PDA

View Full Version : Is the Technology Killing Women's Tennis?

tonybotz
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I started to think about what the biggest difference between ten years ago and today is in the women's game. it seems everyone hits the crap out of the ball now because the strings and racquets allow them to hit with more spin and produce more power than ever before. this allows someone who isn't that great a player to suddenly get "hot" and be able to produce what are, essentially, "lucky shots".

What do you think? Is the technology too much for the women? is it making them all into brainless bashers who only win when the ball happens to land inside the lines? Baseball bans players from using metal bats. i'm not saying go back to wood, but should there be some stricter regulations on racquets and strings?

The Witch-king
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Whatever makes your fave win

tonybotz
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
actually i don't have a "fave". i'm a fan of the sport, and it's gone to the dogs.

The Witch-king
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
You know I kind of agree. My interest in the sport is beginning to wane.

ViceUltramontain
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I think it's a matter of time, Kim and Justine are going to be good again (and consistent), Sharapova looks in her way back, Dementieva is like eternal, Venus and Serena are still there, Zvonareva and Petrova are looking well again. Kuzzy, well, her brain will be back one day. I have the feeling that 2011 is going to be good.

2Black
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
actually i don't have a "fave". i'm a fan of the sport, and it's gone to the dogs.

Not on the men's side

The Witch-king
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think it's a matter of time, Kim and Justine are going to be good again (and consistent), Sharapova looks in her way back, Dementieva is like eternal, Venus and Serena are still there, Zvonareva and Petrova are looking well again. Kuzzy, well, her brain will be back one day. I have the feeling that 2011 is going to be good.

THey said that about 2010.

ViceUltramontain
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
THey said that about 2010.

They were obviously wrong.
But one can just hope.

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I've, on occasion, muttered about going back to wood myself. But they won't, because they want to sell rackets.

For years now, racket makers have been adding more and more power to rackets which has favored ball-bashers and, ironically, the pushers who can make them suffer. Now, I may be a little behind the times, but I've been racket shopping with my son this past week and I am seeing some newer rackets with things like denser string patterns, higher maximum tensions, built in dampeners and other things like that than when I last shopped for a racket about four years ago. MAYBE the control part of the equation is going to catch up to the power part. I also know there are some new strings coming onto the market that are hyping better control with today's super-powerful rackets.

The men, to a certain extent, compensated by getting bigger and stronger (the women did too, but ironically that made the power issue worse instead of better--not to be sexist but there are still just some simple differences between men and women).

As is so often the case, the technology that's hurting us may be what saves us.

Gdsimmons
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM
No I dont. I think its helped it, a lot

Rollo
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I started to think about what the biggest difference between ten years ago and today is in the women's game. it seems everyone hits the crap out of the ball now because the strings and racquets allow them to hit with more spin and produce more power than ever before. this allows someone who isn't that great a player to suddenly get "hot" and be able to produce what are, essentially, "lucky shots".

What do you think? Is the technology too much for the women? is it making them all into brainless bashers who only win when the ball happens to land inside the lines? Baseballhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=413575#) bans players from using metal bats. i'm not saying go back to wood, but should there be some stricter regulations on racquets and strings?

I think it goes back more than ten years. The difference between now and ten years ago was in 1999-2000 we still had the likes of Jana Novotna and Nathalie Tauziat. But even then they were a dying breed.

I don't mind the ball bashing. It can produce brilliant tennis at times. What is missing is the sheer variety in past contests. The contrast of an Evert vs Navratilova or Sampras vs Agassi battle is just gone.

There is a bit more variety in the men's game because they can volley, but the contrast between Nadal and Federer doesn't come close to McEnroe-Borg.

Serve and volley is dead. That's a direct result of technology and the dominance of slow hard courts and clay.

Amalgamate
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I think the technology has helped the women's game and hurt the men's.

denny5576
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:08 AM
No. On the contrary....

goldenlox
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I dont think it matters. As more money came into the sport, more girls were encouraged to play by their parent(s)
So there are a lot of big strong girls trying to make the tour, and most of them can hit the ball hard.

Thats where womens tennis was going to go, unless you want to go back to wood rackets.