PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Say That V. Williams Is One Step Closer To Retirement Now?

meteor
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
i mean, seriously, wimbledon used to be her bread and butter. now, given her thumping by pironkova, and her increasing age, she must be wondering what slam she can win now. do you guys think she's proven all that she had to prove by now, and a swan song is calling?

by the way, NOT a hate thread. just a realistic assessment of where things are.

spencercarlos
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
i mean, seriously, wimbledon used to be her bread and butter. now, given her thumping by pironkova, and her increasing age, she must be wondering what slam she can win now. do you guys think she's proven all that she had to prove by now, and a swan song is calling?

by the way, NOT a hate thread. just a realistic assessment of where things are.
Everyday, every week and year that goes on, she is close to that. She and everybody else.. i don´t see what´s the big deal out of it.... It´s the natural course of life (tennis player´s life)..

Just enjoy her while you can (win or lose)..
:wavey:

Soliloque
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
She's maybe not as strong as before but she won't retire, at least not before the London Games.

RenaSlam.
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Top 4 player. No.

SoClose
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
She was asked the same question in her interview and she answer it. I don't think there is more to be said about it!!!

P.S. This thread about Venus has been circulating here for a couple of years lol

Direwolf
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:14 PM
can you say the same for a million players below her in the ranking?

Inger67
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Should every player retire after they have a bad loss? Seriously what the hell. She JUST turned 30, she already said her goal was to be in the olympic games in 2012 so maybe after that season. But for now, get over it and be used to seeing her name amongst the top of the rankings.

delicatecutter
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe she'll just be content with not winning Slams like she was from 2001-2005. :shrug:

doooma6816
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
She is nr 2 in the world...and she has good year...today she has off day, still it was QF.

sky20748
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Venus will retire when she is ready. That is what she stated. She still feels she is playing good tennis(I disagree but heh) The thing to do is now build on this. Instead of being down about this. Use this to fuel the fire and come strong at the next tournaments. What doesn't kill you only makes u stronger.

faboozadoo15
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
She had a bad day. I don't think this will get in the way of her playing until 2012 as planned.

maddogz48
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Some red flags about retirement have to be going up in her head after this loss.

I always believed that no matter how shitty Venus plays at every other tournament I could care less because I knew that once Wimbledon starts I would be guaranteed a great two weeks from her.
Now I can't even count on that anymore and it is very disappointing. She has become way too inconsistent and this Wimbledon loss only highlights this even further.

If she turns up next year (2011) and does not win Wimbledon, she is definitely on her way out of the game.
I have no expectations for her at the 2010 U.S. Open as her inconsistency will arise once the second week comes around.

ZODIAC
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
same can be said for Kim Dema and Justine

new-york
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM
5 games vs Pironk in a Wimbledon QF is an atrocious result.

that said, she will stick to her plans.

SV_Fan
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
The thing that has always bothered me is Venus is no wear near as mentally stable as Serena. After 2001, she has become way to nice and is now not as feared as she was in the late 90s and early 200s, she still has game no doubt, but once she gets her mental side together she will no doubt be a force once again.

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
:rolleyes:

These threads come around after seemingly every single Venus loss. At the end of the day she is still playing because she loves the game. Maybe if she falls out of the top 20/30 while still playing a full schedule then her results may play a part in a decision to retire. But she's ranked #2 and will go down to #4 with barely anything else to defend til the end of the year.

She's not Justine...

Soliloque
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
same can be said for Kim Dema and Justine

This.

Kim and Justine are way closer of their (second) retirement than Venus. Kim is gonna be pregnant again in the next two years and Justine will not stay once she'll know that she's done. Venus will bury them all (kinda).

nfl46
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM
If she doesn't win another grand slam leading up to the 2012 Olympics then she should consider ending at the 2012 US Open.

Matt01
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
This.

Kim and Justine are way closer of their (second) retirement than Venus. Kim is gonna be pregnant again in the next two years and Justine will not stay once she'll know that she's done. Venus will bury them all (kinda).

:rolleyes: You wish.

Soliloque
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
:rolleyes: You wish.

I'm not a Venus fan so it's more an intuition than a wish.

Vlover
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I think Kim and Justine might have a 2nd retirement before Venus. Only injury will keep Vee away from Wimbledon and the Olympics in 20012.

azinna
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Nope. She had a bad day. She's had worse seasons, lower nadirs. She's quite healthy and still hungry for more. She's actually doing well, becoming more consistent, and it will not be a surprise to anyone (including herself) if she wins a slam over the next 16 months. So from Venus' perspective, there's no reason to consider retirement.

