PDA

View Full Version : Tips for tournaments please

Delfii
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Im going to start playing tournaments next week. Im going to play in singles and in doubles. I just wanted to you to post your experiences and some tips (to win :lol:)
Delfii

miffedmax
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
How old are you and how long have you been playing?

Delfii
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Sorry I was at my English class :)
Im 12 and I been playing for 1 year and 3 months :)

DefyingGravity
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I would say, tournaments for you should definitely be looking at these as chances to see where your game is and how you can take steps to improve. Don't really heed the results as how good/bad you're playing. Make your own judgment on how it went based on things like returns in court, winners, did you make your opponent play.

Also, be sure to have fun. This is a time where you need to continue to build a love of the game. It just gets real downhill with people calling their own lines...:ugh:

Delfii
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM

Daruma.
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Take your time. There is no reason to rush. Concentration is really important. Always remember to calm down after each mistake. And again, don't rush.

I would also suggest you to take a bit cold shower before the match.

Delfii
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Oh yes cold shower :yeah:
I need something to calm my temper because I loose it when I make UE :o
I been playing in my club with other girls and I see that my shots are stronger but my technique isn't really good, I need to work on that.
Tomorrow Im going to see my draw :bounce:
I'll tell you about that :)

Daruma.
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I wish you all the best!

:cheer:

DefyingGravity
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Oh yes cold shower :yeah:
I need something to calm my temper because I loose it when I make UE :o
I been playing in my club with other girls and I see that my shots are stronger but my technique isn't really good, I need to work on that.
Tomorrow Im going to see my draw :bounce:
I'll tell you about that :)

Please let us know! And don't be a Clijsters...slow down if you feel it getting away from you.

Delfii
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Yes Im going to tell you :)
And thanks for all your messages :hug: your support is very very welcome thanks :D
I been waiting a long time to play a tournament, I remember when I was eight that I used to play in my garden and dream that I beat Roger or Serena :haha:

Aaron.
Jun 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Make sure you drink a lot of water the day before don't drink a lot the day of the match. During the match you should drink a sports drink like gatorade or powerade..

Before your match make sure you warm up like 20-30 minutes before..maybe you can hit a few groundstrokes and warm-up somewhere, but if you can't just use a jump rope and maybe jog a little.

During the match try to not let the situation get the best of you it's just a tennis match and not life or death. Remember your playing to have fun and develop your game winning is just a bonus

Good luck

Direwolf
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Every point is a new point...

Dont let the last point affect you...

Take a deep breath after the last point...

Focus, recouperate every change overs...

Keep your andrenaline up so that you could see the ball clearly..!! keep yourself pumped

The Witch-king
Jul 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Take your time. There is no reason to rush. Concentration is really important. Always remember to calm down after each mistake. And again, don't rush.

I would also suggest you to take a bit cold shower before the match.

Why the cold shower??:confused:
Yes Im going to tell you :)
And thanks for all your messages :hug: your support is very very welcome thanks :D
I been waiting a long time to play a tournament, I remember when I was eight that I used to play in my garden and dream that I beat ... Serena :haha:

http://beat.bodoglife.com/wp-content/uploads/Tyra_8.jpg

Daruma.
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Why the cold shower??:confused:

Here (http://ezinearticles.com/?Benefits-of-Taking-a-Cold-Shower&id=326786) and Here (http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/18/the-james-bond-shower-a-shot-of-cold-water-for-health-and-vitality/) :)

Ferg
Jul 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
Eat a jaffa cake at every changeover.

Delfii
Jul 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Playing tomorrow at 10 am :D
My opponent is ranked 7 :unsure:
But she is small so I hope I can play a good match.
And also playing doubles on Saturday ;)

martinafan
Jul 9th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Good luck.....

Don't worry too much about your results, at your age it is more important to develop your technique and strokes, which will probably mean u don't get the results you want, but it is much better in the long run.

Buitenzorg
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Playing tomorrow at 10 am :D
My opponent is ranked 7 :unsure:
But she is small so I hope I can play a good match.
And also playing doubles on Saturday ;)

1st never underestimate your opponent

2nd try your best

3rd learn from the experiences

4th keep try and train harder

Buitenzorg
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:41 AM
good luck to you :)

Delfii
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I just come thank for your support :hug:
My opponent trashed me :sobbing: 6-0 6-1
I played my best but she was to good for me :'(
Im going to keep practicing, tomorrow I have doubles :)

Daruma.
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I just come thank for your support :hug:
My opponent trashed me :sobbing: 6-0 6-1
I played my best but she was to good for me :'(
Im going to keep practicing, tomorrow I have doubles :)

Don't worry! Even Venus Williams lost to Jelena 0&1! :lol: This defeat means that you need to practise more and considering this is your first match(right? ), it doesn't mean anything about your level.

Good luck in doubles and have fun! :kiss:

Delfii
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks so much :) you made me smile
I need to practice more, but I didn't played a horrible match for me It was good just the result was awful.

Direwolf
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
may I know what you learned from your loss??

The Witch-king
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Don't worry! Even Venus Williams lost to Jelena 0&1! :lol: This defeat means that you need to practise more and considering this is your first match(right? ), it doesn't mean anything about your level.

Good luck in doubles and have fun! :kiss:

was that necessary. :fiery:

I lost my first match (doubles) 1 & 0 if that's any consolation :sobbing:

Daruma.
Jul 20th, 2010, 08:24 PM
was that necessary. :fiery:

I lost my first match (doubles) 1 & 0 if that's any consolation :sobbing:

I'm sorry for youVenus! Delfii needed some encouragement! :)
Better luck next time! ;)

atltennisfactory
Oct 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Have fun and win the last point...http://www.youtube.com/user/atlantatennisfactory?feature=mhum#p/a/f/0/pAEudv51l78