MaratPure
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
poor Na:o

Polikarpov
Serena and Na seems to be BFFs.

doni1212
This is the best Serena has played all tournament off the ground!! And ONLY 11 aces, :lol:
Keep it up!

matty
:hearts: Congrats Serena !!! :hearts:

hankqq
:eek: upset! a top player actually won a match.

Serenita
Serena good job

ElusiveChanteuse
Na :hug:
Rena :cheer: No. 13 SHOULD be on lock now.

mckyle.
Fucking Li Na :lol: What a l00ser

Serena's going to win Wimbledon playing like Andy Roddick :happy:

Ellery
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Good effort by Na :hug: Serena looks very strong :cheer:

choi15
Wooo Serena :bounce::bounce:

The most reliable top player nowadays :lol::worship:

gmokb
Yeah, thanks Serena:worship: At least a Williams is still there.

Go grab your 13th slam:wavey:

Daniel K
Just give her the trophy.

Well done Serena, great serving display and very good off the ground today.
Bad luck Na. Too many mental lapses.

John.
:cheer: Woo Fucking Hoo

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
:inlove:

Bronx19
Li had that. That service game at 5-5 40-0 was an absolute match killer.

swim4life227
WTA is not saved yet

That doesn't even make sense. The WTA would be saved by no big names making the semis at Wimbledon? The WTA needs Serena right now to pull this through, I don't think they want another joke winner at a slam.

LudwigDvorak
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Li so disappointing, but I guess I never really thought you could do it.

I will say that Serena has been outplayed from the ground for the majority of her matches. She was being pushed back, dictated, overpowered by Li. She played smart and used her experience. Started taking something off the ball and defending more using the pressure of Li knowing she has to hold to scare breaks out of her.

Typical Serena performance + Typical Li performance.

fightserena!!!
So she sent the media away from the practice courts because she was having a bad session. She did very well then. She did well anyway. Some wild groundies here and there but that serve of hers is such an asset. Li is a good match for her, but in Australia Serena was also hampered by injury so I guess this was the more accurate result. Still, could have gone either way first set. I am reluctant to predict the overall winner since there are so many unknown quantities left in the draw, but I hope Serena can take confidence from this and take the title. This could be her best year yet for defending GS titles :)

J.Bravo
She's the world #1.
Her ROS has improved greatly.
The serve is still god-like.

BuTtErFrEnA

Serena's going to win Wimbledon playing like Andy Roddick :happy:

better than not winning it eh? :rolls:

tennnisfannn
well done serena, pls stay sober for two more wins!

kiwifan
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
The only shining light on a dark day for the old guard. :smoke:

Mynarco
Li is just soooo weak mentally.

serenafan08
WTG Serena! Shoot, at least we can count on her. #13, here we come. Two more to go, but you can't underestimate anyone. Good luck in the semis Serena!

mdterp01
:rolls: No upset x's 2 for the haters and it was really Serena who needed to be taken out cuz Venus wasn't winning it regardless. Wow...so funny. Serena showed that unlike her sister, she has a plan B. She didn't try to hit harder when it was a close first set. She didn't serve GOATlike and still came through. Li totally F'd up 40-0 up at 5-5 in the first but thats called pressure and if you don't have the mental aspect to survive big moments then you don't deserve to win.

GO SERENA :banana: THE TITLE IS YOURS FOR THE TAKING!!!

gmokb
:eek: upset! a top player actually won a match.

:lol:

jefrilibra
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Serena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Renalicious
Well done Serena. :unsure: A top player through. :lol:

Now do NOT take Kanepi or Kvitova for granted!

azinna
Serena getting her return and ground game going. Just enough spin and percentage play to put pressure. Solid B+ to go with the A/A- serve and A mental game.

Serenus Christ
thanks for saving my life

Libertango
Oh silly Na! *That* was an opportunity if you're ever gonna get one against Serena in a situation like this. Serena basically won after breaking for 6-5 first set. Was over right there.

Gotta hand it to Serena though; she competes (and serves) like NO-ONE else. :worship:

Still, Na ... :sad: :rolleyes:

Wonder what they said at the net; all I heard was Serena say "oh thank you so much" - are they BFF's?!! :D

nashi
:(All is over

Kworb
Serena :worship: 13 Slams! No longer tied with BJK. #6 on the all time list behind Court, Graf, Moody, Navratilova and Evert.

hurricanejeanne
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM
GOATrena. :bounce:

Awesome run by Na, she should have a nice great summer. :D

Elwin.
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thank god Serena :yeah:

Diesel
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yes Serena! Keep it up and keep it going

:clap2:

supergrunt
Serena :D !

Avid Merrion
:bounce: Well done Serena!! :D

The way today has gone, I was fearing another shock result :scared: So glad you're through! :kiss:

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Congrats Serena! :)

Na? Li? :hug:

cellophane
Na played a much stronger match at the Australian this year when she took Rena to 2 tiebreaks. :shrug:

This was.... meh

Zhao
Li Na was kicking her ass of the ground the whole match but moby is right

0-15 Serena served an ace... 15-30 unreturnable serve or ace :sad::sad:

Serena is saved by her GOAT serve... the perfect weapon on this surface... n kudos to her...

sammy01
thank god, serena isn't even playing that well off the ground, but it doesn't matter shes serving well/great and is not a mental midget. im not sure if i do or don't want her to win the semi and finals 6-0 6-0 lol

2Black
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Great Job!!! ... STAY FOCUSED SERENA!!!