But from some spectators' perspective, the reasons to retire seem so numerous and persuasive....

BluSthil
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I think it is doubtful that Venus will win another Grand Slam. I'm confident that she will play a couple more years and win some 1st tier tournaments, but a major seems a stretch.

KimandJu
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM
This.

Yeah right... Don't forget Henin played a GS final this year. And Venus???

Ferg
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I dont think it'll happen till 2012.

nevetssllim
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Yawn.

Loads of people said the same thing after her loss to Li Na and she had a very good run afterwards. She seems to be injury free, she's winning doubles in Grand Slams for fun , and she's still a top-five player.

meteor
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Some red flags about retirement have to be going up in her head after this loss.

I always believed that no matter how shitty Venus plays at every other tournament I could care less because I knew that once Wimbledon starts I would be guaranteed a great two weeks from her.
Now I can't even count on that anymore and it is very disappointing. She has become way too inconsistent and this Wimbledon loss only highlights this even further.

If she turns up next year (2011) and does not win Wimbledon, she is definitely on her way out of the game.
I have no expectations for her at the 2010 U.S. Open as her inconsistency will arise once the second week comes around.

thank you so much for injecting rationale into this thread! anyone who thinks that she will keep on going until after 2012 is deluded. more and more, it just seems like she's done.

by the way, what about her love life? i thought she was about to marry some golfer.

narutos
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:40 PM
She better win US Open but I have the feeling a certain Serena will come back in revenge mode after what happened in 2009.

meteor
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
:rolleyes:

These threads come around after seemingly every single Venus loss. At the end of the day she is still playing because she loves the game. Maybe if she falls out of the top 20/30 while still playing a full schedule then her results may play a part in a decision to retire. But she's ranked #2 and will go down to #4 with barely anything else to defend til the end of the year.

She's not Justine...

maybe, yes, but these threads obviously have more weight when she gets crushed in the qf's of her favorite slam :rolleyes:.

kiwifan
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
YES, because every day the 2012 Olympics are a day closer ;) other than that...

...quit being stupid, y'all. :nerner:

:cool:

edificio
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM
It is safe to say that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER is one step closer to retirement. Geezuz, help me.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
No

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Man just because she lost today does not mean its time for retirement. I still say she can win Wimbledon next year and in 2012 if she stays healthy. Venus game wasnt there today...when her serve is off, everything else turns shitty. She'll go back and work on her serve....all we can do is hope that she can do well the rest of the year. Do I see her winning the US open, NO lol, but she always have a chance at that and the Australian when her game is on. So....retirement could be near, but its not time for it yet.

Serendy Willick
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Maybe Clijsters and Henin should be thrown in this conversation too. They havent lit it up like everyone thought they would either.

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm a step closer to retirement.

At least she can afford to. I'm going to be greeting you at Walmart.

narutos
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Maybe Clijsters and Henin should be thrown in this conversation too. They havent lit it up like everyone thought they would either.

Clijsters won US open even though she is inconsistent atm she won a Major pretty quickly Henin OTOH I agree I don't even know why she came back.

dsanders06
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Yawn.

Loads of people said the same thing after her loss to Li Na and she had a very good run afterwards. She seems to be injury free, she's winning doubles in Grand Slams for fun , and she's still a top-five player.

After her loss to Li, I wrote on here that I thought Venus might maintain consistency at WTA tournaments, but that she would probably never win a Slam again. And today's result I think confirmed the assessment I made then: she still has game, but her nerve's gone. Venus has always been prone to losing a set 6-2 to the Tsvetana Pironkova's of the WTA, but the Venus of yesteryear playing in a Wimbledon QF would've managed to get fired up after losing that set and eventually pull it out. Today, she just didn't have it in her mentally.

She might continue to win a lot of matches on the WTA Tour, but you wonder if winning bog-standard WTA tournaments and the consolation prizes of doubles Grand Slams will be enough for her.

Roookie
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Clijsters won US open even though she is inconsistent atm she won a Major pretty quickly Henin OTOH I agree I don't even know why she came back.

A slam final and two titles in 6 months :shrug:. Yes dissapointing results at RG and WI but its not the disaster of Venus "number two in the world" Williams who's suffered some serious beatdowns lately.

spencercarlos
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Since Henin and Clijsters cameback both have done better than Venus in grand slam play for example.

