PDA

View Full Version : Venus and Vera analyze Pironkova's game

Kworb
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Whose analysis is more accurate?

Q. This is a player who has now beaten you twice. What is about her and her game that does give you difficulty?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, I don't even really remember anything from last time. I think, you know, one of her biggest strengths is she's pretty quick around the court.

---

Q. What were her strengths when you played her in Moscow?

VERA ZVONAREVA: I think she's all‑over‑the‑court player. You know, it's hard to predict what she's doing on the court. Sometimes she can slice; sometimes she can hit the ball; sometimes she can play slow; sometimes she can play fast. You never know what to expect, so you lose your rhythm. Then you start thinking maybe too much on the court.

Slutiana
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Your point is...?

They're both right.

wildemu
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
sounds like a stab at venus's game-planning.

DefyingGravity
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Both are right. She's amazingly quick, and she knows how to disrupt tempo.

tennis-insomniac
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
agree vee and vera are both right pironk is quick and she has some vicious slice forehand yakkk

Direwolf
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Vee recently lost 2-6 3-6
and
Vera
0-6 2-6....

maybe instead of thinking about their opponents game..
they should think of how to beat her instead!!..

Vikapower
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM
maybe instead of thinking about their opponents game..
they should think of how to beat her instead!!..
:yeah:

Bruno71
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
sounds like a stab at venus's game-planning.

A valid one.

dsanders06
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
She has an awesome first serve and backhand - both of them looked first-class today. With that said, I can understand why she is ranked as low as she is, because she just has too many holes in her game - her 2nd serve is very attackable, and that 'chopper' forehand looks terrible at times (it worked reasonably effectively today, but that's because slice is especially effective on grass - I can imagine it would work terribly on hard and clay), and while she's a solid mover, I don't think she's fast enough to play a strong defensive game if her opponent isn't allowing her to dictate with her backhand.