Mrs. Peel
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Well done Serena. I expected Na to be tough. You kept your composure. Do not underestimate your next opponents like your sister. :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Serena's going to win Wimbledon playing like Andy Roddick :happy:Mad?

Mrs. Peel
The serve is so epic! :bounce:

mckyle.
Mad?

No, you??

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Yes Serena! Keep it up and keep it going

:clap2:

She needs to win this! I want to see all the hater's heads explode one by one. :drool:

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:51 PM
:rolls: No upset x's 2 for the haters and it was really Serena who needed to be taken out cuz Venus wasn't winning it regardless. Wow...so funny. Serena showed that unlike her sister, she has a plan B. She didn't try to hit harder when it was a close first set. She didn't serve GOATlike and still came through. Li totally F'd up 40-0 up at 5-5 in the first but thats called pressure and if you don't have the mental aspect to survive big moments then you don't deserve to win.

Bet this thread won't go 31 pages:lol:

noamgdi
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
:woohoo:
serena played well, li helped her...

maddogz48
Good win Serena.
Nice to see you play consistent unlike that crapfest that Venus put on earlier today.

harloo
No, you??

You do seem upset. :tape::lol:

Serenita
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Rome
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
WTA is not saved yet

You mad bro?

Zweli
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Well done Ree, Love you!!

mdterp01
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Bet this thread won't go 31 pages:lol:

Oh of course not...of course not. :lol: I'd be shocked if it made 10 pages

Shaun:::
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:56 PM
woo.....Serena takes the champion please:angel:
hope nana can do better in this summer season

is1531
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
It was 5-5 in the ist set with Lee leading 40-0, then London bridge came tumbling down.It was 5 straight points for Serena.

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:57 PM
No, you??:lol::lol::p

flareon
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Well done serena win it all!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
5 pages??? :(

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Leave it up to ole Rena....she rarely dissapoints...PROUD OF YOU LIL SIS! Lets keep Williams on the trophy NO MERCY!

NeoZod19
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Na chocked and it`s now a cakewalk for Serena......

Rome
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Li Na was kicking her ass of the ground the whole match but moby is right

0-15 Serena served an ace... 15-30 unreturnable serve or ace :sad::sad:

Serena is saved by her GOAT serve... the perfect weapon on this surface... n kudos to her...

What i notice from Serena off the Ground is she was not going for it. I think Serena hates when her pace gets used against her. NA is one of the best at it and some fasters players can do that which is the reason she never really hits hard until she has to. Strange way to play if you ask me but i have notice this with Serena.

Mixal
Very good from Serena and the handshake was so funny :lol:

Lucky #13 is very close! :bounce:

timafi
:shrug: never in doubt:shrug: :lol:

Serendy Willick
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Choked on what:rolleyes:? I didnt see any set points or match points. Quit crying because hopefully it will be the Serena Williams invitational.

starin
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
:worship::worship::worship: Serena
can you imagine a sf line up of: Li v. Kanpei/kvitova and Zvonereva v. Pironkova. :tape::tape:

great job Serena! don't care how you won just that you got it done.

mdterp01
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
:worship::worship::worship: Serena
can you imagine a sf line up of: Li v. Kanpei/kvitova and Zvonereva v. Pironkova. :tape::tape:

great job Serena! don't care how you won just that you got it done.

Yes...that semifinal lineup would've been :spit:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM

"choked?"

5-all first set? hadn't broken serena so the set was always dead even...what "chock"?

Lacrish
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Expected,only shame is that Na should have hold it to the 6-5 in the 1st set but stupid DFS ruined that :o
Still a good effort,Na :hug:
hardly see anyone can beat Serena when she maintains her serve to a high level,which is an important weapon on grass
Finally,congrats Serena.It's just a matter of time for her to get the trophy to save the Wimbledon IMO

silverwhite
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Are those people who say Serena played well off the ground serious? :help:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:13 PM

AMEN???!?! :worship:

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:15 PM
:haha: People STILL moaning about Serena's serve? Mannn!!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:16 PM

she did...or is playing well off the ground only determined by if she hits her opponent off the court

serena plays smart..understand what many fans here don't understand in that she doesn't have to be going for winners if her game is not in destruction mode...smart play of the ground is still playing well off the ground

she didn't go down in a flaming pile of shit like the terror of veerror ode to serenidad did on court 1 trying to go full out on each shot

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
:haha: People STILL moaning about Serena's serve? Mannn!!

she didn't even serve that well today so i guess she didn't win

tae04
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yay Serena. You saved the day.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Nice, nice.....keep it up, babygirl!

simonsaystennis
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Thank God! Great job Serena! Pleeeeease win this!

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
5 pages??? :(

The haters didn't get the upset they were hoping and praying for:lol: Instead they have created a thread to bitch about players chocking against Serena:lol:

Serenita
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Yes she played great of the ground. Didnt give Na any pace and it worked perfectly

Ntosake
That's the way to handle business, Serena! Stay focused, one match at a time.

Good tourney run Na Li.

Lacrish

true

NeoZod19
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The haters didn't get the upset they were hoping and praying for:lol: Instead they have created a thread to bitch about players chocking against Serena:lol:

:haha: I think you are right!

