. You're such a good doubles player. Why not just come back to the WTA Tour and play some select doubles events?

Martina Hingis: Well, that was always the question. I mean early on I talked to Lindsay [Davenport] about it and maybe we could do it and get some wild cards. But she already committed very early, in March, and I didn't want to. So she is going to play Stanford and San
Diego and she wanted someone to commit really soon. I just wasn't ready for that. I wanted to see how it goes. I played some exhibitions in England. I just wanted to see how I feel.

Tennis Now: Would you consider playing doubles events in the future at some point?

Martina Hingis: Yeah, I'm thinking that I just might. But you need the partner as well, right?

Tennis Now: When you watch tennis today, who do you like to watch? Is there anyone who reminds you of you? Anyone who plays the Hingis style, using the angles, the finesse, playing all-court tennis?

Martina Hingis: Well, there's Justine. She's back on Tour again and she plays all court. With the younger players it's hard to tell. It's pretty much one-sided. They pretty much have the same kind of games, so it's tough to tell.

Tennis Now: You had a great rivalry with Serena. Where do you rank Serena among the greatest players you've faced and among the greatest players you've seen?

Martina Hingis: Obviously, she's still at the top. She's a tremendous athlete with enormous power. The strongest part of her game, I would say, would be the mental part. She can hit a huge serve when she needs to. I watched her match against Sharapova at Wimbledon and it was like "Wow!" to see that and to see how she can come up with shots when she needs them.

Tennis Now: Your game is so technically strong. Would you ever consider coaching either on Tour or at an Academy as John is doing with the John McEnroe Tennis Academy?

Martina Hingis: My mom is doing it. So I go there and play with the kids she has. She has probably 150 kids, but I don't play in their daily routine. There's one girl who is probably top in Europe in her age group so that's nice. I mean, my mom's doing it and I'm just trying to help (laughs). I like to help but I don't see myself being a coach. I've done that. I've been there, done that. I'd rather do it myself. But helping out every now and then and going to the big events, why not?

great interview :) :) :) ( 21 july )

tom62
Jul 31st, 2010, 10:15 AM
new interview today with martina hingis

Article in the magazine Smash 2010 no. 8

Interview by Michael Hasler

Q: Martina Hingis, you played some exhibitions the last weeks. The most important was the one in Wimbledon. You played doubles with Anna Kournikova. This interview takes place some days after Wimbledon. How do you look back to your successful return to Wimbledon?
A: It was just great, especially with Anna. We had a really wonderful welcome at a full stadium. And Wimbledon was always a special tournament for me. Of course there is another feeling entering an exhibition than the main draw. I was clearly more relaxed and I could enjoy every moment.

Q: Nevertheless you didn’t enter the great courts for three years.. Were you not a bit stressed?
A: Of course I was a bit nervous. But the tension at an exhibition is not so great. And the public gave us a real warm welcome.

Q: I imagine that the matches in a main draw are like a musical contest. Exhibitions would be something like a pop concert. Can you accept such comparison?
A: I cannot give you an answer. I was never a pop singer. But you are surely more relaxed when playing exhibitions. And for the preparation you don’t need many hours. For a match you need always about 6-7 hours. An exhibition is by contrast just harmless. But I still try to play as well as possible. I would like to entertain the public and of course with my best tennis.

Q: When you returned to Wimbledon, didn’t you get some feeling of nostalgia?
A: Not necessarily. We could play our second match in Wimbledon on the centre court. This was really something special for me. But I know, that it need more to return to the main draw. You must have a clear commitment to this sport and the willingness to train eight or more hours. I am far apart from this. I know very well, how much work is behind a career like mine. And I had to expend more effort as I was not a great server like Serena and there had no „free“ points in my matches.

Q: How much do you play tennis nowadays?
A: I would say that I play regularly 1-2 times a week. Before exhibitions a bit more. The last weeks I played more or less every day.

Q: It seems that you play more exhibitions at the moment. Is this true?
A: That’s correct. I had a difficult time behind me when I could do only some few things regarding tennis. It was not easy for me as I really loved tennis and still do now. So these current exhibitions were really something special for me.

Q: After your exit from Wimbledon 2007 it looked as you retired pruposedly from public life.
A: Many of my public activities were connected with the tennis sport and there were bans and restrictions. Coaching and commentating were just not possible. But I will be only 30 and I am confident to have enough time to achieve all these ideas.

Q: What else did you do without tennis?
A: Much you could read in the newspaper and magazines… I had more time for my family and my privat life. And finally I had more time for equestrian sports. I was allowed to play some few exhibitions. I did not turn my back on tennis.

A: Could you enjoy this time without tennnis in any way?
Q: „Enjoy“ is a bit exaggerated (laughs). Of course I did things for which I have normally no time. But my whole life was dedicated to tennis sport and also many friends are from this sport. It was not an easy time for me. There were moments when I felt the emptiness which the missing tennis sport caused. Tennis was always my world. Also as a retreated player I would have liked to visit the Grand-Slam-tournaments, but I was barred from the stadiums. I was forced to search for new goals.

Q: You were dedicated to this sport from your early childhood. Did you contemplate after this involuntary break about a life without tennis?
A: That is not so easily to answer. Tennis was my school of life. If you look at John McEnroe or Pat Cash or even Tracy Austin, none of them can let go of tennis. I have probably the same problem. I am extremely characterized by tennis.

Q: Why is it so difficult to let go of tennis?
A: I can only answer for myself. I cannot let go. (laughs). Tennis is my feeling of being alive and such a wonderful sport.

Q: Which player from the WTA-Tour would you like to coach?
A: I would have to think about this for a longer time.

Q: In case you were five years younger, would you risk a come-back like Henin and Clijsters.
A: I really enjoyed the come-backs of the two Belgians. There are only few top players who have their own style of playing. Their play is alike. But regarding your question: I had already my come-back, and it was not so bad.

Q:Why does the current women tennis stagnate?
A: The training is too one-sided as far as I can see. The coaches are to be blamed and not the players. My training had some variety and I did not only try to hit the ball as fast as possible.

Q: Assumed you would have a daughter, would you encourage her to start a career as a tennis pro?
A: For this I need at first a daughter (laughs).

Q: This could be feasible…
A: It would be great, if my daughter would be interested in tennis or some other sport. For me sport is like a school of life. I wouldn’t care if it is a career in ski sport or tennis sport or something else. But I would try to inspire my daughter for sport.

Q: Where are you in ten years?
A: Oh my God, I even do not know what happens with me in the next 3-4 months. I am very spontaneous and like surprises

tom62
Aug 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
martina is dating with a french now :

It's Thibault Hutin, an 24-year old French equestrian. Obviously Martina's new boyfriend...there's an article in Blick about him.

pictures in my blog : http://kawai-hingis.skyrock.com