And yesterday one belguim erasing the other from the draw is like Serena beating Venus or viceversa early at a slam (eg Uso 2008 QF) so....:tape:

mdterp01
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Oh god not this shit again!! Go read her interview and see what she says about it.

darrinbaker00
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:52 PM
She might continue to win a lot of matches on the WTA Tour, but you wonder if winning bog-standard WTA tournaments and the consolation prizes of doubles Grand Slams will be enough for her.
I can think of about 2,000,000 reasons why it should be:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/PrizeMoneyRankings/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

Working for a living is vastly overrated, Venus. If you can, keep playing until you're 50. ;)

dsanders06
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I can think of about 2,000,000 reasons why it should be:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/PrizeMoneyRankings/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html

Working for a living is vastly overrated, Venus. If you can, keep playing until you're 50. ;)

Unless Venus is a chronic (and bad) gambler, I'm pretty sure she'll have a lot of money to burn by now. I'm not really sure that's enough to motivate her.

VishaalMaria
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM
A slam final and two titles in 6 months :shrug:. Yes dissapointing results at RG and WI but its not the disaster of Venus "number two in the world" Williams who's suffered some serious beatdowns lately.

I think you'll be happy to know Venus is not number 2 anymore. In fact it's Jelena "I have yet to win a singles slam" Jankovic. Definitely MUCH better. :)

dsanders06
Jun 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I think you'll be happy to know Venus is not number 2 anymore. In fact it's Jelena "I have yet to win a singles slam" Jankovic. Definitely MUCH better. :)

Atleast Jankovic has made a Slam SF in the last 12 months unlike Venus :shrug:

narutos
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Oh god not this shit again!! Go read her interview and see what she says about it.

Itw don't mean anything what was Henin saying before she quit?

VishaalMaria
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM

You're right. Unlike Jelena, Venus made the Wimbledon final twelve months ago. And as I recall, that's better than a semi-final.

So yeah, like I said, Jelena being number two is MUCH better.

But you know, congrats to her. She's obviously collected all the points she's needed to, to become number two.

Regardless of who IS number two, Venus doesn't deserve to be there. I hope she shows me otherwise.

hitchem
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I think a major problem for Venus is that her body doesn't seem to hold up after even a couple weeks of tennis. Her body has always been fragile, but coupled with age, I don't see how she can maintain top form over long periods of time.

Even at the beginning of the tournament, it was clear that she wasn't moving as well as she has in the past. Sure, she was still moving fine, but she wasn't tracking down every ball; she often seemed late to get in position. Against Pironkova, her movement was really subpar. She didn't even chase after shots she surely could have gotten to had she been near peak form. Maybe this was a consequence of some injury she's not talking about, and I'm sure she's feeling some degree of pain (who isn't?), but I'm not sure we can expect her even to go two straight weeks without her body breaking down to some degree.

The Dawntreader
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Same old, same old. Has been this way since her loss to Sprem in '04.

The tennis world is going to get much more challenging for Venus going into her thirties, but if she believes she has the conviction and the game, then retirement is a non-issue. It's ultimately whether she can sustain a high-level career in this tennis climate, and she's hardly looking out-dated.

Something Sam Smith said about Venus in Rome, i found quite interesting. She stated that champion's have only a certain number 'of great matches' against quality opposition in their careers, and i kinda wonder where Venus's game is on clutch moments. Reminds me a little of Graf in '98/early 99 before her surge at RG and Wimbledon. The game is there, but as Venus gets older, the innate big-match winning instincts don't become as clear, nor as easy to replicate.

This loss is a thinking point for Venus, a real thinking point. From what we've learnt of Venus though, is that she's made a career of overcoming defeatism by the press, peers etc.

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM
she said today she will not even put it into the equation. it's a loss. she'll be back.

mdterp01
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Why are there no "Should Patty Schnyder retire" threads?

Rollo
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
It's one defeat. She's been having a good year up to this point. One bad day should not equal retirement.

dynamoRockstarr
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:17 AM
hell to the no

jefrilibra
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:19 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mwfc47.gif

Vlover
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM
When asked by a reporter if maybe tennis isn't what she would want to pursue all the time:

"Well why wouldn't I wanna pursue this....I mean I'm pretty good at it.....most days (devilish grin). Today I wasn't the best player but for the most part I rock'n'roll this game. So I'll give it up when I'm just terrible. It would take more than a few bad days a year to make me quit tennis so that's not even in the equation."
For those who were hoping!

davidmario
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Go to Wimbledon.org -> check out her interview -> come back here -> close thread.

HippityHop
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:26 AM
People were saying the same thing after her first round loss to Schett at RG some years back.

Singing: When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

But one thing that I'm willing to bet on is that when Venus and Serena do retire there will be a lot more one slam wonders running around than there are now.