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yes she played great of the ground. Didnt give Na any pace and it worked perfectly

wrong...great off the ground means serena is hitting winners from everywhere :tape:

silverwhite
she did...or is playing well off the ground only determined by if she hits her opponent off the court

serena plays smart..understand what many fans here don't understand in that she doesn't have to be going for winners if her game is not in destruction mode...smart play of the ground is still playing well off the ground

she didn't go down in a flaming pile of shit like the terror of veerror ode to serenidad did on court 1 trying to go full out on each shot

She hit so many errors though, especially going for too much again off the return... :help:

BuTtErFrEnA

:rolls:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:32 PM
She hit so many errors though, especially going for too much again off the return... :help:

her return isn't clicking...that doesn't mean she played shit off the ground

na didn't outhit her, out rally her or anything...serena played consistent off the ground KNOWING her game wasn't in a place like last year's qf for example..and li is no push over on grass so being SMART she didn't try doing too much

did she make errors? sure...but using her brain and playing it safe, and getting li to hit an extra ball at times does the job which also classifies as playing well off the ground

Mrs. Peel
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Serena was so outplayed by Na that she didn't even lose a set! :lol:

Renee
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
one match at a time, Rena..... stay focused

silverwhite
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM
her return isn't clicking...that doesn't mean she played shit off the ground

na didn't outhit her, out rally her or anything...serena played consistent off the ground KNOWING her game wasn't in a place like last year's qf for example..and li is no push over on grass so being SMART she didn't try doing too much

did she make errors? sure...but using her brain and playing it safe, and getting li to hit an extra ball at times does the job which also classifies as playing well off the ground

And what shot do you use when returning? Yes, groundstrokes

And she didn't take pace off her groundstrokes until almost halfway through the match. She still has much to work on off the ground :)

bandabou

:lol: Mannn, what DOES it take to take a set off Serena>

mdterp01

Exactly...people can be so f*cking stupid!! :rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Serena has been outhit off the ground all tournament. Everyone has been pushing her back, making her hit off the backfoot, and dictating against her. If her ignorant fans can't see that, then oh well. She'll still win the event anyways.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Serena has been outhit off the ground all tournament. Everyone has been pushing her back, making her hit off the backfoot, and dictating against her. If her ignorant fans can't see that, then oh well. She'll still win the event anyways.

And so what? She's still winning in straight sets. Yeah, congrats to Na Li for beating Serena off the ground. And then what? That's why Serena's hit 73 aces..no need for rallies. GOAT!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Winning like a #1 should.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
And what shot do you use when returning? Yes, groundstrokes

And she didn't take pace off her groundstrokes until almost halfway through the match. She still has much to work on off the ground :)

she does have to work on somethings...but to suggest that people are deluded to say she played well off the ground is preposterous

as for her ros: her ros can be clicking and when she's in a rally the shots go completely off so i don't include her return when talking about her ground game :shrug: similarly i've seen times where her return ISN'T working and the rest of her ground game throughout a rally is...

she cleaned up her game nicely today after some early misses...played smartly and took her chances...solid match...she won...i'm not a complainer like some of you seem to be

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:48 PM

outhit? :lol: hardly

Apoleb
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:52 PM

This is why I hate watching Serena on grass. Her ground game and her sloppy footwork don't translate well on grass, but her serve is so ridiculous and everyone else seems so shitty that it doesn't matter anyway. Ugh. Enough with the WTA for this week.

The Dawntreader
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:54 PM

This has been the case for around 3 years now.

But as long as her serve-return gels, then the pressure from the baseline recedes.

rucolo
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Well done, Serena!;):bounce:

Serena did what she had to do.
Nothing more, nothing less.

11 Aces, 1 DF.

Serena has to improve her return.
And serve consistently at a high level.

Gdsimmons
Jun 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Serena is just amazing!! She played better this match I think. She hit better angles, her ground game was better, not amazing, but better. If she continues to play like this, no reason we shouldnt see her on Saturday!!
YAY SERENA!! WOOT WOOT

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Post of the year! :rolls: :lol: :sobbing:

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
This is why I hate watching Serena on grass. Her ground game and her sloppy footwork don't translate well on grass, but her serve is so ridiculous and everyone else seems so shitty that it doesn't matter anyway. Ugh. Enough with the WTA for this week.

Grass definitely isn't her best surface. Her FH depth can betray her. Too much spin with the grip. A lot of mishits off the FH side. She can still summon up 1 or 2 clean enough points per game to assist in getting a break. The reason why Serena can succeed on grass relative to her contemporaries is because in general all it takes is 1 mistake in an overall service game and you've lost the set.

Flat, deeper hitters like Sharapova and Li definitely have their chances on the ground. Serena's serve just doesn't allow anyone to fully exploit her weaknesses on this surface though.

This has been the case for around 3 years now.

But as long as her serve-return gels, then the pressure from the baseline recedes.

Yes, I agree. Serena has been getting consistently outdone from the baseline for a while now. Dementieva, Li, Azarenka, and then even more obscure players all can outplay her from the baseline.

The thing was Serena realized that if she is going to rely on this hybrid pushing game that she at least needed to get fitter to maximize her mobility and endurance again which was her main fault in 2007.

gmokb
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Winning like a #1 should.

:worship::worship::worship:

I can't undersdtand how the game greats are commending Serena for having that serving ability and these non-players, who couldn't hit a slam to save their lives, are acting as if she's no good because of it.:confused:

Hatred and envy can really blind. Bet there would be no problem if their favs had this ability.:eek:

Safin
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
What a predictable choke this was.

Mina Vagante
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Grass definitely isn't her best surface. Her FH depth can betray her. Too much spin with the grip. A lot of mishits off the FH side. She can still summon up 1 or 2 clean enough points per game to assist in getting a break. The reason why Serena can succeed on grass relative to her contemporaries is because in general all it takes is 1 mistake in an overall service game and you've lost the set.

Flat, deeper hitters like Sharapova and Li definitely have their chances on the ground. Serena's serve just doesn't allow anyone to fully exploit her weaknesses on this surface though.

Yes, I agree. Serena has been getting consistently outdone from the baseline for a while now. Dementieva, Li, Azarenka, and then even more obscure players all can outplay her from the baseline.

The thing was Serena realized that if she is going to rely on this hybrid pushing game that she at least needed to get fitter to maximize her mobility and endurance again which was her main fault in 2007.

:tape:

mdterp01
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM

:lol: Exactly...and it was Serena being upset that the haters really wanted. They will take Venus of course to avoid the All Williams final and to have one taken care of, but its Serena who they really wanted gone!! Now with this semifinal lineup, :lol:

silverwhite
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
she does have to work on somethings...but to suggest that people are deluded to say she played well off the ground is preposterous

as for her ros: her ros can be clicking and when she's in a rally the shots go completely off so i don't include her return when talking about her ground game :shrug: similarly i've seen times where her return ISN'T working and the rest of her ground game throughout a rally is...

she cleaned up her game nicely today after some early misses...played smartly and took her chances...solid match...she won...i'm not a complainer like some of you seem to be

No, it's not. To say she played well off the ground is preposterous. I would say she played decently at best :shrug:

Explain again how returns are not part of the ground game :scratch:

tennnisfannn
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
:worship::worship::worship:

I can't undersdtand how the game greats are commending Serena for having that serving ability and these non-players, who couldn't hit a slam to save their lives, are acting as if she's no good because of it.:confused:

Hatred and envy can really blind. Bet there would be no problem if their favs had this ability.:eek:
Players who only have a serve tend to play lots of tie breaks which serena does not. Look at the likes of Karlovic. Serena plays whatever she has to play to win, she has won matches making mre errors than winners by winning the big points, she has won matches with barely a serve- serena can do it all. Didn't she say she went home to practise her serve for wimbledon, if a serve helps her win matches, then that she should work on day and night!

AnDrEi.b
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Na :sad:

JN
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
This place is nuts!! :lol: @ all the crybabies.

HRHoliviasmith
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
This place is nuts!! :lol: @ all the crybabies.

:lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

winone23
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM
well done Serena!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Well done Rena :yeah: I smell lucky #13 coming on Saturday ;):bounce:

Nice try Na :bounce:. WB to the Top 10 on Monday :yeah:

is1531
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Serena hits the ball like a person that is 6ft3". She has extremely muscular arms and shoulders. I have seens her listed at 135lbs. She looks more like 170lbs.

Sp!ffy
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Woohoo. I would have died if it was Li-Kvitova, Pironkova-Zvonareva .

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM

The thing was Serena realized that if she is going to rely on this hybrid pushing game that she at least needed to get fitter to maximize her mobility and endurance again which was her main fault in 2007.So now Serena is a hybrid pusher? :lol::lol:
Hilarious. See YEC 2009/AO Final 2010

Whatever you think of her game and her baseline prowess, I'd much rather her play and make the necessary adjustments against these girls than play like Venus does. She played brilliantly against Li today. Venus tries to outhit and overpower these girls, and you see what happens to her. Sometimes it works (Dubai Final), most times it doesnt (Madrid F, AO 2010 QF, today). Most of the young girls playing right now hit their average shot harder than Serena, so it makes no sense for Serena to try to go out there and try to outhit them in every rally, her consistency will suffer.

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
:nerner:Keep crying, keep crying...oh the serve, oh the poor footwerk...neeh neehhh!!

Bijoux0021
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Serena hits the ball like a person that is 6ft3". She has extremely muscular arms and shoulders. I have seens her listed at 135lbs. She looks more like 170lbs.
:lol: That's all you got? You're whining about Serena's height and weight? :o

You must feel so miserable right now that you didn't get the outcome you were hoping for. :wavey:

Monirena Wiles
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
All the latest talk now is that Serena doesn't have a ground game. Why did she win her first three rounds 6-0 without a ground game. Did all her opponents double fault themselves out of each and every game?

She has broken every opponent she has played at least twice and at least once per set. How do you explain this without a ground game?

manu32
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Serena is carrying the WTA on her shoulders,ALONE....this match was very easy for her....she needs real opponents and she needs to win wimby for the sake of women tennis ....

LudwigDvorak
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
So now Serena is a hybrid pusher? :lol::lol:
Hilarious. See YEC 2009/AO Final 2010

Whatever you think of her game and her baseline prowess, I'd much rather her play and make the necessary adjustments against these girls than play like Venus does. She played brilliantly against Li today. Venus tries to outhit and overpower these girls, and you see what happens to her. Sometimes it works (Dubai Final), most times it doesnt (Madrid F, AO 2010 QF, today). Most of the young girls playing right now hit their average shot harder than Serena, so it makes no sense for Serena to try to go out there and try to outhit them in every rally, her consistency will suffer.