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I would say catergorically that Venus Williams will be two weeks closer to her retirement at the end of Wimbledon than she was when the tournament began, the same as every other player in the draw. That is as far as I would go.

winone23
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Why on earth should Venus retire when she loves what she does, she's still fit, she's making millions, and is a top player?

thegreendestiny
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:23 AM
For her sake and tennis's sake, I think it's about time that she should. Ohh, and world peace. :wavey:

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Not retiring anytime soon...but man how her career went past her. She had a shot at double digits in majors, but now it's even the question if she'll even win more than 7!

Junex
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Didn't you know that Justine needs to win another Slam for Venus to be bothered to win another Wimbledon?
:devil:

mdterp01
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
LOL @ the fool who said at least Jankovic has made a slam semi in the last 12 months. At least Venus has won the last 4 doubles majors with her sister. Why should she retire when she has that to count on and add to her legacy. She will keep plugging away at singles and if she doesn't win there, she can still add some doubles hardware to her trophy case. I mean this is ridiculous. She's had one of her most consistent years in awhile and now its retirement talk? I mean I think Olympics 2012 seems like that will be the time since she will be 32. She's certainly not far from retirement but this thread is just :rolleyes: :weirdo:

maddogz48
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:14 AM
It's one defeat. She's been having a good year up to this point. One bad day should not equal retirement.

It is not just one trivial defeat. This loss is significant and most definitely will hurt more than other defeats for the mere fact that it is at Wimbledon.

Not much is expected of Venus at any other Grand Slam since she consistently underperforms everywhere else.

At this point of her career, Grand Slams alone matter and none of the other smaller tournaments (Dubai, Miami, Acapulco, Rome, Sony Ericsson Championships, etc.) really mean anything much for a person of her calibre, which is why a loss at these smaller tournaments are forgivable and excusable but cannot be overlooked at Wimbledon.

Everyone will now have to wait until Wimbledon 2011 before we can all see Venus hopefully add to her Grand Slam tally because these 'bad days' will most certainly occur at the 2010 U.S. Open, 2011 Aussie Open & definitely at the 2011 French Open.

:wavey: So that's it for Venus until this time next year.

eezenwa
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:22 AM
What about the other players that has not made 26 million dollars and won 7 grandslams, should they also retire too?

Stamp Paid
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I hope not. She needs to play until 2012 so Sarin can win the gold medal, then she can quit.

Temperenka
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:29 AM
She has earned 1.5 million in singles and 0.5 million in doubles this year.

I don't think I would retire with that sort of income :shrug:

I don't think Venus will win another major, but she surely shouldn't retire yet... she is still a consistent player and can earn a lot of money and win a significant number more doubles titles.

homogenius
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:50 AM

She tried to be more consistent and succeed in a way compared to the previous years but will she be happy with that ? The past couple of months was her best chance in ages to get to n°1 spot but she felt short, no big titles or big scalps this year...and some BAD losses.She's having a year 'a la Wozniacki'.Not sure she'll be satisfied with that at this stage of her career.

mdterp01
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM
What about the other players that has not made 26 million dollars and won 7 grandslams, should they also retire too?

This!!!

mirzalover
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I had a feeling she would lose today but this whole retirement thing is dumb. She is 30 and older of course she is close to retirement but her losing the the quarters of wimbledon after making the finals since 07s really isnt that horrible. Her play today wasnt at the same level it has been all year. When her playing like she did today becomes more common place I'll then have my doubts. I really think she can win another slam outside wimbledon...the tour is weak. All it is really is Serena pretty much.

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Obviously any 30 year old tennis player is closer to retirement. It is unfortunate that she cant insert herself more firmly in the other tournaments and grand slam titles but 2011 Wimbledon will tell us a lot about her future in tennis.

I honestly think the 2009 Wimbledon was her last chance to win a GS and she blew it...

OneSlamWonder
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM
No it's not. She is still good.

In last 10 years she lost only to 4 players on Wimbledon, Serena(3), Sprem(1), JJ(1) and now Pironkova(1). That's pretty much amazing to me. And all loses to Serena came in final, which is also very understandable. Cmon guys, I am not her fan but she deserves full respect and is still very very good for woman's tennis.

If you think this is a reason to retire, have a look at Ana. :tape:

Pat Bateman
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Yep, Venus is done. She has had a good run, though.:yeah:

madlove
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM
its part and parcel of life.. you win some.. you lose some. and cmon, she's not getting any younger... there's gonna be shocking losses here and there.. so?