Serena has been a hybrid pusher for a while now. It isn't an insult as people think. AO Final 2010 is actually a great example of this.

Outside of a few absolutely lightning returns, she played very measured off the ground. She exploited the angles of the court and even used the slice backhand effectively.

Serena has been outplayed as a whole from the baseline for a while now as a whole. She got completely manipulated by Clijsters last year in New York and was unable to impose any type of force to break up Clijsters control of the baseline. Dementieva completely takes advantage of Serena's hybrid pushing as well see Canada 2009 and well really any of the meetings Elena has won.

Most of her losses are coming from Serena simply not being in control of enough points once her opponents get her serve in play. Stosur this year, Clijsters last year, Dementieva, when she was losing to Henin in 2007, the list goes on.

hotandspicey
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Woohoo. I would have died if it was Li-Kvitova, Pironkova-Zvonareva .

Rena would never let that happen.:lol: Pova need you alive:devil:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Serena has been a hybrid pusher for a while now. It isn't an insult as people think. AO Final 2010 is actually a great example of this.

Outside of a few absolutely lightning returns, she played very measured off the ground. She exploited the angles of the court and even used the slice backhand effectively.

Serena has been outplayed as a whole from the baseline for a while now as a whole. She got completely manipulated by Clijsters last year in New York and was unable to impose any type of force to break up Clijsters control of the baseline. Dementieva completely takes advantage of Serena's hybrid pushing as well see Canada 2009 and well really any of the meetings Elena has won.

Most of her losses are coming from Serena simply not being in control of enough points once her opponents get her serve in play. Stosur this year, Clijsters last year, Dementieva, when she was losing to Henin in 2007, the list goes on.

and then she absolutely demolished the majority of these players at one point or another...so what if she doesn't go all out all the time...as i said

having ground game insulted and winning >>>>>>>>>>>>> going down like a flaming pile of shit

Gdsimmons
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Serena played a tactical game. She knew what Li na was capable of and adjusted accordingly, thats why she only had 6 UEs.

manu32
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM
This Ludwig needs a coke push

Calypso
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Great job, Serena! Good luck in the semis.

Olórin
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Get on with it Rena!

Stamp Paid
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Most of her losses are coming from Serena simply not being in control of enough points once her opponents get her serve in play. Stosur this year, Clijsters last year, Dementieva, when she was losing to Henin in 2007, the list goes on.Most of her losses come from her not giving a shit outside of the slams. You know what happens to Dementieva when Serena is focused and motivated, AO 2009, Wimbledon 2009, YEC 2009. And Clijsters at the USO is an extraordinary case, Serena had not played Clijsters or even a player like Clijsters since 2003, so she was shell shocked by Clijsters spin dragging her outwide on her backhand side and amazing defense, so struggled with making the proper adjustments. And even then, she was toe to toe with Clijsters in that second until the foot fault/point penalty. Serena will approach her next match vs Clijsters completely differently, believe me. The game that Serena played against Li today is the same game she usually plays against Li, you can call her shift in tactics pushing if you want. Serena doesn't play a hybrid pushing game against Venus, or Justine, or Kuznetsova, or Jankovic, or Ivanovic. She uses her superior athleticism and uses the angles of the court against players like Rezai, Azarenka, Li, most of the dumb young 1 dimensional ball bashing girls instead of trying to outhit them. And her H2H against them all is so successful because of this approach.

Kunal
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:32 PM
rena all the way

sandv1
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Just another day at the office for Ree. :D :yeah:

bandabou
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
:haha: Dementieva....and then when it's a big match, what happens with Dementieva?

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Most of her losses come from her not giving a shit outside of the slams. You know what happens to Dementieva when Serena is focused and motivated, AO 2009, Wimbledon 2009, YEC 2009. And Clijsters at the USO is an extraordinary case, Serena had not played Clijsters or even a player like Clijsters since 2003, so she was shell shocked by Clijsters spin dragging her outwide on her backhand side and amazing defense, so struggled with making the proper adjustments. And even then, she was toe to toe with Clijsters in that second until the foot fault/point penalty. Serena will approach her next match vs Clijsters completely differently, believe me. The game that Serena played against Li today is the same game she usually plays against Li, you can call her shift in tactics pushing if you want. Serena doesn't play a hybrid pushing game against Venus, or Justine, or Kuznetsova, or Jankovic, or Ivanovic. She uses her superior athleticism and uses the angles of the court against players like Rezai, Azarenka, Li, most of the dumb young 1 dimensional ball bashing girls instead of trying to outhit them. And her H2H against them all is so successful because of this approach.

since when are you this good :unsure: :kiss:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 29th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Congrats Serena :yeah: Solid win!

Good luck in the next round :hug:

nelsondan
Jun 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
This is the best Serena has played all tournament off the ground!! And ONLY 11 aces, :lol:
Keep it up!

If you are wondering who gave her a tougher match---do you look at the 11 aces compared to the 19 against Maria as evidence that Maria was too slow to react, or do you look at the score and those two missed set points at 6-4 in the tiebreaker as evidence that Maria gave her a harder time?

Looks to me like Maria gave her the tougher match---Serena was serving......very strongly.

nadlinds
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Good win Serena :)

:bounce::bounce:

moby
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
It's the Sampras model. GOAT serve to hold virtually every time, otherwise play blah throughout the entire match except for a couple of minutes of genius that allows you to get a break, maybe two. Your opponent's lapses will take care of the other breaks if necessary.

Not the most entertaining or jaw-dropping tennis, but if you can execute, arguably the most effective tennis.

Serena has been doing this for a while now.

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Serena has been unbelievably consistent this tournament. Best she's played and served in YEARS. or longer.
2 more matches to win, babydoll! so proud of yoU!

DefyingGravity
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Come on Sampras-rena!

Donny
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:39 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Li so disappointing, but I guess I never really thought you could do it.

I will say that Serena has been outplayed from the ground for the majority of her matches. She was being pushed back, dictated, overpowered by Li. She played smart and used her experience. Started taking something off the ball and defending more using the pressure of Li knowing she has to hold to scare breaks out of her.

Typical Serena performance + Typical Li performance.

How does someone getting outplayed from the ground break three times?

What you probably meant was, "in the majority of games, Serena was outplayed from the ground, only to play better than her opponents on important break points or set points."

Pasta-Na
Jun 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM
na :sad:

iPatty
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
It's the Sampras model. GOAT serve to hold virtually every time, otherwise play blah throughout the entire match except for a couple of minutes of genius that allows you to get a break, maybe two. Your opponent's lapses will take care of the other breaks if necessary.

Not the most entertaining or jaw-dropping tennis, but if you can execute, arguably the most effective tennis.

Serena has been doing this for a while now.

Great insight. I came in here to post this very same thought myself.

Serena has been about conserving energy for a while. She no longer cares about winning quickly or playing flashy tennis and showing off her power to the crowd and her opponent. Instead, like moby said, she throws down some big serves and focuses on each and every point in her service games and then relies on lapses from her opponents to engineer breaks. Sampras had the exact same approach and it worked pretty well for him, I'd say.

Hope to see Serena win it all, even over Kvitova. :shrug:

Marty-Dom
Jun 30th, 2010, 02:25 AM
So I just watched the first set again. Serena was absolutely not outplayed from the ground. Even taking the aces out of the equation, she won more points, had more winners and fewer unforced errors. Na hit a few more memorable points so it might seem to some people that she outplayed Serena, especially since many of her shots were flatter and harder. But most of the points she lost were clearly forced errors that Serena earned through her own strategy and execution.

Second set was dominated by Serena, so it's not even worth analyzing from this perspective.

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM
The final was over anyway :rolleyes:
She beat Sharapova 7-6 6-4 to win her 13th grand slam title.

Go Rena! :inlove:

Apoleb
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Great insight. I came in here to post this very same thought myself.

Serena has been about conserving energy for a while. She no longer cares about winning quickly or playing flashy tennis and showing off her power to the crowd and her opponent. Instead, like moby said, she throws down some big serves and focuses on each and every point in her service games and then relies on lapses from her opponents to engineer breaks. Sampras had the exact same approach and it worked pretty well for him, I'd say.

Hope to see Serena win it all, even over Kvitova. :shrug:

The idea that she's conserving energy and no longer cares about winning quickly is absurd and isn't a good explanation. This is the same woman who absolutely trounced Sharapova a couple of times, Safina and Dementieva in the last 3 years, and it mostly happened in the AO. When was the last time she implemented shock and awe so efficiently on grass as she does on HC? It's purely a surface thing. She's just not as effective on grass from the baseline because of her positioning and footwork, and grass completely punishes you for that. She doesn't find herself in position or make the necessary adjustments with irregular bounces. It's no surprise that she was almost beaten by Dementieva, faced set points against Zheng and still wins rather closely even in the latter stages of Wimbledon. Of course she's still the best on the surface, because her serve gives her a ridiculous advantage there in the woman's game, and no one is anywhere close.

supergrunt
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Serena didn't bring her A+ ground game out today for a reason- Li likes pace!

iPatty
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:35 AM
The idea that she's conserving energy and no longer cares about winning quickly is absurd and isn't a good explanation. This is the same woman who absolutely trounced Sharapova a couple of times, Safina and Dementieva in the last 3 years, and it mostly happened in the AO. When was the last time she implemented shock and awe so efficiently on grass as she does on HC? It's purely a surface thing. She's just not as effective on grass from the baseline because of her positioning and footwork, and grass completely punishes you for that. She doesn't find herself in position or make the necessary adjustments with irregular bounces. It's no surprise that she was almost beaten by Dementieva, faced set points against Zheng and still wins rather closely even in the latter stages of Wimbledon. Of course she's still the best on the surface, because her serve gives her a ridiculous advantage there in the woman's game, and no one is anywhere close.

The matches you referenced were against extremely dangerous top five level players in the later rounds of Slams. I am talking about her performances this year in the early rounds of majors (up until the semis and sometimes even the final) and in non-slam events. The intensity that she brings in the semis and finals of big tournaments is obviously not even close to what she brings in the early rounds. I'm not saying she plays every match this way. :lol:

Apoleb
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:40 AM
The matches you referenced were against extremely dangerous top five level players in the later rounds of Slams. I am talking about her performances this year in the early rounds of majors (up until the semis and sometimes even the final) and in non-slam events. The intensity that she brings in the semis and finals of big tournaments is obviously not even close to what she brings in the early rounds. I'm not saying she plays every match this way. :lol:

Yes, but the thing is, even in the latter stages of Wimbledon in the last 3 years (Semis and finals), she hasn't looked as impressive from the ground. The matches against Dementieva and Zheng that I mentioned were semis. Maybe she can prove us wrong this time, but I think her "issues" from the ground in Wimbledon are more related with the surface than not bothering. I do agree that she doesn't want to waste energy in the early rounds and likes to peak later. But I also think she really wanted a 61 60 beating of Sharapova this time around. :lol:

moby
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:43 AM
The matches you referenced were against extremely dangerous top five level players in the later rounds of Slams. I am talking about her performances this year in the early rounds of majors (up until the semis and sometimes even the final) and in non-slam events. The intensity that she brings in the semis and finals of big tournaments is obviously not even close to what she brings in the early rounds. I'm not saying she plays every match this way. :lol:Not to mention that she had her fair share of scares and stinkers even in the AO.