StephenUK
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I think she'll stay until 2012, it depends on how well she does between now and then as to whether she will stay on longer than that. It's not like she's got much competition to be in the US Olympic team!

ZODIAC
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
you ^people rant about Venus retiring as if you know her destiny,Krumm,Justine,Serena,Patty,Garbin,Schiavon e,Kim,Craybas,Stubb,Huber,Dema should all retire because they are all around the same age.
If you read her tweets after RG you can tell she didnt prepare enough because she had a book coming out,she was busy doing something.Her loss had something to do with preparing to launch her book tour same with Serena she was stressed about her book and lost focus.

Matt01
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
She has earned 1.5 million in singles and 0.5 million in doubles this year.

I don't think I would retire with that sort of income :shrug:

I'm sure you wouldn't. But a player who has already made billions of dollars by playing tennis and by sponsoring probably doesn't play tennis for the money anymore but for winning the big titles (and for the love for the sport and competing).

darrinbaker00
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm sure you wouldn't. But a player who has already made billions of dollars by playing tennis and by sponsoring probably doesn't play tennis for the money anymore but for winning the big titles (and for the love for the sport and competing).
Well, she sure isn't giving any of the money back, so it's safe to say that she's playing for all of the above.

HippityHop
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Because Patty has never been a threat to folk's faves, unlike Venus.

MegaDethly
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
How dare you.

MegaDethly
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I hope not. She needs to play until 2012 so Sarin can win the gold medal, then she can quit.

Shouldn't you be more concerned about Serena winning the singles? Or are you saying you believe she'll retire as soon as Venus does?

I'm pretty sure theres nothing gonna stop Venus from competing in the 2012 Olympics - it's come out of her own moth enough times.

serenafann
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
No it is NOT safe to say.

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Yawn.

yeah, but, mr. arrogant, complacent, and self-satisfied, when was the last time she lost in the qf's at wimbledon? takes your mind back a while, doesn't it? trust me, dude, she is done.

Inger67
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:29 PM
So should Roger retire now after a bad loss in the QF? He has never lost a set 6-1 at Wimbledon before but now he did so that must mean he is getting older and should retire now, right? :rolleyes: People have off days, no matter if it's on their favorite surface or not. People probably said the same thing about Venus after her '06 loss too, but then she went on to win two more titles and make another final...

volta
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
all we need is a IP check :sad:

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM

yes, exactly this shit again, and why don't you quit your illogical obeisance to these two, and read between the lines. this woman is done! taking someone like you seriously in this situation, is like taking george bush seriously, when he wants to go to war with iraq!

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:34 PM

i love you for this vital input of intelligence :)!

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:38 PM

because patty is well-liked, unlike how most people feel about v. williams :lol:.

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
i love you for this vital input of intelligence :)!

Intelligence? How ironic.

Venus made the Wimbledon final twelve months ago.:tape:

meteor
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
People were saying the same thing after her first round loss to Schett at RG some years back.

Singing: When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

But one thing that I'm willing to bet on is that when Venus and Serena do retire there will be a lot more one slam wonders running around than there are now.

yes, and they were right :devil:. tell me, my friend, how many french opens has she won since then? exactly :D.

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
because patty is well-liked, unlike how most people feel about v. williams :lol:.

Sarcasm? :scared:

VishaalMaria
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
yes, and they were right :devil:. tell me, my friend, how many french opens has she won since then? exactly :D.

But that's not the point, she won five slams since then.

volta
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM

she just got one this year :unsure:

volta
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
doubles don't count, nimrod :rolleyes:.

you asked how many RG she won i just gave you the answer.

DeliriousPotato
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:31 PM
If I were a tennis champ, Dubai, Acapulco and a couple of finals at important Premier 5 events would definately keep me in the game :lol:
And she's in the Top 10, why would she want to go away???

Uranus
Jul 1st, 2010, 12:05 AM
I actually thought she was going down at the end of last year and that she was close to retirement. Then she bounced back amazingly this year, winning tournaments against worthy players. Can't tell. She's still at the top, but she suffers random losses. Just like everyone on the Tour. I think she should stay - she's everything but over.

HippityHop
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM
It's amazing how many people take these foolish questions seriously.

woosey
Jul 1st, 2010, 01:52 AM
isn't venus the number 2 player on the tour, behind none other than serena?

it was a fluke loss. shit happens...

moving on...

Volcana
Jul 1st, 2010, 02:00 AM
I think her last slam is the 2012 US Open. Especially if she's thinking about having kids.

AnomyBC
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM
Well technically every tournament that goes by she's one tournament closer to retirement :)