Henin and Azarenka '10, Kuznetsova '09, Peer and Petrova '07, Davenport (?) and Sharapova '05, Clijsters and Loit '03.

I think a serve-centric game allows her to channel her mental energy in the most efficient way (Speaking from experience, I've had patches in the past when my game came together and I found it mentally easiest to keep my serve and work on getting that one or two breaks per set rather than go all out in every game.) In fact, this was how she took it from Justine in the third set of the Australian.

To put it another way, your opponent feels a lot more hopeless in a 6-4 6-4 loss in which they can't even get a sniff at your serve, than in a 6-3 6-3 break-fest loss.

Gdsimmons
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I dont care if her ground game is completely shitty, as long as she pulls out the win at the end I honesty do not care

Brαm
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Please win the title, Serena!

friendsita
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:04 AM
don't worry, she will

Carotastrophe
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Na :hug:

Sp!ffy
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Wtf Na. Seriously. She played nothing like she did against Sharapova in Birmingham and this is the actual stage...:rolleyes:

StephenUK
Jun 30th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Another superb performance from Serena. She is the only top player who can be relied on to do well in the slams, the rest are totally hopeless. Well done to her.

Na Li totally blew it at 5-5 in the first set - you can't be that profligate against Serena Williams!

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM

And see that's the smart thing by Serena. She knows, accepts this reality...she knows that she no longer can afford those lengthy rallies...because her movement isn't as good as it used to be.

So she turns to the weapon that totally seperates her from the rest of the tour: a GOAT-serve. Now she only has to go all-out once or twice in a set and that was it. Very smart!

Venus should take a notice!

Thanx4nothin
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM

How do you be outhit off the ground and win 2 rounds 6-0 6-1, 6-0, 6-4? :tape:

Serena is doing exactly what needs to be done to get the win, and she seems unwilling to give anymore than that. She's clearly trying to conserve energy for the latest stage of the tournament. The only match she attempted to play lights out in was against Sharapova, and Maria was coming up with a bit too much to let Serena fully take control, like she had done in AO and Miami 07.

Thanx4nothin
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:07 AM
And see that's the smart thing by Serena. She knows, accepts this reality...she knows that she no longer can afford those lengthy rallies...because her movement isn't as good as it used to be.

So she turns to the weapon that totally seperates her from the rest of the tour: a GOAT-serve. Now she only has to go all-out once or twice in a set and that was it. Very smart!

Venus should take a notice!

I agree with all your post, but Venus doesn't and never did have a serve in the same league as Serena's IMHO.

Beat
Jun 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Step.

do you ever post anything else after serena's wins? :confused:

i think na blew a huge chance for winning a slam here.

Corswandt
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Upthread the resident commentariat is comparing Serena's serving performances at the English Open to Sampras', but I felt that yesterday's was closer to one of those routine Roddick wins on US hardcourts. :help: Particularly in the sense that you are left with the feeling that, once someone manages to return Serena's serve, she's toast, but unfortunately nobody seems to be able to do so. So it's holding serve with ease, and waiting for your opponent, constantly under pressure to hold, to giftwrap you the lone break you need to take the set - the Roddick MO.

Like other people have remarked, Serena has been getting away with being outplayed in rallies for a while now, and her return game has been dreadful - all the breaks she got yesterday were giftwrapped by Li.

This becomes disheartening for her opponents after a while, since in the WTA typically you can expect to eventually break your opponent if you're otherwise outplaying her, but this hasn't been the case in the matches Serena has played so far in this tournament. I remember a game in which Li got to 30-30 after raising her game and playing a couple of superb rallies, and then Serena hits an ace - BAM. Li just shook her head, and I felt that in the 2nd set she had pretty much given up on the match. Perhaps as much due to the way in which she surrendered the previous set as to her inability to break Serena, but still.

Getting broken just twice in five matches. :scared:

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I agree with all your post, but Venus doesn't and never did have a serve in the same league as Serena's IMHO.

Uhumm....but people forget that this has always been Serena's calling card.

Look back how she won the ' 99 u.s. open, the serve was already there..led the tournament with 5-something aces, as a 17 year old kid!

bandabou
Jun 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Upthread the resident commentariat is comparing Serena's serving performances at the English Open to Sampras', but I felt that yesterday's was closer to one of those routine Roddick wins on US hardcourts. :help: Particularly in the sense that you are left with the feeling that, once someone manages to return Serena's serve, she's toast, but unfortunately nobody seems to be able to do so. So it's holding serve with ease, and waiting for your opponent, constantly under pressure to hold, to giftwrap you the lone break you need to take the set - the Roddick MO.

Like other people have remarked, Serena has been getting away with being outplayed in rallies for a while now, and her return game has been dreadful - all the breaks she got yesterday were giftwrapped by Li.

This becomes disheartening for her opponents after a while, since in the WTA typically you can expect to eventually break your opponent if you're otherwise outplaying her, but this hasn't been the case in the matches Serena has played so far in this tournament. I remember a game in which Li got to 30-30 after raising her game and playing a couple of superb rallies, and then Serena hits an ace - BAM. Li just shook her head, and I felt that in the 2nd set she had pretty much given up on the match. Perhaps as much due to the way in which she surrendered the previous set as to her inability to break Serena, but still.

Getting broken just twice in five matches. :scared:

:lol: U must be a Dementieva-fan. Just shows you that the SERVE is the most important shot in tennis.

What use is to it when you outplay your opponent off the ground but can't hold serve? Serena's the smart one..focus on the serve and have enough groundgame that you can at least hold your own in the odd rally. Brilliant!

seltzer3
Jun 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I know people are criticizing Na Li for choking in this match. However, at least Na Li can pride herself (even if its not a really high standard), that she is one of the few top 20 players doesn't lose to random nobodies in Grand Slams. She is one of the few players that actually live up to their rankings.

moby
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Upthread the resident commentariat is comparing Serena's serving performances at the English Open to Sampras', but I felt that yesterday's was closer to one of those routine Roddick wins on US hardcourts. :help: Particularly in the sense that you are left with the feeling that, once someone manages to return Serena's serve, she's toast, but unfortunately nobody seems to be able to do so. So it's holding serve with ease, and waiting for your opponent, constantly under pressure to hold, to giftwrap you the lone break you need to take the set - the Roddick MO.Hmm, the key difference between Roddick and Sampras is that Sampras has those few minutes of genius to call on to get the crucial break when he needs to. Roddick is fundamentally incapable of hitting winners from the baseline and is completely dependent on his opponent's poor serving to get the break. There's also much more on Sampras's serve (placement, spin, disguise) than Roddick's even if Roddick can up the pace, which makes more more entertaining viewing, at least insofar as serves can be entertaining.... Serve-wise, Sampras:Roddick::Serena:Venus.

Corswandt
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hmm, the key difference between Roddick and Sampras is that Sampras has those few minutes of genius to call on to get the crucial break when he needs to. Roddick is fundamentally incapable of hitting winners from the baseline and is completely dependent on his opponent's poor serving to get the break. There's also much more on Sampras's serve (placement, spin, disguise) than Roddick's even if Roddick can up the pace, which makes more more entertaining viewing, at least insofar as serves can be entertaining.... Serve-wise, Sampras:Roddick::Serena:Venus.

What has been bothering me is that it didn't feel as if Serena was in cruise control and then all of a sudden stepped it up and ripped a couple of big returns to get the break(s) she needed. Yesterday it really looked as if she was merely waiting for Li to giftwrap them to her. And I'll grant that's a sound game plan, Li being Li, but still. It's The Shock of the New I suppose: we just aren't used to a single (often unearned) break fatally meaning the decision of a set in the women's game.

Serenita
Jun 30th, 2010, 06:42 PM
do you ever post anything else after serena's wins? :confused:

i think na blew a huge chance for winning a slam here.

Can't believe this, there are people on this board who trully believe that NA LI, can beat Serena Williams on FUCKING GRASS.

:lol:

mykarma
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:00 AM

Who gives a damn as long as she wins?

mykarma
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:21 AM
I dont care if her ground game is completely shitty, as long as she pulls out the win at the end I honesty do not care

I was going to post exactly the same thing. :lol:

Congrats Serena! :D
this

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
...Serena has been getting consistently outdone from the baseline for a while now. Dementieva, Li, Azarenka, and then even more obscure players all can outplay her from the baseline.

Lud', WTF are you talkin' about?

Seriously, come on? You make it sound like Serena has NO ground game and the only reason she wins is her serve. Seriously? Are you saying there are two Sam Stosurs on tour.

How many times have we watched Serena grind her way through a draw because her serve WASN'T working? Plenty, I dare say. Dementieva didn't lose the semi last year only because of Serena's serve. Their were PLENTY of opportunities for Serena to go belly-up off the ground in that match and she didn't. She played well enough off the ground to WIN. Matter of fact, I'm not exactly sure about the serving stats that match, but I'd say ED served out of her MIND last year. That being equal, it can be argued that Serena's GROUND game put her in a position where her serve actually was relevant enough to give her the match.

I'm finding, more and more, people's need to belittle Serena by reducing her to a player who ONLY has a good serve very revealing.

claypova
Jul 1st, 2010, 07:11 AM
i cant believe im gona say this, but well done serena :bounce:

i cannot bear this wimbledon to be a RG 2010 repeat

bandabou
Jul 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
What has been bothering me is that it didn't feel as if Serena was in cruise control and then all of a sudden stepped it up and ripped a couple of big returns to get the break(s) she needed. Yesterday it really looked as if she was merely waiting for Li to giftwrap them to her. And I'll grant that's a sound game plan, Li being Li, but still. It's The Shock of the New I suppose: we just aren't used to a single (often unearned) break fatally meaning the decision of a set in the women's game.

:lol: So THAT is your problem...you rather watch a breakfest then a good-serving match. No wonder you can't stand Serena's game. :lol: